Home
Posted By: lawnman folding knives? - 12/17/11
Just curious, how many of you like to use a folding knife for gutting and skinning of your smaller big game,deer antelope etc. Always looking to lighten my carry weight and bulk and thought I might give a good folding knife a try. But now.. which one?
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: folding knives? - 12/17/11
Thats all I use now. I have knives I used from the 50's but now its folders.

Here is my favorite folder, a Winchester. I used another 'Winchester' the other day however. Just pick one up in a store. The ones that also have a serrated blade are best for sawing thru the sternum.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pointer Re: folding knives? - 12/17/11
I whole heartedly can recommend a Cabelas Alaskan Guide series knife made for them by Buck. It's the same as their 110 model, but with S30V steel. Very sharp and stays sharp. Mine's been through 3 elk, a mtn goat, 7 pronghorn, 4 mulies, and 3 whitetails without being sharpened. I use it for gutting, skinning and some deboning.
Posted By: elkcountry Re: folding knives? - 12/17/11
I've been using the same Buck 110 folder since I got it from my dad for Christmas when I was 16 (1985). It's been thru 8 elk, a few mulies, a dozen antelope, most of a moose and scores of ducks and geese. Yes I've sharpened it but many times it was only a slight touch up, not really a sharpening.

Last year I bought one of Outdoor Edge's Flip and Zip with the blaze orange handle. It's got the folding blade and the best gut blade I've used. The folding blade has done a mule deer, 1 elk and 3 antelope and I haven't even touched the blade up yet! It still shaves hair off of my arm (my wife hates when I do that)!

I like using the folders for the simple fact they are compact and I can keep them on my belt. I've tried to keep a fixed blade on my belt but they end up riding shotgun in my daypack.

Shoot straight,
Elk Country
Posted By: mudhen Re: folding knives? - 12/17/11
I used a Buck 110 for many years as a working deer biologist and researcher, but switched to a Kershaw 1050 Folding Field when I started hunting elk seriously. Like Elkcountry, I like the way the folders ride on my belt, unnoticed, until I need them.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: folding knives? - 12/17/11
Yup, got a Buck folder dad bought me as a kid. Does deer just fine.
Posted By: Maarty Re: folding knives? - 12/17/11
I used to use Mercator knives for everything from small game and skinning possums to field dressing big game.
Ones like this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/cam...sses/pocket-knives/auction-431660236.htm
Posted By: Maarty Re: folding knives? - 12/17/11
These are also very good:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hunting-shooting/knives/pocket-knives/auction-432291985.htm
Posted By: Westcoaster Re: folding knives? - 12/17/11
I've used this one for a number of years with good results. I bought the one with D2 steel. I can generally do a moose or two elk before I have to touch the blade up.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=140&r=xtreme%2Easp%3Fc%3D43
Posted By: Winnie Re: folding knives? - 12/17/11
My cheapo Winchester skins rabbits and coyotes no problem. I have yet to have a chance to try on a deer yet.
Posted By: elkhuntinguide Re: folding knives? - 12/17/11
I wear two of the Victorinox paring knives along with a G5 broadhead sharpener around my neck...

In my pocket I run a Kershaw folder but very seldom do I ever have to reach in the pocket...

I gut, skin, quarter/de-bone a ton of animals each year and I hardly ever use more than the two on my neck unless I leave one behind somewhere... At $3 a piece they are hard to beat...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Waders Re: folding knives? - 12/17/11
Buck 501. Leave the leather sheath at home and just stick it in your pocket.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: folding knives? - 12/17/11
Buck 110 for about 30 years. I just switched to the Swingblade, and keep the Buck as a backup.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: folding knives? - 12/18/11
Buck 110 for 25 years and an Old Timer Folding Hunter before that have done a lot of gutting duty for me.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: folding knives? - 12/18/11
Case XX-Changer

I don't gut anymore, just skin & quarter.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BC30cal Re: folding knives? - 12/18/11
lawnman;
We've used a lot of different folders over the years, mainly for deer but with a few bear and a couple moose and sheep thrown in as well.

