Home
Posted By: jhr1986 Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/23/17
I'm looking at scope options for a new 7mm-08; my original thought was to go with a VX3i 3.5-10x40 but all the negative comments about Leupold lately have me rethinking my decision. I'm now considering a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 which I know is a solid choice but more than twice the price of the Leupold I was planning on.

Are there any other scopes I should be looking at? I want to stay in that size range (magnification, objective, weight). I've considered the Vortex HD LH as well although it is a few ounces heavier; I have several vortex scopes (diamondback to razor, all good values imo) but would kind of like to try another brand.
According to the campfire's resident expert there are NO hunting scopes currently on the market that will reliably hold zero, track or return to zero. If you want a scope that will, you'll have to buy a big, heavy, tactical scope with a reticle that looks like some punk scratched graffiti all over your objective lens.
Others may disagree but I don't see the Swaro as being any more durable than the Leupold. I own a Vortex HD LH and glass is great but adjustments are extremely mushy and I'm having doubts about how well they stay in place. If you want durability there's no way around increasing weight as it is the heavier internals that make the scope durable.

Just for set it and forget it Meopta may be a good option.Even the Burris Fullfield has been mentioned as being fairly good for a set it and forget it scope. If you want to dial adjustments in ranging SWFA or Bushnell LRHS on a budget or Nightforce if you have the funds.
There are many great options available in various price categories in a 3-10 size scope.
Meopta, Swarovski, Hawke, Athlon, Leupold (even though they have had the crap kicked out of them lately here on the playground they do make a good quality product) and others.
Please feel free to give us a call and we will do our best to hook you up.
Merry Christmas
Yep. Apparently, the only scopes that work are those preferred by tacti-cool mall ninjas who live in their parents’ basements and play video games. If it doesn’t have a tactic-cool name like “NIGHTFORCE” or “SUPER SNIPER” it will not work in the woods or on the plains or in the bushveldt.
Posted By: myYukon Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/23/17
some alternatives are Zeiss, Leupold vx-r, and if pn the budget the best is Leica. Stay away from non-lens company, but Leupold is ok.
Cabelas is heavily discounting they're branded Meopta. I'd consider that if you're looking for other options. Unlike some, I've been very happy with my Nikon Monarchs. I've probably purchased my last Leupold VX3 series scopes.
Burris E1 - either Ballistic Plex or Burris Plex.
Sightron SII 3-9x42......... half the price, twice the scope(they work). Lifetime warranty......
Originally Posted by elkaddict
Cabelas is heavily discounting they're branded Meopta. I'd consider that if you're looking for other options. Unlike some, I've been very happy with my Nikon Monarchs. I've probably purchased my last Leupold VX3 series scopes.

I ordered one of those recently. I have yet to put it through its paces. The optical quality is good. Right there with my VX-3s.
I just bought a Hawke Endurance. Glass is pretty decent, tube is a little short for some mounting systems. Haven't shot it yet but it's not a turret scope so it is a sight it in and forget it scope.
Originally Posted by myYukon
the best is Leica. Stay away from non-lens company, but Leupold is ok.

Who do you consider "non-lens company" ?
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/23/17
Originally Posted by Blackheart
According to the campfire's resident expert there are NO hunting scopes currently on the market that will reliably hold zero, track or return to zero. If you want a scope that will, you'll have to buy a big, heavy, tactical scope with a reticle that looks like some punk scratched graffiti all over your objective lens.

Pretty funny! But there's a germ of truth there. A lot of hunters, including me, don't want a large bulky scope that weighs 24 oz or so on their hunting rifles. If you are a dedicated dial twister maybe a large heavy scope is the best way to go, but for most of us, set and forget scopes handle hunting needs well and I do like multi-point reticles so that I have real aiming points for longer shots.

I have a bunch of Leupolds that have served me well and I'm still using them successfully. However, I've been branching out to try some other brands as well. I've had good luck with Burris Fullfield II's and also with Weaver V16's on my rimfires. I even have an SWFA 10X on a precision AR-15 which I like. So it depends on what the rifle will be used for. But I'm not throwing out the babies with the bathwater yet.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/23/17
Meopta/Zeiss!
My Bushnell Elites have been solid performers. I own more of them than any other scope.

Dan
I have an extra Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50 , let me know if interested.
I bought it because it was next to cash register :-)
I have 2 tracts and so far hold zero return to zero and tract fine. Give them a look my turion has great glass for the price.
I have 4 varixII/VXII's on my hunting rifles, solid scopes in my experience from .243-.338WM. I also a couple bushnell AR optics, and a SS 10x on a 50 BMG. The only bad scopes I've had were cheap ones I bought for .22's.

