Home
I'm not a Kalashnikov fan, but the author does make some salient points in it's favor.

https://www.americanpartisan.org/2020/06/why-the-kalashnikov-makes-sense/

The world is looking pretty rough. And with it, many are waking up to the reality of their situation. There’s gonna be a lot more time spent on the shooting range than the driving range. AntiFa, John Brown Gun Club and other spoiled, drug-addled, self loathing white kids are threatening to hit the suburbs in the next volley of civil unrest and the summer is young. All signs point to this getting worse before it gets better. This could be one of those times the old-time survivalists may be saying “shouldn’t be living there in the first place” and while I agree, there’s always going to be those coming to the party late. That part is not important; what is more important however is understanding some of the realities of a community defense plan now versus learning the hard way later.

As much as we’d all love to have an army of battle hardened trigger pullers behind us, the reality is that there’s going to be a lot of minimally trained, scared, and in many cases over-motivated folks popping out of the woodwork. Its good to know they’re there, but without a feasible plan for implementing them, much of it is going to be for naught. Further, what about people who aren’t armed? How do you arm them? And this is why the Kalashnikov begins to make a lot of sense.

Reality #1. Simple Controls and Manual of Arms

The AK is a very simple weapon to master. The safety lever is large, the charging handle is large, and the magazine release can be operated either right or left handed. In my own experience, the learning curve is much shallower for people to learn in a short period of time than with other platforms, namely the AR. When you couple that with the fact that the AK is less prone to malfunctions and has a higher tolerance for neglect, it starts to shine.

Reality #2. The 7.62×39 is a Proven Man Killer.

The old AKM round was designed from the realities of combat on the Eastern Front. While many have derided the round for its poor ballistic coefficient and relatively short range when compared to newer intermediate cartridges, no one I know who’s ever shot anyone with it complained about its effectiveness. I saw first hand what the standard M43 FMJ load is capable of doing to both humans and civilian vehicles alike. And since Geneva is a place in Switzerland and not a set of rules I have to follow, the other AK loads out there begin to really showcase what it can do. Judging by the damage even soft points have done on deer and hogs, its a show stopper in short order and the wounds alone are a shock factor to any would-be leftist street (s)hit coming to steal what you’ve worked your whole life for. You see a man’s thoracic cavity disintegrate from three rounds of 8M3 you tend to stop doing whatever it was you were doing with him…or her…or it.

Reality #3. Ammo is Cheap To Stack Deep.

7.62×39 is cheap and plentiful- even in the current unrest and run on ammo that’s going on, you can find 1k round cases of it for under $300. The reality behind ammo is this- if I’m running a patrol with a team of bubbas and we get into trouble, we’re going to burn through a lot of ammo in a hurry. Inexperienced fighters, especially guerrillas, tend to shoot a lot more under duress. That 1k round case is going to go fast. And then where’s your ammo coming from?

Further, what about a training budget? You should never, ever put a weapon in the hands of someone you haven’t shot with in the past. This should be common sense, but it certainly is not debatable. You have to have a certain number of rounds for training both for initial familiarization, intermediate range marksmanship, and for continuous training to keep your skills sharp. In short, your ammo stash should be measured in the tens of thousands, not just buying a case a calling it good.

Reality #4. AK Irons Are Effective For Close Quarters Battle.

In this day and age, optics make marksmanship training quick and effective. With the plethora of good optics out there even on the inexpensive end, there’s no reason not to be running them. But that said, the AK’s design lends itself well to running without them, and for that matter, it may even be preferential for those with limited training to keep their weapons simple. Batteries in red dots die, optic mounts can break, etc, and the AK’s front sight-and-rear blade is plenty effective for making quick center-of-mass shots even to 100m.

A solid training exercise for using them is to staple paper plates on a target at 100m and have your people get used to engaging them. Ten rounds, 15 seconds. Get as many in the plate as possible. Add in another magazine with ten rounds, bump the time up to 30 seconds, do the same. Once they understand that the trigger reset is the key to a consistent trigger pull, which in turn creates consistency across the board, they’ll become much more accurate in a short amount of time. Accuracy equates effectiveness.

Bottom line?
While the AR-15 is, without a doubt, the top selling weapon in the US, and for a good reason, the AK is nipping at its heels in a lot of categories and has some advantages that shouldn’t be overlooked. I don’t really favor one over the other- for me they’re different tools for different roles, and much of my own weapon selection depends on what I’m doing and who I’m doing it with. For a hasty community defense, that’s normally going to be the AK. Its definitely not perfect, but it makes sense for a lot of reasons.
Waiting for our resident fan from TN to chime in.
Me too.

Does he have optics on his rifles? Would he rely on them?

Has he tried that old recipe ravioli yet?
Ive got no interest in a "real" AK, but I'd love to have a Valmet or a Galil ACE. Prices are just way to high for what they are though.
The AK? Keep the enemy so armed. Please.
Why is that Dan?

Its very interesting to me that you would say that.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Yep. I’d take a AR-15 or M-16 over an AK any old day. And twice on Sunday.

More accurate, flatter shooting, higher velocity, and much handier.
Big AK fan here.
I'd take an AK but only if they came with a knife sharpener on the back, like the other can openers have.
Its got that classic full auto sound.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

chilin,

did you read the article?

