Awesome thread!! I'm taking notes.
Posted By: Snyper Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
The buffalo won't care.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
40 grain ballistic tip.
Posted By: pete53 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
Originally Posted by Fireball2
40 grain ballistic tip.

i hope there`s a strong tree i can climb if i am there !
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by Fireball2
40 grain ballistic tip.

i hope there`s a strong tree i can climb if i am there !

Careful, there may be a venomous snake in that tree.
Shouldn't this be in the Africa forum?
Posted By: mudhen Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

The experts who have never been there all hang out over here!
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
Varmint Grenade

The 30 grain Hornet ones to drive DEEP.
Posted By: satx78247 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
mudhen,

Even IF you could reliably kill a Cape Buffalo with a 5.56NATO/,223REM (which I seriously doubt), NO African nation would allow you to try such a "carnival stunt". = Other than the 9.3x62mm (which most African nations allow "by exception"), the minimum bore-size for Dangerous Game is .375.

Fwiw, when one of my "hunting buddies" (She is the President of our TX XB hunting club, btw & has taken a house-full of trophies of all sorts with her XB.) decided to take a Cape Buffalo with a 200# pull XB, the Game Department of that nation REQUIRED her to be "backed up" by a PAIR of Game Wardens, who were armed with .470 caliber double rifles.
(The 2 Wardens were STUNNED when the Cape Buff was hit, bellowed once, took 2 steps & went down, as if pole-axed between the eyes. - The Buff did NOT require a "follow-up" shot & when "dressed out" it was found to have had his aorta completely severed just above the heart.)

yours, tex
Posted By: Region6 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
I have also heard good things about the 30 grain Hornet bullets. PH friend of mine says keep the shots under 200 yards and there's nothing to worry about.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
All of my PH friends feel like it's overkill. Modern 204 Ruger bullets make it the most reasonable choice. With proper bullet placement and selection, overpenetration isn't an issue like it is with the 223. No more accidentally piling up half a herd with a single shot.
Posted By: peeshooter Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
Totally depends on what twist your barrel is.
Posted By: peeshooter Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
All of my PH friends feel like it's overkill. Modern 204 Ruger bullets make it the most reasonable choice. With proper bullet placement and selection, overpenetration isn't an issue like it is with the 223. No more accidentally piling up half a herd with a single shot.

LMAO!
Posted By: NVhntr Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
Lightest bullet at the highest speed possible. Speed kills and the bullet will disintegrate on impact dumping all it's energy at once like a nuclear bomb! That buff won't know what hit him, probably turn him inside out. laugh
If anyone ever thought a 223 FMJ to the dome of a buffalo wouldn’t kill said buffalo stone dead has never seen a full grown angus take a 22lr in the head and hit the dirt. It’s what I would pick, cuz I’m a real man. PH sissies and their big bores.
Posted By: basdjs Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
I think ya need a Creedmoor to kill a cape buffalo. 😏
Posted By: deerstalker Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
.223AI
Posted By: NTG Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
You'll be fine... if you use explosive tips! smirk
Posted By: Cascade Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
Originally Posted by mudhen
What bullet?

mudhen, thank you!

Guy
Posted By: smokepole Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19

No. It belongs in the .223 AI forum.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
No it does not.
Posted By: smokepole Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
No it does not.

Why not?

PS, you do know there is no .223 AI forum?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
You Snowflakes are a HOOT!

If you can't shoot a Gawwdamned Stupid Fhuqking Cow in the head..it's not a "Marketing" "fault",nor a "Guide's" "fault",let alone "DARK Africa's" "fault".

They've been cooking them bitches on the fire for eons,ala spear point and/or rocks. Hint.

You gals are a fhuqking RIOT!

Hint..................
Posted By: smithrjd Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
Well let me know how that works out for you.. And the Guides name so I avoid the outfit like the plague.
Posted By: mudhen Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
Originally Posted by satx78247
mudhen,

Even IF you could reliably kill a Cape Buffalo with a 5.56NATO/,223REM (which I seriously doubt), NO African nation would allow you to try such a "carnival stunt". = Other than the 9.3x62mm (which most African nations allow "by exception"), the minimum bore-size for Dangerous Game is .375.

