Home
Looking for ideas for scoping a 17 Fireball. Shots out to 300 yards with 25 grain V-MAX and HP pills. I want plenty of power and it can be a 1" or 30MM. Give me some ideas.
I prefer no more than 20x for varmint rifles. Above that the FOV is so narrow that it becomes difficult to acquire the animal quickly.
Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 Mil-XT

Mirage on hot days and longer shots will keep you down below 20x no matter what scope you pick.
There are many scopes that would fill that need. 300 yard max, so, I assume you’re not dialing.

Older Sightron scopes, like their SIII & BigSky are decent. Japan made

Bushnell Elite 6500 line card is another excellent, older scope. Japan made

Zeiss V4 line card through Redhawk Rifles demo program is a decent option. German engineered, Japan made.

Throw on a SWFA, or NF if you want a robust scope.

🦫

I have fixed 12x Leupolds on 2 of my PD rifles. It is difficult to use more power than that due to mirage in my experience.
Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 with MOAR reticle. That way you can see their eyelashes when you pull the trigger.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Looking for ideas for scoping a 17 Fireball. Shots out to 300 yards with 25 grain V-MAX and HP pills. I want plenty of power and it can be a 1" or 30MM. Give me some ideas.

What gun is this on. I am doing a custom 17fb
For the practical range of a .17 FB with 25 grain bullets you don't need a 30mm tube, you'll have plenty of adjustment with a 1" scope, but if the other features you want only come in a 30mm version it's not a wrong choice.

My .17 FB was a blued Remington 700 SPS sporter. I had an older Leupold 4.5-14X on it. It was a ton of fun watching the bullets hit squirrels and the squirrels depart in several directions at the same time. Our squirrels are somewhere between half and a third the size of an adult p-dog.

I also had a .17 Remington in a 700 BDL which had a 6.5-20X Leupold on it. That was really good for seeing things, maybe a little much for moving shots, however, for a while I had a no-safety 2 ounce 40X match trigger .. those were balanced. Not a running shot scope, not a running shot trigger. Deliberate "set shots." Killed a TON of fuzzies with it.

I think in general the 6.5-20X would be a better choice with a little heavier rifle. They didn't offer 'em back then, but I'd go with a hold-over crosshair over twisting knobs. That's just me.
I have a Weaver KT-15 on my 204 Ruger.
I have 12x40 M8 Leupolds on my Swift and 17 HMR. Wouldn’t change a thing.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

What gun is this on. I am doing a custom 17fb

LH Remington 700 SPC.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 with MOAR reticle. That way you can see their eyelashes when you pull the trigger.

Good idea. I have the SHV 4-14x56 with the MOAR reticle on a 204 Ruger but might move it to the fireball for a try out.
Anything with 2nd focal plane and a BDC type reticle. Windage hash marks are a plus. I say 2nd focal plane so that you can adjust power to match your drop on your bullet.
I took my 17 Rem with the 25 gr bullets along with me on one prairie dog hunt.
Realize that not long after the shooting starts the closer ones sort of evaporate.
And those little 25s dont do very well on the longer ones when the wind is always blowing.
I just got back from my first prairie dog hunt. I had a bightforce SHV 5-20x56 on 1 rifle, a zeiss 4-16x44 on one and an older m8 12x on a 22 k-hornet.

The nightforce and zeiss were nice for the reticles allowing for hold overs and wind holds in a hurry. However I found 20x to be entirely too much on a 300 yard shot. I did most of my shooting with the 12x on the k hornet. The other 2 kept down around 12-14 power. I think a guy could do a lot with a fixed 10-12 power. I will be getting another zeiss 4-16 as to my eyes it was best glass I had on trip.

Good luck with search.
I put a 3-12 LRTS on my gopher gun this spring. Previously had a VXIII 4.5-14 VH ret on (I just can't like that scope, the 3.5-10 on the same body is far nicer, IMO), and then a 2.5-8 Duplex. The LRTS is heavier, but adds a lot of capability to the platform. It's staying.
A fixed SWFA SS 10x MQ is beyond good in a varmint colony. The reticle is just incredible and after a little time spent behind it, your brain can make accurate holdovers by just viewing the varmint against the hash marks.
My 17 fb PD rifle has a 6-18X leupold on it. I usually have it set on 15x cause mirage starts to be a factor above that. I shoot 20 gr V Max in mine.
I’ve got a 3.5-10 with B&C reticle on my 17FB. PDs at 300 are no problem assuming the wind is cooperating.