This is a mixture of the blades that have seen the most use in the last few years.
[Linked Image]

From the left, the folders are:
- Buck Vantage Pro - S30V blade with custom blaze orange scales
- Buck Vantage Pro - S30V blade
- Spyderco Centofante III - VG10 blade
- Vintage Gerber folders - I've no idea what the blades are, but it's really hard steel whatever they used. wink
- Gerber Gator Mate - limited run 154CM blade

All of them work really quite well in our experience. Here's a couple "field shots" of the Vantage Pro in use.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The blaze orange Vantage Pro and the older Gator Mate are the main ones I carry these days, but there are no flies on the Spyderco or the older Gerbers either.

Actually both of our girls have the Buck Vantage folders with their 420HC blades and they work just fine too.

Here's a shot from a year or three back.
[Linked Image]

Hopefully that was some use to you, good luck with your knife shopping whichever way you choose.

All the best to you this Christmas season.

Regards,
Dwayne

Posted By: tzone Re: folding knives? - 12/18/11
Originally Posted by Waders
Buck 501. Leave the leather sheath at home and just stick it in your pocket.
[Linked Image]

Dat's what I do every day. I don't leave home without it.
Posted By: tkinak Re: folding knives? - 12/18/11
If you truly want light the KOA feather light is a nice knife in D2. Sharp son of a gun that weighs nothing.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=38&r=store%2Easp%3Fc%3D44

Looking hard at one of these mini or full size in s30v:

http://www.dougritter.com/pp/pic2062.htm

http://www.knifeworks.com/dougritterknives-gear.aspx
Posted By: cooperfan Re: folding knives? - 12/18/11
I just bought a Havalon Piranta (orange). Haven't used it yet, but it sure is light and sharp.
Posted By: cooperfan Re: folding knives? - 12/18/11
FYI---Nitrile gloves are cheap and work great.
Posted By: weaselsRus Re: folding knives? - 12/18/11
Originally Posted by cooperfan
I just bought a Havalon Piranta (orange). Haven't used it yet, but it sure is light and sharp.

Yep, swap out dull a blade in 3 seconds. I carry a fixed blade for tough cutting just to save on the Havalon.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: folding knives? - 12/18/11
Originally Posted by cooperfan
FYI---Nitrile gloves are cheap and work great.

cooperfan;
Thank you for that I do appreciate it.

In the spirit of full disclosure you aren't the first that has made the suggestion to me upon seeing those photos. blush

For reasons I'm unable to articulate at present when either gutting animals, skinning or cutting meat I don't prefer to wear gloves.

The truly ironic thing here is the fact that I literally live in these at work nowadays after a mechanic friend recommended them to me.

http://www.watsongloves.com/catalogdetails-work-5555PF--Grease_Monkey.htm

Prior to finding these 8mil jobs, we used a lot of 5 mil nitrile gloves in both the cabinet finishing department where I spend most of my day at work or when wrenching on any broken machines.

Lastly, as a long time Occupational First Aid attendant there, we've been using gloves to reduce our risk of contacting blood borne pathogens for years.

Anyway, with apologies for taking so long with my response but hopefully you are able to see the humor and irony of a fellow who lives in nitrile gloves but doesn't use them when he's hunting? I know - crazy blush

For what it's worth though, the Grease Monkeys are the toughest nitrile gloves I've used, while still maintaining a reasonable amount of tactile feeling for your fingers.

Thanks again for the suggestion sir and all the best in the upcoming Christmas season.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: North61 Re: folding knives? - 12/18/11
I use two discontinued Spyderco's a lot. The C48 Wegner is an amazing knife with an almost perfect Loveless style blade shape.

For moose I like the Impala as it has a bit more belly for skinning.

Lately I have gone to plastic handled Victorinox fixed blades. Light, cheap and easy to carry with homemade sheaths. 4110 steel is easy to sharpen with a steel and you can skin all day long.
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: folding knives? - 12/18/11
BC........Your post reminds why I've use the gutless method for the last 20 years. smile
Posted By: Prwlr Re: folding knives? - 12/18/11
Gerber Gatoe drop point 154CM blade.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: folding knives? - 12/18/11
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
BC........Your post reminds why I've use the gutless method for the last 20 years. smile
I tried my 1st gutless job on an elk more than 15 years ago. I haven't gutted one since. I've gutted a few deer in the meantime, but only when it's easier to just drag the deer out instead of dissecting it on the spot.