Fwiw, when one of my "hunting buddies" (She is the President of our TX XB hunting club, btw & has taken a house-full of trophies of all sorts with her XB.) decided to take a Cape Buffalo with a 200# pull XB, the Game Department of that nation REQUIRED her to be "backed up" by a PAIR of Game Wardens, who were armed with .470 caliber double rifles.
(The 2 Wardens were STUNNED when the Cape Buff was hit, bellowed once, took 2 steps & went down, as if pole-axed between the eyes. - The Buff did NOT require a "follow-up" shot & when "dressed out" it was found to have had his aorta completely severed just above the heart.)

yours, tex

shocked Words fail me!
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
You guys are totally overlooking the .380/Buffalo Bore combo.

Now, just why in the wide world of sports do you think they call it *Buffalo* bore, now???

hint
hint... bwaaaaaaa - thats a ghey as the other udde that thinks it's cool touche'
Funny thread this is. Pretty much the only limit on what can be killed with the round, or any round for that matter , is placement.

I've seen ele put down with 5.56 ball. And water buff, pigs, monkeys, people.....you name it. First choice, maybe not, but the limits rest more with the shooter than the cartridge. Oh, almost forgot, a 1911 will drop a buff as well, as far out as 20 yards.
mudhen,

One thing that I found "interesting" about our club's President taking the Cape Buff was that she said that within 20 minutes of the bull being "caped out" that, "Like magic, crowd of local natives arrived with butcher knives, pots, pans & baskets arrived to get free meat. Within another 30 minutes, all that remained of the Buffalo was a pool of blood & stripped bones for the scavengers to finish off."
(Up to now, she is the ONLY person to take a Cape Buff with a XB.)

In 2017, she also took an over 2100 pound Nile Crocodile with the same XB.

yours, tex
Posted By: viking Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
Now a burst from a mini gun might do the trick, kinda like a swarm of bees.😂
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
Did anyone mention that the bullet tumbles?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
And that it acts like a "buzzsaw" when it tumbles. Read that somewhere too, and one little-known fact is that Cape buffalo are apparently highly vulnerable to buzzsaws.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
There's likely been more killed with 7.62x39's...than all else combined.

Hint....................
Posted By: jmd025 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
the Funniest part of this whole thread is the whoosing sound the .223 makes

Going over a select few heads
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
What bullet?

I would use the HorNoSie and in their 35 grain MaBtsp.
Had a 7.62x39 scratch the back of my neck one day, but it failed to penetrate.
Posted By: JayJunem Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
I know this thread was started for entertainment purposes, but didn't one of those old African hunters that people like to reminisce about on here (Bell, Taylor or someone?) shoot a bunch of Cape Buffalo with a .22 Savage High Power back in the day?
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
hint... bwaaaaaaa - thats a ghey as the other udde that thinks it's cool touche'

I don't think you'll find me at all like that "other udde".

But, now I know something that seems to irritate you. grin
Posted By: NVhntr Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
mudhen,

yours, tex

[Linked Image]
NVhntr,

You're missing this: COUTH

yours, tex
I think that fellow is pointing at the area of the brain that controls sense of humor.

Unfortunately, the actual location may be physically lower, so input or stimulus for that area may go right over...
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
Only if it is an AI
Posted By: Owl Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/14/19
Ben.... That's just TOO much gun. I'd look at a .17 HMR
Posted By: Tejano Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/15/19
One PH/Writer I forgot which from Zimbabwe shot a buffalo with his 22 Hornet when he was a youngster. He got a good hiding for it but he dropped the bull with one head shot. He recommends the solids.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/15/19

The experts who have never been there all hang out over here!