Cabelas has some ziess conquest's on closeout for almost 50% off. If they had exposed elevation knobs I'd own one.
Meopro is the one that got me to switch from the VX3.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Cabela's has some ziess conquest's on closeout for almost 50% off. If they had exposed elevation knobs I'd own one.

Very interesting that Cabela’s has some old Conquest scopes available. Meopta hasn’t made those in several years and Zeiss now markets a Chinese POS called the Terra as the Conquest’s replacement. I hear that’s on the way out, too.

I will say the Meopta-built old Conquest is way better than the newer Chinese Terra crap. If you have a chance to get one of these long-discontinued Conquests at the old price, it still blows any Leupold out of the water.

Better yet, get a real Zeiss like a Duralyt or HD5 or HD6.

Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Cabela's has some ziess conquest's on closeout for almost 50% off. If they had exposed elevation knobs I'd own one.

Very interesting that Cabela’s has some old Conquest scopes available. Meopta hasn’t made those in several years and Zeiss now markets a Chinese POS called the Terra as the Conquest’s replacement.

The don't have any old Conquests. The scopes on sale are of the HD5 series. Also, the Terra is not made in China. That's a rumor that has been floating around for a while. The Terra scopes are assembled in Japan.
Posted By: OdT Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/24/17

Truth
Posted By: Judman Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/24/17
This has me ready to retire!!! I’m scared to hunt anymore!!! All I have is leupold glass!!!
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/24/17
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek

Very interesting that Cabela’s has some old Conquest scopes available. Meopta hasn’t made those in several years and Zeiss now markets a Chinese POS called the Terra as the Conquest’s replacement.

The don't have any old Conquests. The scopes on sale are of the HD5 series. Also, the Terra is not made in China. That's a rumor that has been floating around for a while. The Terra scopes are assembled in Japan.

The Zeiss Terra rifle scopes are made in Japan, the Terra binos are made in China
Originally Posted by Judman
This has me ready to retire!!! I’m scared to hunt anymore!!! All I have is leupold glass!!!

You can always give up. Lol
Originally Posted by OdT

Or just keep “luckily” killin stuff!!! But my days are numbered obviously!!! Grin
Originally Posted by OdT

Or just keep “luckily” killin stuff!!! But my days are numbered obviously!!! Grin

Unpossible! You need more expensive gear to do that today. Read all about it, right here.
Oh DT, you know better than that!!! Grin
Oh DT, you know better than that!!! Grin

Haha! Equipment junkies are the worst junkies. They always need better junk
Or different junk.
I'm there too!
Merry Christmas.
I'd put a Sightron SII Big Sky beside a VX3. I can't tell any difference between a 3.5-10 Leupold and a 3-12 Sightron.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/24/17
Yep. Apparently, the only scopes that work are those preferred by tacti-cool mall ninjas who live in their parents’ basements and play video games. If it doesn’t have a tactic-cool name like “NIGHTFORCE” or “SUPER SNIPER” it will not work in the woods or on the plains or in the bushveldt.

to the original poster, the NF SHV 3-10 x 42 with a forceplex reticle is a 20 ounce device, while the Leupold 3xi 3.5-10 x 42 is a 13.5 ounce device, wonder why the extra weight?. There is a lot of misplaced emotion out there regards hunting optics however people who are objective understand the logic behind an aiming device that simply does what its supposed to do without hiccups. I have broken Kahles, Zeiss, Leupold, and one 1-4 SWFA scope. I have chased my tail trying to sight a rifle in and questioned my sanity trying everything to figure out "why I or the rifle" did not shoot or could not shoot. Now that I own 3 rifle scopes that are simply right, I am educated as to what "right" is and why I don't want to guess or hunt with something I lack confidence in. Of all the rifle scopes that I have broken, Leupold is the only brand that has broken on its own (4), and (sold one mdl 7 308 with one on it because it would not shoot) without me dropping it.