Basically makes the point that for it's intended purposes, in many cases it might be "better" than an AR.

Bottom line? While the AR-15 is, without a doubt, the top selling weapon in the US, and for a good reason, the AK is nipping at its heels in a lot of categories and has some advantages that shouldn’t be overlooked. I don’t really favor one over the other- for me they’re different tools for different roles, and much of my own weapon selection depends on what I’m doing and who I’m doing it with. For a hasty community defense, that’s normally going to be the AK. Its definitely not perfect, but it makes sense for a lot of reasons.
(my emphasis)

his points earlier in the article regarding manual of arms, inexpensive ammo, etc and effectiveness within a certain range make a lot of sense.

That "community defense" thing................seems to be working in the "stans" pretty good.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

chilin,

Basically makes the point that for it's intended purposes, in many cases it might be "better" than an AR.

Bottom line? While the AR-15 is, without a doubt, the top selling weapon in the US, and for a good reason, the AK is nipping at its heels in a lot of categories and has some advantages that shouldn’t be overlooked. I don’t really favor one over the other- for me they’re different tools for different roles, and much of my own weapon selection depends on what I’m doing and who I’m doing it with. For a hasty community defense, that’s normally going to be the AK. Its definitely not perfect, but it makes sense for a lot of reasons.
(my emphasis)

his points earlier in the article regarding manual of arms, inexpensive ammo, etc and effectiveness within a certain range make a lot of sense.

That "community defense" thing................seems to be working in the "stans" pretty good.

Yep. But I’d still take a AR over an AK.

chilin,

(my emphasis)

Yep. But I’d still take a AR over an AK.

given the financial resources................I'd not turn down both..................

or two ARs wink
I'd rather have a 30 carbine myself.
I've never understood the AR vs AK debate. I just bought both.

I still prefer the M1 Garand to either.
I've got some trigger-time with the AK. I think it is a sensible choice for a defense rifle.

For the average new shooter, I believe the AR-15 is easier to handle and make hits with. Mainly due to better sights, better trigger, and lower recoil.

To me, the strongest part of the article is ammo price/availability. I've added a few AR uppers in 7.62x39 for that reason. Wouldn't mind having an AK though, to go with that ammo.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Why is that Dan?

You'd know if you'd ever owned or shot one. The AK is a good gun but the AR is gooder.
The only reason that I don't have a couple of AK style is muscle memory in the dark adrenaline rush kind of thing. My AR's even have the same grips and hand grips as much as practical anyway. All those AK's do is work though.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I've got some trigger-time with the AK. I think it is a sensible choice for a defense rifle.

For the average new shooter, I believe the AR-15 is easier to handle and make hits with. Mainly due to better sights, better trigger, and lower recoil.

To me, the strongest part of the article is ammo price/availability. I've added a few AR uppers in 7.62x39 for that reason. Wouldn't mind having an AK though, to go with that ammo.

lolol You're just wanting to buy a new gun Shane. I can get into that too.

I've long thought that the AK 74 solves one of the "problems" of the 47 that you mention.
Why is the SKS always overlooked in these discussions? I believe they are a better built and less expensive option to distribute 7.62 projectiles.
[Linked Image from zimbabwevoice.com]
I carried one in Astan when all the Army saw fit to send me with was a 9mm. They're good, but not great. The bolt doesn't lock open after your last round, the only way you know you're dry is that it won't go bang. A load of ammo is heavier than the same load in 5.56. We all like to think we're superman, but cutting weight anywhere is good for the long game. The safety is a PIA, you need to remove your hand/finger from the pistol grip/trigger to flip it to safe. Consequently many of our local friends just carried hot, really hot...and ND's were rampant. While way easier to maintain and operate dirty, they're not magic, you still need to give them a little cleaning and maintenance. Plan on an aftermarket pistol grip at least, they're built for small hands. Regarding bullet damage, you don't want to get shot with anything, but I've heard and read docs say the faster 5.56 causes more trauma. But, if you need a cheap bullet hose, and some situations do, they're great for that.
It's so easy to operate even a [bleep] can use it...

Originally Posted by gregintenn
Why is the SKS always overlooked in these discussions? I believe they are a better built and less expensive option to distribute 7.62 projectiles.

The SKS seems more like a main battle rifle than an assault rifle to me. I like aimed fire better than spray and pray, but you don't want to be hit by any high velocity projectile regardless of where is came from or how is managed to intersect with your body.
I have used them in a war zone, taught classes w/ them, owned many and have sold them all. Decent rifles but not infallible. They were a good practical choice when they and their ammo were cheap if you just wanted a hi cap rifle for teotwawki. Most serious users prefer ARs .

YMMV

mike r
Seems ironical that a weapon conceived for cheap mass proletarian manufacture now generally costs more than a basic example of it's primary western competition. Economies of scale and entrepreneurial innovation have turned the tables. Capitalism wins again!
Laughing. Based on those salient points, a box of rocks is a good choice for self defense
AR has 2x effective range. AKM is more like a SMG on steroids than a rifle.
The article is fairly lame.

On the 'stacking' more ammo cheap, well 5.56 ammo was as cheap as hell for a long time, it's our service round. So I expect a lot to be around and found if needed.