I'm not an aficionado of fancy custom knives. I just want one that will stay sharp and get the job done. It's hard to beat a Buck 110 for that.
Posted By: logcutter Re: folding knives? - 12/18/11
Folding knives is all I carry anymore..If a guy has a good Buck and an Uncle Henry in his pocket,he can skin his way out of all the tags he has without ever touching up.

Jayco
Posted By: jwcox3 Re: folding knives? - 12/19/11
Buck 110
Posted By: Cheesy Re: folding knives? - 12/19/11
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
I wear two of the Victorinox paring knives along with a G5 broadhead sharpener around my neck...

In my pocket I run a Kershaw folder but very seldom do I ever have to reach in the pocket...

I gut, skin, quarter/de-bone a ton of animals each year and I hardly ever use more than the two on my neck unless I leave one behind somewhere... At $3 a piece they are hard to beat...

[Linked Image]

I just picked up a Kershaw like you've got in that pic, the Gentleman's Folder. I've seen it recommended numerous times on here, found it on Amazon for $45 a couple weeks ago. Didn't come with a sheath, but got one from a local knife shop for $3. Haven't used it on anything yet, but will give it a try during our January doe season.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: folding knives? - 12/19/11

Bucklite. I received a orange handled one as a tip when guiding in the (late 80's?). I wasn't impressed with the knife or goofy orange handle--until I tried it. It instantly became my fav--expecially the first time I dropped it in 18 inches of fresh powder......

Since then, I have received two more as tips. One was issued to Desert Storm troops with a camo handle that a Desert Storm vet gave me--I've never seen one with that style of camo.

So I have a blaze orange one, a camo one, and .... one with a "mauve" colored handle.

So now I use the orange one for rifle killed elk, the camo one for bow killed elk, and the mauve one I figure is AC/DC and swings both ways....so to speak....... eek

Casey
Posted By: Timberbuck Re: folding knives? - 12/19/11
The buck 110 cabelas alaskan guide in S30v stainless is a good one.

Check out the Spyderco Stretch lightweight in the ZDP-189 stainless-it will seroiusly hold an edge around 3 to 4 times longer than those old bucks in 420 stainless.

These new PM steels (powder metalurgy) like s30v,zdp-189,cpm m4 ect. have easily noticable edge holding superiority.

The premium steels for folders in years past (ats-34,154 cm, D2) were a little better edge holders than 420,440c but not worth the increased cost. Not so with the new premium steels.

As for the replaceable blade knives IMO they have less and less appeal also, why carry these weak folders and their spare blades around.
Posted By: cranky72 Re: folding knives? - 12/19/11
ditto to timberbuck on the folders using the newer alphabet alloys. m4, zdp189, m390 & if one is careful not to twist blades while at bone the discontinued 60v [ but still being used by custom makers]. the super differance is easily verifible by just counting your cuts in the same strength cardboard. if bevels & sharpness are about the same the newer alloys will cut many more times before they fail to slice a page from the yellow pages.i have found buck's heattreat of s30 & the modest price to be a bargain.diamonds are the best way to keep your edges sharp but one advantage is that the least amount of sharpening you have to perform --the longer the knife will last.some of the old alloys such as 1095 & a2 can be tweaked to perform at much higher levels but these custom makers can be much more expensive.cranky72
Posted By: tscott Re: folding knives? - 12/19/11
you guys are gonna kill me for this, but the best deer folder I have used, for gut, skin, and quick field butcher into field pack, is the $7.88 blister pack folder found in the Walmart camping section..(China)! Holds an edge forever. I even use it to make my euro mounts... This is after 50 years of trying everything!
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: folding knives? - 12/19/11
I have used a foulding knife for 45 years. Easier to carry and gets the job done.
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: folding knives? - 12/19/11
I don't quite understand the easier to carry comments? My knife is in my pack with all the other items to dress out game.
Posted By: Waders Re: folding knives? - 12/19/11
I don't quite understand the easier to carry comments? My knife is in my pack with all the other items to dress out game.

