Home
Posted By: 160user Important UPS Update TODAY - 08/29/22
This caught me a little off guard and I wanted to share with others. The portion about "parts" is the sticky part, especially if you need to file a claim.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That’s so they can charge you extra!!!
I presume a customer center is a UPS company store as opposed to simply a drop off point.
Our local print shop for example.
Posted By: 160user Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 08/29/22
I have been shipping directly from a Hub so I don't believe that is the issue. You need to create an on-line account (complete with CC number) and print your label, pay electronically and schedule a pick up. What a giant PITA. I may have to quit selling through the mail. Even worse is that I never saw or heard anything about this before.
Posted By: win7stw Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 08/29/22
I thought you were selling lumber samples……
The gal at the counter knows what I ship and because this is a new policy that she didn't even know about she let me ship but told me I would need to look for another way in the future. I wonder how many Ebay sellers are going to get caught by this?
Posted By: SupFoo Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 08/29/22
"Parts" ??

Does that include ANY part? Barrels, triggers, stocks, grips, etc, or just the serialized items as newly defined?
So let me get this straight

Can I still ship from a UPS Hub?
Ok, I’ve got an account. It’s worth the trouble as I get discounts from 12-25% on shipping.
Originally Posted by Mossyoak1957

No, that is what I normally do. The only way they will take them now is if they pick them up from your home or business. You need to schedule a "pick up" and they will arrive promptly between 1200 and 1700 so you need to sit around a half day waiting for them. What a giant PITA.
Posted By: ring3 Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 08/29/22
More hassles. At some point it would seems FFL to FFL will be only option. More expensive option for all of course.
I recently sold some ammunition and called UPS to inquire about their procedure. I have an account with them. I was told that they only do pick up on those items. They didn't tell me that they charge $35.00 for a pick up. I found it added to my statement.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 08/29/22
Recently I shipped a couple stocks to John Boy for his custom painting service. I went to my local UPS Store and was told they could not ship anything firearm related. Anything - period. Only a UPS Hub was authorized to ship any firearms related items. I knew the manager and she asked if the stocks were being addressed to a firearm company or to an individual. When I told her the name and address was to an individual she agreed to ship them. I suppose that way there would be no questions from above her head directed downward on her.
Originally Posted by 160user

No, that is what I normally do. The only way they will take them now is if they pick them up from your home or business. You need to schedule a "pick up" and they will arrive promptly between 1200 and 1700 so you need to sit around a half day waiting for them. What a giant PITA.

WOW ok,
Guess I'll be shipping golf clubs from now on....lol
Originally Posted by safarihunter
I recently sold some ammunition and called UPS to inquire about their procedure. I have an account with them. I was told that they only do pick up on those items. They didn't tell me that they charge $35.00 for a pick up. I found it added to my statement.

I just checked my bank account and you are right. I wonder if you have several packages picked up the same day if the charge is a daily charge or per package?

WOW ok,
Guess I'll be shipping golf clubs from now on....lol

The lady and I discussed this and that would be fine........until they get damaged and you try to file a claim. On my one damaged package I had to scan the PM into the UPS system as proof of what was in the package as well as the value even though it was listed as a rifle on the label with $900 worth of insurance.
Any idea on what impact this will have on shipping ammo?
Originally Posted by aboltfan
Any idea on what impact this will have on shipping ammo?

My GUESS is that you will need to do the label on-line and schedule a pick-up (for an additional fee).
Posted By: EMoore Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 08/30/22
We got an email today at work (FFL)...says ALL handguns will have to be shipped next day air if they're going by UPS. Not sure when this takes effect, but the shipping guy was cussing about it.
Posted By: 160user Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 08/30/22
Originally Posted by EMoore
We got an email today at work (FFL)...says ALL handguns will have to be shipped next day air if they're going by UPS. Not sure when this takes effect, but the shipping guy was cussing about it.

I thought that had already gone into effect but I am not a handgun guy.
None of the Mailboxes express or other vendors around here would accept anything firearm related for a long time. I would take firearms to the hub and no problem. parts like springs , screws, grips go USPS and now ammo and guns go Fed Ex. More squeezing the firearm industry out of business by commie bass turds.
Originally Posted by 348winchester
None of the Mailboxes express or other vendors around here would accept anything firearm related for a long time. I would take firearms to the hub and no problem. parts like springs , screws, grips go USPS and now ammo and guns go Fed Ex. More squeezing the firearm industry out of business by commie bass turds.

