Home
Posted By: Coyote10 Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
Just wondering what ya'll carry while hunting, or use after the kill. I'm a big fan of cold steel lately. I bought a SRK and that sucker is tough. Holds an edge real good. I've used it to gut, skin, debone, heck I've even split firewood with it.
I like Cold Steel. I know that Lin caught a lot of chit back in the day for his over the top advertising but I’ve always liked the products and liked the ads.

I have a few Marbles some that I use and some that I just collect. I like Rapid River and Bark River. I have a Hess and Blind Horse that I like. My go to hunting and camp knife is a Cold Steel US made Master Hunter. I like the blade profile, it holds an edge and touches up pretty easily. The handle feels good and it has a reversible sheath which I like as a lefty.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
I have a Busse SAR4 and a Blind Horse patch knife I keep in my pack sharpened up and ready to go. But honestly most of the time I just use my pocket knife. GEC jumbo trapper, carbon steel easy to get razor sharp and touch up if needed, big enough to handle any dressing and quartering task I’ve ever encountered. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Teal Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
One my great-uncle made for me. Basically a Marble's copy with some of their steel from back in the day.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
I use a case folder
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
Randall#25 Skinner.
Posted By: Winnie70 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
Gerber Gator
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
Dozier Yukon Pro. I have Ingram #1 and Lite Hunter as well as a Mike Miller Lite Hunter that are beautiful, wonderful knives, but the synthetic handle and horizontal Kydex sheath on the Yukon Pro just fits rough duty better to my senses.
Posted By: DLSguide Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
Tim Olt Loveless style
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
A Buck 110 that I've had since mid 70s and a KOA Alpha Wolf S30V.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
Buck zipper with gut hook. Nothing fancy just gets the job done. Also carry a Havalon with extra blades for skinning and light duty tasks.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
I've used a Schrade Old Timer folder for maybe 40 years. This year I splurged $30 and bought an Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife. I've used it on 1 deer and 1 elk so far. It works very well. I don't think the blades hold an edge as long as some guys say they do, but 2 blades gutted and skinned an elk.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]
Posted By: pointer Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
I'm a big fan of the replaceable scapel bladed knives (Havalon, Gerber Vital). That said, the more I use it, the more I appreciate my dad's old Schrade Old Timer Sharpfinger. It does a whole let well enough, but honestly I think I enjoy that it was his as much as anything.
Posted By: OGB Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
I have had great luck with cold steel knives. Not very "refined" but a lot of knife for the money.

The last several deer have been gutted and skinned with the cheap "pendelton hunter". I like the size and shape, the steel is good (Carbon V?) and for about $18 if I lose it, I can replace it.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I like Cold Steel. I know that Lin caught a lot of chit back in the day for his over the top advertising but I’ve always liked the products and liked the ads.

I have a few Marbles some that I use and some that I just collect. I like Rapid River and Bark River. I have a Hess and Blind Horse that I like. My go to hunting and camp knife is a Cold Steel US made Master Hunter. I like the blade profile, it holds an edge and touches up pretty easily. The handle feels good and it has a reversible sheath which I like as a lefty.
I have a Bark River Canadian Belt Knife I ordered with a burled handle and mosaic bolsters. Like it. BIL gave me a simple smallish CRKT drop point non-folder and I find myself using the heck out of it. Don't know the model.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

I have a Bark River Canadian Belt Knife I ordered with a burled handle and mosaic bolsters. Like it. BIL gave me a simple smallish CRKT drop point non-folder and I find myself using the heck out of it. Don't know the model.

Have several Grohman Canadian belt knives and like/used them for years.
Last couple of years I just use the Havalon or OE.
It's just too easy.
Posted By: tail_hunter Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
Outdoor Edge Flip n' Zip
Buck 192
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
I jump around because I'm a knife slut.

I've always got a Ingram in my bag or truck just in case but I cleaned the 3 deer we have killed so far with a phil wilson bird and trout knife this year.

Muzzleloader season is in here until the 6th or 7th of Jan. If we kill another one I'm gonna use a buck 118 that my dad gave my granddad in the 70s.
Make mine an Old Timer 125ot Mustang

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: shortfinger Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
Knives of Alaska Pronghorn Hunter. That's the one and only knife I needed to gut, skin, and de-bone my elk in the field this year.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

I have two of those
Posted By: CRAGGAR Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
KNIVES OF ALASKA-ELK HUNTER
Little razors they are
Posted By: GettingTime Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
I’ve been using a Great Eastern Cutlery #73 for about a decade now. Field dressing, skinning and quartering all with the same knife. I can usually do a couple if I’m not careless with the edge and give it a good strop afterwards.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
Surprised to see all the folders. Very cool. I got an old buck trapper that I can get razor sharp. Guts and skins good. Like a little longer blade for deboning. Seems like the old timer sharp finger was in on about every kill growing up. Wonder if they still make a good one? I like the cold steel stuff also because if I need to abuse it, it can normally take it.
Posted By: JGray Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by MikeL2

I used a KOA Alpha Wolf S30V for quite a few years - good knife. This year I used a Lee Baumgart I bought here on the 'fire and it's now a favorite. I field dressed 6-7 deer and it stayed shaving sharp through all of it with a couple of quick touch ups on a leather strop. I'm very impressed...

Posted By: Ralphie Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
A bright orange havalon. I’m sold on the replaceable blade knives.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
Buck Vanguard or buck 110.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
Buck 110
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by JGray

I used a KOA Alpha Wolf S30V for quite a few years - good knife. This year I used a Lee Baumgart I bought here on the 'fire and it's now a favorite. I field dressed 6-7 deer and it stayed shaving sharp through all of it with a couple of quick touch ups on a leather strop. I'm very impressed...

If it cuts as good as it looks, it is a winner!
I have quite a few knives I like but I probably use my Buck Alpha folding knife the most.

I like that knife. Sweet shape to it.
Posted By: Brad Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
Grohmann / DH Russell Canadian Belt Knife no.1

Posted By: Bill_N Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
Gerber folder. Can’t remember the model name but it’s small. Stays razor sharp.
Posted By: GoWyo Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/22
Whatever I sharpened last. I have an old Gerber exchange a blade that holds an edge indefinitely. Id like to find a saw blade for that. I lost it in the divorce…Uncle Henry LB-7, James Largent sheath knife…
Originally Posted by Brad

That’s a beautiful knife & decent Binos 😜

(Joking cuz I have the same binos & love them)
Posted By: JGray Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by cwh2

If it cuts as good as it looks, it is a winner!

Thanks - I kept expecting it to need sharpening but it just keeps on cutting. It really is a great size/blade shape, and Lee obviously nailed the heat treat.

Thanks - I have drawer full of production and custom knives and this one of the last ones I'd part with.
Here is another one I'm partial to but haven't given it the workout I have with the Baumgart. From Mike Miller...

Thanks - I have drawer full of production and custom knives and this one of the last ones I'd part with.

Is that maker still making knives?
Posted By: JoshK Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
My Buck 103. Had it for 25 plus years. Love that thing.

Attached picture 06A1C2AA-C5FC-4B58-BA3B-6FAB21C0BAB1.jpeg
Posted By: CRS Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
My problem is I like them all.

Is that maker still making knives?

I'm not sure - I was pleased enough with this knife this fall, I got to thinking a matching skinner model to go with it would be nice. With that thought, I attempted to look him up on the forums and haven't seen any posts from him in the last couple of years. He was more active on the Accurate Reloading site than here. I believe he's in Washington state.

Here is his intoductory post on the 'fire:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11914993/1

Here is the post where my knife is detailed:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...custom-bird-and-trout-knife#Post14177518
Posted By: Brad Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
That’s a beautiful knife & decent Binos 😜

(Joking cuz I have the same binos & love them)

A man of fine taste grin
Posted By: ranger1 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
I'm not much of a knife snob. Nicest one I own is a Bark River drop point in D2 with cocobola scales. I generally just use my Kershaw Ken Onion folder or an Outdoor Edge folder with replaceable blades. I don't mind the Havalon knives and keep one in my bino pack, but the flimsy blades aren't my favorite.
Posted By: CRS Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
Buck 110
Gerber
KOA
Gene Ingram
Hollinger
LT Wright
Schrade
Benchmade
TOPS
Boos
Helle
Jelio Tenev
Victorinox
replaceable blade knives
etc, etc, etc.....
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Just wondering what ya'll carry while hunting, or use after the kill. I'm a big fan of cold steel lately. I bought a SRK and that sucker is tough. Holds an edge real good. I've used it to gut, skin, debone, heck I've even split firewood with it.

I am knife poor. That said, lately I have been carrying one or two Bucklite Max Fixed Blades one small, one large with orange handles. They cut well, resharpen easily and I can find them if I put them down.

I have similar sets from Benchmade (Steep Country Hunter), Gerber Gators, Bark River and so on.

In addition to the Buck I carry a Victoronix Super Tinker, Leatherman Wave and a folding saw. If elk hunting, I often carry a small Estwing hatchet. This is for hunts where we are back in 2-7 miles. My Wave and a small fixed blade works fine on deer near a road.
Posted By: ADNA Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
Buck 110 with finger grooves from late 70s
Posted By: shaman Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
I carry a Buck 110 Folding Hunter in the field. I also have a K-Bar Dozier folder stashed for a backup.

However, most of our gutting gets done back at the meatpole. I keep Buck 113 Ranger there for doing most of the work.

A recent addition to the Meatpole was the Gerber Vital Zip. This thing really makes the job of opening up a deer a lot simpler. It uses regular utility knife blades

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]
Posted By: saddlering Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
Jim Behring. Treeman knife, Mike Millers Rick Macfees, I tend to idea different knife, for different seasons.
Posted By: fshaw Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by Dude270

I've always got a Ingram in my bag or truck just in case but I cleaned the 3 deer we have killed so far with a phil wilson bird and trout knife this year.

Muzzleloader season is in here until the 6th or 7th of Jan. If we kill another one I'm gonna use a buck 118 that my dad gave my granddad in the 70s.

Any chance of seeing a picture of that bird and trout?
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
Tim Olt "Loveless" drop point.......

Same

[Linked Image]
Posted By: centershot Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
Custom knives are neat, but as practical as the replaceable blade knives are (Outdoor Edge, etc) - they are what go in my pack.
Posted By: Garandimal Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
5" Ka-Bar.

- Re-ground to 20°.
- Top guard removed.
- handle wire brushed, hot Sno-Seal impregnated, w/ O-ring washers.

GR
Posted By: hanco Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
My boy made me these two, have a Buck I’ve used for 50 years also.

Posted By: LBP Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
Seeing as I can’t sharpen a knife for Shiit I’d say my Havalon Piranta.
Posted By: EdM Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
I've used a Spyderco Delica more than any other.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by fshaw

Any chance of seeing a picture of that bird and trout?

