Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
jhr1986 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I'm looking at scope options for a new 7mm-08; my original thought was to go with a VX3i 3.5-10x40 but all the negative comments about Leupold lately have me rethinking my decision. I'm now considering a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 which I know is a solid choice but more than twice the price of the Leupold I was planning on.

Are there any other scopes I should be looking at? I want to stay in that size range (magnification, objective, weight). I've considered the Vortex HD LH as well although it is a few ounces heavier; I have several vortex scopes (diamondback to razor, all good values imo) but would kind of like to try another brand.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
According to the campfire's resident expert there are NO hunting scopes currently on the market that will reliably hold zero, track or return to zero. If you want a scope that will, you'll have to buy a big, heavy, tactical scope with a reticle that looks like some punk scratched graffiti all over your objective lens.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Others may disagree but I don't see the Swaro as being any more durable than the Leupold. I own a Vortex HD LH and glass is great but adjustments are extremely mushy and I'm having doubts about how well they stay in place. If you want durability there's no way around increasing weight as it is the heavier internals that make the scope durable.

Just for set it and forget it Meopta may be a good option.Even the Burris Fullfield has been mentioned as being fairly good for a set it and forget it scope. If you want to dial adjustments in ranging SWFA or Bushnell LRHS on a budget or Nightforce if you have the funds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are many great options available in various price categories in a 3-10 size scope.
Meopta, Swarovski, Hawke, Athlon, Leupold (even though they have had the crap kicked out of them lately here on the playground they do make a good quality product) and others.
Please feel free to give us a call and we will do our best to hook you up.
Merry Christmas

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep. Apparently, the only scopes that work are those preferred by tacti-cool mall ninjas who live in their parents’ basements and play video games. If it doesn’t have a tactic-cool name like “NIGHTFORCE” or “SUPER SNIPER” it will not work in the woods or on the plains or in the bushveldt.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
some alternatives are Zeiss, Leupold vx-r, and if pn the budget the best is Leica. Stay away from non-lens company, but Leupold is ok.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Cabelas is heavily discounting they're branded Meopta. I'd consider that if you're looking for other options. Unlike some, I've been very happy with my Nikon Monarchs. I've probably purchased my last Leupold VX3 series scopes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Burris E1 - either Ballistic Plex or Burris Plex.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Sightron SII 3-9x42......... half the price, twice the scope(they work). Lifetime warranty......

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkaddict
Cabelas is heavily discounting they're branded Meopta. I'd consider that if you're looking for other options. Unlike some, I've been very happy with my Nikon Monarchs. I've probably purchased my last Leupold VX3 series scopes.

I ordered one of those recently. I have yet to put it through its paces. The optical quality is good. Right there with my VX-3s.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just bought a Hawke Endurance. Glass is pretty decent, tube is a little short for some mounting systems. Haven't shot it yet but it's not a turret scope so it is a sight it in and forget it scope.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by myYukon
the best is Leica. Stay away from non-lens company, but Leupold is ok.

Who do you consider "non-lens company" ?

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
According to the campfire's resident expert there are NO hunting scopes currently on the market that will reliably hold zero, track or return to zero. If you want a scope that will, you'll have to buy a big, heavy, tactical scope with a reticle that looks like some punk scratched graffiti all over your objective lens.

Pretty funny! But there's a germ of truth there. A lot of hunters, including me, don't want a large bulky scope that weighs 24 oz or so on their hunting rifles. If you are a dedicated dial twister maybe a large heavy scope is the best way to go, but for most of us, set and forget scopes handle hunting needs well and I do like multi-point reticles so that I have real aiming points for longer shots.

I have a bunch of Leupolds that have served me well and I'm still using them successfully. However, I've been branching out to try some other brands as well. I've had good luck with Burris Fullfield II's and also with Weaver V16's on my rimfires. I even have an SWFA 10X on a precision AR-15 which I like. So it depends on what the rifle will be used for. But I'm not throwing out the babies with the bathwater yet.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Meopta/Zeiss!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Bushnell Elites have been solid performers. I own more of them than any other scope.

Dan

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I have an extra Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50 , let me know if interested.
I bought it because it was next to cash register :-)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2 tracts and so far hold zero return to zero and tract fine. Give them a look my turion has great glass for the price.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 4 varixII/VXII's on my hunting rifles, solid scopes in my experience from .243-.338WM. I also a couple bushnell AR optics, and a SS 10x on a 50 BMG. The only bad scopes I've had were cheap ones I bought for .22's.

Cabelas has some ziess conquest's on closeout for almost 50% off. If they had exposed elevation knobs I'd own one.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Meopro is the one that got me to switch from the VX3.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Cabela's has some ziess conquest's on closeout for almost 50% off. If they had exposed elevation knobs I'd own one.

Very interesting that Cabela’s has some old Conquest scopes available. Meopta hasn’t made those in several years and Zeiss now markets a Chinese POS called the Terra as the Conquest’s replacement. I hear that’s on the way out, too.

I will say the Meopta-built old Conquest is way better than the newer Chinese Terra crap. If you have a chance to get one of these long-discontinued Conquests at the old price, it still blows any Leupold out of the water.

Better yet, get a real Zeiss like a Duralyt or HD5 or HD6.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 12/23/17.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (1eyedmule, 163bc, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,621
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.