Home
What are advantages/disadvantages between 6.5 Creed and 7-08? I think I have a pretty good handle on them but wonder if there is something I don’t know or haven’t thought about.

We will probably buy new in one of the entry level bolt rifles. With seasons over here this year we are biding our time with an eye out for a bargain. If the right deal comes along, new or used, a .243 or .308 would do. This will be primarily for blacktail deer in the wet jungle, but elk and black bear are on the local menu.
If you don't handload, the CM seems to have way more ammo availability. At least in my area. The CM seems really easy to get to shoot really well, at least from my examples. I don't think you would be able to tell the difference on animals.

If you do handload, either can be whatever you load it to be. I would have leaned toward the 7mm-08 based on past experience until I tried a couple Creedmoors.
Having owned both and shot both I'll vote for the 7MM-08 only because IMHO felt recoil seems to be less in the 7MM-08. When I've had rifles that are about 99% identical I always thought the 08 just didn't seem to kick as much or felt that way. The CM seemed more snappy if that makes sense?? But since you said for a young hunter it may make a difference??
7mm-08
Between those two, it’s a toss up. Ask the kid which one they want.
To me, it would depend on ammo/component availability and what bullet you want to shoot out of said rifle.
I'd go 7mm-08 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Taylor handloads and recoil to shooter size then party on.
They both kill shiiit just fine. 6.5 easier to find ammo for. More new production and used rifles available im sure. Probably twisted better from factory as well

It’s really not going to make or break them whichever way you go

I wouldn’t discount 243 or 6creed if they are recoil sensitive. And a 308 or 260 would do everything you listed also

Do you reload is the big question and should be a big deciding factor

If not 308, 6.5 creed, or 243 should be your options imo
I would favor the 7-08 if you are talking bears and elk on the menu. 7-08 ammo has been skimpy around here for a while. I just received an order from Norma on some 7-08 Whitetail variety for a friend along with .308 Win for me. At $16 a box for .308 and $20 a box for 7-08, couldn’t pass it up.
I love my 7mm08 and will keep using it but if I was starting over right now with zip looking for a deer rifle I would go with 6.5. For many reasons but mostly that ammo and rifle manufacturers have provided a lot of options.
6.5 Grendel. They may never need another rifle.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
To me, it would depend on ammo/component availability and what bullet you want to shoot out of said rifle.

Yep. The 7mm-08 is not as plentiful as the Creed for a factory-ammo shooter. Otherwise, I'd go with whichever rifle you happen to find in stock. Both are good choices.
Buying an entry level rifle for a new shooter to use for a few years, I'd go as small as I could find. I used a 700 in 243 for the kids to start killing stuff at age 8. No flinching developed and they had great success in the field. After a few years, simply buy a better quality slightly larger rig and roll on. I think the old 243 had a 4x weaver on it so they didn't screw around with the scope any.

Good luck either way.
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Having owned both and shot both I'll vote for the 7MM-08 only because IMHO felt recoil seems to be less in the 7MM-08. When I've had rifles that are about 99% identical I always thought the 08 just didn't seem to kick as much or felt that way. The CM seemed more snappy if that makes sense?? But since you said for a young hunter it may make a difference??

OM, that's interesting and probably due to the "rocket effect" given the .264" bore vs. the .284" bore. I've often found cartridges don't "feel" like recoil numbers indicate, and have always assumed bore size, given comparable platforms, accounted for most of the perceived difference.
Having both and having kids use both I say go with the 7mm08. If bigger game like you said elk and bear then defiantly the 7mm08 gets the nod.
Originally Posted by JPro

Yep. The 7mm-08 is not as plentiful as the Creed for a factory-ammo shooter. Otherwise, I'd go with whichever rifle you happen to find in stock. Both are good choices.
Agree.

And if OP is a hand loader.

If not, go Creed.

DF
Both would be an excellent choice. I have a crop of grandkids coming up and felt faced with the same decision last summer. I went with a 7mm-08. I consider it almost a coinflip sorta decision. On the positive side, it's an excuse to buy another rifle. : )
I've had a number of 7-08's. The cartridge just never did anything for me. OTOH, I really like the 6.5CM, and would be comfortable using it on everything here in MT. Aside from far more factory offerings, I also think the 6.5CM has an out of the box accuracy advantage.
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
If you don't handload, the CM seems to have way more ammo availability. At least in my area.

I think that's true in much of the country. Handloading aside, it can matter if the hunter needs to fly on a commercial airline to hunt.

Okie John
Originally Posted by Brad

OM, that's interesting and probably due to the "rocket effect" given the .264" bore vs. the .284" bore. I've often found cartridges don't "feel" like recoil numbers indicate, and have always assumed bore size, given comparable platforms, accounted for most of the perceived difference.

That is interesting....

I have two identical kimbers in each of the chamberings discussed here and can tell you without a doubt that the Creed is the softer shooter... and that's both running 140's.

