Home
Posted By: Just a Hunter ? on handloading .338-06 - 12/29/19
Since my wonderful wife got me a Cooper M52 in .338-06 I have come up with a few dilemmas on loading for it.

1. Cases are not easy to find so I figure I need to make use of plentiful 30-06 cases.

2. What dies to use. I have pretty much decided on Redding, but which ones. Standard are bushing dies?

3. Can a person go straight from .30 to .338 just by using the .338-06 sizing die on the 30-06 cases or should there be a step in between?

4. Is there something I am not thinking of that would be helpful? I have never had to size cases to a different caliber before.

Thanks for you help/
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 12/29/19
Back when I built a 338-06 I used standard RCBS dies and ran 30-06 brass through in one cycle. Worked fine. Some days I wish I hadn't sold that one.
Posted By: prm Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 12/29/19
This is an option:
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/20180

But honestly, I’d recommend using 30-06 brass. I think I just used a regular RCBS FL die to resize the brass. One pass, easy.
Just run 30-06 cases thru a RCBS FL 338-06 die and then neck size after that.
Thanks Guys
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 12/30/19

Apply Imperial sizing wax with a Q-tip on the insides of the necks before the expansion.
I’ve used Redding dies for over 30 years for my M7600 and with a bit of Imperial Sizing Wax they open the ‘06 necks up easily. You will probably have to trim the necks slightly to square them up perfectly. Be careful not to set the shoulder back with the FL die.

Posted By: fremont Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 12/31/19
I've necked down 35 Whelen cases for my AI version.
Posted By: clos Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/01/20
yes to question #3 easy peasy
Posted By: colodog Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/01/20
Congratulations on a great gift, you married well!

I full length sized -06 brass with standard dies. New brass is easy, fired - 06 brass works if you anneal he neck.
Another vote for a tiny amount of Imperial sizing wax.
Posted By: taz4570 Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/04/20
A tapered expander will also help with 30-06 cases, which I've always used. I've had a few of them. Still have one. Great shooters and work well on elk.
Posted By: CRS Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/05/20
Huntington's has Norma 338-06 brass in stock. I believe Norma has discontinued it.

With that being said, it is very easy to form as stated above. I have never had any issues forming it in one pass from 30-06 brass.
lots of lube.. it is the same thing you hear all the time in prison! but yea the die will make easy work out of 30-06 cases. I like to resize with the 30-06 die first, then trim them to the same length. I bet new 3006 case would be the easiest to work with. I often use once fired so i add an extra step to try and make them as the same as i can, but it might not be necessary. M8x57
Posted By: CRS Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/07/20
I am thinking some Lapua 30-06 brass would be very nice to resize. If I ever have supply issues, that would probably be my goto.
I ordered the imperial Sizing wax and Redding dies . The guy my wife bought the gun from is selling me 100 unused Norma .338-06 cases. So once I get it all with weather cooperating I should be set to get some shooting in.
Posted By: CRS Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/07/20
I think you will really like the 338-06. I am a fan.

Do not know what your bullet choice is going to be. But I have had very good luck with Varget and 180-210gr projectiles.

Since the rifle is a Cooper, you know it is going to shoot lights out.
That's the weight bullets I want to try. How have the 180s been for you. I tried 180g NBT in my .338 Winchester, but they were not accurate in it. The only bullet it didn't like so far.
Posted By: CRS Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/08/20
I have more experience with the 200-210's. I have used 200 gr Hornady Interlock, and Nosler ballistic silvertip on deer/antelope. The Nosler seemed softer with more meat damage. I recovered the separated jacket of the Nosler in a mature SD mule deer from this past fall on the offside next to the skin. I have some 200gr Hornady SST's that shoot fantastic, but have not used them on game yet.

I have also used the 210gr NPT and TSX on deer and elk. The TSX penetrates like crazy and the partition was, simply put, a partition performance wise.

The 180 NAB shoots very good in a friends rifle and worked as expected on a mature Black Hills whitetail.
I know another gentleman and his daughter who used the old 180gr Nosler BT on two bison here in SD with no issues.
I am working with the 185 TTSX and GMX right now, but have not found a load yet.