Adding a couple of uppers/rifles in 7.62 for 'cheaper' ammo is akin to spending $40k that gets 40mpg over your current vehicle that gets 25mpg.

The money spent on other [bleep] could go straight towards the [bleep] you already own. If the day comes that 7.62x39 is our service round, I don't want to be around. Besides, you'd be in some prison and your gals would have been raped and bred
Why is that Dan?

Hundreds, maybe thousands of wankers tried to kill me with the AK and failed miserably. Doesn't mean they didn't connect now and again but end of the day they died and I didn't. I don't think they could'a hit a barn from the inside on purpose.

Put another way, they are heavy, generally lack precision and the AR or M-something is a better platform all the way around. And I can tote more loaded mags than an AK user.
Originally Posted by RemModel8
....Adding a couple of uppers/rifles in 7.62 for 'cheaper' ammo is akin to spending $40k that gets 40mpg over your current vehicle that gets 25mpg....

$40K??!!..........I picked up my uppers for under $300 each at PSA.

Used both.
Training and Real.
Either or in the right hands will kill.
I will probably get an A2 someday.
Either a windham or a stag.
AR,s kinda bore me.
"Built" a pretty good iron sighted M4 clone about 5 yrs ago.
Grew bored with it , sent it down the road.

Earned a living with one from A1,s A2,s and M4,s for a looooong time.
Funny thing is I find myself at ranges out shooting guys with AR,s frequently.
But I also help out alot of guys at ranges with AR and AK platforms.
In my nature to not condone fugged up stuff and help to improve people,s shooting.
Haven't had anyone go away not improving yet or insulted or mad.
Tactful approach to people .
Teach , coach , mentor.
Most of us are on the same side as firearm owners anyways.

Finally a chance to use these 2 pics
LOL!!!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I’ve got both. I’ll acknowledge that the AR is superior in most ways. That said, I find the AR to be soulless.
This is a Type 3 AK47
Bulgarian Arsenal SLR 100H receiver with a Hungarian AK 55 mil barrel and train.
Rare and desirable gun.
I have posted about it alot on here.

It's very accurate and reliable.
Aint had a hiccup yet in almost 3k rounds.
Keep it clean.
OCD about any guns cleaning.

I basically aquired it in trade for 275 bucks from a Walther G43 8mm I purchased.
Made several post about that rifle on here also.
Firm beleiver in pics or it never happened.
LOL!!!!

5 major planets lined up for me that day at the gunshow.
People were trying to gang bang my azz with various deals when I hit the floor with that G43.
Didnt even get in a 1/4th loop.
Just told the people I wanna check out the entire floor before I think deals being offered
Some where ridiculous
Some where GTG.

Made it around the show
People asking this that and the other.
Seen a dude had a Type 3 at a back table
I knew what it was big time.
Casually looked at it.
finished my loop.
Seen what needed to be seen .
Heard offers.

Went back to the guy.

Talked, broke down the G43 showed him all the matching #,s.
told him I was going out to smoke a cigg and for him to get on his smart phone and research the G43.
I broke down the AK at the same time.
Dude said it came outta a collection and had a 30 rd put thru it. Cleaned and stored.
I 100% confirmed that condition on my inspection of it.
Drew a small crowd of attendees and a couple of guys that made offers.
Dude cleared off a section of his table so I could break both wpns down to detailed level ( not just field stripped) for inspection.

Told him their was at least 600 meat on the bone with the G43 in the trade, he was asking 900 IIRC for the SLR 100H.

Dude was waiting at the entrance for me when I came back in.

Buncha people watched me when I walked out to go smoke.
Buncha people watched me and him walk away after the trade.

If I named my AK .
it would be Natasha.
Even though she has 3 fingers and sorta a unibow.
I would pin her feet up by her ears, make her look like the trix rabbit and deep stroke the fugg outta her hard .....

LOL!!!!

Nice! ^^^ I see a milled receiver there too.
Originally Posted by hookeye
[Linked Image from zimbabwevoice.com]

Thats a bytching chinese type 3 56 dude has right their.
Spike bayo intact also.
Got some mod welded on for the bolt carrier handle.
Looks like a dirty bakelite mag he has in it.
Little mineral spirits make that mag pop again.
That rifle would fetch 15 to 25k at least to a type 3 holder here in the states depending on its wear.

Dime a dozen in the 3rd world......
Nice! ^^^ I see a milled receiver there too.

Hot hammer forged from the circle 10 factory.
4 companies made 922r here in the states
Intrac imported from knoxville.
Intrac mutated into arsenal houston with another company.

Then arsenal Usa
Then arsenal lasvegas

Not a arsenal las vegas or arsensl usa imported 80% one.
With milling done here in the states.

The arsenal guns milled and stamped and final assembled here in the US are excellent rifles also.

Their is a member on here who sent me pics of an akm.
He was thinking of getting for 600ish earlier this spring.
He knew it was An Arsenal/ Saiga variant of some sort.

Sent me pics .
Bout schit my pants when I started looking at em.
Arsenal Sgl 21/ak 103.
Told him to take off the scope rail and take pics under it of the marks.
Unbelievable......

