Home
A recent discussion, I've yet to meet a woman that will hunt alone.

I have yet to meet one, or know of one, that actually hunts a good portion of time on their own. I have known them to go with husband/boyfriend but never alone.

I keep hoping to meet one in the woods....
yes
Leave the snubnose at home....
Until my wife had my son, she used to. Now its like pulling teeth to get her to go with me. Ryan
Brenda Valentine
Dave- if that happened, would your current tag-along kick your ass or hers?
Originally Posted by RL KURTZ
Brenda Valentine

???????
Steelhead,
Here is a link..
http://www.brendavalentine.com/
[Linked Image]
You know her? I'm thinking hunting with a camera crew don't count...
Yes, I have talk to her very nice lady.. She hunts turkey in missouri alot and yes alone some times because that is what she did growing up as a kid..
I still need to do another MO turkey hunt. More of a revenge hunt actually.........
MO is the state to hunt turkey/revenge hunt as we are over populated but thats a good thing..grins..
My girlfriend doesn't even like to wander 100 yards away from the campsite to go take a whiz. Yesterday she said it would be a good idea to get one of those porta toilets that she saw in a Cabelas mag.
Needless to say she don't hunt, alone or otherwise.
I like it that way..........
I hunted the Salem area before and I owe those birds some payback....
HaHa Salem was that in the deep woods? I hunt in the fields in southeast and middle missouri..
It was private property, lots of fields and of course timber. I still have a decoy that has holes in it from a gobbler trying to breed it, don't ask for the rest of the story.......
Yup, them gobblers can be tuff to hit with a tight choke shotgun some times because of the awesome eye sight its hard to draw on him with out being busted.. grin
my wife...went out by herself last season while I was away in moose camp. I had our truck, so she took the Ford Focus wagon.

She just wanted to get out for a pleasant day, but wound up dropping a 151" 5x5 whitetail, her first trophy class deer. The real trick was getting it in the back of the car!

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r22/wind_drift/HPNX0067.jpg
Hella cool..
DoggieDame has hunted alone, but I don't "know" her. smile
Great buck, good for her!
Yes. Our SCI Chapter had two sinlge women members that would go hunting w/o men. In fact, one of them is quail hunting in SC today. I say HAD because the other met a man while on a trip to AK and is now married and living there. It appears demand is high!
My best hunting buddies wife will go out alone, especially archery hunting. They have 2 young kids and will take turns babysitting evenings during the week while the other hunts. My buddy still does all of the scouting, prep work, etc.. so all she has to do is go out and sit. She has borrowed a gun to hunt in the past, but this year I gave her a laminated/blue M7 7-08 which she loves and used to drop a 7 point first day of PA gun season. My Grandma would also go out and hunt on her own. Mostly squirrel and deer hunting. She is going on 80 now, doesn't hunt as of a few years ago (due to the issues that come with getting older), and is losing short term memory, but just the other day told my mom out of the blue that she wanted to go hunting again this year.

-Lou
Yup, this gal sure does[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

She's my wife BTW:
Sure do, this gal right here is a good outfitter/bear guide and tougher than most the men on this site. http://www.bearhunt-solowayoutfitters.com/ I hunted with Debbie a few years ago and she runs the whole show in her hunting camp. The men work for her and not the other way around. She's been in the guiding business pretty much all her life and knows her stuff. There was also a good looking gal (hunter) in camp that week that was a hard core hunter. Last I heard she was living in Alberta. She was single and didn't have the patients to wait for some man to teach her how to hunt, so she went and got after things on her own. She has a pretty impressive collection of deer, antelope, bear, and cougar. To have only met her when I was looking...
I know 5 in this community (3 rifle and 2 archery), and I'm married to one. 1minute
Sure do. She's hunted alone most of her life. Rifle, shotgun
but not archery. Has hunted alone in about 10 states.

She makes knives and fishing poles too!

What's the big deal? confused

Wow! Awesome animal. Good on her (and you!).
My wife doesn't like getting up early on vacation. She quit hunting a while ago but still goes on some of the trips to take care of the horses. She's helped pack 6 elk, some of the trips being a mile or better off trail to get to a spot we could easily get the horses to.

A couple years ago it was just me, her, our dog, and four ponies 14 miles into the wilderness. She decided to go on a trail ride to whip some manners on my horse. I was out hunting and she left at noon or so. I knew where she said she was going and figured she be back by dinner.

It got dark and she wasn't there. I took another horse and a couple of headlamps and started looking to see if she needed help. I saw part of where she went and assumed I missed her on the way back to camp. It was clear that she'd come back down from the riskier part of the trail.

