Home
Wondering if any of you've given R17 a go in your 7/08's as of yet?

Long and the short, I just picked up a 788 Carbine in 7/08 for my Grandson and others to use as well as myself I guess..grin

Only had one range trip with it so far but the results look good.

The rifles an old one that's seen honest use but not abuse. I added an old 3-9 Burris Bp in some Weavers I had around as well as a "Montana Sling" that's rapidly becomming a fav to me.

Keep in the mind the barrels fairly short 18.5" I think. I tried 3 bullets in it last night all with R17. And keep in mind that this was a sample of one group each.

*150 NBT with 46/R17=2635 fps, it shot well under an inch @ 100 yds

*160 Noz (Screw Turns) with 45/R17=2600 fps and a group just a tish over an inch

*168 Boogers with 45/R17=2534 fps and a group I'm not quite sure how to measure it's basically one hole...the good old lucky flinch at the right time thingy showed up I guess.

Mucho more load developement to come but so far the lil rig looks like it'll shoot R17 ok.

So, anyone else been burning R17 in their runty 7's?

Thx
Dober
Posted By: nitis Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 05/30/10
try a 140 the 160 is alot of bullet for that round
Yeah I'll get around to trying the 139 Horn, today I'm also giving the 175 Nozler semi a go.

What is it about the extra 20 grains of bullet weight is it that makes you say that a 160 is a lot of bullet for the round anyway.

From what experiences and on what game have you learned that to be true..?

Dober
Posted By: Brad Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 05/30/10
Mark, got your email and pic... I'm thinking that little rifle is a keeper (grin).

I used to run a 140 B-tip over 48.0 H4350 in my 7-08. Were I in possession of a 7-08 I'd start at 46.5 gr's RL17 under a 139/140 and work up to 47.0 and 47.5. I'd be willing to bet you'll be nipping the heels or a bit over 2,700.

Posted By: BobinNH Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 05/30/10
Since the little 7/08 is a modern rendition of the 7x57....and since the 7x57 established its' game killing reputation with a 175 gr bullet,I can't see how a 160 at 2600-2700 is a "bad" thing, or overtaxes the cartridge that much,(except maybe trajectory,which, I am told on here is no longer important cause there are dots and clicks).

I like the 140 myself, but see no issues with a 160.....JO'C's wife rolled everything with that bullet from a 7x57 at 2660...it's really a slightly scaled down 30/06-180 with most factory stuff,and does many of the same things.....just sayin' smile
Mark,

I haven't run it in my -08s yet, but have burned up several dozen rounds of Mausers with it and 150s and 160s - and it seems to be first-rate.

(And I like what you're seeing with the 160 weight combo. My M7 20" was not getting as much juice with 4350 and they still hammered a nice moose out yonder quite a ways...)

[Linked Image]

I punched his ticket with the first 160 Fail-Safe (which sailed through the lungs and out). The second, second from right, was poked toward his neck and was stopped by his spine. It was far enough that "overpenetration" was obviously not an issue where Jurassic-mass bone was involved.
Posted By: nitis Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 05/30/10
for one thing you dont have much room in a 788 to play with case length due to the magazine

I have seen this cartridge discussed several times and have always seen it steered clear of the 160+ bullets

Not saying it wont work but why not flatten it out a little? Couldnt hurt
Posted By: SamOlson Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 05/30/10
Originally Posted by Brad
Mark, got your email and pic... I'm thinking that little rifle is a keeper (grin).

Brad I found a pic on my phone this morning, forgot to ask Dober what made the 'one' big hole on the target. Assuming now it was three 7mm holes.....(grin)
Posted By: selmer Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 05/30/10
Originally Posted by nitis

I have seen this cartridge discussed several times and have always seen it steered clear of the 160+ bullets

Discussed? Discussions don't mean diddly. Dead animals do, and I'm pretty darned certain that if a 160 gr. shoots that well out of that rifle (and I'll give you the magazine length issue), it won't matter, whatever the bullets hit in the vitals will die. Field results, not internet consensus by a bunch of BSers (myself included) is worthless in the face of delicious venison steaks!
My guess (based on some experience) is that a 168 Berger in the ribs wouldn't do any Montana big game animal any good at all.
I did a quick run to Logan this afternoon, had a bit of a tailwind...grin so keep that in mind with the speeds. It was one of those winds that about blows your sandbags off the bench if you follow.

*150 NBT/47/R17---shot very well about .75", and the speed was 2704 fps.

*175 Noz semi/45/R17---shot just under an 1", and the speed was 2520 fps

Not bad for a short runty bastard that doesn't have enough case capacity for the heavies eh...grin

Need to redo the 168 Booger load and I picked up some 139 Horns today so need to see how they'll perk.

Dober

That 150 BT won't kill anything at that speed.. grin
U should of been at Logan tonight, I killed the crapola out of the gongs....that runty lil 7 is a shooting sob

Dober
That 150 NBT load does look like a good one. I have been shooting the little brother to that bullet, the 120 NBT, in my 7-08. With that bullet and RL15 or Ramshot Big Game, my factory SPS has never gone over an inch for 5 shots at 100 (and that in the factory SPS stock without bedding).