The Creed has way more over the counter ammo offerings and it's a pretty simple task to tailor a low recoil load that would be a good trainer and work fine on deer.

I've killed enough Roosevelt elk with the Creed and my .260 to dismiss any idea that the 7mm will work better... hit for hit, there is no difference. I've killed elk with the 129 Interlock, 140 Federal Fusion and 140 Sierra spbt - no worries...

When I set my grandson's up with their 1st big game rifle, they'll both be in 6.5 Creed.
I was having the same debate last year when looking for a rifle for my son. In the end, I ended up getting a good deal on a Ruger Hawkeye in 6.5 CM from Mtnboomer. So far, he has used 123gr Scenars with good success on several deer. This year was his first year hunting elk, and for that I loaded some 140gr partitions and they worked just fine. I don't think you could go wrong either way, but I wouldn't dismiss the 6.5 where elk are concerned.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Cool pics! Walnut M77 is a classy way to go.
Originally Posted by Okanagan
What are advantages/disadvantages between 6.5 Creed and 7-08? I think I have a pretty good handle on them but wonder if there is something I don’t know or haven’t thought about.

We will probably buy new in one of the entry level bolt rifles. With seasons over here this year we are biding our time with an eye out for a bargain. If the right deal comes along, new or used, a .243 or .308 would do. This will be primarily for blacktail deer in the wet jungle, but elk and black bear are on the local menu.

For a bolt rifle...

Why a short action?

The .270 Winchester - has been the premier field cartridge for almost a hundred years... and just gets better w/ time.

What I got my boys, in the Mossberg Patriot Synthetic - Vortex Scoped Combos.

~ $400/pop.

GR
for the average hunters and their new youth hunters tuff to beat a 6.5 Creedmoor , i do like the 7mm-o8 too, because i am reloader i can and have loaded both of these fine cartridges. but at our hunting camp i have gave all members of the family a 257 Robert rifle to own and hunt with , because this way they all have the same cartridge and this grand old cartridge has some great old history with light recoil too. i feel we don`t need the family hunters need a new wiz bang cartridge , some of our 257 Roberts rifles do have new Brux barrel 8 twist barrels on them and shoot very well too, i am also rebarreling a Ruger #1 to a another 257 Roberts , Brux - 8 twist barrel too for me .
I vote 7-08 my rifle has been used on 3 cow hunts by young hunters and all 3 elk were drt. Plus they like shooting it at practice secession.
Including my wife.
6.5 for me. Many 6.5s come in rifles where the twist, chamber, and magazine are optimized for shooting higher BC loads. Also, there is a certain inertia of success with the 6.5 cal matched with a 140 grain bullet that’s too good to ignore 😊 Thanks, Sweden.
Actual killing capabilities are the same. Plus everybody and their brother is turning out good, stupid expensive, 6.5 factory ammo. I remember having to reload cuz rifle rounds were costing a DOLLAR. Now my components cost that …

The RAR in 6.5 is a great motivator.

I agree.
Creed for me. I like both, but there's more options for factory ammo with the creed, it's usually cheaper, and there's more low recoil options with the Creedmoor.
I’ve got both calibers. The 7-08 has more recoil IMO.
And I see lot more Factory Ammo available for the 6.5 CM.
If you don’t reload, I’d go with the Creed.

I can’t see any difference in how the two calibers kill game. Both work very well.
Don’t be a dumb azz and buy a good 308 based on your entire post .
6.5 for a variety of reason. Easier to find both rifles and ammo. Reasonably cheap ammo for 6.5 promotes more practice. 6.5 CM shoots really soft and I’ve never heard of one that didn’t shoot well.
Cool pics! Walnut M77 is a classy way to go.

Thank you! That was the one stipulation he had, he didn’t want a plastic gun. 😎
I’ve always wanted to like my 7mm-08s more than I actually have. The 6.5mm CM is at the confluence of a great many human factors.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I can’t see any difference in how the two calibers kill game. Both work very well.

^^^This^^^

Same experience with my 7mm 08 and 6.5 creed.
My daughter is shooting the 7 08 and my 9 year old granddaughter is shooting a 6.5 creed. If I had to pick just one for a youth, It would be the 6.5 creed.
Originally Posted by jc189
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^This^^^

Same experience with my 7mm 08 and 6.5 creed.
My daughter is shooting the 7 08 and my 9 year old granddaughter is shooting a 6.5 creed. If I had to pick just one for a youth, It would be the 6.5 creed.

I've had the opposite experience, My son has been shooting a model 7 synthetic 708 since he was 9. Recoil is nothing. I shot my buddys kimber hunter in the creed, it would absolutely stomp you. I couldnt imagine a kid shooting it. Was shooting 120nbt in model 7 and the kimber....and I'd consider the hunter and 7 similar sized guns. The model 7 does have a limbsaver on it. I just bought another 708 for myself since my son has taken over mine.
Originally Posted by killerv
I've had the opposite experience, My son has been shooting a model 7 synthetic 708 since he was 9. Recoil is nothing. I shot my buddys kimber hunter in the creed, it would absolutely stomp you. I couldnt imagine a kid shooting it. Was shooting 120nbt in model 7 and the kimber....and I'd consider the hunter and 7 similar sized guns. The model 7 does have a limbsaver on it. I just bought another 708 for myself since my son has taken over mine.

