Home
April 28th and 29th near Glasgow, Montana.

We will be setting up a "hunter's Course", along with a stationary steel target setup. For all types of ranges, shooting posistions and field conditons. Some walking and climbing will be required. Some stations the targets will be ranged and fired at without the aid of a laser rangefinder.

Setup will be on Friday, the 27th. Anyone wanting to show up early and help out will be welcome!!

PM me if you're interested in coming out, so I can get an idea of how many guys will be here.
Sounds great Pat! If I can get away from the Bozone for a couple days I'll be there.

Dober
I hope you can make it up Mark. Bring a cot and sleeping bag....I'll make room. I put up about eight guys last spring here at the house.
To heck with the cots, I'll bring my air bed and a fart bag.

Thx
Dober
Count me in Pat.. smile

hopefully Cinch will come up with me again !
Sounds fun..Wish I could join..I work back east from April-September.
Call in sick.....grin!
I wish..Its a good trade off tho, since i get the whole fall/winter off!
Sounds like a good time Pat..I'll pm you and get some details.
Thanks!
I would like to attend.
If anyone knows a good gunsmith that could AI this for me and get it back to me, I'd appreciate it.
I'll be driving over from Helena, if anyone wants to split gas.

[Linked Image]

Fred
That's a 25 Stevens, BTW-
If I booked a round trip flight now from Dothan, AL to Great Falls, MT it'd be only $450. Hummmm
U might wanna check into a Billings flight as well?

Dober
Pat, again I would like to come. If I can get away from the ranch this time....
a lot was learned and fun was had by all last year !

Should be another learning experience and great shoot this Spring too !

Maybe the wind won't blow... laffin' crazy
Hopefully I will make it again. Without a blown ear drum this time would be outstanding!

I'm in! Last year was a blast!

Hopefully it will have warmed up some by then from last month!

I've never seen(and felt) negative numbers on a thermometer before...

: )

Looking forward to it Pat!
Pat, I'd like to be there. I believe I could also help with setup if everything works out.
Originally Posted by Cinch
Hopefully I will make it again. Without a blown ear drum this time would be outstanding!

no doubt !!
Originally Posted by oldslowdog

I'm in! Last year was a blast!

Hopefully it will have warmed up some by then from last month!

I've never seen(and felt) negative numbers on a thermometer before...

: )

Looking forward to it Pat!

You can come back as long as you promise to be my spotter....your ability to call bullet strikes at the shoot last spring was unparalleled!

Don't forget to throw in that new rifle!!
If my new GAP non-typical is here by then, I just might make the trip! That would be super fun!
I would love to make it. We'll see how my work schedule comes along.

I may be working some in Glagow this winter and maybe obtain some home field advantage!

Matt
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

You can come back as long as you promise to be my spotter....

It's a deal!

And hopefully by that time, I'll have saved up enough for a scope for my little friend:

[Linked Image]

Looking forward to it.....
OSD---what have you got going there?

Looking very good so far!

Dober
Short action somethin' Dober, looks mean!

Screw the rifle, nice stone work....grin

Pat, the Hunter's course sounds interesting!
My pals store has nothing like that. What is it?
About 2 months wages for me.....grin

Guessing a GAP rifle.

It's a deal!

And hopefully by that time, I'll have saved up enough for a scope for my little friend:

[Linked Image]

We need more info and pics!!
MAN, would I love to come to this shoot this year! Being across the line makes things a little complicated, though...

It's a deal!

[Linked Image]

Looks like a GAP, NonTypical...

guessing 308 or 260

Defiance action, McMillan Edge stock (from checkering pattern), probably 23 or 24" barrel, BDL BM, Seekins 15 MOA rail, GAP camo...

And would lay odds on it being a .308 after the shoot last year...
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
MAN, would I love to come to this shoot this year! Being across the line makes things a little complicated, though...

Just show up and shoot our rifles. There will be plenty!
Well, I'm gonna try to make time and drive up from down south. If there's anyone down along the front range who wants to split gas money, shoot me a PM.

Scott,

Amazing clairvoyance!

All true and correct.

GAP 308 Nontypical w/ EDGE stock and Jewell trigger

[Linked Image]

Is it April yet?

smile
Originally Posted by SamOlson
About 2 months wages for me.....grin

Guessing a GAP rifle.

Good guess....

And almost a years worth of overtime for me.
oldslowdog, is that paint job one of their standard patterns?

Looks good.
that is there "GAP camo"

that there is one sexy rifle !! can't wait to see it in person ! smile Really like it...
Sounds like a blast. Is Boxer going to be there? He can teach us all how to shoot..... whistle

Scott,

Amazing clairvoyance!

All true and correct.

GAP 308 Nontypical w/ EDGE stock and Jewell trigger

[Linked Image]

Is it April yet?

smile

That is a great looking rig, what's the barrel mic at the mzl? And, do you know what it weighs as it sits?

And one last Q, has anyone done a McMillan HTG with Edge fill or do they not make it?

Dober
Dober,

I think... they only make it in the Hunter stock. I don't believe it is available in the HTG.

If I recall from talking to them, only available in the one hunting stock and a couple of the BR stocks.

see here:

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-ultralight-stock-list.php#uhuntersedge

Although, I am fairly certain that Manners will do the 90% Carbon in most of their stocks.
I hope to make it this year. Might only be one day, but will have to check the schedule while we are over there.
Hope to see you there Travis!
[Linked Image]

Very neat rifle you got there, what barrel contour?
Originally Posted by Ghostwalker
[Linked Image]

I like that rifle as well. It's got "whipp some azz" written all over it. Nice....Hope it shoots as good as it looks....
I really hoped to make it over last year, and just wasn't able. I look forward to this year, and while I can't make any solid commitments this far out, I'll try like hell. I can't speak for him, and he can't either as he's in TX now, but deflave will likely come over with me.
The "Ice Breaker Shoot" might be on my bucket list. I will have to look at my schedule as spring nears.

ddj

I think GAP claims it's a number three contour.

The barrel diameter at the muzzle is .695" if that helps more.

Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

That is a great looking rig, what's the barrel mic at the mzl? And, do you know what it weighs as it sits?

And one last Q, has anyone done a McMillan HTG with Edge fill or do they not make it?

Dober

Mark,

I haven't weighed it yet. I was going to wait till I got a scope. But might have to put a spare Leupold on for some load development while saving up for the Alpha glass. I'll post a weight then. I'd guess around six and three quarters naked.

I asked about an HTG when I was reseaching this build. Scott is right, Mcmillan doesn't do an HTG with EDGE fill. GAP will do this build with an HTG but it will be heavier. The lighter EDGE stock really helps the gun handle well (in my opinion).

Some more pictures for those interested:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man thats a sweet ride! Ive been saving to order that exact gun except with the m5 bottom metal.
Copycat......grin!
Copycat......grin!

I learn from the best......

smile

Merry Christmas!
Copycat......grin!

lol... grin
Hope to see that rig in May 4 bruins there OSD

Dober
I'm going to have to make it this year!

Travis
Hope to see that rig in May 4 bruins there OSD

Dober

Mark,

I thought you were headed down this way for a ball game.

In a minivan.

With 3 kids.

And a dog.

Change your mind?

smile

I'm going to make it this year. Looks like a real good time.

Thanks for hosting this again Pat.

Shane

Dober

I assume Billings would be the best airport to fly in/out?
Great Falls is 273 miles from here, Billings is 279. 4 1/2 hour drive anyway you cut it. Might check into going to Williston, North Dakota....130 miles east of Glasgow.
i hope to show up this year......
I'd like to come out there. Maybe I can talk some buds into sharing gas. Hey Pat, about the hunters course. Will it be set up so the shooter uses his normal gear? Like the normal back pack and other essentials a guy carries? mtmuley
Exactly. I may even have a timed event to see who can get his scope out of the pack and set up and on target the quickest. Seems like that is something we all need to get better at. How many times out hunting have you spotted a distant critter and by the time you got your scope out, set up and in position, the animal has just topped the ridge and out of view or moved into the timber?...I know I have more times than I would like to admit.
Stop, drop and roll....grin

[Linked Image]
I'm going to try to make it again. Last spring got screwed up due to a family medical crises.

I have a place to shoot LR out to 1500+ yards locally, but it's always a lot more fun to do it with other shooters!

