Home
Posted By: AK_ARCHER Bonded bullets - 08/11/11
Witch one of thees bullets is the toughest/has hightest weight retention - Hornady InterBond, SST, Nosler AccuBond, Swift Scirocco II? MV should be around 3,100-3,200fps.
Posted By: trailrider121 Re: Bonded bullets - 08/11/11
Nosler Accubond has my vote..
Posted By: Patrick_James Re: Bonded bullets - 08/11/11
Originally Posted by trailrider121

+1
Posted By: elkhuntinguide Re: Bonded bullets - 08/11/11
I'm a Scirocco whore myself...
Posted By: WoodsStalker Re: Bonded bullets - 08/11/11
Accubond
Posted By: noKnees Re: Bonded bullets - 08/11/11
SST isn't a Bonded bullet.

I shot a couple of 30 cal 180 IBs and AB into water jugs and I thought that the IB looked tougher. I can't say it was a detailed test more like one observation

Like more than a few folks here, I have had no problem to get AB's to shoot well but IB's haven't been as easy to get to shoot for me. (sample of one, those 30 cal 180's)
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bonded bullets - 08/11/11
Except for the SST's, whichever shoots the best in Your rifle will do fine.

Gunner
Posted By: gddir Re: Bonded bullets - 08/11/11
Originally Posted by trailrider121

Yea, I would have to go with this one!
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Bonded bullets - 08/11/11
NAB, The IB and SS are finicky as heck to find accuracy. I've tried the SSs in some rifles that shoot dang near anything great and never found acceptable accuracy(.257 100s, 150 .284, and 180 .308). I like the SS design, but they went wrong somewhere.
Posted By: temmi Re: Bonded bullets - 08/11/11
I use the Accubonds� but they are made to shed some weight.

The question is� what type or animal are you hunting and at what range?

If you want 100% retention�

You may want to try a Monolithic bullet like Barns, Horn GMX, or Nosler eTip.

You May want to post this in the �Ask The Gun Writers� Forum

Snake
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Bonded bullets - 08/11/11
As a rule, bonded core bullets spread widely and don't penetrate as much as other premiums due to this. In spite of the fact that they retain lots of weight.
The only bonded core bullet I'm aware of that penetrates similar to the Nosler Partition or close to the Barnes stuff would be the Federal Throphy Bonded. And that is the older, not the latest version. E
Posted By: GregW Re: Bonded bullets - 08/11/11
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide

You plunk any wapiti with a 130 6.5 version my friend?
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Bonded bullets - 08/11/11
I've shot quite a few deer and an elk with the Hornady Interbond.I have yet to recover one of these bullets.They shoot really tight in my rifles and penetrate much better than the Accubond,that is a good bullet too,but it is designed to shed quite a bit of it's weight.The Interbond probably would be better compared to the Scirocco than the Accubond.
Posted By: elkhuntinguide Re: Bonded bullets - 08/11/11
Originally Posted by GregW

You plunk any wapiti with a 130 6.5 version my friend?

I've killed truck loads with the 6.5 SS... They always do what they need to do...

I'm using the 75 gr in .224, 130's in 6.5 and 180's in .308...

Gonna try the 150's in a 7mm-08 that I bought from some guy on here this year... I'm sure they will work well like all the others...
Posted By: GregW Re: Bonded bullets - 08/12/11
Well two of the three you just mentioned will be used this year....

Exits and cartridge with the 130 SII?
Posted By: DaRanger Re: Bonded bullets - 08/12/11
Nosler Accubond gets my vote. Very reliable bullet. The Scirocco never did much for me.

I've killed about 10 elk over the years with the Accubond and wouldn't change a thing.

I doubt anybody has killed "Truck Loads" of wapiti. Especially with Scirocco's.
Posted By: Bowman44 Re: Bonded bullets - 08/12/11
Have had trouble getting the scirocco's to shoot, so I never shot anything with them. They do look EVIL though. My vote goes to Interbonds. T.S.
Posted By: kyreloader Re: Bonded bullets - 08/12/11
Originally Posted by AK_ARCHER
Witch one of thees bullets is the toughest/has hightest weight retention - Hornady InterBond, SST, Nosler AccuBond, Swift Scirocco II? MV should be around 3,100-3,200fps.

In testing in my .25-06, the toughest/highest retained weight as originally asked would be as follows:

SII=HIB at 85+% retained in deer, Bullet Test Tube and dry journals, NAB at around 65% retention.

The SST is not a bonded bullet and therefore showed less retained weight than the NAB.

