Home

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This scope was $200 and ships from Hong Kong.

But I had to see what would happen.

Today is 18 days later and it was in my mail box.

I called Leupold Customer service and they said it was counterfeit and they want to know where I got it.
Wow...I wonder if thats the same one they are offering a deal on today....

Mil dot and duplex both on the label kinda give it away...
Thinking not. The counterfeits are all over eBay right now, listing after listing of VXIII 3.5-10, all shown as being from Hong Kong or Singapore. The deal was on a VX3i from a reputable eBay retailer in AL.
What’s really sad is you could probably go to any gun show and pass that off to an unsuspecting fool as the real deal.
That’s terrible.
Could you list the seller's Ebay name please? I just got an authentic VX-1 1-4x20 Heavy Duplex.

Ships from Hong Kong? Well, there you go....
Well will it hold zero and track better than the real thing?
I am not saying much until Leupold gets done looking at the pics and link of the ebay page I sent them.

Ebay or paypal might pay later.

My wife is worried I will die, she will sell it and she will get hit for fraud. I told her I would put a big tag on it. "THIS SCOPE IS AS FAKE AS CNN NEWS"

She did not think that was funny.
if they made their scopes in house it would be so much more difficult to do that.....
Originally Posted by gunut
if they made their scopes in house it would be so much more difficult to do that.....

What?
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Well will it hold zero and track better than the real thing?

As well as an Athlon or Vortex..
They're made by asslon
they source their scopes and scope parts from all over Asia...and I would bet many of the parts used in the making of the fake are the same parts used in the real ones....doesn't take much for somebody to put them together when they have access to half the needed original parts....most likely has lower grade optics and middle of the road build quality....but most of the price youre paying for the original is high profits..bet it works as good as any mid priced scope on the market........
If the pictures look weird, the box doesn't look like factory, and it is from overseas, it is fake, guaranteed. If you bought it as advertised, highly unlikely there will be a refund.
There are even Rage broadhead knockoffs, but some actually buy and use those, and claim good performance from them. But, Rage are made there in the first place, so could be off the same line.
they source their scopes and scope parts from all over Asia...and I would bet many of the parts used in the making of the fake are the same parts used in the real ones....doesn't take much for somebody to put them together when they have access to half the needed original parts....

How many of their scopes are assembled in Asia?
Originally Posted by FLNative
Thinking not. The counterfeits are all over eBay right now, listing after listing of VXIII 3.5-10, all shown as being from Hong Kong or Singapore. The deal was on a VX3i from a reputable eBay retailer in AL.

About 18 months back at the Costa Mesa CA gunshow a dealer had a stack of those special VX-III 3.5-10 at $350 each, I asked were did he get old stock and he claimed they were all new from a special run from Leupold.... and no I didnt buy anything from his table.
ANY Leupold that ships from Hong Kong or China is counterfeit. Currently there is a ton of them. And ebay has to know those counterfeit scopes are on there. I even saw a "Preferred Vendor" counterfeit seller.....
It is 9:30 at night and Leupold is still asking me questions about the shipper paper work.
I'd love to take that "counterfeit" apart and compare it to the official version.
Maybe it was sold out the backdoor by one of Leupold's "partners".
Damn. I've heard of this kind of stuff, and see it before with Trijicon on eBay. Be curious as to what Leupold will do with this.
Remember that BMW was raising hell about Chinese knockoff's of their X5 a few years ago? That issue went away when BMW opened their first plant in China. I wonder if the Chinese are wanting Leupold to open a plant in China?? My .02.....
Plenty of Zeiss Conquest fakes on E-bay too. Kicker usually is the red/green illuminated reticle.
Originally Posted by night_owl

This is very likely the issue, and if that is the case, you can't even call it a knockoff/counterfeit. It is a chance any company takes when they decide to source and manufacture in countries that don't follow patent/copyright laws. One aspiring entrepreneur repackage and off to the races.

I have first hand seen the Rage Chinadermics and they are darn near identical...real McCoy 3 for $40, no fancy pkg chinadermic 12 for $12...?
Keep it and flog it to death. Then give us a report. Probably the next "great" thing here on the 'Fire.
It might be a good scope.

Spin the dials on a box test at 400 yards, do a drop test, and write an Official Campfire Report.......
Originally Posted by night_owl
I'd love to take that "counterfeit" apart and compare it to the official version.

Doubtful. It would have to make the westward trip across the Pacific after it was assembled, and then back east across the Pacific again.