Need to get some 150s and maybe some RL17 and try that too.
Shot tonight, absolutely a wonderful night at range and a super sunset.

Tonight I tried one of my all time fav bullets for any 7 and that's the 139 Horn, usually I use the flat base but this time I had the BT:

*139 Horn/47 of R17, went near as I can tell .31" @ 2795 fps

*168 Booger/45/R17 went into .34" near as I can tell @ 2534 fps

I also shot 139 Horn/42/Varget, it went into 3/4" but in a verticle pattern and ran @ 2640 fps

Thinking I'm closing in on load developement done. And remember this is with a old 788 Carbine with a 18.5" barrel that's been around the world a time or three

I still want to try some of the 120 NBT's in it and then I'll call it done.

Dober
Posted By: HUNTS Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 05/31/10
Those results are great! Thanks for posting Mark.

Are the RL17 loads compressed much?
Nope, not even the load with the 168 Berger or 175 noz

Dober
One day I'll play with the bergers. Maybe. But IMO a 140 grain NAB out of anything 7mm is the cats meow. Well unless we talking elk or bear then i want HEAVY. Got a 7-08 dialed up for 120s but my fav is the 140. Flat shooting(well flat enuf) and hard hitting in the 7-08. But to each his own. Without variety and differences in opinions the fire would be one boring place. Shoot on. Not to hijack your thread Dober..but IF you ever build a 7-08AI with a LONG barrel(26" min...although thats doubtful given your liking for the lighter weight guns) let me know what those bergers do.
That would be kind of interesting, I could do a 7/08 Ack but I wouldn't go any longer than 23" and it would be .6" to .62" at the mzl.

Funny thing about the Bergers, this is the first time I've ever gotten them to shoot. I've had terrible luck with them till now and this one gun.

Dober
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Thx
Dober

Actually, no..........I've been pretty happy with RL15 (& Varget) & have seen no huge upsides to make me want to test '17.

But I'm really wondering, with all the other Big 7's that you've got, is why you are fooling with the heavier bullets in the 7-08 at all, when 120 TSX's will do everything any 140 will do, & the performance of 160's & up in the 7-08, just doesn't fit well? Especially with an 18 1/2" barrel?

MM
I haven't tried R15 in the new gun yet but will one of these days.

I tried Varget last night, and not sure if it's a "huge upside" or not but the load I used in it which appeared to be closed to top end ran 155 fps slower with the 139 than the top end R17 load did. I guess I'll take 155 fps as an up side, not sure if it's huge or not but I'd say considering the lil case that it's a fairly big if not huge up side.

I'm not a monster fan of the 120 TSX as I like two holes in elk and quite honestly I feel I'll get them more often with the heavier slugs so I don't happen to concur that they light 120 will do everthing the heaviers do. Though I imagine they'll do just fine from time to time.

So tell me how and why the peformance of the 160's and up don't fit well? What is it that you feel they won't do when it comes to killing deer/elk/lopes etc to 400 and beyond?

And what I'm wondering is why on earth you'd care if I'm "fooling with the heavier bullets"?

The way I see it the lil 7 is very much like the 7x57 and that's been used with 160's and 175's for how long...?

So what am I missing here, help me out...why is is that I shouldn't be using the heavier slugs?

I mean seriously what do you feel that will happen if you start a 160 @ say 2600 and you hit a lope/deer/elk with it @ 400 yds?

Dober

I tried Varget last night, and not sure if it's a "huge upside" or not but the load I used in it which appeared to be closed to top end ran 155 fps slower with the 139 than the top end R17 load did. I guess I'll take 155 fps as an up side, not sure if it's huge or not but I'd say considering the lil case that it's a fairly big if not huge up side.

Since I haven't tested '17 & don't know what it'll do I can only say that, yes, I agree 155 FPS is worth having.

RL15 does 3050 w/120's for me, if I want heavier bullets, then there always the 280 or any one of the 7 mags.

I'm not a monster fan of the 120 TSX as I like two holes in elk and quite honestly I feel I'll get them more often with the heavier slugs so I don't happen to concur that they light 120 will do everthing the heaviers do. Though I imagine they'll do just fine from time to time.

2 elk last year with 120's, 2 shots, 4 holes..........but I certainly agree, you'll get more instance of double holes with 160's, depending of course, on the specific bullet used; as you know, bullet weight alone doesn't guarantee penetration in & of itself.

So tell me how and why the peformance of the 160's and up don't fit well? What is it that you feel they won't do when it comes to killing deer/elk/lopes etc to 400 and beyond?

160's are great bullets, maybe the best, in 7mm............but not at 2600 FPS when you can easily get 31-3200 with the big 7's.

If 155 FPS (above comment) is meaningful to you, I would surely think that 5-600 FPS would be overwhelmingly meaningful, but then, that's just me.

