Home
Ok, another question of the day from a newbie. I've been reading on another forum about the scumbags in the J'burg airport that feel free to rummage through your bags before you get them. Any of you guys experienced this? If so, what do you do about it?
JG

Joberg does have issues.

From what i have seen bags that are easy targets are:
Luggage with side pouches...weather wrapped in plastic wrap or not were opened.

Hard sided suitcases were broken open and clothing all over the place.

soft sided cases or bags that had there zippers popped open.

What i Take:

I have a bag that is a partial hard and soft case. the zippers are over covered and bound on both side by straps and the zippers lock with a small lock. The straps were lose on one side one time however the bag was not broken into. You have to open all the straps for the flap over the zipper to be raised.
[Linked Image]

I also use the take-down model for when traveling without firearms. Makes it a little harder for the baggage monkeys to pilfer.

[Linked Image]
Don't have anything valuable in your checked bag ...bino's camera etc should be with you in your carry on
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Don't have anything valuable in your checked bag ...bino's camera etc should be with you in your carry on

^^^^^^^^^
That. For sure.
would you be any better off if you shipped your stuff via FedEx or UPS, direct to your destination?
Shipping anything into RSA is the same as kissing it goodbye....
a shot in the dark. lol Should have known the answer.
Auto luggage handling at the Jo'berg airport was down the one time and I waited two days for my luggage. When it arrived at the farm outside of Windhoek every one of my snacks were gone - figured the boys got hungry. Everything else was there other than the food.
I've had roughly 50% of the mail sent to RSA vanish. I've had 100% of the packages mailed within RSA vanish. With normal post.

I've had 100% of the postcards within RSA and sent out of RSA delivered.

By this measure, only ups, dhl, and Fedx will work. However a simple padded Fedx envelope about 2 pounds was 128.00 one week delivery, not guaranteed.

A box sent with dillon reloading parts and a press was 400 bucks for a signature confirmation delivery. I believe it was 28 lbs iirc

I try and make sure my luggage doesnt scream "hunter from the USA"
No cool khaki canvas luggage or DSC logos. I had a partner on the tarmack a Vic Falls airport with a nice gun case receive a suggestion from one of the "helpers" that he knew he must have a nice gun in there and if he tipped him he would make sure it would make the plane safely.
I put my takedown rifle case in a top load black worn out duffle. I do put a lock in the grommets of the duffle and a luggage strap around the middle so it doesn't blouse out too much. I figure it might be easier for them to profile someone else so they overlook my bag for yours. In Africa they learn which bags have the higher probability of contains the good stuff in them from the guys going on their first safari.
Ship your rifles with out scopes. I mentioned it before on this site. At Jo'berg they will break into your box and steal them. A mate of mine who is a PH in Namibia has had a number of cliens going via Jo'berg, had scopes stolen in transit. He had one guy who had his scoped removed by hacksaw, even though he had quick release mounts fitted.Not only did he lose his scopes , but his rifles had damage to them.
They damaged my case so badly with what looks like hamer blows.It had a hole in one end, and you could see the rifles.
You will have to check the zero of your rifle with your PH before you hunt, so if you have quick release mounts fitted it will make life easy for you.
Some seem to think that the TSA won't allow you to cary a scope in hand luggage. Having never had dealings with the TSA ,I carn't say, however I have travelled a lot with rifles and never had a problem taking scopes in hand luggage. When asked what it is , I just say its a telescope and leave it that.
It is worth giving the scum a "tip", as much as it greaves me, but I would rather give the b@std's $50.00 and get my box through with out damage.
I was turned away at the New Zealand Air counter because my carry on luggage was too heavy. It was loaded with binoculars, spotting scope, rangefinder, movie and still camera, etc. I was required to move some of the equipment into my checked luggage bag. Kiwis are great people, no issues traveling there.

Had my scoped adjusted to hit 12" high at 100m. Missed the entire target but found two fresh holes just above. No doubt someone cranked my elevation for me.
I'm using the outfitter's rifles, so I'm not taking one. Just concerned about the stuff in the suitcase. Valuables will go on board with me.
Boise, same thing has happened with me but the other way around on hunting trips to NZ, even had to take a set of shock absorbers as hand luggage!
got on well with the Kiwis.

JG, if its just your clothes , boots etc , then I wouldn't worry too much. They want stuff they can sell for beer or an AIDS ridden hooker.
If any thing does go missing then it should be fairly easy to replace just don't pack anything checked if its somthing you carn't do with out or has great value to you.
Just enjoy your trip and don't worry too much. Its targets like gun boxes, camera flight cases or posh looking luggage that the baboons go for!
Have a really great trip and take loads of photos!
Cheers,
Paul.
That last one sums it up. All optics in carry on, along with a change of clothes. Rx's, toothbrush etc. I carry a wash cloth on so that I can wash up at the end of the flight.