Where I live, I see a lot of locals who strap their knife on their belt, throw on their Mackinaw, grab their rifle, and go hunting. They don't carry a day pack and don't carry anything else along (some not even bino's). Long knives are considered a nuisance by many. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with their rationale--just answering your inquiry.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: folding knives? - 12/19/11
Originally Posted by lawnman
Just curious, how many of you like to use a folding knife for gutting and skinning of your smaller big game,deer antelope etc. Always looking to lighten my carry weight and bulk and thought I might give a good folding knife a try. But now.. which one?

For the "inside work" plus anus work, I use a small Gerber LMF which I carry in my pocket. The heavier work, I use either a Gerber LMF magnum folder or a Buck Vanguard fixed blade. I don't like to belt-carry a fixed blade knife. I usually pack the Buck with my Badlands 2200, I usually carry the big folding Gerber if I carry a knife on my belt or if i'm carrying a smaller pack.

I used to carry a Buck folding hunter (110) but that is a pretty heavy knife for the amount of blade it packs.

Tom
Posted By: k3yston3 Re: folding knives? - 12/19/11
I prefer fixed blade knives but I do carry a Schrade Old Timer 7ot, its an older made in the USA knive and not stainless but takes a wickedly sharp edge
Posted By: humdinger Re: folding knives? - 12/19/11
I'm a fixed blade guy and carry a spyderco delica daily and for grouse hunting.

I might switch my ways though. I was out xmas shopping and spotted the standard issue buck 110 for $30 on sale and bought one because I have secretly always wanted one and it was nice to see the blade stamped "USA" too.
Posted By: las Re: folding knives? - 12/19/11
I've been using a Gerber Gator for the last 10 years. Lightweight, Kraton? non-slip handle, holds an edge very well. It's handle was "customized" by the Lab puppy - now pushing 9 years old...

Yes, I carry it in my fanny pack, and mostly use the gutless method now, up to and including moose. I have a folding Buck and an Uncle Henry also, but they are mostly left behind when going any distance as they are several times heavier.

I'm going to look for that orange-handled Buck alpincrick mentioned - black and camo handles suck for finding. Same goes for binoculars.
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: folding knives? - 12/19/11
I understand, but how do they get the meat out? At some point they need a pack, and don't need the knife until they get the pack.
Posted By: Sherwood Re: folding knives? - 12/19/11
I like a large two blade folder for field dressing. But for splitting the brisket & skinning, I switch to fixed blade.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: folding knives? - 12/22/11
I have a John Primble folder that I got 45yrs ago and still use it to skin and gut...
Posted By: Eremicus Re: folding knives? - 12/23/11
I've got the Buck version of the quick change blade folder. I can select which ever blade I need for whatever I'm doing and always have a really sharp blade to help me dress game. Besides that, they are very light and compact.
I've got lots of other knives, but the above and a light weight Gerber saw is really all I need for any dressing chore I'll ever have.
BTW, I had one of the original Buck 110's from when they were first introduced. Traded it to a Buck sales rep who was a colector. E
Posted By: northern_dave Re: folding knives? - 12/23/11
buck alpha hunter wood grips, no gut hook.
Posted By: snubbie Re: folding knives? - 12/23/11
I bought a Havalon Piranta mid season but have yet to find a deer willing to volunteer for a test drive. Prior I used a Gerber Gator folder and larger Gerber fixed blade. Still carry the fixed blade, anxious to try out the Havalon.
Posted By: Tally_Ho Re: folding knives? - 12/23/11
Havalon Piranta. My guide used one in Alaska this past October to skin my brown bear. One blade, one hour, they're wicked sharp. You do have to be careful though as the blades will break if you horse them, though it only takes a fewvseconds to pop another blade in. I broke one gutting a whitetail this fall, I guess you just need to let the blade do the cutting. No lighter setup out there either.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: folding knives? - 12/24/11
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
I have used a foulding knife for 45 years. Easier to carry and gets the job done.