It's all about trajectory & wind drift, & for a guy that doesn't use turrets, those holdovers & extrapolations with multi-point reticles don't work real well with 2600 FPS loads.........just sayin', of course.

And what I'm wondering is why on earth you'd care if I'm "fooling with the heavier bullets"?

You've always extolled the virtues of the big 7's............

The way I see it the lil 7 is very much like the 7x57 and that's been used with 160's and 175's for how long...?

Retro is fine if nostalgia is your goal; just thought you were more forward thinking..........made a mistake, I guess.

So what am I missing here, help me out...why is is that I shouldn't be using the heavier slugs?

See above comments on trajectory...........

I mean seriously what do you feel that will happen if you start a 160 @ say 2600 and you hit a lope/deer/elk with it @ 400 yds?

Dober

IF YOU HIT 'EM, they'll be history, & therein lies the problem with bullets @ 2600 @ +400 yds +.............thought that was what bigger 7's were for, but again, that's just me & you're just you.

Good Luck with your program.

MM
For a grandson, I'd be running 120s just for the recoil factor.

BT for deer, TSX for elk, VM for fun
MM-first off when I started this thread it was so we could cuss and disscuss how R17 worked in a 7/08. It wasn't started so we could find out what bullet weight you thought I should use..

Nor did I start it to find out what R15 does for you in your 7/08 with a 120. Honestly I could care less and or did I start it to find out that if you wanted to use heavier bullets what you'd use for a round..

Ok, so you shot 2 elk last year, big whoop and the fact that you used 120's I could care even less. Once again it has nothing to do with the original thread.. You mentioned that the 120's will do basically all the heavies will do and I said that they wouldn't. And I said that I want two holes in elk and it's my opinion that while the 120's will work fine that from time to time with them one won't gain two holes and that's something that I want.

Lots of people from the Fire went to the 120's in the 7/08 for their hunting. IMO a lot of it was to go along with the croud, and a lot of it was to try to get a short lil case like the 7/08 some more speed. That's fine with me, they can do as they wish.

I know that bullet weight doesn't guarantee penetration but then again I also know that neither does bullet construction. And then again there's the old argument that comes up quite often here about will a TSX or TTSX open reliably. It's been my experience that I wouldn't say that it'll do it all the time.

It's my opinion that the 160's are good bullets @ 3100 as well as at 2600 and I can easily get it done on elk/deer/lopes with a bullet at either speed. But then again, I didn't start this thread to debate the merits of how will a 160 do out of a Big 7 @ 3100 vs the 160 out of a 7/08 now did I...

And because I like the Big 7's and use them a lot then I shouldn't be using a heavy in the lil 7? Gee thanks a lot for the help I feel mucho better after receiving your coaching on this.

As far as retro goes, so I take it by your comment that if we keep open minds and try things like different bullet weights then our thinking is forward enough. Ah yeah that's a good solid thought process..

And to your comments about trajectory and hitting something at 400 yds or so with a bullet starting out @ 2600 I find it very easy to set up a rig to do so. I'm far from worried about being able to hit what I'm shooting at at long range. Being you go by Montana Man then I spect you live in Mt, why don't we set up a meet and see how all this works. You bring your 120's and I'll bring my 160's and we'll see how it all works out...

Thx for your time, I appreciate your concern for what I'm using or are not using. But in all honestly, if I really wanted advice there's a list of people on this forum that I'd seek it out from and you're not on it..

Have a super night!

Dober

Long and the short, I just picked up a 788 Carbine in 7/08 for my Grandson and others to use as well as myself I guess..grin

The rifles an old one that's seen honest use but not abuse. I added an old 3-9 Burris Bp in some Weavers I had around as well as a "Montana Sling" that's rapidly becomming a fav to me.

Keep in the mind the barrels fairly short 18.5" I think. I tried 3 bullets in it last night all with R17. And keep in mind that this was a sample of one group each.

*160 Noz (Screw Turns) with 45/R17=2600 fps and a group just a tish over an inch

*168 Boogers with 45/R17=2534 fps and a group I'm not quite sure how to measure it's basically one hole...the good old lucky flinch at the right time thingy showed up I guess.

Mucho more load developement to come but so far the lil rig looks like it'll shoot R17 ok.

Thx
Dober
................Very good shooting so far! Don`t ya just love them `lil runts!!!!!!!

*150 NBT/47/R17---shot very well about .75", and the speed was 2704 fps.

I'm thinking that's your huckleberry... grin
Squeeze-I've long had a thing for carbines, perhaps it's my Minnesota upbringing. Now I'm not crazy about the mzl blast but I do live with it. Not sure I'm quite man enough to live with a shorty short mag like you do though...but you never know the day aint over.

Never say never right..grin

Kimber, yeah the 150 NBT would work great, it shoots well but not quite as good as the 168 Booger or 139 horn does so far. I've used that bullet so much in the Mashburn and I totally love it so I may just do a bit more work with it and see if I can't get it to bug hole as well. Plus, I need to do some serious work with it @ 300,400 and 500. And if I put a scope on it with turrets I'd run it to 1K just for giggles.