Sam: If I make it up there, we can tell stories about Uncle Boone and Uncle Butch. Or maybe even get together with both of 'em.....
I'd love to try to get up that way and join you guys. Sounds like a blast. If I can get away I may have to wander up that way.
Great Falls is 273 miles from here, Billings is 279. 4 1/2 hour drive anyway you cut it. Might check into going to Williston, North Dakota....130 miles east of Glasgow.

I'd like to try to make it. I'm 5 1/2 hours from Billings if there's not much snow. I wonder if it would be faster for me to hit Miles City instead?

Bob
Miles City, then Terry, then Cirle, then Wolf Point, west another 50 miles to Glasgow.

Shouldn't be much if any snow. Good paved roads through that route...
Thanks Pat. Is there room for me to pitch a tent someplace?

Bob
The shoot will take place on private land, but there is a lot of BLM land within a few miles of where we'll shoot. Plenty of places to put in a camp.
Stop, drop and roll....grin

[Linked Image]

Dang farmers.......grin!
Miles City, then Terry, then Cirle, then Wolf Point, west another 50 miles to Glasgow.

thats the route i take when heading to South Dakota.....good roads, easy run to make....
Originally Posted by rattler

thats the route i take when heading to South Dakota.....good roads, easy run to make....

Got a guess on the drive time from Rapid?

Bob
5 hours from here, another 45 minutes to Pat's house.....im in Wolf Point, on the list of towns....
about 5.5 to 6 hours from here. We went up one way... west and came back straight down last year !

Well worth the trip !! smile
5 hours from here, another 45 minutes to Pat's house.....im in Wolf Point, on the list of towns....

Thanks. Not as bad as I thought.

Bob

Originally Posted by Kimber7man

Dober

I assume Billings would be the best airport to fly in/out?

You can also fly right into Glasgow from Billings on a daily flight($100 one way?).

Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Sam: If I make it up there, we can tell stories about Uncle Boone and Uncle Butch. Or maybe even get together with both of 'em.....

JB, had dinner with Butch last night as a matter of fact, you'll have to spill the beans on the old days....grin
Be worth the drive just to meet a bunch of you guys. Let alone a chance to stretch the legs on a couple rifles.
Pat,

Are there certain ranges we can expect for the hunter's course? Sorry if this has been covered, I haven't read the whole thread. I don't normally shoot long range but if things are going to be way out there I may work up a load for some heavies in my deer rifle.

Travis

Hmmm... Round trip IND to Billings is only $405...
Originally Posted by deflave
Pat,

Are there certain ranges we can expect for the hunter's course? Sorry if this has been covered, I haven't read the whole thread. I don't normally shoot long range but if things are going to be way out there I may work up a load for some heavies in my deer rifle.

Travis

The hunters course will be set up for all types of hunting rifles. The ranges will vary from in close shooting to long range, from all types of shooting posititons as well. Guys aren't going to have to show up with long range rifles to get a lot of shooting in. There will be plenty of shooting for everyone.
Thanks Pat.

Travis
This is sounding pretty dang fun..
Anyone heading over from or passing through the CdA area (I90) and want to split gas?
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Sam said you were buying all the beer. Thanks bro.

Travis
I plan on shooting quite well in the sub-450 yard pickup truck course!

Maybe it won't be blowing and trying to rain like it was last year. I didn't make the shoot but we were out feeding that morning and had to try and rope a cow(on foot, wind blew the loop everwhere...) and I remember thinking, I bet those guys are having fun trying to shoot!

Crazy thing is judging by the pics they did have fun, imagine that...grin

Sounds like a blast. I wish it wasn't 1640 miles to Glasgow!
It wasn't too bad last year.......grin

[Linked Image]
I plan on shooting quite well in the sub-450 yard pickup truck course!

Maybe it won't be blowing and trying to rain like it was last year. I didn't make the shoot but we were out feeding that morning and had to try and rope a cow(on foot, wind blew the loop everwhere...) and I remember thinking, I bet those guys are having fun trying to shoot!

Crazy thing is judging by the pics they did have fun, imagine that...grin

Pick up course??!! I'm in!

Travis

Travis

What kind of beer do they sell up there in Canada? grin
For you I will try and find the good stuff.

Bud heavy in a bottle, Travis is stuck with Natty Ice cans.....grin
damn...
And you know you have first dibs on the hide-a-bed!
Right on, bro!

But, um, how many dogs do you have now? Is it going to be a fight for the pillows?
Don't worry, the 2 little hounds will continue to make sleeping impossible for me. They have to lay right on a guy and don't dare move or you get the death growl.

If you make it up here bring your AR!
I was out shooting it again today at logan, it's a blast!

We'll take it and one of those dogs out for coyotes, we should stack 'em up!
I'm still thinking of how to trade you out of that thing!

Travis

IGA has good MT brews! I'll bring some good stuff.

Travis
For you I will try and find the good stuff.

Bud heavy in a bottle, Travis is stuck with Natty Ice cans.....grin

I can feel the love all the way from here.

Travis
And you know you have first dibs on the hide-a-bed!

I'll bunk with Rancho. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Travis
You know it will be calving time. 71 head of heifers that need to get checked on at night.

Barn sound okay?
eek eek eek eek eek eek eek

Travis

IGA has good MT brews! I'll bring some good stuff.

Travis

I'll help out with a bunch of warm High Life! Maybe a bottle of kickin chicken to warm the bones.
You guys would do well in a Reservation style course.
We may indeed. smile Is that a subset to the pickup course or it's own animal?
Ooooo... Shooting .270's fed with wally world ammo, hungover off natty ice..
Combination depending on the time of day....laughin'!
Pawn shop .270's.. Of course, there aren't any other kind of .270..
Nice thing about the 270 is even pawn shop versions are way better than anything else.
Would be interesting to have a "Most bang for your buck" award. Total up everyone's hits, then subtract points for every C-note spent on the rig.
You know it will be calving time. 71 head of heifers that need to get checked on at night.

Barn sound okay?

Sound okay for me? Yes.

The cows? Probably not.

Travis
You guys would do well in a Reservation style course.

I'm buying an LTD if there is a rez course.

Travis
I have been to Valley County.

The Rez has nothing on that Country, think Grand Marquis....grin
If there is truck course I am gonna be there. Ive have the optional drivers side mirror with factoty sand bag. Im deadly out to 500 yards.
Dang I didnt mean to kill the thread.
It's alive and well.....I was out there today doing a little shooting with the .260's and 6XC. I hope the weather in April is as nice as it is here right now...really mild winter here so far.
got more rebar cut and more steel ready to go.

might have an Antelope steel and a sheep to bring... smile

might have to order some more swing set brackets too...
Originally Posted by Sendero_man
got more rebar cut and more steel ready to go.

might have an Antelope steel and a sheep to bring... smile

might have to order some more swing set brackets too...
Is the sheep steel or real?? If real, I might have to make that trip! wink
I get the head...

Travis
I get the head...

Travis
Interesting. I figured you more for a boob man... wink
You gonna make the drive? Maybe we can get mtmiller out there as well.

Travis
and a sheep to bring... smile

Sorry...couldn't help but chuckle on that one lol!

Travis
I won't be able to make it. It's a LONG way from Indy and the wife's got one more sememster of school.

Originally Posted by tipmover

crap, that reminds me.. I still have your Velcro gloves and knee pads ! laffin'

you gonna make it up this year ??
Originally Posted by pointer

Travis
I won't be able to make it. It's a LONG way from Indy and the wife's got one more sememster of school.

Come on pointer; you can make the trip out here, I can make a run east and you can be a daddy again. grin
Originally Posted by mtmiller
Originally Posted by pointer

Travis

Come on pointer; you can make the trip out here, I can make a run east and you can be a daddy again. grin
Wow, that's quite the offer!!! If I can keep GuNR with me for the trip we might be able to work out a deal. wink

PS- I've always wondered about my kids being on the short end of the height bell curve for their age...
Originally Posted by tipmover

crap, that reminds me.. I still have your Velcro gloves and knee pads ! laffin'

you gonna make it up this year ??
I'll be there..hoping to get up there on Friday to help with any of the set up work.
Well hey ... Looks like I may head east for this.