With the exception of lens and a few other parts, the rest of the scope parts are made in the USA and assembled in Oregon.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

ANY Leupold that ships from Hong Kong or China is counterfeit. Currently there is a ton of them. And ebay has go to know those counterfeit scopes are on there. I even saw a "Preferred Vendor" counterfeit seller.....

A preferred vendor is anyone that makes them money. They'd rather concentrate their efforts on folks like my tiny little wife who's been selling off her late former husband's little bits of junk at a loss. They want her tax info for "sales" that are not only losses, but for minuscule amounts; even the total.
Originally Posted by liliysdad
they source their scopes and scope parts from all over Asia...and I would bet many of the parts used in the making of the fake are the same parts used in the real ones....doesn't take much for somebody to put them together when they have access to half the needed original parts....

How many of their scopes are assembled in Asia?

As with most subjects, he doesn't have the first clue what he's talking about.
That settles it. No scope purchase on E-bay for me.
Originally Posted by Bugger
That settles it. No scope purchase on E-bay for me.

Oh, I don't know. I've bought several scopes from ebay in the last 6 months. Although I see one Chinese fake seller out of LA, most are being shipped from Hong Kong or China--that's your first clue. Like I said, look at the box and read the description, it's a dead give away. Besides, when the VX-Freedoms hit the market it'll probably take a while for them to change things to match.....
You can limit your eBay search to items located in the US only. That removes the vast majority of counterfeits. That one is good though. It isn't nearly as obvious as some of the Conquests. I bet they sell a ton of them
Lotsa red flags on the box. VX-III hasn't been around for a couple of years. Type-set on the label is a pee-poor attempt at mimicing Leupold. P/N 170683 is a VX-3i, 3.5-10x40 CDS Matte Duplex.
Why would you order a Leupold from Hong Kong (or anywhere outside US) to begin with?
Leupold are junk, probably perform just as well...seriously.
Originally Posted by Clarkm

I called Leupold Customer service and they said it was counterfeit and they want to know where I got it.

I'd tell em...for $200!

Seriously...spare me....
At Chinese New Year, about 20% of professionals change jobs. If they can bring a product design with them to the new job, they can get a bonus equal to about a year's pay. So it's pretty common to get something assembled there, and to next year meet your own products on the market from someone you don't know. That's why a lot of companies doing business there split up their production, so nobody knows the whole picture.

I had that happen to an electronic product of mine that I took to a supplier for a quote on assembling. The Engineering Manager took the device, removed all the components from the board, and ripped off the circuit board artwork. When I wanted my device back, he had a real cock and bull story about how they had accidentally destroyed it during testing. My engineers just laughed at his story.

I knew exactly what he had done. And it really pissed me off because that particular device was my own property, one that I had hand built.

So I sent the President of the company, who was a personal friend, a summary of the incident by snail mail. About 10 days later, the Engineering Manager was looking for work.
Backdoor Partner Optics - We give it while you take it....
You must have more cents than sense. If you knew it was being shipped from Hong Kong what were you expecting the real thing....wow
What do the adjustment knobs look like?
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Biddi...Leupold-scope-for-over-500/td-p/26169516

https://www.leupold.com/service-support/resources/counterfeit-warning
Originally Posted by Ghostman
You must have more cents than sense. If you knew it was being shipped from Hong Kong what were you expecting the real thing....wow

No, he wasn't expecting the real thing.. You would know that if you had read--and can comprehend English--his post.........
Its an upgrade.

Might be.
Want to see counterfeit?

Check out the VX-III 1.5-5x20 and 3-9x40 that "ZEISSA" is selling on eBay.

You could buy either one for $149.99.

ZEISSA has a 97.9% approval rating and his responses when confronted with charges of selling knock-offs is to call the buyer a liar.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hell, I'd hang on to it and use it. It may be better than the American made in Beaverton, Oregon model. It may even track better.... grin whistle Let us know how it works out, I might buy one...
Funny how they go through all the bother to counterfeit the boxes and scopes, but don't do a simple Google search on the part numbers. The 1.5-5 part number is for a VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm. But, they play to the fools who expect something for nothing.
why counterfeit something that everyone hates ?
Originally Posted by KenMi
Funny how they go through all the bother to counterfeit the boxes and scopes, but don't do a simple Google search on the part numbers. The 1.5-5 part number is for a VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm. But, they play to the fools who expect something for nothing.

Most people aren't sufficiently knowledgeable to recognize that detailed a difference.

If a person is looking at used Leupold scopes on eBay, about half of them are incorrectly described, as sellers either don't know that there is a difference between Vari-X IIs, VX-IIs, and VX-2s and between VX-Is and VX-1s, or they are purposely advertising an older scope with lower grade optics as a newer scope with higher grade optics. However, now that you've raised that point, I suppose that I should add a column to the EXCEL file that I use to track scopes with and start tracking the part numbers on scopes.