I’m with others... mirage usually becomes an issue around the mid-teens of power in typical PD country/weather.
Nobody has mentioned Leupold 7 1/2 or 8x with adjustable AO,s to me they are about ideal. Over the years I've killed hundreds of prairie dogs using mine.

One of my fav's

Vortex HS-T 4-16x44---or the PST series 6-24x50

Usually set the power on either one @ 12-14x...all the power ya need

Mirage will always be an issue...sun hitting the cool ground at 6-7K' increases the chances

Some may laugh but I use an ice water soaked Cham Wow across the barrel/under scope

Help keeps barrel cooler....when the Cham Wow starts steaming...time to grab another rifle

223AI & PST on the table shootin' dogs

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That's a serious PD rig!
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
That's a serious PD rig!

He's a serious PD shooter.
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
That's a serious PD rig!

yep...223 AI......9 twist Pac Nor...28" long x 1.117" straight pipe

Salvage target action...Vortex PST 6-24x50....18# as shown

Targets here start at 480 yds..out to 650.....53 V max..killin' machine

Here's a similar set up...only its a 20-222 9 twist... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I just got back from a prairie dog hunt also about four hours ago. I carried four rifles, a 22-250 with an 8-32 sightron, two 20 practicals with 6-24's (one sightron and one nikon) and a 223 AR-15 with a 6-20 weaver. Most of my shots were made at at least 20X, I like a lot of magnification and wouldn't know what to do in a PD town with only 10X. Mirage wasn't a problem and if it is then you just turn down the magnification, I'd rather have too much mag available to me than too little. I continue to be impressed by sightron SIII's, the glass is great and they track perfectly.
https://www.leupold.com/vx-freedom-6-18x40-cds-side-focus-tri-moa-riflescope
The Zeiss Conquest in 6.5-20 or the new V4 line would be great choice if you could find one. The NF NXS is a great option if you want to spent that much. I have shot pile of 17 FB and Mach 4, great PD caliber if the wind isn't to bad. Good Luck
Quick ballistics for 25gr at 3800fps with 100yard zero and 1.5" scope height.
Range Drop
0 -1.49
50 -0.39
100 0.00
150 -0.38
200 -1.67
250 -4.02
300 -7.57
350 -12.53

A maximum magnification of 20X, thin duplex 2nd focal plane reticle would be a good choice. Use hold-over, "aim half a dog high" and probably sight-in at 200yard for best poa/poi.
I've shot a few Pdogs with Leupold 6.5-20 and 4.5-14, and other scopes with 20-24X magnification, and definitely preferred shooting in the 12-16X range.
Back in the day, I was provided with Leica Geovid 7X42 class 1 rangefinder for testing in Wyoming Pdog towns. At the time, the only rangefinders were golf type and they didn't work well in the terrain.
Suggest adding a simple Kestrel to deal with wind, a decent RF.

Good idea. I have the SHV 4-14x56 with the MOAR reticle on a 204 Ruger but might move it to the fireball for a try out.

Perhaps not that good of an idea.........a 56mm objective gains you nothing but added weight for hunting prairie dogs. a friend and I shot about 200 yesterday, every one when the sun was shining brightly with lowly 40mm scopes
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Salvage target action...

I have salvaged an action or two in my time but never a target one, very good grin
Scope for 17 FB?--well obviously the 2.5-8X Nikon LER scope...for an XP-100 pistol (Ha--greatest varmint cartridge ever IMO out of an XP)...and of course that optic itself is no longer being made anymore.
Originally Posted by boatanchor

Perhaps not that good of an idea.........a 56mm objective gains you nothing but added weight for hunting prairie dogs. a friend and I shot about 200 yesterday, every one when the sun was shining brightly with lowly 40mm scopes

Yeah, it's a good idea. Not so concerned about weight at a bench. If it had a 52mm OB I would like it better but I use what is has.
OSU Sig: On my heavy barrel Remington 700 VSF in 17 Remington Fireball I have and have been VERY happy/satisfied with a Leupold 6x18 variable with Du-Plex reticle.
On my custom heavy barrel Remington 700 in 17 MachIV (the predecessor, ballistic and virtual twin of the 17 Remington Fireball) I have and have been VERY happy/satisfied with a Leupold 6x18 variable with Du-Plex reticle.
I have been using and Hunting with these scopes for a combined total of 40 (forty!) years - 26 years so far with the 17 MachIV and 14 years so far with the 17 Remington Fireball.
I heartily recommend the Leupold 6x18 variable with Du-Plex reticle for your Prairie Dog uses.
This recommendation by the way is based on actual in the field and at the range use!
As always - beware of small twig and other Leupold naysayers, malarkey.

