Home
Posted By: Jn316 Hey lets introduce ourselves - 11/03/00
Howdy fella's. I'm Ray and reside in Texas near Dallas. This year I'm hunting on some borrowed land, just didn't have time to get a lease after loosing the one we had. For those not familar with Texas there's almost no public land, its all private and you generally have to pay to hunt. And I dont like it but thats just the way it is and for some of the ranches its a considerable income. <BR> <BR>I shoot a 6.5x55, 280 Rem, 25-06, 7mm STW, 240 Gibbs, and the big boy a 50x31/4 Sharps. Right now the one that gets out the most is the 240 Gibbs. Picked up reloading back in 76 and cant turn it loose for long at all it seems.<BR> <BR>So how about yall......Ray
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 11/05/00
Ray:<P>Hi. I'm Dante and I live in Winterhaven, California. It's a little town just near the California, Arizona, Old Mexico borders.<P>Out here, we get lots of doves, Gambels quail, and some pheasants in the crop. There are also some pretty impressive desert muleys, but there aren't too many and they aren't easy to hunt. Plus we got craploads of rabbits, coyotes, and mountain lions around.<P>I like a 30-06 Remington 700 and a 20-gauge pump for most of my huntinm. One of these days I'd like to get myself a .338, though I don't know what I'd use it on around here.<P>Dan<P> <P>
Posted By: RobP Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 11/05/00
Currently I'm in Ottawa, Canada. I've been here since the summer having moved for job & family reasons. Prior to this I was in Alberta and boy do I miss the hunting there!!! I hunt deer, moose, ducks and upland game. I shoot and reload for 30-06, 308, 7mmSTW. Bolt actions are my preferred rifle, but I do have a soft spot for a nice Win Model 88 in 308 that I have. For upland game I use a model 870 pump 12 ga.<P>I was posting/reading the board at shooters.com, but with their latest mods to their website I can no longer post messages. Anybody else here from shooters.com??<P>Rob
Posted By: rembo Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 11/14/00
RobP and everyone. Comin' at you from Alberta Canada. RobP misses Alberta for a good reason. Some of the best hunting on the continent. I live 2 to 2-1/2 hours from moose/elk and black bear country and right among some of the best farmland whitetail hunting you'll find. Been shooting and reloading for about 11 years.Currently have a crop of 7 Rem 700's,(they seen to follow me home)in 223,220 Swift,243,6mm,25-06,7 Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag. Reload for all of them.I am totally fed up with the shooters.com boards. Organized confusion over there.Hope this turns out better.<BR>RobP. tell me about your 7 STW. I'm contemplating one. What can I say,I love speed.
Welcome all!<P>I'm Rick, your humble editor. This BB is for you. If you need any help posting pictures, or whatever, you can e-mail me at [email protected]. We aim to please!<P>I live in Southern Kalifornia, but my heart is in the Rocky Mountains and Great Plains. I've been shotgunning since I was five, and hunting big game since I was thirteen. Needless to say, I live for the fall.<P>I'll be skeddaling out to my favorite hunting state tonight, and probably won't be home 'til Thanksgiving. So Happy Turkey Day to all, and may your bird be wild. [Linked Image]<P>Rick
Posted By: RobP Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 11/17/00
Rembo,<BR>I bought my stw a couple of years ago from Crappy Tire in Cowtown. I used it to shoot a mule deer last season. I won't be hunting with it this year due to the different terrain/hunt style here in Ont. I really like the gun I have the Sendero with the stainless fluted barrel - topped with a Vari X II 4X12 AO. You can notice the weight with this rifle, but it is certainly carriable (is that a word) in the field. I took it out near Little Fish Lake (east of Drum) and walked all day in the hills last year. It is very accurate, however, I have found it that it takes some experimenting to get the handloads worked up nice. I still haven't found one that I'm super happy with. The best factory load I've found is the Speer Nitrex 145 gr Grand Slam - group between .5 to .75 inch at 100 yds off the bench. Believe it or not, I've been considering selling it as I can really only see myself shooting it at the range out here. I also picked up a nice little laminated stock Model 7 in 308, which I'm trying to make into the ideal close brush gun. Did you get any tags this year? Rob
Hello <BR>My name is Bruce and I am new to your board, I live in a small town in Wisconsin where the deer are as plentiful as rabbits,<BR>My current rifles that I use are 300 Win mag which I have been useing for more years that I care to count and a back up 3006 both are bolt actions, to which I hand load for. My job has taken me all over the rockies as well as the plains hunting but the place I enjoy the most is Milstone,Mont. hunting mule deer and antilope. In the near by canon was my first encounter with a big bears you know the kind with silver on the back.<BR>
Hi everyone. I am Bill and live in Jackson Hole Wyoming. Born and raised in NY state for 36 years. Moved to Wyoming in 1989. Love my elk hunting.
Posted By: rembo Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 11/18/00
RobP, so you were down in Southern Alberta eh? I'm up north just out of Edmonton.A hunting buddy of mine is from Southern Ontario and his Dad and two brothers hunt there. Completely different terrain and style like you say. The Sendero may not be practical.The little M7 308 sounds like the just the ticket judging by what I've heard of the area.I've been thinking of an STW since I picked up a nice 7 Rem Mag a while back. I thought if 3200 with a 140 is good , then 3500 must be better. Who can't see the logic in that? If you do decide to sell it I'm sure it would love to return to Alberta. [Linked Image] I got drawn for bull moose in WMU339. Which is west of Drayton Valley,south of the Pembina River.I was out there last Friday/Saturday.Saw nothing but whitetails and two cow moose.Going back next Friday/Saturday for one last kick at the cat. Good luck hunting in Ontario. [Linked Image]
Posted By: rembo Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 11/18/00
Oh yeah , we also saw 4 cow elk out there in WMU338,north of the river. I think I'm gonna spend some time camping and ATV'ing out there next summer.Do some scouting. Or maybe a bear-hunting in the spring.
Posted By: RobP Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 11/18/00
Rembo,<BR>If you are interested in the sendero, send me an email at [email protected] I may not be able to respond until next weekend as I'm heading off for a week deer hunting today. Good luck with the moose. I had a bull tag last year in the Water Valley, but got skunked. Rob
Hi!! I am <B><I>Critr</I></B>, and if you look around, you will find my posts and photos scattered liberally. I am a lifelong hunter, a retired engineer, and do a bit of guiding varmint hunters. You can see my web page for details. I also do research on the internet for an educational publishing company, write a few magazine articles, and am forming a judgment recovery company. Born in Ky, raised in Ill on a farm, married young, farmed 9 years, then studied engineering at the Univ of Ill. Lived, and hunted, in Ky, Ill, Wisc, Calif, Tenn, and Ariz.<BR>Love to hunt. No longer have the desire to hunt in 2 feet of snow and drag elk out. Been there, done that! [Linked Image]<BR>Dad gave me my first rifle, a Remingtom single-shot, when I was 7.<BR>Started reloading in'59 or '60.<BR>Life member NRA.<BR>Member VHA.<BR>-------------------------------------------<BR><B><I>Critr</I></B><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Critr Gitr (edited November 21, 2000).]