Absolutely. FEDEX isn't an option for me as the nearest one is an hour and a half away. I am not spending 3 hours of windshield time to ship and gun stock.
This sux. I guess the USPS is an option for shipping stocks but that doesn’t instill much confidence in timely & safe delivery.
Originally Posted by GAGoober
This sux. I guess the USPS is an option for shipping stocks but that doesn’t instill much confidence in timely & safe delivery.

Exactly. And anything over 30 inches (like a rifle stock) is almost cost prohibitive.
Posted By: Dinny Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 08/30/22
I won't send anything through UPS without $1000+ insurance. They maintain a chain of custody for those high value packages. An ammo manufacturer friend started doing that after UPS lost 8 of his packages. Now they haven't lost any.
Started with PayPal......

Now UPS, next FedEx, then USPS. These can fall into line pretty fast.

Then there is this......

Gabby Giffords’ gun control group, Giffords, is calling on major credit card companies to flag gun and ammunition purchases.

Giffords posted a tweet Sunday, which said, “The shooters in at least 5 mass shootings have stockpiled guns & ammo using credit cards and killed 145 people. Visa, Mastercard, and American Express have the power to flag suspicious purchases and save lives. Call on them to act.”

The tweet linked to a campaign by another gun control group called GunsDownAmerica.

The GunsDownAmerica campaign says, “Between 2007 and 2020, the killers in at least five major mass shootings used credit cards to finance their deadly rampages ........ "

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...or-credit-cards-flag-gun-ammo-purchases/

And financial institutions and (armed) IRS agents will be combing through your bank records.

Pretty soon this forum will be non-existent, sellers unable to sell or ship anything.

Team Biden is driving the bus and there is nobody to stop this.

See how that works?
Posted By: SMACK Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 08/30/22
I went into a local UPS store to ship a Magpul CTR carbine stock, just the plastic 6 position stock. I didn’t have time or a box for that matter. So I asked them to box it and ship it. They refused to. Said they wouldn’t ship ANYTHING firearm related.
Posted By: WeimGuy Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 08/30/22
Giffords is married to Democratic senator Mark Kelly who is up for re-election in Arizona.
I just copied this from their website:

How To Ship Firearms

Shipments containing Firearm Products are accepted for transportation only from shippers who are federally licensed and have an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.
This is copied from Fed Ex site:

Steps for how to ship firearms
Shippers with a Federal Firearm License

Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx. Also, you must be an approved firearm shipper with a signed contract on file with FedEx. For more information, contact your FedEx account executive.

Nonlicensee shippers

Nonlicensees are prohibited from shipping firearms with FedEx.
So the only way to ship long guns is usps. And no way to ship handguns. For the unlicensed that is.
I use usps and insure…. 25-30 long guns shipped, no issues

I use my cabelas points to buy $30 hard cases.. it arrives in box… thats what I ship in.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-single-scoped-rifle-case
Posted By: Redneck Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 08/30/22
Originally Posted by John_Boy
Ok, I’ve got an account. It’s worth the trouble as I get discounts from 12-25% on shipping.

Maybe for now. I had an account too, and they canceled it - and I was an ffl too.
Originally Posted by glazer_1972
So the only way to ship long guns is usps. And no way to ship handguns. For the unlicensed that is.

Yes.
Originally Posted by Redneck

Yes.

No, ship handguns via FEDEX or UPS.
We can ship another of the items via USPS inuit using UPS a long time ago. FedEx still does ship guns for now. BUT LET'S NOT USE UPS FOR ANYTHING! We can put a dampner in things there are a lot of us.
Originally Posted by Rodney482
I use my cabelas points to buy $30 hard cases.

You can buy those cases in bulk (50ea) for $16ea from Plano Molding. P/N 1010470
They come individually boxed on a pallet.

Tony
Originally Posted by Griggsy458
We can ship another of the items via USPS inuit using UPS a long time ago. FedEx still does ship guns for now. BUT LET'S NOT USE UPS FOR ANYTHING! We can put a dampner in things there are a lot of us.

Steps for how to ship firearms
Shippers with a Federal Firearm License

Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx. Also, you must be an approved firearm shipper with a signed contract on file with FedEx. For more information, contact your FedEx account executive.

Nonlicensee shippers

Nonlicensees are prohibited from shipping firearms with FedEx.

