Home
Posted By: wyowinchester GRIZZ TAG - 07/07/18
It's a little complicated, but this is one tag I would like to have.
The first hunt for grizzly in decades. Get your app. in.
Posted By: memtb Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/08/18
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
It's a little complicated, but this is one tag I would like to have.
The first hunt for grizzly in decades. Get your app. in.

Our G&F.....can make drinking water complicated! The wife and I studied the regulations, we'll contact our “Philadelphia Lawyer” soon....hopefully he can make sense of it! 😁 memtb
Posted By: T_Inman Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/08/18
I am in for a DMA hunt, but to be honest, the hunt may be more trouble than it's worth.

There's so damn many rules and people watching you, not to mention all the harassment you'll get from the antis.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/08/18
I decided it was too much trouble and rules too...
Posted By: wyowinchester Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/09/18
I talked the G&F twice with questions. They were helpful in answering all my concerns. I think I have a vague understanding of how it will work.
My brother and I will team up if either of us get a call.
Posted By: memtb Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/09/18
Good Luck.....We’re still “pondering” it! memtb
Posted By: sbhooper Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/09/18
A little rich for my blood and I don't have a place big enough for a rug, anyway. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, and who becomes the first to kill a griz in Wyoming in many years.
Posted By: memtb Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/09/18
Morn’ing Sid! Other than the application fee, our expenses will be minimal.....highly unlikely that we will draw. If we do,then, ya gotta get a bear....more unlikely! If all of the planets align, and we get a bear, we’ll cut the rug into 4 pieces, hang a piece on each wall....then we’ll have 4 “bear” walls! 😉 memtb
Posted By: sbhooper Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/10/18
Originally Posted by memtb
Morn’ing Sid! Other than the application fee, our expenses will be minimal.....highly unlikely that we will draw. If we do,then, ya gotta get a bear....more unlikely! If all of the planets align, and we get a bear, we’ll cut the rug into 4 pieces, hang a piece on each wall....then we’ll have 4 “bear” walls! 😉 memtb

Lol.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/20/18
I saw the tag was going for $6,000.00 Not sure, if this is true or not. If so the state is using it for a money grab.
Posted By: wyowinchester Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/20/18
Grabin all the bunny huggers money.
Posted By: szihn Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/20/18
I hunt among them most years. I am not interested in shooting one for a "trophy".

I am not someone that values trophies much, and I have never paid a taxidermist in my life. I don't begrudge anyone that does, but it's not something that keeps my interest at all.
With that said, I can see no reason to hunt a grizzly except to eliminate one from the mountains. One is not enough, (it would not be bad to eliminate about 1000 of them, and about 98% of all the wolves too) and I am SURE not going to pay more than about $10 the state government to do it.. The Wyoming State government is what caused this problem in the 1st place, and I see no reason I would pay them even more to fix it out of my own pocket. The government in Cheyenne did this by actively cultivation the problem and also by allowing the Feds to tell them what they have to do (when they don't have to at all)

Funny how government ALWAYS causes the problem and then they ALWAYS want to "manage" the solution ............... and that solution is ALWAYS something that costs more money from the people that the problem afflicts, and enriches the ones that cause the problem in the 1st place.

Posted By: moose444 Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/21/18
Very well stated.
Posted By: 204guy Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/21/18
Originally Posted by szihn
I hunt among them most years. I am not interested in shooting one for a "trophy".

I am not someone that values trophies much, and I have never paid a taxidermist in my life. I don't begrudge anyone that does, but it's not something that keeps my interest at all.
With that said, I can see no reason to hunt a grizzly except to eliminate one from the mountains. One is not enough, (it would not be bad to eliminate about 1000 of them, and about 98% of all the wolves too) and I am SURE not going to pay more than about $10 the state government to do it.. The Wyoming State government is what caused this problem in the 1st place, and I see no reason I would pay them even more to fix it out of my own pocket. The government in Cheyenne did this by actively cultivation the problem and also by allowing the Feds to tell them what they have to do (when they don't have to at all)

Funny how government ALWAYS causes the problem and then they ALWAYS want to "manage" the solution ............... and that solution is ALWAYS something that costs more money from the people that the problem afflicts, and enriches the ones that cause the problem in the 1st place.

Wtf, are you talking about. Are you proposing the state should ignore the ESA? WY has the most aggressive wolf and grizzly management of any state excepting AK. They've lost in court as a result of it too.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/21/18
I am putting in.. It was the anti's that ended hunting them in the first place..
Posted By: T_Inman Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/26/18
Results are out.

I am ranked number 173 in line, so it's a no-go for me...
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/26/18
Better than I 1493!!!!
Posted By: magnum44270 Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/27/18
#97!
Posted By: lima1seven Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/27/18
Posted By: memtb Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/27/18
# 6.......just kidding! 🤭 memtb
Posted By: 805 Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/27/18
Just read a photographer is #8 and has already stated he won't be hunting them but just photographing them.

https://buckrail.com/wildlife-photo...ag-says-he-wont-bring-a-gun-on-the-hunt/
Posted By: moose444 Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/27/18
I'm number 1320. I'd sure as hell like to kill one and eat a steak from him.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/27/18
Originally Posted by 805
Just read a photographer is #8 and has already stated he won't be hunting them but just photographing them.

https://buckrail.com/wildlife-photo...ag-says-he-wont-bring-a-gun-on-the-hunt/

That's great and all but if I am not mistaken, with the DMA griz tag system (which I am not a big fan of---but it does help in this sense), if #8's turn comes up and he refuses or "doesn't get one", that opportunity will just go to the next hunter in line in the next hunt time period. They'll keep going down the line of hunters until either the allotted number of boars are killed, or a sow is killed, which would shut off the entire hunt.