Hi, my name is Brian. The username is a reference to something else. I am 20 years old and a student at Western Michigan University and live in Kalamazoo. I might be young, but I have been hunting and shooting my whole life. I dont remember when I started shooting, but i got my first bow when i was 6 years old for christmas. I also reload and am very active in the outdoors whether it be backpacking, camping, fishing, or just about anything. I am a member of the NRA and as soon as i have the money i am going to join the MUCC. I vote and I want to be able to share all that hunting and shooting has brought me with my children and grandchildern. Along with school, I work at the Gander Mountian store there in Kalamazoo. I work in the Archery and the Guns/Hunting departments. I also post on shooters.com and huntamerica.com under the same user name. Nice to meet all of you.
Well my name is Allen and I live in Alaska. Have lived here for 26 years. Was born and raised in Muskegon Michigan. Enjoy hunting and fishing very much. I am on most of the boards related to hunting at one time or another. Always do the live chat at <A HREF="http://www.michigan-sportsmen.com" TARGET=_blank>www.michigan-sportsmen.com</A> and <A HREF="http://www.shooterstalk.com" TARGET=_blank>www.shooterstalk.com</A> Hey rembo, what you been uo to. See you all at the live chat hopefully.
Posted By: rembo Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 11/30/00
Hey Allen, good to see ya over here. I haven't been up to much really.Hunting is over for me this year.Just picked up deer sausage tonite. Good stuff! Thinking about a job change soon,playing with rifles and trying to do some work on my house.Juggling time between all this and my two sons,12 and 14 who live with me, and then the girlfriend.............well,what can a guy do?
Posted By: Thack Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 11/30/00
I am realativley new to this forum spent quite a bit of time on the HuntAmerica forum I currently hunt mostly Mule deer and Ducks. I was born and raised here in UTAH! I am currently attending UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY I will graduate in May with a Bach of science in Rangeland Stewardship. I shoot a ruger M77 in a 25-06 , several .22s, a remington 11-87 for duck and my prize is my .54 cal Kentucky style Muzzle loader has a 30" inch green mountain barrel and a peep sight not as accurate as my 25-06 but I still shoot 5" or less groups at 100yds. I hunt Mule deer, ducks some upland Game and an occasional Elk(time permitting). BIlly goat and Allen been to both of your home towns lived in Muskegon for a couple of months during febuary never seen the sun due to lake affect but liked Michigan.<P>Thack
Waders here. I recognize a few "faces" from the shooters board. I live in Southwest Washington and hunt true Columbian Blacktails, the ghosts of the Pacific Northwest. I also chase elk around some, but am pretty haphazard about that. When I am not hunting, I practice law in Centralia, WA. <P>I shoot mainly a .30-06 that wears a Leupold 2x7. I also love my Marlin .30-30 lever gun with iron sights. I have a photo of my great grandpa hold that gun in about 1910. I rarely even shoot my .270 Winchester Model 70. Maybe I should, I just don't. I used to be a pheasant hunter back when my dad went hunting, and have a 2 12gauge shotguns--a Remington and a Browning. I still have my very first gun, a Stevens double barrel 20 gauge. And of course I have a couple .22's and a .20 Sheridan Air Rifle.<P>I don't reload, rarely hunt on Sunday (unless I work it out with the Lord in advance) and would love to learn to Turkey hunt. I am an amateur auctioneer and volunteer my services for many charities.<BR>My lawfirm webpage is <A HREF="http://www.centralialaw.com" TARGET=_blank>www.centralialaw.com</A> and I have a couple family pics at <A HREF="http://www.localaccess.com/samuelson" TARGET=_blank>www.localaccess.com/samuelson</A> <P>And that's it. I am at the Shooters board nearly everyday, but it fritz's out so much I thought I'd check in here too occasionally. Regards.
Oops, got my own web site wrong. It's www2.localaccess.com/samuelson/<P>Sorry for any confusion!<P>
Welcome, Waders. I, too, was at the shooters talk board when I discovered this one. Now I am here daily (usually more [Linked Image] )and only very occasionally check in at the others. [Linked Image] Visit here often. I like the photos here, as well as (don't tell him this) I feel Rick is doing a good job with the board, something I can't say for all boards! -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>
What's going on? I'm Christopher Diaz from Dallas,Tx. I am in the Marine Corps and stationed in SC. I currently hunt whitetail deer, hogs and turkey. I enjoy hunting with rifles, bows and shotguns. We have a pretty generous season down here. Starts Aug15 til Jan1st. There is quite a bit on public land available down here which is pretty cool. I have to admit I am jealous though when I see the rest of you fellas able to hunt bear, mountain lions, caribou and elk. Someday I too shall claim glory to them as well. Til then I shall continue harvesting deer and hogs.
Hello from West central MN,<P>I've been frequenting outdoorlife forums and huntamerica forums. Just found this one a couple days ago.<P>I hunt pheasants, grouse, and deer mostly. My guns are not fancy, but solid. I figure if I can't handle it roughly, or am afraid of getting it scratched, I don't need it.<P>Currently own 4 Remington 870s 2 12ga & 2 20ga, 1 Winchester 1200 12 ga, Mossberg M44 US .22 WWII trainer(deadly accurate), 2 Marlin M60 .22s. A S&W 22A .22 semi-auto handgun(I realize that might not be PC around here), but I like it anyway. A Remington 7600 in 270.<P>And I recently put money down on a Ruger M77 MKII in 260 with a Leupold Vari X II 2-7.<P>I'm in road construction, about to go on unemployment, so I can snowmobile and ice fish for the next three months.<P>Dave<p>[This message has been edited by dawhip (edited December 18, 2000).]
Name is Jim. Just moved to alaska a week ago. Grew up hunting in western PA for whitetails. Lived in Western KY for the last 4 years, did a little hunting there too. I'm a big believer in the 30-06 although most of the guys I know hunt 7mm in one shape or another. Don't know much about big game hunting, that's why I hang in these forums, and gun shops, and started having an occassional talk with the old guy running the gun sales at Fred Meyer's in Fairbanks. Just bought a M70 in 338 for anything I encounter here in the alaskan wilderness. Please excuse any ignorant questions, but better to learn here in my nice warm house than along some trail staring eye to eye with something that's furry, hungry, and deeply offended I didn't call before visiting. Got a lot to learn, always appreciative of any good info.
Just realized that nobody has posted to this since november. Oh well, learn as you go.