Lock checked baggage. For others that check firearms, use a super heavy duty case. I've used a Kalispel for 20 years with a Master lock with success.
Not taking a rifle.
You can make this trip with only a carry on.
yes to what Jensen says...I was planning to use a rifle from the PH,,,so I just took a carry-on bag plus a small bag with binocs and a small camera....the PH took one look at my bags and asked where was the rest of my stuff. I told him, after 22 years in the military and 4 deployments to Afghanistan...I know how to travel light.
Originally Posted by blaser_guy
I try and make sure my luggage doesnt scream "hunter from the USA"
No cool khaki canvas luggage or DSC logos. I had a partner on the tarmack a Vic Falls airport with a nice gun case receive a suggestion from one of the "helpers" that he knew he must have a nice gun in there and if he tipped him he would make sure it would make the plane safely.
I put my takedown rifle case in a top load black worn out duffle. I do put a lock in the grommets of the duffle and a luggage strap around the middle so it doesn't blouse out too much. I figure it might be easier for them to profile someone else so they overlook my bag for yours. In Africa they learn which bags have the higher probability of contains the good stuff in them from the guys going on their first safari.

I totally agree with this post and the one above that stated you can do the hunt with a carry on. I would NOT take a bunch of stuff and if you do...don't be obvious about it. It always cracks me up on the flight to Joberg how many new hunters are wearing brand new khaki, camo, bush jackets and hats...etc. You are just asking for it. Fit in and things will be better.
Three years ago, while traveling through J'Burg, my wife and I were forced to check a bag that we had planned to carry on.

Lo and behold, by the time we arrived in Zimbabwe, our camera had been taken from our bag.

We went to the local police and filed a report, but only got one half the value from our insurance when we got home. Had we not filed the report, we would have not have received anything.

donsm70
I guess my son and I must be the two luckiest guys in the world. In two trips through Joberg, we haven't had a single thing broken into or rummaged through. Course that was in 2008 and 2011, don't know about now.

maddog
Originally Posted by maddog
I guess my son and I must be the two luckiest guys in the world. In two trips through Joberg, we haven't had a single thing broken into or rummaged through. Course that was in 2008 and 2011, don't know about now.

maddog

If you went through in August 2011, it was most likley that the baboons were too busy breaking in to my gun box and never had time todo yours.....just the luck of the draw.
I have heard they mark the gun boxes and other luggage with chalk when they go through the scanner for onward flights as to whats worth targeting. I think transfer baggage is a big target as well as stuff going out, more than stuff coming in (although this does get hit), they have more time with onward baggage, and its not reported in SA, as you don't know about it until you get to your destination.

I've spent almost half my life traveling back and forth to RSA. Many years I have made several trips. I brought in all sorts of things for co workers, friends, and for staff and gifts. I have way over packed which included cardboard boxes taped closed. Gun cases, Aluminum bow cases, duffle bags, hard sided cases.

Since 2002 nothing could be locked ( so they told us) which meant at least early on ordinary luggage was not locked. We now know different that we can lock our luggage with the proper procedure.

In all these trips and all the routes I have taken, including SFO, to AUS, to Cape Town, and most known connections through Europe plus SAA and Delta. I have never had anything taken from me. Nothing Stolen, nothing missing, not a single complaint. Based on my experience it's as safe as possible to get your things. I know that is not true, just an example of my experience.

Now .........traveling within the USA, I have had my luggage tampered with by TSA many times, twice they cut my locks off my luggage and just jammed my guns back into the case where the knurled nob on the end of my bolt wore a spot through the front edge of my aluminum case almost clean thorough the side The scope from one rifle was rubbing against the action of another rifle and it too was nearly damaged from the wear and friction. How could they simply jam things in this way?

I've watched them repack "tuffpack" gun cases the same way, Often having things that don't fit back in because the owner took the time to fold and fit everything like a puzzle. The TSA folks dump and stuff. I've seen this several times, and I have had clients show up in stunned amazement at how they just crammed everything back in.

I've asked the TSA folks about this. They reply, " we have hundreds of bags to screen and they have to make the flight. We can pack them quick the best we can, or we can be careful and slow and they miss the flight. Which do you prefer"

So at least from my experience, the theft although possible in Joburg has been less threatening to me then the damage potential TSA has caused.
Both times, we overnited in JHB at Afton. We collected our guns/luggage. In the 2011, we rechecked everything back in for our trip to Zim. You may be right about the transfers.

maddog
Paul i went through Joberg in September in 2011.

And the Luggage pickup area for our airline flight looked like it was hit with a bomb when our luggage came out.

As i have said on other forums hard sided suit cases were wide open and you could see they were gone through. Soft cases that were shrunk wrapped were gone into as the side pouches were open and empty. The Plastic wrap other suggest using was flapping in the breeze and did not stop any one. it did not make any difference if it was a big case or a small case hard sided or soft sided it someone wanted into your bag it happen. Or if they had lock or not as locks were snipped or the zipper snipped, if an item was found in your bag that they wanted it was there's.