Generation 1 Arsenal SGL 21 Legion made in Russia at the Izhvesk factory.

Imported in 08 09ish to get around some contract loop holes Arsenal had with arsenal Usa.
Rory is the resident AK guru. He’s forgotten more about them than most people know. He’s walked me through one before.
In today’s world there’s a good case for both or either the AR and the AK.
Why is that Dan?

Hundreds, maybe thousands of wankers tried to kill me with the AK and failed miserably. Doesn't mean they didn't connect now and again but end of the day they died and I didn't. I don't think they could'a hit a barn from the inside on purpose.

Put another way, they are heavy, generally lack precision and the AR or M-something is a better platform all the way around. And I can tote more loaded mags than an AK user.

Thanks.

Yeah, the load weight would be a factor for sure.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Not sure if that's real or not, but it's hysterical.
Why is that Dan?

Thanks.

Yeah, the load weight would be a factor for sure.

DD
I respect the fugg outta ya man.
And I have had alot of close calls also from our enemy,s wpns.

God looking out for us sorta thing.

You gotta admit sky6 was looking out for ya that one day you posted about.

Hovering in a clearing and that bucket head dumped a 30 rd mag in front of the nose of your bird like he was leading a moving bird.

Dude was incredibly stupid
or
Dude didnt wanta kill you for some reason and you rotated and greased his dumb azz!!!
LMFAO!!!

I woulda done the same fughing thing.
Whacked his stupid azz either fugging way.

LOL!!!
Ak variants have always had something about them that resonates that it isn’t there with an AR to me. Going in to a battle I’d take the AR all day. I think an AKM pattern rifle makes sense in Africa with extremely poorly trained people in both firearm care and battlefield tactics. A dusty environment with fighting being at or near bayonet range often against people unarmed or with about zero tactical knowledge.

For someone with basic firearm skills and fighting in a cleaner more urban environment, with basic maintenance/lubrication knowledge, AR’s are cheaper, slap a 1/2 way decent red dot on an AR and most anyone can quickly learn to make hits at ranges a lot faster with an AR.

You can buy a lower end but decent AR and a case of ammo for the same price or less than a typical AKM. A fully modern kitted out AK-74M with optics is probably on par with an AR but by the time that you get into a rifle like that you’ve got bigger money into it and it probably isn’t a rank novice that owns it. A S&W M&P II or similar with a decent red dot is going to be a lot cheaper and something that you can buy anywhere and buy ammo for anywhere. The AR is easier to hit with and cheaper than an old AKM and at least as easy to hit with and a whole lot cheaper and easier to come by then a fully updated AK-74M

Kalashnikov claimed he designed the AK so a fuggin monkey could field strip it.

I’m surprised YouTube hasn’t taken that video down yet.

Dat’s Racist, ya know. 😜
I like the AR platform better simply for the versatility aspect but for close in point shooting an AK will serve me well.
I have no use for an A-gay.

But they are a cool piece of history.

MM, exactly. It's our kind of diversity.
Buy American!
I could never understand why someone would prefer an AK over an AR. AR reliability is no big deal. In shooting matches I have fired more than 10,000 rounds through an AR with not one malfunction or failure to fire. Cleaning is a breeze. In over-the-course matches, held at 200, 300, and 600 yards, ARs beat M1As.

You can also get all kinds of aftermarket stuff with an AR, and uppers for many different calibers. And they're cheaper and lighter than AKs.

At a gun show ten years ago I was told that there were 62 manufacturers of AR15s in the United States.
I have both AR and AK, always keep one that shoots the enemies rounds!
I figure that if, in the context of civil unrest, the differences between an AK and an AR become relevant, then things will have prob'ly gone so far down tubes that it don't much matter what you're using.
Any love for the VZ58? Neither fish nor fowl... but a damn fine rifle IMO.
Originally Posted by haverluk
Any love for the VZ58? Neither fish nor fowl... but a damn fine rifle IMO.

Wish alantic firearms would get the chezch small arms ones back in stock.
They got german lothar (IIRC) CL barrels.

We trashed a schitload of chezch ones in Karbala.
Bout 150 175 of em found in one of the fortified school house compunds.
Lay em in the streets slanted on the curb let M1,s run over em.

Had a nice folder that sat on my lap on my 1st tour. Very compact; my A2 w/optics was in the vehicle rack. I picked up several from my interpreter and had one for each of my Humvee turret gunners for close-in work. Crude weapons but they usually worked, without much care. Would I own one now? No.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by RGK
Had a nice folder that sat in my lap on my 1st tour. Very compact; my A2 w/optics was in the vehicle rack. I picked up several from my interpreter and had one for each of my Humvee turret gunners for close-in work. Crude weapons but they usually worked, without much care. Would I own one now? No.
Bob

You still got that 40 rd mag???
Circle 10 one it looks like.

Carried this Bulgarian Rpk for 3 weeks x 2 a day patrols
Left the M4 at the compound.
Stuffed 4 extra 40rd and 3 30 rd mags in a sling bag
Kept my 5.56 mags in pouches if needed by others.
Wish I had kept the slabside mag in pic and put it in a b bag for the conex trip home......
Evans 240 gunner carried the pimped out Krink slung over his back.