Still lots of work to do with it, I mainly bought it cause I love 788's and with the stock being a skosh bit short it'll work great for my 10 year old Grandson and for the youth of several other friends.

I did some work with it @ 300 and 400 the other night and it looked to be quite promising. Sub MOA was quite easy to get.

And for giggles one of these days just for MM I'll run some 120's thru it. Most likely I'll use the 120 NBT as I trust them a bit more, both in terms of BC and in terms of them opening on game. And hey if they shoot as well as the others from close to far I really have no issues with using that lil NBT for all that moves here.

Though I am a true fan of the Horn line and the 139 Horn fb and bt have always treated me better than I deserve in big and lil 7's. Plus the darn bullet just works and it's cost effective.

I'm having fun working with R17 and the lil 7. I mainly started this thread just to see what I could learn from others running it in a 7/08 and also so others may be able to benefit from my findings. As to date I've not seen that there's much for load data/info on the combo.

So anyone who's worked with it I'm more than happy to hear what they have to say.

However, I'm not really interested in any more of a debate about which bullet I should run, and or why I should use a 120 instead of a 160 or whatever. We could save that for another thread as this thread really wasn't about that kind of gack.

But thx for all who've chimed in, even you MM....grin

Ciao, shoot straight and shoot often.

Dober

Have a super night!

Dober

Dobrenski:

Thanks, I will !

Sorry to hear that I won't be on your advisory board; not sure that I can bear it, cry, but that feeling's more than mutual.

My original post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but obviously, that escaped you.........

Let's just leave it at that & you go do your heavy bullet thing in your gun & I'll do the lighter thing in mine & never the 'twain shall meet.

MM
Sounds good to me, side note you spect that the R17 would do ok with the 120's?

I'm not married to any weight in particular on this gun. I'm just having fun working with it. A lot of things are said in regards to what people think about the heavies in it and I wanted to shoot them myself and see what I found out.

I think that in the short lil tube 2900 will be about top end. And yeah the TIC part escaped me, sorry about that it's been a long week (and it's only Monday right)

Dober
Posted By: SU35 Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 06/01/10
My biggest elk hunt disaster was using 150X's out of a 708. Best bullet was the 150 NP.

120 BT's would be my choice for deer along with the 140 Boogers.

Not sure; as I said, haven't tried it there, but I do like it in the 270 & 280.

IMO, could be a bit slow in the 7-08 especially with all but the heavier bullets & especially in a short barrel,

but,

'17 seems to be a powder with a pretty broad range of application & Alliant does list it with 130 grain bullets at just over 3000, & they list it for 145's, 160's & 175's as well.........I do think there's not enough real world data, & I think you just have to try it & see how it works in a given cartridge.

RL-15 works very well for 120-140's, but H4350 works well in 140's-160's too.

MM

Originally Posted by SU35
My biggest elk hunt disaster was using 150X's out of a 708. Best bullet was the 150 NP.

120 BT's would be my choice for deer along with the 140 Boogers.

Bob,

Not too suprising; JMHO, but I think the 150 TSX really needs more velocity than the 7-08 can provide for best performance..........

Hence, my choice of the 120 TSX, but I do really like the 120 BT too..........no flies on the 140 Partition either.

MM
I have 5 120 XBT's sitting here, think I'll stuff 50 of R17 behind them and let er buck. Thoughts..? I'm @ 47 as a top end with the 139 so I'd think that 50 would be fine.

The 120 NBT is one that I might pick up and give a run. So far the lil gun has shot well with the 139's to the 175's so it'd be interesting to see how the NBT shot as I've not always had top accuracy with some of the original X's and XBT's. But I would like to get an indication as to how fast the 120's would roll. I'm thinking that 2900 will be about it for the short lil bugger.

Thoughts guyz?

There sitting here ready to stuff.

Dober
I agree on the accuracy issue with original X, & XBT's, FWIW..........the TSX series was a big improvement & for me, is generally a very accurate bullet in the rifles I use it in, most 7mm & 30.

The 120 Nosler BT is almost always a winner, accuracy wise, & in powder charges, takes the same as the TSX & shoots to virtually the same POI at 100 yards for me in my rifle.

Just guessing, but if your at 47 gr of '17 with the 139, I think I'd only go to 49 1st on the 120's, though 50 should not be a problem..........just remember the 139 Hornady's are a fairly short bearing surface bullet.

MM
True that, I'll back off one I've not seated them yet.

Thx

Dober
Mark, QL calcs 50gr RL17 under a 120XBT at 3088 fps via 18.5" bbl. Also calcs 68K pressure.

7-08 and 30-06 have similar volume/bore ratio. So, I'll add that I've pushed 130s in the 30-06 up to pressure calcs in that range without incident via RL17.

My guess, 50gr will likely work fine, but I'd probably start a little lower and work up to it.