Jim-no problem. This thread might get hot again with the new influx of people. A lot of us Shooters Refugees arriving today! I think most will end up posting under the general BIG GAME section. Regards!
My name is Jay. I live in Eau Claire, WI. I have been hunting (birds, waterfowl, small game, deer and predators) for 24 years in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Recently have been on trips to North Dakota and Wyoming. Been reloading since 1979. I have gone through many firearms, buy, sell and trade, but currently my favorites are a Marlin 1895T 45-70, Weatherby Mark V Lightweight Synthetic rechambered to .280 Rem Ackley Improved 40 deg. and a Ruger Super Blackhawk 10 1/2" barrel. I have shot competitive stock pistol silhouette. I am currently considering a move to Homer, Alaska, a lifelong dream. I feel I had better do it now while I still have a few good years physically to enjoy it.
Ray: Where you at exactly dude?<P>I live on a little private fishing lake in Irving TX off I-30 between Loop-12 and Beltline.<P>Give me a bump on the email or phone if you like. (grin)<P>[email protected]<BR>972 790-6476<P>Our "normal" board is crapped out so you guys have now been invafed by the shooters.com boys. Life here will never be the same!! (grin)<P>Cheers <P>Tex<BR>
Welcome, fellows. I left shooters last fall, and been here since then. It has been a bit slow, with time to put my feet up to the campfire. [Linked Image] Glad to see so many of you guys have found us. I am convinced that this board has a great potential, so what we need now is for you to get your friends to visit. Rick responds whenever we need him, and that in itself is something! I bounce around, but will show up most often in the varmint hunting section. <P>While you are here, visit the magazine section and check out the article by Nicholas Robert Zockoll. He is my namesake and one of my "trophies", awarded to me by another trophy, my daughter Jill.<P>WELCOME, ALL!!!<BR><P>------------------<BR>----------------------------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>
Posted By: red Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 01/26/01
My name is Bill. I live about 50 miles outside Atlanta. I enjoy target shooting with high power rifle and I like to handload.<P>New2alaska, What part of western Pa are you from? I worked up there about 25 years ago close to Enon Valley and East Palestine Ohio.<P>red<p>[This message has been edited by red (edited January 26, 2001).]
Bill, the name's Jim. I was born, and most of my family lives in New Castle, about an hour north of Pittsburgh. I haven't lived in New Castle since I was in fourth grade. I go up there to visit family, during hunting season of course.
Posted By: red Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 01/27/01
New2alaska,I know right where your talking about. My wife was raised in Ellwood City.<BR>I lived in Chippewa while I was up there working and I used to hunt ringnecks and grouse around Zelienople and Butler. My wifes family still owns a hunting camp out around Cooks Forest.<P>I was in Newcastle a few times and we used to go to this place that sold buffalo steaks and hamburgers.Good stuff!!!!!<P>Great place to live.<P>That's where I fell in love with blackpowder and flintlocks too!!!!!<P>red
Hi there. My Inupiaq Eskimo name is Suluuq, which means to clean the snow your shoes. I was born and raised, and am now raising my own famaily, in Qiqiqtaugurq, better know as Kotzebue, Alaska. I carve ivory natice crafts for a living. Mostly mini-figurines and jewelry. I enjoy hunting, camping, hiking, but have yet to like fishing... just not my thing. I'm a new poster here, thanks to Waders. I think I'll stay a while, if no one minds any. ~~~Suluuq
I discovered this board about the same time I found shooter.com. We are now abandoning it like rats on a sinking ship!<P>I have hunted, reloaded, and been involved in shooting since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I have several calibers of rifles and pistols and reload for all of them plus a few for my dad. I just got into casting bullets and am trying my hand at writing articles I think somebody may find interesting. (I may post one to do a market survey, or a torture test whichever...) (can't figure out how to put those smile faces in the message yet...) If it moves I would like to hunt it...just kidding! I mostly hunt squirrels, deer, ducks, geese, dove, quail, rabbit, prarie dogs (not really hunt...) ground hogs, crows, mice, ants...ohh wait ....not ants...ummm and other critters.<P>I live in Winston-Salem, NC (near Greensboro)and am currently looking for a different job. Well, enough about me, I'm probably boring you... see you around.
Hello all, Born and raised in Washington St. Joined the military did that for about 10 years my last assignment brought me to Alaska and thats where I stayed. Been here 6 years and love it. I am new to the hunting boards. I shoot a Win M-70 SS, in 300 Win Mag, with the B.O.S.S. Got a selection of pistols 44, 357, 22. Just got my first TC Encore in 308 topped with a Leupold 4x (just put the scope on today) I grew up on shotguns did a lot of duck hunting as a kid. I haven't done much shotgunning in the past 10-12 years. Still got my old 410 single shot and a couple of 12 gauges (Ithaca featherweight pump and a browning A500). I am a reloading junky. I enjoy that as much as shooting (don't hardly have the time to shoot up all my reloads). My real passion is big game hunting. Hunted in WA and ID before coming to AK. SEE YA
Howdy!<BR>Just moseyed over from another board and tho't I'd intro myself.<BR>Guess I'm from the same part of the country as Critr Gitr - Arizona. <BR>Noticing the pictures on some of the other forums, 'pears most of you are lots younger than me. Well, that's OK by my book - maybe us oldsters can impart a pearl every now and then.<BR>Call New Mexico my home state, but grew up all over the country (Dad was an oilfield worker), mostly West and South.<BR>After Uncle Sam got thru with me, worked for a living in Colo, Nebr, Ind, Okla and here in Az.<BR>Been reloading since my first centerfire in 1961, a customized Mexican Mauser in .300 Savage. Lost count of all the various calibers and guns since then, suffice to say a whole bunch!<BR>Try to hunt as often as the durn'd draw system out here lets me, mostly for deer, elk, antelope, javelina and turkey. Quit quail huntin' when I figured the ol' legs won't stand up to the beating in the rocks and steep hills just for a little bird! Been known to slip out of state once in a while on a guided hunt when the draw didn't produce here.<BR>Hope to meet you fellers here on the board - good huntin'.<P>------------------<BR>Keep off the Ridgeline!