I can bring the 12X12 Alaknak and it sleeps 3 comfortable even 4 if we squeeze. 3 only if we want the woodstove for heat.

Guess I'll bring the GAP Rock .308 and the Rodger's 6.5-06.

More than likely be there Friday to help set up...
should be a good turn out this year. cool

got some more steel gathered up and more rebar cut.

start loading more rounds on these cold windy days....or at least the windy days.
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
The "Ice Breaker Shoot" might be on my bucket list. I will have to look at my schedule as spring nears.

ddj

Maybe we could truck pool it? Would love to go. Sounds like a great time,
Yeah... probably a good idea.

I'd be willing to slow down long enough for a guy or 2 to jump in as I head N.E.

Gotta warn ya though... I have a cummins running straight pipes not too bad but she rumbles a bit.
Dang I wish I could come up for this!
Got another 100 rounds of 308 ready to go.

now just need to decide how many for the 338LM. grin

Pat, I found a 7600 for sale.. heard they shoot good... GRIN !

I found a 7600 for sale.. heard they shoot good... GRIN !

Only with the adjustable "see thru" scope mounts!

smile
you're making me feel lazy...

gotta get to reloading.

Just talked to the smith yesterday.. says the hunting weight 6.5-06 will be done late feb early march...

Might be bringin' 2, 6.5-06's
ya slinging 140's in them ?
That was the plan...but...

IMR7828ssc and the 139 scenars say otherwise. So far.

If the next round of load testing produces the results it did the other day then the 139's get the nod.
oldtrapper and I are planning on making it from Williston. I will have to check the schedule, but the dates look good for a weekend. What were the targets last year? Trying to get an idea of how the process will work. I have shot Marbuts long range course at Potomac, thinking it will be similar but different.
I will have my 6.5-06AI. Have a promising load with 120bt and Hunter. First load I threw together went three in 7/16", so hoping it stays that good. Need to crony it and work up. With the 1 in 10" twist, it loves 100s, but I would like to find a load that shoots as good with 120s. Really looking forward to shooting there and meeting SOME of you. smile
targets last year were a variety of steel from about 200 to 1790 yards.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5188777/46

start about page 45 or 46 and look till the end....
Sweet Jesus...

Guess the .17 rem is out...

Travis
I'd be surprised to see that Jesus had a 17. I figure him for a "big gun" guy. smile I'll bet his would shoot tho!
How much ammo?

I'm figuring on bringing a couple rifles, with 200 rounds each.

Am I in the right ballpark?
I was wondering that too.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
How much ammo?

I'm figuring on bringing a couple rifles, with 200 rounds each.

Am I in the right ballpark?

gonna shoot one day or two ? wink
Two days, or out of ammo.

Whichever comes first.....grin
Sounds like Antelope hunting smile
Top for a friend to see...

Hope ya come on up Jeff !
Is Jeff a beautiful woman?

Travis
No, but he might bring one wink I hope to be able to come up.
Sweeet! See you there!

Travis
This could turn into a celebrity shoot. If the price is right I would attend...
if you wanna see the GTO again, be there....
Originally Posted by shrapnel
This could turn into a celebrity shoot. If the price is right I would attend...

You said Rancho could pick me up in the GTO? I got my aviators shined up and everything!

Travis
Originally Posted by huntsman22
if you wanna see the GTO again, be there....

That's right!

Travis
I might be showing up without gratuity, be warned, it won't be pretty!
Just please don't show up angry and toting a BAR.

Travis
Just please don't show up angry and toting a BAR.

Travis

but do bring the BAR.....
I'm almost certain I can bring anything to the shoot that may not be a one shot winner, but single shot hits are always touted by the loser in any battle...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I'm almost certain I can bring anything to the shoot that may not be a one shot winner, but single shot hits are always touted by the loser in any battle...

[Linked Image]

If there is something cooler than a man wearing aviators' while shooting a BMG, I'm unaware of it.

Travis
Those are the same eyes you use to make all your observations with??? Anyone that knows anything about a real Browning 50, knows you need to wear Military enhanced sighting goggles when you shoot one of these full auto...
Just found out I'll be in Billings for most of April, hopefully I can head up right after work finishes.
Originally Posted by coldboremiracle
Just found out I'll be in Billings for most of April, hopefully I can head up right after work finishes.

Good idea... hope we both make it!
Originally Posted by Cinch
Originally Posted by coldboremiracle

Good idea... hope we both make it!

Ya both better or I am gonna have to crack open a can of whoopass !!

[Linked Image]
It looks like weather-wise, it may be more conducive to good shooting days, at least from a snow perspective. The wind is a whole 'nother story tho. How are the plans coming along? Any changes or additions? New targets or ideas?
I will be there, and I think I can talk oldtrapper into coming. I think I found a good 120g load for my 6.5AI, and the 7-08 looks promising. They both seem to favor Hunter for powder, so that narrows down the selection process.
Really looking forward to that weekend.
I'm really getting stoked the closer we get to the date. Do we have a running tally on how many guys are showing up? I know I can speak for 2, myself and deflave.
It looks like at least 25 right now. Several guys are getting in a day or two early to help set it up. We'll have a bunch of steel to posistion and hang. I hope the weather will be like it has been here the past three or four weeks....near perfect for shooting and being out all day.

Any extra steel you guys have laying around, we can put to use as well as white spray paint....
Pat, I have 5 plates of 3/8" AR500, just don't shoot them with that 338 Lapua cannon of your's....grin

Turnout date is May 1st for the cows so we'll be pairing off loads but I hope to sneak up for an afternoon.

Turnout date is May 1st for the cows so we'll be pairing off loads but I hope to sneak up for an afternoon.

Need some help with those cows?

That should be good for a laugh! grin
Weather pending we'll be branding a few days before loading trucks. You are signed up!

And of course the hide-a-bed is yours all weekend... Free of charge....grin
Hope the Arctic is put back together by then. The TMR rocks in the loopy 2.5-8x36!
Get 'em setup!

Neighbor kids just did a hit and run on the doorbell and got the hounds frothed up. I couldn't resist and hollered something foul so they'll no doubt be right back...grin

Leave some natty ices out for them and they'll leave you alone for the night.
That'd be worse than feeding a stray cat!
ill be coming up for sure, barring any big print jobs coming in that i need to get out the end of that week i can prolly come up if yah need another hand hanging steel.....
Sam will be branding at the same time?

Travis
Branding and shipping is dependent on the weather. Rain equals a no go for either but then I might get the afternoon off. If the shoot is close to Willow Creek maybe I'll catch a ride in the Pete and ride back to town with Rancho.

Rattler better not sleep in this year!
I could be down for branding, shooting, and then drinking.

I'm no cowpoke, but I'm pretty handy when it comes to tackling calves and holding them down.

Wait...what?

Travis
I've tossed calves plenty, wouldn't mind lending a hand. Dependant on how things work out, me and Travis might could drive over. I'll call the little ones now........
I've not your experience but I've done it enough to know that I'm awesome at it.

Travis
Which is why you get to tackle the big basturds....

Rattler better not sleep in this year!

lol ive got a couple ppl that want to see the guys ring steel at a mile ive got a ride regardless....BTW if your branding on the weekend, might be able to round up some help....docs got me on good meds now so i could prolly chip in aswell....
This has "schit show" written all over it...

Sam,

Do you use the bands or do they get cut?

Travis
would guess they band, not many cut around here, infact my brother makes time for one of his buddies brandings cause they cut and cook unlike most he helps out....
Some fine vittles wasted with those bands. My buddies family ranches in S. Dakota and always looked forward to him coming back with some calf nuts!
We band and ear tag as they calve out in the pasture. Try to keep up everyday while they are still young and easier to rope(on foot).
The bands really cut down on stress at branding plus you don't have to worry about flies and infection. Zero recovery versus being cut so you can haul them right out.

Lately we've been using a table and do 2 or 3 smaller brandings a year.