Long live Leupold and Stevens Corporation - a fine AMERICAN company!

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I have fixed 12x Leupolds on 2 of my PD rifles. It is difficult to use more power than that due to mirage in my experience.

Exactly what I would run, used many 12x and never wanted for more in field on small critters......just me. Never let me down. A 10x sometimes left me wanting.
Lots of good ideas here, thanks to all.
The MAGNIFICENT Stupidity of Dumb Fhuqkers trying to "talk" rifles and scopes on this Thread alone,is simply fhuqking sensational. That ain't a compliment. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Hmmmmm...where to start?!? The 12x Reupold is both frail and fickle. Unfortunately,I prolly still have a few kicking around somewhere. Hint.

I rather enjoyed that Reupold 4.5-14's and 6.5-20's are "good",especially when coupled with a "hold over crosshair"! Now THAT is some fhuqking funny schit! SFP and Magic "hold over crosshairs". Hint.

Then it gets "Technical": "Anything with 2nd focal plane and a BDC type reticle. Windage hash marks are a plus. I say 2nd focal plane so that you can adjust power to match your drop on your bullet.". Pardon a FFP keeping a lineal angular scale the same size of ruler,no matter where the zoom ring is parked. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

The 6-18x Reupold is a heavily compromised piece of schit,that can never begin to hold zero. Don't even fhuqking try to adjust or hope for a repeat. Hint.

Rather enjoyed the 3.5-10x Reupold nudge,especially with a B&C "reticle". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

From outta the dumpster,there's the 7.5x and 8x Reupold of yore,with their hilarious AO and internals. Hint.

Then the "SERIOUS" rigs,with Hortex PST's! Replete with schit mounting systems and choates. fhuqking HILARIOUS! Hint.

Put your seatbelts on,as some DUMB Fhuqk laudes this schit,with SFP and CDS! Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Not to be Out-Dumbfhuqked,this Fhuqktard goes for the throat! Hint.

A "40yr old 6-18x Reupold" would be worth some money. Imagination and Pretend are fhuqking HILARIOUS,especially when housed in a Retard. Hint.

Bless your hearts,for doing your best.

You gals REALLY "know" your "stuff".

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The MAGNIFICENT Stupidity of Dumb Fhuqkers trying to "talk" rifles and scopes on this Thread alone,is simply fhuqking sensational. That ain't a compliment. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Hmmmmm...where to start?!?

Then it gets "Technical": "Anything with 2nd focal plane and a BDC type reticle. Windage hash marks are a plus. I say 2nd focal plane so that you can adjust power to match your drop on your bullet.". Pardon a FFP keeping a lineal angular scale the same size of ruler,no matter where the zoom ring is parked. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

I've shot dog towns with both FFP/turrets and SFP/BDC. SFP/BDC is faster than turning turrets when you know yardage and DOPE. No lookups converting yardage to MOA or Mil.
Originally Posted by devnull

I've shot dog towns with both FFP/turrets and SFP/BDC. SFP/BDC is faster than turning turrets when you know yardage and DOPE. No lookups converting yardage to MOA or Mil.

You still have to interpolate your hold when it’s between dots.

The first one to miss hasn’t really won the race.
Originally Posted by Wrongside
I put a 3-12 LRTS on my gopher gun this spring.

Originally Posted by Higginez
A fixed SWFA SS 10x MQ is beyond good in a varmint colony. The reticle is just incredible and after a little time spent behind it, your brain can make accurate holdovers by just viewing the varmint against the hash marks.

Either of these work for me.
I've shot hell out of prairie dog towns with an iron sighted 22 long rifle and still had a good time.

AND, I can still outshoot stinky on his best day!
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Yep, and dogs don't always stay still when your dialing. Another miss.

