Home
Posted By: whitedogone My new Reloading Bench - 01/14/13
I've been working towards reloading CF for a while now. Up to this point I've just been setup on a night stand. It's getting real crowded and I want to start loading for more cals. I've been throwing around ideas for a reloading/gun maintain/cleaning bench for a while and most of my ideas involved a lot of building/work and cash. Well today I decided to finally get something done. Here's what I came up with. It's a workbench from Harbour freight. On sale for $140. It is very sturdy after running a couple of screws in the wall behind it. I want to make some sort of quick detach system so I can move presses off on on it.

[Linked Image]

I also got a sheet of maple plywood to make shelves for storage above. The shelves are only 7" deep. That's sightly deeper than die boxes and deep enough for 2 #1 powder jugs.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/14/13
Got any pics of the setup bench?
Posted By: RRA223 Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/14/13
Im liking that bench... looks pretty well made. What kind of wood is it made of? I may have to order one if shipping is not a killer!
Posted By: whitedogone Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/14/13
China Maple...lol
It's 110#'s Shipping might be a killer. At least it isn't all particle board. The drawer sides and bottom shelf are particle board but they seem pretty sturdy. If they fail down the road I'll get out my dovetail jig and fab some replacements.
That'll work, I was afraid it might have more particle board in it. Im diggin it, looks a whole lot better than the heap Ive been loading on for the last 15years..lol! Very tempted to order one.
Here's a link. I got a coupon from a magazine for another $20 off.

http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-workbench-93454.html
That will be a nice setup when all is said and done. Thanks for the link. Let us know when it is all finished. You got me thinking about some upgrades to my setup. Maybe a post on a "show me your work area" is in order. Always learn from others ideas.
Originally Posted by stevenautique
That will be a nice setup when all is said and done. Thanks for the link. Let us know when it is all finished. You got me thinking about some upgrades to my setup. Maybe a post on a "show me your work area" is in order. Always learn from others ideas.

Where is that?
It's got to be a big improvement from where I started.

[Linked Image]
Holy crap!!! you were in need of a bench! Thats a nice gobbler on the wall there by it though.
Originally Posted by whitedogone
Originally Posted by stevenautique

Where is that?

I haven't started it yet, but like the idea of it.

I will start on up!
Posted By: slg888 Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/14/13
Copy cat... I got the same bench! I put a 3/4 top on mine for xtra support then thru on some polyurathane.

[Linked Image]
Cool, how long you had it? How's it holding up? Did you attach to wall?
Harbor Frieght 3 yrs ago $119.00. No need to attach it, once I added the tools, 3/4 top and press it's a heavy bench. Lowes has a maple top that you might consider buying(approx $30). I did not think the existing top was strong enough for the press plus I did not like the holes in the original top. I cut to fit then screwed & glued it on... Pretty simple and a lot stronger.
If you look close at pic you can see the top I added. The press is mounted on rt side, sorry for the lousy pic. PM me your email address and I'll send more pics if you'd like.
Posted By: old_willys Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/15/13
[Linked Image]
Got one similar at Costco several years ago.

Posted By: lightning Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/15/13
I have a Harbor Freight store close by and I've been looking at this same bench for myself. Before I pull the trigger I was wondering if anyone has the Kobalt stainless steel workbench with lighting, and pegboard back and three drawers for a reloading bench? It is available at Lowes and I can't make up my mind. If any of you use the kobalt, 'd be interested in your comments. It seems like a very sturdy bench.
Posted By: Border Doc Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/15/13

Nice work in converting something good and economical into strong and practical. Don't give up on the night-stand stuff, though, cause it is still very usable and portable. I have done a whole lot of case prep operations (no primers or powder) while in a motel in remote locations.

There was a good and long thread on the 'Fire about 2 or 3 years ago (somebody with good google-fu needs to help here!) that had lots of pictures and great ideas from MANY posters. Maybe you would be interested in doing that search yourself?