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: auk1124 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/15/19
My .177 springer shoots 1000 fps, that ought to get the job done.
Posted By: satx78247 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/15/19
Vic_in_VA,

Unfortunately, I fear that you're dead wrong & he's just a HATER & a FOOL of the first rank. = We have a FEW such brainless/hopeless/arrogant morons on the forum, who believe that THEIR OPINIONS are 100% TRUE & don't like being disagreed with on any subject.
(Sadly, I've also had responses from OUTRIGHT RACISTS, who don't like the fact that I'm NOT a "white" person, am a "part-blood" & also am a forum member. = Over the years, I've had several PMs sent to my "mailbox" that tell me that this forum is, "FOR WHITE PEOPLE ONLY" & to "get off the forum". - In 2019, MOST Americans are NOT "pure-blooded anything". - Instead they are MUTTS, like me.)

ImVho, we have far too many young folks (and some "not so young") who have NEVER hunted anything more dangerous than a cottontail rabbit & I hate to see people post outright BILGE, which may get a "kid" (or somebody/anybody else) hurt or even killed.

IF you want to be "humorous", I suggest that those "jokers" POSITIVELY identify their "funny posts" as
"JOKES" and/or "NOT SERIOUS"", so that them & their posts are not taken seriously by "beginners".
(ALL of us, regardless of age/experience WERE beginners once. = In my case, "when dinosaurs roamed Planet Earth".)

Sadly in 2019, all too many people BELIEVE EVERYTHING that they read on "The Worldwide-WEIRD".

just my OPINION, tex
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/15/19
17 HMR....the obvious choice.
Originally Posted by Owl

I suggest using the 20 gr. In the .17 HMR.
Posted By: hanco Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/15/19
62 Barnes between the eyes
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/15/19
Originally Posted by Badgerloader
Originally Posted by Owl

I suggest using the 20 gr. In the .17 HMR.

Negative Ghostrider, they don't do the buzzsaw trick. Da buff will stomp you into paste.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/15/19
There was a guide in Alaska that shot a grizzly with a .17 on a bet. I think the story is in "Cartridges of the World"?
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/15/19
Vic_in_VA,

Unfortunately, I fear that you're dead wrong & he's just a HATER & a FOOL of the first rank. = We have a FEW such brainless/hopeless/arrogant morons on the forum, who believe that THEIR OPINIONS are 100% TRUE & don't like being disagreed with on any subject.
(Sadly, I've also had responses from OUTRIGHT RACISTS, who don't like the fact that I'm NOT a "white" person, am a "part-blood" & also am a forum member. = Over the years, I've had several PMs sent to my "mailbox" that tell me that this forum is, "FOR WHITE PEOPLE ONLY" & to "get off the forum". - In 2019, MOST Americans are NOT "pure-blooded anything". - Instead they are MUTTS, like me.)

ImVho, we have far too many young folks (and some "not so young") who have NEVER hunted anything more dangerous than a cottontail rabbit & I hate to see people post outright BILGE, which may get a "kid" (or somebody/anybody else) hurt or even killed.

IF you want to be "humorous", I suggest that those "jokers" POSITIVELY identify their "funny posts" as
"JOKES" and/or "NOT SERIOUS"", so that them & their posts are not taken seriously by "beginners".
(ALL of us, regardless of age/experience WERE beginners once. = In my case, "when dinosaurs roamed Planet Earth".)

Sadly in 2019, all too many people BELIEVE EVERYTHING that they read on "The Worldwide-WEIRD".

just my OPINION, tex

OK, Tex, you apparently missed it. The humor escaped you...

First, you compared me directly to some individual directly for the use of one word. I and the individual I *think* you compared me to are definitely two different people with totally different personalities. You said to me, key words are, "another one". That is somewhat inclusive, so....

I don't know why you are preaching to me about you not being white....so what...I've not said a word to you about race, so don't bish at me about it. I could give a rat's ass what color, mix, pedigree, or whatever you are, it just don't matter to me. There's buttholes in every bunch.

I am one "not so young", but I do have extensive experience with operations of a military nature far, far beyond visiting the DFAC.

As far as humor, if you cannot recognize it, I respectfully suggest developing that skill. Your suggestion is noted, and there are things said, displayed, and threads started over topics I don't care for. I simply ignore them, and if I didn"t want to read topics I consider crap, I'd start my own forum...or not open that thread...Something other than asserting my will on others on a forum I don't own. I really hate dumbing things down to the lowest common denominator and frankly find suggestions to do so quite condescending.