Thx MM and Shane, I backed it off to 49, thinking all will be good and I'll grab some 120 NBT's tmrw to try as well.

As well the 130 Speer has always intrigued me a heck of a lot. Think it'd be very close to 2900 in the short lil tube.

Dober
Posted By: GregW Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 06/01/10
Good speeds in that short tube with RL17 Dober...

I think so Greg, the pressure signs look good from what I could tell but from some QL charts I saw last night I'm not so sure if I'm not pushing things a bit...?

This gun is a fun gun and I love 788's so I couldn't pass on it. I'll also use it as a loaner a lot as I have several friends who's kids are getting into the game as well as my Grandson is and it'll be a great gun for them to begin with. I love clips for the new and young shooter.

Some time this year I'll be putting together another lil 7 for myself to work the heck out of. I have a 3-10 Leo with a M1 on top for it, I have a Ti take off handle and a youth take off barrel (20" standard contour), all I need is an action and I'll be there. Now that lil gun is really gonna shoot and will get a very thorough working out in the time to come.

Later

Dober

Dober
The 7-08 is the only gun I have that I just can't get to shoot to save me. I'm gonna start playing with it again here soon and I'll have to try the R-17 since I have tried darn near everything else...lol
Granted I haven't tried the 150gr BT yet so maybe I'll give that a try next. Like you I love the Hornady 139gr but I just can't get em to shoot good in mine
What on earth do you have that isn't working with a 139 Horn? I've found the flat base soft point to be incredibly accurate in any 7 I've run them in from big to small..

Dober

(side note I picked up some 120 NBT's today...grin)
I have a Remington CDL that doesn't shoot them well at all.......Well let me rephrase. I haven't got it to shoot well yet. I tried it with Factory loads and it shot a lil over 1" @ 100yds but when I handload them i just can't get it to group under 2". So far the 120gr has shot the best but it's something else going on cause once I started handloading for it I started to get a flier all of a sudden. I'm not experienced enough to figure it out yet but I will...lol
Like you, the 139gr has always been acurrate in the 7mm Rem mags I have owned or shot, and has worked very well on deer.
Hmm, something mechanical, bedding, scope honest etc?

Dober
Posted By: Royce Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 06/02/10
remington
Check the locking lugs for contact- It costs nothing to check and sometimes solves problems in M700s
Dober, Let us know how those 120 NBTs go (especially with RL17, which may be a little slow for that bullet, but never know). Every 7-aught-8 I have tried them in with RL15 or Ramshot Big Game, loves them.
I'm gonna give it a go just for giggles, so far 17's worked well with the 139's-175's so I'm really curious as much as anything.

I just opened the box, stubby lil buggers, have you used them on big game much?

Thx
Dober
The problem with the handloads might be as simple as bullets not being concentric with the case. This often happens when switching from factory loads (which tend to be fairly concentric) to handloads, which often are not.

The symptoms make me doubt whether the bullets are seated straightly in the handloads.
Mark

my step mom shoots a 788 carbine in 7mm/08 and its been a great one. We havent played with the R17 in it yet, but the way it shoots the 139 hornady and 140 accubombs over W760, we havent seen a need to.

it shoots both bullets over 47 grs of W760 knockingon 2800 FPS IIRC. both bullets rountinely deliver .5" groups from that stubby bastage if the shooter does his part
They are an amazing lil gun, I had one about 5 years ago and the thing shot bug holes as well. In order to measure groups the lil bugger is making me measure out to out and subtract...

Zeesh for a mere 250 bucks one sure wouldn't expect this much now would you..?

Dober
I haven't tried the 120s on game yet, just paper & steel to date. May have to fix that this fall.
Me thinks so...should be a heck of a yote load

Dober
I've killed 1 deer with 120gr BT,drilled a doe at about 75yds. Shot her in the chest facing me and bullet was resting under the hide on her left back leg at about where the hip socket is. Needless to say she was DRT. When I pulled her hide down to clean her the bullet fell out and it had mushroomed perfectly. I didn't weight it but it looked like a Nosler ad.

I have killed about 5 with the 139gr Hornady....only 1 moved and she was dead just didn't know it yet. Probably made it 20yds, all shots were directly in the shoulder broadside at ranges between 25 and 100yds.
That is awesome work by that lil bullet! I know that Steve Timm is a proponent of it big time! I've got some loaded up to try hopefully tomorrow weather permitting.

Did you find any of the Horns?

Thx
Dober
Your comment about stubby got me thinking, so just ran upstairs to compare 139 BT Hornadys & 120 NBT. Mine are visually about the same length.

I may try to stick a 120 NBT into a mule deer and/or whitetail in addition to coyote this year. Will let you know how that goes.

In fact in order to complete further testing, I may just hunt all year with a 7-08. I sure like shooting the round a lot, but for some reason have in years past have most often grabbed something else when chasing game...
At this time I'm fairly certain that this family as well as a young man (12) a family friend who I'm helping with his first fall of hunting will be using a 7/08 of some sort.

