Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cooperfan
I just bought a Havalon Piranta (orange). Haven't used it yet, but it sure is light and sharp.

Yep, swap out dull a blade in 3 seconds. I carry a fixed blade for tough cutting just to save on the Havalon.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cooperfan
FYI---Nitrile gloves are cheap and work great.

cooperfan;
Thank you for that I do appreciate it.

In the spirit of full disclosure you aren't the first that has made the suggestion to me upon seeing those photos. blush

For reasons I'm unable to articulate at present when either gutting animals, skinning or cutting meat I don't prefer to wear gloves.

The truly ironic thing here is the fact that I literally live in these at work nowadays after a mechanic friend recommended them to me.

http://www.watsongloves.com/catalogdetails-work-5555PF--Grease_Monkey.htm

Prior to finding these 8mil jobs, we used a lot of 5 mil nitrile gloves in both the cabinet finishing department where I spend most of my day at work or when wrenching on any broken machines.

Lastly, as a long time Occupational First Aid attendant there, we've been using gloves to reduce our risk of contacting blood borne pathogens for years.

Anyway, with apologies for taking so long with my response but hopefully you are able to see the humor and irony of a fellow who lives in nitrile gloves but doesn't use them when he's hunting? I know - crazy blush

For what it's worth though, the Grease Monkeys are the toughest nitrile gloves I've used, while still maintaining a reasonable amount of tactile feeling for your fingers.

Thanks again for the suggestion sir and all the best in the upcoming Christmas season.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I use two discontinued Spyderco's a lot. The C48 Wegner is an amazing knife with an almost perfect Loveless style blade shape.

For moose I like the Impala as it has a bit more belly for skinning.

Lately I have gone to plastic handled Victorinox fixed blades. Light, cheap and easy to carry with homemade sheaths. 4110 steel is easy to sharpen with a steel and you can skin all day long.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
BC........Your post reminds why I've use the gutless method for the last 20 years. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gerber Gatoe drop point 154CM blade.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
BC........Your post reminds why I've use the gutless method for the last 20 years. smile
I tried my 1st gutless job on an elk more than 15 years ago. I haven't gutted one since. I've gutted a few deer in the meantime, but only when it's easier to just drag the deer out instead of dissecting it on the spot.

I'm not an aficionado of fancy custom knives. I just want one that will stay sharp and get the job done. It's hard to beat a Buck 110 for that.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Folding knives is all I carry anymore..If a guy has a good Buck and an Uncle Henry in his pocket,he can skin his way out of all the tags he has without ever touching up.

Jayco

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Buck 110

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
I wear two of the Victorinox paring knives along with a G5 broadhead sharpener around my neck...

In my pocket I run a Kershaw folder but very seldom do I ever have to reach in the pocket...

I gut, skin, quarter/de-bone a ton of animals each year and I hardly ever use more than the two on my neck unless I leave one behind somewhere... At $3 a piece they are hard to beat...

[Linked Image]

I just picked up a Kershaw like you've got in that pic, the Gentleman's Folder. I've seen it recommended numerous times on here, found it on Amazon for $45 a couple weeks ago. Didn't come with a sheath, but got one from a local knife shop for $3. Haven't used it on anything yet, but will give it a try during our January doe season.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Bucklite. I received a orange handled one as a tip when guiding in the (late 80's?). I wasn't impressed with the knife or goofy orange handle--until I tried it. It instantly became my fav--expecially the first time I dropped it in 18 inches of fresh powder......

Since then, I have received two more as tips. One was issued to Desert Storm troops with a camo handle that a Desert Storm vet gave me--I've never seen one with that style of camo.

So I have a blaze orange one, a camo one, and .... one with a "mauve" colored handle.

So now I use the orange one for rifle killed elk, the camo one for bow killed elk, and the mauve one I figure is AC/DC and swings both ways....so to speak....... eek

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The buck 110 cabelas alaskan guide in S30v stainless is a good one.

Check out the Spyderco Stretch lightweight in the ZDP-189 stainless-it will seroiusly hold an edge around 3 to 4 times longer than those old bucks in 420 stainless.

These new PM steels (powder metalurgy) like s30v,zdp-189,cpm m4 ect. have easily noticable edge holding superiority.

The premium steels for folders in years past (ats-34,154 cm, D2) were a little better edge holders than 420,440c but not worth the increased cost. Not so with the new premium steels.

As for the replaceable blade knives IMO they have less and less appeal also, why carry these weak folders and their spare blades around.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
ditto to timberbuck on the folders using the newer alphabet alloys. m4, zdp189, m390 & if one is careful not to twist blades while at bone the discontinued 60v [ but still being used by custom makers]. the super differance is easily verifible by just counting your cuts in the same strength cardboard. if bevels & sharpness are about the same the newer alloys will cut many more times before they fail to slice a page from the yellow pages.i have found buck's heattreat of s30 & the modest price to be a bargain.diamonds are the best way to keep your edges sharp but one advantage is that the least amount of sharpening you have to perform --the longer the knife will last.some of the old alloys such as 1095 & a2 can be tweaked to perform at much higher levels but these custom makers can be much more expensive.cranky72

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
you guys are gonna kill me for this, but the best deer folder I have used, for gut, skin, and quick field butcher into field pack, is the $7.88 blister pack folder found in the Walmart camping section..(China)! Holds an edge forever. I even use it to make my euro mounts... This is after 50 years of trying everything!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have used a foulding knife for 45 years. Easier to carry and gets the job done.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't quite understand the easier to carry comments? My knife is in my pack with all the other items to dress out game.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I don't quite understand the easier to carry comments? My knife is in my pack with all the other items to dress out game.

Where I live, I see a lot of locals who strap their knife on their belt, throw on their Mackinaw, grab their rifle, and go hunting. They don't carry a day pack and don't carry anything else along (some not even bino's). Long knives are considered a nuisance by many. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with their rationale--just answering your inquiry.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by lawnman
Just curious, how many of you like to use a folding knife for gutting and skinning of your smaller big game,deer antelope etc. Always looking to lighten my carry weight and bulk and thought I might give a good folding knife a try. But now.. which one?

For the "inside work" plus anus work, I use a small Gerber LMF which I carry in my pocket. The heavier work, I use either a Gerber LMF magnum folder or a Buck Vanguard fixed blade. I don't like to belt-carry a fixed blade knife. I usually pack the Buck with my Badlands 2200, I usually carry the big folding Gerber if I carry a knife on my belt or if i'm carrying a smaller pack.

I used to carry a Buck folding hunter (110) but that is a pretty heavy knife for the amount of blade it packs.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a MοΏ½bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I prefer fixed blade knives but I do carry a Schrade Old Timer 7ot, its an older made in the USA knive and not stainless but takes a wickedly sharp edge

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm a fixed blade guy and carry a spyderco delica daily and for grouse hunting.

I might switch my ways though. I was out xmas shopping and spotted the standard issue buck 110 for $30 on sale and bought one because I have secretly always wanted one and it was nice to see the blade stamped "USA" too.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've been using a Gerber Gator for the last 10 years. Lightweight, Kraton? non-slip handle, holds an edge very well. It's handle was "customized" by the Lab puppy - now pushing 9 years old...

Yes, I carry it in my fanny pack, and mostly use the gutless method now, up to and including moose. I have a folding Buck and an Uncle Henry also, but they are mostly left behind when going any distance as they are several times heavier.

I'm going to look for that orange-handled Buck alpincrick mentioned - black and camo handles suck for finding. Same goes for binoculars.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,797
Posts18,516,151
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.