I hate typing slow...

Now I have to sell my .223 bolt rifle, and I fear I'll lose my deposit on a hunt I booked next year.

Anybody want to buy a buff hunt?
Placement, placement, placement !!!
Posted By: 22250rem Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/15/19
Any decent .224" bullet should work if using a 223 for Cape Buffalo. But don't try it with a mere bolt gun......It has to be fired from an AR-15 pattern rifle, AKA an "assault rifle" . Because "everybody knows" that those are "killing machines" and fire bullets at such high velocity that they are incredibly lethal on any living thing they hit. As previously mentioned those ultra high velocity projectiles also tumble on impact and create HUGE wound channels so theoretically a Cape Buffalo wouldn't stand a chance. But don't take my word for it. Ask any big newspaper editor about those deadly bullets.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/15/19
So I don't have to sell my bolt rifle, but rather get an "AR Platform weapon System Assault rifle", that's a relief.

A bullet I've considered is the TSX, I assume that is "Tumbler Super Xtreme".

Kids, don't try this at home...ain't no buff there, anyway.....
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/15/19
Mudhen: Now that is provocative for provocatives sake!
But it is also funny.
He-he
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by NVhntr
mudhen,

yours, tex

[Linked Image]

Not to mention that he’s full of SCHITT as usual.
Posted By: satx78247 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/16/19
chlinstructor,

PITY that you seem to be incapable of common decency, minimal politeness to other members and/or even good judgement. - What you certainly are very adept at is being HATEFUL, VULGAR-talking, MEAN-spirited & terminally IGNORANT..

You share those "qualities" with most outright BIGOTS.

yours, tex
Posted By: lynntelk Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/16/19
What bullet?

I would have thought before page two, someone would have stated the oblivious........Nosler Partition. I've heard it stated many times here "never a wrong choice".
Posted By: stxhunter Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/16/19
62 gr tsx
Posted By: mudhen Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/16/19
chlinstructor,

PITY that you seem to be incapable of common decency, minimal politeness to other members and/or even good judgement. - What you certainly are very adept at is being HATEFUL, VULGAR-talking, MEAN-spirited & terminally IGNORANT..

yours, tex

You're lookin' for love in all the wrong places... frown
Posted By: satx78247 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/16/19
mudhen,

While I'm NOT "looking for love", I believe that HATEFUL, VULGAR, BELITTLING & OBSCENE comments by ANY member & directed toward anybody else lowers us all. - I like to think that we are, as a group, better people than that.

just my opinion, tex
Posted By: trplem Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/16/19
The real question is how 'bout the 375 H&H for squirrels? Try hiding behind that tree trunk NOW, yez furry bastard!
Posted By: vapodog Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/16/19
Originally Posted by trplem
The real question is how 'bout the 375 H&H for squirrels? Try hiding behind that tree trunk NOW, yez furry bastard!
If a squirrel weighs over 500 pounds and is charging you.....the .375 might be of some help.....I've heard of very large squirrels in places.....
Posted By: NVhntr Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/16/19
Originally Posted by NVhntr
mudhen,

yours, tex

[Linked Image]

NVhntr,

Thanks, I was wondering where it was. You are a prince among men. Keep up the good work.

yours, tex

No problem, I know Texas is a big place.
Posted By: Tri70 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/16/19
I you shoot him in the ear, the 40 gr bt will make him angry and charge at you, then your buddy can shoot him with a proper gun (375 H&H) and save your butt!:D
If a .223 is adequate, how about a .22 Hornet?
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/16/19
mudhen,

Even IF you could reliably kill a Cape Buffalo with a 5.56NATO/,223REM (which I seriously doubt), ...

Your doubt has been proven wrong more than a few times. Legal issues related to what one uses is irrelevant to whether or not it will kill something.
chlinstructor,

yours, tex

Why don’t you tell us all again the “story” about how your Mom taught Audie Murphy 8th grade English, in a town he didn’t even live in ???