Posted By: E4E Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 01/27/01
Hello!<BR>Born and raised Here in Michigan.<BR>Grew up shooting NRA jr's and then gallery leagues,and chasing critters at every chance.Went in the corp's and discovered that I shot less,hunted less and got out.<BR>One thing led to another working on others firearms,and 3 years ago went full time at it,and joined forces with a buddy and well...now I'm saddled with lots of broken guns and a store to worry about,and a part time job at a nuke plant.<BR>Just when ya think the plate is full....<BR>I'm really just whining cuz I'm impatient to get back to South Africa,and must wait till next year.Anybody want to tag along?<BR>Been booking hunts for Gangenni safaris for about 8 years now,and we have 6 openings left for 2000,and 2001 is wide open for now.<BR>Cheers all!<BR>E4E<P>------------------<BR>
Posted By: BW Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 01/27/01
Hello All!<P>My name is Brian, and I'm a fellow refuge from Shooters. I've only been hunting for around 5 years now, wasted many good years before that.<P>I've been active-duty military for 17 years now, first 8 in the Army, now 9 years in the Coast Guard. Been stationed at Ft. Campbell Ky (the 101st Airborne!), Ft. Wainwright AK (Fairbanks). Then on to the Guard at Kodiak and now Sitka Alaska.<P>I'm a helicopter mechanic (Hueys, Blackhawks, Jolly Greens, Jayhawks), and fly as the guy how runs the hoist during SAR (Flight Mechanic).<P>35 years old, 3 kids (17, 14, and 3 years) one wife for 17 years, and one mutt dog.<P>------------------<BR>Brian<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/" TARGET=_blank>The 416 Taylor WebPage!</A><p>[This message has been edited by BW (edited January 27, 2001).]
Red, <BR>I know the that burger joint. From the back window, over the bison/buffalo field, and down the road aways, you can see some little league fields, I played a little ball there in my younger years. The coach took us for ice cream afterwards. We sat along the fence and watched the bison. You brought back some good memories just mentioning that place.<BR>thanks,<BR>jim
I came over from Shooters as well to see what's up. I live in Saskatchewan Canada and have hunted for about 35 years. I have been reloading for about 30 years and hunt or shoot every chance I get. I don't post a lot but I enjoy reading everyones opinion and from time to time add my .02 cents......deadeye
Well, howdy boys. I just got here for the very first time today, hearing about it from a post on 'Huntamerica' from some disgrutled posters at that forum. People from there, and 'Shooters' know me as Redneck. I'm a slef-employed gunsmith from Baldwin,WI., have been hunting, shooting and reloading for the better part of 40 years, and just can't seem to get enough of it yet. I hope to be able to continue to learn from others, and just maybe help out anybody else who may have some problem whereby my experience can pay off. Redneck
Hello,<BR>I am Brad. I thought that I would check out a new board. I am in the process of working up loads for my new 300 RUM. <BR>
Hi there;<BR>The name is Martin,also came over from Shooters.the wife and me live in Alberta in the foothills of the Rocky's.<BR>Some of the best hunting on the continent,I hunt to fill the freezer and the main interest is guns reloading and shooting.<BR>I like the bigger calibers mostly.<P>Regards Martin
hi guys i just found this place, i know some of ya from shooters.com. I live in south Missouri, I spent 22 years with the Missouri Dept. of Conservstion. I love deer hunting and black powder shooting. nice to be here...gutpile
Posted By: Beak Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 01/29/01
Hi guys/gals just coming over from HA can't stand the bull over there anymore. I live in the deep south of Alberta 12 miles from the Montana border. I really enjoy talking to people about hunting and shooting . My rifles are 65-06, 280, 7MM STW and 300 win mag as well as a few non shooters like 38-55 Alberta diamond jubilee edition winchester and a RCMP centenial edition 38-55 winchester . I also enjoy reloading and skeet shooting. I am planning a Stone sheep ,Caribou, Moose hunt this fall in northern BC and have shot most big game except a nice mulie buck which i will get this year . I like this forum a lot and already feel right at home .<P>Beak
beak: Stick around Bud. This is like the new and improved H.A.<P>The moderator is more low key. Watchs but does not over react. So far this is a great place and its about to explode with posts. The B.G. board is rocking now. We are gonna work on building rifles and optics this week.<P>Keep checking in. Its gonna keep getting better.<P>Cheers<P>tex
Posted By: jfk Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 01/29/01
Hi,<P>My name is Joe. I hunt and fish in Michigan. Shoot and reload several calibers. Found this board through Huntamerica. Still like that board, but I left shooters a LONG time ago and haven't gone back. I work for Michigan State University (GO SPARTANS!) as an agricultural agent.<P>Joe
[Linked Image] I live halfway between Lewiston, ID & Missoula, MT----------up in the mountains---I hunt year a round------we have Elk---Bear-- Cougar--Bobcat--Deer--Badgers---Possum--Coyotes--Turkeys-- Quail--in the spring we have ground squirrels---ducks---geese on the ponds along with trout, Bluegill & catfish. I only hunt on our own property.
I also head about this site from Huntamerica. Already saw some familar names.<P> You know the name. I live in Tucson. I'm winding down a teacher career.(Vocational Auto) Retirement on the horizon. Intend to hunt animals in YOUR state soon!<P> Reloading for centerfire rifles is one of my main passions. If I am not doing that I am shooting varmints, fishing, or big game hunting.<P>--Ross<P>
Greetings,<P>Just dumped Shooters.com and added this site to my favorites. My name is Mike and currently live in Marquette Michigan. My favorite rifle is my Rem. 788 in 6mm. <BR>My current firearms research projects include a new North American "Safari Rifle" and caliber, T/C Contender mid range deer caliber, and a rifle/caliber for my wife. I'll be posting questions periodically regarding these topics and will add my 2 cents when it's wanted.<P>Take care,<P>Mike
I`m another one that tired of Shooters. I am from around the Flint Mi area, and hoping to retire in a couple of years to 8 hrs of shooting a day instead of making someone else rich. I`m a fan of the 708 although lately the 260 has been heading to the woods with me more and more. Yooper, nice area, if the wife didn`t want to stay close to the kids and grandbaby you`d have another troll crawling up from under the bridge:> )
Posted By: Clint Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 01/30/01
Hi, I'm another refugee from Shooters. I'm from Michigan and hunt a little and shoot a lot. My favorite rifles are a Ruger 1V in 6mm and a Model Seven in 7-08. I've been reloading for about 4 yrs, so I still have a lot to learn. This sure is a friendly place hangout.
Posted By: Celt Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 01/30/01
Hello all, I see some familiar faces here.<BR>Anyways...I'm Celt.(Kelt)..or Jeff. I am a gunsmith specializing in precision rifles. I just left my position as head smith at Answer Products to start my own endevures. Shop should be up and running in June of this year.<BR>here is my web addy <A HREF="http://members.tripod.com/Hicksdesigns" TARGET=_blank>http://members.tripod.com/Hicksdesigns</A><P>Good to be here.<BR>..........Celt
Celt: You are a welcome addition my friend. For those that don't know "Celt" he is a master craftsman!! Answer Products did the brake and pad on my 375 H&H, and now with celt gone I will direct future buisness his way. If you want a picky gunsmith who makes sure its done right, this is the man to build your next custom rifle.<P>Cheers<P>tex
Hello All,<BR>I had just discovered the shooters forums when all the trouble with the site started. I was reading all your post to learn about rebarreling old military rifles. I have been hunting and shooting all my life and just recently developed an interest in military Mauser rifles. I have fell in love the Swedish Mausers, got myself a C&R FFL and ordered my first Swede. I have been reloading for about 15 years and I currently load for .243, .270, .222, and will be for the 6.5 X 55. I found this site from the huntamerica site. I look forward to learning from all of you.<P>------------------<BR>Never forget your dreams and work hard to make them a reality.