She wasn't at camp. She took a side trail and ended riding a mere 35 miles in a loop, up over a pass where she had to dismount because the horse was slipping on the ice, and back down to the drainage we were camped in. She got back just short of midnight.

Her decision making skills in the area of what to take (no map) and when to just turn around (split available daylight hours in half) needed some work but riding in the dark and finding her way back (with help from my horse since he's been places she hadn't) were above average. She wasn't worried about spending the night in the woods by herself. She had her coat, slicker, hat, and the dog to keep her warm.
No, I dont know any. I met one woman hunting alone for elk a few years ago but thats the only one I've ever ran into, she was alone at the time but was camping with a party.

Jamie
Cool, I've heard of it but had no first hand knowledge of it. Pretty much the same with hunters using AR rifles, heard about it but have never seen it.........
yep but not my wife she hates it. Too bad cause I would love to get her in the woods. grin HAPPY HUNTING
My aunt does. Sorry no pics.
My wife hunts , mostly with me. She has taken the pups pheasant hunting while I was out of state.
I also know a couple of female Jaegers in Germany.
Sent my wife to a BOW weekend. She will hunt now, but doesn't like fresh guts too much. She will take me along if I bring a knife.

We used to have a neighbor that would gut animals for her husband, he had the weak stomach. Then he had an operation and the pain pills made him goofy, so he shot her and then himself. It was rumored she was going to leave him.
My daughter likes to hunt and my sister used to. One of my female friends hunts too. Neither my wife nor daughter are concerned by guts or blood. Good thing too, our daughter is going to be a doctor.
I know of two that hunt alone around here but none out west....
My aunt was one of the best deer hunters I knew. She is a little plder now and a little slower but she still goes.
My wife hunts alone, but she only recently got serious in this endeavor, and so far it usually involves a family trip. She already has a lot of outdoor experience though (more than me), because she has done some Ironman distance triathlons and some 100 mile (foot) races through the mountains, which require a lot of solo training, the last 10 years in the mountains. She�d frequently come back from a 10 or 20 mile training run and talk about all the sign and critters she saw. She really likes to bushwack, going off trail just to see what�s over the next hill. Now that our son is hunting, she is starting to put that energy into hunting. She covers a lot more ground in a hunt than I do. In 2005 she went out and got her own antelope although I was not too far away hunting with our son. She sometimes plans to take the truck and go hunt when I can�t, but for whatever reason scheduling has gotten in the way. It�s not a confidence thing, just a timing thing. I figure she�ll do it this year, though, because she has developed a list of honey holes for various species.
yep my wife. she's a very sucessful hunter to boot
I've never run into a woman hunting alone in the woods. But, the wife of a buddy of mine hunts alone. Only one I ever heard of that does, except for the few written about in one of the hunting magazines a few months ago.
A rarity... It's not in their genes.

Don
There's a gal at the gun club that hunts, and her husband doesn't. There's something you don't see everyday. I'm married to a lady who's a fair weather hunter (no wind, no rain, no deep snow, no cold, no early mornings), but she'll clean and cooks what she kills. I'll take it....... LOL! Dutch.
Helluva deer for man or women. My wife's best is also a 151, 10 point.
My wife would hunt and kill a deer alone, but field dressing it ain't gonna happen. She has a fairly weak stomach and a very strong nose. That would be a problem.
She and my son blood trailed and dragged out his doe last year. I was impressed. She didn't grow up hunting, but after 15 years with me she has caught the hutner bug.

Stumpy
No, sorry to say I do not know any women who are serious about hunting. I know several who enjoy shooting and will go hunting with their husbands, but they would not go without the husband along to do the dirty work. I know one women who is a serious fly fisher-person, but she has a girlfriend.

I knew a lady who was a serious skeet shooter, she also went with her husband.

Nope, I never meet a lady who hunted or fished unless she was in the company of her father, boyfriend, or husband. I think most girls still see it as an activity to do with the "boys".
I've a good (female) friend who routinely hunts alone. She's also worked as a wrangler at a number of different dude ranches in varous western states and as well as working in Alaska for one season.

Currently, she's working for the state Wildlife & Fisheries laboratory where she lives.
No
My wife who hunts alone.My sister also hunts by herself and has many archery kills undewr her belt.

[Linked Image]
My wife hunts deer and turkey with bow and shotgun by herself on or farm. I rule on turkeys but, she has the biggest buck on the wall in our house. She got him while I took our son to the doctor. My wife will help with dressing a deer, just won't do it herself.
Yes
Steelhead, Ya just gotta get out more often...to the shopping malls.
Thousands of women hunting...They prepare too!.
Read the ads in the papers, clip coupons, talk to their gal friends...finaegle the checkbook for their 'hunting' excursions, even deceive their significant others at times..