Just have to play it by ear, branding or not it would be fun to meet up with you guys!
Bands? AND a table? Does this mean electric irons, too? Civilization hits the Hi-Line?
Oh no, there's still a torch goin'!
I'm not going to get dirty, am I?
Not too dirty but you might get the chit kicked outta your shins!
I'd love to show up and it'd be only a 12 hour drive and cost me $240 in gas round trip. Under $750 miles.
Anyone else from MN wanna split gas and driving duties?
No stinkin' hotels along the way, straight through just like when I got leave from Norfolk and drove home! Of course I was 20 then.
Jetta wagon so we'd crash next to the rifles when we weren't driving.
I'd probably have the only Savage and I'd suck badly at the shooting but it'd be fun for sure.
ive done the drive to Minneapolis 3 or 4 times, always in one shot.....not that bad with 2 drivers to do it straight through.....
4 weeks to go...

gonna be good times ~!! cool
I wish it wasn't so far to Montana.

But,I'd have to sell a kidney to be able to afford the gas for the drive the way gas prices are. frown
I didn't realize the 28th and 29th were Sat and Sunday... Anybody rolling through anywhere Denver or Vail on up there?! I can drive half the way or more!
I sure was hoping to hear from GAP by now telling me my new rifle was ready....... Sure wanted to make the trip.
George is gonna be there. Have him bring it up !! Grin
Maybe you and Pat could give him a nudge for me!!!! smile
Originally Posted by Huntr
I sure was hoping to hear from GAP by now telling me my new rifle was ready....... Sure wanted to make the trip.

Huntr,

You had asked about the weight of a GAP NT earlier. Here it is:

[Linked Image]

Keep in mind the scope and rings run around 24 oz.

Rifle or not, think about it.

It's a fun trip.....
OSD,
Very nice! Did you weigh it without the scope?
That scope weighs exactly 21 ounces.

Did you weigh it without the scope?

No...to me it doesn't matter that much. The accuracy and barrel life are why I got it. Between the rifle and scope it's as rugged and durable a combination as I'm likely to ever need.

I think you'd have no problem jumping out of an airplane with it!

I agree! Can't wait to get mine. BTW, is that the alloy Badger bottom metal?

BTW, is that the alloy Badger bottom metal?

Nope...its the "stock" Pacific Tool & Gauge.

I had to keep the upgrades to a minimum on this one.

At some point, I had to decide between what I "really needed" versus what I "wanted" as I couldn't afford it with "everything" on it.

Eighteen months of overtime after taxes and bills only goes so far....

smile
I totally understand! I did opt for the alloy Badger, not sure if I need it or not, but... wink
OSD...please put up a full pic of that rifle...what caliber is it?
Ghostwalker,
If you will look on page 3 of this thread, you will see pics of the OSD's complete rifle.
Can't wait to see it in person !! cool

Looks like a shooter.

OSD...please put up a full pic of that rifle...what caliber is it?

By all means....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GAP Nontypical in .308 Win.
That's what I'm talking about!

How do you like that Templar action?
Yeah..that is nice..!
Thanks...that's a great looking rifle...simple and very functional with a very acceptable weight....I should get one of those smile

Those actions George uses are some of the smoothest I've ever cycled.

How do you like that Templar action?

The Templar action upgrade is really worth it in my opinion.

It's awesome and incredibly strong.

It's very smooth but when it locks, it feels like a bank vault closing.

I've only got less than 100 rounds through mine on account of my range having been underwater recently but both the scope and the rifle have really spoiled me.

Pat, you should warn people coming out to the shoot, that it can lead some to develop very expensive tastes.....

smile

Looking forward to April!

I heard a rumor (unconfirmed as of yet) that Obi-wan (1) himself may put in an appearance.

In case you really need another reason to take a road trip in April....

I heard a rumor (unconfirmed as of yet) that Obi-wan (1) himself may put in an appearance.

In case you really need another reason to take a road trip in April....

Really looking forward to coming if I can make the work schedule cooperate. Be good to see the guys in person and learn how this long range stuff is done.

Sounds like there will be some neat rifles there as well.
there was some nice stuff there last year..

I know Cinch and I are bringing some new ones up this year.

last year pics...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

getting close cool

everyone got their ammo loaded ?
I'm heading out right now with the boys for a little practice session.....I'll post up some pics when we get back later this afternoon. 25*F at dawn this morning and not much wind.
good deal ! look forward to the pics cool
[Linked Image]

The wind came up not long after we got set up. It was about 45*F, winds out of the NW gusting to 30mph. The boys made the most of it and never missed a shot on the AR500 12"X12" plate at 460 meters. They both like the GAP Crusader .260 a lot! Fun for dad to sit back and just watch them do their thing...That's Logan(9 years old) pulling the trigger and older brother, Shane,(11 years old)on the spotter.

[Linked Image]

Role's reversed....they are in competiton with each other always, but always root for each other..

[Linked Image]

After casing up the rifle, they broke out the .22 revolvers and went through over 1000 rounds of ammo.

Logan will turn ten next week and it's been a tradition for us to go out into the hills, well armed for his birthday party.

Can't really get any better than that, can it?.....grin!
You should really get them onto some better equipment.. Sheesh!
That looks like fun & sure is better than any video game!
Nothing wrong shooting a GAP for giggles.

Sure wish the shoot was just a bit nearer my home, It'd be a lot of fun to make it - maybe next year for the 3rd Annual:)

Cool pictures. Looks like ya'll had fun.

Tell Logan Happy Birthday for me.

See you in three weeks.....
getting close cool

Kinda sorta....been trying to fine tune a load for the new gun. Might have to go with what I have now.

If it ever stops raining out here, I might be able to get out to the range for a last session. It's literally under water right now.

Rest assured though, I'll show up with something.....

smile
That looks like a good time!
...Can't really get any better than that, can it?.....grin!

No Pat, it doesn't. Did the same with my boys and it was always a good time. Now their in college and have other interests but they still like to have me load up some shells to do a little shooting sometimes.

Got a old 700 in 243 that just might become a 260...like I need another rifle.
looks like a great day with the boys... smile
getting close cool

I've got 100 rounds of 7RUM and I'll have about 225 or so 22-250ais for the trip. Hope that'll last me for a little while at least. smile
All I have is about 300 rounds of 22-250 (with an embarrasingly slow twist) and about 200 rounds of 7-08.

And a box of condoms. Huh?

Travis
You guys are killing me, I wont be in Montana till the first week of May. frown

Meanwhile its 82 degrees and the scenery is incredible on the beach. smile
I've got 200 rounds of 30-06, and 150 rounds of 308Win ready to go. All are loaded up with 208 AMax.
nice... like to see how those 208's shoot !
You bet. I think I'll load up a few Hornady 225gr BTHP for the 308 too. I'd like to see if they have ANY consistency out at the mile+ target from a 1/12 twist bbl, at 2500 fps. I have shot them to 1200 yards and surpisingly they did pretty good.
I'm anxious to see the .30's shoot as well. Should be a good time all around.

Travis
few last things to do and get fueled up for the 6 hour drive next week..

hope the weather holds fair.
Boiler shutdown, and my hunger for OT will keep me home that weekend.

Don't worry Travis, I'll spend some of that money on booze and rubbers laugh
You'll never have any exciting stories using rubbers.

Travis
Or parasites laugh Like children
Time for the pre-deployment "junk on the bunk" inspection......grin.
Haha! True 'dat. I hope my tent is here soon. Otherwise I'll have to bunk with MontanaMarine.

Travis
I'll be thinking about you two cuddling while I'm covered in tree blood and bark slivers.

Travis, we need to drink beer and kill [bleep] one of these weekends.
The new Lawrence Rifle Barrel 260 on a 700 action has yet to be blooded.
Heading out there right now to shoot.......I hope it's like this next weekend. Near perfect conditions this morning. A little frost and hardly a breath of wind.
Gear pics and better memories for those boys. Glad to see you taking time to raise them right. I wish I could make the shoot but it is not looking good for me. Too many other commitments. Keep those boys in ammo and you'll never have problems with them;-).
I hope the weather stays like this!

Unfortunately I got some offers of well-paying work that couldn't be passed up, Hoped to make it this year but have to do my shooting here, all by myself. Hope everybody has a good time....
I wouldn't bet on the weather. Looks to be a system getting here by then. Supposed to be only 48' in Helena on Fri. Doesn't bode well for us over here on the weekend. Hopefully, the weatherman is wrong, but how often does that happen. smile
Heading out there right now to shoot.......I hope it's like this next weekend. Near perfect conditions this morning. A little frost and hardly a breath of wind.

That ain't no lie.