I hope to have a 700 Youth in a Ti take off by fall with my 3-10 Leo with M1 on top. Tween the 3 of us we'll have roughly 6 deer tags, 6-9 lope tags and 3-6 elk tags plus a couple bruin tags so we may get some bullet testing in...grin

And that's not forgetting our Breaks Borrego tag..

Dober
Posted By: GregW Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 06/02/10
I think so Greg, the pressure signs look good from what I could tell but from some QL charts I saw last night I'm not so sure if I'm not pushing things a bit...?

This gun is a fun gun and I love 788's so I couldn't pass on it. I'll also use it as a loaner a lot as I have several friends who's kids are getting into the game as well as my Grandson is and it'll be a great gun for them to begin with. I love clips for the new and young shooter.

Some time this year I'll be putting together another lil 7 for myself to work the heck out of. I have a 3-10 Leo with a M1 on top for it, I have a Ti take off handle and a youth take off barrel (20" standard contour), all I need is an action and I'll be there. Now that lil gun is really gonna shoot and will get a very thorough working out in the time to come.

Later

Dober

Dober

I think there is real merit to a short tubed 7mm-08. I'm running a Model 7 with a 20" tube and am able to get 3,030 with a max load of Varget with 120's.

Looking at your speeds, with 140's, I have no doubt RL17 would probably exceed this velocity in my rig.

Let us know how it turns out Dober.

Oh and I thought of you last night. I had your "at least .60" at the muzzle" in my head and went to measure the diameter of my Howa shorty in 6x45 at the muzzle. It miked 0.620" with its 21" tube. I was trying to guess the weight of it. It shoots too.
Think I'll get out to give them a go this morn, I'll check back in and report how it goes.

How much Varget are you using Greg?

Dober
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 06/02/10

Mark,

I think I read in one of your threads that you wanted to know if anybody had in experience with the Speer 130 grain Hot Cor.

One of my old friends used that bullet for years in his Ruger M77 in 280 Remington to take literally scores of deer.

He wouldn't even consider another bullet. He used a moderate load of IMR 4831 to get maybe 3000 fps.

I think it would work great on deer and goats,but since this bullet often failed to exit on deer,it might be a trifle soft for elk.

RD
45.0 grains Mark...
Posted By: Azar Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 06/02/10
Dober,

Not to derail the discussion to much but how much have you used the 139g Horn out of the bigger 7's? Is it stout enough to use on mulies out of a 7mm RM? Or would the 154 be a better choice?

Dober
I'm on your side Dober, use any damn bullet you feel like using and I reserve the right to do the same as well, damnit. grin
Originally Posted by Azar
Dober,

Not to derail the discussion to much but how much have you used the 139g Horn out of the bigger 7's? Is it stout enough to use on mulies out of a 7mm RM? Or would the 154 be a better choice?
My dad has used that bullet for years on Mulies out of his 7 Rem. Mag. with great success, the 154 gr is just more of a good thing.
Originally Posted by Azar
Dober,

Not Dober but last year I shot a mule deer as he was getting away, with a very hard quartering away shot with a 139 Horn out of a 7mm-08. Impact was probably about 2600 at 110 yards I figure. It entered at the very front edge of his back left quarter (left most of it inedible) and some of the bullet exited the right side of his neck (think it was just a fragment).

The bullet showed to have penetrating abilities but did shoot up quite a bit of meat at intermediate velocity. I can only imagine the 154 grainer being more of a better thing.
Azar-for 3 barrels now I've used the 139 Horn with IMR4350 in my 7 Mashburn Super as a fire forming load. The load runs @ 3200 and with the game I've shot with it from big to small I'd have no worries about using it in a serious manner on big game.

I have the dotz on my Mashburn set by Premier to 700 yds with the 150 NBT so I mainly use that for all that moves.

I'd load em up and shot fill a couple of arks with it and then make your decision.. wink

Dober
Just got in from the range and my test of one group with the 120 NBT with 49 of R17. I only had 4 rounds with me so I shot 3 on paper and one over paper just to get an idea.

The 3 on paper went into .42" and the one over the clock went at 2855 fps. I have brass to load now and so I'll give it a bit more go in the next couple days.

Then I shot the 120 X, I had 4 of them as well. The 3 on paper went into .58" and the one over the clock with a Hot barrel went @ 2962 fps...

Barrel was hot and time was short but I shot 3 of the 139 Horns with 47/R17 and they went into .63" and their speed was 2807. I really like this load and this bullet and so may well just use it for all. It's accurate, I can buy 100 for about 23 bucks or so and they fly well to 400 yds (haven't tested past 400 but I will)

Also for giggles I sent another (one) 175 Nozler over the screen with 45/R17 and this one went @ 2569.

Last note, I have an old 3-9 Burris with BP on this rig and I set it up to 400 yds with the 139 Horn load with ease. The bullet is one inch high at 100, then @ 200 the 1st plex is spot on (however on a 200 yd deer could easily just use the center plex), then the 2nd plex is balls on @ 300 and the 4th plex is balls on @ 400. When I get time I'll ring the last plex (actually the top of the bottom post) @ 500 just to check it. But at this time I'm comfy to 400 with no worries.