Hi everyone,<P>I too am over from Shooters.gone. I'm just testing this thing out to see it I can make it work.<P>I shoot & reload for 4 calibers of rifles and 3 in handguns. Shotguns are beyond me and I deeply admire anyone who can reliably hit stuff with them.<P>Mostly I am a target/varmint shooter with a little big game thrown in. <P>I'll chime in from time to time, but I can't sling the BS like some of the folks immigrating to this campfire, so I will pull up a chair and yield back the balance of my time.<P>------------------<BR>Rick
Hey guys,<P>I too have followed with my wife(toons) over from shooters.paininthebutt.com.<P>For those that don't know of me, I live in Houston, Texas. I started hunting in college and continued sparingly afterwards until a few years back. Now i have jumped in with all my might. I reload at the present time for the only big game cartridge I own, WBY 338-378 and have loaded for it over a year. <P>Now that my wife has jumped into the shooting sports and is really excited about the idea of shotgunning on clays (possibly real birds), I will start reloading shells as soon as she gets the gear...(hint, hint honey). As I also plan on getting into more handgun shooting too, I may get a progressive press in the future. But for now, I'm sticking with what I have and getting into the field as much as I can. -t.h.
Hi guys and gals. I am from northwestern PA (3 miles south of the lake,,,,, no, lake Erie silly). I see where some said when they started hunting,,,,,,, geeesh I have to think back that far? I guess I started hunting in 1963,,,, wow, long time ago. <P>I own and use 4 rifles - hopefully I have picked 4 that will kill anything I hunt. <P>Varmints: 22 CHeetah MK 1 - Stolle panda action (right bolt, left port), McMillan Hunter class stock - purple and white marble pattern, Jewel trigger set at 1lb, Kelby rings - no bases needed on the stolle panda action, Swarovski 6 to 24 X 50 Scope. My best kill on a woodchuck was in the summer of 1999 at 660 yards measured with Leica Geovids. <BR>My pet load - 44gr of 4064 pushing a 52gr berger bullet at 4280 FPS. <P>My deer carry rifle: 7mm mag, Rem 700 action, Schneider S/S barrel - 24" long, McMillan GP graphite stock, trigger set at 2 1/2lbs, Badger Ord rings and bases, Swarovski 2.5 to 10 X 42 Scope.<P>Long range deer rifle, used off a bench, out to 650 yards. 300 win mag, Rem 700 action, Schneider 5 1/2 contour S/S barrel - 27 1/2" long, muzzle brake, McMillan GP Graphite stock, trigger set at 2 1/2lbs, Badger Ord rings and bases, Schmidt & Bender 4 to 16 X 50 Police Marksman scope with mil dot reticle (34mm tube). I like 180gr ballistic tips at 3200 FPS. <P>Boomer (grin). 375 H&H Ackley Improved, Rem 700 action, Schneider 5 1/2 contour S/S barrel, muzzle brake, McMillan GP Graphite Stock, trigger set at 2 1/2lbs, Badger Ord rings and bases, Schmidt & Bender 1.5 to 6 X 42 scope. I like 270gr X-Bullets.<P>Hopefully this covers my small game and large game hunting. I own and use several O/U shotguns for upland bird hunting. <P>If there is anything better then hunting - God kept it for himself [Linked Image]<P>Nice meeting all of you, Don [Linked Image]
Posted By: WPA Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 02/02/01
Hey, y'all. I'm from Alabama and just found this board. Don't do a lot of posting but I'll sure enjoy lurking around over here and see what I can pick up. Been reloading and shooting centerfire rifles for about 25 years now and there is always something else to learn. Gutpile, holler at me if you know any of the Mo. Conservation boys that work in the Engineering Section in Jeff City. I worked with the AL Dept. of Conservation for 16 years and got to know some of them real well.
Hi,my name is Tom.I am 43 yrs old.My family on both sides are from west virginia.I was born in PA and grew up and spent most of my life in upstate NY.I spent over 20 years working as a Heavy Equipment tech,mostly rebuilding powertrains.I used to have a Manufacturing license to make machineguns etc.(10 yrs ago)I had alot of fun with that.My interest now lies with leverguns,mostly Marlins.I also enjoy hunting,camping,snowmobiling.I have my Pilots license and am also instrument rated for single engine land airplanes.I own two horses so i like to ride them also.I'm interested also in older high perf cars.(my wifes says i have too many hobbies)My gun collection is up to about 4 dozen ranging from 22lr to 444 marlin with the most powerful being my 375HH mag.A guy can never have too many right??Only been hunting out of state once.That was a few yrs ago on a trip to Wyoming where i shot a elk and a antelope with my .243 ruger 77 rifle.Did i mention that i like to reload too.I am married with two sons,23 and 21 yrs old and both moved out and living on their own.I am an NRA life member.Have a great day everyone.~~~~tom <BR><p>[This message has been edited by levergunz (edited February 02, 2001).]
Hey, <BR>My name is John. I am a 22 year old college student and have lived in Baton Rouge, LA all my life. I have been hunting and fishing since I was 6. Usually hunt deer but find the time to duck a couple times every year. My main deer gun is a Remington 700 in .270. Next year I will be using a Model 7 .260 for the short range work. Being a broke student I can't afford all of the rifles and other things that I need. After I graduate my first few purchases will be a 300 WSM and a complete reloading setup. Oh yeah I am also engaged and am getting married next January. I have been following most of you on Shooters for a while and have learned much.
If it were not for dead people and criminals, I'd be unemployed. Hello. My home is in one of the most Republican-leaning counties in Illinois. I earn a living writing for a major newspaper, covering crime and, several days a week, writing obituaries. As far as passions go, double guns always get my attention, so do Mausers and pre-'64 Winchesters. Ruger No.1s also hit the spot, especially the big bores. Handguns are limited to a Springfield 1911A1(tricked) and a Glock 27.