Travis

Unfortunately I got some offers of well-paying work that couldn't be passed up, Hoped to make it this year but have to do my shooting here, all by myself. Hope everybody has a good time....

Loser.... grin .

Travis
Originally Posted by JeffP40
I wouldn't bet on the weather. Looks to be a system getting here by then. Supposed to be only 48' in Helena on Fri. Doesn't bode well for us over here on the weekend. Hopefully, the weatherman is wrong, but how often does that happen. smile

Waaaaaa-wa-waaaaaaa.... grin

Travis
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I'll be thinking about you two cuddling while I'm covered in tree blood and bark slivers.

Travis, we need to drink beer and kill [bleep] one of these weekends.

I do that every weekend...

Travis

$$ is highly over rated... time here is to short to miss out on all the fun things in life !

was windy here for a good bit of the afternoon, hope it was better for you Pat.....i got sandblasted down at the river while fishing.....need to reassess my setup.....was rigged for walleye and lost a couple nice snot rockets cause their teeth went through the line....

do you need another volunteer to set steel the end of the week? if nothing much more comes in to work i can take off Friday....
Sendero man,

Fortunately, the work involves shooting and handloading!
I was hoping to make it to IB2 this year but I can't. As some of you know my Father passed away in January and the 28th is the day they ended up picking to do a Celebration of Life service for him.

So, you boys drop the hammer on some steel for me!

I hope to heck to make IB3 next year.

Dober
I may have missed it, but where do we go when we get to Glasgow exactly? For both the camp set up and shooting?

Travis
what day you coming ?
Friday evening.

I would be there earlier but I gots to work.

Travis
I'll be driving up on Friday. Should be in the AO around 3PM or so.

Looking at the map, It looks like the most direct route coming east on the hi-line would be to go south at Saco, on Larb Creek Road, to Ridge Road. Does anyone know if that route is in decent shape?

I'm planning to camp vic the intersection of Willow Creek Road, and Sutherland Creek, on the State/BLM. Pat says there is a small campground there.
Thanks Shane.

Travis
I'll be driving up on Friday. Should be in the AO around 3PM or so.

Looking at the map, It looks like the most direct route coming east on the hi-line would be to go south at Saco, on Larb Creek Road, to Ridge Road. Does anyone know if that route is in decent shape?

I'm planning to camp vic the intersection of Willow Creek Road, and Sutherland Creek, on the State/BLM. Pat says there is a small campground there.

That road is in good shape as of a few days ago...
[Linked Image]

I hope the weather holds....this morning was incredible....mid 40's, no mirage and no wind....fingers crossed for more of the same.
jeezus, Pat...no one is gonna want to shoot against you. good shooting!
That 260 is a Hammer Pat ! grin Looking Forward to it ~!!

Pat shoots the centers out like this one ! We both did it that day.. Pat has a very similar pic ! grin

781 yards, took the center steel out

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I hope the weather holds....this morning was incredible....mid 40's, no mirage and no wind....fingers crossed for more of the same.

DAMNATION!
Very nice, Pat!!
[Linked Image]

My gawd......

Love those kinda days....too few and far between though....

Love to come out this weekend, but have 600 BR match to go to. Been scheming on exactly what I'd bring anyway......
My rancher friend, who is hosting the shoot was spotting for me. I had warmed up on the 500M gong and 700M steel target when I finished my last six shots on this one. These six were tighter than my shots on the 700M gong.....go figure! The barrel was too hot to touch also.
The barrel was too hot to touch also

That's one way to stress relieve a barrel.......ouch....

Musta been tough to put the sixth one in there...shaky finger and all....... grin
Thanks Pat, yeah that 260 is layin em in there!
Umm...well.... I DID feel good about the group my Nosler 2nd's shot @ the 530 steel Sunday morning...

[Linked Image]

Now I feel like peasant... grin

Travis
I wish I bought a couple more thou of those..
Yo tambien...

Travis
I'm humbled and haven't even shot yet.
I'm so humbled. I'm gonna go watch my kid play ball in Kansas instead of getting my ass handed to me.....
Kansas?

Travis
No prize tables or trophies handed out at the IBS. We have fun, learn from each other and make new friends !

Come on up ! smile
I'd love to. But my boy is a senior at a little college in KS, and has 2 doubleheaders fri and sat. AND, it's senior weekend, so me and my oldest boy are going out to watch some baseball instead of enjoying the company of you fine gentlemen.....
At the Icebreaker what type of position is the norm? bipods and prone? portable bench setups? what is the plan. Magnum Man
mostly bipods and prone, but there will be a bench or two there as well

from last year
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Great pics Sendero Man they sure answered my questions. Looking at the map it looks like a 1000 mile round trip for me.But the things I'll learn and the people I get to meet will make that well worth while.See you there. Magnum Man

Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
But the things I'll learn and the people I get to meet will make that well worth while.

Exactly right.....

[Linked Image]

Looks like that load could use a little work... laugh

Pat, looks like it's gonna cool off, which would be nice.
Maybe the wind will stop blowing for you guys by the weekend.

....Maybe the wind will stop blowing for you guys by the weekend.

There's probably a reason Camp Perry is in Ohio, and not NE MT......grin.
Winds to 40 mph on Thu, snow likely on Friday night.

It's definitelty springtime weather in MT.........LOL,

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...w&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

Sounds awesome!
Shane, it warmed up pretty good the last couple days and April has been a windy sonuvabitch!

Gruff and Co., looks like Friday could be damp. I would stay on the gravel unless Travis is driving. If it's his pickup it'll just be funny....grin
It's been real warm here the last couple days too, we got into the 80s. It's cooling off here too though, looks like high in the 40s on Friday around here.
Winds to 40 mph on Thu, snow likely on Friday night.

It's definitelty springtime weather in MT.........LOL,

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...w&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

course you gotta take that with a grain of salt.......Saturday night they said Sunday would be calm.....it was gusting over 30 less than 12 hours later....
I hear ya. If you don't like the weather, wait 30 minutes......grin
Shane, it warmed up pretty good the last couple days and April has been a windy sonuvabitch!

Gruff and Co., looks like Friday could be damp. I would stay on the gravel unless Travis is driving. If it's his pickup it'll just be funny....grin

I'm tempted to make it an adventure, I gotta try out the new Power Wagon and put her through the paces at some point! Plus, I need to hear Travis admit it's a badazz rig. Then I'll be happy. grin
I think if you really put it through hell, and really show me what she's got, I might believe you.

I highly doubt that tent will arrive when it was supposed to. Bring your blankie.

Travis

Haha! You wish. The Boyota is unstoppable. And a chick magnet.

Travis
Pics?
Hope you're sitting down.

[Linked Image]

Travis
Wow, I will never flip you schit about the Boyota again.
The bumper sticker is EPIC. No wonder it's a magnet.
Lead on. grin
Originally Posted by wageslave
The bumper sticker is EPIC.

I would have expected something more along the lines of...
[Linked Image]
..........I highly doubt that tent will arrive when it was supposed to. Bring your blankie.

Travis

Let me know if you are serious.

I was planning on bringing a 2-man tent, but I've got an 8-man tent I can bring along. It's one of those Cabelas alaskan guide dome tents. Two or three can stay in it with lots of elbow room.
Shane,

I was serious, but after further investigation it appears it is on a mail truck somewhere in Havre at this very moment. I am on the hunt.

Very much appreciate the offer though.

Travis
Originally Posted by wageslave
Wow, I will never flip you schit about the Boyota again.
The bumper sticker is EPIC. No wonder it's a magnet.
Lead on. grin

She's a classy ride. Hard to capture it in it's natural habitat though. Women always get in the way of the camera lens.

[Linked Image]

Travis
Tough to beat a Toyota they seem to go where ever and forever...I will say the bumper sticker shows the "flave" in a new light.... smile
It's how "Promise Keepers" identify themselves as "one woman, christian men, that tow the line".

Travis
And yes, it's a longbed.

Travis
We you could drop the tow-bar and hook it on my truck to pull to the shoot, some kids might want a 4-wheeler to put around in.
They'll probably be too enthralled with the Power Wagon. Might be something they'll grow up and just have to have.

You know how a child's mind works...

Travis
grin

Mobile shooting platform, I can layout in the bed of mine, but your hood is better for shooting off. If you'd quit worrying about the paint.