Seen a few hunting in bars and dance halls too many years ago..
Look of a hungry lioness about them mostly..:) Jim
Originally Posted by jim in Oregon
Steelhead, Ya just gotta get out more often...to the shopping malls.
Thousands of women hunting...They prepare too!.
Read the ads in the papers, clip coupons, talk to their gal friends...finaegle the checkbook for their 'hunting' excursions, even deceive their significant others at times..

Seen a few hunting in bars and dance halls too many years ago..
Look of a hungry lioness about them mostly..:) Jim

Ya a cougar attack looking for a place to happen.
Hopefully I am raising two...
I am a woman hunter who routinely hunts alone. I have quartered my own elk and loaded the truck. I don't know what is all the fuss here...
My wife is a four foot eleven inch....four foot eleven and 3/4 inch tall LPN. She's tiny...petite. She works a lot of hours but if there is daylight when she gets home then she suits up and heads out back until dark, by herself. Well, I'm up there too but I'm always way high and she won't try to get that high with that little of daylight left. So, unless I remember a radio, she's really kinda on her own...

She's done that many times until this last year. She overheard me tellin' the boys to be watchin' out for that 600ish lb'er while they waited on the bus to come in the mornings, as I had seen it cross the road a few yards down from the end of our driveway. They like to play in the woods and mess around in the creek before the bus gets there, don't want the boys gettin' sneaked up on by no big blackie.

She stopped goin' up back by herself after that, I can't figure why, but she did......

Hell, she's carryin' a gun and I do give her shells for it...
Hell, she's carryin' a gun and I do give her shells for it...
Just one like Barney Fife? ....grin
I know two Debras who hunt on their own. One is Debra Bradbury in Wyoming. The other is Debra Morvac in Montana. Debra Morvac has never bothered to put a scope on her Remington .243. She just goes out and shoots elk and deer with it using the factory open sights.
Steelhead
Now you done brought up the AR too..... my wife hunted a lot in her younger years, fished too. She has mostly quit hunting now and is mostly into taking pictures. But she goes along with me on lots of my hunts, backpack stuff into wilderness and so on. I actually like taking photos too, but generally get wound up into the hunting and don't take the time.... She mostly bowhunted when she was hunting, rifle shooting wasn't any kind of challenge, though she did hunt with pistols for a few years and a muzzleloader one year.

She shot highpower rifle with me for many years and is a distinguised rifleman(woman) with a master classification using the AR15 and previously the M14. It was pretty interesting taking her with to Camp Perry the first year though. She had never really been away from home much and then to go all the way to Ohio from TX and not have me around for her, she'd be off on another range shooting all day and on her own. But that was a good way to start the hunting on her own too. She learned all the ropes. Thats why bows were more interesting to her as a weapon fwiw. She has also hunted with an AR a lot, and when the yotes around the house get thick she carries a shorty AR when she walks the dogs on the farm.

She will clean game if I don't do it for her. I actually enjoy the trailing and cleaning of game while others think of it as work, so I normally clean what she shoots while she mixes me a few drinks...not a bad trade off.

Now to the real meat of the question. I don't know of any woman that has started on their own with no outside influence and gone all the way. But even finding a male that has done the same is tough. Usually some kind of influence that makes em start.

Personally I wish there were more, its always fun to have more than just the guys out there on hunts. But thats me.

Jeff
Have met a few around here that do but is certainly not common.

Know an old Indian gal, Grandma Helen, she had to hunt to feed her kids after their dad died. She killed anything that moved to put food in the pot. She knew some tough times, but she is a class act all the way.
my wife wont hunt on her own..........she has some minor problems with her ankles and hips and is worried about getting hurt out in the middle of nowhere without help. much in the same way i get a bit ancy going out myself with my bad knees, the ACL in my right knee is already partially torn.....the doc said it could hold out fine for the rest of my life or it could let loose on a stumble tomorrow, kinda makes one think twice on going out alone......

however my wifes best friend has no problems going out on her own and has left her fiance home on several occations cause she wanted to hunt by herself........
Yep, and not afraid to be in the woods alone.
My wife hunts on her own all the time. Her showing up with a deer in the back of the jeep is not a surprise(she shoots a ruger 30-06). Chases quail with her britt all the time as well. My oldest daughter, a soph in college, is all the time "borrowing" guns to go hunt by herself. They just like to hunt, with me or others.
Originally Posted by bearmgc
I am a woman hunter who routinely hunts alone. I have quartered my own elk and loaded the truck. I don't know what is all the fuss here...

