Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by jhr1986
I'm looking at scope options for a new 7mm-08; my original thought was to go with a VX3i 3.5-10x40 but all the negative comments about Leupold lately have me rethinking my decision. I'm now considering a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 which I know is a solid choice but more than twice the price of the Leupold I was planning on.

Are there any other scopes I should be looking at? I want to stay in that size range (magnification, objective, weight). I've considered the Vortex HD LH as well although it is a few ounces heavier; I have several vortex scopes (diamondback to razor, all good values imo) but would kind of like to try another brand.

I put a VX3I 3.5-10x40 on a new Remington Model Seven SS 7-08. I guess I'm screwed on both accounts, according to the internet. Lol. However, the rifle groups very well and I doubt I'll have scope problems.

Fingers crossed.

GB1

OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
Originally Posted by OdT
Originally Posted by Blackheart
According to the campfire's resident expert there are NO hunting scopes currently on the market that will reliably hold zero, track or return to zero. If you want a scope that will, you'll have to buy a big, heavy, tactical scope with a reticle that looks like some punk scratched graffiti all over your objective lens.
Truth
Quality scopes should also have badass, extreme names; i.e. "Razor," "Diamondback," "Super Sniper," "Strike Eagle," "Whiskey," etc. And badass, extreme logos to put on your pickup and copy into a tattoo on your bicep or neck. And the tube diameter MUST be metric. Extreme badasses NEVER talk inches.

More truth

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own the tract turion and meopta meorpo in 3-9x40 and the leupold vx3I in 3.5 -10x40 all sem to be good scopes. I like the glass best on the tract the eye box is a little lacking but eye relief is fine. The meopta and leupold are very similar in glass to my eyes. The leupold has the best eye relief and eye box hands down. All three have tracked correctly so far and hold zero fine. I have a custom dial on the turion on a 1" model 70 in 270 wsm. So far I have dialed to 3 and 5 hundred yards and returned to zero right where i started. Hopefully this holds up. Ps the turret is capped to which I love. You won't be dissapointed with any of them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
SHV and NXS seem to be pretty bland names for those who hate marketing. I have a bunch of 1 inch scopes, all have been back to the factory including a Zeiss Victory HT 1.5-6 x 43, QD swivel popped out (my fault) and it hit the tree stand. I am no fan of vortex or sig scopes, the swfa 1-4's now made in the Philippines are questionable in my mind, after the tract drop tests I am not convinced regards their durability, so your kind of in a jam unless you want to try a fixed 6x or 4x. I have heard the SB scopes hold zero well but are not great for dialing, but I have never owned one. I just got a trijicon 1-8 x 28 a 34 mm tube that is amazing, I ran the turrets just up and down a few times and fired and there it was right where it was supposed to be. Good luck.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have 5 or 6 old Redfield scopes, but a bunch of Leupolds. I’m in a heap of trouble from what I read about my Leupolds

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hanco
I have 5 or 6 old Redfield scopes, but a bunch of Leupolds. I’m in a heap of trouble from what I read about my Leupolds

Ya me too. You’ve been warned, you should probably just hang it up now!!! Grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a rifle here for repair right now with a broken stock. The owner dropped it 18 feet out of a treestand on opening morning of deer season. He climbed down, took it back up and killed a deer with it an hour later. It wears an old Denver Redfield widefield. So much for the optics "experts" and their "no scope but an SWFA or high end tactical will hold zero" bullshyt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jhr1986
I'm looking at scope options for a new 7mm-08; my original thought was to go with a VX3i 3.5-10x40 but all the negative comments about Leupold lately have me rethinking my decision. I'm now considering a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 which I know is a solid choice but more than twice the price of the Leupold I was planning on.

Are there any other scopes I should be looking at? I want to stay in that size range (magnification, objective, weight). I've considered the Vortex HD LH as well although it is a few ounces heavier; I have several vortex scopes (diamondback to razor, all good values imo) but would kind of like to try another brand.

I'd run with the Leupold VX-3i. Yes, there's a lot of forum banter but dollar for value, they are still the best bang for the buck, in my opinion.

For every negative forum comment here, there's thousands of satisfied Leupold users- heck, make that tens of thousands.

That being said, I also have a couple of Swaros and think they're a great scope, for the money, too.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the older Leupold are not as bad as the new ones. However many people don’t shoot enough to know the difference between a Leupold and a NF anyway, so I guess the point is moot.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've had a fixed 2.5x Leopold mounted on a 45-70 since 1993. I started to notice that the sight picture was not as clear as it used to be. Adjusting the focusing ring did not help so I sent it back to Leupold for a check up.
I just got the scope back last week and it seems better. They replaced the eyepiece assembly, replaced the erector spring, and reworked the erector system. After taking a pounding from a 45-70 for over 20 years I guess it was time for a tune up.

I've had a 3-9x30mm Leupold Compact mounted on my 30-06 since the beginning of time and still no problems. Both of these scopes are in good mounts and have always held a zero.

About 6 months ago I bought a new VXII for my Rem 700 in .223. So far so good on that one. I guess I must be lucky.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
the older Leupold are not as bad as the new ones. However many people don’t shoot enough to know the difference between a Leupold and a NF anyway, so I guess the point is moot.
If Leupold would just change the name to VERY EXTREME 3D and start an ad campaign full of tattooed MMA freaks carrying Leupold products and wearing Leupold swag and SO MUCH EXTREMENESS.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I shot around 30 rounds this morning. The wind was cold as a witches tit. My sons and I swapped seats in the truck between shooting. None of us could feel the damn triggers. The Leupold (mine) still managed a 3/4” group. Not feeling the mass exodus so much. The things just work as intended.

Granted there was no dialing. Maybe it’ll break while sitting out in the shop?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Derrick, there are some real hard chargers around here... beware!! Haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Judman
Derrick, there are some real hard chargers around here... beware!! Haha

Lol, I’m treading lightly man, I swear it!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 6 months ago I bought a new VXII for my Rem 700 in .223.

Oh, now you are really asking for trouble. A Leupold on a Remington 700!

You'll probably lose the bolt handle before the recoil of that .223 craps the scope out.......(grin)

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
That explains why I have not been able to sleep at night.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Speaking of holding zero, I gotta laugh, the boys savage 93 22 Mag, Simmons 22 Mag scope, 4 year old set up lives in the back of a xtra cab Toyota Tacoma. Also finds itself in a logging crewbus, killed piles of Schitt, never needs adjusting....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Never been in a case, never has cleaned the barrel, and it’s dead nuts.... grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

You'll probably lose the bolt handle before the recoil of that .223 craps the scope out.......(grin)

Bolt handles falling off??? Never seen it on a Remington, guy at work had one fall off a Tikka this year though...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Bolt handles falling off??? Never seen it on a Remington, guy at work had one fall off a Tikka this year though...

[quote=Vic_in_Va][quote]About 6 months ago I bought a new VXII for my Rem 700 in .223.

Oh man now Im screwed! I have a T3X with a 3.5-10 VX3i mounted in Talley LW’s!

So after my scope stops tracking, my bolt handle falls off and my rings crack I’m gonna need a new setup!!

Last edited by Motown; 12/24/17.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (2500HD, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 71 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,484
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.