Got all my ammo loaded finally, all stacked up and ready to go. Gonna have a pile to reload before the bear hunt.
Pat,

just to make sure before you get busy......the shoot is over just off the Ridge Road on the Bone Trail end(versus TC end).....and what time does stuff kick off Saturday?
Early... GRIN
lol figured as much.....its a 2 hour run for me to get out to the Ridge Road from here.....may see if the wife wants to just stay out at the Pines Friday night at her parents cabin......
think there was mention of meeting at a Campground early Sat. morning and then head there.. not sure on time.
Hope I'm awake.

Travis
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
grin

Mobile shooting platform, I can layout in the bed of mine, but your hood is better for shooting off. If you'd quit worrying about the paint.

Got all my ammo loaded finally, all stacked up and ready to go. Gonna have a pile to reload before the bear hunt.

The paint is beautiful. It warrants concern.

Travis
think there was mention of meeting at a Campground early Sat. morning and then head there.. not sure on time.

It's getting pretty well daylight by 5:30AM. Lets meet at the campground at 6:30. We'll have a lot of shooting to do, plus we can get ahead of the wind/mirage a bit. Bring your own grub and drinks and bring some rain gear and warm duds just in case it's like it was last year. Right now the wind is up and they say for the next day and a half there is a lake wind advisory. Saturday and Sunday look pretty good for less wind, but chilly.
Cinch and I are heading out. See everyone there !
Be safe. See you guys there.

Travis
I'll admit, I'm Jealous and feeling left behind,

You guys have fun...Lots of fun...This get-together sounds lofty on the cool-o-meter.

We all expect lots of pics, Designate an official camera man please,and then post copious amounts of same.
Is it too late to move it down closer to Reed Point? I will be down there turkey hunting in the early morning, but will then have time most of the days to shoot...
There will be plenty of photo takin'...

If anybody forgot anything essential, let me know. I'm headin' out around 3ish.

shrapnel,

If you do make it, you are welcome to stay in the tipi with BGG and I. Just remember, it's shirtless Friday.

Travis
After reading all the bad news on the tipi, I don't know if I could fit my 4 wheeler and my turkey decoys with me in the tent...
Laughin'...

Can't say I didn't offer.

Travis
I was thinking about heading over just to see what real shooting looked like, but the weather has me wimping out. cry Have fun fellas.
I was thinking the same thing - Between the weather and work I'm gonna miss this year too.
Im feelin left behind too! Someday Im gonna make one of these shoots! I really want to learn how to stretch the legs on my 338 Edge! Damn work....
Honestly the rain has dampened my enthusiasm a bit, but what the hell, it'll be fun regardless.
I'm hiding under your beard if it gets nasty.

Travis
Careful, the mice bite.
Don't know what it looked like down there today, but just a little ways NE of there it's miserable. Rain is coming down in buckets and the wind is blowing like a busload of queers.
raining down here but no wind to speak of.....im gonna head out and meet up with Travis and BGG before long.....
Originally Posted by ranger1
the wind is blowing like a busload of queers.

Thanks for the laugh! I needed that! It rained hard most of yesterday afternoon/evening and most of the night but stopped about 8:30am. Of course the wind picked up and has been blowin 30-40mph all day sucking the little bit of moisture right back out of the ground.
We needed this rain.

I don't feel the least bit sorry for the [bleep]......grin
Never have let a lttle weather keep me home....grin!

We have about 12 guys. Nice set-up and we're heading out to shoot in just a few.
This snow should make the misses easy to spot grin
We needed this rain.

I don't feel the least bit sorry for the [bleep]......grin

We did need this rain, going make the pastures nice and green.
Radar shows those guys still getting wet. Hell, it was 3/4 greasy down on the riverbottom this morning, bet the country over west is really soaking it up.

Haven't seen this all Spring, waiting to hear how it went out there! Points awarded for not sliding off the road....grin
[Linked Image]
Maygan's gonna let you have it for dropping that chit all over the driveway!
That MO breaks muck is like nothing else I've ever seen. Saw a guy pulling a 5th wheel camper out past Slippery Anne one time - all 4 wheels on the camper were just dragging. Brings new meaning to greasy roads. Should have just drove over there and shot today - spent the day measuring roofs instead. Nothing like trying to walk on wet cedar shingles to make you wish you were doing something else.
some of the guys are shooting tomorrow but i said screw it and came home rather than sleep in the Yukon another night......Pat and MontanaMarine were connecting with steel at over a mile even in the chitty weather......wind was doing wierd things way out there.....shot Magnum_Man's 45-110 Sharps.....definitely need a sharps rifle grin

lots of cool rigs and guys that knew what in the hell they were doing with them.....guys from 9 different states including Montana showed up.....
Calm this morning.....but more rain.

Heading back out for more. Finish it up by noon today.
I had a good time. Met a lot of cool guys and saw some neat rigs. Thanks again for setting it up Pat, and I'll plan on coming again next year.
You guys don't forget to post some pictures. Especially, the incriminating ones grin
It was a good time for sure.

This is scenarshooter and MontanaMarine.

[Linked Image]

Travis
Shane (he's a really good dude) can kick some ass with the 208gr A-Maxes.
[Linked Image]

Travis
[Linked Image]

Travis
Who was driving the mini van? Was that BGG? grin
He drove his Power Wagon.

It's great for "tipi creepin'".
[Linked Image]

Travis
Looks like Shane has a flying carpet to shoot off of. grin
A big thank's to Pat for putting this together, it was a great time. The range was awesome, conditions were challenging with the cool temps, and steady wind driven rain, maybe some wannabe snow flying too.

Here's a few pics,

Friday evening sky,
[Linked Image]

The general target area as seen from the firing line,
[Linked Image]
There was steel from 200-ish yards out to 1780 or so yards. Very nice. Winds were probably in the 15-30 mph range all day long, generally from about 7-8 oclock most of the morning, switching to 10-11 oclock in the afternoon.

The ground was getting wetter as the day went on, making it a challenge to spot impacts, especially at the more distant targets.

Here's our OP/FP. We were on a bit of a ridge with great visibility in all directions. Pat had arranged for a wall tent and woodstove for a place to get some respite from the weather. That was really nice. We had an all-hands working party getting it set up. The canvas made quite a sail, but there was enough of us to git-r-done.
[Linked Image]

A couple pics of the firing line. There's Magnum Man, Billygoat Gruff, deflave, George Gardner, Pat, the landowner (I believe), Sendero Man, Cinch, Rattler, and a bunch of other folks who I cannot recall all the names, so I'll refrain from guessing. A good bunch though. No classic 24HCF girly bitchfest like you see here so often. Funny how that works when folks get face-to-face.....grin.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Magnum Man with his 45-110 Sharps,
[Linked Image]

An abandoned firing line....grin,
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/montanamarine/Ice%20Breaker%202/P4280030.jpg[/img]

A full tent,
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/montanamarine/Ice%20Breaker%202/P4280032.jpg[/img]

I pulled chocks Saturday evening, and was back at Canyon Ferry about 4AM today. I know there are more shooters out there today, making it happen. Hope it's a great shooting day.
Shane, whenever my phone gets charged ive got a pic of you behind that Sharps aswell grin
Any plans for a summer outing???
Shane, whenever my phone gets charged ive got a pic of you behind that Sharps aswell grin

Awesome!

[Linked Image]

I set up my wall tent on the firing line at the Kifaru get-togethers, for the same reason... Wisht I coulda made it.

[Linked Image]

And, I gotta miss the Kifaru deal this year, too. The same kid I watched play ball this weekend, is graduating the weekend of kifaru....

[Linked Image]

Dawn was pretty easy to look at out there this morning...
[Linked Image]

Up on top looking east.
[Linked Image]

Fellow government trapper from Miles City, Alan Brown getting ready to shoot this morning. He's pretty handy with his GAP .260. He shoots 130gr VLD's.
[Linked Image]

Members of the "one mile club", Jamie(Cinch), yours truly, and George Gardner(10X Rifle). We all shot our .338 Lapua's fairly well, considering conditions. Jamie shot 300gr SMK's, Georges hits were with 250gr scenar's and I shot 300gr Berger OTM's.
Looks like you all had a blast. I hope to be able to make it out for one of these shoots some day.
......Pat and MontanaMarine were connecting with steel at over a mile even in the chitty weather.......