There is a guy on the "elk killing rifle" thread in the elk forum that really likes the 160gr Barnes and has used it with much success on a variety of animals in Africa and NA. His preference is that bullet and the 210gr NPT.

H4895 is a solid powder for the round but velocities are a touch slower than Varget. It is an easy round to load for and hope you really enjoy it.
I like 35 Whelen brass because it is easy to neck down to get zero headspace for that first shot. For decades I have used the RCBS competition seater dies, easy and fast.
Posted By: metricman Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/08/20
i am curious as to why one would want to use bullets lighter than 200 gr in a 338-06.
I use the Redding std die set the re sizer has the tapered expander ball. Ditto on Imperial die sizing wax in and out. I Nothing fancy just used 1 fired WW cases, totally painless. MB
What Bob said except I use new Lapua brass. Probably a waste of $ in the grand scheme.
I like the performance of the 210 grain Swift Scirocco from mine. Beanland built it so it shoots most everything well.
Best of luck to you.
Posted By: mudhen Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/09/20
I started out years ago mostly resizing and fire-forming either W-W or Remington .30-06 brass in Redding dies. When I acquired my most recent .338-06, a very nice custom rifle that did not appear to have been shot, I had my gunsmith check it out. When I picked it up, he gave me some Weatherby .338-06 brass that he had bought, but not used. I liked not having to mess with opening up '06 cases, and I ordered 100 Norma cases, and later ordered another 100.

I shot 200-grain Accu-Bonds exclusively for several years, but loaded up some 185 TTSXs last year that shoot both fast and accurately. Didn't get a chance to poke an elk with them last year, but I hope to give them the acid test when fall rolls around again.
Posted By: CRS Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/09/20
Originally Posted by metricman
i am curious as to why one would want to use bullets lighter than 200 gr in a 338-06.

Velocity is the simple and easy answer.

That has never been my mentality. That is up until my last rifle, I just played with 160-275gr bullets, but always hunted the 200-210gr weight.
If I can get the 185 monos to shoot, that is what my son and I will use on Alaska spring black bear this year.

The friend that I loaded the 180gr NAB's for is mainly a deer hunter. So no real need for heavier bullets there. The guy/daughter that used the old 180gr NBT had zero issues with bison.

Because the 180 NAB is very accurate, as is the 160 TTSX at 3K fps.

My fav two loads are with the 210 NPT and 160 TTSX.

DF
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
That's the weight bullets I want to try. How have the 180s been for you. I tried 180g NBT in my .338 Winchester, but they were not accurate in it. The only bullet it didn't like so far.

I really liked 210 partitions with H4350 and RL17 around 2700 seemed to be the sweet spot.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

I really liked 210 partitions with H4350 and RL17 around 2700 seemed to be the sweet spot.

Ever try H-380 with that bullet?

DF
Mine as well. 160’s for whitetail size and 210’s for Africa and 250’s for big bears, etc. Gotta luv the versatility of 160’a to 250’s!

Yes, I have the win mag but it stays n the safe now!
I'm sorta new to the 338-06, having picked up this one on the Classifieds. I redid the bedding, painted it. 24" custom barrel, maker unknown, came with Timney trigger. Bore looks new thru the Hawkeye borescope and it shoots some loads sub MOA. It likes what it likes, not so much what it doesn't like. But, I've about got that figured out.

I mounted a 3-9x40 Conquest that I had sent back for elevation turret. Now, this isn't a LR target rifle, but I think it would be fun to dial up 400-500 yd targets just for the heck of it. Some of the loads are accurate enough for that. Big bullet whacking a far away target gotta be fun.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

No, but it might be worth a try. I think it's going to be a bit fast for 210gr+ .

DF

No, but it might be worth a try. I think it's going to be a bit fast for 210gr+ .

Seafire and Gunner500 put me on it. I’ve found it to be very accurate. From what I gather, it’s their powder of choice for this round. It’s slower than Varget, which is another really good performer.

