Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I understand, but how do they get the meat out? At some point they need a pack, and don't need the knife until they get the pack.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like a large two blade folder for field dressing. But for splitting the brisket & skinning, I switch to fixed blade.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a John Primble folder that I got 45yrs ago and still use it to skin and gut...

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got the Buck version of the quick change blade folder. I can select which ever blade I need for whatever I'm doing and always have a really sharp blade to help me dress game. Besides that, they are very light and compact.
I've got lots of other knives, but the above and a light weight Gerber saw is really all I need for any dressing chore I'll ever have.
BTW, I had one of the original Buck 110's from when they were first introduced. Traded it to a Buck sales rep who was a colector. E

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
buck alpha hunter wood grips, no gut hook.

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a Havalon Piranta mid season but have yet to find a deer willing to volunteer for a test drive. Prior I used a Gerber Gator folder and larger Gerber fixed blade. Still carry the fixed blade, anxious to try out the Havalon.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Havalon Piranta. My guide used one in Alaska this past October to skin my brown bear. One blade, one hour, they're wicked sharp. You do have to be careful though as the blades will break if you horse them, though it only takes a fewvseconds to pop another blade in. I broke one gutting a whitetail this fall, I guess you just need to let the blade do the cutting. No lighter setup out there either.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
I have used a foulding knife for 45 years. Easier to carry and gets the job done.

Is that for birds only? laugh

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Sherwood
I like a large two blade folder for field dressing. But for splitting the brisket & skinning, I switch to fixed blade.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice collection.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Anybody try the Cutco hunting knife? It sure gets good reviews.

http://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?itemGroup=5718

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm a fan of the Buck 110. Old school, but well made, stoutly designed, and still made in the USA. Oh, and affordable.

μολὼν λαβέ
W
W
I used a folding Benchmade knife with a plain-edge Tanto blade to skin and dress (gutless) my deer this year. I didn't plan on it, but it ended up being all that was with me. Worked OK.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I always have one of the various Victorinox knives with me. Think I will pick up a dual pro X before next year, just looks like it has everything I want to have with me for hiking, hunting, field dressing chores.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Timberbuck
The buck 110 cabelas alaskan guide in S30v stainless is a good one.

I was looking to blow my Cabela's gift certificate on one this pm, but they claim to be sold out. I searched s30v on their site, and found the Gerber Freeman: also sold out.

Liking my Kershaw Blackout as much as I do, I checked their site and found the Blur. Has anybody used one in the field?

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I have dressed a lot of deer with the Old Timer folding hunter. But I much prefer the Schrade LB7. The lock is more secure and the blade is of better steel.

With an LB7 and the smaller drop point Gerber folder in my pocket, I can skin and make ready to pack, an entire elk with no need to resharpen.

The two LB7's that I own were purchased in 1984 and are very good knives. I have no idea what the quality is today since Schrade, Old Timer, and Uncle Henry are now nothing more than trademarks to be bought and sold as a commodity.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I usually carry a folding knife over a fixed blade as they are much more compact and very capable for the job. I use to have a fairly inexpensive coleman western with a synthetic handle but got the great idea of buying a new sheath as the old on was getting torn after many years. Yep 1st time out the belt loop on the new sheath came loose and lost them both. I have since used several others but mostly a gerber lariat series that has a single drop point w/ composite handle. Now discontinued, they can be picked off ebay for around $20 and they work fine on deer. Since we mostly are hunting farmland deer I usually just field dress the deer and have butcher knives and saws back at camp so a big knife isn't really necessary. I have used a standard 2 bladed trapper before.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Anybody try the Cutco hunting knife? It sure gets good reviews.

http://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?itemGroup=5718

I almost hate to admit this but.... As a teen, I used to sell Cutco knives. That hunting knife is pretty bad ass. I haven't seen those around for a long time. Selling them BTW, is a racket and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Camp is where you make it.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
[Linked Image]

Here's my Cutco......after I filed off the serrations and made it into a real knife.

I have, so far, only used it to slice a raw beef roast into finger steaks. But it went through the beef like it was hot butter.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
I wear two of the Victorinox paring knives along with a G5 broadhead sharpener around my neck...

In my pocket I run a Kershaw folder but very seldom do I ever have to reach in the pocket...

I gut, skin, quarter/de-bone a ton of animals each year and I hardly ever use more than the two on my neck unless I leave one behind somewhere... At $3 a piece they are hard to beat...

[Linked Image]

At $100.00 a piece they'd be hard to beat................

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I use 2 SOG Flash II's. They have a serration on the blade, which is handy for tougher sawing work, but the blade has enough belly to be great for skinning. They open with just a twitch, are very light weight, and have great grips in slick conditions. They lock up like a vault, and that's important to me. I have a lot of knives, but these have risen to the top of the heap. I have the clips arranged so that one goes in the right hand pocket and the other in the left. They were razor sharp at purchase, and they stay sharp a long time.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,781
Posts18,515,744
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.