Just to keep things honest, I'm not sure I got any confirmed hits at 1788. I was dancing all around it, with some shots not able to be called. So, I'm not claiming any mile hits, but it might be so. Conditions were pretty tough for the 30-06 at that distance.

I did make a few solid/spotted hits at 1500 yards though, and consistently hammered the 1000 yard wolf target.

That was with the 30-06 launching 208s at about 2700 fps.
I thought you hit it, either way you were rocking that 06!
im with BGG, from where we were watching some of those had to have been hits......if they werent it sure was neither your fault, nor your rifle, that wind was pushing stuff a different direction ex=very other shot......really gonna have to work on getting a rig that can hang with yours and Pats and the others next year....the whole long range game was pretty foreign to me when i showed up but i soaked up a good deal of info sitting and chatting with some of the guys....
really gonna have to work on getting a rig that can hang with yours and Pats and the others next year....the whole long range game was pretty foreign to me when i showed up but i soaked up a good deal of info sitting and chatting with some of the guys....

Who all's placing orders tomorrow? I warned deflave before he went that he'd be selling his shillelaghs to raise money for new gear. He said he'd stay happy slummin'... Still true?
the 6.5SAUM that was being discussed regularly sounds damn tempting.... grin course im a bit of a 6.5mm slut as is laugh
I think Travis' gears are turning on a Fatty in an A5 stock.
I'm burnin' up a .300 SAUM barrel as quick as I can...
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
really gonna have to work on getting a rig that can hang with yours and Pats and the others next year....the whole long range game was pretty foreign to me when i showed up but i soaked up a good deal of info sitting and chatting with some of the guys....

Who all's placing orders tomorrow? I warned deflave before he went that he'd be selling his shillelaghs to raise money for new gear. He said he'd stay happy slummin'... Still true?

I have to say, Shane's 30 cal's were pretty damn impressive. And they could maybe still fit the "slummin'" category. Which I'm all about... grin

I really enjoyed just lookin' through some high end spotters more than anything. It was cool to have all that glass lined up out there.

Fun stuff.

Travis
I think Travis' gears are turning on a Fatty in an A5 stock.

You be correcto... grin

Travis
I'm burnin' up a .300 SAUM barrel as quick as I can...

Hurry up...

Travis

I really enjoyed just lookin' through some high end spotters more than anything. It was cool to have all that glass lined up out there.

Fun stuff.

Travis

yeah, definitely learned at the very least i need new glass.....
what glass was on hand?
Leica and Zeiss spotters are what I was referencing.

Travis
And Swaro.

Travis
And if you were looking through comparable spotters, apples to apples,

Was there a clear winner?
i was looking through a Ziess that i believe belonged to Pat.....kicks the chit out of the cheap crap im using.....
Pulled in at 7PM tonight and have been squaring my stuff away.1 st I'd like to thank Pat and Alan for the extra effort and fine job they did in making sure that everybody had a good time.Meeting guys like Montana Marine ,Deflave, BGG ,Rattler,Sendero Man,Scenarshooter made the 1000 mile round trip more worth the while than I can describe and all the others I didn't catch names on but talked to.I had a great time.My 308 saw most of my action and shot some thru a M70 30-338 that is a coyote killer for sure, I call it "Big Bitch".My 45 -110 only got a hand full thru it but Rattler and Montana Marine had an itch they needed to scratch trying it. Visibilty was definetly not the best for a Soule sight rear and and aperature frt.

More than anything I went to learn about shooting long range with modern CF's and I did get most of the essentials sorted out. Naturally you need a rifle and load capable of doing that and a scope that can repeatably adjusted for the distances you want to shoot.It is a whole lot easier to do for quick results if you have a spotter with high qual glass telling where you are hitting. The gong targets give you instant hit or miss results. Bigger bullets tend to be easier to spot the misses on.Accurate repeatable rangefinding skills are most essential( can you say Leica?).I was impressed with the array of quality LR guns at the shoot as well as their optics. Sendero Man put his rangefinder in my hands to use on a couple of targets, I think I'm ruined or gonna be shortly, WOW. Thanks again to Pat and crew what a great time. Really glad to meet so many from the 'fire'.. Magnum Man
Originally Posted by Kenneth
And if you were looking through comparable spotters, apples to apples,

Was there a clear winner?

I don't know that they were apples to apples, but the Leica I used was pretty goddammed stunning.

The Zeiss Pat uses was no slouch either.

But, if I were to flip a coin, I think I would hope it landed on the Leica side.

Angle eye pieces make my brain hurt. I don't know why.

Travis
Pulled in at 7PM tonight and have been squaring my stuff away.1 st I'd like to thank Pat and Alan for the extra effort and fine job they did in making sure that everybody had a good time.Meeting guys like Montana Marine ,Deflave, BGG ,Rattler,Sendero Man,Scenarshooter made the 1000 mile round trip more worth the while than I can describe and all the others I didn't catch names on but talked to.I had a great time.My 308 saw most of my action and shot some thru a M70 30-338 that is a coyote killer for sure, I call it "Big Bitch".My 45 -110 only got a hand full thru it but Rattler and Montana Marine had an itch they needed to scratch trying it. Visibilty was definetly not the best for a Soule sight rear and and aperature frt.

More than anything I went to learn about shooting long range with modern CF's and I did get most of the essentials sorted out. Naturally you need a rifle and load capable of doing that and a scope that can repeatably adjusted for the distances you want to shoot.It is a whole lot easier to do for quick results if you have a spotter with high qual glass telling where you are hitting. The gong targets give you instant hit or miss results. Bigger bullets tend to be easier to spot the misses on.Accurate repeatable rangefinding skills are most essential( can you say Leica?).I was impressed with the array of quality LR guns at the shoot as well as their optics. Sendero Man put his rangefinder in my hands to use on a couple of targets, I think I'm ruined or gonna be shortly, WOW. Thanks again to Pat and crew what a great time. Really glad to meet so many from the 'fire'.. Magnum Man

You're a cool dude Magnum Man.

Maybe someday we can get trashed around a real campfire. Just need to get scenarshooter to pick the right days... grin

Travis
Spent some time today drying out wet ammo, gear, guns.

Pulled the rifles out of their stocks. The '06 had no rust, all the pieces are parkerized.

The 308 had some rust starting on the bolt face, mag box and follower spring. Just surface stuff, a little oilcan maintenance sorted it out.

was neat as hell to see a round as mundane as your '06 doing so well out to a mile in less than great, calm day conditions.....those 208's you had loaded up for it just plain looked wicked......
Hornady ought to give Shane some stock, cause I think he has started the ball rolling with the 208 Amax and there will be a lot of guys in the next year trying them. Magnum Man
What scopes and mounting systems were used on the 1 mile shooting?
There was a variety of scopes and mounting systems. Bushnell Tactical, S&B, Nightforce
Sendero man what model is your laser RF bino's ? Sure was a treat to check them out. Magnum man
Here are some of the pics I took there... enjoyed it again, and met some more good guys as well. Looking forward to IB # 3 smile

BIG THANKS to Pat for putting this on for a second time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Spent some time today drying out wet ammo, gear, guns.

Pulled the rifles out of their stocks. The '06 had no rust, all the pieces are parkerized.

The 308 had some rust starting on the bolt face, mag box and follower spring. Just surface stuff, a little oilcan maintenance sorted it out.

Same here. My tent smells like BillyGoatGruff.

Travis
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
What is Don's handle on here? I wanted to ask him about his spotter, but I can only remember his real name. LMAO.

Travis
Sendero man what model is your laser RF bino's ? Sure was a treat to check them out. Magnum man

Leica Vector IV's
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

On my 30-06 I'm using a Leupold MK4 16X, in Badger Ord rings, and a 45 MOA Badger Ord base.

With a 100 yard zero, this setup gives me 114 MOA of "up", and 32 MOA "down". 146 MOA total erector travel in that scope, and that is why I like it for playing looooong.