What I highlighted invalidates the comparison between cartridges.
Originally Posted by mathman

Yup - the Model 7 was often marketed as a kids first rifle. I can't imagine a worse platform to start a kid out on.
Originally Posted by elkchsr
I was having the same debate last year when looking for a rifle for my son. In the end, I ended up getting a good deal on a Ruger Hawkeye in 6.5 CM from Mtnboomer. So far, he has used 123gr Scenars with good success on several deer. This year was his first year hunting elk, and for that I loaded some 140gr partitions and they worked just fine. I don't think you could go wrong either way, but I wouldn't dismiss the 6.5 where elk are concerned.

GREAT!
Originally Posted by elkchsr

Nice. I like the walnut stock rifle a lot. That youngster needs a real shooting sling though.

Yup - the Model 7 was often marketed as a kids first rifle. I can't imagine a worse platform to start a kid out on.

That wasn't really where I was going.
New guy here. Enjoy reading the thread. Been hunting my entire life. Mainly deer. Grab a good bolt 243 win and run a 100 grain Hornady interlock at 2800 to 2900 fps and keep your knife sharp. Wont kick bad and will fill freezers no problem. I got my son a vanguard youth model. Very accurate and tough gun. Just my opinion. That heavier bullet from the -08 or creed will help with an elk though. A 6.5x55 would be cool.
My son was a smallish boy growing up. I took a Tikka T3, trimmed the stock, stuffed plastic sacks in the stock's butt, put a Conquest 3-9x on it, and downloaded 120 BT's to 2700fps. It was a very mild kicker, and a flat out game killing machine up through mule deer sized game, including many aoudad when we were pissed off at 'em and culling on friend's ranches. With today's bullets available in the 6.5CM, I don't see a bad choice between the two, especially if you will add a suppressor.....makes 'em both a real pussycat.
Originally Posted by Coyote10
New guy here. Enjoy reading the thread. Been hunting my entire life. Mainly deer. Grab a good bolt 243 win and run a 100 grain Hornady interlock at 2800 to 2900 fps and keep your knife sharp. Wont kick bad and will fill freezers no problem. I got my son a vanguard youth model. Very accurate and tough gun. Just my opinion. That heavier bullet from the -08 or creed will help with an elk thought. A 6.5x55 would be cool.
Welcome to the Fire.

DF

That wasn't really where I was going.

I realize that, but that's where I took it smile
I remember when the 7-08 was considered a lady's gun. Now it's a fire-breathing dragon. Hmm?

I do agree that the Model Seven is a sucky design for recoil. The only time I ever caught a scope in the brow was a M-7 in 7-08.
Thanks dirtfarmer, I think anything on a 308 case would do the trick. I remember when I was little I had to hunt with my dad's '06 and It would bust the hell outta me. Actually missed game because of the recoil. 7mm-08 would be a lifelong gun too. Never need anything bigger. Just had alot of luck with a 243 win. Fast twist for 105s and run 70s at coyotes.
Not sure about the fire breathing dragon, but I think most legit hunters have figured out you don't need a cartridge that requires a crash helmet and mouthpiece to kill big game animals.
I talked to a hunting buddy of mine the other day and he said he likes "near BB gun kick" whenever possible. Guy is probably 55yrs old, 6'3", 220lbs. He's got aches and pains and shoulder issues. We shoot a lot of 6.5CM, 7mm-08, .270Win, and .308Win at our hunting property. They aren't too rough on a guy, overall.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Not sure about the fire breathing dragon, but I think most legit hunters have figured out you don't need a cartridge that requires a crash helmet and mouthpiece to kill big game animals.

Do you really think that's what you need to shoot a 7-08?
Originally Posted by Teeder

Exactly the opposite of what I posted. Re-read it and try again.

I dont see how, similar size weight, lengths, in plastic stocks, only difference is recoil pad manufacturer, I dont know who makes the kimber. Kimber may be a little lighter, but we havent thrown scope setup in the mix either....

So full size guns are better to start youth out on?

I guess I'm a bad father, we'll just keep rockin and rollin with the model 7 in 708...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
👍

I dont see how, similar size weight, lengths, in plastic stocks, only difference is recoil pad manufacturer, I dont know who makes the kimber. Kimber may be a little lighter, but we havent thrown scope setup in the mix either....

So full size guns are better to start youth out on?

I guess I'm a bad father, we'll just keep rockin and rollin with the model 7 in 708...