No problem,

It's a Sprig with a 3.75" blade magna cut at 62rc

Phil Wilson knows what he is doing! It is a cutting machine.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
Outdoor edge replaceable blade with the orange rubber handles so I don't set it down and lose it. Carry this one hand operated Spyderco everywhere

Posted By: SKane Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
Charlie May Trace

Posted By: sbhooper Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
There are lots of good knives to choose from, depending on how much money you want to spend. The bottom line on all of them, is that you learn how to properly sharpen them. The best steel in the world is of little use, if you are incapable of sharpening them. The cheapest knife will do the job, as long as you can stop and sharpen it back up to par.

I have several knives that are all great, but I prefer the ones that are of D-2, S30V, etc. I like the better-quality steels, as they hold an edge better.

I have a few Bucks, which are great knives for the price. They are good, because of buck's heat treating process. They use mediocre steel in most of their knives, but they do well, because they are properly hardened. I have two custom knives-one with D-2 and one with 440C. The 440 C is an older standard, but this knife is very good, again, because of the hardness factor.

I have some Old Timer-type knives that are pre-China that are good for average use. They sharpen well and quickly. They just do not hold the edge like the better steels do.

My go-to for most daily deer duties (and that is a lot for me, as I kill several a year) is one of two SOG knives that are of S30V steel. They are very good knives and small enough to be handy.

I would have to say that my favorite production knife, is my Benchmade folder. D-2 steel and very good construction.

Some people look at knives like artwork and collect them. I like a nice knife, but will not own anything that I am scared of scratching at some point. Ultimately, they are a tool to me-just like a rifle. Every knife that I own has been used on a critter at some point.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22

This season I carried 2 knives in my pack. 1) Cold Steel mini Pendleton. Cheap, UL, and no concerns about accidentally closing it on my fingers. 2) Benchmade Steep Country. I really like this pair.

I have 3 SRKs. The first was in San Mai. It has skinned and disassembled a deer or two or three. I have flattened the edge angle on it a bit for that use so I'm not sure I'd want to baton wood with it, might break a chunk out. The second was the Compact model. Figured for $35 or something like that it was worth a try. I like it .. like the smaller size and lighter weight. Wish it were available in one of their higher grade stainless steels. The most recent is the CPM 3V version. I can't put my finger on it but there's something vaguely different in the dimensions from that first knife and I like this even better, but I'm not going to change the blade angle, I'm going to keep it pretty much as is for all around use.

I also have a Recon Scout in CPM 3V. It's marginally too big for my uses. Probably will go in a lock box in the truck along with a small saw for building lunch fires or the like. I don't really see lugging it around. Oops.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by SKane
Charlie May Trace

Nice knife. The deer is ok too I guess.

Congrats on a toad!
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
George Herron Number Two is about as good as it gets. Mine has many, many pickup beds of dead critters to its credit.

Blessings and Merry Christmas, my friends.

Steve
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
Coyote10;
Good afternoon, I hope that wherever this finds you, it finds you warm, well and dry.

Thanks for the thread and as always thanks as well to the members who've contributed to make it interesting reading.

Since I'm a lifelong self confessed knife addict, I had to think for a bit to narrow it down to a single one - which I really cannot...

But if pressed I'd go with a Kershaw 1030TF that my wife bought me for one of our first Christmas's together close to 40 years back.

[Linked Image]

In my back pocket during hunting seasons for the past dozen or so years is this Vantage Pro which I redid the scales to Blaze Orange shortly after I got it.

[Linked Image]

The fixed blade gets switched out a wee bit as I've fooled with other blade shapes and steel, but the Buck is always along.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Dwayne
Posted By: wldthg Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
Skane---- the first knife that caught my eye was that large Machete blade sticking out of that bucks head ---- What a buck
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
This has been a favorite of mine as it's design and how well it holds and edge. It is from Dave Kauffman, Montana City, Montana. He is one of the best knife makers, you will ever find...

Posted By: SLM Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
Dam, very nice.

Charlie May Trace

Posted By: SLM Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
This one probably gets used the most.

What a beauty. I have only one Phil Wilson, exceptional knives.

Thank you and Merry Christmas
To you and yours.

Frank
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
BC30cal
Well using a knife for 40 years, and I can tell you use on alot, I'm getting that Kershaw 1030TF if I xan find one. Way cool. Merry Christmas

Also shrapnel, not only is that a cool knife, that Mauser rifle ain't to shabby neither. Awesome
Originally Posted by dogzapper
George Herron Number Two is about as good as it gets. Mine has many, many pickup beds of dead critters to its credit.

Blessings and Merry Christmas, my friends.

Steve

Steve,

Good to seeing you posting here again. I always enjoyed reading your posts, and I appreciate your knowledge and experience.

Though I’ll likely (sadly) never have a George Herrron Number Two, I was able to find a Geno Denning model that is very similar. I hear he had a good mentor.

Merry Christmas to yours as well.

Framk
Posted By: jc189 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/22
A couple of M. Millers that I got here on the Fire, and a McCroskey skinner.

Posted By: Dude270 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
Originally Posted by fshaw
What a beauty. I have only one Phil Wilson, exceptional knives.

Thank you and Merry Christmas
To you and yours.

Frank

Frank, thanks for the compliment. That is the only Wilson I have as well. I'm blown away by how it cuts.

I'd like to see the one you got from Phil as well sometime too.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year

Brandon
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
This L. O. Albach Apache Hunter model.

Posted By: GWPGUY Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
Hey, BC30cal, good choice on the Kershaw I got one to with the Orange handle. Cold steel Pendleton is another handy one, if lost,,,,,, buy another one. The choices for knives is unbelievable today. Our fathers just bought whatever the local hardware store had in stock. Barlow or case in a stock man, one blade for cutting bailer twine, one for skinning muskrats, main blade saved for serious work. We are pretty spoiled we are. Have about 8 drawers full of them, to many to use now. May keep some main ones, a few centimentles & start handing them out to some kids. Still a few youngsters in the bush not playing vid games. GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
Ya Steve good to hear from ya, you cost me a lot of money over the years, well worth it though yr a good mentor. Whose the guy that George taught? He still makes a knife pretty close to George's style. I think AG Russel sells one from him in 440 S/S production model. Have a good Christmas & a great New Year I hope everyone has a great Christmas & a good New Year. GWP 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
Just had this one made in Sept by Bill Poor @ Flatland Forge in Texas

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Flatland Forge Custom Knives
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
Each of these knives has been used to dress deer and elk at least once.
Top row right to left
Old Timer my wife got me before we were married over 48 years ago. Used it several years.
Buck 450 that got lots of use
CRKT Lake 111
Case 2254
Chris Reeve Small Sebenza 21

Bottom row right to left
Dozier Yukon Pro that has been used more than the rest because of the synthetic handle and horizontal Kydex sheath
Mike Miller Lite Hunter, gets used plenty especially when I’m butchering the meat
Ingram #1 S30V spalted maple
Ingram Lite Hunter S30V splayed maple
Those Ingrams work really well, but I’m just kind of leery of getting them dirty. Too nice to look at.
Posted By: WMR Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
I’ve got a few nice knives including several customs. Still the most used is a plastic handled two blade 4in folder. The main blade is easy to sharpen and the serrated blade zips through the rib cartilage aside the breast bone. I open the deer up to the top of the chest, making it clean and easy to remove the innards. I couldn’t guess how many dozens of deer I’ve done with it.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
I lose knives like they're beer empties. I have several decent fixed blades and folders scattered throughout the west. My favorite was an older fixed blade that didn't have any markings other than "Made in Germany". It held a really good edge. It has been somewhere in Devil's Playground WSA in Wyoming since 2012.

I mainly use a havalon piranta these days, though I have random other knives in various places in the house and vehicle. I suck ass at sharpening anyhow.
Posted By: JENKINS9 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
Buck 110 in the field and a buck 103, 118, and 393 for skinning and quartering.
Posted By: Keith1 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
I have lots of knives but my favorite is a Bark River Gameskeeper in 4V steel. It’s worked on lots of meat.
Posted By: Dobegrant Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
Have so many I like and have used, buck, cold steel, Gerber, grohmann,blackjack, case, but the one I have used the most and would be the one is Puma Hunters Companion 116394
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
I gutted and skinned a cow elk about 6 days ago with a 2 blade case trapper. I didn't have my usual sheath knife as it was in my backpack about 300 yards away. I did have to touch up the blades with a 6" sharpening steel which I wear on my belt.
Posted By: Nykki Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
I use a Helle Drye Vaa I bought 40 years ago. I also have a Helle folder that I like.
Posted By: carrollco Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
I’m old school kinda like Ole 270. Have about large folders like his Old Timer ; top row right: 1 Old Timer 2 blade folder,
1 single blade Old Timer, 1 Kabar 2 blade folder; 1 Case 2 blade large folder, 1 Case single blade folder. I have also Case. Trapper in carbon and one in SS; Buck fixed blade and Buck 110; Browning fixed blade in brass handle with walnut inserts- 3” blade; a Green River “ Buffalo skinner” lwith curved blade. Favorite is a homemade fixed blade of D2 steel and antler handle a machinist neighbor made for me. Our state has a long season and you could kill 6 deer per year plus hogs. You get lots of practice using knives. I really like bout a 3” fixed blade Loveless style knife.
Posted By: bigswede358 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
I have quite a few capable knives, but the only one that ever seems to find it’s way onto my belt when I’m taking a rifle for a walk is a Buck 110. My best friends dad gifted it to me about 25 years ago. It’s taken care of numerous elk and deer over the years.
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
My Dad gave me a Kershaw Alaskan Blade trader. I think its been in my pack close to 20 years. I usually use a outdoor edge for the majority of gutting and skinning now days but the Kershaw is always handy From pronghorn to elk and hogs even breasted a duck or dozen’s
Posted By: Brad Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
I used an Opinel no.8 on last years elk. I've also used the Gerber LST, and a CRKT Wrangler, both with little 2" blades. It really doesn't take much to break down an elk, but I prefer a fixed blade with 3-4" blade like the DH Russell Canadian Belt Knife.

Posted By: model70man Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
Randall Model 23
Posted By: TheKid Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
I used a Camillus jumbo trapper to dress, quarter, and skin countless creature from squirrels to moose and grouse to grizzly bears. It’s SS and pretty darn good steel, easy to sharpen and holds an edge very well.

But I’ve retired it for sentimental reasons. I lost it for a couple days and happened to find it by pure luck. A very good friend gifted it to me as a wedding present so I decided it meant enough to me as a memento to put it up to keep from losing it again. I watch EBay occasionally for a replacement but they’ve gotten ridiculous in price. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: CRS Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
I am with you Brad. 3-4" fixed blade is my choice also.