HIB=SII>NAB>>SST is the order in my experience with the .25-06 at 3100-3400fps.
Posted By: SAUMHUNTER79 Re: Bonded bullets - 08/12/11
I've had great results with Interbonds on deer and elk, but wouldn't hesitate to use Accubonds either because of all the good reviews they get here. I've actually had trouble getting the Sciriccos to shoot decent out of my rifle.
Posted By: ClarkEMyers Re: Bonded bullets - 08/12/11
Agreed that my own choice is the Accubond; agreed also with those who point out the Accubond by design sheds weight and so disagree with any who think the Accubond is the answer to the question as asked.

Then too my preferred elk rifle is a .375 bore with the 260 grain Accubond at nothing like the speed indicated by the OP. For the indicated speeds my preferred bullet is the Barnes MRX in 308 which both benefits from and can use the speeds indicated.

To the question as asked I'd suspect the Hornady or the Scirroco. On the other hand lacking wide experience,

-I'm inclined to be a good enough is good enough type along with using enough gun and not asking a cartridge to punch above its weight (and these days cartridges can reach higher than they did when I formed my ideas and experience)

I'm inclined to suspect the question is asking for deeper penetration and a bullet that retains 100% of its as loaded weight while assuming the shape of a round ball will certainly disrupt tissue for so far as it goes but may stop sooner than a long shank as is typical forex of the monolithic bullets.

The only person I've known at all well who has killed truckloads of game did so working for the govt and used mostly military ball - placement will always work.
Posted By: logcutter Re: Bonded bullets - 08/12/11
The .375 H&H Nosler Accubond 260 grains(the two on the left) versus the old standby the 270 grain Remington Corelokt at the same velocity.

You be the judge...

[Linked Image]

Jayco
Posted By: SAUMHUNTER79 Re: Bonded bullets - 08/12/11
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers
Agreed that my own choice is the Accubond; agreed also with those who point out the Accubond by design sheds weight and so disagree with any who think the Accubond is the answer to the question as asked.

Then too my preferred elk rifle is a .375 bore with the 260 grain Accubond at nothing like the speed indicated by the OP. For the indicated speeds my preferred bullet is the Barnes MRX in 308 which both benefits from and can use the speeds indicated.

To the question as asked I'd suspect the Hornady or the Scirroco. On the other hand lacking wide experience,

-I'm inclined to be a good enough is good enough type along with using enough gun and not asking a cartridge to punch above its weight (and these days cartridges can reach higher than they did when I formed my ideas and experience)

I'm inclined to suspect the question is asking for deeper penetration and a bullet that retains 100% of its as loaded weight while assuming the shape of a round ball will certainly disrupt tissue for so far as it goes but may stop sooner than a long shank as is typical forex of the monolithic bullets.

The only person I've known at all well who has killed truckloads of game did so working for the govt and used mostly military ball - placement will always work.
laugh! Thanks for pointing that out, in my rambling about bullets I failed to answer the question, the Interbond gets my vote as toughest of the chosen three.
Posted By: elkhuntinguide Re: Bonded bullets - 08/12/11
Originally Posted by GregW
Well two of the three you just mentioned will be used this year....

Exits and cartridge with the 130 SII?

SS II's where in a 260 and a 6.5 SLR... from 210 yds out to 635ish...

All were pass throughs...
Originally Posted by DaRanger
Nosler Accubond gets my vote. Very reliable bullet. The Scirocco never did much for me.

I've killed about 10 elk over the years with the Accubond and wouldn't change a thing.

Before you engage your man pleaser, you may want to have an idea of who you direct your comments towards...

Congratulations on your 10 elk killed over the years... That's just a busy day for me to rack up that count...

I am confident by FAR that I have killed more animals in one season than you have viewed in a life time but please continue on with Tales of what you have accomplished and the talley of animals you have "Counted Coup" on...

My statement stands... By the [bleep] Truck Load...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just a pic of some of the results I've expierenced... I would think either the Accubond or the SS II's would be the ticket unless you went with a Mono boolit...

Shoot what shoots best out of your rifle... Shot placement trumps bullet and headstamp in all cases... IMHO...

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Bonded bullets - 08/13/11

Where did he go........ Kinda looks like truck loads... grin
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Bonded bullets - 08/13/11
Looks a LOT like truck loads......grin
Posted By: dingo Re: Bonded bullets - 08/13/11

I'd say weight retention would be very similiar will all the bullets you mention. I prefer Accubonds because they shoot accurately in my rifles. I've had little success getting Interbonds or Sciroccos to shoot accurately.

These are 140gn Accubonds from my 270WSM and were recovered from wild pigs. Impact velocity was approx 2850fps and retained weight was 98gns and 86gns.

As expected,higher impact velocity results in less weight retention.

[Linked Image]

This is another 140gn Accubond from a 270WSM. Impact velocity was approx 3000fps and retained weight was 73gns.