The only thing I'm talking about is the fact that those two rifles have different stock geometries, and stock fit to the shooter is an important component of perceived recoil.
The hunter sure feels great, as good as the 7. My buddy has contemplated selling his, he usually shoots his 700 ss/syn he had chopped down to 20in in 708 or his 7 like mine in 708. But he got bit by the 6.5 bug. The hunter is punishing for both of us. We both werent expecting that kind of recoil. It wasnt just me. His daughter handed it back to him after she shot it also.

I did have a youth model 7 in wood stock in 708, it was rough. I agree that would be a terrible choice for a kid. I was reducing loading at the time for that gun but ended up getting rid of it.

I still have the old walnut model 7 243 my father bought me when I was nine.
It's almost certainly the way the rifles fit you folks, and/or recoil pads. If you look at the powder quantities, bullet weights and velocities for the two cartridges you'll see the physics of the situation says the recoil of the two cartridges can't be such that one is easy going and the other punishing.
So close, I would get same as a buddy w reload gear. We need to come together on this type stuff, will save us money and build friendship
We have a 6.5 CM and a 7mm-08 that our 3 boys have used on several deer and elk.

Assuming you reload.....if I had to pick one, it would be the 7mm-08, especially with elk on the menu. The 6.5 CM was better for when they were 10 and under because I could load up 100g BTs at 2700 FPS, which were very mild. Otherwise, the high BC 6.5 bullets don't give you much of an advantage at ranges most kids are capable of shooting at. The 6.5 was perfect for deer, though.

The 6.5 isn't very forgiving on elk with anything other than a boiler room shot, which is certainly possible with kids and field shooting conditions. The 7mm-08 with 140 ABs is a solid elk setup, kid or adult, and we usually get exit holes.
How is a 6.5 with a good 140 grain bullet noticeably less effective than a 7-08 shooting the same?
IMO. If you had the same exact rifles chambered in 6.5 CM and 7mm 08, and were Shooting factory ammo with the same bullet weight. Then you could do an apples to apples comparison regarding recoil. Otherwise its just speculation. I have and like both. There is no wrong choice here. I would choose the 6.5 CM simply on the availability of good factory ammo on the shelves
IIRC, you’ve “advanced” from 7RM to 7-08. Guess you’d take the bigger gun to Africa. But for most everything else….

DF
Right on Mr Dirt! Hope all is well with you.
My choice 7mm-08
How is a 6.5 with a good 140 grain bullet noticeably less effective than a 7-08 shooting the same?

We did find the wound channels with the 7mm-08/140 ABs to be more substantial, and penetration was also very good. With 100+ fps higher muzzle velocity and a little bigger bullet, those result seemed pretty reasonable. 6.5 was with 129 ABLRs and 130 ABs and usually found those under offside hide, where 7mm-08 w/140 ABs usually left a nickel to quarter sized exit. It's not going to make the difference between a dead or live elk, but I do have a more confidence in the 7mm-08 on elk based on our experience.

Exactly the opposite of what I posted. Re-read it and try again.

I re-read and tried again.
I think we're talking about different schit.

Of course, I may not be a legit hunter.
Look, the essence of my post is that things have changed amongst the general hunting public. IMO, the uber magnumi, hard kicking cartridges that many believed were necessary to kill deer are in the past. I was one of them. Super accurate, lighter kicking ones seem to be the trend nowadays and I'm one of those now, as I use shoot a lot of game with 6.5CM and 7-08, suppressed. They are a dream to shoot, and kill very efficiently.
No schit. I've been using a 7-08 since the 80's when they came out in the M-7.
The essence of my post was that the 7-08 used to be considered a pussycat to shoot and now some people act like it's a freaking .375 compared to the Creed.
No schit. I've been using a 7-08 since the 80's when they came out in the M-7.
The essence of my post was that the 7-08 used to be considered a pussycat to shoot and now some people act like it's a freaking .375 compared to the Creed.

Have watched the same evolution w/ the .270 Win.

From weak sister to the manly .30-06... to hard-kickin' beast to the gentle 6.5 CM.

Same round.

Just right.

GR
Originally Posted by cwh2
Creed for me. I like both, but there's more options for factory ammo with the creed, it's usually cheaper, and there's more low recoil options with the Creedmoor.

Yep.

Same hit with either caliber 140 g bullet will yield same result.
This has been good for me. I've learned a bit and sorted out my own mind some more. If the rifle were going to be mine, as a reloader my head says 7-08 and my heart says 6.5 Creed. laugh

This is for a smallish young woman who has no idea what she wants, yet. I looked at some more rifles today, (Ruger American, two versions of Savage Axis, Remington, Browning, surprised at how much I liked the Mossberg Patriot Bantam). They gave me a heads up about a Christmas sale coming.

We are one week into a leisurely quest, and if the right deal comes along in .308 I can load it down for her, though long term she should depend on factory loads. Thanks to all for the input, much appreciated.
My son was a smallish boy growing up. I took a Tikka T3, trimmed the stock, stuffed plastic sacks in the stock's butt, put a Conquest 3-9x on it, and downloaded 120 BT's to 2700fps.