61 gr H-380 with a 200 gr CT (black NBT) grouped .65” at a hundred. My sub MOA groups with 160 TTSX and 210 NPT were both with Varget. Will try H-380 with those.

My can of H-380 was just sitting there, not being used. I use Varget in other rounds. If H-380 does what I think it will do, I’ll dedicate that can to this round, save my Varget for the others.

DF
Posted By: CRS Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/09/20
Originally Posted by muygrande1
Mine as well. 160’s for whitetail size and 210’s for Africa and 250’s for big bears, etc. Gotta luv the versatility of 160’a to 250’s!

Yes, I have the win mag but it stays n the safe now!

I have tried to avoid the variable loads for different game in mine. I need to keep everything simple.

My experience with a 210gr TSX @ 2800+ fps leads me to believe that I would not be undergunned on just about anything around the world.

I can only think of a couple of animals that I would not be comfortable using this combination on. I feel that with proper bullets and shot placement, buffalo or elephant would be in serious trouble.
CRS, what’s your go to load for the 210 TSX?

If you noted it earlier, guess I missed it.

DF
Posted By: metricman Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/10/20
i understand the desire for velocity but my understanding is that you can get around 3k with a 165 gr bullet in the '06 with better bc.
i always thought the advantage of going to 338 is availability of the heavier bullets in that caliber.
Posted By: CRS Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/10/20
DF,
Varget 57.5gr in a Rem 338-06 that I no longer own, because someone else wanted it more. grin

I have not run any 210gr T/TSX loads through my latest 338-06 as I have been messing around with 185gr mono's and softer 200gr bullets in the Hornady SST and Nosler Ballistic Silvertip.

I have two more rifles coming so chambered.

First is a Model 70 Classic Supergrade that a previous owner had neglected. The bore, was in bad shape and I could not get it to shoot in the original 270 chambering. Getting a 1:9 twist with Dakota Arms open sights. Load development will start, and hopefully end with the Barnes 210gr T/TSX. Hopefully around 2800fps. If it will not shoot those, I will go up in weight. After I find a load and get the open sights filed in, that will be the load. Plenty of good heavies to pick from and I hope I do not have to go all the way to 300gr.

Second is another Model 70 Classic getting the same 1:9 twist barrel but heavier contour threaded for a suppressor. Going to try and find a subsonic load using softer heavies like an ELDM and a hunting load in the 185-210gr range. It would be really nice if it would shoot the same load as my current 338-06.
i understand the desire for velocity but my understanding is that you can get around 3k with a 165 gr bullet in the '06 with better bc.
i always thought the advantage of going to 338 is availability of the heavier bullets in that caliber.

Yes heavier bullets, but bigger diameter is also an advantage. Two 160gr bullets traveling at 3k fps, the bigger diameter hits harder IMO.

On elk I have seen them shot with 243-30 caliber and act like they are not hit. I have not seen that with 338, 35, or 375.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/10/20

DF

Seafire and Gunner500 put me on it. I’ve found it to be very accurate. From what I gather, it’s their powder of choice for this round. It’s slower than Varget, which is another really good performer.

61 gr H-380 with a 200 gr CT (black NBT) grouped .65” at a hundred. My sub MOA groups with 160 TTSX and 210 NPT were both with Varget. Will try H-380 with those.

My can of H-380 was just sitting there, not being used. I use Varget in other rounds. If H-380 does what I think it will do, I’ll dedicate that can to this round, save my Varget for the others.

DF

You can easily, and with plenty of room in the case get 2800+ fps with H-380 in a 338-06 and 210gr Partitions, I don't have my load book handy, but I'd start at 60 grains and go up with a chrono, damn stuff burns clean pressured up a bit too, and accuracy is ridiculously good.
Thanks, gunner. I’ve been amazed by the accuracy I’m seeing with H-380 in the 338-06. You and Seafire were onto something. Most writers have historically been 4320 advocates. It works OK, don’t think it’ll push’em as fast as H-380 and not more accurate, IME. Back when some of those articles were written, there wasn’t the powder selection we now have. So, 4320 may have been the best choice. It’s still good, maybe not the last word in this round.