Even big box retails don't know, or don't care, sometimes. I bought a 2.5-8x36 at a large discount at Sports Authority a few years back because the counter clerk didn't care that it wasn't a $199 VX-1 even when I pointed it out, to him it was just a scope and all scopes look pretty much alike.

Whenever I buy Leupold scopes on eBay, I always ask for the serial number alpha prefix or suffix to determine if the seller knows what he is selling. About half the time they don't and more are upgraded than downgraded.
It says Duplex reticle but the image is a Mill Dot. I received the vx3 I that was on sale and it's legit.
Last year I bought a VX3i from Universal Mania before the owner went to prison for selling some counterfeit stuff. I called Leupold,gave them the number and they said it was legit. Leupold also said they had not had any issues with the VX3i being counterfeit. It was the Mark 4 or some of the others.
There is a domestic seller on there now with a few Leupolds that are suspicious. Either that, or it is a foreign seller using a domestic location. No shipping time given, and says they ship flat rate freight. 4 sold today, so he is messing with some people before getting shut down. The only seller reviews (10) are for Otterbox and phone stuff.

Seller name is blaisree_1
There is a domestic seller on there now with a few Leupolds that are suspicious. Either that, or it is a foreign seller using a domestic location. No shipping time given, and says they ship flat rate freight. 4 sold today, so he is messing with some people before getting shut down. The only seller reviews (10) are for Otterbox and phone stuff.

BLAISREE_1 has only been an eBay seller since August 2017 and he/she doesn't accept returns. So if you buy from him/her, it is "as is" and eBay probably won't help a buyer if the item purchased happens to be a knockoff.

There are other eBay sellers with open auctions of what appear to be counterfeit Leupold scopes:

CRAZYBUSHNELL
CRAZY_SCOPE
HISCOPE
PLUSCARGO_0
YISIBIGBEARSTORE

Yes. So far the counterfeit Chinese sellers with USA addresses have stuck to West Coast shipping addresses. But knowing those clever phucers they'll be shipping from Kansas City locations as time goes by.....
Originally Posted by Reyn
Last year I bought a VX3i from Universal Mania before the owner went to prison for selling some counterfeit stuff. I called Leupold,gave them the number and they said it was legit. Leupold also said they had not had any issues with the VX3i being counterfeit. It was the Mark 4 or some of the others.

The Mark 4 and the AR scopes, plus there are some new counterfeit labeled as "VX-II" scopes on ebay as well.
Anybody know if any fakes are coming from Amazon?
Seriously someone needs to buy one and do a thorough comparison.

I’d be curious to know whether it is absolute krap, average Leupold krap, or a half decent optic.

I purchased a fake on Ebay for $300 AUD which, at the time, I thought was a good price for the genuine product. After paying for it via Paypal it hadn't arrived 10 days later, so I sent the seller a nasty messages requesting the scope. He messaged back saying he didn't have a Paypal account,blah,blah,blah. In the end, I got the scope (a Leupold confirmed fake) and realised the transaction had not gone through so I cancelled payment through Paypal. I sent the seller a massage saying he could have his scope back when he paid for return postage. I never heard from him agian. So at the end of the day, I got the scope without paying for it. I was very lucky. Leupold confirmed it was FAKE via the serial number.

Its still sitting unused in the box it came in. Here's some pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][/quote
The fake Leupolds on Ebay no longer claim to be the real deal.

The Zeiss Conquests still claim to be real. I ordered one for $64.38 shipped. Will compare it to a real one, shoot the square, test tracking ,AO, etc. when it arrives and report back.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Rifle-Scope-Conquest-3-9X40AO-Illuminated-Red-Green-Reticle-Sight-Sighting/263351659035?epid=12010565079&hash=item3d50fb6a1b:g:F3gAAOSw4A5YuMfn
Originally Posted by kazijoy

The Zeiss Conquests still claim to be real. I ordered one for $64.38 shipped. Will compare it to a real one, shoot the square, test tracking ,AO, etc. when it arrives and report back.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Rifle-Scope-Conquest-3-9X40AO-Illuminated-Red-Green-Reticle-Sight-Sighting/263351659035?epid=12010565079&hash=item3d50fb6a1b:g:F3gAAOSw4A5YuMfn

Ad mentions 30-day return policy. Wonder if the seller will honor it you're not satisfied.
When you buy using PayPal the buyer always wins any dispute.