Civil affairs weenies dailed us in to Brigade.
Seen us on patrol somewhere in Mosul....
Fugging care bear fugga,s.....

Both in 502nd IN trophy case.

Haji didnt like the Rpk being carried by me 1 bit.
Got to lay down suppressive fire with it a couple times.
Bout it.

I'd say an AK is great for fighting battles in the dirt. They are reliable, tough and simple. However I'm not fighting any wars and don't need what an AK has to offer.

AR's are more accurate and perform very well for my needs which are mostly 3 gun and rifle matches. As long as they are kept reasonably clean and lubricated, AR's work great and I will stick with them.
We have one up at our remote cabin for dispatching beavers and other targets of opportunity. It is fairly accurate, fun to shoot and seems to get the job done.
Originally Posted by renegade50

Used both.
Training and Real.
Either or in the right hands will kill.
I will probably get an A2 someday.
Either a windham or a stag.
AR,s kinda bore me.
"Built" a pretty good iron sighted M4 clone about 5 yrs ago.
Grew bored with it , sent it down the road.

Earned a living with one from A1,s A2,s and M4,s for a looooong time.
Funny thing is I find myself at ranges out shooting guys with AR,s frequently.
But I also help out alot of guys at ranges with AR and AK platforms.
In my nature to not condone fugged up stuff and help to improve people,s shooting.
Haven't had anyone go away not improving yet or insulted or mad.
Tactful approach to people .
Teach , coach , mentor.
Most of us are on the same side as firearm owners anyways.

Finally a chance to use these 2 pics
LOL!!!

Thanks for that R50! Great memes.

Kalashnikov claimed he designed the AK so a fuggin monkey could field strip it.

I’m surprised YouTube hasn’t taken that video down yet.

Dat’s Racist, ya know. 😜

He copied it from the Germans.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I figure that if, in the context of civil unrest, the differences between an AK and an AR become relevant, then things will have prob'ly gone so far down tubes that it don't much matter what you're using.

Pretty much it.
You’d be glad to have either or both accessible.
I honestly dont have an aversion to using foriegn wpns.
Shot alot of em on planet, not just sovbloc stuff.
Alot of nato platforms in germany from 86 to 88.
And my 1st tour in korea 89 to 90.
Part of the job was foriegn wpns training with allies and enemy wpns.
Always enjoyed foriegn wpns training and paid attention.
Didnt blow schitt off like many did during training like that.
Realized if schitt ever hit the fan and my wpn took a puke. I better be able to use what I could find if available and keep it running.

I will own an A2 again someday soon and call it all good.
AR,s just bore me currently. thats the only reason why I dont have one right now.

For sure.
Top pushed us hard on OPFOR operations and equipment in 3rd ID '86-'88. Him being a multi-tour 'Nam vet had lots to do with that motivation, I think. Commie or NATO, it was MANDATORY we knew our stuff.
I learned alot from my 1st sqd ldr at carson 84 to 86.
Prior sevice 2 tour 173rd Vietnam vet.
SSG Earl Dunn
Black dude from NYC , mini fro and a t bird with curb finders on it.
I know I emulated his leadership style thru out my career.
You either perform to or above the standard in everything or you were a schitbird no matter what color you were.
I'm pretty sure I passed on alot of SSG Dunn to my joes during my time.
Been going on since Von Stueben hit valley forge and jerked a knot in the Continental Army,s azz and got em trained up to go toe to toe with the redcoats.
Renegade,
I thought of that pic when I was reading the OP.

I was surprised though that it didn't mention what superdave alluded to:
It's tolerance for cycling with dirty ammunition.

I remember reading articles about the problems with the early 16s and that that the 7.62x39 is the key to the A's dirt tolerance...
Originally Posted by Huntz

For sure.

Love ta find one of the 70 or 71 yugo,s with the CL barrel.
Very limited run of them made.
Slumlord has a Pretty Cool Norinco 66 factory SKS IIRC

Couple weeks ago at the range, a guy had a really nice yugo that was night sighted and grenade launcher set up.
He was single shotting it and couldnt figure it out.

I asked him what was up with his wpn.
Said it wasnt feeding the 2nd round or ejecting the 1st
He had just gotten it for 350 from a friend who had got it from his grandfathers collection.

Really really nice condition rifle .
Cosmetic around 90%+
#,s all matching,

Dude had the gas button in the the top postion for grenade launch .
Instead of at 45 on the right for semi.
Also showed him he was using the big ole blob night sights.

Told him get on the web and learn how to dissemble and clean and assemble it.

Went back to shooting my AK.
If a man will own 9 CZ rifles in .222 rem, and 3 gun safes full of inheritance baby guns, he can stash an AK in a back corner of a closet without catching the gay.
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Renegade,
I thought of that pic when I was reading the OP.

I was surprised though that it didn't mention what superdave alluded to:
It's tolerance for cycling with dirty ammunition.

I remember reading articles about the problems with the early 16s and that that the 7.62x39 is the key to the A's dirt tolerance...

Lot of soldiers died in veitnam cause early 16,s didnt have a CL chamber.
Failure to extract issues big time.
That and rumour that ya didnt have to clean them when they got fielded intially and they didnt have cleaning kits with em at 1st also.