Anyhow, glad to see this Harbor Freight item discussed without the mention of "Chinese Elm".
Posted By: whitedogone Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/16/13
Well, It's coming together. This will be my little corner of the world. We had a 7'x8' area behind a 2nd kitchen in our basement that has been unused.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RRA223 Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/16/13
Looking good. I picked up my Harbor Freight loading bench today! Thanks for posting this.
Posted By: RDW Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/16/13
wdg, I went pre-fab too but in metal followed by homemade shelves from mdf. I have stuffed it in my closet with two 150w compact fl lights overhead and it is bright. It works well for now but I have a Lee progressive and a Square Deal to mount so I am planning the next bench.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunswizard Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/16/13
My bench is a "baker's table" with butcher block top from the unfinished furniture store. I bought a two shelf book case and high back swivel bar stool at the seme time and finished them to match. Over the bench I installed three eyeball lights which give excellent illumination. I use Planter"s peanut jars for brass storage, they're square so they don't take up much room in addition they are clear with a wide mouth. Best solution to brass storage I've found. My presses are mounted to the bench with a quick change mounting system of my design, pull two locking pins to change to whichever press or accessory I want to use and the benchtop is not woodpeckered full of holes. Seldom used presses are mounted on a microwave cart from the home center, locking casters make it easy to move into position for use and back to storage location when not used.
Posted By: lightning Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/16/13
Decided to go with the Harbor Freight bench over the Kobalt and picked it up yesterday. I googled , "Harbor Freight Coupons", and up came a 20% off one item coupon good until the end of January. They have it on sale at $159.99, so it netted out at $128, not bad. I put it together last night and was pleasantly surprised at the quality. I think I'm going to do as sig88 did and attach a 3/4" solid top to it, just to beef it up a little.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/17/13
That's just WAY too neat! Needs more clutter to be a REAL loading bench grin
I use one of those for my workbench in the garage it is sturdy and I did use it for reloading until the weather go cold around here I then I threw something together with some left over cabinets I had and just a simple plywood top for in the basement. But that will work very well for you.
Posted By: Wacenturion Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/17/13
I have the same bench....actually two of them. Best solution I could find.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Wacenturion Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/17/13
I have the same bench....actually two of them. Best solution I could find. Kids moved out...I moved in...lol.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: BlackHunter Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/19/13
tag
Posted By: whitedogone Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/21/13
Since I'm off for Marty's Birthday, I had some time to get one press mounted. It's removable and can be locked down anywhere along the bench. I used T nuts under holes I drilled in the top and threaded clamping knobs. I also plan to mount my measures,trimmer, and shotshell presses with this system. This press was mounted higher so that drawers below will work with it mounted and to get it a little higher.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MuleyFan Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/22/13
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but that doesn't look that solid..I looks like you will be getting more flex/movement than you want with the way that press is mounted... I could be wrong though just seems that way...
Posted By: dingo Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/22/13

I made from fron a second kitchen benchtop.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: whitedogone Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/22/13
Originally Posted by MuleyFan
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but that doesn't look that solid..I looks like you will be getting more flex/movement than you want with the way that press is mounted... I could be wrong though just seems that way...

That was a concern of mine as well. It's very solid.
Posted By: CLB Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/22/13
That is a very good looking bench and I like the light color. Did it come finished or do you need to apply some type of finish to it?
Posted By: whitedogone Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/22/13
Finished
Posted By: MuleyFan Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/22/13
Originally Posted by MuleyFan

That was a concern of mine as well. It's very solid.

Cool..Looks like yer getting setup quite well...
Posted By: boomtube Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/22/13
Looks pretty solid to me. Your workmanship and design of the mount looks very good. A LOT of people don't recognise the value of raising a press high enough to allow the lever to be fully depressed without having to bend over!
Posted By: whitedogone Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/23/13
Thanks, I did spent a little extra time cutting a couple dados and using the plate joiner on the top. The other mounts will be a simple flat piece of wood.
Posted By: sidepass Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/23/13
I too have that same bench. Been using it for about 4 years now.
Posted By: whitedogone Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/24/13
Originally Posted by RRA223
Looking good. I picked up my Harbor Freight loading bench today! Thanks for posting this.

Well, you know the drill....no pictures....didn't happen.
Posted By: darrylf Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/24/13
I bought this same bench and just put it together. So what are the wood dowls and metal anvils that it comes with? I know they go into the holes on the top and I wont be using them, just not sure what they would be used for?
Posted By: whitedogone Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/24/13
they work in conjunction with the vice on the end. So you can clamp long pieces for wookworking.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/29/13
Since I'm off for Marty's Birthday, I had some time to get one press mounted. It's removable and can be locked down anywhere along the bench. I used T nuts under holes I drilled in the top and threaded clamping knobs. I also plan to mount my measures,trimmer, and shotshell presses with this system. This press was mounted higher so that drawers below will work with it mounted and to get it a little higher.

[Linked Image]

Where did you find those nice threaded knobs? What diameter are the screws on them?
Posted By: whitedogone Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/30/13
They are 5/16"

Grainger #3GEP7

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Star-Knob-3GEP7
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/30/13
thanks
Posted By: whitedogone Re: My new Reloading Bench - 01/31/13
No problem
Posted By: HaYen Re: My new Reloading Bench - 02/09/13
I use three smaller benches. I'm thinking of consolidating to two. I like to keep a separate bench for the scales. What are your thoughts on this setup?
From Northern Tool
Posted By: whitedogone Re: My new Reloading Bench - 02/09/13
Originally Posted by HaYen
I use three smaller benches. I'm thinking of consolidating to two. I like to keep a separate bench for the scales. What are your thoughts on this setup?
From Northern Tool

I'm sure it would work, but it is rather crude looking. Remember, you'll have quite a bit more cash in it with lumber and all.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: My new Reloading Bench - 02/09/13
It's hard to make one for the cost of the one whitedogone bought. The drawers really add to the versatility. I got mine for under 140.00

[Linked Image]