Can you point me to a specific eBay auction for a Leupold scope where the seller has language in the ad that would indicate that it is a fake and not, as you say, "THE REAL DEAL"?

EDIT: I am looking at an eBay ad by "ZEISSA" for a VX-III 1.5-5x20 scope that appears to be the same knock-off that DINGO bought and was shipped to him in Australia. It has a "buy now" price of $146.02 and in the description the country/region of manufacture is the United States, which would lead a person to believe that this is a "REAL" Leupold scope, made in the good ol' USA.

This ad also has the following in the description: "America's favorite riflescope just got better. VX-III brings legendary Leupold Gold Ring performance to a new level. Twilight max light management system provides maximum brightness in all colors and intensified contrast across the entire field of view. Dual spring precision adjustments perform with match grade precision. The easy turn power selector can be quickly turned, even with gloves on while watertight seals ensure fog free performance for a lifetime.". No disclaimer anywhere in that text that would suggest that this isn't a "REAL" Leupold scope.

The auction that I'm looking at is # 352228425977.
They are all fraudulent just by using the brand name, model, and logo. They could change one letter, or just list it as an unbranded scope, but they would get zero exposure in searches.
Just like the stupid telemarketers claiming to be IRS or Microsoft. If it wasn't for the ignorant, their scams would fizzle out.

And then the buyers complain cause their scope fails.
Originally Posted by bellydeep

I’d be curious to know whether it is absolute krap, average Leupold krap, or a half decent optic.

Well, why don't you be that someone for us?
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Well, why don't you be that someone for us?

Old Someone would be a busy boy if he were to follow all the suggestions he gets!😛
Many have been sold and many were sent in for repair before realizing they were fake. Haha

Can you point me to a specific eBay auction for a Leupold scope where the seller has language in the ad that would indicate that it is a fake and not, as you say, "THE REAL DEAL"?

here you are: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARK-4-Style-3-5-10x40mm-LRT-M3-Illum-Rifle-Scope-Rings-and-Leupold-cover/263443786231?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3Dfc3f080383fd43a697c0fbf73406413c%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D263351659035%26itm%3D263443786231&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

What?!

They obviously do make that claim.

here you are: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARK-4-Style-3-5-10x40mm-LRT-M3-Illum-Rifle-Scope-Rings-and-Leupold-cover/263443786231?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3Dfc3f080383fd43a697c0fbf73406413c%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D263351659035%26itm%3D263443786231&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

The scope in the auction that you've cited isn't advertised as being a Leupold scope, it is advertised as being an "Accurate" Brand Name Maker scope that is a "1:1 replica of Leupold Mark 4 M3 3.5-10x40 rifle scope".

eBay seller is either Iehamric8 or lehamric8, not sure if the first letter is an upper case "I" or a lower case "l".

eBay auction number is 263443786231
When you buy using PayPal the buyer always wins any dispute.

Not true. It might be that way MOST of the time...can't say. But I sell fishing lures on there, and 2-3 yrs. ago I shipped a lure that hadn't showed up after 3-4 weeks. He filed a claim with PP. Because I had bought postage through them and they had the tracking #, they ruled that it was the fault of NEITHER of us. I got my money, he got his money + the lure as it showed up the very day he got his refund from them, and PayPal paid him. eBay on the other hand, will rule in the Buyer's favor EVERY time as far as I know of. I had the exact same thing happen, but the Buyer filed with eBay instead of PayPal. I had the evidence I had shipped the lure, but I had to pay the Buyer. He got the lure a few days later, and of course, it was stamped the day I had shipped it and he also received the lure 3 or 4 days after eBay debited my PP account for the $25 or so dollars for the lure.
From the pictures I’ve seen on here, the scopes look damn good. I can’t tell that they’re fake from the pictures. I’m with some of you, Maybe they did make it out of the back door of some company who Leupold contracts to. I really hope not, but on a selfish note, if they were I’d buy a couple for personal use.
Originally Posted by ChanceD
but on a selfish note, if they were I’d buy a couple for personal use.

What other kind of scope use is there?
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by ChanceD
but on a selfish note, if they were I’d buy a couple for personal use.

What other kind of scope use is there?

Lol, I guess, I meant that I wouldn’t ever sell them.
Leupold wants to know where you got these Chinese scopes so they can improve their own line. wink
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

BLAISREE_1 has only been an eBay seller since August 2017 and he/she doesn't accept returns. So if you buy from him/her, it is "as is" and eBay probably won't help a buyer if the item purchased happens to be a knockoff.