This lil gun simply amazes me, I shoot it cold/hot/120's/139's/150's/160's/168/175 and all with R17 and they all shoot anything from sub 1" to in the .2's and .'3's..

Kind of nice after all the crap I went thru in this last year with the Lilja #1 and all the trials it gave me. Then I spend a fraction on this lil gun and it shoots bug holes..!

My only question is...how on earth did they make these 788's to shoot so well and why on earth did they stop making them.

The night b4 I got it I spoke with JB about maybe turning it into a Roberts or Swifto but me thinks not...grin

Have a super day all!

Dober
Very nice Dober...

Awesome speeds with the 139's at over 2800...

My only question is...how on earth did they make these 788's to shoot so well and why on earth did they stop making them.

I have often wondered the same, especially when I play with a later M700 based rifle that shoots well until you push it - and the front-locking bolt begins to flex (in order to make full contact with both lugs). Isn't that supposed to be the theoretical (actual/real) problem with rear lockers?

(I never actually learned to shoot centerfire until I hooked up with a M788. Neither the M70 222 or M670 30-06 were ever capable of what that little old, rough-bored 788 was easily capable of regularly. Good rifles.)
Just got in from the range and my test of one group with the 120 NBT with 49 of R17. I only had 4 rounds with me so I shot 3 on paper and one over paper just to get an idea.

The 3 on paper went into .42" and the one over the clock went at 2855 fps. I have brass to load now and so I'll give it a bit more go in the next couple days.

Then I shot the 120 X, I had 4 of them as well. The 3 on paper went into .58" and the one over the clock with a Hot barrel went @ 2962 fps...

Barrel was hot and time was short but I shot 3 of the 139 Horns with 47/R17 and they went into .63" and their speed was 2807. I really like this load and this bullet and so may well just use it for all. It's accurate, I can buy 100 for about 23 bucks or so and they fly well to 400 yds (haven't tested past 400 but I will)

Very nice performance on the 139..........would you say it's max or near max?

Might be able to wring a bit more out of the 120 NBT?

How would you describe that load relative to max & to the X load?

MM
Posted By: Azar Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 06/02/10
Originally Posted by "Mark R Dobrenski"
This lil gun simply amazes me, I shoot it cold/hot/120's/139's/150's/160's/168/175 and all with R17 and they all shoot anything from sub 1" to in the .2's and .'3's..

Kind of nice after all the crap I went thru in this last year with the Lilja #1 and all the trials it gave me. Then I spend a fraction on this lil gun and it shoots bug holes..!

No kidding! That kind of performance is nice from a custom, let alone from a few hundred dollar used gun...

Did you ever sort out the issues with that Lilja #1?
For the poster who asked about the 139gr Hornady out of the big 7.....I have killed 4 deer with it and a few friends have killed alot of deer with them and not one failure. I talked them into that bullet and it's all they use.
I shot em in my 7mm rem mag for awhile then switched to 140gr BT's. I have on idea why just wanted to try something different I guess.
The 139gr Hornady is a great bullet in both the 7-08 and the big 7.
MM-tough to say on the 120 loads, I had the X's just a skosh long and could feel it. I think that both of them are about at top end. Perhaps could go to 50 but both shot so well I don't see the reason. I only had a couple X's so I'm out of them, will do more work with the 120's to see if what they did today is repeatable and I spect it is.

I'll also do a bit more shooting at the 400 yd mark to see how they all shoot in terms of accuracy out there. I really have a thing for the 139 Horns as I've used them a lot over the years and they've always treated me well so kind of spect I'll end up there. But one never knows, we could go with the 120 NBT's and hit it hard this year and try to fill up an ark.

Lastly, I'd like to try the 14o Berger in the lil gun as well. I spect it'll shot them quite well as to date the way the lil gun shoots I spect I could feed it jelly belly's and it'd still shoot bug holes. Or would that be jelly bean holes.. wink

Dober
I really have a thing for the 139 Horns as I've used them a lot over the years and they've always treated me well

Dober

I like the 139 Hornady a lot too.........use it a lot in 280's, & it's almost twin, the 140 gr., in the 270 has always been good for me, too.

They're good game bullets & dependably accurate in most guns too; just can't go wrong with them.

They don't break the bank either.

MM
Looks like you got a real shooter there.
Posted By: AJD Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 06/03/10
I have one of those rifles, 788 with the 18" or whatever barrel, only it's in 243. I keep thinking I am going to get rid of it, but the thing just shoots so darn well. It has that thick barrel, and shoots.

What I don't like is the safety. On my rifle, IMO it comes off of safe too easily and could come off unnoticed. I need to find a fix for that.
Posted By: akjeff Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 06/03/10
"My only question is...how on earth did they make these 788's to shoot so well and why on earth did they stop making them."