Where do you CLUELESS Lying Pieces Of Fhuqking Schit concoct these fhuqking Delusions?!? Your STUPIDITY is simply staggering,in it's magnitude. Hint.

SFP mandates chasing zoom ratio,for ever changing subtention "values". BDC's are non-lineal Goat Fhuqks,archaeic by design and do not correlate to the erector,turrets or zoom ratio. Hint.

FFP with a lineal graduated etched angular reticle(Mil being quickest/easiest/most intuitive),requires ZERO input,other than an eyeball to ocular lens. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

'Course same combines a Wind Meter too and extrapolates all immediately,in real time. ALL is constant. Hint.

Do tell about the Dog Schit wares you "have" and which steer your crossed-eyes to such rampant fhuqking STUPIDITY. Spare NO particulars,mainly because it will be funnier than fhuqk. Cite "your" receiver,barrel(make,twist,freebore),stock,trigger,mounts,optics(Make/Model),projectile,COAL latitude,velocity and atmosphere if only for starters. Dangle some pics,with your "camera". Be VERY fhuqking careful however,if only for the obvious reason(s). Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

You Day Dreaming Delusional CLUELESS Fhuqktards are a HOOT!!!! Hint.

Bless your heart for Lying,Crying,Trying and Whining.

Hint. LAUGHING!....................
Stick, show some pictures of dog towns you've been in. One will be enough.

FFP Process:
1) Range
2) Lookup yardage to equate to Mil / MOA
3) Dial / Hold
4) Shoot

SFP BDC Process:
1) Range
2) Hold
3) Shoot

My rangefinder doesn't return MOA/ Mil for yardage.

Yep, and dogs don't always stay still when your dialing. Another miss.

Nah, a few yards either way isn't going to amount to more than a click or two. Holding between dots in a BDC scope can easily lead to several clicks of error, depending on the skill of the user.

FFP Process:
1) Range
3) Dial / Hold
4) Shoot

SFP BDC Process:
1) Range
2) Make sure the scope is on the correct magnification setting
3) If the distance isn't a match for one of the dots, figure out where to hold between two dots
4) Hold
5) Shoot

Fixed wink

FFP Process:
1) Range
3) Dial / Hold
4) Shoot

SFP BDC Process:
1) Range
2) Hold
3) Shoot

Lying Piece Of Fhuqking CLUELESS Schit,

Hint.

FFP "process":

Look through scope and kill schit as per whim and retain the ability to Meter wind. There's typically at least (10) Mil's of elevation correction available,simply staring one in the face and laying in wait,as a minimum. Hint.

1100yds of FFP Mil DOPE in an ocular. Hint.

2000yds of FFP Mil DOPE on a Krunchenticker ocular/stock. Hint.

Describe "your" rangefinder,you Brokedick Day Dreaming Delusonal Fhuqktard. Hint.

If only yet again...("Do tell about the Dog Schit wares you "have" and which steer your crossed-eyes to such rampant fhuqking STUPIDITY. Spare NO particulars,mainly because it will be funnier than fhuqk. Cite "your" receiver,barrel(make,twist,freebore),stock,trigger,mounts,optics(Make/Model),projectile,COAL latitude,velocity and atmosphere if only for starters. Dangle some pics,with your "camera". Be VERY fhuqking careful however,if only for the obvious reason(s). Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING").

You Brokedick CLUELESS Fhuqktards are a HOOT! hint.

Bless your heart for Lying,Crying,Trying and Whining.

Hint. LAUGHING!....................

FFP Process:
1) Range
3) Dial / Hold
4) Shoot

SFP BDC Process:
1) Range
2) Make sure the scope is on the correct magnification setting
3) If the distance isn't a match for one of the dots, figure out where to hold between two dots
2) Hold
3) Shoot

Fixed wink

Before hitting the field, I'll figure out subtensions related to magnification and velocity. I then leave the scope on that magnification the whole day. In my case, it's a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 with a Rapid-Z Varmint reticle. DOPE matches subtensions at 12.5x. I have the option of dialing too.
You made my point Stick so eloquently. You're looking up DOPE on a label to make a shot. There's no looking up DOPE once magnification is set with a SFP. Ranging done with a Sig Kilo 2000.

ETA Wares:
Remington 700 .223 - factory tube, Trigger Tech Special, Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50
Borden Alpine, McM Rem Varmint, Shilen trigger, Rock 5r 8T .223AI, Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50

I'm not advocating BDC for all things. For a dog field, it works well.

