Home
I appreciate the time and answers from the Tract optics folks at the deer show this past weekend. They had the lions share of product out there and let me finger bang their glass every which way from Sunday. Non-shooting impressions are just that, but a QC inspection can also tell you whether or not it’s worth mounting. Eye boxes and eye relief were where they needed to be, adjustments seem positive, glass and construction look great, and all questions answered 100%. Very helpful and made me feel better about considering their stuff as the real deal. Thanks.
Good to hear!
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Good to hear that you have some first hand experience. I trust opinions that are based on experience! It seems your opinion mirrors the opinion of others who have first hand experience. Some on this forum who have never seen or held a tract optic have tried to offer there opinion based on zero experience. I don't trust that sort of opinion.

Fixed it for you 😁😁😁
So you've never shot even one shot through a Tract on a gun, but they get a shout-out? That's an unusual way to do a "recommendation."
I didn’t ‘recommend’ anyone. I merely acknowledged their helpfulness and appreciated finally getting to actually handle product. Y’all can pick sides and swipe at each other elsewhere, and review use or breaking [bleep] on purpose. This ain’t one of those threads.
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I didn’t ‘recommend’ anyone. I merely acknowledged their helpfulness and appreciated finally getting to actually handle product. Y’all can pick sides and swipe at each other elsewhere, and review use or breaking [bleep] on purpose. This ain’t one of those threads.

I've had excellent discussions with the Tract guys myself. Anyone with half a brain could read your title and post itself and see why you gave Tract a shout out. It was obvious and well deserved. The half a brain criteria left out DD, which is why he made his usual dumbass post.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
So you've never shot even one shot through a Tract on a gun, but they get a shout-out? That's an unusual way to do a "recommendation."

And have you used Tract Binos or one of their Scopes?

Originally Posted by sidepass

And have you used Tract Binos or one of their Scopes?

I'm a little slow at times...I don't understand the comment in red. Is it aimed at DD because he hasn't recommended Tract Optics because he has never used any? Or is it because he has used Tract Optics and will not recommend them?
Glad your happy with your purchase. The guys are heading out to a show this weekend. Thanks
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey

I've had excellent discussions with the Tract guys myself. Anyone with half a brain could read your title and post itself and see why you gave Tract a shout out. It was obvious and well deserved. The half a brain criteria left out DD, which is why he made his usual dumbass post.

JG,
I've always enjoyed your posts and results. You're upset now because I've never got "scope bit" and now I'm a dumbass. That seems like a childish way to play. My posts aren't "dumbass" and I've got a good bit more than half a brain, I can assure you. If'n you want to play, you should go back through my years of posts and prove where I've been wrong. Once.

And if you still need help properly mounting a scope, I'll help you out with that too! Have a good day.

He spoke well of the guys he met and what he saw. He said it was limited to a non-shooting impression.

In line with what you've posted, if someone hasn't used a Tract to shoot 1 shot then they can't speak about the product.......neither positive or negative?
I don't put much stock in salespersons telling me the truth about a shiny new product. Especially when the sales rep doesn't answer questions without dodging on the other thread.
That’s okay. You’ve proven here that your reading comprehension is sub par, so maybe your listening and observation skills follow suit.
I'm pretty confident in my reading comprehension, listening, and observation skills. I get paid to do all three for a living. But I'll try to get even better. Thanks for the concern though.

I'll soldier on in my purported half-brained, dimwitted, dumbassed, poorly-skilled successes while you guys check out Tract optics and prove them out to be failures as a product and a business model. Have fun along the way, and have a good day.
You guys seem to think that the hunting world is somehow channeled through the 24hr Campsite. Well dream on, and while you do the rest of us are out there happy with our Tract product choices and using them rather than being stuck in negative conjecture over a key board.

The acid test for Tract will be what the actual consumers think, not what a handful of 24hr Campers think. Tract seem to be doing better at establishing their brand with good products than the nay-sayers are at pulling them down.
New member with 20 posts, 17 of which directly pimp "Tract" in the title or body. Schills gotta do better than that, if'n you're going to schill for real.
DD, as NZ said, actual use trumps lip service..........my son kills loads of game with the Toric glass.

[Linked Image]
That's a nice buck!

How much field use has the scope gotten so far? I thought that he just started with that rig this past fall.

And you use their binos too, if I recall? That's great. Real product usage, not a sales pitch.

But they'll go the way of ZenRay. Their business model is not tenable, and their sales rep on this board dodges questions.
They might, or they might not. Time will tell. I hope they knock 'em dead. Doug at CL explained the difference in ZR and Tract. You must have missed that. Also, I don't think bhoges is their sales rep. He has a real job.

He did start with that rig last fall. That was the first deer he's killed with it, along with about 100 hogs. My binos are around his neck.
Agreed. If their stuff generally performs well and they honor the warranty on stuff that breaks, and in a timely manner, that puts them at least on par with most optics outfits, and ahead of some that drag a bit on service. Despite the Neverending Crap-nado that rages here over one example of their lower-tier line, the general sense I get is that owners of the Japanese-made models are well-satisfied. Got to include myself in that group, even though I had my Tekoa on the classifieds for a bit, along with another spare from my small stash (neither had given any trouble whatsoever, BTW). If, on the other hand, they let quality or service slide, their stuff will be on clearance at CDNN.
Right on Pappy. It'll be on clearance from my house too....... laugh
New member with 20 posts, 17 of which directly pimp "Tract" in the title or body. Schills gotta do better than that, if'n you're going to schill for real.