Plastic bags? Who does that?

P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
My son was a smallish boy growing up. I took a Tikka T3, trimmed the stock, stuffed plastic sacks in the stock's butt, put a Conquest 3-9x on it, and downloaded 120 BT's to 2700fps.

Plastic bags? Who does that?

P

I assume he put weight in the bags. I've added weight to stocks to reduce recoil, and it is effective.
Asking the young gentleman, which of the two, or the rifle, he wants, may just be the way to go.

As an aside, and just because I want to talk about it, and nothing you can do about that, here is a thought on a gun for a young hunter:

Whay not start with a singleshot?

[Linked Image from content.wirjagen.de]

Bought such one in .308 Win. for my 14 year old. My idea was, to benefit from the virtual impossibility of any user induced mishaps.
Rifle is carried unloaded and loaded on stand. Rifle per default is uncocked until you get ready to shoot. After the shot, rilfe is obviously safe - as the cartridge is spent and the gun can not be opened while cocked.

To screw up, one would have to set aside a cocked rifle - thats about it. While realizing that we should never rely on mechanics to safety - complexity adds to the pressure.

Good on y'all getting young guys shooting.
Originally Posted by bonepoint
The 6.5 isn't very forgiving on elk with anything other than a boiler room shot, which is certainly possible with kids and field shooting conditions. The 7mm-08 with 140 ABs is a solid elk setup, kid or adult, and we usually get exit holes.

How does that work? 140s will come out of both at similar speeds, +/- 100 fps.
In essence much depends on the owner’s ability to either reload or not. If comparing 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08 Rem, or 308 WCF to a non handloader, the 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 WCF are way out front. The 308 WCF outstrips the 6.5 Creedmoor by quite a bit when you can buy 125, 130, 150, 155, 165, 168, 175, 178, 180 and 185 grain loads over the counter with several multiple bullet designs. The 6.5 Creedmoor has several bullet designs as well but less varying weights sold over the counter.

If a handloader, all three can be made to serve on 90+ percent of game pursued. The choice would be on how often large game (700-1300 lbs) is pursued. All three are fairly the same on game at 400 yards (6.5mm 140 gr, 7mm 150 gr, 7.62mm 165 gr), except wounding with a bigger bore and heavier .30 caliber 180 gr, or even 200 gr bullet load can offer some advantage on large game like elk and moose at or inside 250 yards. Obviously if you’re looking at 600 yard shots the 6.5mm and 7mm would be easier on wind drift, however with today’s technology in ranging, doping and scope use the 308 WCF is plenty capable. Beyond that the 6.5mm and 7mm are superior on paper and easier to make hits with.

All three behave well for bullet expansion due to impact velocities when compared to magnums. They offer speeds that balance well on bullet resistance, expansion and penetration using several types of bullet designs.

All can be loaded down with hunting hand loads and bullet weights giving 13-18 ft-lbs recoil level. The chosen chamber really depends on what you intend to predominantly use the rifle for.
Originally Posted by Goosey

Elk won’t tell. Dead elk don’t talk much anyway.

Statistically it takes a huge cohort (sampling) to establish confidence when measuring subtle differences. Less the difference, larger the required sampling.

So, what we mostly see in these situations are anecdotal conclusions that are not statistically sustainable.

And then throw in variables of bullet construction and type used, range, where hit, etc.

But, I do appreciate opinions and first hand experiences.

IMO.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Goosey

Elk won’t tell. Dead elk don’t talk much anyway.

Statistically it takes a huge cohort (sampling) to establish confidence when measuring subtle differences. Less the difference, larger the required sampling.

So, what we mostly see in these situations are anecdotal conclusions that are not statistically sustainable.

And then throw in variables of bullet construction and type used, range, where hit, etc.

But, I do appreciate opinions and first hand experiences.

IMO.

DF
Not sure why you guys humor a gunngrabber like goosefugger when she wants to talk rifles.
Started my boy with a loaded down 7mm08, either would work.
I'm a huge fan of the 7mm-08 and have owned 6 of them, including the one my daughter is currently shooting. I have never owned a 6.5CM, but if I was picking a new gun for a youth today (or adult for that matter), it would be a 6.5CM, based solely on ammo and component availability.

I don't think you could tell the difference in performance if you shot 100 deer. Elk......maybe 1 out of 100......maybe....
260 rem if you can find one.
What exactly does a 260 Remington do that a 6.5 Creedmoor won’t, except not accommodate long 6.5 bullet loads in a std 2.825” short action (SA).

That’s the reason Hornady picked up the 6.5mm and redefined it as a properly designed 6.5mm with 8 twist and a usable COAL without the seating and load complications for the average hunter or target user. Lapua also knew well and good that to operate high BC heavy bullets in a true SA with 6.5mm loads you’d need a reduced case length and their 6.5x47 was developed to do just that.