It took 80 moa elevation at 1788 yds (208 AMax, 2700 fps) with plenty of elevation travel in reserve. I was using a center hold for elevation, and holding 4-5 mils windage via the mildot reticle.
Wow... 80 MOA dialed in... that's funny! More than I've got in any scope currently sitting in the safe...
He's a Master Gunns' with an artillery MOS... grin

Travis

On my 30-06 I'm using a Leupold MK4 16X, in Badger Ord rings, and a 45 MOA Badger Ord base.

With a 100 yard zero, this setup gives me 114 MOA of "up", and 32 MOA "down". 146 MOA total erector travel in that scope, and that is why I like it for playing looooong.

It took 80 moa elevation at 1788 yds (208 AMax, 2700 fps) with plenty of elevation travel in reserve. I was using a center hold for elevation, and holding 4-5 mils windage via the mildot reticle.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a 45 MOA base.

Thanks for the information.
I am just full of questions (or something smile ) today.

Did anyone try a sub .30 caliber on the 1 mile target?

not sure if anyone tried it but i know i was listening to a fair bit of talk from George Gardner and the ammo guy, forget his name now, bout the 6.5SAUM and how it should have minimal trouble going out to a mile with the ultra high BC 6.5mm bullets.....know what i heard from those guys impressed me enough im seriously considering one.....especially after dealing with the blast off those 338L's on the line Saturday laugh
I was thinking about a 6.5 on the WSM or SAUM case for my Montana when I toast the barrel... seems like the SAUM would offer a bit better barrel life?

I'm going to have to come out next year for this! Looked like a blast!
know the discussion on the 6.5SAUM was not even loading it to the gills, backing off the load a bit to reduce pressure and help on barrel life didnt hurt performance way out there....least according to the computer data.....i missed how much actual field work had been done but even if it were to struggle some out that far you can still reach out and touch something a hell of a long ways with it.....far enough its got my interest....especially as i said earlier i am a 6.5mm slut as i have 3 different ones in the safe now...
not sure if anyone tried it but i know i was listening to a fair bit of talk from George Gardner and the ammo guy, forget his name now, bout the 6.5SAUM and how it should have minimal trouble going out to a mile with the ultra high BC 6.5mm bullets.....know what i heard from those guys impressed me enough im seriously considering one.....especially after dealing with the blast off those 338L's on the line Saturday laugh

A 6.5 SAUM. That is interesting. The muzzle blast off the big .338's is wicked. Been there, done that. smile
One thing is certain, there were a heck of a lot of cool rifles there, lots of nice gear.

Lots of friendly shooters too, it's a heck of a great time meeting and visiting with folks. We bailed Sat afternoon, but I'm planning on going again next year. Maybe by then I'll have my RUM wrung out a little more.

I did ring a piece of steel out at 830-something yards with my 22-250ai. Personal best so far.
know the discussion on the 6.5SAUM was not even loading it to the gills, backing off the load a bit to reduce pressure and help on barrel life didnt hurt performance way out there....least according to the computer data.....i missed how much actual field work had been done but even if it were to struggle some out that far you can still reach out and touch something a hell of a long ways with it.....far enough its got my interest....especially as i said earlier i am a 6.5mm slut as i have 3 different ones in the safe now...
Sorry to go on a tangent, but that cart is a very intriguing one to me. Seems like you could get great performance out of a 23"-24" barrel, running the 140 class bullets at 3000-3050? Guess it'd be like a 26-28" barreled 6.5x284, but in a lighter, more balanced rig.
I have a 40 moa base and a NXS 5.5-22-50 on my 338 Lapua and dialed 68 moa for my mile shots. George was taking his 6.5 to a mile yesterday and I've no doubts he did it.
One thing is certain, there were a heck of a lot of cool rifles there, lots of nice gear.

Lots of friendly shooters too, it's a heck of a great time meeting and visiting with folks. We bailed Sat afternoon, but I'm planning on going again next year. Maybe by then I'll have my RUM wrung out a little more.

I did ring a piece of steel out at 830-something yards with my 22-250ai. Personal best so far.

You hit it at the 9 Saturday evening?

Travis
Sendero Man stated he hit the longe range gong/plate with his 6mm last year.

I think that sentence is going to cost me some coin.

Travis
I forgot about that.
I'm shocked... grin

Travis

PS-You hit it three times.
John Burns also made the mile with a 264...
Col. Askins was right!

Though, as evidenced by my forgetfulness there are drawbacks.
Yeah, I remember you and SM saying that as well. Pretty cool.

Did you guys have any formal relays on day 2? Any timed events or anything like that?

Travis
Col. Askins was right!

Though, as evidenced by my forgetfulness there are drawbacks.

TFF.

Travis

I did last year ! grin

GAP 6mm Crusader shooting the 105 amax at 3355 fps

Pat and I at 1790 yards with my Mile hit.
[Linked Image]
Sunday was raining pretty bad. We pulled out around 10:30 and there weren't many people left. Don't imagine there was any relays.

Here's a pic of this setup.

[Linked Image]

If you click "reply" and scroll down you will get a full sized pic. The forum shrunk it down a good bit.
Montana Marine shooting it with PGS spotting for him

[Linked Image]
MontanaMarine shooting Magnum Man's Sharps 45-110
[Linked Image]
Laffin'.....George and Josh are still here waiting for truck parts to show up. They're out shooting again today with Steve. I had to "work".....got three coyotes that were chewing on calves in one calving pasture. One was 820 meters with the 6XC and 115 VLD's.

Beautiful up here right now....
no chit its beautiful, why couldnt it have been like this on Sat or Sun?

I did last year ! grin

GAP 6mm Crusader shooting the 105 amax at 3355 fps

Pat and I at 1790 yards with my Mile hit.
[Linked Image]

Whose tractor did you shoot the wheels off of ? grin

In all seriousness that is very impressive.

Here's a pic of this setup.

[Linked Image]

If you click "reply" and scroll down you will get a full sized pic. The forum shrunk it down a good bit.

That is an impressive looking piece of equipment.
Laffin'.....George and Josh are still here waiting for truck parts to show up. They're out shooting again today with Steve. I had to "work".....got three coyotes that were chewing on calves in one calving pasture. One was 820 meters with the 6XC and 115 VLD's.

Beautiful up here right now....

It was so nice in Havre Saturday evening, we hooked a right and went to the range... grin

Travis
Looks like everybody had fun!
Really wish I could have made it. Next year I plan to make it a point to get there. Our range maxes out at 500 yds, much beyond that seems like a he11 of a long ways. I don't know if I could even see the plate at a full mile. Be fun to learn from guys that can shoot like that.

Some more pictures for those interested.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was "tolerably wet" but we all had fun....

Thanks Pat!

Nice pictures ~!
Great pictures everyone - thanks for posting for us that couldn't make it. Sure will try and make it next year though!!
was neat as hell to see a round as mundane as your '06 doing so well out to a mile in less than great, calm day conditions.....those 208's you had loaded up for it just plain looked wicked......

The 208 AMax is an excellent 30-cal bullet for long range. .648 BC.

Here's a pic of what the whole bullet looks like, beside a loaded 308 Win cartridge.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In calmer weather at 5000' elev, I've shot them to a bit past a mile from a 308Win, with surprising consistency. That was started at 2600 fps in a 1/12 barrel.

I tried the same 308Win load/rifle at Pat's shoot, at about 2900' elev. per google. The lower elev, and the wind and wet ground made it impossible for me to register any impacts at all at his mile+ target. It was just too much for the 308 under those conditions.
Beware of this 30-06 when in the hands of Montana Marine. I have shot beside it on several occations.

Jeff
After seeing him shoot it, I'm in complete agreement.

Welcome to the 'fire Jeff.

Jason

Jason

My presence can be completely blamed on Sendero Man and Montana Marine.

Thanks for the welcome Jason.

Jeff
Originally Posted by Broz

Jason

My presence can be completely blamed on Sendero Man and Montana Marine.

Thanks for the welcome Jason.

Jeff

Hey.... I resemble that remark grin
Hey Jeff, welcome to the 24HCF!
Welcome to the fire Jeff.

Travis
Thanks for the welcome guys!! Nice to see some fellow long range boys over here. I had no idea.

Jeff

guessing there will be more of us after every one of these shoots......wasnt to interested in long range till watching the guys make hits way the hell out there on Saturday......already been talking to a 'smith and gathering up the parts to send him laugh

Yup....it's addictive!

smile
© 24hourcampfire