DF
You guys are talking me into trying H380, as if I do not have enough powder on my shelf already.... crazy
Originally Posted by CRS
You guys are talking me into trying H380, as if I do not have enough powder on my shelf already.... crazy

I feel yo pain... grin

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/10/20
Originally Posted by CRS

I feel yo pain... grin

DF

LET ER RIP! Gents, life is short! cool
Originally Posted by CRS
DF,
Varget 57.5gr in a Rem 338-06 that I no longer own, because someone else wanted it more. grin

I have not run any 210gr T/TSX loads through my latest 338-06 as I have been messing around with 185gr mono's and softer 200gr bullets in the Hornady SST and Nosler Ballistic Silvertip.

I have two more rifles coming so chambered.

First is a Model 70 Classic Supergrade that a previous owner had neglected. The bore, was in bad shape and I could not get it to shoot in the original 270 chambering. Getting a 1:9 twist with Dakota Arms open sights. Load development will start, and hopefully end with the Barnes 210gr T/TSX. Hopefully around 2800fps. If it will not shoot those, I will go up in weight. After I find a load and get the open sights filed in, that will be the load. Plenty of good heavies to pick from and I hope I do not have to go all the way to 300gr.

Second is another Model 70 Classic getting the same 1:9 twist barrel but heavier contour threaded for a suppressor. Going to try and find a subsonic load using softer heavies like an ELDM and a hunting load in the 185-210gr range. It would be really nice if it would shoot the same load as my current 338-06.

I appreciate you desire for simplicity, one load for most everything.

When you finally end up with three 338-06’s, I doubt they gonna all like the same load. My experience it’s like having three different chamberings, each with it’s own quirks. So, I try to avoid that. If I’m gonna load for each chamber they may as well be different rounds. I do have some duplication, just not much and by design.

DF
I have always liked a little duplication saves a little room in the storage area. But I am slowly building up die sets. I think I am back up to 15 cartridges again. Would really like to get it down to about six. But I do not see that happening. cool

For my 270's I have:
A Model 70 classic lightweight hunting rifle. 130gr TSX
A Model 70 classic longer range hunting rifle. 145gr ELD X
A pre 64 Model 70.130gr TTSX
Rem 700 that was my first serious do all rifle that I shot thousands of rounds through and eventually had to rebarrel and now likes 130gr NBT.
Then there are the ones I have not even shot yet. grin

With all those 270's I still find myself with a couple 7mm-08's and a couple Creedmoors. crazy

At one point I owned a 700 and 7600 in 338-06. Both would shoot the same load in Nosler 210gr NPT and 200gr Hornady IL bullet. My 700 would stack them in one group and the 7600 needed a couple clicks of adjustment between the two loads.
Admitting to having that many .270's.... shocked

Some here would equate that with a "coming out" declaration... blush

But, of course, I'm not one to insinuate such.. grin

DF
Posted By: CRS Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/11/20
Don't forget Creedmoors too...…..

I always follow the 270 bashing with a good dose of humor laugh always thought it was a sign of insecurity and inadequacy. cool
Originally Posted by CRS
Don't forget Creedmoors too...…..

I always follow the 270 bashing with a good dose of humor laugh always thought it was a sign of insecurity and inadequacy. cool

laugh

Yeah the Creed crowd does catch some barbs from time to time.

Made fun of, not too unlike Aggies and Cajuns.... grin

All good.

DF
Posted By: Seafire Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/11/20

DF

Once you try it, I bet you'll rethink that statement...

I run 65 grains of it with 200 and 62.5 grs with 225 grain Hornady SPs....it the fastest velocity and most accurate with those two bullets...

IMR 4895, and IMR 4064 are also two of my favorites... 3031 gives a little less velocity, but gives up nothing for accuracy.
I don’t see that much H-380 data for the 338-06, not enough. What I do see is below your numbers. I’m gonna work up some loads and see how it goes. You probably onto something.

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/11/20
It's like H-4831 and the '06 DF, can't get enough in to over pressure.
I found IMR 4064 to be excellent for velocity and accuracy in my 338-06 and my 35 Whelen.
Originally Posted by longbarrel
I found IMR 4064 to be excellent for velocity and accuracy in my 338-06 and my 35 Whelen.

