Home
Posted By: Sevastopol VX Freedom vs. FX-2 - 11/13/19
Hi. Looking to get a new scope and have both a 2.5x FX-2 and a 1-4x VX-2. I really like having close to 1x available, so my natural choice would be the new VX Freedom line (1.5-4x, IIRC). I was just wondering why you think a 1.5-4x20 VX-2 would cost less than a 2.5x20 FX-2. Manufacturing shortcuts? Lesser glass? This would go on a .32WS '94, so minimal recoil.

Thank you.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: VX Freedom vs. FX-2 - 11/13/19

The VX-Freedoms have the same glass as the VX-2's, instead the Freedoms have a design that is simpler to manufacture. Allegedly that doesn't make Freedoms better or lessor than the VX-2. Just uglier.......
Posted By: Sevastopol Re: VX Freedom vs. FX-2 - 11/13/19
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

The VX-Freedoms have the same glass as the VX-2's, instead the Freedoms have a design that is simpler to manufacture. Allegedly that doesn't make Freedoms better or lessor than the VX-2. Just uglier.......

Good to know, thank you. "Just uglier..." lol
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: VX Freedom vs. FX-2 - 11/14/19
Originally Posted by Sevastopol
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Good to know, thank you. "Just uglier..." lol

Tell you the same thing I tell my brother when he comments on the "ugly" deer I shoot. You can't eat pretty.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: VX Freedom vs. FX-2 - 11/14/19

lol.....true!
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: VX Freedom vs. FX-2 - 11/14/19
I have both.

The VX-Freedom is closer to the 1X you want, and is easier to get behind. It has less eye relief. I cannot comment on how tough it is, but is has withstood a fairly good amount of .458 SOCOM in a light AR-15, recoil calculating about 26 ft-lbs.

The FX-2 is a little more narrow in its FOV and the scope is a little harder to get into the best part of the eyebox. This scope has withstood numerous .45-70 rounds that generate about 40 ft-lbs in my Guide gun, and has eye relief out the yang-yang. I would dare say it is the tougher of the two.

I would have to ponder a while when making a choice for a .32 Winchester Special, I am thinking both have enough durability and eye relief for that round, so it would be a decision of FOV.

As an aside, the "clicks" on the VX-Freedom are real mushy. But, it has held zero on my SOCOM.
Posted By: Sevastopol Re: VX Freedom vs. FX-2 - 11/14/19
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I have both.

The VX-Freedom is closer to the 1X you want, and is easier to get behind. It has less eye relief. I cannot comment on how tough it is, but is has withstood a fairly good amount of .458 SOCOM in a light AR-15, recoil calculating about 26 ft-lbs.

The FX-2 is a little more narrow in its FOV and the scope is a little harder to get into the best part of the eyebox. This scope has withstood numerous .45-70 rounds that generate about 40 ft-lbs in my Guide gun, and has eye relief out the yang-yang. I would dare say it is the tougher of the two.

I would have to ponder a while when making a choice for a .32 Winchester Special, I am thinking both have enough durability and eye relief for that round, so it would be a decision of FOV.

As an aside, the "clicks" on the VX-Freedom are real mushy. But, it has held zero on my SOCOM.

Good information. Thank you.
© 24hourcampfire