Logistics, manufacturing, and training for the platform was lacking big time in the beginning.
Lots of guys paid for it with their life.....

They got it straightened out thru trial and error.
Its our longest running platform in the military outside of the MA duece.
They have proposed replacing both many times.
Aint hapoened yet.
Both have been improved over the decades.
Why replace something that works.

Cause congressmen and senators and retired mil types with connections to the defense industry want too.....

Benjamins for them all around and jobs in their districts.....

Bout the only thing mil AR,s need is good 77 grain bullets for more punch at range.
They have addressed that.

But good idea fairy,s always wanta spew schitt outta their pieholes for benjamins....
Originally Posted by slumlord
If a man will own 9 CZ rifles in .222 rem, and 3 gun safes full of inheritance baby guns, he can stash an AK in a back corner of a closet without catching the gay.

LOL!!!
I think it would be cool to have something that eats cheap 7.62x39 but as mentioned by others, a decent AK costs more than an AR these days. I could get an upper for one of my ARs but I’d imagine it would be all picky about eating the cheap steel cased ammo. SKS rifles are selling $300-$400 for a beat to schit looking rack grade. What else is there? Ruger mini 30?
....Adding a couple of uppers/rifles in 7.62 for 'cheaper' ammo is akin to spending $40k that gets 40mpg over your current vehicle that gets 25mpg....

Are your uppers able to carry you and the family to the market? Savvy? The $40K that gets 40mpg (that is miles per gallon) refers to a vehicle.

Are your uppers able to carry you and the family to the market? Savvy? The $40K that gets 40mpg (that is miles per gallon) refers to a vehicle.

Oh, you can get around in an automobile?....who knew?

Your comparison makes no sense whatsoever.

A $279 upper and 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 for $250 dollars. it is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't.

It damn sure ain't anything to do with a $40K automobile.
I'd have an AK if I good find a good one.
I was at a big show in the early to middle 90’s at the Astrohall in Houston and Eugene Stoner, Uzi Gal, and Mikhail Kalashnikov were all three there in the same booth.
It looks like Cabalas gets way over 1400 for one?
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It looks like Cabalas gets way over 1400 for one?

Richard, I think Cabelas is overpriced on anything they sell.

A $279 upper and 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 for $250 dollars. it is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't.

How much 5.56 ammo can you buy for $279
Right James, I have a slew of club points. If our granddaughter's collage graduation would have been held on seclude, I might have used some on a Browning 22 auto handgun. I still plan to.
I like the AR's better than the AK. But the AK could definitely come in handy if need be. I bought it in 1994 right before the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban for $600.00.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Right James, I have a slew of club points. If our granddaughter's collage graduation would have been held on seclude, I might have used some on a Browning 22 auto handgun. I still plan to.

How is BYC doing?
i was talking to a friend of mine in the gun business over the weekend about a.k.'s and ar's.
he has been around a long time, seen thousands of each.
since import restrictions have been placed, you are not seeing new arrivals from overseas. the restrictions came in dribbles and drabbles, for a variety of reasons. one of which was when former soviet bloc countries went nato, they had to go to the nato standard cartridge, and a lot of ak's became available as parts kits, minus the reciever. eventually that got shut down.
what you find often today are a'k's made here not to spec, and no where near the former imports quality.,
we wer talking about a kvar bularian kit gun, it was confiscated in another state, sold to a distributor, where i ran across it. didn't work quite right, and put in the hands of a a.k. guru, who put a tapco fire control group in it. very light, very smooth trigger.
shooting it at various ranges, it will for sure stay with a a.r.
I have fired several differnt aka74's including a polish one, mighty fine and once you get past the ugly they are a good weapon. so are the top of the line valmets.
every now and then i see/hear of a limited run of a.k's being built here, by somebody that actually knows what they are doing. I would never turn my nose up at a them. those foreign assembled a.k.'s are pricy these days as they aren't coming in like they were, and build quality was better.
I don't know what they are now, but i saw an original norinco ak go for over 2500dollars.
t he israeli's are not known for being stupid with there weapons, and one of theirs was loosely based on the a.k.
as to the ammo, as with all of it ain't as cheap as it use to be. after the berlin wall fell, you could get east german 7.6 2x39 in cans for about 70bucks for 1400rounds. that was a good time to stock up.
as to the yugo sks with the gernade launcher/night sights. a lot of them were made just prior to the switch to select fire. they were warehoused taken out to test fire every seven years or so, then regreased and put back. I have had the opportunity to tear a number of t hem apart, and found complete matching internals in some of them. in essence, brand new guns. heck of a price too when they first came in, with ammo cariers,sling, cleaning kit, oiler etc.
Originally Posted by superdave
I carried one in Astan when all the Army saw fit to send me with was a 9mm. They're good, but not great. The bolt doesn't lock open after your last round, the only way you know you're dry is that it won't go bang. A load of ammo is heavier than the same load in 5.56. We all like to think we're superman, but cutting weight anywhere is good for the long game. The safety is a PIA, you need to remove your hand/finger from the pistol grip/trigger to flip it to safe. Consequently many of our local friends just carried hot, really hot...and ND's were rampant. While way easier to maintain and operate dirty, they're not magic, you still need to give them a little cleaning and maintenance. Plan on an aftermarket pistol grip at least, they're built for small hands. Regarding bullet damage, you don't want to get shot with anything, but I've heard and read docs say the faster 5.56 causes more trauma. But, if you need a cheap bullet hose, and some situations do, they're great for that.

the yugo mag when empty will lock the bolt back.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

As will the VZ58

As will the VZ58

I got wpn tech BHO followers in my 2 circle 10 30,s
And my 2 Bulgarian steel lugs and lips slabside polymers.
Looking for a unobtanium at a decent price circle 10 40rd.
On about 6 or 7 website notify me list for one.