Being as how he dropped out of school in the 5th grade.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/16/19

Nope,the minimum for squirrel is .416".
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

And jackrabbits ! 🤠
Posted By: jmd025 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/16/19
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
chlinstructor,

yours, tex

Why don’t you tell us all again the “story” about how your Mom taught Audie Murphy 8th grade English, in a town he didn’t even live in ???

Being as how he dropped out of school in the 5th grade.

Well damn !
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

And jackrabbits ! 🤠

Correct! smile
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/16/19

Do you actually hit them Hares or they die from the muzzle blast?

You’re the only stud that’s killing tiny furs with a bazooka. Always cracks me up!

😎
Umm,I hit them,don't think muzzle blast can do this. wink
[Linked Image]
More recent...

.450 Howell using a 350 grain Speer.
[Linked Image]

Entrance..
[Linked Image]

Exit...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/16/19
Laffin...Watership down! 😎
More recent...

[Linked Image]

Entrance..
[Linked Image]

Exit...
[Linked Image]

Perfect Heart Shot!!!
Posted By: 44mc Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/17/19
elks quit fibben you hit it with your car grin
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/17/19
Originally Posted by 44mc

whistle
Posted By: Cascade Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/17/19
Originally Posted by 44mc

whistle

LOL! What a deal. smile

Guy
Posted By: Cascade Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/17/19
Umm,I hit them,don't think muzzle blast can do this. wink
[Linked Image]

Dang, that's a purty piece of wood on the rabbit gun! smile

Guy
Posted By: 22250rem Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/17/19
It's all about proper shot placement for a quick kill. Which also eliminates the possibility of having to stop a charge. And that does have a super nice chunk of wood on it.
Posted By: jwall Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/17/19

Negative Ghostrider, ......

Hey ! Johnny's ALIVE !! cool

smile smile

Jerry
mudhen,

Even IF you could reliably kill a Cape Buffalo with a 5.56NATO/,223REM (which I seriously doubt), ...

Your doubt has been proven wrong more than a few times. Legal issues related to what one uses is irrelevant to whether or not it will kill something.

I would listen to Dan !!

Jerry
More recent...

Exit...
[Linked Image]

Ken, you messed up the 'front' shoulder ! whistle laugh

Jerry
Posted By: szihn Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/17/19
Why would you use a 223 when you could use a 22 CB cap?

Or a 12 oz ball-pein hammer?

Oh................ if you no longer need them................can I have your guns?
Posted By: satx78247 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/17/19
chlinstructor,

PITY that I've "caught you IN" at least a few "mistakes of fact" OR more likely in KNOWING LIES. = Tell everyone what your excuse will be when I next go to Mother's home, make a Xerox of the letter that MAJ (He was then a 2LT, USAR.) Murphy wrote from a hospital in USAREUR to my mother at Christmas 1944, when he was recovering from a bullet wound to the hip. = The letter is 5 handwritten pages long & mentions mother teaching him English.
(Mother never taught 5th Grade or any other elementary grade.)
My guess is that MAJ Murphy actually took 8th grade English before going to the TXARNG.

NOTE: MAJ Murphy was evidently born in the hamlet of ONIONVILLE, Hunt County, TX, spent his early boyhood there & after his father deserted the family, he lived in at least 6 different towns before joining the TXARNG. = Mrs. Murphy, Audie & his sisters all did farm "stoop labor" to keep eating regularly & followed the "picking season", wherever they could get work.
His mother also was sometimes employed as a housemaid for various people.
(Life was always difficult for the family, until Audie went onto AD & started sending money home.)