Our TSA has gone through every one of my bags on every trip to Africa and put there card that my bag was the lucky one for being selected to be checked. MY ammo has been weight in the USA and South Africa and inspected in South Africa to see it it matched my rifle.
2 trips to joberg 2007 and 2008 packed carefully carried my scopes and binocs used very good case for guns same rifle and shotgun both times. Did the correct pre trip prep via JJ and Pieter and had 2 trouble free trips.
Does it help if you book with Gracey Travel? They have special flourescent luggage tags and a full-time employee at JNB who meets you as you get off the plane.
Since I'm not taking any guns, I'm going to try my best to make my trip with a carry-on and a small daypack, which Delta says is fine. With daily laundry I think it can be done, then I won't have to worry about it.
Id say yes. Just having someone there who knows the ropes can help you maintain posession...otherwise you may not make it to the sidewalk and you shuttle with all your stuff...
Oh come on. It's not that bad. Stuff gets stolen everywhere and crime (quoting our national police commissioner), yes crime is now at an acceptable level.

There are many places where if you turn your back you just lost your camera.

Have some savvy and do not trust every Tom Dick and Harry offering you services. If you spend the night in Joburg the guest house will have someone pick you up. If your rifles are pre-cleared it's an in and an out.

Has anyone seen my mouse pad, I had it here a moment ago darn
I have wanted to go here for a long time, but it sure sounds like a lot of hassle...
I have flown through Joberg around 8 Times. I NEVER had a problem with my stuff. First trip through was 2004, last was 2012. No tampering, or missing stuff. I watched that I packed my valuables with my person, but knives and such stayed in the bags. Part of the trips through were with guns part without. So some stuff had to stay in soft bags. I even had bags "lost" overnight in between Harare, Zimbabwe and London, which were somewhere in Joberg.

Joberg in recent years has really stepped up there policing of checked bags and thefts, and has shut down a couple of theft rings.
Originally Posted by Boise
I was turned away at the New Zealand Air counter because my carry on luggage was too heavy. It was loaded with binoculars, spotting scope, rangefinder, movie and still camera, etc. I was required to move some of the equipment into my checked luggage bag. Kiwis are great people, no issues traveling there.

Had my scoped adjusted to hit 12" high at 100m. Missed the entire target but found two fresh holes just above. No doubt someone cranked my elevation for me.

You didn't have a locked gun case? That is pretty stupid if you didn't and not normally even allowed. I haven't had any troubles with scopes getting bumped. I use Pelican cases and they are awesome.
Glad to hear that, I've got a new pelican case I'm planning on using next year.
I've been through the Joburg airport at least 14 times since 1993 and have yet to encounter any problem, but admittedly haven't done it since 2008.

I'm going in May and, like JGRaider (who started this thread) am not taking any guns of my own this time. I'll just be taking a carry-on with three changes of clothes and a daypack with my cameras, binoculars, etc.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Shipping anything into RSA is the same as kissing it goodbye....

As is true of Namibia, at least on the one occasion I did it.
Originally Posted by sierrabravo45
Originally Posted by Boise

You didn't have a locked gun case? That is pretty stupid if you didn't and not normally even allowed. I haven't had any troubles with scopes getting bumped. I use Pelican cases and they are awesome.

Yes I had a locked gun case, an SKB single rifle case, but the locks are not so great, I believe one key fits all of their locks. My scope wasn't 'bumped' it had to be adjusted, no way is it going to be bumped exactly vertical.
MD, what are your hunt dates?
I'm leaving May 18th and ariiving home the 26th.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'm leaving May 18th and ariiving home the 26th.

You must be going to hunt fast and furious. I'm leaving June 5 and returning back on June 26, Plaines game plus buff.
Well, fast and furious in a way. I'm only hunting birds--which is what I've been wanting to do for a while now.

Have been to Africa a number of times and always regretted not being able to hunt birds until the kudu or buffalo or whatever big game was dead. Consequently have gotten only relatively brief tastes of bird hunting, though some have been excellent, such as sand grouse in Namibia, francolin along the Limpopo in RSA, and guinea fowl for the pot in several countries.

But this time I'll be able to shoot (and eat) as many African gamebirds as possible, without obessing over some damn horns.
Are you doing one of those culinary/wine tasting/ bird hunting from a train things?
No, we're going to a ranch in the Free State where they evidently have just about all the available gamebirds in that part of Africa.
cool
Let's have a report when you return. Sounds like fun.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've been through the Joburg airport at least 14 times since 1993 and have yet to encounter any problem, but admittedly haven't done it since 2008.

I'm going in May and, like JGRaider (who started this thread) am not taking any guns of my own this time. I'll just be taking a carry-on with three changes of clothes and a daypack with my cameras, binoculars, etc.

That is the key. I was there last summer for the first visit in about 5 years.

RSA is becoming more "Africanized", with the attending increased corruption and loose control on the workers with little fear of discipline or authority. What was once a safe and ordered place now looks more like the rest of Africa.
© 24hourcampfire