Is that for birds only? laugh
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: folding knives? - 12/24/11
Originally Posted by Sherwood
I like a large two blade folder for field dressing. But for splitting the brisket & skinning, I switch to fixed blade.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice collection.
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: folding knives? - 12/24/11
Anybody try the Cutco hunting knife? It sure gets good reviews.

http://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?itemGroup=5718
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: folding knives? - 12/25/11
I'm a fan of the Buck 110. Old school, but well made, stoutly designed, and still made in the USA. Oh, and affordable.
Posted By: westgoldrun Re: folding knives? - 12/26/11
I used a folding Benchmade knife with a plain-edge Tanto blade to skin and dress (gutless) my deer this year. I didn't plan on it, but it ended up being all that was with me. Worked OK.
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: folding knives? - 12/26/11
I always have one of the various Victorinox knives with me. Think I will pick up a dual pro X before next year, just looks like it has everything I want to have with me for hiking, hunting, field dressing chores.
Originally Posted by Timberbuck
The buck 110 cabelas alaskan guide in S30v stainless is a good one.

I was looking to blow my Cabela's gift certificate on one this pm, but they claim to be sold out. I searched s30v on their site, and found the Gerber Freeman: also sold out.

Liking my Kershaw Blackout as much as I do, I checked their site and found the Blur. Has anybody used one in the field?

FC
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: folding knives? - 12/26/11
I have dressed a lot of deer with the Old Timer folding hunter. But I much prefer the Schrade LB7. The lock is more secure and the blade is of better steel.

With an LB7 and the smaller drop point Gerber folder in my pocket, I can skin and make ready to pack, an entire elk with no need to resharpen.

The two LB7's that I own were purchased in 1984 and are very good knives. I have no idea what the quality is today since Schrade, Old Timer, and Uncle Henry are now nothing more than trademarks to be bought and sold as a commodity.
Posted By: bangeye Re: folding knives? - 12/26/11
I usually carry a folding knife over a fixed blade as they are much more compact and very capable for the job. I use to have a fairly inexpensive coleman western with a synthetic handle but got the great idea of buying a new sheath as the old on was getting torn after many years. Yep 1st time out the belt loop on the new sheath came loose and lost them both. I have since used several others but mostly a gerber lariat series that has a single drop point w/ composite handle. Now discontinued, they can be picked off ebay for around $20 and they work fine on deer. Since we mostly are hunting farmland deer I usually just field dress the deer and have butcher knives and saws back at camp so a big knife isn't really necessary. I have used a standard 2 bladed trapper before.
Posted By: tzone Re: folding knives? - 12/26/11
Anybody try the Cutco hunting knife? It sure gets good reviews.

http://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?itemGroup=5718

I almost hate to admit this but.... As a teen, I used to sell Cutco knives. That hunting knife is pretty bad ass. I haven't seen those around for a long time. Selling them BTW, is a racket and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: folding knives? - 12/26/11
[Linked Image]

Here's my Cutco......after I filed off the serrations and made it into a real knife.

I have, so far, only used it to slice a raw beef roast into finger steaks. But it went through the beef like it was hot butter.
Posted By: raghorn Re: folding knives? - 12/26/11
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide

[Linked Image]

At $100.00 a piece they'd be hard to beat................
Posted By: LongRanger280 Re: folding knives? - 12/26/11
I use 2 SOG Flash II's. They have a serration on the blade, which is handy for tougher sawing work, but the blade has enough belly to be great for skinning. They open with just a twitch, are very light weight, and have great grips in slick conditions. They lock up like a vault, and that's important to me. I have a lot of knives, but these have risen to the top of the heap. I have the clips arranged so that one goes in the right hand pocket and the other in the left. They were razor sharp at purchase, and they stay sharp a long time.
Posted By: mtrancher Re: folding knives? - 12/26/11
Moore Maker Mini-Trapper
Posted By: SamOlson Re: folding knives? - 12/27/11
I only gutted one deer this year.
Been packing a Leatherman Charge(that I found on the side of the county road) so that's what I used. Also sliced up a couple fishes and some birds with it this year.

Lately I've been using the mini-guthook for cutting twine on roundbales. Handy little tool, use it all the time. S30V blades, not a bad find but of course a simple folder would be better for gutting only.

The Cabelas AK Guide 110 sounds good.

Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: folding knives? - 12/27/11
Havalon Piranta is what I've been using for the past couple years.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: folding knives? - 12/27/11
for a folder, it's a buck 110 for me. got my first in 73' or so. got my second in 2009.
© 24hourcampfire