Remember where there is smoke then there is probably fire, don't let anyone that "does not know what they don't know" talk you into wasting your money. I need a new scope for a deer rifle and am going to put a 20 ounce SHV on a Kimber Montana next year. Why "guess" and lose confidence in your skills or your rifle when you can be sure for $800.00
Posted By: 163bc Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/24/17
I must just be lucky but I've used Leupold scopes all over the world including dangerous game many times. Leupold has never, not once let me down. I've used Swarovski & Zeiss as well but for the $$ and flat out durability Leupold is tough to beat.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/24/17
I have a vx3 and really like it though the adjustments could be firmer. It is a damn fine scope and not a vx3i. I don't know how cheaper scope scan have such solid clicks and more expensive ones be mushy but I see it all the time. I have a mushy Burris too- love both but the clicks can't compare to my Meopta. I had a Sightron S2 3-12, hated it and wasn't alone . Worst eye relief ever- but it wasn't a Big Sky so I can't comment on those models. I do think the problem was inherit in that one particular model and not across the board with Sightron. Would love a Tract and I think a Tekoa which is second tier would be comparable although now with the addition of new lines are about as confusing as Leupolds ..

But when you can get a Meopta Meopro 3-9x40 for $349 it sort of makes it a no brainer for me as a recommendation within this price point. I didn't list the seller because they aren't a sponsor but have bought from them before and was pleased.
The SHV with a Forceplex pretty much ticks all the boxes for me with only a slight weight penalty. The price is in line with the quality. Not in the market now, but if and when I am due to failures, new acquisitions, or itchy feet, that's how I plan to go, if resources allow. If money's tight, I'll give a FFII a shot as a set 'n forget.
Best as I can figure, the Tekoa is cheaper than the Torics because it's a 4x variable and lacks ED glass. So far, so good with mine, and I was very pleased with the view in the woods the other day in some pretty gloomy weather, right up until dark. It is pretty heavy for a 1" scope, and pretty large. Once I work up a suitably accurate load for the rifle it's on now, I'll check the tracking again just for grins, but as long as it stays put once adjusted, I'll be happy.
I put a VX II 2-7 x 40 on my Ruger No. 1 6mm in 1986, despite being hauled hundreds of miles on 3 and. 4 wheelers, it's still dead on at 100 yards and I haven't taken the caps off the turrets since I mounted it.
Posted By: Motown Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/24/17
Im consodering the Tract Turion myself. Looks to still have the Schott Glass but a wire reticle instead of the etched that the Tekoa has. Also weighs 15oz in the 3-9 which makes them a bit more comparable to the VX3i and Meopta in weight.

I also saw the Meopta on sale for $349 and thats really hard to pass up as well. So many options and too little money!
Originally Posted by OdT
Truth
Quality scopes should also have badass, extreme names; i.e. "Razor," "Diamondback," "Super Sniper," "Strike Eagle," "Whiskey," etc. And badass, extreme logos to put on your pickup and copy into a tattoo on your bicep or neck. And the tube diameter MUST be metric. Extreme badasses NEVER talk inches.
Posted By: N2TRKYS Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/24/17
Originally Posted by jhr1986
I'm looking at scope options for a new 7mm-08; my original thought was to go with a VX3i 3.5-10x40 but all the negative comments about Leupold lately have me rethinking my decision. I'm now considering a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 which I know is a solid choice but more than twice the price of the Leupold I was planning on.

Are there any other scopes I should be looking at? I want to stay in that size range (magnification, objective, weight). I've considered the Vortex HD LH as well although it is a few ounces heavier; I have several vortex scopes (diamondback to razor, all good values imo) but would kind of like to try another brand.

I put a VX3I 3.5-10x40 on a new Remington Model Seven SS 7-08. I guess I'm screwed on both accounts, according to the internet. Lol. However, the rifle groups very well and I doubt I'll have scope problems.

Fingers crossed.
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
Originally Posted by OdT
Truth
Quality scopes should also have badass, extreme names; i.e. "Razor," "Diamondback," "Super Sniper," "Strike Eagle," "Whiskey," etc. And badass, extreme logos to put on your pickup and copy into a tattoo on your bicep or neck. And the tube diameter MUST be metric. Extreme badasses NEVER talk inches.