[Linked Image]

This 140gn Accubond from a Ruger .280 retained 89gns - impact velocity 2900fps

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Fotis Re: Bonded bullets - 08/13/11
Accubond

Post from JonA

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

From left to right:

308 Cal 200 AB, 3170 fps: Penetration 11". Retained weight 133.6, 67%
338 Cal 225 AB, 3100 fps: Penetration 12". Retained weight 145.2, 65%
375 Cal 260 AB, 2700 fps: Penetration 12". Retained weight 203.6, 78%
375 Cal 260 PT, 2700 fps: Penetration 10". Retained weight 219.0, 84%

It was nothing too scientific, but I thought some might enjoy seeing the results. The medium was firewood:

[Linked Image]

Over the years I've found it to give results very close to what one can expect on game (depending upon where you hit the game, of course--no medium contains all the variables a big game animal does). This wood was greener and wetter (and of course, frozen) than what I've usually used in the past and penetration was about 35% less compared with past tests with the 200 & 225 which I've tested quite a bit. I feel it was a pretty tough test at full muzzle velocity.

Of note, the 260 Partition was the only bullet that failed to exit the first log:

[Linked Image]

The 200 AccuBond exited the first but bounced off the second. Both the 225 AB and 260 AB made it 1" into the second log.

All outstanding bullets IMHO. Sorry, I haven't recovered any of these bullets from game yet. Maybe som
Posted By: DaRanger Re: Bonded bullets - 08/14/11
Well I stand corrected on the truck loads of wapiti. Seems like a waste of game animals in my opinion.

Appears you shoot a lot of bullets into water, wet phone books or ballistic gel to have acquired that amount of recovered projectiles. What medium are you using that would equal the same results as a game animal would produce?

I still believe the Accubond is a projectile without peer. Any other is a distant second. Elk is not the only animal I've killed with them.
Posted By: elkhuntinguide Re: Bonded bullets - 08/14/11
You will stand corrected once again...

On any edible animal that is harvested the meat is donated to those in need (Low Income, elderly, single parent families, etc)and nothing goes to waste...

The bullets I posted were all taken from a dead animals... I don't put my trust in fish tanks, soggy phone books or jello to let me know how a bullet will perform in an animal... Nothing IMHO will produce the results of a game animal on a bullet... Obviously you KNOW otherwise...

Any bullet when placed correctly will kill an animal... A piece of gravel launched at 2700 fps will kill as long as it is placed correctly... Shot placement trumps all...

Congrats on the many kills with an Accubond... I'm sure you numbers are astounding... I await the pictures of said animals if only to rub my nose in it...

Posted By: Prwlr Re: Bonded bullets - 08/14/11
DaRanger

You haven't been posting for long here on the fire and your already on your way to being the LONEranger. The man calls himself "elkhuntingguide" why wouldn't you believe that he witnessed truck loads of elk taken? Then you assert that those bullets didn't come from the truck loads of elk that he showed you. At the rate your sticking your feet in your mouth your going to qualify for permanent disability pretty soon.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Bonded bullets - 08/14/11
Note to self...

When EHG says truckloads he ain't bullchitten.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Bonded bullets - 08/14/11
Yep, them's truckloads.

Someone needs to show some smart and shut the hell up..
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Bonded bullets - 08/15/11

I still believe the Accubond is a projectile without peer. Any other is a distant second......

Gee.....I didn't know they are THAT good..... grin
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Bonded bullets - 08/15/11
You will stand corrected once again...

On any edible animal that is harvested the meat is donated to those in need (Low Income, elderly, single parent families, etc)and nothing goes to waste...

The bullets I posted were all taken from a dead animals... I don't put my trust in fish tanks, soggy phone books or jello to let me know how a bullet will perform in an animal... Nothing IMHO will produce the results of a game animal on a bullet... Obviously you KNOW otherwise...

Any bullet when placed correctly will kill an animal... A piece of gravel launched at 2700 fps will kill as long as it is placed correctly... Shot placement trumps all...

Congrats on the many kills with an Accubond... I'm sure you numbers are astounding... I await the pictures of said animals if only to rub my nose in it...

I still recall your count from the season on another forum and it was simply astounding, truely seveal lifetimes of experience for anyone else I have even heard of.

Any comments on getting the Swifts to shoot well? I burned up a box or two in a .270 with a variety of powder and lenghts but did not get the results I was looking for.
Posted By: elkhuntinguide Re: Bonded bullets - 08/15/11
I have been known to kill a thing or three... grin

Not sure on the .270 as I don't own one... In most of mine I'm jumpin them 10 thousandths with heavy doses of powder... I have them kissing in the 223AI but that particular rifle loves everything kissing...
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Bonded bullets - 08/16/11
Thanks, and since you said everything is eaten how did that Navajo turn out?
Posted By: elkhuntinguide Re: Bonded bullets - 08/16/11
Tough and gamey...
Posted By: DaRanger Re: Bonded bullets - 08/17/11
I understand I have not been posting or a member here for a lengthy amount of time but everyone here was new at some point. I am posting of my experience only. Accubonds have always performed amazingly for me and I will continue to harvest and fill my tags with them.