On another note, Remington never supports their cartridges very well. They threw in the towel on so many cartridges that carry the Remington name it’s hard to keep track. In fairness the 260 Remington development had little to do with Remington and more to do with the work of Jim Carmichael who developed it as the 6.5 Panther in the early 80s. In another twist Art Alphin of A-Square submitted SAAMI specs and drawings well before Remington did on the cartridge as the 6.5-08 A-Square. Somehow Big Green got the glory due to industry clout and the 260 Remington was born. It’s a great cartridge, it just has some COAL quirks when using full potential length 6.5mm projectiles. It does nothing in the field a 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55SE, 6.5x47 Lapua, or 6.5-06 won’t do using a 0.473” bolt on a std SA or LA.
... and the vast majority of hunters could get along fine with a bullet that has the BC of a sideways piece of dog crap and never know the difference.
Myself included. laugh
Not that the 260 has anything over the creed, which it really doesn't, just like the cartridge is all. I suggested that 6.5x55 se, and believe it to be the best 6.5 of all the non magnums. Also I've pulled the trigger on a 6.5-06 more times than I can count and was pretty impressed with it. But I bet you can shoot that 260 and never tell the difference on game from a 6.5-06. Creed might be the way to go. I just don't see why you'd shoot a 7-08 over a 260 rem. 140 is 140 bullet wise. Just my opinion.
Also, mag length, short action, long action, whatever. B.C. really don't come into play with a youth rifle or for a young hunter. It's not like they are gonna be taking long shots at game. Shots are generally gonna be inside 100 yards. So basically if it ignites powder and pushes a bullet out of the barrel, it will work with a good bullet. My son, like I said earlier just shoots a .243 win with a 100 grain bullet and inside 200 it's done if it hits chest cavity. But when he gets older and can shoot more efficiently I will rebarrel that gun to a 260. Go grab the caliber you feel is the best and have at it.
Also, mag length, short action, long action, whatever. B.C. really don't come into play with a youth rifle or for a young hunter. It's not like they are gonna be taking long shots at game. Shots are generally gonna be inside 100 yards. So basically if it ignites powder and pushes a bullet out of the barrel, it will work with a good bullet. My son, like I said earlier just shoots a .243 win with a 100 grain bullet and inside 200 it's done if it hits chest cavity. But when he gets older and can shoot more efficiently I will rebarrel that gun to a 260. Go grab the caliber you feel is the best and have at it.

+1
260 rem if you can find one.

I was at a cookout and a kid in his early 20s got to telling me about a m77 compact 260 he had, I told him sight unseen that I'd give him 600 bucks for it, dude left and came back with it. Score! Sweet round.

Those little M77 Compact rifles are good candidates for a suppressor.
Those little M77 Compact rifles are good candidates for a suppressor.

Barrel thick enough for the 5/4 threading?
I'd think you could get by with 1/2" threads, but a caliper might be useful to see for sure. With a .264 bore, the 1/2" threads should result in a wall that is strong enough for a hunting rifle.
That's a sweet little rifle. Nice find.
.260's work for old farts, too.

[Linked Image]

The low BC of a Hornady bullet (made before they were called Interlocks) was no hinderance at 60 yards.
I'd think you could get by with 1/2" threads, but a caliper might be useful to see for sure. With a .264 bore, the 1/2" threads should result in a wall that is strong enough for a hunting rifle.

Ran across this

Yeah, you will get varying opinions on the 1/2" threads, especially if talking 7mm and 30cal. Still, several members here have mentioned going that route on Montana's and the like, with no ill effects. They aren't semi-auto battle rifles. If all I could manage on an existing 6.5mm was 1/2" and it would greatly improve the usefulness of the rifle, I would do it. But that's just me. Having no idea how small the OD of the muzzle is, you might even need a collar for acceptable shoulder engagement.
.260's work for old farts, too.

[Linked Image]

The low BC of a Hornady bullet (made before they were called Interlocks) was no hinderance at 60 yards.

Great buck! Love the mass.
That entirely depends on the youth and how they spend their time in preparation.
Agree on the preparation. But you can prepare with a 22 long rifle.
Ballistic coefficient, twist rate, cartridge length, seating depth and all that jazz don't matter at all with a youngster shooting game within 200 yards.
Ww1
Ballistic coefficient, twist rate, cartridge length, seating depth and all that jazz don't matter at all with a youngster shooting game within 200 yards.
^ ^ ^ ^ this

JMHO- if the kid can hold and carry their own
rifle, they're likely grown up enough to use one
and hunt deer. I see a lot of people in my area
that ask about hunting guns for kids that have
barely mastered walking around and can't use
the adult toilet yet. Many still aren't mature
enough even after that
Agree with your statement, but disagree that those are necessary constraints for all young shooters/hunters. Sure, they can practice with a .22 and limit their shots to 200 yards, but they can also practice and prepare with CF rifles, get involved in local PRS-style matches, etc., as they are getting into hunting. I've seen a young boy that did exactly that take his first deer at 70 meters from a solid rest. The next day he took his second deer at 355 meters, with some wind, from a standing position while holding the rifle against the side of a straw bale; a position that he had practiced a bunch and used successfully in PRS-style matches, in the wind, out to 500 meters. It doesn't hurt that he was set up with a rifle/scope/bullet/load combination that he can use in practice/competition as well as on game.