Mr. Mangelsen simply donated his $5 to the WY G&F. If he'd of drawn a non-DMA tag, then he'd of "won", but not with the hunt he put in for.
Posted By: wyowinchester Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/27/18
I hope he gets a real good close up. Encounter.
Posted By: 805 Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/27/18
T Inman

I believe you are correct. Even if he takes the tag he only gets 10 days and then it will move on to #9. If I was #9 I would actually be excited especially if it makes it to #8 you know the quota isn't going to change!!
Rumor has it #2 is also a non hunter.

Also it may not even make it to #8 if a sow is killed. Sure hope it makes it a while before that happens.
Posted By: lima1seven Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/28/18
Just heard about this on the radio. Freaking liberals
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/28/18
Originally Posted by lima1seven

1480? My number is 3,476...so, you're telling me there's a chance.
Posted By: wyowinchester Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/28/18
That's a $600.00 plus license to photograph a grizzly.
Man those Libs are smart.

UPDATE (July 27): Shoot ‘Em with a Camera is reporting a second person drawing within the top 22 has vowed not to shoot a bear. Kelly Mayor of Jackson was drawn #2 for Hunt Area 1-6. She says she will get out in the field with no intent to hunt a grizzly.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/28/18
hmmm.....it looks like exactly 3500 residents put in for the DMA hunt according to the stastics page at Griz Hunt Numbers .....and two of the top ten names drawn with a realistic chance at the hunt are antis from Jackson?

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but this sounds a bit fishy.
Another article is saying that Tom Mangelsen is from Nebraska. No non-residents were drawn for the DMA hunt according to the statistics page.

There seems to be a lot of bad and mis-information out there concerning this whole deal.....like usual.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: GRIZZ TAG - 07/28/18
T,

What's a DMA hunt?

The tactics of using Antis to apply for very limited tags reminds me of the preacher in some town who was going to buy as many raffle tickets for an AR as he could get ahold of, and if he won have the rifle destroyed. It's somewhat similar to voting precincts with open primaries having voters cross party lines to get a favorite out of the upcoming election by way of voting in a shill or a non-competitive candidate.

America............gotta love the freedom to do crappy things sometimes, eh?

Imagine if enough antis put in for Kaibab mulie tags and few hunters could draw that tag after waiting years.

Geno
DMA is the Demographic Monitoring Area for the grizzly bears in Wyoming. I am pretty sure that's what it stands for.

I get grumpy with even pro hunting folks putting in for tags and and not being serious about using that tag...let alone the antis purposefully not filling it. Why dilute draw odds (unless you're an anti) if you're not serious about going on that hunt? There are folks who have put in for tags for years without being drawn and would love to hunt a species or an area and then other people put in for the hell of it and end up being drawn...just to say meh....I don't think I will even go try.

That pisses me off to no end, though I do believe it is their right to do so. Sheep and goat tags are the worst. Lots of people put in, then reality sets in as to how hard the hunt is or the price of the tag (which is why I prefer hunts that require you to put the money up front before the draw), and they don't even try. It gets frustrating seeing people draw tags I have put in for for years and not even going on the hunt for reasons other than family emergencies, etc.
T,

Thanks for the DMA clarification. (You and I know for our work that acronyms are so much fun they made a million of them......for one agency!)

Hafta agree with you on a lot of points. I had to eat an AZ turkey tag this spring, one I used a bunch of saved up points to get. That job I had in E WA started bfor turkey seasons started and my big OT season was when they opened, so since 2010 I was banking bonus points just waiting until I retired. It was a split season, I knew I was going to miss the first week and then use part of the week between to get down there and then hunt the last two weeks. Then I got sick and couldn't go. Couldn't even use the point protection deal AZ has because the season had already opened. And I couldn't donate it to Hunt Of A Lifetime as I have with others. These types of non use of a tag I understand.

I sure wish there was something we could do with those other folks. Hell, I'm old now, and I have a bunch of sheep points for AZ. If I should be lucky enough to draw I'm going unless I honest;y can't for some emergency. If I get there and find I'm too old to climb after sheep.......I guess I'll have to crawl up after them.

Tags are so hard to get sometimes. I like to hunt so I generally don't even bother with putting in for some premium ones. I'm not likely to get drawn for an AZ Unit 10 archery bull tag at my age, so why not put in for an easier unit or a cow tag? If I was in my 30's I might reconsider, but at twice that, no way, I want to get out and hunt.

If you figure out a good way to keep the antis out of the draw process, or those who really don't want to hunt, let me know. I'll back your play. smile

Geno

PS, better luck with next draw for grizzly, should you decide you really want one.
No problem Gene....good luck with any tags you have this year. Being retired you should have more time for any tags you may have.
T,

thanks, I'll need it
Any antlered deer, AZ 6A and a B zone deer tag here in Cali.

Geno
© 24hourcampfire