Before hitting the field, I'll figure out subtensions related to magnification and velocity. I then leave the scope on that magnification the whole day. In my case, it's a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 with a Rapid-Z Varmint reticle. DOPE matches subtensions at 12.5x. I have the option of dialing too.

You still have to interpolate elevation and figure out what to do about the wind.

You still have to interpolate elevation and figure out what to do about the wind.

Elevation is figured. Wind may need to be dialed based on speed.

I'm MORE than happy to dispense slack on the rope and watch you Day Dreaming Delusional Fhuqktards writhe on same...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Simply "correlate" as per your "knowledge","experience" and "results",this mainstay Pasture Recipe. A 50gr V-Max at 3750fps. Work your Imaginary Pretend Zeiss SFP "Magic" and simply corroborate connections,on that HILARIOUS Goat Fhuqk of a Bullet Steering Device. HINT.

Simply cite the magnification and "explain" how "well" it "works",at both the beginning and ending range. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Yet again,be VERY fhuqking careful. Hint.

Bless your crossed-eyes,Retardation,Palsy and Parking permit.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!......................
Who said anything about a 50 gr V-MAX? That's your imagination jumping to conclusions as seen in every post.
Getting ready to go to Wyoming for some prairie dog shooting and coyote hunting. Prairie dog rifle will be wearing a 10 power SWFA SS. Will be using Sticks method for most of the longer shots. The problem that arises is that sometimes it is hard to get a rangefinder to give good readings on light colored soil, light colored targets in bright sunlight and on flat ground. Sometimes it is easier to range with the marks on the reticle.

Due your Day Dreaming Description of said system,why would something as simplistic as an individual projectile matter? Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Less a chambering cited,let alone a projectile or it's speed,your Dumbfhuqktitude stated: ("You made my point Stick so eloquently. You're looking up DOPE on a label to make a shot. There's no looking up DOPE once magnification is set with a SFP. Ranging done with a Sig Kilo 2000."). HINT.

In retrospect I stated plainly:

"Describe "your" rangefinder,you Brokedick Day Dreaming Delusonal Fhuqktard. Hint.

If only yet again...("Do tell about the Dog Schit wares you "have" and which steer your crossed-eyes to such rampant fhuqking STUPIDITY. Spare NO particulars,mainly because it will be funnier than fhuqk. Cite "your" receiver,barrel(make,twist,freebore),stock,trigger,mounts,optics(Make/Model),projectile,COAL latitude,velocity and atmosphere if only for starters. Dangle some pics,with your "camera". Be VERY fhuqking careful however,if only for the obvious reason(s)". HINT.

Conversly,the same extrapolated to FFP/Mil,offers the following and beyond the 1000yd line(if only to punch yourself in your own face). HINT. Laughing!

I simply stated for you to: "Simply cite the magnification and "explain" how "well" it "works",at both the beginning and ending range. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Yet again,be VERY fhuqking careful. Hint."

Feel FREE to choose any cartridge/projectile combo,that "swoons" your "heralded" SFP Zeiss Zoom Ratio "MAGIC" and rest assured,I'll be here to rub your nose,in your very own Fhuqking STUPIDITY. Hint. Laughing!

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!......................
Damn it Stick he might not know that the visible distance between the marks changes on a SFP scope when you change magnification. That and he is shooting a 223, if there is much wind at all those prairie dogs are going to be pretty safe no matter how he plays with his scope out past 300 yards.

Elevation is figured. Wind may need to be dialed based on speed.

Point being, your reticle doesn't have a provision for 432 or 583 yards, so you're either interpolating/guessing on the hold, or you have to change magnification and reference some DOPE card made specifically for the purpose of using magnification to align the dots with various target distances.
I'd never even consider dialing for a shot on colony varmints. So quick to hold and once I've got ranges figured for each mound they're hanging out on, holds are simply a matter of how much wind to hold.

Things would have to be very slow to range and dial each shot unless I was specifically targeting dogs way out.
I'd never even consider dialing for a shot on colony varmints. So quick to hold and once I've got ranges figured for each mound they're hanging out on, holds are simply a matter of how much wind to hold.

Things would have to be very slow to range and dial each shot unless I was specifically targeting dogs way out.