If the young person is prepared and practiced with a rifle, they can be capable of taking advantage of slippery bullets where BC, twist rate, mag length, etc., does matter.
From my experience with my son, I have limited him to 200 yards thus far. He is only 8. When he progresses at ethically taking game I will give him a longer leash on shots he can try. But a 350 yard shot for him right now is out of the question. And he has killed quite a few deer. But hey whatever the responsible adult with the kid thinks, then go for it. Each their own.
Originally Posted by Ready
Asking the young gentleman, which of the two, or the rifle, he wants, may just be the way to go.

As an aside, and just because I want to talk about it, and nothing you can do about that, here is a thought on a gun for a young hunter:

Bought such one in .308 Win. for my 14 year old. My idea was, to benefit from the virtual impossibility of any user induced mishaps.
Rifle is carried unloaded and loaded on stand. Rifle per default is uncocked until you get ready to shoot. After the shot, rilfe is obviously safe - as the cartridge is spent and the gun can not be opened while cocked.

To screw up, one would have to set aside a cocked rifle - thats about it. While realizing that we should never rely on mechanics to safety - complexity adds to the pressure.

That rifle likely has a transfer bar. So even if dropping it somehow let the hammer fall, it won’t go off unless the trigger is held back.
Not that the 260 has anything over the creed, which it really doesn't, just like the cartridge is all. I suggested that 6.5x55 se, and believe it to be the best 6.5 of all the non magnums. Also I've pulled the trigger on a 6.5-06 more times than I can count and was pretty impressed with it. But I bet you can shoot that 260 and never tell the difference on game from a 6.5-06. Creed might be the way to go. I just don't see why you'd shoot a 7-08 over a 260 rem. 140 is 140 bullet wise. Just my opinion.
Is the PRC a magnum?

I don’t need a new rifle. But the 6.5 PRC looks real appealing. I mean if someone wants to buy into the long range game, it’s a fairly docile high speed high BC round.

Picking a 7-08, Swede, 260, or 6.5-06 is going to favor the reloader anyway. And choices in new rifles would likely favor the 6.5 PRC.

The 7-08 probably wins in a compact rifle over the rest though. Because it is maybe the most efficient of this group with a short barrel.
Our Tikka 7-08 compact has been killing a lot of deer with 120 BT.
My Tikka SL doing the same with 120 BT..

My other 7-08 shooting 150 eldx,

7-08 hint.
From my experience with my son, I have limited him to 200 yards thus far. He is only 8. When he progresses at ethically taking game I will give him a longer leash on shots he can try. But a 350 yard shot for him right now is out of the question. And he has killed quite a few deer. But hey whatever the responsible adult with the kid thinks, then go for it. Each their own.
I'm with you there. It's important to recognize the limitations and stay within them.
The 6.5 manbun is gay. 7-08 all the way.
I'd never insult my kids by buying them anything Creedmoor .... ever ...

Memories last a lifetime, don't pollute your kids memories
I own both, and personally prefer the 7mm08. I handload. For someone that doesn’t and is relying on factory ammo, I’d recommend the 6.5 Creed due simply to availability concerns.
Originally Posted by Alex38
I own both, and personally prefer the 7mm08. I handload. For someone that doesn’t and is relying on factory ammo, I’d recommend the 6.5 Creed due simply to availability concerns.
6.5 just because of availability.
I own both 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor and like them both. But for a young and new hunter, get the Creedmoor.

A young man could do far worse than that for a starter scope. 😎

I should like to come see the lad again before he starts shaving.

FC

Flip a coin...not a lot of difference other than ammo availability.
@ Dollarshort You know, what? You just might be right there. Thx.

@ FC Sorry. You are always welcome to visit, but there ist only one guy now in this house not shaving and he is 5 by now. The one you are thinking of - well, a fine lad he grew up to be, but that ship has sailed. Time, she is a running fast...

Sorry to the OP, I disgress...

Personally, a 7mm-08 speaks to me more as it is almost a 7x57 Mauser - and that is all I have to say about that.
Personally, a 7mm-08 speaks to me more as it is almost a 7x57 Mauser ...

... but without the Mauser's difficulties for lack of a better term.

+1

I also have owned both, just checked ammoseek and there is plenty of 7mm-08 ammo starting at $19.75 a box.
this says it all smile

For an update: am leaning toward buying a Savage Axis XP compact for her, in 6.5 Creed. Got a good-but-not-great deal on a new one from a local source and can make it a Christmas present. Iffy reviews of the Mossberg Patriot Bantam and on the Ruger American clip/magzine are influencing me. I may figure out a way for her to shoot or at least handle a Ruger and an Axis before we buy. Hope so.

