Home
Posted By: Sakohunter264 Sierra Gamechanger - 05/24/19
Are any of you using these bullets? I’ve heard the accuracy is awesome, just wonder how they perform on game?
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 05/24/19
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/13199536/

The saga continued...
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/13208475/
Posted By: unahunt Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 05/24/19
I used the 90gr 6mm in my 6mm/284 with a good dose of Retumbo on Mule deer, whitetail and antelope. all broadside, complete pass through with ecellent accuracy.
Posted By: DoubleRadius Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 05/24/19
The only way I will post about poor bullet performance on the campfire is to......never do it. One reason I have seldom posted here in the last few years. There are more tolerant firearm forums around where the propensity for character assassination is not a prerequisite to join.

Posted By: Prwlr Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 05/25/19
Originally Posted by DoubleRadius
The only way I will post about poor bullet performance on the campfire is to......never do it. One reason I have seldom posted here in the last few years. There are more tolerant firearm forums around where the propensity for character assassination is not a prerequisite to join.

+1
Posted By: Bater Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 06/04/19
I plan to put a 130 through bear shoulders soon, I’ll post here again if it happens.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 06/07/19
I would also like to hear about this bullets on game performance. I loaded up some 165's for My .300 WSM Subalpine and they shoot 5 shot 1 hole groups @100yds so they are definitley some accurate bastids......Hb
Posted By: centershot Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 06/10/19
The 130gr 6.5's with 38.5gr of RL15 has accounted for a bunch of 1/2 3 shot groups from my Bergara 6.5 Creedmoor. Will likely use them on mule deer this fall - unless I draw an elk tag. If that happens I'll most probably work on a 140gr load.
Posted By: Bayou_Bob Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 06/10/19

Wow...seriously? Not doubting you at all but, while I am a "new member", I have lurked for years and never really noticed it. Some of the other sites where you find numerous basement-dwelling operator types preparing for "SHTF" and trying hard to out macho everyone make this place look like a church social. And God forbid you even attempt to defend yourself from an attack by the pets. JMHO
Posted By: 117LBS Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 06/11/19
Originally Posted by unahunt
I used the 90gr 6mm in my 6mm/284 with a good dose of Retumbo on Mule deer, whitetail and antelope. all broadside, complete pass through with ecellent accuracy.

What twist? I am wondering if 1 in 10 will do.
Posted By: unahunt Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 06/11/19
Posted By: las Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/06/23
Originally Posted by unahunt

U shot JB?

Bad boy!
Posted By: MickinColo Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/06/23

It's like Thumper the rabbit said, “if you don't have anything nice to say, don't said anything at all”. I follow that wisdom as much as I can.
Posted By: WORLDHUNTER Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/06/23
Shot a nice doe last year with 130gr 6.5 creedmoor, worked as expected.
Accuracy at 100 yds is .5" Not sure of the velocity.
Posted By: Chuck_R Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/06/23
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I would also like to hear about this bullets on game performance. I loaded up some 165's for My .300 WSM Subalpine and they shoot 5 shot 1 hole groups @100yds so they are definitley some accurate bastids......Hb

3 years ago I put a 165 "Game Changer" Tipped Game King through a 9pt mulie at about 265 yards with a 300WM. MV was slightly over 3130 FPS and it grouped sub MOA. Hit was a double lung and he jumped, ran about 30yds and piled up.

About the same effect as Nosler BTs.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/07/23
So they seem tougher than the 100 grain ProHunter or Gameking? Looking at some of the cartridges shooting them it would seem folks driving them pretty fast.
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/07/23
I have used the 175 TGK in 6.8W. So far shot 3 coyotes which blew big holes in and one very large for my area boar hog. Dropped the hog and shot through both shoulders and exited. Pretty stout bullet to do that. 180 hornandy IL and 162 IL out of 300/7mag respectively have not exited for me on similar shots. Tgk have a big hollow point but also a thick jacket along shank. Not tried in lighter weights but the heavy 270 seems pretty stout

Lou
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/07/23
I've posted this before, I shot a pronghorn a couple of years ago with one of the no-longer available .30 cal 125 gr TGK's, MV averaged 3227fps from a .308 (lotsa TAC). Antelope was about 150 yds, shot him through the ribs, got the topical death run. Examining the insides and the exit, my impression is that these are "tough" bullets; I wouldn't hesitate to use them in a magnum.

Sierra has changed these to make them better suited to the .300 Blackout, but they shoot really well in two .308's so I stocked up on blems of the originals when I was in Sedalia, probably have enough to last me the rest of my life.