I just stopped in to say HI! to those I know from previous forums and I hope to form some new friendships here. I'm a 35 year deer, hog, turkey and bear hunter and sometime elk, sheep and antelope chaser. I live in Florida and primarily hunt private leases in Florida, Alabama and Georgia. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it, so I have more guns than I need (notice I said NEED, not want), multiple scopes for every gun (I can't help it, I love good optics) and two ATV's to carry everything into the woods. I hunt every way imaginable and feel the most important thing is just being in the woods. Hopefully, I may be able to contribute on this board from time to time. I look forward to learning something every day! Cheers:-)
Howdy. Another semi-refugee from that other place several have already grumbled about. Looks like a nice place to visit. Mostly hunt deer and woodchucks in PA, and fling BS about firearms, loading and hunting at the drop of a hat.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 02/05/01
Well, I thought I had previously posted to this, but I thought wrong. I'm Brian (Hudge), and found out about this sight from Huntamerica.com. I'm currently in the Air Force ,but hope to finish my degree soon, and leave. Seems I never get to hunt and shoot like I did before joining. Oh well. I'm 25, and have a 15 month old son, a of course a wife that puts up with my habit. I'm currently out of the country, but the wife gave me kitchen pass to get another rifle when I retrn shortly. <BR>Now what do i want? I've been to this sight off and on, and I'm glad to see it has finally taken off. Some great people here with some great info.<P>hudge
Posted By: Boise Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 02/05/01
Hello to all!<P>I'm in Boise, Idaho. Not a very creative individual when it comes to the 'handle'. Have been in the area for 21 years now and have a pretty good idea where the game is located. I love hunting but have reached the point where I don't shoot much big game.
Hi yall! I was born and raised in PA. I been here all my 35 years except for 4 yrs in the U.S. Army. I like to hunt deer, rabbits, and squirrel. I reload thru the summer, (7mm mag,.30-06,.308,7x57mm,.25-06,.270,12,16,20gauge) and practice w/ .22LR and .50 cal flintlock. My only other intrest are Am. Civil War history, and a weekly Bible study at our local church. I also like westerns, as you've probably seen. I've been married to the best girl in the world for 16 years, and have a son who's 15. You know him as bighunter. I work in a factory, wich means I don't have nearly all the guns I'd like. Wifey does a little shooting with me, but she won't shoot anything with a kick. She's got no intrest in hunting, but at leaste she eats what we kill. It finaly dawned on her there would be alot of suppers of cornflakes if she couldn't eat deer. I hunt for meat, so I can't be real picky about the size of the horns. I'll be seein' you around.<BR> 7mmbuster
Hi yall! I was born and raised in PA. I been here all my 35 years except for 4 yrs in the U.S. Army. I like to hunt deer, rabbits, and squirrel. I reload thru the summer, (7mm mag,.30-06,.308,7x57mm,.25-06,.270,12,16,20gauge) and practice w/ .22LR and .50 cal flintlock. My only other intrest are Am. Civil War history, and a weekly Bible study at our local church. I also like westerns, as you've probably seen. I've been married to the best girl in the world for 16 years, and have a son who's 15. You know him as bighunter. I work in a factory, wich means I don't have nearly all the guns I'd like. Wifey does a little shooting with me, but she won't shoot anything with a kick. She's got no intrest in hunting, but at leaste she eats what we kill. It finaly dawned on her there would be alot of suppers of cornflakes if she couldn't eat deer. I hunt for meat, so I can't be real picky about the size of the horns. I'll be seein' you around.<BR> 7mmbuster
I found this site from E4E.<P>My name is Terry, and I'm from Michigan too.<P>I've been reloading and shooting since 1960. Bought my first C-H Mag press then and still have it.<P>Hunted most of North America, and now have gotten addicted to Africa. Been there 12 times so far.<P>I've been the Reloading Chairman for SCI for 10 years, and the Dallas and Houston Safari Clubs for 3 years now.<P>My first wife traded me in, because I shoot, work, and hunted too much. My wife now of 8 years, goes along, and shoots more game than I do. Such a deal I have.<P>I pride myself in answering every e-mail I get from folks that take time to ask questions about reloading and hunting. There are no "dumb" questions, just persistant questions.<P>If its not "Stoney Point", it is Over All Length, or coated bullets.<P>I have very few guns, but several barrels for each one. They are dead black ugly, with Leupold scopes.<P>I enjoy my 338 mag the most, next is a 300 Win and 30-06. <P>Got no use for anything bigger than a 340 Wby.,or high see-thru bases and rings, except the 375 H&H Mag, it is gentleman in a class by itself.<P>This looks like a very interesting group over here, with several names I've seen before. Hope ya don't mind if I will just hang out here and see what happens.<p>[This message has been edited by Terry Blauwkamp (edited February 06, 2001).]
May as well jump in here... been on most of the boards.. HA, Shooters, Hunters, AllOutdoors, PosseCountry, CoyoteGods..<P>Anyway.. I mostly train bird dogs as my primary way to waste what little income I have.. but also enjoy reloading(only started a year ago) and hunting coyotes.. Also do some big game hunting here in So NM.. Deer, Elk, Oryx etc..<P>Oh.. yea.. my wife and I both hunt.. shoot 7mmRM, .243, .223, .22lr and 410, 20 and 12 ga... and one front stuffer... T/C Black Dimond<P>------------------<BR>--Steve<p>[This message has been edited by WayCool (edited February 06, 2001).]
Hi. I'm 7mmbuster's 15 year old son. I hate having to change the name and password every time I get on here, but it is easy and I'm getting used to it.<BR>I have to put up with both parents, which I do very well. I am also a freshman in Chestnut Ridge High School.<BR>I live in Bedford county, PA. I hunt where there are a lot of deer. I also enjoy squirrel and rabbit hunting. YOu can see more if you check out my profile. Of course I consider the 7x57 mine (It's in my room in a gun cabinet). I also have a 20 gauge shotgun, a .50 caliber flintlock, and a Marlin 880 .22.<BR>Good luck hunting.
Southern Ohio hillbilly, trying to make a living working on rifles. Lots of large whitetails here, most are killed by vehicles. Just about everybody I know is a hunter except for some of the women, kids and wimps. If you don't own about 20 rifles and shotguns around here you are considered an alien. Our Congressional representative is a gun-lovin' democrat. Probably ought to run him for President next time but I don't think he can pass a background check. Later, Taters.
I am a East Tenn hillbilly that has been reloading since 1963 and big game hunting since 1970 when I graduated from school. Have been lucky and be able to hunt most big game of North America except for a few of the sheep. Lately the hills get steeper and it is further across the ridges so I don't hunt as much as I once did. Also my practice keeps me tied down. I don't post much but I check in on the boards every day so I can learn something new.
Live in Illinois! Fish, hunt deer, coyotes, groundhogs. Have 44 mag Taurus and in process of getting Marlin lever 45-70. Use to shoot 243 and Sako 338 mag years ago. Would love to go on a bear hunt! Never been!
As I was reading through the all the posts I felt I had met a lot of you before at other sites . It's always nice to see friends and meet new ones . I retired to Vermont in 1993 after serving almost 30 years in the US Army as a military physician . I am a reloader , shooter , hunter , skier , and recently a computer nut . I am married to a great lady who has supported all of my idiosyncracies . Life is beautiful !!! Best regards , Ralph Ergas
Welcome Ralph! Can we call you Doc? Pull up a log and join the fire.<P>Wade
Howdy I am 45/70 Marlin from South Carolina.I post on many other boards.I enjoy shooting,reloading,hunting,farming,fishing and trapping.I mainly shoot big bore lever actions and revolvers,but occasionally shoot 45 autos,rimfires or Ruger centerfire bolt actions.
Wade , thanks for the cordial invite ; Ralph is just fine .
I'm a 45 year old salesman, grew up and still live "down east" in North Carolina, married with 3 children. I collect different kinds of rifles (US military, leverguns, pre-64's Win's). Started hunting with my Dad and uncle when I was about 6, still hunt when I'm not working, National Guarding, or doing family things. Really enjoy this site, it has quickly become my favorite. My handle comes from my SASS alias; I enjoy shooting CAS, and can thank it for re-awakening my enjoyment of leverguns. Odessa
Hi! I'm from Illinois and many years ago shot/reloaded 243 and 338 mag! After many years away, I am back! Just bought a 44 mag revolver and a Marlin 45-70! Dream is to go black bear hunting ! May start out this fall in Tenn/North carolina. Dream is for Canada /Alaska! I teach phys.ed at elem. level.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 45/70 marlin:<BR><B> Howdy I am 45/70 Marlin from South Carolina.I post on many other boards.I enjoy shooting,reloading,hunting,farming,fishing and trapping.I mainly shoot big bore lever actions and revolvers,but occasionally shoot 45 autos,rimfires or Ruger centerfire bolt actions.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I too just bought a 45-70! Havn't decided on scope yet but considering Leupold 1.5-5. Your choice? Any bear down your way? Taurus<P>
Taurus,the leupold 1.5x5 is a great scope.I occasionally use a leupold 2x7 compact on one of my 45/70 rifles.There are a few black bears down here,but the hunting is limited.
Okie Newton,two of my favorites are deer and wild hog.I reload and keep all my rifles in a Browning fireproof safe.I have a 300wby on the high side down to a 222 and of course several 22lr.<P>------------------<BR>Keep yer powder dry,and yer knife sharp.
Hello My name is Rick ,and I live in Texas just south of Dallas. I work for Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. as a State Game Warden and have for over 30 yrs.<BR> I love to Varmint Hunt, and like most other shooters ,I shoot several different calibers,223,22-250, 243,257 Rob. 25-06,270, 30-06 and reload for all of them and have reloaded for over 30 yrs. I prefer the standard and Wildcat calibers I'm not much of a Magnum fan .<BR>I enjoy reading the post that the other Hunters put on this forum and really envy some of the areas where you live because it is definitely the Big Game Country. Keep writing ..
Posted By: Cag Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 04/20/01
Hi everybody,<BR>I'm from Miami, Florida. 49 years old. Love to reload, shoot, hunt & fish. Also another refugee from Shooter's. See a lot of old faces here. I shoot 223, 30-30, 35 rem, <BR>270 win, 280 rem, 30-06, 300 win mag and load for all of them.<P>Best of luck....Cag
Hello, My name is Ed. I live in southern Indiana and work for a electric utility, I work part time as a hobby for a local gunshop. I shoot mostly large bore rifles, and have been reloading since the mid 70"s. I hunt deer in Indiana and Elk and Moose out of state mostly Wyoming,Colorado and Montana. I enjoy and learn alot from this site. Thanks
Hello,<P>My name is Charlie and I am a gunoholic. I can't help myself. If it goes bang, I like it. Except for one that some sly old posters whose initials are NO sold me, while I was under the influence of full scaled gunmania.<P>I really don't collect any guns, per se, although I do have a soft spot for nice engraved pistols, just can't afford many of them. I like to shoot whatever I own.<P>When I am not shooting, or posting on this computer about shooting, I raise Texas Longhorn cattle--want one or twenty?--and trade stocks a little. <P>I have shot almost all my life, and reloaded, mostly shotgun but some brass for about the last 20 years or so.<P>As my user name implies, I like to bird hunt, and the more birds the better. A hot corner in a dove field is about as good as it gets. I love to go to South America on humanitarian trips in order to help those poor grain farmers avoid the depredations of all those doves. Hard work, but we must sacrifice ourselves for others, sometimes.
Hey everybody,<BR>My name is Brock, im 16 and i live in Maine, i may be young but i do know a lot about hunting and fishing, since i have been in the woods with my dad since the age of 5 and fishing since the age of 4. well my favorite big game to hunt is the whitetail deer,and moose if i get a tag and my favorite small game to hunt would be either squirrels or patridge.<BR>I hunt with my Marlin lever action 35Rem. it packs a heck of a whollop in the brush. I dont reload but my father and i are going to invest in reloading equipment this summer as soon as we get a down payment on our Trophy Whitetail hunt to New Brunswick. well i had been here for awhile and i just thought i would introduce myself.. <BR>YoungHunter<P>------------------<BR> MARLIN 35Rem. THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!!
Hello everyone.I just came over.Saw the name on Huntamerica,thought I would give it a try.My name is Darryl,I am from Elberton,Ga.Its the granite capital of the world.I enjoy hunting,fishing,camping and just being outdoors.I hunt with a 7mag,270,250-3000,243,223 and a 1100.I target shoot with a 6ppc.Looks like some very inteligent people here.I think I will hang around awhile.....Ss.... <P>------------------<BR>Florida by Birth-Georgia by Choice
Hello,<P>I found this site more or less by accident from a post by Ken Howell on another board. Some of you folks will probably recognize my handle since I have used the same one on all of the various boards for a few years now.<P>I handload for rifles, handguns, and shotguns and have been handloading for about 40 years now. My current rifle cartridges are 45-70, 375 H&H, 30-06, 30-06 AI, 7mm RemMag, 280 Remington, 6.5x55 Swede, and 6mm Remington. My current handgun cartridges are 45 ACP, 44/44 magnum, and 38/357, and these are not likely to change anytime soon unless I am talked into having one of my 1911s converted to 38 Super. The shotshells I load are the 12, 20, & 28 gauge and the 410 bore. (Haven't loaded any 16 gauge in years.)<P>I have a fairly well equipped handloading setup and have an Oehler M43 PBL and M35P chronograph. From time to time, I conduct this or that experiment and will post the results that are interesting.