A geography lesson might assist here. I live 13,000 miles from the States. The Tract brand means nothing here, and didn't to me until I bought a Toric direct from the States to try one.

Accordingly, I have made my mind up about the 'scope well beyond any influence and in hunting conditions. Not in air conditioned office conditions smile
This year I've shot 16 deer using the Toric.

The only bias I have is that I own one (and the Toric binos), and am impressed.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Right on Pappy. It'll be on clearance from my house too....... laugh

Exactly.

I repeat this: I've got a mate who imported a Tract Toric on my word, and his rifle shot all over the place with it. He and I were very disappointed.

He returned the 'scope to the States stating it wouldn't track. Tract reimbursed him the freight.

The conversations with Tract by email were timely and polite.

Tract box tested the 'scope and reported it as perfect, and freighted it back along with the box test target (using a heavy barrel 308).

In the mean time my mate found that his new 300 mag was not stabilising the 110grn TTSX projectiles - and that was the problem, not the 'scope at all.

Its back on the rifle shooting 150 grn projectiles perfectly.

I would call that top notch service.
NZsika,

Based on my own experience with a 3-15x Toric, I'm betting yours has just kept tracking perfectly. Even sent mine to a friend who did a drop test, and it not only held zero but kept tracking.

One of the several tests I ran on mine was eye relief, which is listed as close to 4 inches and not varying much at all from 3-15x. I checked it out and my scope matched the listed specs.

Personally, I'm thinking about one of the 2-10's, since they're considerably more compact than the 3-15x, and at 18.6 ounces somewhat lighter.
Regardless of the opinions about Tract the guys running the company are stand up men. They stand behind their product and truly want to help guys out any way they can. Yes, time will tell how Tract holds up in the market. Sure they have a different business model but whose it say it won't work? Just imagine how much we could save in everything we bought he no middle man?
I'm pretty confident in my reading comprehension, listening, and observation skills. I get paid to do all three for a living. But I'll try to get even better. Thanks for the concern though.

I'll soldier on in my purported half-brained, dimwitted, dumbassed, poorly-skilled successes while you guys check out Tract optics and prove them out to be failures as a product and a business model. Have fun along the way, and have a good day.

I'm curious as to your profession or field of vocation.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Personally, I'm thinking about one of the 2-10's, since they're considerably more compact than the 3-15x, and at 18.6 ounces somewhat lighter.

I have been very pleased with mine. I've only put 892 rounds through it and the rifle, dialing much of the time, but it's been perfect so far.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I have been very pleased with mine. I've only put 892 rounds through it and the rifle, dialing much of the time, but it's been perfect so far.

That's the one I'd opt for, if I was looking for a scope. Lighter, more compact, good optics, seems like it tracks well based on these two responses.
A couple of notes on the 2-10x42 that don't get considered very often.

At 18.6 oz for a 1" scope it's a fairly heavy scope...some people say that to get a reliable/dependable scope it has to be heavy. This one carries a little weight in a fairly compact package.

After using a lot of different "tough" scopes over the past year I've found many of them are very finicky in how you have to use them. Things like having very little leeway for head placement on all powers, parallax settings must be exact or clarity/resolution are poor, change of head position/eye relief with change of power, fine reticles that are very hard to pick up in thick backgrounds and low light....etc. The 2-10x42 is a very easy to use scope regarding all of these things. Those things make little difference when shooting from the bench but can make a big difference when hunting. Of course, if it won't hold zero all of those positives don't amount to much, but if it is reliable holding zero and returning to zero (which the 2-10x42 has for me) all of those positive characteristics are very valuable to me in a hunting scope.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
A couple of notes on the 2-10x42 that don't get considered very often.

At 18.6 oz for a 1" scope it's a fairly heavy scope...some people say that to get a reliable/dependable scope it has to be heavy. This one carries a little weight in a fairly compact package.

After using a lot of different "tough" scopes over the past year I've found many of them are very finicky in how you have to use them. Things like having very little leeway for head placement on all powers, parallax settings must be exact or clarity/resolution are poor, change of head position/eye relief with change of power, fine reticles that are very hard to pick up in thick backgrounds and low light....etc. The 2-10x42 is a very easy to use scope regarding all of these things. Those things make little difference when shooting from the bench but can make a big difference when hunting. Of course, if it won't hold zero all of those positives don't amount to much, but if it is reliable holding zero and returning to zero (which the 2-10x42 has for me) all of those positive characteristics are very valuable to me in a hunting scope.

I am using the Toric 2-10x42 on two rifles. My experience mirrors JCMCUBIC's assessment of how easy it is to use and his use (and others) of it reassures me that it will continue to perform well under my much lighter use.
© 24hourcampfire