If the other TGK's are constructed similarly, they are great hunting bullets.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/07/23
Originally Posted by kenjs1
So they seem tougher than the 100 grain ProHunter or Gameking? Looking at some of the cartridges shooting them it would seem folks driving them pretty fast.
Supposedly a harder core which is what keeps me from trying them for whitetails.
Posted By: TonyRumore Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/10/23
I have shot two deer and one hog with the 100gr 6mm GameChanger and it worked just fine from a 240 Weatherby.
All three shots were at or under 100 yards. All pass-through.

Tony
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/11/23
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Supposedly a harder core which is what keeps me from trying them for whitetails.

They have worked well for me with lung shots on deer. 6.5 140s at the Creedmoor’s relatively sedate speeds.

Expat
Posted By: Seafire Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/11/23
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I had one fail, because I was told its application was like a ballistic tip... but in fact it wasn't.

You push them hard in a 243. 6mm Rem or 240 Weatherby, 6/284, they will work JUST FINE...they are hard and need to be driven hard...although Elk and bear are better applications of game for the bullet, push it hard in the above cartridges and you'll be bringing home venison....
Posted By: Dre Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/11/23
I’m starting a new load development for my daughters 270. Normally I shoot SST in off season and ttsx for deer and elk. SST is Very accurate bullet for me at cheap. But I’m trying to streamline things.
The 130 TGK shoots lights out out my 6.5 so I’m hoping the 140s shoot just as well out of the 270. After talking to sea fire. I filed one down to see the cross section and compare to 150 BT. Both 27 cal. I do like the stream line and thicker copper jacket all the way through of the sierras much better
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/11/23
I have been doing a lot of testing and shooting with a pair of 243's, trying to find a good load for the upcoming deer season. I try something different each year, and was hoping to find a 90 grain load that the 20 inch barrel 243 liked. I tried Hornady 90 ELD-X's, Speer 90 hot cores, Nosler 90 BT's, and Gamechanger 90 TGK's. I tried several different powders, as well as primers. I had some old Nosler BT's loaded up with some W760, and they were the most accurate by far. I just couldn't get the other bullets to group to suit me, and had practically given up on those other bullets.

Then I got to thinking that if the Noslers worked, then why wouldn't the TGK's. So, tried them with the 760 and they were just as accurate, so much so that I'm going to use that combo in that rifle this fall. I've shoot them out to 400 yards, which is my max range at which I'll shoot a deer, and they have been absolutely great.

I'm a huge fan of Sierra bullets, just wish they were out there on the market like they used to be.
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/11/23
Dre - great pics and thanks!

Lou
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/12/23
Yeah they look stout. I was reading up and hearing they are unusually picky with loads for a Sierra. No?

I couldn't find the 85 hpbt's and for a while the 100 Prohunters. I bought some hotcores and that gun just doesn't like ANY flavor of Speers. So after many frustrating session I bought some 95g Berger Hybrids and those are the easiest things to load for. I just don't know if I trust them not to leave a volleyball sized exit as most of my shots are fairly close.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/13/23
Cant find them here at all. Sierra used to be the most stocked brand in almost every shop here but now they are non existent? What and where are they sending it all to?
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/13/23
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Cant find them here at all. Sierra used to be the most stocked brand in almost every shop here but now they are non existent? What and where are they sending it all to?

Since I've been loading I've found the market
kinda shakey. ( no real internet like today when
I started)
The bullets everybody had were Speers, so that's
what I worked up loads with. Then, the Speers
started getting scarce and the green boxes of
Sierras were in abundance. Now with the local
gun shops about gone here the ones that are
left have mostly Hornady.
One lesson I have learned is to stock up as
much as you think a lifetime supply of whatever
powder and primer and bullet you have perfected
in your loads, because you'll look up and whatever
you need for your pet load will be discontinued.
It's happened to me several times with bullets
and powders
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/13/23
You pretty well nailed that R99.
Mb
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/19/23
Originally Posted by Dre
I’m starting a new load development for my daughters 270. Normally I shoot SST in off season and ttsx for deer and elk. SST is Very accurate bullet for me at cheap. But I’m trying to streamline things.
The 130 TGK shoots lights out out my 6.5 so I’m hoping the 140s shoot just as well out of the 270. After talking to sea fire. I filed one down to see the cross section and compare to 150 BT. Both 27 cal. I do like the stream line and thicker copper jacket all the way through of the sierras much better

Thank you for the info. That is great to see the differences.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/29/23
Good info guys. I'm going to try the 140 gr Sierra Gamechangers from a 6.5 Creed for Washington mule deer in a few weeks. I'll report the results if I tag a buck.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 09/30/23
Originally Posted by Cascade
Good info guys. I'm going to try the 140 gr Sierra Gamechangers from a 6.5 Creed for Washington mule deer in a few weeks. I'll report the results if I tag a buck.