Went the small knife/blade route for a couple of years and went back to slightly bigger blades.
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
Here is another one I'm partial to but haven't given it the workout I have with the Baumgart. From Mike Miller...

That’s a beauty!!! 😍
Posted By: TimZ Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
Originally Posted by DLSguide
Tim Olt Loveless style

^^^^^^^

This
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
Just a folder in my pocket for me. Some of my favorites.

Puma 970 Game Warden
Buck 500 Duke
Camillus Sword Brand #4 lock back
Camillus Sword Brand #3 lock back
Posted By: tscott Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
Process bucks in woods... fine butcher to freezer at home.... 1959 - last Monday...
Best, most universal, ease of use for me = Gerber Paraframe....
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
Living in Colorado, Western Knives was to knives what Redfield was to rifle scopes. As soon as I came of big game hunting age I saved my pennies and bought a Western Skinner. Which of course is a mistake for taking apart a critter or deboning. I struggled with that for years until I bought a more reasonable Western.

In the late 80's I received a Bucklite folder as part of a tip. The handle was blaze orange. I didn't think much of it and tossed it into my box of knives. The following year my daypack was getting heavy and I dumped everything out and began to evaluate weight of items I deemed essential. I decided to try the Bucklite. A few days later I killed a bull in 15+ inches of powder snow from the day before. The dang bull died in a snowdrift that has to be two feet deep. I accidently dropped that blaze orange knife in the snow and it went right to the ground in the powder. Right then I realized the advantage of a bright handle.

In the late 90's I received as a tip from a Gulf War I vet a brand new Bucklite in a plain white box except for serial/model numbers that had been issued to troops by Buck leaving for the Middle East. Supposedly it has an exclusive camo on the handle, and I have never seen that camo style on a Buck since.

Not only are the Bucklites exceedingly light but I can sharpen it well and it holds an edge for me. I like that it's a folder and takes less room. I now own five Bucklites from the late 80's to the mid 90's, and have been using them for ~35 years. I have three custom fixed blades knives that I paid good money for, but just can't justify the extra weight.
Posted By: PWN Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
Mora I found in an old logging road in southern Oklahoma over 15 years ago. A lab I owned chewed the original sheath so I found this one at a garage sale a few years later. I is ugly but works well and takes a razor edge easily. I used it this morning to gut a late season doe.

[Linked Image]
Charlie May Trace

Nice knife. The deer is ok too I guess.

Congrats on a toad!

+1.

That things huge looking (mass and body size )
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
An Old Timer I got for Xmas. It was from my sister and one of her husband's.
Posted By: Brad Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Living in Colorado, Western Knives was to knives what Redfield was to rifle scopes. As soon as I came of big game hunting age I saved my pennies and bought a Western Skinner. Which of course is a mistake for taking apart a critter or deboning. I struggled with that for years until I bought a more reasonable Western.

My first sheath knife as a kid in the late 60's/early 70's was a Western with 4-ish" blade.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
Various Buck, Cold Steel SRK, KA BAR, etc., all favorite. All in rotation.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

My first sheath knife as a kid in the late 60's/early 70's was a Western with 4-ish" blade.

Me too, about the same time frame. I used it to cut the strings when feeding square baled alfalfa to the milk cows, hauled 15-20 bales twice a day to the racks up on the hill. One day I got back to the house and it wasn't in the sheath. Spent hours up there looking for it, never found it. It's a wonder one of the cows or a tractor tire didn't find it.
OP asked for my favorite - I’ll offer my current but only has a few seasons under its belt. I changed knives when I started hunting VT thinking it would bring me luck - which I was desperately in need of…it’s a Robert Sutton. Nothing fancy really just a solid working tool with a plain handle.

Beautiful knife collections fellas!

Pints
Posted By: 44mc Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/22
I wind up with the sharp finger I got for my B.D. in 1974 . have a small duffel bag of blades 35/40 of store bought with 4 to 6 I made and 5 or so old hickory blades from my MIL that was a meat cutter for 40 + years . but the old sharp finger gets used every year
Posted By: buttstock Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/24/22
Depending on my mood:

Spyderco Bill Moran FB02 drop point hunter, 3.8" VG-10 fixed blade.

Cold Steel Master Hunter with 4.5" Carbon V blade.
I used an Opinel no.8 on last years elk. I've also used the Gerber LST, and a CRKT Wrangler, both with little 2" blades. It really doesn't take much to break down an elk, but I prefer a fixed blade with 3-4" blade like the DH Russell Canadian Belt Knife.

Brad that’s a great pic! Always been curious about Opinel knives but never pulled the trigger
Posted By: Brad Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/24/22
Brad that’s a great pic! Always been curious about Opinel knives but never pulled the trigger

Pints, thanks!

The Opinel no.6 is my favorite, and what accompanies me on summer backpacks when I'm going to fish. It can easily handle elk too - the no.8 just has a slightly bigger handle so I took it along the day I took that bull.

Your Sutton is a nice copy of the DH Russell Canadian Belt Knife!
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/24/22
[quote=Brad]I used an Opinel no.8 on last years elk. . .

Opinels are good knives for a low cost tool
I've got a few different sizes, and prefer the 8's or 10's

I can attest that even though they're wooden
handled, they do not float if accidentally dropped
when fishing
Posted By: JDK Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/24/22
Gutted and skinned 3 deer this year with an Opinel #6. Broke down a total of 7 deer and helped with a moose with a Mora Companion. No fuss.

And Ranger99 is correct, Opinel don’t float
Originally Posted by Ralphie
A bright orange havalon. I’m sold on the replaceable blade knives.
I'm sold on the replaceable blade knives too, mine is a Gerber Big Game.
Back when CRKT was new to the market I found a semi soft plastic handled skinner with a nice deep belly for under $25.
I have several “nicer” knives but to this day that knife is always in my pack. Takes a nice edge that lasts well.
Posted By: devnull Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/24/22
Whatever is readily available. No matter what I use, it’s going to be sharp.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/24/22
Originally Posted by buttstock
Depending on my mood:

The Cold Steel is as close to my favorite that I have been able to find.

Pachmayr sheath knife was my favorite. We used to buy em for about $20 then they went to $50 or so and then they quit making them.

Stainless, sharpened pretty easy and stayed sharp for the gutting, skinning and deboning of 3-4 deer. This included sternum splitting.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/24/22

I have lots of customs: Doziers, Crotts, Randall and the like.
But my CS Master Hunter can be honed so sharp it scares me. Amazing blade.
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/24/22
Cold steel is the real deal. I took an srk and changed the bevel to 20 deg., and that is a great knife. I like how you can touch them up so fast and they have edge retention like no other. I have a few customs and they do great, but for 40 bucks, that srk is awesome. I may order the San Mai version to see what it's all about.
Depending on my mood:

+1 on the Spyderco Moran.
Posted By: devnull Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/24/22
I keep a cheap Cold Steel Pendleton on the 'wheeler. It's my goto in the field when a deer goes down.
alpinecrick- I had a western knife I bought in 1972 at my uncle's hardware store back in the day. Used it every year til last year when some a$$hole broke into my truck and took my Kifaru pack it was in. Everything, including the pack were easily replaced, but not the knife. It was a great knife!
Posted By: 5spd Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/25/22
Buck 102, cut up many, many animals with just that 1 knife in the last 50 years.
I do have buck 119, 120, skinners, but hardly use them.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/25/22
Like most here I am fond of knives, almost as much as guns. I have a few favorites

Randell #5 my Father bought me in the early 60s. 2 Olsen’s that were my father’s that I cherish. I use the trout and bird knife the most these days

Opinel #8 is my camping kit and the Benchmade I carry everyday. I have a few more. 😎

Posted By: tbear99 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/25/22
i carry and use a buck 112 that i carry everyday probably for 35 years
Posted By: MedRiver Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/26/22
I use exactly what I would use at home in my shop…a 5 or 6” Forschner (victorinox) boning knife.

This one that I have carried for years is down to about 4.5” but works really well.

Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/27/22
I've carried either a Buck 105 or 102 fixed blade or a 110 folder for about 40 years. I like the slender blades.
I had a beautiful Mike Miller but I didn't want to mess it up so I traded it on here.
Posted By: Elvis Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/27/22
I like a little Nieto fixed blade. Not sure of the exact model as they have a heap that look the same. I have some much more expensive knives that sit on the shelf.
Posted By: jimmy3 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/27/22
Gator
Posted By: BS2 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/27/22
For a all in one knife, the Scrapyard Dumpster Mutt is a Great knife. Hunting and survival.
Posted By: longarm Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/27/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]russian image hosting
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/28/22
Hard to beat the above pair!
Buck 110. That knife has been to hell and back with me.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/28/22
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/28/22
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Great knife Hunts.

If I could only have one knife to do it all I'd probably pick a Lil dumplin too.
Posted By: Brad Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/28/22
Gorgeous. Spalted maple?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][url=https://postimages.org/][/url]
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/28/22
My EDC is a Kershaw Leek although I switch it out once in a hole. I have two more just like it in case I loose it. Other than that I have a box full of folders on my dresser, all US made with the exception of one German one. I don’t buy or use Asian knives.
Posted By: Marty63 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/28/22
Bought a Buck light 422 from Canadian tire in around 1983,Still my go to hunting knife. I also picked up a Buck 560 in 1997.
I have a bunch of knives, but these two are my favorites. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/28/22
Outdoor Edge Swing Blade, carry the saw as well, it's all I need for any hunt.

Originally Posted by MedRiver
I use exactly what I would use at home in my shop…a 5 or 6” Forschner (victorinox) boning knife.

This one that I have carried for years is down to about 4.5” but works really well.

That’s a really neat setup.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/28/22
There are as many 'favorites' as there are member of this forum. Most likely 95% of them take a good edge and do an animal very well. Some are 'because Dad used it. Some are because I couldn't find anything else more expensive. Some are because I read a report on how good the steel is. Some are because it's the prettiest thing on the market. Some are because I already have it and don't want to spend any more money on another one.
All of them are correct. There are no right or wrong answers to what works and makes you happy.
Posted By: longarm Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/28/22
Originally Posted by KillerBee

I helped a buddy who used one of these on an elk this Fall. Have to admit it was pretty slick!

Gorgeous. Spalted maple?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][url=https://postimages.org/][/url]

Brad, thank you. Yep, spalted maple.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There are as many 'favorites' as there are member of this forum. Most likely 95% of them take a good edge and do an animal very well. Some are 'because Dad used it. Some are because I couldn't find anything else more expensive. Some are because I read a report on how good the steel is. Some are because it's the prettiest thing on the market. Some are because I already have it and don't want to spend any more money on another one.
All of them are correct. There are no right or wrong answers to what works and makes you happy.

Well said.
I have found Crotts or Dozier Semi Skinners to be impossible to beat for big game.