When I copy/post that letter to the forum, we can all have a big HORSE LAUGH at your expense, "Mr. Knowitall".

yours, tex
Posted By: Lennie Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/17/19
Personally for buffalo I prefer a quality expensive British side by side rifle in 22 LR regulated for 74 yard shots. I have read that a bullets effectiveness on buffalo increases by x ❌ pi raised to the tenth power where x represents the price of the rifle. Folks only willing to fork over enough money for a 10-22 to hunt buffalo will most likely be stompled to death by wounded buffalos.
chlinstructor,

PITY that I've "caught you IN" at least a few "mistakes of fact" OR more likely in KNOWING LIES. = Tell everyone what your excuse will be when I next go to Mother's home, make a Xerox of the letter that MAJ (He was then a 2LT, USAR.) Murphy wrote from a hospital in USAREUR to my mother at Christmas 1944, when he was recovering from a bullet wound to the hip. = The letter is 5 handwritten pages long & mentions mother teaching him English.
My guess is that MAJ Murphy actually took 8th grade English before going to the TXARNG.

NOTE: MAJ Murphy was evidently born in the hamlet of ONIONVILLE, Hunt County, TX, spent his early boyhood there & after his father deserted the family, he lived in at least 6 different towns before joining the TXARNG. = Mrs. Murphy, Audie & his sisters all did farm "stoop labor" to keep eating regularly & followed the "picking season", wherever they could get work.
(Life was always difficult for the family, until Audie went onto AD & started sending money home.)

When I copy/post that letter to the forum, we can all have a big HORSE LAUGH at your expense, "Mr. Knowitall".

yours, tex

We will all be holding our breaths awaiting your “post”
Heres a little help so you can get your “story” straight.

The problem with most liars is not being able to remember what they said in the first place.

OrangeOkie,

Fwiw, there a few flaws in the article about MAJ Murphy (He made Major in the TXARNG) was that the ARMY, NAVY, USAAC & the Marines turned him down, as "unsuitable for military service". = He WAS allowed to join the 3/144th Infantry Regiment, TXARNG & when he attended basic training, he was allowed to enlist in the Active Army for a period "of the World War plus 6 months".
(After he received the MoH, I've wondered how embarrassed that all of the people must have been to NOT have accepted THE MOST DECORATED soldier of WWII into their branch of service because of "unsuitability".)

When he was released from AD with the US Army, 1LT Murphy returned to the TXARNG, was promoted to Captain & later to Major.
(He was a Major at retirement from the Texas Guard. - We of the 3/144th Infantry are VERY PROUD of his valor & service, whether AD or ARNG and that he was "one of ours".

Btw, my mother taught Audie (8th Grade English) & all of his sisters (Vocational Home Economics) when she taught school in Elysian Fields. - (After Mother passed away at age 99YO in SEP 2016, we found a long letter from 2LT Murphy in Mother's Bible, that he wrote her just before Christmas 1944 & while he was hospitalized in an Army hospital with a severe bullet-wound to his hip. = 2LT Murphy said in the "Christmas letter" that he had received an appointment to WEST POINT & that he was eager to be a WPMA cadet & looked forward to being a Career Army Officer. - As his luck would have it, his wound never healed sufficiently to allow him to attend West Point & in early 1945 he was released from active Army service for "disability" BUT he never received a service-connected disability check, as far as I can find out.)

yours, tex
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/17/19
Originally Posted by jwall
More recent...

Exit...
[Linked Image]

Ken, you messed up the 'front' shoulder ! whistle laugh

Jerry

Yup. wink
The old blue 40 grain XLC is the bullet of choice for those who know ...
Posted By: buttstock Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/27/19
At some distance, a 223 Rem is nothing more than a 22 Hornet. And at some distance, the 22 Hornet is less powerful than a 22 LR.

So, just get close with your 22 LR. Probably would use a high-velocity copper-plated solid bullet ( not HP) to ensure deep penetration to the vitals. It goes without saying, but, shot placement is everything.

In that regard, the 223 may be Overkill. You can't kill them deader than dead. Don't get me going on the 223 AI or 6.5 Creedmore.