A mixture of both dialing and holding works well, depending on the situation. Once you've got the range of each mound figured, dialing elevation is very quick as well and allows more accurate wind holds with anything short of a HORUS-style reticle.
Where Did The Lying Piece Of Fhuqking CLUELESS Schit,

Go?

The poor poor(literally) STUPID Fhuqk.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

Big Stick, I don’t think you’ve ever commented on this that I’ve seen, but..is there ANY 1” scope, if you had to pick one, you’d go to for quality, solid internals to hold zero, but not weigh as much as a smoke ham? Not necessarily to dial data but one that could be for mostly short range (to 500 yards) hunting?

Don’t mean to hijack the thread, but in the context of the good 30 mm options mentioned, is there a 1” option even if doesn’t meet all of my qualifiers?

Appreciate it.

A mixture of both dialing and holding works well, depending on the situation. Once you've got the range of each mound figured, dialing elevation is very quick as well and allows more accurate wind holds with anything short of a HORUS-style reticle.

This is my point. You're not going to shoot a slow twist .223 1K yards. Our longest hit was 686 yds (with a 12 twist) .223. That was with dialing. You run out of comeups unless running a 20MOA base. Most of our shots were 150-450 yards. A BDC style reticle is quicker for this range as opposed to turrets. Use the Zeiss ballistic app, correlate known velocity via LabRadar to determine magnification (hence drop).

With that, I'm bowing out. Stick, you feel free to continue on with your vernacular. I'm done on this thread. I'm hope you find inner peace.
DumbFhuqk,

You were NEVER "in". Hint.

"I simply stated for you to: "Simply cite the magnification and "explain" how "well" it "works",at both the beginning and ending range. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Yet again,be VERY fhuqking careful. Hint."

Feel FREE to choose any cartridge/projectile combo,that "swoons" your "heralded" SFP Zeiss Zoom Ratio "MAGIC" and rest assured,I'll be here to rub your nose,in your very own Fhuqking STUPIDITY. Hint. Laughing!

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!......................''

You REALLY came close!

Hint.

LAUGHING!............

This is my point. You're not going to shoot a slow twist .223 1K yards. Our longest hit was 686 yds (with a 12 twist) .223. That was with dialing. You run out of comeups unless running a 20MOA base. Most of our shots were 150-450 yards. A BDC style reticle is quicker for this range as opposed to turrets. Use the Zeiss ballistic app, correlate known velocity via LabRadar to determine magnification (hence drop).

With that, I'm bowing out. Stick, you feel free to continue on with your vernacular. I'm done on this thread. I'm hope you find inner peace.

DUMB Fhuqk,

"Tell"me "more". Hint. LAUGHING!

1-12" 223AI DOPE. Hint.

It just "happens" to correlate nicely,less even touching a turret. Less than 25% of the erector is incorporated,to get to 1000yds,despite the Transonic Slip being less than. At (5) Mi's per erector revolution,it's sub (2) revolutions to 1000yards(10 Mil's),which is but a TINY portion of the mechanics available(40 Mil's/8 revolutions). 10MPH wind factored along the way and only 4.4 Mil's at 1K. Google same. Hint.

Rest assured,you were DONE,long before you "started". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Most of our shots were 150-450 yards. A BDC style reticle is quicker for this range as opposed to turrets. Use the Zeiss ballistic app, correlate known velocity via LabRadar to determine magnification (hence drop).

With that, I'm bowing out.

Sounds like Dev has signed out of this thread, but are others shooting 'varmints' at medium range with a BDC? Is so, what size targets and how far?

I know that a BDC can work for big game out to 500 to 600 yards, but when I think about 'varmints' I am thinking much smaller targets. That seems problematic, for the reasons that Jordan mentioned.

When targets get small, at longer distance, I like to dial and hold wind with the horizontal wire. But I shoot sage rats with a 22LR, and many shots are standing and offhand so benched varmint shooting with high magnification ain't my thing. A 4x can do all I need when paired with a 22LR, at closerange.
In true CF fashion, the OP’s question has been derailed. He gave very detailed parameters:
17FB
25gr bullets
“Shots out to 300”

I am all for using quality components to dial for long-range accuracy; but within these specifications, it is simply not needed. PDs (especially wary ones) move a lot and give small windows for opportunity. The 17FB is crazy flat shooting for the first 3-400 yards, though the wind plays hell with it. For shots “out to 300,” the corrections are minimal. Within the OPs parameters, a BDC-style reticle is effective, though you probably won’t even be using the first sub-tension.

I am not a Leupold fan… I’m down to owning a couple. But I have one on my 17FB that I use on PDs, and it works great within the given parameters.
Facts were supplied upon a Silver Platter and Day Dreaming Drooling Dumbfhuqks,still can't connect a single fhuqking dot. Hint.

It is HILARIOUS,that you Fhuqktards have a SFP BDC Fascination,in non-lineal/archaeic "values". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

A simplistic MQ reticle if FAST like no other and will correct a .177" 25gr V-Max at a 3750fps Launch, to 1000yds plus,in a full value 10 MPH wind. If only for starters. Or 40 MPH at the 400yd line. Pardon the effectiveness of lineal angular graduations. Not only drop/drift,but of course movers,amongst other "tid bits".Hint.

Not that I don't enjoy the humor,of you gals doing your absolute very best! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
I have several dialing rigs on my varmint rifles and have never seen the need to dial on prairie dogs. Many times I don't even bring a RF. I would be surprised if most guys in this thread shoot more PD's than I.
Facts were supplied upon a Silver Platter and Day Dreaming Drooling Dumbfhuqks,still can't connect a single fhuqking dot. Hint.

It is HILARIOUS,that you Fhuqktards have a SFP BDC Fascination,in non-lineal/archaeic "values". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

A simplistic MQ reticle if FAST like no other and will correct a .177" 25gr V-Max at a 3750fps Launch, to 1000yds plus,in a full value 10 MPH wind. If only for starters. Or 40 MPH at the 400yd line. Pardon the effectiveness of lineal angular graduations. Not only drop/drift,but of course movers,amongst other "tid bits".Hint.

Not that I don't enjoy the humor,of you gals doing your absolute very best! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

LarryO, aka bacon throat!!! Nice forked horn!!! 😂😂😂
Originally Posted by ckat
In true CF fashion, the OP’s question has been derailed. He gave very detailed parameters:
17FB
25gr bullets
“Shots out to 300”

I am all for using quality components to dial for long-range accuracy; but within these specifications, it is simply not needed. PDs (especially wary ones) move a lot and give small windows for opportunity. The 17FB is crazy flat shooting for the first 3-400 yards, though the wind plays hell with it. For shots “out to 300,” the corrections are minimal. Within the OPs parameters, a BDC-style reticle is effective, though you probably won’t even be using the first sub-tension.

I am not a Leupold fan… I’m down to owning a couple. But I have one on my 17FB that I use on PDs, and it works great within the given parameters.

Thanks for that, ckat. Let me further define things. It will be VERY unusual for me to dial shooting a 17 Fireball due to the distance limitations of the caliber. I prefer to use a holdover reticle and have done so in the past.
For those who prefer to dial on distances at 300 yards mol, carry on.
The MilQuad reticle is simply awesome for what you are going to be doing.
As far as a good 1” scope for your 17FB, I have a lot of trigger time with the 10X tactical Bushnell. I’m shooting a 17FB with 20gr. Vmaxes at 4000 fps(Benchmark). Mount your scope as low as possible so you don’t miss the close ones. The 17FB is like killing dogs with a laser out to 300. Don’t expect dramatic gore factor, out past 200 they just kinda decide to take a nap - a dirt nap. Mounting 20 moa bases or 56 mm bells just flat out make the 17 FB make the frustrating because of the size of the target and the flatness of the cartridge.

I've got a Cabelas house brand, the Covenant on top of my Ruger 77/17.. 30mm tube and real clear glass...

it has an MOA reticle on it...

for killing sage rats in the yard, 1.5 acres, it sure does a job on them.. thinned the herd of them by killing 70 plus last summer....

scrambled up real well, and the hawks, crows and turkey buzzards took off with the dead ones real quick.

with a 100 yds, the bullet was pretty much hitting exactly where that target dot was pointed at.