No fuss, just curious.

Women hunting alone are akin to unicorns, heard about them but never seen one........
I was kidding about the fuss part. Actually I'm kinda proud of myself, to be honest. If you hunt the Bridger National Forest and Wilderness,Wyoming, you'll probably see a few "unicorns".
Just like a woman, to overreact....
I've been hunting whitetails alone since I was 15 or so. My husband decided to try deer hunting after we met. I thought it would be great- we could sit in the stand together and enjoy the sunrise. Well, I ended up almost kicking him out of the stand- he was very fidgety. I had him shoot a doe that came by- it was the only deer we had seen, and I didn't think he was going to be able to wait any longer. That was the first and last time we sat together. Since he prefers prairie dogs to deer, he is content these days to stay in with the kids while I go out to my deer stand. We do some bird hunting together, and shoot sporting clays together.
So, I wouldn't say we are "unicorns", more like white rhinos. Very rare but definitely of this earth.
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude....
Smooth, ain't I? ...grin...
Still laffin...
KYHillChick won't hunt, but every year she mentions how ugly turkeys are, and how they're looking more and more huntable to her.

She also has this thing against squirrels. It's due to a bad experience she had on our first big camping trip. She could kill a squirrel, just to watch it die.

Hunt? No, I don't think we'll see her out there in the near future.
buddies wife hunts, and killed a 116 4/8" coues buck! owner of Coueswhitetail.com AManda is a huntin machine. other than that, i dont know any other female hunters. would like to meet a good lookin 21-23 year old up here in flagstaff who likes to hunt just as much as me!
I thought some might find this of interest:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
http://www.womenhunters.com/

[Linked Image]
http://www.womenhunters.com/meet-the-ladies.html

-Bob F.

Actually bearmgc is being somewhat conservative. I'ld venture that just about any hunting area here in Wy is going to have female hunters.
My mom and a couple of my aunts, a few of my cousins, my exwife, wife and sister inlaw and a whole passel of family friends (female) all hunt, do their own shooting, gutting, and help with packing the meat out.
I am one. I hunt them whenever I get the chance. Being single it is always open season!
I know one and she has an equal number of tooth(yes! tooth) 70 ish y/o lady up near my deer camp.Have never met any others. If I could meet one that would hunt and fish that would be awsome.
There was a lady named HoundGirl who posted a lot while trying to collect a blacktail deer this past season. She was offered a lot of help on her hunts in Washington or Oregon, but said she wanted to do it completely by herself. She started out asking questions about which rifle to buy, which caliber, scope, then deer hunting tactics and the whole nine yards. According to her posts, she went out every single day during the season, but unfortunately, did not collect a deer. The way this lady hunted and did what she did was, and is, a tribute to all hunters. I guess she did not want to post on this thread. Tom Purdom
I'm pretty sure Houndgirl turned out to be a dude...at least, I read that somewhere...
This may not qualify as hunting alone, but any woman who will walk up to a polar bear and kill it with a bow and arrow has to qualify as a very gutsy hunter. Here is the story about Michele Leqve, the "Xtreme Bowhuntress"

Leqve Is First Woman To Arrow A Polar Bear
My wife hunts alone a lot, partly because she likes to sit in the whitetail woods, while I prefer hiking around the mule deer hills. She will even hunt alone when I am gone on a trip. Cam,ed back from a hunt in some other state once to find a whitetail hanging in the barn. She had to float it down a creek for about half a mile to get it out of the thick stuff where it was killed.

I know several more women who hunt alone. Maybe that's more common in the West than elsewhere.

John Barsness
Check out this girl, on the cover of the Oregon Game Regs.
http://bp0.blogger.com/_dOW-I0QpMVY/RdUP45JG53I/AAAAAAAAAE8/z-yrwTPUetc/s1600-h/Wild+Turkey.jpeg

She recently hosted a party where she killed everything served, it included Duck, elk, crab, salmon, goose, cougar, and some other stuff too.

She's a doctor, rides a Harley and hunts more than most guys I know.

To answer the question before it comes up, she's straight and single. Want me to send her your way Steelhead?

My wife loves to hunt!
Mine hunts alone a lot. During Deer season it is nothing for her to be in the blind when I call. She enjoys it and is not afraid to be out alone. She has gotten several large deer on her own. The last couple of years she has started hunting Turkeys. Two weeks ago she picked off some piglets as the mother was in the trap. I was amazed. She has come a long way since we met. I've put up with her for the last 27 years. I need a Medal. smile

Jim
Great story, WindDrift!
My last girlfriend liked to hunt - bows only.