That's pretty close on the Burn Rate Chart to the old 338-06 classic, 4320, and another popular one, RL-15, So, no reason why it shouldn't work.

I got a can of Vv n-150, which is Nosler's accuracy powder for their 180 NAB. Got some of those, too, blems at SPS. Back when I had a 338-284, the 180 NAB over 53 gr. RL-15 was a good load. I plan to try n-150, H-380 and RL-15 with those bullets.

I'll also try H-380 with the 160 TTSX and 210 NPT, save the Varget for my 7-08 and 22-204..

DF
Posted By: fremont Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/11/20
I'm just finishing restocking my Improved. Before I changed stocks, it shot 200 NABs pretty well with both CFE-223 and Big Game. I'd like to increase its versatility, adding 210 NPTs, 215 SGKs and 210 Sciroccos to its repertoire. And, when in doubt, there's always Re-15.......
Originally Posted by fremont
I'm just finishing restocking my Improved. Before I changed stocks, it shot 200 NABs pretty well with both CFE-223 and Big Game. I'd like to increase its versatility, adding 210 NPTs, 215 SGKs and 210 Sciroccos to its repertoire. And, when in doubt, there's always Re-15.......

I've read the 215 SGK is a hard bullet, a bit hard for WT's and such, maybe OK for big, tough critters. I have some but doubt I'll be using them on our local deer.

What have you heard or seen with that bullet?

The 140 SGK HPBT is the most accurate bullet in my 7-08 and currently my bullet of choice for deer and hogs.

DF
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gotcha gunner. I understand.

You and Seafire both strong on that powder, no way I'm not gonna give it a serious whirl...

Thanks,

DF
Posted By: CRS Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/12/20
DF,
I had read somewhere that the 215 SGK is a softer bullet. I have never been much of a Sierra user, so never tried them. Would really like to hear from someone that has used these in the field on deer-elk size game.

Being a looney, I was just studying bullet availability in 225gr and up last night. Just in case my new Safari 338-06 does not like the 210gr Barnes T/TSX. Thinking very hard on the Hornady 225 or 250gr IL, or maybe 225gr GMX. Then there is always the NPT or bonded? Decisions, decisions, decisions. crazy

But every time I start leaning towards a lead based bullet in heavier weight I loop back to the 200-210gr mono's, since they will penetrate just as deeply. So I really hope the 200-210gr mono's shoot.
Posted By: noKnees Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/12/20
Originally Posted by CRS
DF,
I had read somewhere that the 215 SGK is a softer bullet. I have never been much of a Sierra user, so never tried them. Would really like to hear from someone that has used these in the field on deer-elk size game.

Being a looney, I was just studying bullet availability in 225gr and up last night. Just in case my new Safari 338-06 does not like the 210gr Barnes T/TSX. Thinking very hard on the Hornady 225 or 250gr IL, or maybe 225gr GMX. Then there is always the NPT or bonded? Decisions, decisions, decisions. crazy

But every time I start leaning towards a lead based bullet in heavier weight I loop back to the 200-210gr mono's, since they will penetrate just as deeply. So I really hope the 200-210gr mono's shoot.

My one concern I had when I loaded 210TTSX in the 338RCM was expansion at range. Barnes says the lower velocity level for expansion was 1800fps, but a some users have said that expansion below 2200 fps wasn't very pronounced. Starting at 2750, which was about the max in my 22" 338RCM was 2200 FPS was around 350yds. I didn't really expect to shoot beyond that, but for some that could be a limitation. Of course if your ok with expansion below my somewhat arbitrary 2200fps then its not an issue.
In the 338-06 heavy bullets are pretty slow compared to the 338 WM. I’m thinking the 225 is about the heaviest I‘d want to use, saving 250’s for the 338 WM.

And bullet length is a consideration with case capacity. The heavier monos are pretty long. In fact if you look at the 160 TTSX, it’s almost as long as the 210 NPT. If the 180 NAB shoots as good as I think it will, it could be a player. Right now, 160 TTSX and 210 NPT are top contenders.