What I used to use served me quite well, but it's nice to have room to work and use the bigger bench for other projects like building arrows.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: whitedogone Re: My new Reloading Bench - 02/11/13
If anyone with limited WW skills needs one of the elevated press mounts, I can make one for you.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: My new Reloading Bench - 02/11/13
Go to your local unfinished furniture store and check out Baker's tables. They have thick butcher block tops and substantial 4 x 4 legs. Bought mine several years ago and I am very pleased with it, couldn't have built one for the cost + it looks great.
While you're there you might want to do as I did and purchase a high back swivel bar stool. You can reload in comfort and style then, plus the Baker's table height allows you the option of working either standing or sitting.
Posted By: NathanL Re: My new Reloading Bench - 02/12/13
Grizzly.com sells maple butcherblock tops in various sizes if you just want that for a top and build your own bottom for it.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: My new Reloading Bench - 02/12/13
If you have a Grainger nearby they also stock butcherblock tops in various sizes. Save on shipping by picking up locally.
Posted By: jmak Re: My new Reloading Bench - 02/13/13
If anyone with limited WW skills needs one of the elevated press mounts, I can make one for you.

I had whitedogone make a removable elevated press mount for me and it works great with my press. I highly recommend him for anyone who either doesn't have the time or tools to make their own mount.
Posted By: whitedogone Re: My new Reloading Bench - 02/13/13
I started this thread in hopes that someone would find this low cost solution helpful. A lot of guys don't want to spent a lot of time or cash on building a bench. The harbour freight bench is very solid, has some nice features, is nice size for those getting starting in loading, and is very cost effective. Sure, you could go out and spent $350-400 on just a top and then another $100-300 on materials for the base. Then, spent a whole weekend (or two)building something. For those who'd offer such solution, maybe you could start your own thread showing the virtues of such a system. WDO
Posted By: mp4444 Re: My new Reloading Bench - 02/13/13
Hey everyone, new around here, Wdogone that looks very sharp!
After a very long time loading in cramped quarters, (kids claiming every room in sight), I decided to carve out my own corner in the world-just like many of you. Had some left-over materials, total cost about $60.

Started...
[Linked Image]

Work in progress...
[Linked Image]

Done.
[Linked Image]

When I told my wife I was going for some therapy, she almost fell down. She asked me what was wrong and I told her nothing, I'm going to load some bullets in my new "den"-I call it therapy. Good thing she only threw a pillow at me... grin
Posted By: dingo Re: My new Reloading Bench - 03/31/13
]

[/quote]
Posted By: wildone Re: My new Reloading Bench - 06/07/13
tag
Posted By: NMSSHOOTER Re: My new Reloading Bench - 06/08/13
I am fixing to start a new house and will have a reloading room. Would like to have some more pictures for ideas I can use to put together my cabinets. I am goin to build them so the sky's the limit I suppose
Posted By: wildone Re: My new Reloading Bench - 06/08/13
ar15.com has a 50 page thread of guys reloading benches. I found it on a google search some are pretty nice and some are pretty simple.
Posted By: Dnalsi Re: My new Reloading Bench - 06/08/13
Nice job!
Every man needs a corner of the world like that:)
...for therapy!
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: My new Reloading Bench - 06/08/13
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
I am fixing to start a new house and will have a reloading room. Would like to have some more pictures for ideas I can use to put together my cabinets. I am goin to build them so the sky's the limit I suppose

Moved into a new house 5 years ago put this together then, we just finished sealing the floor and painting the walls in this room, at the end of the cabinets is now 4 shelves used for range bags, tumblers, shell cases, etc. I am not lacking for room. Powder, primers, bullets, brass and tools are all stored right within easy rolling distance or just standing and opening a cabinet door.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NMSSHOOTER Re: My new Reloading Bench - 06/09/13
Y'all have some nice setup. Swiftly do you like everything being behind a door? Most setups I've seen have been open?
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: My new Reloading Bench - 06/09/13
I dont mind the doors, it keeps the room much neater when guests come over for beers and race night. Also keeps the grandkids from asking me "What's that for", or Why ya got all that stuff. laugh
We call this the oops room, as it could be in a mess due to the fact we are still working on the train town. Ohh forgot this is the other resident of the room and why I said race night and train town.

4 foot by 12 slot car track and trains

[URL=http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/swifty56/media/IMG_0209bb_zps8fc1cb42.jpg.html][Linked Image][/URL

Just plain fun
Posted By: NMSSHOOTER Re: My new Reloading Bench - 06/09/13
Yeah I hear you. I ride trains for living so I don't get into them much if not at work. It seems that's all I see anyways.
Posted By: wildone Re: My new Reloading Bench - 06/10/13
just put together the Harbor freight bench . Found a 20% off coupon on the net so I got it for $111 . For guys that are somewhat limited on space like me this really ain't a bad bench for the money. Pretty solid I'd recommend it. Now all I need is one of the fancy press risers like WDO made ( hint hint) .
Posted By: 8nbait Re: My new Reloading Bench - 06/10/13
I like those benches, great minds and all

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Not near enough clutter on most of those benches, guys. Do y'all get your wives to organize your stuff? grin laugh
Posted By: wildone Re: My new Reloading Bench - 07/01/13
Just gettin close to done this past weekend. Everything's in the cabinets and a clear work surface is open for what ever needs to be done. Gonna mount the press in similar fashion to WDO on a riser. Not bad for my boiler room
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire