Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Higginez
I'd never even consider dialing for a shot on colony varmints. So quick to hold and once I've got ranges figured for each mound they're hanging out on, holds are simply a matter of how much wind to hold.

Things would have to be very slow to range and dial each shot unless I was specifically targeting dogs way out.

A mixture of both dialing and holding works well, depending on the situation. Once you've got the range of each mound figured, dialing elevation is very quick as well and allows more accurate wind holds with anything short of a HORUS-style reticle.

This is my point. You're not going to shoot a slow twist .223 1K yards. Our longest hit was 686 yds (with a 12 twist) .223. That was with dialing. You run out of comeups unless running a 20MOA base. Most of our shots were 150-450 yards. A BDC style reticle is quicker for this range as opposed to turrets. Use the Zeiss ballistic app, correlate known velocity via LabRadar to determine magnification (hence drop).

With that, I'm bowing out. Stick, you feel free to continue on with your vernacular. I'm done on this thread. I'm hope you find inner peace.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DumbFhuqk,

You were NEVER "in". Hint.

"I simply stated for you to: "Simply cite the magnification and "explain" how "well" it "works",at both the beginning and ending range. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Yet again,be VERY fhuqking careful. Hint."

Feel FREE to choose any cartridge/projectile combo,that "swoons" your "heralded" SFP Zeiss Zoom Ratio "MAGIC" and rest assured,I'll be here to rub your nose,in your very own Fhuqking STUPIDITY. Hint. Laughing!

Bless your crossed-eyes,Retardation,Palsy and Parking permit.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!......................''

You REALLY came close!

Hint.

LAUGHING!............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by devnull
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Higginez
I'd never even consider dialing for a shot on colony varmints. So quick to hold and once I've got ranges figured for each mound they're hanging out on, holds are simply a matter of how much wind to hold.

Things would have to be very slow to range and dial each shot unless I was specifically targeting dogs way out.

A mixture of both dialing and holding works well, depending on the situation. Once you've got the range of each mound figured, dialing elevation is very quick as well and allows more accurate wind holds with anything short of a HORUS-style reticle.

This is my point. You're not going to shoot a slow twist .223 1K yards. Our longest hit was 686 yds (with a 12 twist) .223. That was with dialing. You run out of comeups unless running a 20MOA base. Most of our shots were 150-450 yards. A BDC style reticle is quicker for this range as opposed to turrets. Use the Zeiss ballistic app, correlate known velocity via LabRadar to determine magnification (hence drop).

With that, I'm bowing out. Stick, you feel free to continue on with your vernacular. I'm done on this thread. I'm hope you find inner peace.

DUMB Fhuqk,

"Tell"me "more". Hint. LAUGHING!

1-12" 223AI DOPE. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

It just "happens" to correlate nicely,less even touching a turret. Less than 25% of the erector is incorporated,to get to 1000yds,despite the Transonic Slip being less than. At (5) Mi's per erector revolution,it's sub (2) revolutions to 1000yards(10 Mil's),which is but a TINY portion of the mechanics available(40 Mil's/8 revolutions). 10MPH wind factored along the way and only 4.4 Mil's at 1K. Google same. Hint.

Rest assured,you were DONE,long before you "started". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by devnull
Most of our shots were 150-450 yards. A BDC style reticle is quicker for this range as opposed to turrets. Use the Zeiss ballistic app, correlate known velocity via LabRadar to determine magnification (hence drop).

With that, I'm bowing out.

Sounds like Dev has signed out of this thread, but are others shooting 'varmints' at medium range with a BDC? Is so, what size targets and how far?

I know that a BDC can work for big game out to 500 to 600 yards, but when I think about 'varmints' I am thinking much smaller targets. That seems problematic, for the reasons that Jordan mentioned.

When targets get small, at longer distance, I like to dial and hold wind with the horizontal wire. But I shoot sage rats with a 22LR, and many shots are standing and offhand so benched varmint shooting with high magnification ain't my thing. A 4x can do all I need when paired with a 22LR, at closerange.

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/08/21.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In true CF fashion, the OP’s question has been derailed. He gave very detailed parameters:
17FB
25gr bullets
“Shots out to 300”

I am all for using quality components to dial for long-range accuracy; but within these specifications, it is simply not needed. PDs (especially wary ones) move a lot and give small windows for opportunity. The 17FB is crazy flat shooting for the first 3-400 yards, though the wind plays hell with it. For shots “out to 300,” the corrections are minimal. Within the OPs parameters, a BDC-style reticle is effective, though you probably won’t even be using the first sub-tension.

I am not a Leupold fan… I’m down to owning a couple. But I have one on my 17FB that I use on PDs, and it works great within the given parameters.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Facts were supplied upon a Silver Platter and Day Dreaming Drooling Dumbfhuqks,still can't connect a single fhuqking dot. Hint.

It is HILARIOUS,that you Fhuqktards have a SFP BDC Fascination,in non-lineal/archaeic "values". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

A simplistic MQ reticle if FAST like no other and will correct a .177" 25gr V-Max at a 3750fps Launch, to 1000yds plus,in a full value 10 MPH wind. If only for starters. Or 40 MPH at the 400yd line. Pardon the effectiveness of lineal angular graduations. Not only drop/drift,but of course movers,amongst other "tid bits".Hint.

Not that I don't enjoy the humor,of you gals doing your absolute very best! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have several dialing rigs on my varmint rifles and have never seen the need to dial on prairie dogs. Many times I don't even bring a RF. I would be surprised if most guys in this thread shoot more PD's than I.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Facts were supplied upon a Silver Platter and Day Dreaming Drooling Dumbfhuqks,still can't connect a single fhuqking dot. Hint.

It is HILARIOUS,that you Fhuqktards have a SFP BDC Fascination,in non-lineal/archaeic "values". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

A simplistic MQ reticle if FAST like no other and will correct a .177" 25gr V-Max at a 3750fps Launch, to 1000yds plus,in a full value 10 MPH wind. If only for starters. Or 40 MPH at the 400yd line. Pardon the effectiveness of lineal angular graduations. Not only drop/drift,but of course movers,amongst other "tid bits".Hint.

Not that I don't enjoy the humor,of you gals doing your absolute very best! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

LarryO, aka bacon throat!!! Nice forked horn!!! 😂😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ckat
In true CF fashion, the OP’s question has been derailed. He gave very detailed parameters:
17FB
25gr bullets
“Shots out to 300”

I am all for using quality components to dial for long-range accuracy; but within these specifications, it is simply not needed. PDs (especially wary ones) move a lot and give small windows for opportunity. The 17FB is crazy flat shooting for the first 3-400 yards, though the wind plays hell with it. For shots “out to 300,” the corrections are minimal. Within the OPs parameters, a BDC-style reticle is effective, though you probably won’t even be using the first sub-tension.

I am not a Leupold fan… I’m down to owning a couple. But I have one on my 17FB that I use on PDs, and it works great within the given parameters.

Thanks for that, ckat. Let me further define things. It will be VERY unusual for me to dial shooting a 17 Fireball due to the distance limitations of the caliber. I prefer to use a holdover reticle and have done so in the past.
For those who prefer to dial on distances at 300 yards mol, carry on.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
The MilQuad reticle is simply awesome for what you are going to be doing.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
As far as a good 1” scope for your 17FB, I have a lot of trigger time with the 10X tactical Bushnell. I’m shooting a 17FB with 20gr. Vmaxes at 4000 fps(Benchmark). Mount your scope as low as possible so you don’t miss the close ones. The 17FB is like killing dogs with a laser out to 300. Don’t expect dramatic gore factor, out past 200 they just kinda decide to take a nap - a dirt nap. Mounting 20 moa bases or 56 mm bells just flat out make the 17 FB make the frustrating because of the size of the target and the flatness of the cartridge.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Looking for ideas for scoping a 17 Fireball. Shots out to 300 yards with 25 grain V-MAX and HP pills. I want plenty of power and it can be a 1" or 30MM. Give me some ideas.

I've got a Cabelas house brand, the Covenant on top of my Ruger 77/17.. 30mm tube and real clear glass...

it has an MOA reticle on it...

for killing sage rats in the yard, 1.5 acres, it sure does a job on them.. thinned the herd of them by killing 70 plus last summer....

scrambled up real well, and the hawks, crows and turkey buzzards took off with the dead ones real quick.

with a 100 yds, the bullet was pretty much hitting exactly where that target dot was pointed at.

$200 & under scope... 4 x 16, and they make a 6 x 25 also...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
2 summers ago before my eye issues I shot 5650 rds. of centerfire at P-dogs with s high 70;s hit ratio. I don't stay home if the wind is blowing. I didn't keep track of the HMR rds. Last year I had to change to left handed, I shot just over 2000 rds. My hit percentage dropped 20+ points, I was also way slower finding the target in the scope. I use all 6.4x20's or 6x24's except on the HMR. All have hold over reticles. Shots to 450 yds. I do have a 6mm creed that I'm working on dialing with, longest kill 550. It wears a 4.5x30 bushnell tactical with mil dots.
Leica Geovids as I have them in my hands I range almost every shot. I have no interest in dialing for my average shots.
I shoot in the wind and enjoy the challenge

Last edited by boatammo; 06/14/21.

MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
As others have stated the 17FB shoots pretty flat out to 300. I’ve shot p dogs with a couple of 17 Remingtons. One had a4-12leuplod and the other a 6.5-20. Neither had turrets as those rifles were shorter range rigs. I’ve been buying more zeiss scopes lately. I’d look at one of theirs with a 12-16x top end. I would also like a “side focus” if available and a pretty thin reticle (plex). Good luck and happy shooting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have several PD rifles. 12x is the highest power scope I have on any. It is not like you are going to have to find something half hidden by foliage. A 6x will do pretty well. A 17 fireball will shoot pretty flat I imagine, but windage you might want is extra vertical lines / crosshairs / bars.

I really like is windage and elevation bars. Especially at long ranges or robust wind. When the wind is crossways you will be able to hit pretty well if you use a line or two from center. Same with elevation If you're shooting at 500 yards give or take 75 yards. you'll want to have extra lines or bars to adjust your pint of aim.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It’s not a fireball, but my 17 Remington has a 4-20x50 sightron on it. I prefer to have more power available because like others have said, you can always turn it down. Every time we have gone p-dog hunting it was pretty cool outside (Memorial Day weekend) so mirage wasn’t terrible.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any 3 to 12, 4 to 16x scope will do the job.
I shoot thousands of pdogs a year, my main scope is a Nikon 4 to 16x50 black, 30mm, moa reticle
95 % of all shots are at 12x and out to 500 yards.
Another is a Bushnell forge at 3 to 12x 50x, moa reticle.
Both have dial turrets and side focus.
Both track perfectly and I do tons if dialing up/ down shooting pdogs.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks to all. There's a ton of good information here.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
While power is a consideration an even larger one IMO is the quality of the optics. Spending hours behind a scope with inferior optics can cause eye strain and quickly turn what should be a fun time into a very tiring day. I do most of my PD/gopher shooting inside the 100-300 range and I use a Leupold VX-2, 6-18x40 and it is rare that I have it above 12x.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Thanks to all. There's a ton of good information here.

I've shot 'dogs over a few decades and with lots of scopes......straight 12X, 15X and 16X plus variables from 4-12, 4-16, 6-18, 6.5-20, 6-24, 8-32 and 12-42.
It goes w/o being said that optical quality always comes before power. If you like to dial, that's a major factor also.
I would take a hard look at the Sightron S-Tac 4-20×50 with the MOA2 reticle. The reticle is perfect for both dialing and holding off, the tracking is dead reliable and the optics are very good.
I love mine.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1badf350, 260madman, 25aught6, 2500HD, 270cowboy, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,947
Posts18,519,172
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.