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/how-to-ship-firearms.html
Luckily, for now, FEDEX and UPS don't write laws.
Originally Posted by TonyRumore

You can buy those cases in bulk (50ea) for $16ea from Plano Molding. P/N 1010470

Tony

The last ones I bought on-line from walmart were less than $17 including shipping and tax.
Fed Ex and UPS are private shippers they can make there own rules. Early 2000's is when we started paying for overnight and second day because of theft through THEIR EMPLOYEES!
So I shipped my first package with them today after the new rules took affect. I can't wrap my head around what they are accomplishing by doing it this way. They still took my package but came to my house to get it rather than me being able to drop it off there. I am not sure what that solves.
Am I the only one who finds it strange that a bakery in Colorado as a "private entity" can't tell someone that we won't bake a cake for you because it's against their moral and religious beliefs. BUT! UPS can tell us as a "private entity" they will not ship our items because of their moral or whatever beliefs!? Food for thought!
So I shipped my first package with them today after the new rules took affect. I can't wrap my head around what they are accomplishing by doing it this way. They still took my package but came to my house to get it rather than me being able to drop it off there. I am not sure what that solves.

They verified where you actually live. I.E. making a list, checking it twice.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

They verified where you actually live. I.E. making a list, checking it twice.

My account is based on my landline phone number and is the first thing they ask for when I go into the hub. I've lived in the same place and had the same phone number for 22 years. I am not hard to find and a creature of habit. Another hint for them, they DELIVER to me at that address so they already that that clue figured out.
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54

Yes.

Good luck.

Yes.

Good luck.

No luck involved. Did it last week, no overnight crap either. UPS and FEDEX don't write laws.
Fed Ex and UPS are private shippers they can make there own rules. Early 2000's is when we started paying for overnight and second day because of theft through THEIR EMPLOYEES!

Yes they can, but it's still not illegal.
If you are an FFL and want an exercise in frustration go to the UPS website and try to figure out how to enter into "an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products". Ended up speaking to someone in Delhi that understood english worse than she spoke it (I lived in Asia for two years around A LOT of indians, speak broken english very well, and can generally hear through the accent....but this was a tough one). Eventually after convincing her I did not need to schedule a pickup and did not have a tracking number, she put me on hold and must have done a little research. According to her, the way to set up the agreement is to bring your ID (and I assume the license) to the shipping hub where you can fill out some paperwork. Will find out shortly as I am shipping some out tomorrow.

I like USPS but UPS kicks there butt every time on rates unless it is in-state. Even than they are still competitive. I am hoping the label can still be generated through a third party as I get better rates through pirateship.com than I was getting on my UPS account.
Posted By: Dinny Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 08/31/22

Old Guy - I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you never have a lost or damaged package. Even if you insure it they can deny your claim for a rules violation. My gunsmith is dealing with another loss right now after shipping a firearm using Pirate Ship. Their rules state NO SHIPPING FIREARMS. They won't initiate an investigation and told him they will deny any claims he files.
Posted By: Dinny Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 08/31/22
Originally Posted by MedRiver
I am hoping the label can still be generated through a third party as I get better rates through pirateship.com than I was getting on my UPS account.

Not with Pirate Ship.

Attached picture IMG_20220830_29494.jpg

Tony

Tony

Thank you
Posted By: ag91 Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 08/31/22
Wow. OP, thanks for the info.

Honestly, IMO you have to make this as much of an unprofitable decision as possible:

1. Refuse to use UPS for any shipment. Especially those that have nothing to do with firearms. Do everything to hit them where it hurts. Yeah, I know that they are all following suit.
2. Write your GOP Senator and Congressman. I'd be willing to bet that they may have some ideas how to make this more expensive for these companies. They can definitely make USPS hurt.

Most companies just want to turn a profit. Usually the best thing to do to undo this sort of change is to make it as unprofitable as possible.
Originally Posted by Dinny

Old Guy - I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you never have a lost or damaged package. Even if you insure it they can deny your claim for a rules violation. My gunsmith is dealing with another loss right now after shipping a firearm using Pirate Ship. Their rules state NO SHIPPING FIREARMS. They won't initiate an investigation and told him they will deny any claims he files.

Ok?

Tony

Hey Tony, do you have a link for this? I looked many times and found no option to buy a pallet of 50. I found the part number and they are $44 each.
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Started with PayPal......

Now UPS, next FedEx, then USPS. These can fall into line pretty fast.

Then there is this......

Gabby Giffords’ gun control group, Giffords, is calling on major credit card companies to flag gun and ammunition purchases.

Giffords posted a tweet Sunday, which said, “The shooters in at least 5 mass shootings have stockpiled guns & ammo using credit cards and killed 145 people. Visa, Mastercard, and American Express have the power to flag suspicious purchases and save lives. Call on them to act.”

The tweet linked to a campaign by another gun control group called GunsDownAmerica.

