Home
Posted By: ruger1v Scammer alert! - 11/27/23
If anyone on this forum or any other forum has been scammed by a Michael Spector in Phoenix Arizona please contact me. I am working with a detective that has found Mr. Spector. The problem is the D.A. is hesitant to do much as Mr. Spector was smart enough to keep his scams under $1,000 and unless multiple people come forward he will escape prosecution.

Moderator feel free to post this anywhere you would like.
Posted By: Rodney482 Re: Scammer alert! - 11/27/23
Ttt
Posted By: Heavybullets Re: Scammer alert! - 11/27/23
TTT, Thanks for the heads up!
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Scammer alert! - 11/27/23
User name?
Posted By: passport Re: Scammer alert! - 11/27/23
We need a member in phoenix to “pay him a visit”…..
Posted By: WL205 Re: Scammer alert! - 11/27/23
He attempted to scam me a couple years ago on a Kimber Montana 223. Id found the same pics online and caught his photoshopped attempt at putting his name and date with the gun. I agreed to buy the rifle and send him a USPS MO. He repeatedly made the point that he wanted me to get a tracking number for the MO to which I forgot oops! I led him along for about two weeks that the MO should arrive any day. He even wanted me to go back to the PO and see if they could track it. Finally, I couldn’t resist any longer and asked him how many trips he’d made to someone else’s mailbox looking for it, and told him I gotta kick out of wasting his two weeks.
Posted By: Biebs Re: Scammer alert! - 11/27/23
Good for you!
Posted By: npost Re: Scammer alert! - 11/27/23
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
User name?
What was his user name or email
Posted By: rmb721 Re: Scammer alert! - 11/28/23
Keep this near the top.
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Scammer alert! - 11/28/23
ttt
Posted By: ruger1v Re: Scammer alert! - 11/28/23
WL205 Please contact me. If this was the same guy the detective from Phoenix would like as much information or documentation that you can provide. Again, this is not about the money as much as it is about the principal involved. I have successfully purchased items on this forum and others without an issue and thought I was doing due diligence. This guy is a pro. He provided me a drivers license that matched one of his addresses, but when Phoenix PD ran the license it was fake. However, they found him from other email evidence I provided as well as the endorsement of my canceled check.

The purpose of this post is to give hope to others on this forum that may have been scammed. There is no guarantee of recovering money or the firearm you thought you were buying but the satisfaction that he can be prosecuted on felony charges rather than overlooked as misdemeanor offense.
Posted By: duke61 Re: Scammer alert! - 11/28/23
There's always a lazy scumbag out ther looking to scam someone. I'm sorry it happened on this site.
Posted By: andyrping Re: Scammer alert! - 11/28/23
You’d think it’d be easier just to get a damn job, lol. Hope the turd gets nailed.
I just received an email from the detective in Phoenix handling this case. He says he interviewed the turd and his stories did not jive. Problem is this guy is 79 years old and the county attorney may not prosecute unless a few more come forward. Every victim/witness helps to assure he will not pick up where he left off. He is well aware that the DA may not prosecute so he goes silent for a few months, hits a new forum, but same MO. He needs to be held accountable. If any of you are on any other forums that Mr. Spector may have pulled the same scam please reach out to the members or give me the lead to do so via PM. I am 72 so I have no sympathy for this guy. He knows exactly what he is doing and flaunting it.
Posted By: Mdfowler Re: Scammer alert! - 11/28/23
Wish I could help on this. Good luck nailing this guy. What a jerk.
Spread the word on this and other forums and that is a great help
ttt
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Scammer alert! - 11/29/23
What. Is. His. Username?
Posted By: Xerothermic Re: Scammer alert! - 11/29/23
Apparently, the OP doesn't know or remember the username.
Posted By: ruger1v Re: Scammer alert! - 11/29/23
He use several. Graybar was one, something "ghost", etc. etc. He hits then is gone coming back with a new email and location but checks all go to Phoenix AZ. Again, I am looking for anyone else that got scammed here or on other forums. They will recognize the name Michael Spector.

