Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 20 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 19 20
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Havalon piranha for most. Just replaced an outdoor edge replacement blade that I lost a few years ago.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't know how I missed this thread but here goes...Randall Model 7-5 inch
Bought it from Bo Randall himself in 1972 for the princely sum of $52
Through 50 years and three sheaths, it went everywhere with me.
I passed it along to a very deserving Campfire member here..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by ingwe; 10/06/23.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw

Looks familiar…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

I don't go into the woods without a Buck 180 crosslock. My Dad bought me my first 180 in the late 90's. Unfortunately I lost that one during a hunt..in the late 90's. I have been lucky enough to get a handful off ebay over the years. My Son will be receiving one in the near future, going to give it him when he shoots his first Buck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got my hunting knives out yesterday to make sure they were sharp for the season.
Left to right:
The Knives of Alaska Jaeger Boning knife is new, haven't used it yet, not sure what I'll use it for, we'll see.
The KoA Boning knife is also new, more of a traditional boning knife, will use it at home for grinder prep, separating meat from bone.
The folding Buck stays in my pack, always with me.
The Buck skinner is a good skinning knife, about 20+ years and counting.
The KoA Bushcamp knife works well for quartering game after skinning, also about 20+ years.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by 257Bob; 10/09/23.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Those Bucklites ^ ^ ^ are a good knife.
I have an identical green handle one
and an orange one. I lost the green
one for about a week and finally found
it where I'd dropped it. I painted it yellow,
but the paint didn't last quite a month
before it all flaked off. Good sharp
knives
Always wanted one of those Vanguards,
but since I've wanted one they've always
cost more than I wanted to spend.
I think they're close to $90.00 now

Good usable selection

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Heathen.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
I lose knives like they're beer empties. I have several decent fixed blades and folders scattered throughout the west. My favorite was an older fixed blade that didn't have any markings other than "Made in Germany". It held a really good edge. It has been somewhere in Devil's Playground WSA in Wyoming since 2012.

I mainly use a havalon piranta these days, though I have random other knives in various places in the house and vehicle. I suck ass at sharpening anyhow.

After skinning a grizzly and two moose this fall thus far, my choice hasn't changed...bought an Ingram and it feels awesome but truth be told, after 5 minutes of working on a moose I put it up and went pack to the havalon.
Got a bunch more things to kill this fall and suspect everything but the havalon will collect dust.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Those Bucklites ^ ^ ^ are a good knife.
I have an identical green handle one
and an orange one. I lost the green
one for about a week and finally found
it where I'd dropped it. I painted it yellow,
but the paint didn't last quite a month
before it all flaked off. Good sharp
knives
Always wanted one of those Vanguards,
but since I've wanted one they've always
cost more than I wanted to spend.
I think they're close to $90.00 now

Good usable selection

Yes, they are lightweight for sure, great for a pocket or pack. I have another with an orange handle that seems odd until you drop it in the woods!

The Vanguard is a perfect skinner, don't know what it cost 20+ years ago (my sons gave it to me) but all knives are crazy expensive these days unless you get knives for professional kitchen work which can be quite affordable. I've got a kitchen full of Dexter/Russell chef knives that are in the $20-30 range which are high-carbon, stain free, which makes them much easier to sharpen.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With I could find the damn thing.....because it really was my favorite.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Benchmade steep country. Easy to clean, holds an edge forever, and super light.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm really liking that KOA boning knife, sure wish it came with one of their nice leather sheaths.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My favorite for quite a few years now is this Nessmuk. It started out as a thin bladed 6" butcher. I took a hacksaw and files to it until it matched the original Nessmuck then added an antler handle from one of my bucks. Got to have the lanyard for hanging on a limb while gutting so you don't loose it in the snow (ask me how I know!).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I own a ton of knives, mostly Buck folders and fixed blades, Gerbers, and a few Rapala filet knives I use for cutting up meat and removing backstraps. Lately, I have been using Outdoor Edge replaceable blade models, and really like them. No sharpening needed, and a razor-sharp blade makes gutting, skinning, etc. a lot easier.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lslite
I'm really liking that KOA boning knife, sure wish it came with one of their nice leather sheaths.

Agreed but it's probably best used when the game is back at camp for final processing. Not sure how it would work for general field use.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also have this Cutco knife that was given to me as a gift, it's actually pretty handy for cutting through skin when you are trying to keep your other knives sharp for actual skinning and processing. I think Cutco is generally overpriced but as a gift, it's pretty useful.

https://www.cutco.com/p/clip-point-outdoor-knife

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Found it. Cool. It was laying right there, in the last place I looked.

Looked for a replacement while it was "lost" and can't find it listed anywhere anymore. Wish I'd bought 2 or 3 back then.

Nothing special, just an old Gerber with non-serated blade and black "rubber" handle. Holds an edge like nothing I've ever seen. Fits my hand, handle gets "grippy" when covered in blood.

Guts, skins, butchers, et al. Damn good knife.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Swearingen Nessmuk for my skinning. Benchmade Meatcrafter for cutting the loins out. Silky pruning saw to cut elk or moose leg bones.

Arky
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Cabelas Alaskan Guide Alpha with the gut hook. Great knife - used it for over 20 years. Before that was the Schrade Sharp Finger. Eying a Robert Erickson Harpoon Point now, though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After a hunting career of over 50 years, with most of my Big Game hunts being Solo Hunts and using a lot of commercially available knives, my favorite by far is the Swing Blade by Outdoor Edge.

Gets the job done Fast!

KB

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
Heathen.

I lose knives like they're beer empties. I have several decent fixed blades and folders scattered throughout the west. My favorite was an older fixed blade that didn't have any markings other than "Made in Germany". It held a really good edge. It has been somewhere in Devil's Playground WSA in Wyoming since 2012.

I mainly use a havalon piranta these days, though I have random other knives in various places in the house and vehicle. I suck ass at sharpening anyhow.

After skinning a grizzly and two moose this fall thus far, my choice hasn't changed...bought an Ingram and it feels awesome but truth be told, after 5 minutes of working on a moose I put it up and went pack to the havalon.
Got a bunch more things to kill this fall and suspect everything but the havalon will collect dust.

Happy?

[Linked Image from y.yarn.co]

Page 14 of 20 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1Longbow, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,527
Posts18,491,115
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.