I questioned elkhuntinguide's comment on Trucks Loads because I found that hard to believe. I have seen other posts directed towards him as not being what his User Name would suggest thus the reason for my disbelief.

His recovered bullets seemed odd due to the amount of Barnes projectiles he has pictured. I have read numerous times on here and other forum's that most never recover Barnes projectiles. That's why I questioned what medium he was using to acquire the projectiles.

A poster mentioned his Numbers he had posted else where and I have never viewed those numbers so I have no idea the amount of game he has been involved with.

He chose to champion the Scirocco and I disagree that it is a better projectile than the Accubond. He only pictured one Accubond so his knowledge and use of them must be limited. He would benefit by their use.

I could be wrong.

Posted By: elkhuntinguide Re: Bonded bullets - 08/17/11
Blah, blah Blah...

I could be wrong.

:shakin' my head:

That was a given from the get go...

Continue to savor the dust from the panes...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Bonded bullets - 08/18/11
Originally Posted by Prwlr
DaRanger

You haven't been posting for long here on the fire and your already on your way to being the LONEranger. The man calls himself "elkhuntingguide" why wouldn't you believe that he witnessed truck loads of elk taken? Then you assert that those bullets didn't come from the truck loads of elk that he showed you. At the rate your sticking your feet in your mouth your going to qualify for permanent disability pretty soon.

Da Ranger: Prwlr gives good advise.... smile

Not to preach, but there is a lot of "experience" on here....

..I know guys who think the AB is the "Second Coming",yet I have emails in my file from African pro's saying very firmly...."Don't send anymore"....I know other very experienced hunters who like them,and some who won't give you two cents for them.

Not to single out AB's of course,but they are the one's mentioned.There are even experienced people on here who won't go around the corner for a Barnes or a Partition shocked and cite good reason based on their experiences....is this to be discounted? I think not.... frown

Hang around here long enough and you'll conclude pretty quickly(if you have an open mind about it)that quite a few expanding bullets work well for lots of people.....

....and, while you may have your own favorite,about the time you have made up your mind it's the "best",or vastly superior to anything else, someone will come along to show the errors of your thoughts..... frown

For example,the AB is a good bullet.....assuming the tips don't snap off and stove up your action......just a sample of "one"....but worth noting. whistle

So,whatever it is that you have done with an AB, I am willing to bet 10-1 that someone else can come on here and cite similar experience with a Barnes, a Partition, an Aframe, a Berger,a Hornady, etc. Best to keep an open mind and not discount the experiences of others.....Just my own thoughts on the matter.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Bonded bullets - 08/20/11

Neither has any superior funcionality over the other ecept the SST which, is not a bonded bullet.. Take your pick amongst the others..

My preference is the Accubond.
Well I stand corrected on the truck loads of wapiti.

That's an acceptable response.

Seems like a waste of game animals in my opinion.

This is not.

It is acceptable for others to have a differing opinion than yours. And, you are entitled to your own. I don't see any game animals being wasted. If the man were wasting game animals I doubt seriously he would be posting incriminating pictures of it.
[Linked Image] [/quote]

Since you are "just wasting game animals"....you should sell me that bag of 308 150 AB's. cool grin
Posted By: Lonny Re: Bonded bullets - 08/20/11
Seems like a waste of game animals in my opinion.

Good grief man take a look at the picture... Just a thought, but if I was planning on wasting animals the size of elk, I sure a hell wouldn't bother to gut and load'em up.
Posted By: elkhuntinguide Re: Bonded bullets - 08/20/11
Or would I bother to quarter them and prepare them for processing...

Just sayin'...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: elkhuntinguide Re: Bonded bullets - 08/20/11
Reloder28... I have a Model 7 308 Win that just loves the 150 AB's or I would give them to you...
Posted By: Tophet1 Re: Bonded bullets - 08/20/11

Interbond. I have had great accuracy success with the 6.5 129 Interbond in my .264WM at just over a chrono'd 3,100+ fps (the exact figure escapes me). It however is too tough for me as I like my projectiles to expand/explode and remain inside.

A few BS/estimated velocitys posted earlier.
Posted By: 6mm Re: Bonded bullets - 08/21/11
Accubond
Posted By: jpb Re: Bonded bullets - 08/21/11

Before you engage your man pleaser, you may want to have an idea of who you direct your comments towards...

Congratulations on your 10 elk killed over the years... That's just a busy day for me to rack up that count...

I am confident by FAR that I have killed more animals in one season than you have viewed in a life time but please continue on with Tales of what you have accomplished and the talley of animals you have "Counted Coup" on...

My statement stands... By the [bleep] Truck Load...

DaRanger, you've been owned....

[Linked Image]

John
© 24hourcampfire