The Phoenix detective is going for a court order to secure his financial records.
Greyta was the name used on the Ruger Forum post. That is where he got me.
Sorry, it was not the Ruger Forum (he did get others there). It was on the Marlin Owners Forum. The moderator on that site banned him back in February of 2022 and is trying to recover all other incidents of his scam activity.
He has also gone by Greynut on this forum according to one of the members that came forward on a PM
Posted By: Skeezix Re: Scammer alert! - 11/29/23
Like my Dad used to say: "You're never too old to get your butt whupped."
Not looking for vigilante party, simply trying to make sure this guy pays the price for knowingly committing fraudulent deals on these forums. I have met some of the best people through my interaction on this and other forums. I basically try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. This turd had several legitimate postings on the Marlin site, but that was a ploy I guess to gather confidence in the members of the forum before he would ultimately have something that one of the members, including me posted on the WTB platform.

Again, anyone here that was scammed or attempted to be scammed PM me and I will put you in touch with the detective working the case.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Scammer alert! - 11/29/23
A quick google search shows a Michael Spector, 79 of Phoenix, Arizona to be an Anesthesiologist. Surely that isn't him.
Someone on the 1919A4 Forum sent me this as the address he used in one of his scams. This was his message. If you go on Zillow this is an upscale apartment complex. So I cannot guess his prior or current employment occupation. He is no dummy.

From 1919A4 forum;

"Address comes up with this place. Unit 2025 does not. Only 27 minutes away. Nice place I want to live there.🤣"

240 W. Osborn Road, #2025,
Phoenix, AZ 85013

Google this address in Zillow
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Scammer alert! - 11/29/23
33 W Missouri Ave UNIT 12, Phoenix, AZ 85013
602-200-0504

Here's what I get.

*edit*
Nobody go knocking on this door! I have no idea whether this is the same guy or a valid address.
Either a different person or he moved, or it is real address. I can only confirm my detective told me his age of 79. So either ironic, coincidental, or it is the real address. He is obviously internet savvy. Law savvy. Hard to guess his motivation.

Again, I want to keep it on topic of the Michael Spector that scammed me and others. If anyone reading this post recognizes the name, was scammed or was approached by someone of the same name with a scam please PM me. I will speak with the detective but I am sure he does not want me or anyone else showing up at this guys door. That is what the legal system is for.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Scammer alert! - 11/29/23
You do know some online scammers have you make payment to someone they know will cash the check for them? A 79 year old would be an easy target for that.
Posted By: jertex Re: Scammer alert! - 12/01/23
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
You do know some online scammers have you make payment to someone they know will cash the check for them? A 79 year old would be an easy target for that.
This. Could be a son or grandson telling his grandpa that he needs to have checks mailed there for items he sold online.
Posted By: Sabretooth Re: Scammer alert! - 12/01/23
I had someone by the screen name of Hilmham Hawk said he would buy a revolver that I had listed for sale. He posted “I’ll take it, PM with details for payment options”. I do and he said he was the FFL holder and asked if I would be interested in an electronic payment…. I am beginning to wonder if this guy is fake!
Posted By: TheDude Re: Scammer alert! - 12/01/23
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
I had someone by the screen name of Hilmham Hawk said he would buy a revolver that I had listed for sale. He posted “I’ll take it, PM with details for payment options”. I do and he said he was the FFL holder and asked if I would be interested in an electronic payment…. I am beginning to wonder if this guy is fake!

If you are referring to HilhamHawk, he's not, he's legit. I've done business with him and would happily do it again.
Posted By: 79S Re: Scammer alert! - 12/01/23

Pard you be tripping. Hilamhank is a straight shooter and is a ffl. Here you are tripping the ph uck out because he asked if you do electronic payment. When all you had to say was no you prefer money order.
Posted By: Sabretooth Re: Scammer alert! - 12/01/23
Originally Posted by TheDude

If you are referring to HilhamHawk, he's not, he's legit. I've done business with him and would happily do it again.
The dude is correct. I spoke to him on the phone and we are good. My apologies.... just got thrown for a loop.
Posted By: Jhow Re: Scammer alert! - 12/01/23

Some panties qet twisted rather easily...

Sucks for the scammed and the uninvolved whose names get thrown in the ring on a whim.
Posted By: ruger1v Re: Scammer alert! - 12/02/23
Once again not trying to get people pushing the panic button. I'm willing to bet 99.9% of the transactions done on this and other forums are legitimate and trustworthy. It's the few like Mr. Spector that ruin it for those 99.9% that are legitimate.

Repeat, not looking for hanging mob, simply asking anyone that may have been a victim to please come forward and assist Detective Carrieres in establishing a case that the DA has no choice but to prosecute.