The wpn tech Bho followers cost like 14.95 for 3 .
Alantic firearms used ta sell a 10 pack of em.

Stay away from the new Bosnian Bho mags.
The metal is soft in the follower and it peens over .
The bho feature last about 10 to 15 times.
Then it's just a regular mag basically.

This is what the weapon tech Bho follower looks like.
I have ran them probably 20 25 times so far.
Function fine and cant see any wear to speak off
The tops of em have a small flat from the factory.

How much 5.56 ammo can you buy for $279

You can probably find cheap steel case for under 30 cents a pop, or boutique ammo for over a dollar. Just depends what you're looking for.

My 5.56 ammo is bulk M855, and smaller quantities of 77gr OTM. I don't go for steel case 223/5.56, because the case body taper of the 5.56 is fairly slight. In the 7.62x39, the generous body taper plays better with steel case ammo.

So there is an argument for low priced 5.56/223 also.

If you were paying attention to my very first post, I noted price/availability. I kind of like having some different chamberings in case availability gets bad. In past shortages, 7.62x39 has always been available.

I also carry 9mm pistols, but have other pistols in common defensive calibers for the same reason.

We all make our choices, and take our chances. Worse case, extra guns/ammo are always good barter material.
Just to clarify, I'm not against the 5.56 at all.

My current tally of uppers:

5.56 NATO - 9

7.62x39 - 3

22LR - 1

LOL!!!

Which one was dumber? The one who was shooting the AK or the one who handed a loaded AK to a [bleep]?
PS:
Wow! Censorship is BAD when you get bleeped for saying what kind of minkee it is.
I hope that doesn't happen around THIS campfire.....
Sometimes I wonder....
I was told many moons ago that I shouldn't get an AR.
I was told that you can't put them in the mud and expect them to run like you can an AK.

Another did me the favor of letting me shoot his.
I'm plinking away, and after a magazine or two I'm wondering why my trigger finger is sore? That's never happened before.....
He told me that I must not be using it right.

Ok then, show me how it's done.

After seeing my trigger pulling technique was kosher, he said it's just something that I have to get used to.
I never got one to see if I could get used to trigger slap.
It must work for some though. Nice that we have so many choices.

[video:youtube]https://www.full30.com/watch/MDAyNjg2/ak47-akm-mud-test[/video]
This is a Type 3 AK47
Bulgarian Arsenal SLR 100H receiver with a Hungarian AK 55 mil barrel and train.
Rare and desirable gun.

I got an SLR95 in 1996 for $260 through ShotGunNews.
I wanted the milled receiver.
I made my own mods.... back when my machine shop was a bench vise, a drill press, and a grinder.

That AK made from a shovel impresses me.
https://imgur.com/gallery/TspVw
All I do is put new stuff on Rem700 and M70 actions.
Clark, you shovel cracks me up.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
This is a Type 3 AK47
Rare and desirable gun.

I got an SLR95 in 1996 for $260 through ShotGunNews.
I wanted the milled receiver.
I made my own mods.... back when my machine shop was a bench vise, a drill press, and a grinder.

That AK made from a shovel impresses me.
https://imgur.com/gallery/TspVw
All I do is put new stuff on Rem700 and M70 actions.

Their is a vid of that running actually.

As will the VZ58

Uh. Try and find one.

5.56 NATO - 9

7.62x39 - 3

22LR - 1

MM, race you to 20.

LOL. (You're way ahead of me).
Originally Posted by local_dirt

5.56 NATO - 9

7.62x39 - 3

22LR - 1

MM, race you to 20.

I'm doing my best to pump the brakes......grin
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

LOL!!!

Which one was dumber? The one who was shooting the AK or the one who handed a loaded AK to a [bleep]?
PS:
Wow! Censorship is BAD when you get bleeped for saying what kind of minkee it is.
I hope that doesn't happen around THIS campfire.....
Sometimes I wonder....

Yep you cant type out the short word for a [bleep] on here.

LOL!!!
Or the actual word it seems for what curious george was.

On this site of all places....

LOL!!!

5.56 NATO - 9

7.62x39 - 3

22LR - 1

MM, race you to 20.

Some of you guys got a schittload of "MSR,s"

I just wanna get an A2 someday as a counterpoint to the AK.

Dont want a M4 clone again.

If I win the lottery.
I might pick up an AES 10B / RPK.

LOL!!!
That IS bad.
Man, from now on I will just have to replace the bleep word with curious George to get past the filter!
LOL
Wanted ta go check out knob creek earlier this spring.
Bout a 3 to 4 hr drive from here in clarksville
C19 fugged that plan up.
Maybe the fall one will happen.
I can give up a day of deer hunting to go to it.
Really dgaf about the auto fire pay for or watch events.
BTDT.....