Maybe you guide can use them for back-up rifles.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/27/19
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/27/19
Give me a buffalo and some Barnes 62 TTSX and I'll go for it!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/27/19
Don't be wastin' those fancy bullets, 5.56 ball will do the trick.
Posted By: tomk Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/27/19
better have at least two tags...
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/30/19
Ross Seyfrieds........22Hornet.......Cape Buffalo..........somebody mentioned it.
In Precision Shooting Magazine........22 LR ........elephant.......twice
Posted By: reivertom Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 06/30/19
223 seem like overkill to me...……..I use a green switch to hunt Kodiak Bears, so anything larger than that is not sporting.
Posted By: TheSOB Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 07/02/19
Just stay away from a 270.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 07/02/19
When I was in high school my dad used to say I was getting big enough to hunt bear with a switch. Which is a green branch from a sapling for you who don't speak ohio-an.

So maybe that's the secret. Grab the thin part of a two piece fishing rod and have at it.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 07/02/19
I did shoot a fly last week with a salt gun at work. One of the sales guys bought it and i was playing with it. Damn cool and it worked great.

Cute girl wanted the fly off her desk. I complied. wink

Gonna load it with coper dust from barnes and see if i can piss off a Kodiak.
Depends on if you are using iron sights or not...
Posted By: DrDeath Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 08/27/19
It can be done.
Posted By: memtb Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 08/27/19
As long as I shoot thru the shoulder....with a Berger! wink memtb
chlinstructor,

yours, tex

Guess SATX78247 never could find that “letter” Audie Murphy wrote to his Mother.

Go figure. 😜
Posted By: Dre Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 08/30/19
62 grain green tip between the eyes
Posted By: vapodog Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 08/30/19
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
When I was in high school my dad used to say I was getting big enough to hunt bear with a switch. Which is a green branch from a sapling for you who don't speak ohio-an.

So maybe that's the secret. Grab the thin part of a two piece fishing rod and have at it.
or just grab that Daisy red ryder!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 09/02/19
Having witnessed personally that a single well placed round of 5.56 ball from the Vietnam era will kill anything that walks I do have reservations about tackling a buff with the round. Given no other choice I'd be inclined to stack about 20 pallets of ammo, snatch it in a sling load with a chinook and drop it on his head from about 1,000'.

If it were a buffalo cow you just reduce the lead a little.
Posted By: ingwe Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 09/02/19
Nothing less than a .223AI!
Posted By: PSE Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 09/06/19
I've heard that 7.62X39 works well on any African game. You just need enough of them - shot placement is strictly optional. grin
Having witnessed personally that a single well placed round of 5.56 ball from the Vietnam era will kill anything that walks I do have reservations about tackling a buff with the round. Given no other choice I'd be inclined to stack about 20 pallets of ammo, snatch it in a sling load with a chinook and drop it on his head from about 1,000'.

If it were a buffalo cow you just reduce the lead a little.

LOL. That’ll work!
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
If anyone ever thought a 223 FMJ to the dome of a buffalo wouldn’t kill said buffalo stone dead has never seen a full grown angus take a 22lr in the head and hit the dirt. It’s what I would pick, cuz I’m a real man. PH sissies and their big bores.

I thought exactly the same thing....
Posted By: Prwlr Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 09/06/19
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I did shoot a fly last week with a salt gun at work. One of the sales guys bought it and i was playing with it. Damn cool and it worked great.

Cute girl wanted the fly off her desk. I complied. wink

Gonna load it with coper dust from barnes and see if i can piss off a Kodiak.

laugh

Gotta try that on REALLY big flies.
Posted By: cas6969 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 09/07/19
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Ross Seyfrieds........22Hornet.......Cape Buffalo..........somebody mentioned it.

My recollection was an H&K 300 in .22 Mag and that multiple head shots didn't work.
Posted By: RedneckRob Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 09/07/19
I read where a guy in Germany shot a Roe Deer with a .223. Went though it, a couple of Swine, a Red Deer and a King Tiger Tank ! I’m now convinced it is THE most powerful cartridge that’s ever been invented.
Posted By: pete53 Re: .223 for Cape Buffalo? - 09/07/19
maybe before you shoot your 223 at that black beast, you should make it a little more sporting ? sneak up behind that old black bull slap him on the rearend,then run like heck and then turn and shoot that old black beast with your 223. let me know how that works out for you ?
© 24hourcampfire