I don't really "know" the other girl but she works the counter at the local gun emporium - big chain type of place. Good person behind the counter - knows the difference between a 308 and 223 boltface and once (being an azz) I asked "Ya got anything in 275 Rigby ?" she casually looked at me and said "Nothing in 7mm Mauser but we have a coupla 7-08 which would be very close and I can get you a Mauser in Ruger #1 - gonna take a few days".

I looked at my brother and said "It just moved". wink

Later I noticied her picture all over the employee bragging board with ducks, geese, some fish and good shooter deer.

I plan on becomming more regular at that place. wink
My wife hunted alone shortly before we got engaged and now she hunts with me.

She's also responsible for rekindling my fondness for fishing. She's nagging me to get out there and cast....not the other way around.

We're going to bowhunt this year for elk and I'm looking forward to her getting her first bull on videotape.....should be quite cool.

We shoot our bows together after work....Fish....Shoot shotgun, rifle, and handguns.

I'm a lucky feller, I must admit.

[Linked Image]

We were dating for about 2 weeks when she showed up at my shop with 3 trout fillets she had caught that morning at the local reservoir by herself.....She is the only girl I know of who fishes by herself.

To say I was hooked was an understatement. grin
My wife hunts and fishes with me. She is a rarity though as there aren't too many outdoorswomen around these parts....
My wife hunted the first time this year. She is hooked! It only took 22 years.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by wildone
I know one and she has an equal number of tooth(yes! tooth) 70 ish y/o lady up near my deer camp.Have never met any others. If I could meet one that would hunt and fish that would be awsome.

Not thinking you'll be finding many on the streets of Long Island wildone crazy

Gotta head outta the city and heck you met 2 females that hunt and fish your last trip to AK.. grin
I've just registered at the campfire and this looks like a good topic to start off with. I have hunted alone many times, almost always on family land or a friend's land, not on public land. Thats not because I was afraid of who I might encounter in the boonies, but because I was raised on a ranch and have access to a lot of private land.
Ive known several female hunters, starting with a friend back in high school and all would go off on their own and hunt. I dont necessarily mean go off on a trip alone, just hunt a different part of the mountain than the others in the group.

Cooll! Welcome to the fire Lady. Beware of the Campfire coffee. It makes ya nutz.
OK, i will ask the million dollar question for you guys... bighorn mtn girl, are ya lookin or hitched already???????
My wife hunts with me and has shot some game including a nice black bear. I've had quite a few Lady hunters in Africa too, none in Alaska though. Several of the ladies were hunting with husbands, and one in particular had her husband hunting with her. She seemed to be the more serious, or agressive of the two where hunting was concenred.

I have two ladies hunting this season well over 60 years old, and one father daughter team both hunting. The Daughter is 16 Years old.

I realize in this business I have greater resolution to the kinds of people you run into that hunt. I would not say that there are a lot of Female hunters, but enough that I no longer see it as a surprise or anything unusual.

There are also a few things that are very nice, or .........Hmmm not sure how to put this into English...........They are far more emotional, and much more satisfying to be with when they shoot something. Tears of joy remove all doubt about what they feel. Guys sometimes are hard to figure out. Ladies always seem to show with huge python level hugs, tears, smiles and pure joy. Guys not so much visual or emotional display.

One lady in particular after hours of tracking and a very diffuclt sneak through the grass and bush on hands and knees, made a magnificant shot folding a Zebra in it's tracks at well over 200 yards, I had to remind her that her husband was behind us watching! She nearly stopped my breathing with her death clamp hug, and the tears and her shaking and trembling followed.

This type of reaction to hunting is simply as good as it gets for me and makes my job so much more fun. When guys start doing this I'll have to find a new job!
Well tomahawk I'm not hitched as in married but I do have a guy broken in like a real comfortable pair of boots..... so I'm not really looking either.
Sorry Elf . No disrespect to you or MT blush, I was refering to my local area. I guess I gotta get up to the Daks ! grin grin
man, I'm always huntin' females!!!!!!!!!
Still look 'in but 'aint seen her in my woods yet...grin [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
I know one around here; see her truck damn near every weekend...she hikes into alpine, runs a jon-boat around northern end of island by herself, hunts ducks...most times I see her alone; seen her with different guys once or twice. Not your average sheila--don't think she's out to prove anything, just likes to get out there.

© 24hourcampfire