Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just read a photographer is #8 and has already stated he won't be hunting them but just photographing them.

https://buckrail.com/wildlife-photo...ag-says-he-wont-bring-a-gun-on-the-hunt/

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'm number 1320. I'd sure as hell like to kill one and eat a steak from him.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 805
Just read a photographer is #8 and has already stated he won't be hunting them but just photographing them.

https://buckrail.com/wildlife-photo...ag-says-he-wont-bring-a-gun-on-the-hunt/

That's great and all but if I am not mistaken, with the DMA griz tag system (which I am not a big fan of---but it does help in this sense), if #8's turn comes up and he refuses or "doesn't get one", that opportunity will just go to the next hunter in line in the next hunt time period. They'll keep going down the line of hunters until either the allotted number of boars are killed, or a sow is killed, which would shut off the entire hunt.

Mr. Mangelsen simply donated his $5 to the WY G&F. If he'd of drawn a non-DMA tag, then he'd of "won", but not with the hunt he put in for.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I hope he gets a real good close up. Encounter.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T Inman

I believe you are correct. Even if he takes the tag he only gets 10 days and then it will move on to #9. If I was #9 I would actually be excited especially if it makes it to #8 you know the quota isn't going to change!!
Rumor has it #2 is also a non hunter.

Also it may not even make it to #8 if a sow is killed. Sure hope it makes it a while before that happens.

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
L
Just heard about this on the radio. Freaking liberals

Last edited by lima1seven; 07/27/18.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by lima1seven

1480? My number is 3,476...so, you're telling me there's a chance.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
That's a $600.00 plus license to photograph a grizzly.
Man those Libs are smart.

UPDATE (July 27): Shoot ‘Em with a Camera is reporting a second person drawing within the top 22 has vowed not to shoot a bear. Kelly Mayor of Jackson was drawn #2 for Hunt Area 1-6. She says she will get out in the field with no intent to hunt a grizzly.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
hmmm.....it looks like exactly 3500 residents put in for the DMA hunt according to the stastics page at Griz Hunt Numbers .....and two of the top ten names drawn with a realistic chance at the hunt are antis from Jackson?

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but this sounds a bit fishy.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Another article is saying that Tom Mangelsen is from Nebraska. No non-residents were drawn for the DMA hunt according to the statistics page.

There seems to be a lot of bad and mis-information out there concerning this whole deal.....like usual.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T,

What's a DMA hunt?

The tactics of using Antis to apply for very limited tags reminds me of the preacher in some town who was going to buy as many raffle tickets for an AR as he could get ahold of, and if he won have the rifle destroyed. It's somewhat similar to voting precincts with open primaries having voters cross party lines to get a favorite out of the upcoming election by way of voting in a shill or a non-competitive candidate.

America............gotta love the freedom to do crappy things sometimes, eh?

Imagine if enough antis put in for Kaibab mulie tags and few hunters could draw that tag after waiting years.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
DMA is the Demographic Monitoring Area for the grizzly bears in Wyoming. I am pretty sure that's what it stands for.

I get grumpy with even pro hunting folks putting in for tags and and not being serious about using that tag...let alone the antis purposefully not filling it. Why dilute draw odds (unless you're an anti) if you're not serious about going on that hunt? There are folks who have put in for tags for years without being drawn and would love to hunt a species or an area and then other people put in for the hell of it and end up being drawn...just to say meh....I don't think I will even go try.

That pisses me off to no end, though I do believe it is their right to do so. Sheep and goat tags are the worst. Lots of people put in, then reality sets in as to how hard the hunt is or the price of the tag (which is why I prefer hunts that require you to put the money up front before the draw), and they don't even try. It gets frustrating seeing people draw tags I have put in for for years and not even going on the hunt for reasons other than family emergencies, etc.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T,

Thanks for the DMA clarification. (You and I know for our work that acronyms are so much fun they made a million of them......for one agency!)

Hafta agree with you on a lot of points. I had to eat an AZ turkey tag this spring, one I used a bunch of saved up points to get. That job I had in E WA started bfor turkey seasons started and my big OT season was when they opened, so since 2010 I was banking bonus points just waiting until I retired. It was a split season, I knew I was going to miss the first week and then use part of the week between to get down there and then hunt the last two weeks. Then I got sick and couldn't go. Couldn't even use the point protection deal AZ has because the season had already opened. And I couldn't donate it to Hunt Of A Lifetime as I have with others. These types of non use of a tag I understand.

I sure wish there was something we could do with those other folks. Hell, I'm old now, and I have a bunch of sheep points for AZ. If I should be lucky enough to draw I'm going unless I honest;y can't for some emergency. If I get there and find I'm too old to climb after sheep.......I guess I'll have to crawl up after them.

Tags are so hard to get sometimes. I like to hunt so I generally don't even bother with putting in for some premium ones. I'm not likely to get drawn for an AZ Unit 10 archery bull tag at my age, so why not put in for an easier unit or a cow tag? If I was in my 30's I might reconsider, but at twice that, no way, I want to get out and hunt.

If you figure out a good way to keep the antis out of the draw process, or those who really don't want to hunt, let me know. I'll back your play. smile

Geno

PS, better luck with next draw for grizzly, should you decide you really want one.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No problem Gene....good luck with any tags you have this year. Being retired you should have more time for any tags you may have.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T,

thanks, I'll need it
Any antlered deer, AZ 6A and a B zone deer tag here in Cali.

Geno

In it is contentment

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (1badf350, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,439
Posts18,489,434
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.