The GunsDownAmerica campaign says, “Between 2007 and 2020, the killers in at least five major mass shootings used credit cards to finance their deadly rampages ........ "

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...or-credit-cards-flag-gun-ammo-purchases/

And financial institutions and (armed) IRS agents will be combing through your bank records.

Pretty soon this forum will be non-existent, sellers unable to sell or ship anything.

Team Biden is driving the bus and there is nobody to stop this.

See how that works?
You left out the letters
https://www.markey.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/shipping_companies_security_on_gun_shipments_letters.pdf

"Under existing law, only licensed gun dealers and manufacturers — known as Federal Firearms
Licenses (FFL) — can ship a firearm across state lines."

Really?
I shipped a chassis from the local ups store Monday without knowing this rule was in effect until now. He asked what it was and I told him aluminum stock. He typed it in and shipped it we will see if it gets there today.

Can someone post a link to the new rules?
Posted By: DBrink Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 08/31/22
Originally Posted by Fireball2

"Under existing law, only licensed gun dealers and manufacturers — known as Federal Firearms
Licenses (FFL) — can ship a firearm across state lines."

Really?

No one says they have to tell the truth. Unfortunately that is the case related to Government in general.

Are we sure pickup is $35? I googled it and results were a lot less?...Tom
Posted By: 160user Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 08/31/22
Originally Posted by thomasconnor

Are we sure pickup is $35? I googled it and results were a lot less?...Tom

I paid $26 Monday for just the pick up, plus the actual freight...........
Originally Posted by antelopedundee

Can someone post a link to the new rules?
https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/s...prohibited-items/firearms.page?loc=en_US
Sounds like it's going to be a need to know basis from now on, and they don't need to know
Posted By: Dinny Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 09/01/22
Originally Posted by ThompsonJ
Sounds like it's going to be a need to know basis from now on, and they don't need to know

What happens when the contents become damaged or lost?

The same thing as before, UPS denies the claim and you're out of pocket.
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50

The same thing as before, UPS denies the claim and you're out of pocket.
That’s pretty funny! And sadly true.
Posted By: Jerryv Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 09/01/22

They are probably trying to reduce the amount of theft that goes on at their hubs. When they catch a thief, they have to fire them and it is too hard to replace the scumbag. So they try to remove the opportunity.

Jerry

Good lord Nancy. Have you gone through your entire life being afraid?
If it's 48 inches long how do you ship???
Phil
Originally Posted by candipogo
If it's 48 inches long how do you ship???
Phil
The way the manufacturer did: take down the gun into a barrel set and the stocked receiver.
Originally Posted by Jerryv

They are probably trying to reduce the amount of theft that goes on at their hubs. When they catch a thief, they have to fire them and it is too hard to replace the scumbag. So they try to remove the opportunity.

Jerry
How is this supposed to reduce theft? Aren't the packages still going to go through the same channels once inside the UPS bowels? I find it odd that UPS rules say there can't be anything on the outside indicating a firearm but the sender has to tell the driver a package contains a firearm at the scheduled pick up. That won't lead to theft...
Posted By: Dinny Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 09/01/22

Good lord Nancy. Have you gone through your entire life being afraid?

I hope they lose one of your guns like they did mine! I spent years customizing the Ruger Blackhawk to my likes. If the gunsmith had followed UPS rules there's a great chance it would not have been lost.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17495744/bolo-lost-stolen-guns

Oh yeah, one other thing too, GFY!
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Jerryv

Jerry
How is this supposed to reduce theft? Aren't the packages still going to go through the same channels once inside the UPS bowels? I find it odd that UPS rules say there can't be anything on the outside indicating a firearm but the sender has to tell the driver a package contains a firearm at the scheduled pick up. That won't lead to theft...
Federal law says they are not allowed to mark the package indicating it contains a firearm.
So I called my UPS HUB to find out what the deal was couldn't even get to talk to a human hung up, went to the post office a half mile from my house shipped a rifle in a hard case in a box for 80.00 bucks it was fairly heavy... to an FFL insured, return receipt, transaction went smooth as silk..
No hand gun shipping through the USPS though
Posted By: 160user Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 09/04/22
So I called my UPS HUB to find out what the deal was couldn't even get to talk to a human hung up, went to the post office a half mile from my house shipped a rifle in a hard case in a box for 80.00 bucks it was fairly heavy... to an FFL insured for $1600 return receipt, transaction went smooth as silk..
No hand gun shipping through the USPS though

USPS is an option for long guns but more expensive. Most that I have shipped UPS were around $35.
Posted By: aalf Re: Important UPS Update TODAY - 09/04/22
For those shipping and receiving in & around the midwest, go with these guys:

https://speedeedelivery.com/
© 24hourcampfire