$200 & under scope... 4 x 16, and they make a 6 x 25 also...
2 summers ago before my eye issues I shot 5650 rds. of centerfire at P-dogs with s high 70;s hit ratio. I don't stay home if the wind is blowing. I didn't keep track of the HMR rds. Last year I had to change to left handed, I shot just over 2000 rds. My hit percentage dropped 20+ points, I was also way slower finding the target in the scope. I use all 6.4x20's or 6x24's except on the HMR. All have hold over reticles. Shots to 450 yds. I do have a 6mm creed that I'm working on dialing with, longest kill 550. It wears a 4.5x30 bushnell tactical with mil dots.
Leica Geovids as I have them in my hands I range almost every shot. I have no interest in dialing for my average shots.
I shoot in the wind and enjoy the challenge
As others have stated the 17FB shoots pretty flat out to 300. I’ve shot p dogs with a couple of 17 Remingtons. One had a4-12leuplod and the other a 6.5-20. Neither had turrets as those rifles were shorter range rigs. I’ve been buying more zeiss scopes lately. I’d look at one of theirs with a 12-16x top end. I would also like a “side focus” if available and a pretty thin reticle (plex). Good luck and happy shooting.
I have several PD rifles. 12x is the highest power scope I have on any. It is not like you are going to have to find something half hidden by foliage. A 6x will do pretty well. A 17 fireball will shoot pretty flat I imagine, but windage you might want is extra vertical lines / crosshairs / bars.

I really like is windage and elevation bars. Especially at long ranges or robust wind. When the wind is crossways you will be able to hit pretty well if you use a line or two from center. Same with elevation If you're shooting at 500 yards give or take 75 yards. you'll want to have extra lines or bars to adjust your pint of aim.
It’s not a fireball, but my 17 Remington has a 4-20x50 sightron on it. I prefer to have more power available because like others have said, you can always turn it down. Every time we have gone p-dog hunting it was pretty cool outside (Memorial Day weekend) so mirage wasn’t terrible.
Any 3 to 12, 4 to 16x scope will do the job.
I shoot thousands of pdogs a year, my main scope is a Nikon 4 to 16x50 black, 30mm, moa reticle
95 % of all shots are at 12x and out to 500 yards.
Another is a Bushnell forge at 3 to 12x 50x, moa reticle.
Both have dial turrets and side focus.
Both track perfectly and I do tons if dialing up/ down shooting pdogs.
Thanks to all. There's a ton of good information here.
While power is a consideration an even larger one IMO is the quality of the optics. Spending hours behind a scope with inferior optics can cause eye strain and quickly turn what should be a fun time into a very tiring day. I do most of my PD/gopher shooting inside the 100-300 range and I use a Leupold VX-2, 6-18x40 and it is rare that I have it above 12x.

drover
Thanks to all. There's a ton of good information here.

I've shot 'dogs over a few decades and with lots of scopes......straight 12X, 15X and 16X plus variables from 4-12, 4-16, 6-18, 6.5-20, 6-24, 8-32 and 12-42.
It goes w/o being said that optical quality always comes before power. If you like to dial, that's a major factor also.
I would take a hard look at the Sightron S-Tac 4-20×50 with the MOA2 reticle. The reticle is perfect for both dialing and holding off, the tracking is dead reliable and the optics are very good.
I love mine.

Good shootin' -Al
After using the SWFA Milquad reticle, I doubt there is a better reticle system for what the OP is asking in his original question. From rimfires to high velocity centerfires, once you have your dope sheet, everything else is pretty darned intuitive.... I will have more of them soon if SWFA ever gets more stock on their site...
I shoot a lot of prairie dogs over the years and have tryed a lot of different scopes. Most of my go to rifles wear 6-18 leupolds
But in the end the scope always lands on 12 x. My pard is same
One 6-250 has a 24x same thing ends up at 12x
But we do slot of walking and use Turkey chair and shooting sticks.
If shooting from a bench nor power if hiking 10-12x would be all a guy needs. We do pretty well out to 300 mostly that’s normal range they don’t sho much any closer

I have 2 - 17MIV's. Both have 6-24 scopes. That little 17 works really well on a lot of different things. Groundsquirrels are a small target and 24x isn't too much. PD's can be a small target also when it's just the head sticking up......with power you can zoom right in on that eyeball that's checking you out. Same thing with rockchucks...an eye peering at you from the space between two rocks on a hillside. And that little 17 has no recoil or muzzle jump, so plenty of scope power can be used. Better to have power and only use it when you need it or want it, than to need it and wish for it but not have it.
Solid reasoning Ackman, thanks.
© 24hourcampfire