Dan Crotts

Bob Dozier

Posted By: NVhntr Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/28/22
That is a beauty!
Posted By: longarm Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/28/22
^ That looks like a blade that would get a lot of work done
Posted By: MickinColo Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/28/22
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/28/22
I have maybe a dozen fixed blades, including a couple of customs, but come opening day, my 30+ year old Buck 102 Woodsman always winds up on my belt.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/28/22
Originally Posted by Marty63
Bought a Buck light 422 from Canadian tire in around 1983,Still my go to hunting knife. I also picked up a Buck 560 in 1997.
I have a bunch of knives, but these two are my favorites. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ha Ha
I haven't seen very many of those titanium bucks
even when they were available new.
I used to carry mine a lot, but I lost it for a few hours
on a bowhunt years ago. I didn't notice the sheath had
come undone until I got to my tree, and was taking the
stand off my back. I backtracked my path and was
blessed to find it right there where it had fallen, and
and on public land too. I haven't carried it as much
the last few years.
They're good knives
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/28/22
I have a Buck titanium and mine is made where you can disassemble it for cleaning. It’s held together by stainless hex screws and has a small hex head tool on a split ring attached to the handle. I think I got the thing in the late 70’s IIRC and though I see them on auction sometimes, I don’t think I’ve ever seen another hunter carrying one.
Posted By: keith Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/29/22
McCrosky Knives,,,,
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I have a Buck titanium and mine is made where you can disassemble it for cleaning. It’s held together by stainless hex screws and has a small hex head tool on a split ring attached to the handle. I think I got the thing in the late 70’s IIRC and though I see them on auction sometimes, I don’t think I’ve ever seen another hunter carrying one.

That's the 1st generation one
Not many of those ever got used.
I think they were put away in collections and
probably haven't seen the light of day since they
were put away
I have the later riveted one like marty63 posted
Any of them are pretty rare to see for sale, and
would probably fetch a premium if in decent shape
I never saw anybody else carrying or using one
besides myself.

No telling what some collector would pay
for the little allen head driver
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/29/22

These Guys really need to build a version of the above.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by cwh2

These Guys really need to build a version of the above.
I have the single blade version of that. I've used it on 1 deer & 1 elk so far. It works ok but nothing special. If you aren't going to skin the animal right away, I suggest making all the cuts with it before it cools. This works much better on a hot carcass. I skinned the elk right away but the deer wasn't skinned until the next morning. The knife worked a lot better on the elk.

[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]
Posted By: strosfann Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/29/22
I am a fan of the Outdoor Edge Swingblade too. The orange handle makes it easy to keep track of and the handle fits my grip very well. I would like a nice custom knife but can’t justify it when a $30 one does the trick.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by Marty63

Ha Ha
I haven't seen very many of those titanium bucks
even when they were available new.
I used to carry mine a lot, but I lost it for a few hours
on a bowhunt years ago. I didn't notice the sheath had
come undone until I got to my tree, and was taking the
stand off my back. I backtracked my path and was
blessed to find it right there where it had fallen, and
and on public land too. I haven't carried it as much
the last few years.
They're good knives

Sucks to have things you like so much you DON'T use them.

Unfortunately, I completely understand.
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/29/22
I carry and hunt with a custom Terry A Treutel (TAT) knife my wife gave for my 30th birthday(I'll be 64 in a couple months). Sheep horn handles drop point and holds an edge like no other knife I've ever tried or used. I have drawers full of customs, Randalls, and production knives. None can compare.
This knife has done it all!
Posted By: Kota Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/29/22
A 1933 Marbles Woodcraft and a slightly newer Marbles Expert
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by longarm

I helped a buddy who used one of these on an elk this Fall. Have to admit it was pretty slick!

Hello longarm, just amazing how quickly the gutting blade opens them up hey?

Super handy to have both the knife and gutting blade all on one, really small and light. I do my animals the "Gutless Method", makes quick work of even a big moose.

If you guys are thinking of getting one, you will not be disappointed, guaranteed.

Happy New Year to all :o)
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/29/22
I've carried and used a Buck Pathfinder 105 since the late 60"s - it's not easy to sharpen, but once I get a good edge it lasts a long time.

Lately I've been using a Knives of Alaska Alpha Wolf to dress both deer and elk and a Schrade Sharp Finger to do all the skinning, for which I think it's perfect....
The need for a specialized blade for the simplest task in the processing of game always confused me. It’s like a butt out tool. An answer to a question never asked.
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
The need for a specialized blade for the simplest task in the processing of game always confused me. It’s like a butt out tool. An answer to a question never asked.

My buddy bought a couple of "butt out tools" a number of years ago. He left them laying on the kitchen table.
His wife walked in and took one look and said, "You're NOT using THAT on me!"
Posted By: humdinger Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/29/22

My brother bought one for me as a xmas gift and it wasn't a gag gift.

It works quite well...

Other than you have a brown messy tool that you have to cut the "tube" off when your done.

Your mileage may vary.
Posted By: elkchsr Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/30/22

I really like the look of this one. I snuck out into the garage last weekend to try and make my own version. The first one turned out pretty good. The second blade is a little slimmer all the way around. Hope to get them finished up next weekend.

Posted By: Brad Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/30/22
Wow - impressive!
Posted By: SKane Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/30/22
Nicely done, elkchsr.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/30/22
elkchsr, very cool sir! You must be a big fan of Forged In Fire, awesome show.

Don't think I have missed a single episode and I do not even make knives.
I have processed a lot of elk with a basic Mora knife.

A couple lightweight Mora knives, Laplander saw and a very lightweight sharpener and that is generally it.

Posted By: HCDH66 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 01/06/23
Old-school Buck 110 for me.
Posted By: Bill_K Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 01/06/23
Randall model 8
Posted By: trplem Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 01/08/23
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

A couple lightweight Mora knives, Laplander saw and a very lightweight sharpener and that is generally it.

Thanks for saving me from having to learn to post photos grinThe same Mora after washing is also the food prep and dinner knife for me. It even does a decent job spreading butter with a bit of care.
Posted By: Gibby Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 01/08/23
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Just had this one made in Sept by Bill Poor @ Flatland Forge in Texas

Flatland Forge Custom Knives

I've never lost a blue handle knife. They just stand out in the wild.
Posted By: Winnie70 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 01/08/23
Surprised to see all the folders. Very cool. I got an old buck trapper that I can get razor sharp. Guts and skins good. Like a little longer blade for deboning. Seems like the old timer sharp finger was in on about every kill growing up. Wonder if they still make a good one? I like the cold steel stuff also because if I need to abuse it, it can normally take it.
The Old Timer Sharp Finger Generational is now being made in the USA again. I got one and it is 1049 steel, unlike the cheaper China one.
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 01/09/23
Thanks. I'll check it out. Dad bought one in the early 90s and we've used the tar outta that thing. Literally wore it out.
Posted By: Santiam Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 01/09/23
Mora..

Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 01/09/23
Those Mora’s are great. ^^^

Old Case Trappers work well and easy to get scary sharp.

Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 01/09/23
I have a 2003 vintage Bark River Fox River that I believe is either D2 or A2 steel that I really like. I also have 3 different Moraknivs: Companion, Craftline, and Bushcraft. I find Moras to be excellent knives for the money.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 01/09/23
I carry/skin and gut with USA Made Schrade 152's. (I like Bucks and other Schrade's too.)

I have three custom knives and a couple Buck 119's that I use for butchering. Only one of 39 knifes isn't made in the USA and that one I bought in Gyana straight from the knife maker.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 01/14/23
My favorite is a Ruana 1 off I had them build, just shy of 4" drop point wide blade and 1/8 thick, iron wood scales. Feels great in my hand and really holds an edge. I used a Ruana # 10 for many years and really liked it also. Gave my son a few Ruanas that he likes. Including another 1 off I had them make for me. Step son did a good job skinning and gutting his buck this year with an old Buck 105 of mine and he really liked it.
His birthday is tomorrow and I got a new 105 for him. I don't like the new sheaths as well as the old ones but he won't know the diff. He likes knives and I've given him a bunch but this one is the first hunting type I've given him.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

This! Nailed it. The only thing I'd have to add (must) is an small SAK (victorinox swissbarmy knife). It's nice to have the scissors tweezers and utility blade and I use them lots.
Originally Posted by Santiam
Mora..

Cool looking buck.

He like to put his own eye out?
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 01/19/23
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Buck Vanguard or buck 110.

Those two knives serve several purposes very well.
Posted By: Huckfin Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 06/18/23
The original Havalon is the way to go. Once you learn how to cut joints apart you can process any animal with 2 blades that are razor shart. I have quarted/processed over 25 deer/bear/elk in the field with these knives and nothing compares. My friends always try to jump in and help with the newest and fanciest knives/steal but always have them put away before the job is done because they lack the edge retention or the ability to resharpen in the field. If you have the luxury to do your work at the truck or in the shop then any knife will do when you have a sharpening system near by. But out in the field havalon is the way to go when caping/breaking animals down for a pack out.
Originally Posted by Huckfin
razor shart.

Sounds uncomfortable.
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 06/18/23
Vintage 1970’s Brownings.
Posted By: Bassman81 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 06/23/23
Buck 110.
Posted By: MS9x56 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 06/25/23
Schrader sharp finger or any Mora knife.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 06/25/23
Originally Posted by Huckfin
razor shart.

Sounds uncomfortable.

A fart is the sharpest thing known to man.
It cuts through underwater and pants, without even making a hole!

A shart, is just a schiddy attempt of a fart.
Posted By: DLSguide Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 06/25/23
Tim Olt Loveless design. Sharpest and longest lasting edge I have ever used.
Posted By: smallfry Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 06/25/23
I use Mora quite a bit and victorinox pairing knife. The victorinox is great for boning meat out in the field, is inexpensive, soft blade that takes an awesome edge and has good flex to it.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 06/25/23
Gene Ingram Lite-Hunter pair in S30V stays in my pack and ONLY gets used for hunting:

Attached picture IMG_0604.jpeg
Posted By: unahunt Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 06/25/23
Excellent choice.
Posted By: rifletom Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 06/25/23
Buck 110 with the drop point blade and A.G. Russel lockback. Works.
Posted By: devnull Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 06/26/23
Cold Steel Pendleton. It stays on the 4-wheeler in case I forget my knife. Other than that, a Buck Lite or Mora.

The Pendleton was a last minute purchase to get free shipping. It turns out that it's a sharp knife that holds a great edge:

https://www.coldsteel.com/pendleton-lite-hunter/
Crotts model 2 is my long standing favorite. Just got a Tim Olt boner, might use it this fall.
Originally Posted by devnull
Cold Steel Pendleton. It stays on the 4-wheeler in case I forget my knife. Other than that, a Buck Lite or Mora.