There are other eBay sellers with open auctions of what appear to be counterfeit Leupold scopes:

CRAZYBUSHNELL
CRAZY_SCOPE
HISCOPE
PLUSCARGO_0
YISIBIGBEARSTORE

The 5 above are all sellers shipping from Asia. The previous listings of Blaisree_1 were domestic, but have been removed. Looks like they have listed the 1.5-5 again.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Leupold-Vx3i-3-510x40mm-CDs-Matte-Duplex-170683/2255306283

Leupold Vx3i 3.510x40mm CDs Matte Duplex 170683
$199.99
Free Shipping
Get it by Wed, Feb 7 - Tue, Mar 13 from Singapore, Singapore

[Linked Image]
https://www.ebay.com/p/Leupold-Vx3i-3-510x40mm-CDs-Matte-Duplex-170683/2255306283

Leupold Vx3i 3.510x40mm CDs Matte Duplex 170683
$199.99
Free Shipping
Get it by Wed, Feb 7 - Tue, Mar 13 from Singapore, Singapore

[Linked Image]

The eBay seller on this auction is HISCOPE, one of five eBay sellers who I have identified as appearing to deal in counterfeit rifle scopes from Bushnell, Leupold, and Zeiss.
But this one is is an obvious fake. No vx3i is marked vx-iii on the box
Apparently the shipping location of Singapore means nothing.

They are starting to list domestic locations, but no doubt they would still ship from overseas, unless they have a 3rd party here.

If in doubt, just request the serial number.
Do they come with a Leupold sticker in the box?
Haha. Not likely. Doubt there is any paperwork or company info
I complained to the Ebay seller today that Leupold says the scope is counterfeit.
I got this back

New message from: hiscope (9,991Green Star)
hi,this item is 100% authentic, made in US for Asia market, US may don't have this model or a little difference in details, many people don't know about it, we offer lifetime warranty, That is why so cheap. it has high quality and very clear and bright lens. if you don't satisfy with it when receive, we 100% accept return for any reason.
I feel sorry for the misunderstand, how about you keep it and I refund you 20% as solution?
Customer Service:
No case, No Negative/Neutral feedback please, contact us first, thank you.
Because of the different time zone, we will reply within 24-48 hours, Please not open case or leave bad feedback, thank you!
they are still on E-Bay for sale ,seen a new VX-3i 3X9X40 on sale for 150 bucks or there about, i thought wow great deal ,till i seen shipped from hong kong ,thought bet this is fake ,so i no buy
I complained to the Ebay seller today that Leupold says the scope is counterfeit.
I got this back

hi,this item is 100% authentic, made in US for Asia market, US may don't have this model or a little difference in details, many people don't know about it, we offer lifetime warranty, That is why so cheap. it has high quality and very clear and bright lens. if you don't satisfy with it when receive, we 100% accept return for any reason.
I feel sorry for the misunderstand, how about you keep it and I refund you 20% as solution?
Customer Service:
Because of the different time zone, we will reply within 24-48 hours, Please not open case or leave bad feedback, thank you!

Did you leave "counterfeit" feedback?
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Did you leave "counterfeit" feedback?

Not yet. I am not going to accept the 20% of $200 back, as I suspected it was counterfeit when I bought it.

There used to be topless bar on highway 99 in Seattle with a billboard that said "50 beautiful dancing girls, and two ugly ones"

I now own 50 Leupolds and one counterfeit. I got my money's worth. Now I will leave the "counterfeit" feedback.
It might actually have better tracking did anyone check. I sold my last Leupold a month ago sick of the crappy mechanical problens
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
It might actually have better tracking did anyone check. I sold my last Leupold a month ago sick of the crappy mechanical problens

I could do this kind of check

I got this back

Customer Service:

If I got that answer, I'd immediately open the case. If it is not as described, the seller is forced to provide return shipping, or a full refund without return. Then, sell the thing as a counterfeit, and some airsoft wannabe will be overjoyed with it.
Funny that the serial number on the scope is not the same as the serial number on the box.
Apparently the shipping location of Singapore means nothing.

They are starting to list domestic locations, but no doubt they would still ship from overseas, unless they have a 3rd party here.

If in doubt, just request the serial number.

I noticed they are starting to have domestic shipping addresses. I saw a counterfeit Leupold shipping from Missouri the other day instead of the usual Left Coast address.
Originally Posted by FLNative

This, and just look at all of the Zeiss fraud, copy, clone scopes all over the auction site.
Some sellers openly proclaim they are a copy, etc.

It seems that ebay or the companies being defrauded do not care, as there is nothing done
to those ads, even when being reported.