Regards, Guy
I’ve killed eight coyotes fro 250 to 520 yds all drt. The granddaughter and myself killed a buck each last. Year and hers made it 10 yards and mine was drt with zero bullets recovered.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 10/01/23

Regards, Guy

I thought you were using a Berger Guy?

If you can find some 147 ELDs and I know you have some H4350, they are worth trying.
Posted By: drop_point Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 10/01/23
I've used the Sierra Gamechanger to harvest four whitetails. I've used the 130 gr 6.5mm in a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6.5 PRC, and two 165 gr .308s in .308 Winchester. Three of the four performed admirably. The 6.5 Creedmoor kill had jacket separation and the bullet broke up without exiting. There was a very poor blood trail, but the animal did expire quickly. I much prefer an exit wound and good weight retention. I don't know if that was a failure of the one bullet or it is common to the design. It certainly isn't unique to non-bonded cup and core bullets. Either way, I wouldn't hesitate to use them for whitetail-sized game.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 10/01/23
Originally Posted by beretzs

Regards, Guy

If you can find some 147 ELDs and I know you have some H4350, they are worth trying.

I've got the 140 gr Bergers on hand, but I've never tried the Sierra Gamechanger/tipped Game King bullets before. Got curious.

We've got 143 & 147 gr Hornady ELD bullets on hand, this year I think it's going to be the Gamechanger. So many choices, only one deer tag!

Guy
Posted By: beretzs Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 10/01/23
Originally Posted by beretzs

Regards, Guy

I've got the 140 gr Bergers on hand, but I've never tried the Sierra Gamechanger/tipped Game King bullets before. Got curious.

We've got 143 & 147 gr Hornady ELD bullets on hand, this year I think it's going to be the Gamechanger. So many choices, only one deer tag!

Guy

I get it loud and clear. I have a few more tags, but not enough to satisfy all the want to tries though.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 10/29/23
I have some hard data to share on the 175 gr .270 TGK. Just killed a nice mule deer with it last Sunday in Montana.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Fired in a 1:8 twist 270 WSM. Loaded to a little more than the 6.8 Western (2850 FPS - probably leaving 75 FPS on the table, but it shoots really well in my rifle at that speed). The buck was at 400 yards even, quartering towards me, across a canyon, with a strong direct right crosswind blowing. I held 2 MOA for the wind and should have held 3. The first round was intended for the point of the near shoulder but actually hit aft center of the right ribs, got some of the right lung, penetrated the diaphragm and went through the liver. This bullet happily did not open the stomach or guts and lodged in the left ham, with 2.5 to 3 feet of penetration. The core and the jacket were lying next to each other but had separated when the round came to a stop.
The piece of core fit right into the jacket and you could see how the long chunk of core and jacket were aligned until they separated in the ham.
Retained weight of the jacket and core was 107.7 grains, 61.5% weight retention.
I heard the bullet hit and the buck trotted/walked downhill maybe 20 yards then stopped on the rimrock just short of a thick patch of junipers. He looked pretty wobbly but I'm a "shoot 'till they're down" guy, and I didn't want to lose him in the junipers, so I sent another one - this time broadside and "schooled" a little on the wind. This one fully penetrated and he dropped right there. Here's the exit wound:
Don't reckon I can complain though I would really like it if the core and jacket were bonded, if that could be done without sacrificing accuracy. I have always been a Nosler or Barnes guy so spoiled on bullet integrity.
Overall, I have a nice skull for the wall and meat for the freezer! Hope this review helps somebody.

Cheers,
Rex
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 10/29/23
Congrats on a great buck and nice shooting! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 10/29/23
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Congrats on a great buck and nice shooting! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Jeffrey. I neglected to include that my dope table shows 2295 FPS speed at impact, with the 2850 FPS start, if that helps anyone.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 10/29/23
Congrats Rex on a good buck and recovering that bullet. Glad to see I’m not the only one not digging through hide and meat to get my bullet back!
Posted By: ttpoz Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 10/29/23
Good post, TRex. Appreciate your effort.
Posted By: Halvin Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 10/29/23
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm

Since I've been loading I've found the market
kinda shakey. ( no real internet like today when
I started)
The bullets everybody had were Speers, so that's
what I worked up loads with. Then, the Speers
started getting scarce and the green boxes of
Sierras were in abundance. Now with the local
gun shops about gone here the ones that are
left have mostly Hornady.
One lesson I have learned is to stock up as
much as you think a lifetime supply of whatever
powder and primer and bullet you have perfected
in your loads, because you'll look up and whatever
you need for your pet load will be discontinued.
It's happened to me several times with bullets
and powders

THIS!
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 10/29/23
They won't kill a Spike though,seem to make ground steeper,steaks taste better when sweltered overnight and you'll likely have to call Sierra,rather than retrieving same. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 10/29/23
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Are any of you using these bullets? I’ve heard the accuracy is awesome, just wonder how they perform on game?