The Pendleton was a last minute purchase to get free shipping. It turns out that it's a sharp knife that holds a great edge:

+1

Great $15 knife.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 06/26/23

The Bark Canadian on the top was reworked to be more similar to the Russell Belt Knife in the middle. Bark Patch Knife on the bottom.

Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 06/26/23
This 'un is top of the heap now.....
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 06/27/23

The Cold Steel Pendleton Lite-Hunter is a good knife that SMKW sells for $17.95. It will never be mistaken for an Ingram, but if you lose it or leave it on a gut pile high on a mountain you'll only miss it long enough to call SMKW and order another one.

The Ontario Camp Plus Chef and Santoku folding knives are also good knives that SMKW sells for $9.95. Not awesome, but a lot of knife for under $10. Another knife to keep in your pack or truck or boat or wherever you might want to cache a knife for just in case you need one.
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 06/27/23
I'm fixing to cave and buy a dumplin.
Posted By: scratcherky Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 06/27/23
Buck 110 folding hunter.
Posted By: Speedwalker Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 06/28/23
I've always carried the various smaller Buck fixed blades. That was until about 15 years ago my father-in-law bought me a Bob Dozier. That's the knife I always carry now.
Posted By: hitman Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 06/28/23
Not sure i could pick a single favorite. A few that come to mind that see a lot of action.
1)Charlie May -Bout All
2)Tim Olt-Michigan Slim
3)Charlie May -Skipjack
4) Tim Olt -5” Boner
5)Charlie May-B/T
6)Charlie May-Buk 95

I could go on an on. Theres lots of options an thats the best part
Posted By: jeeper Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 06/29/23
Any of a number of smaller fixed blades and a gut hook.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 07/24/23
Too many to pick from, but liking my Winston alot.
Posted By: tdoyka Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 07/24/23
mine was done by blacksmith named Marvin Wotring (RIP) of Mogantown, WV. it is a steel band strap is molded to a Damarcus steel knife. the knife it replaced is a Buck 110.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture K1cVJ5U.jpg
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 07/24/23
Today it is a '60s era 7-4.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Joaa Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 07/26/23
Beck wsk
Posted By: Deere_Man Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 07/30/23

This is one of my all time favorite hunting knives. The liner lock is a nice feature and the USA made version will really take and keep an edge.
Got to say there's not a whole lot I can't do with an outdoor edge 3.5 or 5, to the point I just carry both (onyx and boning/filet) in my chest pack.

Like my good ol merkur 34c, always ready for the job.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/08/23
i use a custom i help design on deer and elk matter fact i gave my son a custom like mine this summer for his birthday. the knife builder is very good at making a complete custom knife and leather knife case too .
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/10/23
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
I use a case folder

Me too. It is the bone handle/brass Case XX X-Changer. I leave the drop point blade in it. It was my 5 year tenure award from what turned out to be a 45 year career. I never go afield without it.
Posted By: Jbadams Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/14/23
My buck 110 has been my go to for the past 10 years or so. Before that it was a schrade drop point hunter.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/15/23
There sure is a lot of custom maker name dropping in these knife threads.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/16/23
Usually a Buck 110 for deer, but this year picked up a short Randall model 8 to carry.

Posted By: SlickLizard Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/16/23
I love knives to the consternation of my wife. I have Alaska, Buck, 4 custom by Richard Waites, etc. But i cannot argue with Outdoor Edge replaceable blades when I'm on the side of a mountain in the cold cleaning an animal.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/17/23
Originally Posted by SuperCub

That's a great thing, isn't it!
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/18/23
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

It's all about the name sometimes, isn't it? smile smile

Made this one just for me. CPM M4 , spalted maple and my preferred style of sheath.
I use a couple old Buck Bucklite 426 drop points or an old Buck Vangard with the rubber handle. Coyote to moose and everything in-between. One of the 426 ride in a custom stingray belt sheath, about as fancy as I get.

Still have the Schrade Old Timer my dad gave me decades ago when he started me hunting, but it doesn't get used anymore, it's too big! Lol!
Noticed that a lot of the respondents are using Buck 110s. When I lived there, (back east), we really only stocked 110s and then a few others. I would say we sold 10- 110s for every other brand combined!

There is quite often a reason they have a “name”.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/20/23

Simple enough, nice knives are boy jewellery.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/20/23
I have a rubber-handle Buck Vanguard that’s taken apart a lot of deer and a couple elk. It’s heavy, so while hunting I’m usually carrying a smaller, very light smaller fixed-blade Buck who’s name eludes me. And a Benchmade folder with a drop-point, either a Bugout, or one they appear to have discontinued but it’s similar to the TaggedOut which is also my EDC.
Posted By: HickoryNut Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/20/23
Benchmade steep country & hidden canyon
Old Timer Sharp finger
Opinel #7 & 8
Outdoor Edge Whitetail Skinner
Kydex (2) knife set by Big Mike
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/20/23
Cold Steel Pendleton Hunter. Only change I would make to it would be to change the black rubber handle to hunter orange.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/20/23
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

+1

Great $15 knife.

There is the Pendleton Hunter which is a more expensive version than the Pendleton Hunter Lite which is more akin to their cheap yet very good line of knives. For $17 try out the Cold Steel Fin Bear. That little knife comes scary sharp and holds an edge. It also weighs next to nothing while being plenty stout. I wish they made that knife with a drop point.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/20/23
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

+1

Great $15 knife.

There is the Pendleton Hunter which is a more expensive version than the Pendleton Hunter Lite which is more akin to their cheap yet very good line of knives. For $17 try out the Cold Steel Fin Bear. That little knife comes scary sharp and holds an edge. It also weighs next to nothing while being plenty stout. I wish they made that knife with a drop point.

Yep. Finn bear is a heck of a nice knife
Posted By: FLPanhandle Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/25/23
A Puma - I brought it back from Germany back in 1970. I think they are now assembled in the USA from German made parts. Mine has a serial Nr.. A VERY GOOD KNIFE!
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/25/23
I rotate through three different knives from year to year, based on my mood at the time. They are a Buck 110, Cold Steel Pendleton Hunter and an old Western Knife Company W84.

If I had to choose one it would be the W84.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/25/23

That's right, but after a while you're paying a premium for that name.
Not always. Most often they wait just gets longer.
Posted By: johnw Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/26/23
Don't know how I missed this thread this long. And I don't know that I have an absolute favorite knife.

My oldest knife, still in captivity, is a 5" Western, with stacked leather handle. Awesome old knife that I've had for 50+ years now. Used, abused, lost, and found. Shows it's age, but has done about anything I could ever do with a knife. If I ever thought i lost it forever I'd go into depression...

One I've had and loved for 30 years is the Buck Vanguard. A great knife that does most things well

And I've prbably got at least one Mora in each vehicle and the boat. Elegant simplicity

At the end of a job in 2010 I picked up a Benchmade Barrage. One of the best knives I've carried daily. 154CM, I'm convinced, is one of the better all around knife steels.
This one has dressed a fair number of deer because it's always there and ready.

Just 3-4 years ago I ordered a knife from a poster (Tuskbuster) here. Slim 3 5/8" blade that sorta looks like some of the "Bird and Trout" knives. I like carrying this one a lot, and it does everything well. Don't hunt birds anymore, but it does a whitetail with ease. It gutted a couple of Wyoming trout last summer, for me.
Got another of his knives on the way...
Posted By: Razorhog Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/27/23
Yep-

Tuskbuster is a true craftsman. Got several from him.
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain

Made this one just for me. CPM M4 , spalted maple and my preferred style of sheath.

Well Done Sir!
Posted By: iddave Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/30/23
Originally Posted by Razorhog
Yep-

Agreed. Fantastic guy that builds a fantastic knife.

Dave
Posted By: johnw Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/30/23
Originally Posted by iddave
Yep-

Dave
Got my2nd knife from him last week. Surprised to find it feels even better in the hand than my first. Slightly smaller and lighter.
Can't wait to use it in the field...

Went abit nutz on knives this month still got incoming from VinceM and Dan Thornburg
Posted By: hanco Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/30/23
Looking back through this, some aren’t wearing rubber gloves. From what I’ve have read, we really should, especially with pigs!!!!
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/30/23
Originally Posted by hanco
Looking back through this, some aren’t wearing rubber gloves. From what I’ve have read, we really should, especially with pigs!!!!

Why is that?
Posted By: johnw Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/30/23
I occasionally wonder what some of the old Western or Solingen knives we bought as kids would be worth if we hadn't owned them as kids.

Had a Stag Solingen that I used as a practice throwing knife...
Posted By: AZtwins Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/30/23
My favorite? Randall Model 11-4 but I've used a ton of different blades, including a $3.99 paring knife that do the job just as well.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 08/31/23
I turned 51 this year, and so I feel like I have turned a corner. The knife that I have used the most up to this point, is a Cold Steel Master Hunter. The knife that I will never give up till I become ashes for someone to spread is a Marbles from Gladstone Michigan, that my Grandfather gave me. The Knife that I use most now, is a Randall Made Denmark Special. Tool steel, stag handle and sharp as a nightmare. I need to pass on the Cold Steel. My son will get the Marbles (and the story) and I guess I will use the Randall till I am through.
Posted By: NH Hunter Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 09/02/23
Cold steel master hunter San Mai has been my go to for years. Just the right size, comfortable handle and holds a good edge.
Posted By: trplem Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 09/02/23
One more time again-Buck Vanguard. Cheap Mora knives would be a strong second.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 09/02/23
Ruana That is a 1 off I had them make.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 09/03/23
Originally Posted by boatammo
Ruana That is a 1 off I had them make.

That’s pretty damn cool. Do you have a picture you can post? I’d love to see a 1 of 1 Ruana. 👍🏼
Posted By: shaman Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 09/03/23
I 've carried a Buck 110 Folding Hunter since Reagan's first term.

About a decade ago, I bought a 113 fixed blade skinner for the meatpole. It's the same steel, and I like the blade shape better for working up inside a deer's chest. It also cleans up easier than the 110.
[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]
Posted By: Portside2 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 09/03/23

That's right, but after a while you're paying a premium for that name.

Does that mean you hunt deer with a Savage Axis?
Posted By: BCHunter666 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 09/27/23
I have well over 100 knives and like them all. There are a few cheaper models, all the way up to custom builds. And oddly enough, for deer and antelope I prefer an Opinel 8 . Probably because it was given to me by my uncle over 60 years ago I keep it Incredibly sharp
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/04/23
Just bought one of these for deboning for grinder work.

https://www.knivesofalaska.com/Store/professional-boning-knife/professional-boning-knife---flexible
Posted By: johnw Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/05/23
Originally Posted by johnw
Yep-

Dave
Got my2nd knife from him last week. Surprised to find it feels even better in the hand than my first. Slightly smaller and lighter.