They are shooters Mark! Mom's .243 drives tacks, as does a carbine 7-08 just like yours. The .222 is still one of the most accurate rifles I've ever fired, and has killed a pile of PA groundhogs. Great rifles.

Reading your thread with great interest, as I'm getting started on working up a load in the wife's Kimber 84M 7-08. I'm kinda focusing on the 156gr Norma, as the go to bullet. Was going to try mono's(140 TTSX, GMX, and 150 E-Tip), but when I made up some dummy rounds, they had to be seated way too deep in order to eject a loaded round. They ejection port is tight. Haven't tried a 140 TSX. Maybe without the plastic tip, they'll fit.

Thanks for the great range reports!

Jeff
Let us know how it goes Jeff, this lil gun has been a world of pleasure since working with that dastardly jinxed Lilja #1 barrel on my lil Mauser. That one just about took me to the edge of a cliff and then friends Brad and Bob reminded me it wasn't worth the worry....

I'd encourage you to just give the 139 Horn a go.

Dober
Posted By: akjeff Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 06/03/10
Mark,

Will do. I'll definitely try the 139 Horn's. Don't think I've ever owned a 7mm bore rifle, that they didn't shoot in. It's just that we'll be taking this rifle for PG next April, and I wanted something perhaps a bit tougher, though there are no flies on this great bullet!

Hope all is well with you and yours. We've had a great summer so far, and getting some much needed rain, today.

Jeff
Jeff-when you coming this way for a lope hunt?

Dober
Posted By: akjeff Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 06/04/10
Mark,

Will likely apply for next year. Gonna go the DIY route next time. Too many house projects to roam very far from home this year. frown I can't wait to get back to MT to hunt antelope. I could get used to that real easily!(both MT and antelope!)

What primer are you lighting the RL-17 with?

Jeff
Plain Jane CCI 200 and when you draw let me know and perhaps this time I can get out with you.

Dober
Thanks for the primer info. Not sure if I have any. If not, it'll be F210's. Will likely use WLR's with Big Game and Hunter.

A get together would be great.

Jeff
I'd like to try some others but honestly can't see why..the 210M and the BR2 are my favs. JB told me to try some Big Game if I recall right and will some time this summer.

Dober
Posted By: Huntr Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 06/04/10
Dober,
That is super considering the Lilja barrel nightmare! Congrats. I am liking the 120 Noz BT out of my new 7X57 also. Need to try the 139 Hornadys in it as well. I have just loaded up a bunch of bullets from 120's to 150's for my new 7X57 with RL 17. Sure hope they shoot like yours!
I suspect you'll like Big Game. I pretty much reach for a Ramshot powder first these days, as I love the combo of ball powder, and a powder measure! Plus, they flat work. Have become partial to lighting it with WLR's in cases of say 30-06 volume and under. For larger cases, generally F215's.

Jeff

Thx
Dober

Bumpus 4 Mathman

Dober
Posted By: powdr Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 09/14/10
Dober before you quit testing try 48.0-49.0 of RL19 w/the 139gr Hornady. A powerful good load and very accurate.Secret Load! powdr
I was getting 2870fps with a 139gr Horn out of my father's 22" 7-08 using R17, but no matter what I tried, accuracy sucked with that powder out of that rifle.
I'll give it a go one of these days Powder, I have some R19. Most likely won't be till winter though.

Dober
Posted By: JPro Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 09/14/10
Based upon what you've already mentioned, it wouldn't be crazy to expect a 160AB to make 2,650 or so from a 20" 7mm-08 with RL17. There isn't much that a guy couldn't hunt with that load and it carries some steam for a good ways out there.

I still haven't ordered a barrel for my Pocket Rifle project (700,#3contour@20",McMillan,turrets), but the 7mm-08 is in the running along with the 260 and 308.
JPro-you could always find yourself a take off barrel and cut it to 21" and save a ton load of cheddar, and or a Youth barrel that's already cut to 20" and do the same..

Just a thunk

Dober
Posted By: mathman Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 09/14/10
I'm really getting to like my 20" 7mm08.

I won't have a chrono until my new Oehler gets here, but the drop at 300 yards relative to a dead on zero at 200 tells me the 120 Bal Tips are cooking pretty good out of the short barrel.

I could probably run RL15 and 120 grain bullets of differing construction for most practical purposes. But Dober has me thinking about RL17 now, and there's always IMR4007SSC.

Hello, my name is Mathman and I'm a handloadaholic. crazy
Posted By: JPro Re: R17 and the Runt 7 (7/08) - 09/14/10
I know I could go with a take-off, but I'm not scared to spend a bit of change on this one. The mode I'm in now is one of simplifying the contents of my safe and I want a well-built rig that will stack bullets near and far. Fewer rifles and more shooting is where I'm trying to go.

I have custom-barreled and McStocked rifles in 7mmRM, 25-284, and 223AI, but I want a medium-weight and handy rifle. All parts are here but a barrel.

After this one, I'm done for a while. Thankfully, the kids will need rifles too. (grin)
© 24hourcampfire