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/12/20
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gotcha gunner. I understand.

You and Seafire both strong on that powder, no way I'm not gonna give it a serious whirl...

Thanks,

DF

Yo quiet Welcome Neighbor.
Posted By: fremont Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/12/20
I've read the 215 SGK is a hard bullet

Originally Posted by CRS
I had read somewhere that the 215 SGK is a softer bullet.

LOL. I've been led to believe the former (harder). Have carried in the field (over Re-15) but never got a shot on an animal. Would have no hesitancy sending it downrange on an elk-sized animal.
Posted By: CRS Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/12/20
Originally Posted by noKnees
Originally Posted by CRS
DF,

My one concern I had when I loaded 210TTSX in the 338RCM was expansion at range. Barnes says the lower velocity level for expansion was 1800fps, but a some users have said that expansion below 2200 fps wasn't very pronounced. Starting at 2750, which was about the max in my 22" 338RCM was 2200 FPS was around 350yds. I didn't really expect to shoot beyond that, but for some that could be a limitation. Of course if your ok with expansion below my somewhat arbitrary 2200fps then its not an issue.

Yes, that is why I am thinking a C&C or bonded if I need to go heavier.

My only experience with a longer shot using a 210gr TSX was 275 yards on a bull elk. The impact velocity should have been right around 2200 fps. Complete pass through and no evidence of less than expected expansion. Example of one, so taken with a grain of salt.
Posted By: prm Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/13/20
Do not use the 215 SGK until you test it in whatever media you like. I tested them with my 338-06 in dry magazines and they did not open at all. Another member had the same result. Sierra said it was designed for the 338 WM. I have to laugh at that. If it won’t open at point blank range out of a 338-06 where would it work in a WinMag?
Posted By: Seafire Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by fremont

I've read the 215 SGK is a hard bullet, a bit hard for WT's and such, maybe OK for big, tough critters. I have some but doubt I'll be using them on our local deer.

What have you heard or seen with that bullet?

The 140 SGK HPBT is the most accurate bullet in my 7-08 and currently my bullet of choice for deer and hogs.

DF

I can attest, that both the Sierra 338 cal 215 grainer AND the 200 grain Sierra 30 cal, gave poor performance on a few white tails in northern MN years ago...just like the game changer 6mm 90 grainer.. they need to be pushed real hard, and on larger big game than just Bambi and friends...and that was according to Sierra techs....and yeah, call me crazy but I have a habit of calling manufacturers customer service when a product fails.. be it bullets or a toaster...or a set of tires...

why Sierra likes to make some bullets too darn hard for most applications is beyond me..

Addendum... in the 338 bore, after having what I considered poor performance in my 338/06 from some bullets, like Sierra, and decided not to try the premium stuff due to price.. but came to that conclusion AFTER I tried plain old Hornady SPs.. which they 'wisely'.. ( read that as sarcasm) discontinue.. but with stiff charges of H 380, the 200, 225 and 250 grain RN/SP worked real well... so didn't need to try any other higher cost bullets... the Hornadys were also quite accurate...I still have enough to outlast my getting old, old ass...

In 30 caliber, from Sierra, I settled my uses on just a couple of their bullets....the 180 and 220 grain RN...and the 150 gr FN or RN.. for the 30/30... lower velocity loads... their 110 grain HP, worked well behind a load of 30 grains of 4198, on Oregon Blacktails.. especially for kids and/or the wife...Hornady's 180 and 220 gr RNs.. they never fail... fast or slow...
Posted By: Seafire Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/13/20
In the 338-06 heavy bullets are pretty slow compared to the 338 WM. I’m thinking the 225 is about the heaviest I‘d want to use, saving 250’s for the 338 WM.

And bullet length is a consideration with case capacity. The heavier monos are pretty long. In fact if you look at the 160 TTSX, it’s almost as long as the 210 NPT. If the 180 NAB shoots as good as I think it will, it could be a player. Right now, 160 TTSX and 210 NPT are top contenders.