Went abit nutz on knives this month still got incoming from VinceM and Dan Thornburg

Took my new knife from Tuskbuster to Colorado trout fishing. Limit of 4 daily and 8 in posession. Buddy and I kept the lasat 2 days limits and I gutted and gilled while he rinsed and shrink wrapped them. The knife was perfect for the job

They're going into my buddies smoker about now...
I have gotten very practical over the years. While I can afford and appreciate custom knives, they are too heavy to carry where I like to hunt. Heck, Havalons are too heavy.

I prefer one simple knife that I can process a sheep or deer or elk without any difficulty, under 1 oz weight :
[Linked Image from imageengine.victorinox.com]

If I am bear or elk hunting within 2-3 miles of a road, I might splurge and pack a slightly heavier knife, at about 2.6 oz:
[Linked Image from cdnimg.webstaurantstore.com]
Posted By: johnw Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/05/23
Yep-

Dave

Took my new knife from Tuskbuster to Colorado trout fishing. Limit of 4 daily and 8 in posession. Buddy and I kept the lasat 2 days limits and I gutted and gilled while he rinsed and shrink wrapped them. The knife was perfect for the job

They're going into my buddies smoker about now...

Posted By: catnthehat Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/06/23
If I could only carry one knife it would be the bottom one, a Puma that my father gave me in 1992 for a bighorn archery hunt.
I have used it on every animal since then
The top one is a Marttiini that a Finnish friend sent me when he moved back.
The hatchet used to stay in my pack for cutting brush, etc , but I have also used it for sternums on moose and other such duties.
It has since been replaced by a Kukri that a friend made for me.
The Leatherman is always on my belt , regardless of where I am - unless of course, I am wearing a Tux! LOL
Cat
Nice trout. Reminds me of a few places in Colorado.
Another knife I will be using this fall. This one is in CPM
Magnacut.

Posted By: beretzs Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/07/23
That’s a dandy knife.
Posted By: SLM Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/07/23
Very nice.

Another knife I will be using this fall. This one is in CPM
Magnacut.

Posted By: T_Inman Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/07/23
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I lose knives like they're beer empties. I have several decent fixed blades and folders scattered throughout the west. My favorite was an older fixed blade that didn't have any markings other than "Made in Germany". It held a really good edge. It has been somewhere in Devil's Playground WSA in Wyoming since 2012.

I mainly use a havalon piranta these days, though I have random other knives in various places in the house and vehicle. I suck ass at sharpening anyhow.

After skinning a grizzly and two moose this fall thus far, my choice hasn't changed...bought an Ingram and it feels awesome but truth be told, after 5 minutes of working on a moose I put it up and went pack to the havalon.
Got a bunch more things to kill this fall and suspect everything but the havalon will collect dust.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/07/23
Havalon piranha for most. Just replaced an outdoor edge replacement blade that I lost a few years ago.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/07/23
Don't know how I missed this thread but here goes...Randall Model 7-5 inch
Bought it from Bo Randall himself in 1972 for the princely sum of $52
Through 50 years and three sheaths, it went everywhere with me.
I passed it along to a very deserving Campfire member here..

Posted By: shrapnel Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/07/23

Looks familiar…

Posted By: Smokecheck Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/08/23

I don't go into the woods without a Buck 180 crosslock. My Dad bought me my first 180 in the late 90's. Unfortunately I lost that one during a hunt..in the late 90's. I have been lucky enough to get a handful off ebay over the years. My Son will be receiving one in the near future, going to give it him when he shoots his first Buck.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/09/23
I got my hunting knives out yesterday to make sure they were sharp for the season.
Left to right:
The Knives of Alaska Jaeger Boning knife is new, haven't used it yet, not sure what I'll use it for, we'll see.
The KoA Boning knife is also new, more of a traditional boning knife, will use it at home for grinder prep, separating meat from bone.
The folding Buck stays in my pack, always with me.
The Buck skinner is a good skinning knife, about 20+ years and counting.
The KoA Bushcamp knife works well for quartering game after skinning, also about 20+ years.

Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/09/23
Those Bucklites ^ ^ ^ are a good knife.
I have an identical green handle one
and an orange one. I lost the green
one for about a week and finally found
it where I'd dropped it. I painted it yellow,
but the paint didn't last quite a month
before it all flaked off. Good sharp
knives
Always wanted one of those Vanguards,
but since I've wanted one they've always
cost more than I wanted to spend.
I think they're close to $90.00 now

Good usable selection
Posted By: SLM Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/09/23
Heathen.

After skinning a grizzly and two moose this fall thus far, my choice hasn't changed...bought an Ingram and it feels awesome but truth be told, after 5 minutes of working on a moose I put it up and went pack to the havalon.
Got a bunch more things to kill this fall and suspect everything but the havalon will collect dust.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/09/23
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Those Bucklites ^ ^ ^ are a good knife.
I have an identical green handle one
and an orange one. I lost the green
one for about a week and finally found
it where I'd dropped it. I painted it yellow,
but the paint didn't last quite a month
before it all flaked off. Good sharp
knives
Always wanted one of those Vanguards,
but since I've wanted one they've always
cost more than I wanted to spend.
I think they're close to $90.00 now

Good usable selection

Yes, they are lightweight for sure, great for a pocket or pack. I have another with an orange handle that seems odd until you drop it in the woods!

The Vanguard is a perfect skinner, don't know what it cost 20+ years ago (my sons gave it to me) but all knives are crazy expensive these days unless you get knives for professional kitchen work which can be quite affordable. I've got a kitchen full of Dexter/Russell chef knives that are in the $20-30 range which are high-carbon, stain free, which makes them much easier to sharpen.
With I could find the damn thing.....because it really was my favorite.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/09/23
Benchmade steep country. Easy to clean, holds an edge forever, and super light.
Posted By: Lslite Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/09/23
I'm really liking that KOA boning knife, sure wish it came with one of their nice leather sheaths.
Posted By: 1eyedmule Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/10/23
My favorite for quite a few years now is this Nessmuk. It started out as a thin bladed 6" butcher. I took a hacksaw and files to it until it matched the original Nessmuck then added an antler handle from one of my bucks. Got to have the lanyard for hanging on a limb while gutting so you don't loose it in the snow (ask me how I know!).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/10/23
I own a ton of knives, mostly Buck folders and fixed blades, Gerbers, and a few Rapala filet knives I use for cutting up meat and removing backstraps. Lately, I have been using Outdoor Edge replaceable blade models, and really like them. No sharpening needed, and a razor-sharp blade makes gutting, skinning, etc. a lot easier.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/10/23
Originally Posted by Lslite
I'm really liking that KOA boning knife, sure wish it came with one of their nice leather sheaths.

Agreed but it's probably best used when the game is back at camp for final processing. Not sure how it would work for general field use.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/10/23
I also have this Cutco knife that was given to me as a gift, it's actually pretty handy for cutting through skin when you are trying to keep your other knives sharp for actual skinning and processing. I think Cutco is generally overpriced but as a gift, it's pretty useful.

https://www.cutco.com/p/clip-point-outdoor-knife
Found it. Cool. It was laying right there, in the last place I looked.

Looked for a replacement while it was "lost" and can't find it listed anywhere anymore. Wish I'd bought 2 or 3 back then.

Nothing special, just an old Gerber with non-serated blade and black "rubber" handle. Holds an edge like nothing I've ever seen. Fits my hand, handle gets "grippy" when covered in blood.

Guts, skins, butchers, et al. Damn good knife.
Posted By: USAFArky Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/12/23
Swearingen Nessmuk for my skinning. Benchmade Meatcrafter for cutting the loins out. Silky pruning saw to cut elk or moose leg bones.
Posted By: Ducker Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/12/23
Cabelas Alaskan Guide Alpha with the gut hook. Great knife - used it for over 20 years. Before that was the Schrade Sharp Finger. Eying a Robert Erickson Harpoon Point now, though.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/12/23
After a hunting career of over 50 years, with most of my Big Game hunts being Solo Hunts and using a lot of commercially available knives, my favorite by far is the Swing Blade by Outdoor Edge.

Gets the job done Fast!

Posted By: T_Inman Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/15/23
Originally Posted by SLM
Heathen.

Happy?

[Linked Image from y.yarn.co]
Posted By: SLM Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/15/23
Much better, you’ll never find a native using a Havalon.

Hugs.

Originally Posted by SLM
Heathen.

[quote=T_Inman]I lose knives like they're beer empties. I have several decent fixed blades and folders scattered throughout the west. My favorite was an older fixed blade that didn't have any markings other than "Made in Germany". It held a really good edge. It has been somewhere in Devil's Playground WSA in Wyoming since 2012.

Happy?

[Linked Image from y.yarn.co]
No fancy pictures... older Buck Vangard with the rubber handle and a couple of older Buck 426 Bucklite drop point knives. They just work.
https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-...OPfATnAqXHQiEsS5qQwVRNzW3C0aAgr6EALw_wcB

Wouldn't say it's my favorite but ive got thr Outdoor Edge skinning knife with the guthook. Picked it up a couple years ago at the close out isle in Wal Mart for under $10.

I've been favorable impressed with that blade hook using it to go down the spine for gut-less type of dismemberment. Easily takes apart elk and deer and it's cheap and the blade is quite thin stock. It's impressed me.

If I were starting as a young person I'd get me that two knife Outdoor Edge set, Bacho Laplander saw, and Buck tri-diamond pocket sharpener. One heck of a cheap way to get outstanding results
Buck 102 Woodsman and Buck 118 Personal. On occasion Buck 112 folder. T handle pelvic saw.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/16/23
Originally Posted by ingwe
Don't know how I missed this thread but here goes...Randall Model 7-5 inch
Bought it from Bo Randall himself in 1972 for the princely sum of $52
Through 50 years and three sheaths, it went everywhere with me.
I passed it along to a very deserving Campfire member here..

Love the pic with the Axis!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/17/23
I'm going to try my hand at making knives, I bought a Propane Forge, belt grinder, and other stuff to make knives.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/18/23
Knives of Alaska Light Hunter

Charles May Malibu Fire Ant
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 10/18/23
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Usually a Buck 110 for deer, but this year picked up a short Randall model 8 to carry.

That's nice.
Posted By: Weld2Hunt Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 11/27/23
An old American made case fix blade.
Posted By: antlers Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 11/27/23
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Charles May Malibu Fire Ant
I concur.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 11/27/23
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain

I like that one....a lot!

Frog----OUT!
Posted By: Razorhog Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 11/27/23
Frog-
Spalted maple handle? Outstanding design!!! Love the guard.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 11/27/23
My favorite is a Buck Woodsman or Case Finn that has the same blade pattern. I used a Case Trapper to skin gut and cut the meat off of the last 2 deer I killed this year. I like thin narrow blade patterns for using.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 11/27/23
Been using the same Green River Russel sheepskinner model I bought in 1974.. have a back up for it if I ever lose it. Used a lot of other knives but keep going back to the sheep skinner model. I bought 4 of them new in the box for $6 was sure at the time I got screwed. $1.50 EACH sometimes in life some of the finest things are the least expensive..mb
I’m liking this one a bunch.