All Ebay cares about is receiving "FEES".
Yep, 10% of a sale makes them look the other way. There have been reloading components, bullets, brass, ammo, high cap. magazines, etc. that have all run through the whole auction time and sold.
If Ebay gets accused, they just say the listing didnt follow their rules, but wasnt noticed or reported.
$156.99....Yisibigbearstore on Ebay VX-3 3.5-10x40 Regular price $523.30 Vrary Good Price. Obviously, counterfeit 🧐
Has anyone seen a counterfeit Leupold FX-II 2.5 X 20 mm Ultralight?

That is the 2.5 X fixed, it used to be called the Compact.
Hello everyone! Counterfeits are a big issue these days, and unfortunately we and other manufacturers have encountered more and more examples lately. Unfortunately due to the variety of counterfeits out there (and the variety of scopes we at Leupold have made over the years), there is no single way to identify a counterfeit.

Your best protection against counterfeits is to purchase from established sporting goods retailers. We often see counterfeits from private eBay Sellers, Wish.com, ioffer.com, aliexpress.com, and Alibaba.com, as well as many other small websites that try to undersell retailers. There is no such thing as a Leupold Riflescope made specifically for the Asian market. All Leupold scopes are manufactured in our only facility in Beaverton Oregon – that has always been the case, and always will be. A genuine Leupold will not ship from Hong Kong, Singapore, or any other Asian port.

If you are purchasing a scope used or from a private seller and want to confirm its authenticity, please contact Leupold directly. The best way to confirm authenticity would be to email us at [email protected] with a serial number, full description of the scope, and attached images of the whole scope. We track information on all counterfeits that we come across, and can typically ID a fake pretty easily.

That said, it’s a bit of an arms race. Counterfeiters are always trying make their fakes look more real. We’re seeing new fakes on a regular basis, so emailing us the above info also helps us keep on top of the issue.
But do the Counterfeits track better? Lost confidence in some Leupolds, ability to track and hold zero please try and improve on that. If you do I will buy more.

But do the Counterfeits track better? Lost confidence in some Leupolds, ability to track and hold zero please try and improve on that. If you do I will buy more.

Originally Posted by LeupoldOptics
Hello everyone! Counterfeits are a big issue these days, and unfortunately we and other manufacturers have encountered more and more examples lately. Unfortunately due to the variety of counterfeits out there (and the variety of scopes we at Leupold have made over the years), there is no single way to identify a counterfeit.

Your best protection against counterfeits is to purchase from established sporting goods retailers. We often see counterfeits from private eBay Sellers, Wish.com, ioffer.com, aliexpress.com, and Alibaba.com, as well as many other small websites that try to undersell retailers. There is no such thing as a Leupold Riflescope made specifically for the Asian market. All Leupold scopes are manufactured in our only facility in Beaverton Oregon – that has always been the case, and always will be. A genuine Leupold will not ship from Hong Kong, Singapore, or any other Asian port.

If you are purchasing a scope used or from a private seller and want to confirm its authenticity, please contact Leupold directly. The best way to confirm authenticity would be to email us at [email protected] with a serial number, full description of the scope, and attached images of the whole scope. We track information on all counterfeits that we come across, and can typically ID a fake pretty easily.

That said, it’s a bit of an arms race. Counterfeiters are always trying make their fakes look more real. We’re seeing new fakes on a regular basis, so emailing us the above info also helps us keep on top of the issue.

Please read kk alaska's post and get back to us...

If SWFA can do it on $300 scopes, Leupold should as well.....a 3.5-10x40 vx3i CDS that actually tracked and held zero even at 15-16 oz, might sell ok....
Originally Posted by Beaver10
$156.99....Yisibigbearstore on Ebay VX-3 3.5-10x40 Regular price $523.30 Vrary Good Price. Obviously, counterfeit 🧐

Obviously that seller is on crack. I wouldn't give that much for a real VX3 3.5-10X40, let alone a counterfeit... I don't care how vrery good the deal is...

I got a smoking deal for you my friend. Send one of your upper end rifle scopes to me, and I'll compare tracking to my cheap azzed SWFA SS rifle scope. Hell, I can even drive to Beaverton, if you wish. I'll post results on this site. Maybe the owners and managers of Leupold can watch that and lean something and really change things up and put a good dependable product out there. I could care the fu ck less how good your warranty is, even when its a given that the purchaser will undoubtedly be using that service... Oh, by the way, SWFA has a stellar warranty policy as well. Leupold isn't the only "dog and pony show" around. They may work for some guys that only shoot their rifles once or twice a year. It's those guys and the old timers, that have unflailing brand loyalty, that keep your business afloat.
Originally Posted by Hiaring8

If SWFA can do it on $300 scopes, Leupold should as well.....a 3.5-10x40 vx3i CDS that actually tracked and held zero even at 15-16 oz, might sell ok....