She has shot a .30-06 without daunting her (don't know bulllet weight) but she told me she has trouble holding up a full length bolt rifle for very long in a stand-up off hand position.
I bought a Patriot. Can't recommend them despite some decent features for such a cheap rifle.
If you pursue the RAR, just avoid the rotary mag.

In general I agree, but the two RARs in 6.5 Creedmoor I've owned have fed well from the rotary magazine.

Might also comment that I've seen a BUNCH of big game of various sizes taken with not only the 6.5 Creedmoor but the .260 Remington and 6.5x55--along with the 7mm-08 and 7x57. Have also been beside other hunters who used the same rounds, using various bullets. I have yet to be able to see any difference in "killing power" with any of them, and would even throw in the .270 Winchester. The two major differences I see in all those rounds are:

1) Recoil--which tends to be less in the 6.5s, though that also depends on the rifle's weight, and fit to the specific shooter.

2) Availability of factory ammunition or brass/bullets for handloaders. (Aside from all that, 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo tends to be more accurate than any of the other cartridges mentioned.)
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

In general I agree, but the two RARs in 6.5 Creedmoor I've owned have fed well from the rotary magazine.
It seems like some people have no issues, but many do. I personally have owned two in 6.5 CM and spent a fair bit of time with another that all had problems with the rotary mag. Of course, all three were fed long pointy bullets at near mag length, which is likely part of the problem.
I’m voting 7mm-08
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Might also comment that I've seen a BUNCH of big game of various sizes taken with not only the 6.5 Creedmoor but the .260 Remington and 6.5x55--along with the 7mm-08 and 7x57. Have also been beside other hunters who used the same rounds, using various bullets. I have yet to be able to see any difference in "killing power" with any of them, and would even throw in the .270 Winchester. The two major differences I see in all those rounds are:

1) Recoil--which tends to be less in the 6.5s, though that also depends on the rifle's weight, and fit to the specific shooter.

2) Availability of factory ammunition or brass/bullets for handloaders. (Aside from all that, 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo tends to be more accurate than any of the other cartridges mentioned.)

Yea, I was in the small town sporting goods store where my brother lives talking to my nephew about his upcoming first cow elk hunt. I told him "just take my CM and some factory 143's and have at it. Tell me how it went when you get back."

Apparently the gun counter guy overheard me and volunteered that the only proper cartridge to point at an elk is a 300 WM. Laughing, I told him he needed to get out more, and by the looks of him he hadn't done that very thing in a long, long time.

My brother later told me he had to go back to soothe old Mr. Gun Guy's feelings as he apparently didn't like having his sagacity stomped on like that.

Oh, well.
I just started shooting Hornady Custom Lite 125 grain bullets in my little 30-06 Merkel K3. It weighs in at about 6 pounds and thumps pretty good shooting full strength 180 grainers. The Custom Lites shoot great and have very little recoil. I think Hornady sells these in 7mm08 too. FYI.

Mackey

As much as I like to geek out on BC, recoil, etc., for the uses stated I would be fine with any of your choices (.243, 6.5 Creedmoor. 7mm-08, .308).

I'm not a big .308 fan per se, but we have TONS of factory ammo locally for that cartridge. Way more selection than the others, including 6.5 Creedmoor. Not sure if factory ammo matters to you though.
PS - I hunted with a .308 this year. Rifle was for my kids but I fell in love with the thing during load development. I still like the 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor, but with 16" barrel and can the .308 was hard to resist. It hammers with 150 handloads, and doesn't give up much to the others if running shorter barrels on each for extended ranges.
I would go 7-08, my wife and I both shoot one a fair bit and have taken 25+ elk with ours using 140 grain accubonds.

My 2 nephews both shoot 7-08's as well and have killed pronghorn, deer, and elk with them. One uses 120 grain ballistic tips, the other is shooting 139 grain interlocks.
I've used both. Deer won't know the difference. Pick either and go kill stuff.
Originally Posted by Mackey
I just started shooting Hornady Custom Lite 125 grain bullets in my little 30-06 Merkel K3. It weighs in at about 6 pounds and thumps pretty good shooting full strength 180 grainers. The Custom Lites shoot great and have very little recoil. I think Hornady sells these in 7mm08 too. FYI.

Mackey
Hunting bud and I are really liking 125/130 gr ‘06 loads on local WT’s and hogs. At 3K+ fps, really whacks’em.

DF

For your purposes, I would choose the 7mm-08.
I helped a young man harvest his elk yesterday day with my 7-08 Hornady 140. The bullet passed though both front shoulders. Elk took two steps and dropped. Complete pass though. This is the 4th elk taken with this rifle and load. I am definitely impressed with the 7-08.
Do you mean 139gr?
Oops yes
© 24hourcampfire