The gun show is supposed to be really huge and kick azz.
Kinda hoping I might run across a nice laminate milled stock set.

Some nice polish 1960 NOS mil ones on line.
But i would like ta have the option of being able to shade match a set possibly with my eyes and hands on before I buy.
I do have a basic A2. Actually a Colt Sporter SP1 slick lower with A2 upper, barrel, furniture. It was my first AR.
C19 fugged that plan up.

Let me know if go, and I'll give you some money to pick me up a STG44.

5.56 NATO - 9

7.62x39 - 3

22LR - 1

MM, race you to 20.

Lol!!!

Only thing stopping me right now is I can't find what I want. smile
Originally Posted by JamesJr
C19 fugged that plan up.

Cool, and then give me some money too, I will get you some kettle corn.
C19 fugged that plan up.

Now that Rural King has quit the free popcorn business, I might just do that
C19 fugged that plan up.

Actually, I'd rather have an FG42. That's one of the coolest guns ever made.
I do have a basic A2. Actually a Colt Sporter SP1 slick lower with A2 upper, barrel, furniture. It was my first AR.

I hated it in 97 when Sqd ldrs and above got issued m4,s in the 101.

Short sight radius.
higher maximum ordinate at midrange per its battle sight zero due the short sight radius and short barrel.
Walking like a trex forearms road marching with one.
Muzzle heavy as heck when you put a Peq 2 and light on the forearm, balance was strange.
Were my main gripes.

Humped an A2 for 11 yrs.
Got real good with the deer rifle.
Wpn sqd ldr and line dog sqd ldr.
Knew my holdovers with it.
Desiginating tgts for my 249,s m60,s and 240,s thru out that time
Didnt have ta fugg with the dail like a known distance target shooter.

I got used to the M4.
Didnt take but a 4 or 5 good range sessions to learn hold overs and hold unders with it.
Then a couple of live fire manuver ranges with it over a period of 5 or 6 months.

But for awhile I had ta mentally unlearn A2 holds in my head while shooting the M4.
Eventually the A2 muscle and mental memory went by the wayside.
But the M4 was a 600m rifle at best.
Lost some stand off with it.
Kinda missed those known extra 200 yds with an A2.
But once ya slap all the stuff on it.
Probably weigh 1 pd to 1.5 pds less than an A2/A3 with the same stuff.
Went to war my 1st time with an A2
2nd time with a m4

M4 is way better in mout .
Really all ya need is a M68 on one and a Peq2 properly zeroed for night.
They can keep the eye relief is critical acog pos optic.....
Worthlesss.......

Learn how to range with a crisp setting 4 or 5 2 moa red dot in a 68.
You can hit out to 500 easy.
Some think you cant use a red dot for precision fire.
PFFFFT on that........
Zero a crisp reddot at the 12 oclock edge dead on at 50 yds
That 2 moa dot can hit out to 300 easy using the 12.
Use the 6 oclock out to five holding over.
Use that 2 moa dot to estimate range per the distance and width , height of a man
36 inch torso neck to belly 20 inch outer arm to arm width.
You dont even think about ranging.
It just come from range practice.
In mout...
Blot the dot on the spot or just dump rounds when ya have to.
As distance increase,s so does the 2 moa reddot correspondingly.
Hence the fine edge of the 12 and the 6 will never steer ya wrong
The 3 and 9 edges can be used as your wind hold also.

Alot of dudes dont fully understand the use of a red dot.
And they slam its accuracy potential.
That which is unfamilar and outside of someone,s comfort zone.
Must be wrong and bad.
It has too be.....
That is a mentality you will run into alot.
In the military and the civilian world alike.

LOL!!!

If your red dot looks like starburst super nova
Turn the fugging rheostat setting down......
JFC....
Then ya might get some accuracy outta it if ya practice with it and your BUIS sight.

Another thing is to dail in your reddot in conjunction with your front sight post top cutting it in half to be cowitnessed with it.
And look thru your BUIS sight in conjunction with your reddot also gives ya a little more accuracy with it also.
Beleive it or not.....
A2 has the reach out and touch someone factor in the right hands.
And with a 4 to 1 or pure tracer mag .
You can get your gunners on a tgt out to 700 800 easy with a A2 especially if you know the wpn.

Stag makes a pretty good one that has a detachable handle with a 8 twist. Got a lifetime transferable warranty and lifetime replacement on the CL barrel if you manage to shoot it out.
Windham has good one also with 7 twist.
But the warranty aint that great.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah

Ect ect ect.
AR,s still bore me.....
for now.....

LOL!!!

C19 fugged that plan up.

Actually, I'd rather have an FG42. That's one of the coolest guns ever made.

JFC....

I shoulda sold my G43 on here.
Now you all are coming outta da wood work with werhmact desires

A Stg 44 would be fughing awesome.
They got those .22 versions out.
Chintzy........

Be cool if some one made a modern one chambered for something like .308 or 5.56 instead of the 7.92 kurz round.
Im sure modern metalurgy could be used in the original design.
C19 fugged that plan up.

Road trip if it happens this fall????
I truly could care less, but always find this funny.

© 24hourcampfire