Posted By: gsganzer Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 11/29/23
My EDC is a Benchmade Mini-Barrage S30V steel with orange grips. Excellent for everything including cleaning game, with the exception of being a folder that traps fat in the workings.

Therefore, I usually use my fixed blade, German made Puma Skinner the most. The shape of the blade, stag grip and scabbard just seem to suit all my field dressing needs.

Butchering, that's another task, using a true boning knife.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 11/29/23

Beautiful knife. I think you hit the jackpot with that. The shape of the drop point is perfect, a nice pronounced guard, micarta scales shaped nicely to give you tactile feel of blade angle and a lanyard hole.

Can you you share the maker? I couldn't zoom in close enough on your photo.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 11/29/23
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I also have this Cutco knife that was given to me as a gift, it's actually pretty handy for cutting through skin when you are trying to keep your other knives sharp for actual skinning and processing. I think Cutco is generally overpriced but as a gift, it's pretty useful.

https://www.cutco.com/p/clip-point-outdoor-knife

My step-son sold Cutco and gave me one of those for a Christmas gift. I appreciated the gesture, but the knife felt almost club-like in my hand. I threw it in the safe thinking I would never use it. To humor myself, one day I decided to give it a whirl. I friggin love it. It is so easy to finesse it with surgical precision.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/02/23
I have a few custom knives including one I bought in Guyana. I only have maybe 5 or 6 custom knives. I suppose they are too pretty to be used.
Most of my knives are Buck and USA Schrade and I usually carry one of them. I hadn’t used a Buck in a long time, but the last deer I shot: I gutted, skinned, and trimmed with a Buck similar to their old “Personal”. That knife was a favorite years ago and my only knife foe many years. I found this knife hard to beat. It was still sharp after the work was done, still cut a paper on edge with ease.
BTW: I throw communist Chinese knives in the garbage.
Posted By: SLDUCK Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/04/23
Buck 105 and helle tokikniv
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/04/23
I’ve had an old Marble Arms with a carbon steel blade and a stacked leather grip that I’ve been using for years now. Holds and keeps an edge great and and sharpens beautifully when you need to. No idea what model it is but it’s my steady.
Same one I gut, cut, and carve cheesecake with.

When you find something that just works, you just keep on working it.

Posted By: cs2blue Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/05/23
I have two current fav's, one is a cold steel pendalton lite hunter and the other is a plain jane mora. Both knives cost about 20 bucks a piece. Nothing special, but they work well for me!
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/05/23
Originally Posted by Bugger
BTW: I throw communist Chinese knives in the garbage.

...... along with your laptops, TV, cell phones and about 1/2 the consumer goods in your house? smile
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/05/23
I have some Randalls that I swap around depending on how I feel that day and mix in a Buck Titanium now and then.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/05/23
A little Tyler May droppoint 3 finger knife for me.
Then my Kinfolks A380 knife I inherited. It looks big and clumsy until you use it. My brother used it and found one on Ebay for himself.

Knife regret.. I inherited an older USA made oldtimer sharp finger and sold it before I used it beyond skinning. I only need so manu knoves and regret selling that old USA made knife.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/08/23
Originally Posted by humdinger
. . . . .Then my Kinfolks A380 knife I inherited. . . .

Isn't that more or less a version of the old
Marbles Woodcraft?
Posted By: DavidReed Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/09/23
Originally Posted by gsganzer

Beautiful knife. I think you hit the jackpot with that. The shape of the drop point is perfect, a nice pronounced guard, micarta scales shaped nicely to give you tactile feel of blade angle and a lanyard hole.

That’s a James Sponaugle knife. I’ve handled a few of his knives and they are top tier in every way.

James Sponaugle Knives
Posted By: beretzs Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/09/23
Originally Posted by DavidReed
Originally Posted by gsganzer

That’s a James Sponaugle knife. I’ve handled a few of his knives and they are top tier in every way.

James Sponaugle Knives

They do look nice.

How’s the blade hold up? Whole elk possible with one sharpening?
This one is in Magnacut. I used it on a bunch of animals this year and it is still shaving sharp. It is a Loveless semi skinner that I asked him to do with a 3 1/4” blade.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/11/23
This one is in Magnacut. I used it on a bunch of animals this year and it is still shaving sharp. It is a Loveless semi skinner that I asked him to do with a 3 1/4” blade.

We will talk Chuck. I'd like to order one for my oldest boy.
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/15/23
Got me a victorinox boning knife the other day. Got an old case that is getting a little ragged, so I decided to grab this victorinox. 6 inch curved, semi flex, and thin. Sucker is a razor. I may buy another one for the day pack. Impressed with it.
Posted By: tripod3 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/16/23
Benchmade Saddle Mountain Hunter is almost always in my hand. It fits my style and holds an edge-S30 steel. Sorry no pic yet.

I do wish it was still made.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
upload pic
Posted By: Lslite Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/16/23
Picked up a Spyderco Bill Moran skinner the other day that I'm liking at the moment. I hope to give it some late season use.
I just ordered a MKC knife that costs 64x the cost of my Victorinox Pairing knives...I will report back on how I like it. Is it worth 64x a Victorinox? Not likely, but will it do a better job than one? I'll let you know.

This one:
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/18/23
Them things should come with a fugging handle at that price.....
Posted By: longarm Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/18/23
Originally Posted by CanadianLefty
I just ordered a MKC knife that costs 64x the cost of my Victorinox Pairing knives...I will report back on how I like it. Is it worth 64x a Victorinox? Not likely, but will it do a better job than one? I'll let you know.

This one:

Oh look it's Scott Neigh the queer activist from Hamilton Ontario!
I hear you. It's very pricey. I will let you know once I recevie it. They sold out within 5 minutes. In fact, almost all of their knives have sold out and almost all are 5 star reviews. Let's see if they are worth it. I should receive mine tomorrow.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/18/23
You'll like it. They make good stuff. My beef isn't the added weight of having scales, but just feel a good knife is not the place to save the difference in weight between a real handle, and wrapping it in temporary baling twine.......
Posted By: DLSguide Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/18/23
I am not spending $200 on a knife with no handle except parachute cord.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/18/23
I don't get why anybody'd want a hunting knife with a cord handle that's just going to get soaked with blood.
Posted By: RHClark Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/18/23
I own several super steel expensive knives but if I had to process game with just one knife to survive it would be my carbon steel Old Hickory butcher knife. These days I much prefer a steel that gets shaving sharp with a couple swipes on a steel to a super steel knife that stays sharp longer but is much harder to sharpen.
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/18/23
I believe you get what you pay for. Trust me, I get it. Fancy custom knives are great. Love them. But, give me thin, pointed high carbon, under 60 bucks and I'm happy. A dang mora for 10 bucks completely changed my mind on knives. Cold steel us getting a little expensive. I bought a gerber the other day with a scandi grind that I'm needless to say unimpressed with compared to a mora. Right now I'm in the mora for gut/skin and a victorinox for a boner category.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/18/23
As many gazillion carbon wood scale butcher
knives that Ontario/Old Hickory produced,
the supply sure dried up after Ontario closed
their doors
Looks like Dexter/Russell/Green River is
kinda edging away as well. I tried to buy a
wood scale carbon butcher a while back, and
was told that they were discontinued and
would have to find a NOS somewhere
Posted By: JakeM78 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/18/23
I just gutted, skinned and disassembled a buck today with this. I did have a 8 inch breaking knife for cutting steaks.

Mora Pro
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/18/23
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I don't get why anybody'd want a hunting knife with a cord handle that's just going to get soaked with blood.

Well of course you wouldn't understand it silly...you hunt.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/18/23
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I was thinking the same thing myself. After one animal it'd be crusty..
Posted By: NMpistolero Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/19/23
A knife maker buddy of mine gave me a “shop knife”blank out of AEBL to try, it had off set grinds and wasn’t polished without slabs. It did have a good edge but the handle was uncomfortable so I wrapped it in paracord. I agree I would a nice handle and pins on a $200 knife but it works ok for what it is. Yes they get soaked in blood but washing the knife cleans it up ok. I have paracord thongs on all of my using knives and they get soaked in blood so it’s really no different.
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/19/23
I just picked one of these up Bob Dozier Folding Hunter with Desert Ironwood and Mother-of-Pearl Inlay so hopefully it becomes one of my favorites.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/19/23

My thought exactly. Also, no finger guard to prevent your hand riding up that grip. That James Sponaugle knife earlier in the thread got my curiosity. It had a really nice drop point shape with a great finger guard, scale shape to give you tactile feel for blade angle and a good handle butt with lanyard hole..

I'll share something that some others may have experienced. I've had a number of knives over the years that have felt incredibly sharp, but for whatever reason, they don't seem to work worth a flip on processing deer. They don't have a "grab" when cutting hide, flesh or sinew. A Knives of Alaska knife comes to mind. Part of the issue seems to be "toothiness" (for lack of a better term) of the blade. I think this might be the lack of "micro-serrations" of the blade steel when it's sharpened. I commonly use a Gatco or Lansky sharpener. I've had a number of knives that are much more "usably sharp" when I stop with the medium stone, rather than continuing with the fine or ultra fine stone. I think this is also a factor with a number of the blade steel types too. I think certain steels (and maybe also the hardening processes) lend themselves to better blade edges that have that "grab" when you slice into something.

So, everything is a balance and for me, staying sharp for 50 deer isn't an issue, because I can do some interim sharpening as needed. The end of the season, I'll put the edge back right, but in between, I do my touch-ups that keep me going.
Posted By: Razorhog Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/19/23
gsganzer-

You are absolutely correct about the lack of a finger guard. Why more bladesmith's don't use them I've no clue. I've been looking hard at the Sponaugle Magnacut steel knives. Really good point about the razor sharp ones don't cut as good. My buddy who made several knives said the razorblade sharp knives dull so much quicker than the stoned sharp ones because the stone sharp ones have a " jagged " edge that the eye can't see but is there. Great thread
Hunting knives can come in a lot of configurations. Many do the job well. I’ve posted this before. But this is a Canadian Moose that I completely disassembled alone with a Havalon Piranha and three blades. One lives in my pack along with half a dozen blades. I prefer a good 3-3.5” fixed blade, so I pack one of them everywhere as well. They get the most use.

Posted By: Journeyman Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/20/23
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I was thinking the same thing myself. After one animal it'd be crusty..

