Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I guess my son and I must be the two luckiest guys in the world. In two trips through Joberg, we haven't had a single thing broken into or rummaged through. Course that was in 2008 and 2011, don't know about now.

maddog

GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by maddog
I guess my son and I must be the two luckiest guys in the world. In two trips through Joberg, we haven't had a single thing broken into or rummaged through. Course that was in 2008 and 2011, don't know about now.

maddog

If you went through in August 2011, it was most likley that the baboons were too busy breaking in to my gun box and never had time todo yours.....just the luck of the draw.
I have heard they mark the gun boxes and other luggage with chalk when they go through the scanner for onward flights as to whats worth targeting. I think transfer baggage is a big target as well as stuff going out, more than stuff coming in (although this does get hit), they have more time with onward baggage, and its not reported in SA, as you don't know about it until you get to your destination.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've spent almost half my life traveling back and forth to RSA. Many years I have made several trips. I brought in all sorts of things for co workers, friends, and for staff and gifts. I have way over packed which included cardboard boxes taped closed. Gun cases, Aluminum bow cases, duffle bags, hard sided cases.

Since 2002 nothing could be locked ( so they told us) which meant at least early on ordinary luggage was not locked. We now know different that we can lock our luggage with the proper procedure.

In all these trips and all the routes I have taken, including SFO, to AUS, to Cape Town, and most known connections through Europe plus SAA and Delta. I have never had anything taken from me. Nothing Stolen, nothing missing, not a single complaint. Based on my experience it's as safe as possible to get your things. I know that is not true, just an example of my experience.

Now .........traveling within the USA, I have had my luggage tampered with by TSA many times, twice they cut my locks off my luggage and just jammed my guns back into the case where the knurled nob on the end of my bolt wore a spot through the front edge of my aluminum case almost clean thorough the side The scope from one rifle was rubbing against the action of another rifle and it too was nearly damaged from the wear and friction. How could they simply jam things in this way?

I've watched them repack "tuffpack" gun cases the same way, Often having things that don't fit back in because the owner took the time to fold and fit everything like a puzzle. The TSA folks dump and stuff. I've seen this several times, and I have had clients show up in stunned amazement at how they just crammed everything back in.

I've asked the TSA folks about this. They reply, " we have hundreds of bags to screen and they have to make the flight. We can pack them quick the best we can, or we can be careful and slow and they miss the flight. Which do you prefer"

So at least from my experience, the theft although possible in Joburg has been less threatening to me then the damage potential TSA has caused.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Both times, we overnited in JHB at Afton. We collected our guns/luggage. In the 2011, we rechecked everything back in for our trip to Zim. You may be right about the transfers.

maddog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Paul i went through Joberg in September in 2011.

And the Luggage pickup area for our airline flight looked like it was hit with a bomb when our luggage came out.

As i have said on other forums hard sided suit cases were wide open and you could see they were gone through. Soft cases that were shrunk wrapped were gone into as the side pouches were open and empty. The Plastic wrap other suggest using was flapping in the breeze and did not stop any one. it did not make any difference if it was a big case or a small case hard sided or soft sided it someone wanted into your bag it happen. Or if they had lock or not as locks were snipped or the zipper snipped, if an item was found in your bag that they wanted it was there's.

Our TSA has gone through every one of my bags on every trip to Africa and put there card that my bag was the lucky one for being selected to be checked. MY ammo has been weight in the USA and South Africa and inspected in South Africa to see it it matched my rifle.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
2 trips to joberg 2007 and 2008 packed carefully carried my scopes and binocs used very good case for guns same rifle and shotgun both times. Did the correct pre trip prep via JJ and Pieter and had 2 trouble free trips.

MOLON LABE
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Does it help if you book with Gracey Travel? They have special flourescent luggage tags and a full-time employee at JNB who meets you as you get off the plane.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Since I'm not taking any guns, I'm going to try my best to make my trip with a carry-on and a small daypack, which Delta says is fine. With daily laundry I think it can be done, then I won't have to worry about it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Id say yes. Just having someone there who knows the ropes can help you maintain posession...otherwise you may not make it to the sidewalk and you shuttle with all your stuff...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh come on. It's not that bad. Stuff gets stolen everywhere and crime (quoting our national police commissioner), yes crime is now at an acceptable level.

There are many places where if you turn your back you just lost your camera.

Have some savvy and do not trust every Tom Dick and Harry offering you services. If you spend the night in Joburg the guest house will have someone pick you up. If your rifles are pre-cleared it's an in and an out.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has anyone seen my mouse pad, I had it here a moment ago darn

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have wanted to go here for a long time, but it sure sounds like a lot of hassle...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have flown through Joberg around 8 Times. I NEVER had a problem with my stuff. First trip through was 2004, last was 2012. No tampering, or missing stuff. I watched that I packed my valuables with my person, but knives and such stayed in the bags. Part of the trips through were with guns part without. So some stuff had to stay in soft bags. I even had bags "lost" overnight in between Harare, Zimbabwe and London, which were somewhere in Joberg.

Joberg in recent years has really stepped up there policing of checked bags and thefts, and has shut down a couple of theft rings.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Boise
I was turned away at the New Zealand Air counter because my carry on luggage was too heavy. It was loaded with binoculars, spotting scope, rangefinder, movie and still camera, etc. I was required to move some of the equipment into my checked luggage bag. Kiwis are great people, no issues traveling there.

Had my scoped adjusted to hit 12" high at 100m. Missed the entire target but found two fresh holes just above. No doubt someone cranked my elevation for me.

You didn't have a locked gun case? That is pretty stupid if you didn't and not normally even allowed. I haven't had any troubles with scopes getting bumped. I use Pelican cases and they are awesome.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Glad to hear that, I've got a new pelican case I'm planning on using next year.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've been through the Joburg airport at least 14 times since 1993 and have yet to encounter any problem, but admittedly haven't done it since 2008.

I'm going in May and, like JGRaider (who started this thread) am not taking any guns of my own this time. I'll just be taking a carry-on with three changes of clothes and a daypack with my cameras, binoculars, etc.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Shipping anything into RSA is the same as kissing it goodbye....

As is true of Namibia, at least on the one occasion I did it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sierrabravo45
Originally Posted by Boise
I was turned away at the New Zealand Air counter because my carry on luggage was too heavy. It was loaded with binoculars, spotting scope, rangefinder, movie and still camera, etc. I was required to move some of the equipment into my checked luggage bag. Kiwis are great people, no issues traveling there.

Had my scoped adjusted to hit 12" high at 100m. Missed the entire target but found two fresh holes just above. No doubt someone cranked my elevation for me.

You didn't have a locked gun case? That is pretty stupid if you didn't and not normally even allowed. I haven't had any troubles with scopes getting bumped. I use Pelican cases and they are awesome.

Yes I had a locked gun case, an SKB single rifle case, but the locks are not so great, I believe one key fits all of their locks. My scope wasn't 'bumped' it had to be adjusted, no way is it going to be bumped exactly vertical.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
MD, what are your hunt dates?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm leaving May 18th and ariiving home the 26th.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (akrange, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 8 invisible), 1,591 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,910
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.