As to the accuracy issue - I was working up an elk hunting load for a .30-06 this year. Used the 165 NAB and 165 TGK (Gamechanger) among others and the NAB (actually, these were ProShop 2nds) shot as well as the TGK. I went with the NAB and it killed a big bull. From the other posts on this thread, it looks like the TGK doesn't hold together particularly well.
Posted By: scottf270 Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 10/29/23
I took a good mulie buck last Saturday in Montana. Easily over 300 lbs on the hoof. He died 20 yards from where he stood on impact. Heart shot at 294 yards. Bullet was a 140 grain Gamechanger out of a .270 Winchester. Complete pass through.
Posted By: Dre Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 10/29/23
Rex. Nice buck and great real world write up.
Thanks
Posted By: anothergun Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 10/29/23
Originally Posted by TRexF16
I have some hard data to share on the 175 gr .270 TGK. Just killed a nice mule deer with it last Sunday in Montana.
Fired in a 1:8 twist 270 WSM. Loaded to a little more than the 6.8 Western (2850 FPS - probably leaving 75 FPS on the table, but it shoots really well in my rifle at that speed). The buck was at 400 yards even, quartering towards me, across a canyon, with a strong direct right crosswind blowing. I held 2 MOA for the wind and should have held 3. The first round was intended for the point of the near shoulder but actually hit aft center of the right ribs, got some of the right lung, penetrated the diaphragm and went through the liver. This bullet happily did not open the stomach or guts and lodged in the left ham, with 2.5 to 3 feet of penetration. The core and the jacket were lying next to each other but had separated when the round came to a stop.
The piece of core fit right into the jacket and you could see how the long chunk of core and jacket were aligned until they separated in the ham.
Retained weight of the jacket and core was 107.7 grains, 61.5% weight retention.
I heard the bullet hit and the buck trotted/walked downhill maybe 20 yards then stopped on the rimrock just short of a thick patch of junipers. He looked pretty wobbly but I'm a "shoot 'till they're down" guy, and I didn't want to lose him in the junipers, so I sent another one - this time broadside and "schooled" a little on the wind. This one fully penetrated and he dropped right there. Here's the exit wound:
Don't reckon I can complain though I would really like it if the core and jacket were bonded, if that could be done without sacrificing accuracy. I have always been a Nosler or Barnes guy so spoiled on bullet integrity.
Overall, I have a nice skull for the wall and meat for the freezer! Hope this review helps somebody.

Cheers,
Rex

A misplaced shot, which you did your best, can’t be used for your take on a bullet failure. It would’ve done the job if placed where it needed to be. Cup and cores have been doing it on thin skinned, and heavier game too, for decades.
Posted By: drop_point Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 10/29/23
Since my last post in this thread, I killed the biggest whitetail doe I've ever killed a few weekends ago with a 130 gr Sierra Tipped Game King from a 6.5 PRC. The shot was 340 yards, give or take and at a mild angle. The bullet entered behind the shoulder and either due to angle or deflection, exited the opposite rear quarter. When skinning the deer, I found a large chunk of jacket on the shot-side ribs, but I did not weigh it. Not perfect shot placement, but the bullet did its job and killed the deer within 20 yards of the shot. For thin-skin game, I can't see a reason not to use it. Accuracy on the rifle is about 1/2 MOA. For elk, certainly go mono or bonded. I didn't think to take any pictures, but the fact that it did exit and did kill the animal with a single shot is promising.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 11/01/23
Originally Posted by anothergun

Cheers,
Rex

A misplaced shot, which you did your best, can’t be used for your take on a bullet failure. It would’ve done the job if placed where it needed to be. Cup and cores have been doing it on thin skinned, and heavier game too, for decades.

Do you hunt? Or just a target shooter?
Posted By: martentrapper Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 11/01/23
Nice looking meat, trex! Good eating!

Cheers,
Rex

I'd say it worked great as the outcome was .....the deer died and went home with the hunter.

You gots any huntin' pics with dead critters? Or just critique of how everyone else does it.
Or to say it another way....you sure talk a lot of [bleep].

ETA Nice TRexF16 Congrats.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Sierra Gamechanger - 11/02/23
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555

Cheers,
Rex

I'd say it worked great as the outcome was .....the deer died and went home with the hunter.

You gots any huntin' pics with dead critters? Or just critique of how everyone else does it.
Or to say it another way....you sure talk a lot of [bleep].

ETA Nice TRexF16 Congrats.

He's got nothing buddy. Just a blow hard trying to put out others candles.
© 24hourcampfire