DF

DF,
my 338/06, using my favorite H 380 yields 2900+ with a 200 grain bullet, 2750 plus with a 225, and 2650 fps with a 250 gr RN, all Hornady bullets...

or the three IMR powders.. 3031, 4895, and 4064, do awfully darn well for velocity and accuracy with those three bullets...

besides another interesting thing noted ( and credit goes to the Sierra Manual)...

50 grains of 4064, with the 200, 225 and 250 grain RN, each give 2500 fps MV, and also pretty much the same point of impact at 100 yds..... thats kinda versatile in my book....and at 300 yds, the bullets will open up on a most deer, big ones of course, but also will drop a scrawny antelope sized blacktail also....DRT with proper shot placement... that load also kicks less than you think it should.. at least out of my Model 70, which is a bored out 270.... bought that rifle brand new in Montana at a Walmart Close out, post season for $250, never fired a 270 round thru it.. took it up to Eugene and had it rebored to 338/06, by Bob West....

Bob West,. he's another story.. but that gave the rifle a little pedigree, for those that knew the name...

Hank Williams Jr and Tom Selleck certainly know the name.... and so did P.O. Ackley, who trained old Bob West...
Posted By: CRS Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/13/20
Great info Seafire.

I have had really good performance with the 200gr Hornady on deer/antelope. Did not realize they discontinued it.

I do have some SST's on the shelf. They shoot very well, but I have not used them on game yet.

I went with the Ballistic Silvertips as MD has stated they are tough, and I liked the idea of the Lubalox coating. From a sample of two deer this past fall, I feel they are softer than I prefer. Had jacket separation on one of the bullets.
Well, guys I was able to buy new Norma .338-06 brass from the guy my wife bought the gun from. I loaded up 210g NPT and 225g NPT and TTSX. Now I just have to wait for the temp to get above 0 a ways so I can give the rounds an honest test without shaking to much. I just used book loads for now. They are quite a bit slower than what individuals are getting with their loads.
Well, guys I was able to buy new Norma .338-06 brass from the guy my wife bought the gun from. I loaded up 210g NPT and 225g NPT and TTSX. Now I just have to wait for the temp to get above 0 a ways so I can give the rounds an honest test without shaking to much. I just used book loads for now. They are quite a bit slower than what individuals are getting with their loads.

Well, there are book loads, then there are "Fire loads"... grin

DF

Well, there are book loads, then there are "Fire loads"... grinDF

Ain't that the truth.

What is funny is the write-up on the .338-6 in the Nolser #8 manual the guy says he is getting 2920 with 200g Noslers,Accubonds but that is way above what Nosler shows.

Well, there are book loads, then there are "Fire loads"... grinDF

Ain't that the truth.

What is funny is the write-up on the .338-06 in the Nolser #8 manual the guy says he is getting 2920 with 200g Noslers,Accubonds but that is way above what Nosler shows.

Reckon that guy was a Fire contributor...?

It wasn't gunner500, was it... blush

Seafire...?

You'd think Nosler would edit their stuff better than that.

laugh
Posted By: CRS Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/13/20
Just like other rounds, book velocity has slowly decreased. One of my old Hornady manuals lists 2900 with a 200gr. Will check it again when I get home tonight.
Originally Posted by CRS
Just like other rounds, book velocity has slowly decreased. One of my old Hornady manuals lists 2900 with a 200gr. Will check it again when I get home tonight.

Lawyers?

DF
Originally Posted by CRS

My #10 Hornady Manual lists 2900 fps with 200g and 2600 with 250s depending on powder. Not having an in with Nosler I wonder if they keep it lower in adherence to the partition since it doesn't squeeze down as easy at the partition pressures maybe a bit more.
Posted By: CRS Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/14/20
I was mistaken, data has not changed.

Hornady Manuals 200gr SP
4th-no data
6th- 3 loads at 2900 with 23.5" barrel, 1:9 twist, IMR4895, Varget and Rel 15
7th through 10th edition all have same data.

Posted By: powdr Re: ? on handloading .338-06 - 01/17/20
tag
© 24hourcampfire