Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Ok, another question of the day from a newbie. I've been reading on another forum about the scumbags in the J'burg airport that feel free to rummage through your bags before you get them. Any of you guys experienced this? If so, what do you do about it?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JG

Joberg does have issues.

From what i have seen bags that are easy targets are:
Luggage with side pouches...weather wrapped in plastic wrap or not were opened.

Hard sided suitcases were broken open and clothing all over the place.

soft sided cases or bags that had there zippers popped open.

What i Take:

I have a bag that is a partial hard and soft case. the zippers are over covered and bound on both side by straps and the zippers lock with a small lock. The straps were lose on one side one time however the bag was not broken into. You have to open all the straps for the flap over the zipper to be raised.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I also use the take-down model for when traveling without firearms. Makes it a little harder for the baggage monkeys to pilfer.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Don't have anything valuable in your checked bag ...bino's camera etc should be with you in your carry on

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Don't have anything valuable in your checked bag ...bino's camera etc should be with you in your carry on

^^^^^^^^^
That. For sure.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
would you be any better off if you shipped your stuff via FedEx or UPS, direct to your destination?

Sam......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Shipping anything into RSA is the same as kissing it goodbye....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
a shot in the dark. lol Should have known the answer.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Auto luggage handling at the Jo'berg airport was down the one time and I waited two days for my luggage. When it arrived at the farm outside of Windhoek every one of my snacks were gone - figured the boys got hungry. Everything else was there other than the food.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had roughly 50% of the mail sent to RSA vanish. I've had 100% of the packages mailed within RSA vanish. With normal post.

I've had 100% of the postcards within RSA and sent out of RSA delivered.

By this measure, only ups, dhl, and Fedx will work. However a simple padded Fedx envelope about 2 pounds was 128.00 one week delivery, not guaranteed.

A box sent with dillon reloading parts and a press was 400 bucks for a signature confirmation delivery. I believe it was 28 lbs iirc

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I try and make sure my luggage doesnt scream "hunter from the USA"
No cool khaki canvas luggage or DSC logos. I had a partner on the tarmack a Vic Falls airport with a nice gun case receive a suggestion from one of the "helpers" that he knew he must have a nice gun in there and if he tipped him he would make sure it would make the plane safely.
I put my takedown rifle case in a top load black worn out duffle. I do put a lock in the grommets of the duffle and a luggage strap around the middle so it doesn't blouse out too much. I figure it might be easier for them to profile someone else so they overlook my bag for yours. In Africa they learn which bags have the higher probability of contains the good stuff in them from the guys going on their first safari.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Ship your rifles with out scopes. I mentioned it before on this site. At Jo'berg they will break into your box and steal them. A mate of mine who is a PH in Namibia has had a number of cliens going via Jo'berg, had scopes stolen in transit. He had one guy who had his scoped removed by hacksaw, even though he had quick release mounts fitted.Not only did he lose his scopes , but his rifles had damage to them.
They damaged my case so badly with what looks like hamer blows.It had a hole in one end, and you could see the rifles.
You will have to check the zero of your rifle with your PH before you hunt, so if you have quick release mounts fitted it will make life easy for you.
Some seem to think that the TSA won't allow you to cary a scope in hand luggage. Having never had dealings with the TSA ,I carn't say, however I have travelled a lot with rifles and never had a problem taking scopes in hand luggage. When asked what it is , I just say its a telescope and leave it that.
It is worth giving the scum a "tip", as much as it greaves me, but I would rather give the bstd's $50.00 and get my box through with out damage.

Last edited by paul375; 03/11/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was turned away at the New Zealand Air counter because my carry on luggage was too heavy. It was loaded with binoculars, spotting scope, rangefinder, movie and still camera, etc. I was required to move some of the equipment into my checked luggage bag. Kiwis are great people, no issues traveling there.

Had my scoped adjusted to hit 12" high at 100m. Missed the entire target but found two fresh holes just above. No doubt someone cranked my elevation for me.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm using the outfitter's rifles, so I'm not taking one. Just concerned about the stuff in the suitcase. Valuables will go on board with me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Boise, same thing has happened with me but the other way around on hunting trips to NZ, even had to take a set of shock absorbers as hand luggage!
got on well with the Kiwis.

JG, if its just your clothes , boots etc , then I wouldn't worry too much. They want stuff they can sell for beer or an AIDS ridden hooker.
If any thing does go missing then it should be fairly easy to replace just don't pack anything checked if its somthing you carn't do with out or has great value to you.
Just enjoy your trip and don't worry too much. Its targets like gun boxes, camera flight cases or posh looking luggage that the baboons go for!
Have a really great trip and take loads of photos!
Cheers,
Paul.

Last edited by paul375; 03/11/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That last one sums it up. All optics in carry on, along with a change of clothes. Rx's, toothbrush etc. I carry a wash cloth on so that I can wash up at the end of the flight.

Lock checked baggage. For others that check firearms, use a super heavy duty case. I've used a Kalispel for 20 years with a Master lock with success.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Not taking a rifle.
You can make this trip with only a carry on.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
yes to what Jensen says...I was planning to use a rifle from the PH,,,so I just took a carry-on bag plus a small bag with binocs and a small camera....the PH took one look at my bags and asked where was the rest of my stuff. I told him, after 22 years in the military and 4 deployments to Afghanistan...I know how to travel light.

Have Gun, Will Travel. The more dust on the trail, the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA & VFW & Six Napoleons
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by blaser_guy
I try and make sure my luggage doesnt scream "hunter from the USA"
No cool khaki canvas luggage or DSC logos. I had a partner on the tarmack a Vic Falls airport with a nice gun case receive a suggestion from one of the "helpers" that he knew he must have a nice gun in there and if he tipped him he would make sure it would make the plane safely.
I put my takedown rifle case in a top load black worn out duffle. I do put a lock in the grommets of the duffle and a luggage strap around the middle so it doesn't blouse out too much. I figure it might be easier for them to profile someone else so they overlook my bag for yours. In Africa they learn which bags have the higher probability of contains the good stuff in them from the guys going on their first safari.

I totally agree with this post and the one above that stated you can do the hunt with a carry on. I would NOT take a bunch of stuff and if you do...don't be obvious about it. It always cracks me up on the flight to Joberg how many new hunters are wearing brand new khaki, camo, bush jackets and hats...etc. You are just asking for it. Fit in and things will be better.

Hunting For Adventure
Tom Addleman (816) 213-6646
[email protected]
To book your next great hunting adventure - www.huntingforadventure.com
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Three years ago, while traveling through J'Burg, my wife and I were forced to check a bag that we had planned to carry on.

Lo and behold, by the time we arrived in Zimbabwe, our camera had been taken from our bag.

We went to the local police and filed a report, but only got one half the value from our insurance when we got home. Had we not filed the report, we would have not have received anything.

donsm70

Last edited by donsm70; 03/13/13.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 204guy, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,600
Posts18,492,235
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.