Thanks again
Posted By: Padgett01 Re: Scammer alert! - 12/02/23
I was scammed in late August of 2022 for $500-$600 trying to buy a Remington 1187 12 Gauge

Alex Stewart
240 W. Osborn Road, #2025, Phoenix AZ 85013
(520)365-2068
[email protected]
Posted By: JediWing19 Re: Scammer alert! - 12/02/23
Bump
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Scammer alert! - 12/02/23
Bump
Posted By: mad_okie Re: Scammer alert! - 12/02/23
I hope the PI in Phoenix that’s surely getting paid by someone who got scammed isn’t the same dude who’s running scams. I’m a little bit of an over thinker but seems like a perfect way to get some legit business and run a scam at the same time. Just sayin, if he’s that good why is he messing around with us?
Posted By: ruger1v Re: Scammer alert! - 12/06/23
No conspiracy theory here. One other member came forward from this forum and identified Mr. Spector using the name Little Stewart and tried scamming him. I received an email from the detective and he is obtaining financial records from our turd. So, if you or someone here has been scammed or almost scammed please PM me. We now have 5 victims.
Posted By: ruger1v Re: Scammer alert! - 12/06/23
Sorry, Alex Stuart is the moniker. Address remains the same as to where the checks go.
Posted By: ruger1v Re: Scammer alert! - 01/19/24
Good news for all that have replied to this thread. I was contacted by the detective in Phoenix working this case. He was able to obtain the bank records and found SEVERAL others that had been defrauded. He may reach out to all of us to see if we will pursue pressing charges and even testifying if necessary. James and I have spoken several times and he knows I will fly out from Illinois to Phoenix to testify. I hope there are others that are willing to do so as well. Again, at this point the recovery of money or getting the "firearms we thought we were purchasing" may be a remote possibility. I am a man of principal and I could care less how old he is, who he knows, what his current living condition is----he needs to be held accountable and this is the first step. The guy is smart and figures he has beaten the system by keeping his scam to under $1,000. Now, by his repeated offenses he has crossed that line. Spread the word here and on other forums you may be on that have been affected by Michael Spectors criminal acts.
Posted By: ruger1v Re: Scammer alert! - 01/20/24
UPDATE FROM INVESTIGATOR CARRIERES;

Hi Neal

So 20 emails went out today that looked like the below. I have gotten a couple of responses already, and I think people will respond during the weekend. I can also follow-up with a call, but this intro is good if I have the right email addresses.

Hello Mr. XXXXXX,

I am an Investigator with the Phoenix Police Department and I’m working on a criminal case that involved an individual that advertised weapons for sale in 2022, accepted money orders and checks as payment, and failed to deliver a gun to buyers. Based on records I have reviewed; you may have been a victim. If so, please answer the following questions (you can answer in between each question in red, and email back your responses):

Where and when did you see posting/ad?

Who did you interact with and what weapon was offered and the price?

Did the person provide any identification and what address did you send the payment?

Did you ever receive the weapon or get your money back?

Do you want to be listed as a victim and would you be willing to testify in Arizona if the case went to trial? (The court would pay for your travel and expenses if it went to trial)

If you could provide your full name, address, and telephone number of where I could reach you, that would also help.

If you have any communication (text/email) about the sale, can you capture screen shots and include it with your response? If you have a copy of the ad and possibly his ID, that would be great as well. If you have a copy of the money order/check, please attach that to this email. If you have any questions, please give me a call. Thank You

Here is how you can confirm this request is coming from the Phoenix Police Department. You can call the Phoenix Police Department's Non-Emergency Line, 602-262-6151 (please Google Non-Emergency Number Phoenix Police to verify the number) and tell the dispatcher you would like to verify the identity of an Investigator who contacted you by email. My information is:
Police Civilian Investigator James Carrieres A6923 (Serial Number)
Phoenix PD Non-Emergency # to Verify Identity: 602-262-6151
Assigned to the I44 Financial Fraud Squad in the Property Crimes Bureau
Sgt. Sears, #7181 (Immediate Supervisor)
My Office Number 602-534-0205
Posted By: ruger1v Re: Scammer alert! - 01/20/24
Investigator is now looking at other bank accounts. This may be much larger than we think. My confidence grows that this will now meet the smell test for the DA and go for prosecution.
Posted By: the444shooter Re: Scammer alert! - 01/20/24
Good on them for pursuing, and good on you for sticking with it and following through.
Posted By: ruger1v Re: Scammer alert! - 01/22/24
Thank you. It is not about me at all, it is about the principal.
Posted By: ruger1v Re: Scammer alert! - 01/27/24
TTT
© 24hourcampfire