More truth
I own the tract turion and meopta meorpo in 3-9x40 and the leupold vx3I in 3.5 -10x40 all sem to be good scopes. I like the glass best on the tract the eye box is a little lacking but eye relief is fine. The meopta and leupold are very similar in glass to my eyes. The leupold has the best eye relief and eye box hands down. All three have tracked correctly so far and hold zero fine. I have a custom dial on the turion on a 1" model 70 in 270 wsm. So far I have dialed to 3 and 5 hundred yards and returned to zero right where i started. Hopefully this holds up. Ps the turret is capped to which I love. You won't be dissapointed with any of them.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/24/17
SHV and NXS seem to be pretty bland names for those who hate marketing. I have a bunch of 1 inch scopes, all have been back to the factory including a Zeiss Victory HT 1.5-6 x 43, QD swivel popped out (my fault) and it hit the tree stand. I am no fan of vortex or sig scopes, the swfa 1-4's now made in the Philippines are questionable in my mind, after the tract drop tests I am not convinced regards their durability, so your kind of in a jam unless you want to try a fixed 6x or 4x. I have heard the SB scopes hold zero well but are not great for dialing, but I have never owned one. I just got a trijicon 1-8 x 28 a 34 mm tube that is amazing, I ran the turrets just up and down a few times and fired and there it was right where it was supposed to be. Good luck.
Posted By: hanco Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/25/17
I have 5 or 6 old Redfield scopes, but a bunch of Leupolds. I’m in a heap of trouble from what I read about my Leupolds
Posted By: Judman Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/25/17
Originally Posted by hanco
I have 5 or 6 old Redfield scopes, but a bunch of Leupolds. I’m in a heap of trouble from what I read about my Leupolds

Ya me too. You’ve been warned, you should probably just hang it up now!!! Grin
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a rifle here for repair right now with a broken stock. The owner dropped it 18 feet out of a treestand on opening morning of deer season. He climbed down, took it back up and killed a deer with it an hour later. It wears an old Denver Redfield widefield. So much for the optics "experts" and their "no scope but an SWFA or high end tactical will hold zero" bullshyt.
Posted By: skeen Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/25/17
Originally Posted by jhr1986

I'd run with the Leupold VX-3i. Yes, there's a lot of forum banter but dollar for value, they are still the best bang for the buck, in my opinion.

For every negative forum comment here, there's thousands of satisfied Leupold users- heck, make that tens of thousands.

That being said, I also have a couple of Swaros and think they're a great scope, for the money, too.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/25/17
the older Leupold are not as bad as the new ones. However many people don’t shoot enough to know the difference between a Leupold and a NF anyway, so I guess the point is moot.
Posted By: IMR4350 Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/25/17
I've had a fixed 2.5x Leopold mounted on a 45-70 since 1993. I started to notice that the sight picture was not as clear as it used to be. Adjusting the focusing ring did not help so I sent it back to Leupold for a check up.
I just got the scope back last week and it seems better. They replaced the eyepiece assembly, replaced the erector spring, and reworked the erector system. After taking a pounding from a 45-70 for over 20 years I guess it was time for a tune up.

I've had a 3-9x30mm Leupold Compact mounted on my 30-06 since the beginning of time and still no problems. Both of these scopes are in good mounts and have always held a zero.

About 6 months ago I bought a new VXII for my Rem 700 in .223. So far so good on that one. I guess I must be lucky.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
the older Leupold are not as bad as the new ones. However many people don’t shoot enough to know the difference between a Leupold and a NF anyway, so I guess the point is moot.
If Leupold would just change the name to VERY EXTREME 3D and start an ad campaign full of tattooed MMA freaks carrying Leupold products and wearing Leupold swag and SO MUCH EXTREMENESS.
Posted By: OdT Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/25/17
I shot around 30 rounds this morning. The wind was cold as a witches tit. My sons and I swapped seats in the truck between shooting. None of us could feel the damn triggers. The Leupold (mine) still managed a 3/4” group. Not feeling the mass exodus so much. The things just work as intended.

Granted there was no dialing. Maybe it’ll break while sitting out in the shop?
Haha
Derrick, there are some real hard chargers around here... beware!! Haha
Posted By: OdT Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/25/17
Derrick, there are some real hard chargers around here... beware!! Haha

Lol, I’m treading lightly man, I swear it!
About 6 months ago I bought a new VXII for my Rem 700 in .223.

Oh, now you are really asking for trouble. A Leupold on a Remington 700!

You'll probably lose the bolt handle before the recoil of that .223 craps the scope out.......(grin)
Posted By: IMR4350 Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/25/17
That explains why I have not been able to sleep at night.
Speaking of holding zero, I gotta laugh, the boys savage 93 22 Mag, Simmons 22 Mag scope, 4 year old set up lives in the back of a xtra cab Toyota Tacoma. Also finds itself in a logging crewbus, killed piles of Schitt, never needs adjusting....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Never been in a case, never has cleaned the barrel, and it’s dead nuts.... grin
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

You'll probably lose the bolt handle before the recoil of that .223 craps the scope out.......(grin)

Bolt handles falling off??? Never seen it on a Remington, guy at work had one fall off a Tikka this year though...
Posted By: Motown Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/25/17

Bolt handles falling off??? Never seen it on a Remington, guy at work had one fall off a Tikka this year though...

