Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Plenty of Zeiss Conquest fakes on E-bay too. Kicker usually is the red/green illuminated reticle.

GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by night_owl
Maybe it was sold out the backdoor by one of Leupold's "partners".

This is very likely the issue, and if that is the case, you can't even call it a knockoff/counterfeit. It is a chance any company takes when they decide to source and manufacture in countries that don't follow patent/copyright laws. One aspiring entrepreneur repackage and off to the races.

I have first hand seen the Rage Chinadermics and they are darn near identical...real McCoy 3 for $40, no fancy pkg chinadermic 12 for $12...?

Honorary Gouger per Travis
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Keep it and flog it to death. Then give us a report. Probably the next "great" thing here on the 'Fire.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It might be a good scope.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Spin the dials on a box test at 400 yards, do a drop test, and write an Official Campfire Report.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by night_owl
I'd love to take that "counterfeit" apart and compare it to the official version.
Maybe it was sold out the backdoor by one of Leupold's "partners".

Doubtful. It would have to make the westward trip across the Pacific after it was assembled, and then back east across the Pacific again.

With the exception of lens and a few other parts, the rest of the scope parts are made in the USA and assembled in Oregon.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

ANY Leupold that ships from Hong Kong or China is counterfeit. Currently there is a ton of them. And ebay has go to know those counterfeit scopes are on there. I even saw a "Preferred Vendor" counterfeit seller.....

A preferred vendor is anyone that makes them money. They'd rather concentrate their efforts on folks like my tiny little wife who's been selling off her late former husband's little bits of junk at a loss. They want her tax info for "sales" that are not only losses, but for minuscule amounts; even the total.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by gunut
they source their scopes and scope parts from all over Asia...and I would bet many of the parts used in the making of the fake are the same parts used in the real ones....doesn't take much for somebody to put them together when they have access to half the needed original parts....

How many of their scopes are assembled in Asia?

As with most subjects, he doesn't have the first clue what he's talking about.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That settles it. No scope purchase on E-bay for me.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bugger
That settles it. No scope purchase on E-bay for me.

Oh, I don't know. I've bought several scopes from ebay in the last 6 months. Although I see one Chinese fake seller out of LA, most are being shipped from Hong Kong or China--that's your first clue. Like I said, look at the box and read the description, it's a dead give away. Besides, when the VX-Freedoms hit the market it'll probably take a while for them to change things to match.....

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You can limit your eBay search to items located in the US only. That removes the vast majority of counterfeits. That one is good though. It isn't nearly as obvious as some of the Conquests. I bet they sell a ton of them

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lotsa red flags on the box. VX-III hasn't been around for a couple of years. Type-set on the label is a pee-poor attempt at mimicing Leupold. P/N 170683 is a VX-3i, 3.5-10x40 CDS Matte Duplex.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Why would you order a Leupold from Hong Kong (or anywhere outside US) to begin with?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Leupold are junk, probably perform just as well...seriously.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Clarkm

I called Leupold Customer service and they said it was counterfeit and they want to know where I got it.

I'd tell em...for $200!

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Seriously...spare me....

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
At Chinese New Year, about 20% of professionals change jobs. If they can bring a product design with them to the new job, they can get a bonus equal to about a year's pay. So it's pretty common to get something assembled there, and to next year meet your own products on the market from someone you don't know. That's why a lot of companies doing business there split up their production, so nobody knows the whole picture.

I had that happen to an electronic product of mine that I took to a supplier for a quote on assembling. The Engineering Manager took the device, removed all the components from the board, and ripped off the circuit board artwork. When I wanted my device back, he had a real cock and bull story about how they had accidentally destroyed it during testing. My engineers just laughed at his story.

I knew exactly what he had done. And it really pissed me off because that particular device was my own property, one that I had hand built.

So I sent the President of the company, who was a personal friend, a summary of the incident by snail mail. About 10 days later, the Engineering Manager was looking for work.

Be not weary in well doing.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Backdoor Partner Optics - We give it while you take it....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
You must have more cents than sense. If you knew it was being shipped from Hong Kong what were you expecting the real thing....wow

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What do the adjustment knobs look like?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (3dtestify, 7887mm08, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 12 invisible), 986 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,129
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.