Yep, I tried 2 Leupold VX3 3.5-10X40 with CDS consecutively and total fail...

I have a counterfeit 2-7x33 VX2. The differences between the counterfeit scope and a genuine Leupold 2-7x33 VX1 aren't all that obvious until they are viewed side-by-side:

On the counterfeit scope, the differences are:

- The power adjustment ring is wider and has a more pronounced "bump".
- The magnification markings on the power adjustment ring are marked "2X", "3X", "4X", "5X", "6X", and "7X".
- The turret caps that protect the windage and elevation knobs are taller.
- The finish is more of a satin than a matte.

On the genuine scope, the difference are:

- The power adjustment ring is narrower and has a less pronounced "bump".
- The magnification markings on the power adjustment ring are marked "2", "4", and "7" with tick marks at 3X, 5X, and 6X.
- The turrent caps that protect the windage and elevation knobs are shorter.
- The finish is matte.

I have a lot of genuine Leupold 2-7x33 scopes, but the differences weren't obvious until I compared the scopes side-by-side. I doubt that the average consumer is likely to notice the differences and the differences are so subtle that even experience buyers may get taken in. I know of a small local gun shop that paid a premium for a used rifle that came to them with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 scope that turned out to be a counterfeit.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Note to self......"DO NOT BUY ANY LEUPOLD SCOPES FROM BSA1917"!!!!

LOL.
Must be living a charmed life. I have never had a Leupold scope fail. One and only beef with Leupold was when they doubled their custom shop retrofit charges a year ago.
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Must be living a charmed life. I have never had a Leupold scope fail. One and only beef with Leupold was when they doubled their custom shop retrofit charges a year ago.

Pretty much my experience too.

I used to swap out reticles for the heavy duplex, but now it is too expensive. Time to find a manufacturer that wants to help resolve problems, not put them into place.
Originally Posted by dingo

I purchased a fake on Ebay for $300 AUD which, at the time, I thought was a good price for the genuine product. After paying for it via Paypal it hadn't arrived 10 days later, so I sent the seller a nasty messages requesting the scope. He messaged back saying he didn't have a Paypal account,blah,blah,blah. In the end, I got the scope (a Leupold confirmed fake) and realised the transaction had not gone through so I cancelled payment through Paypal. I sent the seller a massage saying he could have his scope back when he paid for return postage. I never heard from him agian. So at the end of the day, I got the scope without paying for it. I was very lucky. Leupold confirmed it was FAKE via the serial number.

Its still sitting unused in the box it came in. Here's some pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][/quote

Thats a pretty good copy
Originally Posted by Orion2000

I thought I was living a charmed life as well - until I bought a NF and realized I didn't need to hit the scope, shoot it, and move it 10 clicks to get it to move 1" at 100 yards...
I always wonder why when they fake these scopes, they don't take the time to at least make the packaging look authentic. I can't imagine it's that difficult the get the font size and print correct, and duplicate a label from the real product. I'd be really upset if I bit the bullet (no pun intended) and invested in a Leupie just to find out it's as phony as a $3.00 bill. Jeez if they start faking 50 year old K-4 El Paso's, I'm screwed!
Probly tracks better than an authentic Leupold.
Wow the guy from Leupold on here to help out and a couple jackasses want to troll him on scope tracking through second hand info? GFY's
Originally Posted by peeshooter
Wow the guy from Leupold on here to help out and a couple jackasses want to troll him on scope tracking through second hand info? GFY's

Internet Tough Guys are everywhere
Maybe he should come back and address the tracking issue....but that won't happen
Im a little surprised at some of the issues people have had with their Leupold optics on here. Ive got 2 VX3i 3.5-10x40s and they are both great. I don't spin turrets or anything but as a set and forget scope...I think they are awful tough to beat.

Ive had them on a couple 375s as well with no issue.

The only think Leupold makes that I don't care for are their rings and bases. I prefer the Talley steel or even the aluminum Talleys.
This is typical campfire BS. It’s cool to pile on
Originally Posted by Bill_N

Really?
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Maybe he should come back and address the tracking issue....but that won't happen

IIRC, the Leupold guy has previously posted that he won't answer questions posed on internet sites like this. He only posts information that might be of interest to the shooting sports community.