[quote=Vic_in_Va][quote]About 6 months ago I bought a new VXII for my Rem 700 in .223.

Oh man now Im screwed! I have a T3X with a 3.5-10 VX3i mounted in Talley LW’s!

So after my scope stops tracking, my bolt handle falls off and my rings crack I’m gonna need a new setup!!
Haha god damn how did they get by 50 years ago???? Grin
Around here 50 years ago alot of folks used something called iron sights. Killed alot of stuff with them too. Back when I was young I couldn't understand why anybody'd need a scope to kill a great big critter like a deer.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/25/17
I used an old K4 Weaver initially. Thought I was big time. Then I bought my first "long range" rifle. A M70 270. Mounted a M8 6X on it. Almost too much for deer hunting. Don't know exactly when I got the first 3-9. 9X was reserved for extreme emergencies,or woodchuck. From there it went down hill fast. All the way up to 36 and 40X br scopes. After using them for a summer,I flat couldn't see chit at 6X. They do indeed become crutches. I swear if Id never went beyond 6X,I'd have been just as happy and successful. Save the bench rest game. Still have that old M8. It's been on dozens of rifles. Still tracks and holds zero. Wish I had a dozen of them.

Bolt handles ,falling off??? Never seen it on a Remington, guy at work had one fall off a Tikka this year though...

Yea, there was a spate of, and a lot of talk about, Remington bolt handles coming off at one time.

I'm really in for it, myself. I have a mid-70s Remington M700 ADL in .243. I have a Pac Nor .308 barrel on the way, and have the rest of the stuff here. Timney #510 trigger, Grayboe Outlander stock, bottom metal......and a Leupold..........

If the bolt handle comes off, I'll just send it to Redneck for a bolt-on conversion, may do it in the off season anyway.

I hadn't heard anything about Tikka.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/25/17
the sockpuppets are out in droves this morning...Merry Christmas!
Posted By: 65BR Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/25/17
[

[/quote]

You should post a pic of that
Posted By: hanco Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/25/17
I have 6 or 8 Rem 700’s. I tried to break them off, I couldn’t.
Posted By: Judman Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/26/17
That’s about all we’ve ran, me for 30 years, my old man for way longer, I’ve yet to see it...
Originally Posted by Otter6
I used an old K4 Weaver initially. Thought I was big time. Then I bought my first "long range" rifle. A M70 270. Mounted a M8 6X on it. Almost too much for deer hunting. Don't know exactly when I got the first 3-9. 9X was reserved for extreme emergencies,or woodchuck. From there it went down hill fast. All the way up to 36 and 40X br scopes. After using them for a summer,I flat couldn't see chit at 6X. They do indeed become crutches. I swear if Id never went beyond 6X,I'd have been just as happy and successful. Save the bench rest game. Still have that old M8. It's been on dozens of rifles. Still tracks and holds zero. Wish I had a dozen of them.

How many MOA per revolution on a perfect tracking M8? I would be interested to know.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 12/26/17
ya know, several years ago I can understand thinking Leupold or nothing but not now. With bang for the bucks being ridiculed I can say that I helped friends buy a Bushnell 4200 for under $200 and a Weaver Super Slam for about the same. Turned others on to Weaver K6 for about $120 and bought a Burris 6x40 with a #4 for about $175. Options like Tract and Vortex and Meopta are now players. Leupold is still a player, hell the last scope I bought was one but these others meant I got more bang for the buck when I pulled the trigger. It is the way it is NOW. With a Meopta available at roughly half the price.......
Originally Posted by lantx
Meopro is the one that got me to switch from the VX3.

Once you try these you will forget what Leupold is!

Randall
Posted By: myYukon Re: Leupold VX3i alternatives? - 01/02/18
"Who do you consider "non-lens company" ?

It is a company that do not design and makes lens themselves. E.g. Sony, radio antenna company, today makes a lens for digital cameras... (used to be Minolta) even no real idea about making lenses... but who care.
Chinese just make it somehow and stick the "name" on it, and many just re-sell it. E.g. Burris: what in common they have with lens design and producing it?

Zeiss, Leica, Nikon, Canon, ... knows what is the Lens and how to construct it, how fix it inside the housing, how to define tolerances, ...
But and here one is free to buy Fly-Fishing rod from China, even they do not know what is Trout... Well cheap. USA makers are right on the rivers where Trout is...

So that is what is "non-lens company."
© 24hourcampfire