Hey guys, My name is Ben, I enjoy long walks in the rain, cuddling up to a movie on a saturday night, wait.......wrong forum! HAHAHAAHAHAHA, [Linked Image] but seriously, I am an avid hunter up here in Big Sky country, Montana...sophomore at MSU, Bozeman. I own a Remmy Sendero .300 Win Mag, Ruger M77 30'06, Marlin 444SS, Marlin Mod. 60 .22, Remmy 870 express 12 gauge, and a Winchester 12 gauge. Hopefully I will be adding a varminter to my collection soon, preferably a .243 or a 22/250, can't decide yet. Hope to get to know some of you.<P>--Ben<P>------------------<BR>God Bless and Shoot Straight
I guess I may as well add my name to the list. My name is Gene and I'm 64 years old. I've been hunting ever since I can remember. I'm from Lufkin in the heart of the East Texas piney woods. I enjoy hunting deer, hogs, squirrel and recently started hunting turkeys. I reload my ammo and fletch my arrows. I love photography as I'm sure you will find out. [Linked Image] I ran across this site some time ago and put it in my favorites. I'm sorry now that I didn't get back to it until yesterday.
Hello. Yet another straggler from Shooters. My name is Larry and am 42 years of age. Currently living in Mead, Colorado....about forty minutes or so north of Denver where I work as a hydraulic mechanic; pumps, motors, valves, cylinders, and pnuematics. I enjoy both hunting and shooting. Species that I hunt include geese, ducks, deer, elk, doves, grouse, squirrel, and rabbits. Tried bear last year but couldn't find one. Used to hunt hogs in Kalifornia. I reload for rifle and pistol. Favorite rifles are a Weatherby Vanguard with a Shilen barrel in 35 Whelen; Win M94 Centenial rifle in 30-30; Browning A-Bolt 22 LR; NEF Handi rifle in 45-70; and Browing Auto 5 in 12 gauge. I have others but those are my favorites. If there are any Colorado members who would like a hunting/shooting partner, send me an email. [email protected]<p>[This message has been edited by Larry in Colorado (edited May 28, 2001).]
hi,my name is Ray,I'm a millwright from B.C.To be able to hunt with my two sons in this paradise,is truly being blessed.We hunt mostly mule deer and moose.If you get a 30.06 you have no reason to get anything else,so keep buying 30.06s!
Hello, my name is Will. I live in Solano County, just east of the Bay area in California. I work as a Chemical Project manager for an environmental company mostly contracting to refineries and our anemic power industry. That is not of course where my heart lies.<BR>I am an avid shooter and hunter. I own many arms but he most frequently loaded for and shot are: .243 Win M100, .25-06 Rem Sendero, 7mm Sig SHR 970, HK USP .40, IMI Baby Eagle .40 and Ruger Blackhawk .357.<BR>When I can manage the time, I take my ATV with rifle strapped on my back and head off into the Sierras or foothills near Lake Berryessa to shoot varmints and be away from the mass populations of suburban California- Sometimes taking my two older boys on their bikes.<BR>I wish to thank all the fellow vets out their for their patiotism and execution of duty.<BR>Will<BR>HHT, 1st Tiger Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry regiment.<BR>Fort Bliss Texas/Op Desert storm<BR>1988-1992<BR>
Posted By: 1B Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 06/13/01
I just recently joined 24hcf. I really liked the old shooters.com and hung around waiting for you all to come back. Didn't happen, so I'm a late convert. <BR>I'm a retired USG intel analyst with four grandkids. I didn't get into shooting seriously, beyond reading about it, until retirement and empty nest syndrome gave me the time to pursue it in depth. My gun safe now is in overflow mode now -- 22lrs to a .35 Whelen, mainly Rugers. I'm nutty over Ruger #1s in B profile. I reload for most of my rifles. I am currently raising a bird dog puppy and he keeps me from the range now but, by fall, I'll be in the woods after deer at every oportunity. My biggest to date is a 16 pointer atypical -- it may make Safari Club Gold. My most recent project is a Rem 700 V in .308 with a Leupold mil dot tactical scope. <BR>Rocco, the pup, is gayly chewing up the paper just out of reach, so got to go. 1B
I'm Troy and "I shoot em!" then I eat em. I love wild game!! Grandad started teaching me to hunt at 6, "shoot em in the eye or we'll leave em lie" was his motto, "ain't takin' no gut shot home, spoils the meat!"
<br>Here in north Nebraska most everyone is into hunt/fish.
<br>I found this site looking for info to reload and etc, looks like I came to the right place.
<br>I've always hunted with 12 ga for bird, .22 LR or .22mag for rabbit and squirrel, and (believe it or not) a p.o.s. SKS for deer.
<br>That's because I hunt brush country where scopes and over 100 yard shots just aren't necessary. I stalk em.
<br>Some friends who guide in WY invited me to go elk and mule deer hunting next season and said I'd have to come up with a long range rig.
<br>Bought a wthrby vanguard in 7mm rem mag. custom bedded, trigger job. seller said sub-1/2 moa groups with reloads, I said "SOLD."
<br>
<br>I wanted a Lazzeroni..... but need my car.
<br>
<br>Having the ability to take a shot 250 to 300 yards and expect to make a clean kill is new to me.
<br>I generally close range head shoot everything (like I say, I stalk em) so velocity, trajectory, etc never much crossed my mind. That's why I'm here, to learn. So I probably won't pipe up very often, more of a listener.
<br>Looks like a great site!!! [Linked Image]
<br>Thanks!
<br>God bless America!
<br>Troy
<br>
<br>"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God" Thomas Jefferson.
<br>
Hello,
<br>I'm Frank Earley, from Orange County,New York (about 50 miles north of the Big City).
<br>I am retired,72, and started handloading on Sept.25,1948,for my new(to me) 22 Savage Hornet rifle. I keep pretty good records.
<br>I Post on several webites,including Shooters;I must be missing something,because I kinda like the place.
<br>I seem to like old guns,especially old Springfields. I did a lot of hunting with the 1894 Krag,and am loading up a bunch of ammo for it. Tomorrow, I take the 1884 Trapdoor to the range. I'm also a convert to the paper patch bullet. I got 2 deer with them these past 2 years in a 30/30 Winchester.
<br>Frank
<br>
<br>
Posted By: Mssgn Re: Hey lets introduce ourselves - 03/08/02
I see that Frank and Troy resurrected an old thread...I just read through ALL of it and can't believe that I didn't post anything in it so far. Gotta fix that, so here goes. I'm the OTHER NY hunter here Frank! Except the occasional word from PA the north east isn't very well represented here.
<br>
<br>I've been hunting about a dozen years but as you can tell from my multiple questions in the reloading forum, I just started reloading.
<br>
<br>Thanks for all the help so far guys!
Just hanging in the background. Have been following as much as possible. I'm from several of the boards and will probably be recognized by a few. Don't post as much as I used to, but still like to read and try to keep up.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
© 24hourcampfire