I'm no fan of cord wrap either, and have no desire...but why in the hell do your knives get "soaked with blood"?
Posted By: Jimmypop Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/20/23
I'm no fan of cord wrap either, and have no desire...but why in the hell do your knives get "soaked with blood"?[/quote]

Gold pure gold.
Why did you delete your prior post? :

Originally Posted by Jimmypop
Gutting animals!!! Field dressing the heart and lungs seem to for some reason have blood in them.
Originally Posted by Journeyman

Gutting animals!!! Field dressing the heart and lungs seem to for some reason have blood in them.

To which my reply was "why do you stick your knife and hands into the heart and lungs"...

To which my reply was "why do you stick your knife and hands into the heart and lungs"...

Now you are just playing around. I deleted being nice as I'm sure you are joking.
I'm no fan of cord wrap either, and have no desire...but why in the hell do your knives get "soaked with blood"?

Gold pure gold.[/quote]

You'd do well to stop the snarky comments and learn from your betters...

Now you are just playing around. I deleted being nice as I'm sure you are joking.

No, I'm not. I'm deadly serious.

Must not do much killing if you ask questions so stupid! Snarky is a knee jerk reaction to stupid questions.

Must not do much killing if you ask questions so stupid! Snarky is a knee jerk reaction to stupid questions.

Yeah, that's probably it...
My betters! Please do tell. I prefer the day in field ending with blood dripping from my elbows.
Not a lot of field dressing in the Bay Area I take it. Stick to fish and let the men collect the racks.

Ok, my apologies you really don't know and I'm not sure you could. I'll just keep reading and learn.
My preference is a Hendrix.

Ok, my apologies you really don't know and I'm not sure you could. I'll just keep reading and learn.

Thank you. I apologize for coming across as a know-it-all.

Could you maybe post a few pics of how to field dress a critter? Just trying to learn here...!
My preference is a Hendrix.

I've heard of that guy...South Carolina, right?
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/20/23
A paracord wrapped handle on a game knife would have never crossed my mind. Is it even remotely sanitary to have that? Fat, blood etc. Sort of on the same line of why I prefer a fixed blade over a folder, less crevices. I just see nasty written all over a paracord handle.

My favorite knife is a Puma Skinner, but I also have a nice custom that's built somewhat on a Puma Hunters Pal pattern with giraffe bone scales. You'd think the giraffe bone could become slippery, but it doesn't.
Damn'it. I'm back in the State's for Christmas, but to catch up on our cull contracts in the UK a couple of my guys are going to keep shooting until I get back in a week or so. I'm SERIOUSLY scared they don't know how to legally prepare the carcasses for market, since it appears we've been doing it wrong the last 30 years or so!

Damn, how did I get my gameskeeper level renewed last year?

I'm really worried, here? Might we lose all our larder contracts?

Per above: "Could you maybe post a few pics of how to field dress a critter? Just trying to learn here...!"

Yeah, that's probably it...

BTW, what rifle, chambering and bullet/load should I be using for harvesting game for larder? THANKS!
Any thought on scopes?
Binos?
Spotters?
Packs?

Boots?

ETC?, since I'm in learning mode....THANKS again! Truly appreciate the help to my livelihood!!!
Feel free to post photos of a blood free field dressing. I'm new here and don't yet know how to post pictures.
Laughing a culling contract is far from hunting.
Personally I'd just go with a snares and a good bleeder if I didn't have any competition. Seems a waste of powder and lead when it's a government agency Job.

But it's hard to beat SWFA fixed 6 with anything in a creedmoor flinging 147.
SIGS great also.
Boots anything your wife likes you won't be getting dirty anyway.
Feel free to post photos of a blood free field dressing. I'm new here and don't yet know how to post pictures.

Oh gosh no...PLEASE!

I'm resigned to "pure gold", "must not do much killing", "not a lot of field dressing" mode - just trying to learn here, man...

Again, please - I can use the help.

Sorry to be an ass...

Oh gosh no...PLEASE!

I'm resigned to "pure gold", "must not do much killing", "not a lot of field dressing" mode - just trying to learn here, man...

Sorry to be an ass...

Know you aren't, but I like you anyway. Just new here and want to fit in.
Laughing a culling contract is far from hunting.
Personally I'd just go with a snares and a good bleeder if I didn't have any competition. Seems a waste of powder and lead when it's a government agency Job.

But it's hard to beat SWFA fixed 6 with anything in a creedmoor flinging 147.
SIGS great also.
Boots anything your wife likes you won't be getting dirty anyway.

Spent lots of time culling in the Highlands and the Pampas have you?

Oh gosh no...PLEASE!

Sorry to be an ass...

What do you hunt?

Seriously - no snark.. I probably kill a few each year of whatever it is.
Well now you are being mean.
Please show the blood free field dress.
Culling is butchering set up for commercial purposes I'm sure you have a cute little cart that brings everything to a processing facility. If I'm wrong break it down on how it works on a grand scale.
Elk, Deer and Bear in as many states as I can get tags.
Is there a lot of elk and bear in the highlands?

Oh gosh no...PLEASE!

Sorry to be an ass...

What do you hunt?

Seriously - no snark.. I probably kill a few each year of whatever it is.

Again, seriously, NOT to be an ass. Look up gameskeeper and PH certifications, and search for "gralloch" and "game prep". It's a big deal, and as an American, I'm often discusted that American's are known world wide as the least skilled in game preparation...and even shooting for that matter.

We tend to "admire the shot" more than any others, not staying on the gun, working the bolt and being ready for a followup... Hell, was watching a youtube today of hunting in the Nebraska Sandhills...yep, BANG look look "did I hit him?" "is he down"... never, ever cycling the bolt and staying in the scope.

Sad, but it's a real thing and we are known for it.

JUST LIKE the subject of this thread...no idea how to prepare a critter for larder...

Just is what it is...
Is there a lot of elk and bear in the highlands?

Dude, I'm a rancher from Idaho. We "might" have some.
Post a link. I'm pretty good at putting an elk in bags and on boards. Takes about 45 minutes if I'm being lazy.
Oh and I can shoot ok as well.
Which is why I'm begging for your help.

I need to go to bed, but if your Mommy will let you play tomorrow maybe we can get together...
Mom Limits my screen time so I'm not sure. That Lard going for food or extruding stuff?
Posted By: beretzs Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/20/23
Hunting knives can come in a lot of configurations. Many do the job well. I’ve posted this before. But this is a Canadian Moose that I completely disassembled alone with a Havalon Piranha and three blades. One lives in my pack along with half a dozen blades. I prefer a good 3-3.5” fixed blade, so I pack one of them everywhere as well. They get the most use.

Same here, between the little Ingram and the Havalon, I can really put a dent on pretty much everything.
To be fair, my hands did get some blood on them. :-)
Posted By: beretzs Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/20/23
To be fair, my hands did get some blood on them. :-)

Weird, never would've guess... grin
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/21/23
My lease used to have a custom knife builder on it. I'm pretty sure if he ever caught me with a Havalon, he would have stabbed me with it. grin
Posted By: whiteynut Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/23
I'm new here but not really a spring chicken. I've never been able to afford the custom knives but regularly used the Oldtimers when I was younger, sharpfinger being my first. I have spent a lot more time hunting the last 20 or so years and have had really good results with Mora knives for a lower end and Grohman (aka DH Russel) being a little more expensive. I don't have any relation to them other than buying a couple of their knives. My best advice is looking at their factory second list, mine have only had small imperfections on the handles and are very good blades. Trout and bird is very similar to what I have that they're showing on clearance now.
Originally Posted by CanadianLefty

This one:

I received the order. If you have medium to large hands (size large gloves), then it fits well-enough to be worth the loss of weight. If you have XL hands or fattier hands, avoid it as it's super sharp and doesn't have a finger guard.

Weight: It comes in heavier than advertised at 1.1oz (vs 1.0oz), but if I cut the paracord back, it will weigh exactly 1.0oz.
Blade thickness: It's more sturdy and has a thicker blade than the Victorinox Pairing knife. It has the thickness of the Victorinox Rabbit knife.
Blade strength/flex/sharpness: It is more sturdy than the pairing knife, hardly flexes and is almost razor sharp. It will cut paper.

Overall assessment: It will work to skin and cape any deer through elk (a bit smaller than I like). It will be great for Sheep/Goat which is why I purchased it. It's handier and better than a Victorinox Pairing knife (0.7oz) and less likely to have the blade bend or chip which has happened with the pairing knife on elk when working fast.

Is it worth $225 incl. tax and shipping? That's up to the buyer. For me, it's worth it and I will try it out for a season. If it doesn't hold up, I will let you know.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/23
IMO it's hard to beat a Case Trapper.
Posted By: Gojoe Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/22/23
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
True, I have one I bought my dad. It was never used and is as new 43 years old. I looked at one at tractor supply the other day. I'm inclined to search for a new old stock one. They are not as well made today, sadly.
But what is?
Posted By: dave284 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/23/23
I didn't read every reply here but was wandering why nobody had mentioned Case (that I saw). I had one of the Mini Hunters for a few years and it was about my favorite for deer hunting. Lost it in the flood clean-up or I'd still be using it.

https://caseknives.com/collections/...eather-mini-finn-hunter-w-leather-sheath

Case is one of my favorite brands for a mass produced knife. They may not hold an edge as long as some but I can have them back to a very good working edge in a matter of minutes.

If that mini speed goat had scales, I'd order one today. Would probably make a pretty good EDC.
Posted By: tripod3 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/24/23
I too have had a Case Mini Finn for many years. I did not list it as my favorite. It is my little bird and trout, cleaning many blues, ruffed and spruce, not to mention piles of good sized silvers.
It doesn't hold an edge like S30 steel but not skinning big game.
Posted By: longarm Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/24/23

2 elk, 5 blacktails, and a bear with this one so far.
Got a Diamond Blade Summit with stag scales as a gift from a friend. I really like it.

https://www.diamondbladeknives.com/product/summit/
Posted By: Limapapa Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/26/23
Corbet Sigman working hunter from 1983. $40 brand new.

Attached picture 1600(2).jpg
Posted By: POKERFACE6 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/26/23
Originally Posted by Gojoe
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
True, I have one I bought my dad. It was never used and is as new 43 years old. I looked at one at tractor supply the other day. I'm inclined to search for a new old stock one. They are not as well made today, sadly.
But what is?

I have several favorites I use, my son just gave me a Case Trapper for Christmas. I asked him if I should carry and use it or just put it up . He gave me this look and said- you better be using it, that's what knives are for. Gets his smarts from me and good manners and looks from his Mom... Joe
Posted By: SS336 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/27/23
Originally Posted by longarm

2 elk, 5 blacktails, and a bear with this one so far.

Beautiful knife anyway you look at it. 👍👍
Posted By: SS336 Re: Favorite Hunting Knife - 12/27/23
I like a Case Trapper for small game and birds, but for bigger game I prefer a lock back style folder of a fixed blade.
I have trouble holding on to the Trapper with blood on it. Old and weak, I guess.

© 24hourcampfire