I sent him a PM asking if Leupold was going to offer a shotgun scope with a heavy duplex reticle and he told me to call customer service.
I'll address it Leopold won't change a thing they are making their margins on wares they are selling and 90% or more don't know any better

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

China copies everything. Your IPhone is made in China, you can buy an IPhone made in same factory that went out the back door for 1/3 the price here in Canada.

Really?

Yea, typical of guys with 20k posts. The semi tough guy schtick

Really?

Yea, typical of guys with 20k posts. The semi tough guy schtick

Or those that actually shoot and use things instead of pretending
+1 Not slamming any high particular posters but I'm sure there is lots of keyboard Safaris, and anyone with so many posts must be in a wheelchair or have nothing else to do in their lives. Pitiful actually if this site is the highlight of their lives and they spend all their free time on here.
And here we go with more do nothing know everything bull crap.....Carry on kids
China tried to copy Nightforce as well, but the cost of the lead needed was too high, to get the weights to match.

I,ll stand by what I said !

Please read kk alaska's post and get back to us...

Hahahaha!!!!

I got a smoking deal for you my friend. Send one of your upper end rifle scopes to me, and I'll compare tracking to my cheap azzed SWFA SS rifle scope. Hell, I can even drive to Beaverton, if you wish. I'll post results on this site. Maybe the owners and managers of Leupold can watch that and lean something and really change things up and put a good dependable product out there. I could care the fu ck less how good your warranty is, even when its a given that the purchaser will undoubtedly be using that service... Oh, by the way, SWFA has a stellar warranty policy as well. Leupold isn't the only "dog and pony show" around. They may work for some guys that only shoot their rifles once or twice a year. It's those guys and the old timers, that have unflailing brand loyalty, that keep your business afloat.

I love it!!!

TFF!!!

fuggers lost me as customer in 2017 after being a customer since 1979 when I was 16 yrs old.
The VX3i 3.5-10×40 abortion I went thru was enough for me to never buy their half assed new scopes.
Ever again.
Leupold better pray SWFA dont come out with a hunting version of their 3-9×42.

I know many of us are hoping and praying SWFA will very soon..

It's great chasing zero with em.
Even better putting 2 clicks of windage on em and seeing the reticle move 12- 14 inches off target on a 45°angle to the 4 oclock.

Fugging company owes me about 170 bucks between ammo burnt up
And what I sold their NIB replacement for the day after I got it in the mail.

Knew I would never buy leupold again.

Cheaper for em to replace than repair. Speaks volumes of their business model.

Oh and the tech I talked to let the cat outta the bag.
All broke dick scopes that are sent in, replaced with NIB sent to the unaware customer.
Broke dick scopes are disassembled and parts put back on the line.

Same tech also said QC is nonexistent and low in their new volume plan
Get em out
Hope for the best
Replace if needed

Good stuff
QC
Hajahahaha!!!!
I've had 2 bad SWFA scopes do I act like they raped my daughter? No
One of the issues with ebay, and I suspect the counterfeit Leupold dealers will catch on, is that sellers can lie about the product location without any repercussions from ebay. I order a lot bicycle parts. I specify in my search located USA only. I still get crap that ships from overseas. A lot of times the seller name is a dead giveaway. Then an arrival date that is far out and has a large window for the arrival.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
One of the issues with ebay, and I suspect the counterfeit Leupold dealers will catch on, is that sellers can lie about the product location without any repercussions from ebay. I order a lot bicycle parts. I specify in my search located USA only. I still get crap that ships from overseas. A lot of times the seller name is a dead giveaway. Then an arrival date that is far out and has a large window for the arrival.

I reported the counterfeit Leupolds to eBay and the woman who I spoke to was a complete idiot. She told me that eBay never allowed any rifle scopes to be sold. I told her that she was clueless and asked her to transfer me to her supervisor since she didn't know what she was talking about. I spoke to another woman who said that she'd look into it, but nothing positive happened since the Chinese seller is still advertising counterfeit 1.5-6x32, 2-7x33, and 3.5-10x40 "Leupolds" on eBay. Do a search on "3.5-10x40mm scope" and you'll find dozens of counterfeit Leupolds for under $70. The counterfeit sellers don't use the name "Leupold" anywhere in their ads, but the pictures in the ads make the scopes look like they are Leupold brand scopes. I'm surprised that Leupold doesn't try to get eBay to put some controls into place to address the counterfeit problem.

eBay seems to mostly care about earning their fees and they don't seem to care about proliferation of counterfeit products on their site.
Wouldn't wanrt to offend the Chinese or risked being called a Racist. 3/4 the [bleep] on ebay comes from China.
© 24hourcampfire