Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i was talking to a friend of mine in the gun business over the weekend about a.k.'s and ar's.
he has been around a long time, seen thousands of each.
since import restrictions have been placed, you are not seeing new arrivals from overseas. the restrictions came in dribbles and drabbles, for a variety of reasons. one of which was when former soviet bloc countries went nato, they had to go to the nato standard cartridge, and a lot of ak's became available as parts kits, minus the reciever. eventually that got shut down.
what you find often today are a'k's made here not to spec, and no where near the former imports quality.,
we wer talking about a kvar bularian kit gun, it was confiscated in another state, sold to a distributor, where i ran across it. didn't work quite right, and put in the hands of a a.k. guru, who put a tapco fire control group in it. very light, very smooth trigger.
shooting it at various ranges, it will for sure stay with a a.r.
I have fired several differnt aka74's including a polish one, mighty fine and once you get past the ugly they are a good weapon. so are the top of the line valmets.
every now and then i see/hear of a limited run of a.k's being built here, by somebody that actually knows what they are doing. I would never turn my nose up at a them. those foreign assembled a.k.'s are pricy these days as they aren't coming in like they were, and build quality was better.
I don't know what they are now, but i saw an original norinco ak go for over 2500dollars.
t he israeli's are not known for being stupid with there weapons, and one of theirs was loosely based on the a.k.
as to the ammo, as with all of it ain't as cheap as it use to be. after the berlin wall fell, you could get east german 7.6 2x39 in cans for about 70bucks for 1400rounds. that was a good time to stock up.
as to the yugo sks with the gernade launcher/night sights. a lot of them were made just prior to the switch to select fire. they were warehoused taken out to test fire every seven years or so, then regreased and put back. I have had the opportunity to tear a number of t hem apart, and found complete matching internals in some of them. in essence, brand new guns. heck of a price too when they first came in, with ammo cariers,sling, cleaning kit, oiler etc.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/30/20.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by superdave
I carried one in Astan when all the Army saw fit to send me with was a 9mm. They're good, but not great. The bolt doesn't lock open after your last round, the only way you know you're dry is that it won't go bang. A load of ammo is heavier than the same load in 5.56. We all like to think we're superman, but cutting weight anywhere is good for the long game. The safety is a PIA, you need to remove your hand/finger from the pistol grip/trigger to flip it to safe. Consequently many of our local friends just carried hot, really hot...and ND's were rampant. While way easier to maintain and operate dirty, they're not magic, you still need to give them a little cleaning and maintenance. Plan on an aftermarket pistol grip at least, they're built for small hands. Regarding bullet damage, you don't want to get shot with anything, but I've heard and read docs say the faster 5.56 causes more trauma. But, if you need a cheap bullet hose, and some situations do, they're great for that.

the yugo mag when empty will lock the bolt back.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I carried one in Astan when all the Army saw fit to send me with was a 9mm. They're good, but not great. The bolt doesn't lock open after your last round, the only way you know you're dry is that it won't go bang. A load of ammo is heavier than the same load in 5.56. We all like to think we're superman, but cutting weight anywhere is good for the long game. The safety is a PIA, you need to remove your hand/finger from the pistol grip/trigger to flip it to safe. Consequently many of our local friends just carried hot, really hot...and ND's were rampant. While way easier to maintain and operate dirty, they're not magic, you still need to give them a little cleaning and maintenance. Plan on an aftermarket pistol grip at least, they're built for small hands. Regarding bullet damage, you don't want to get shot with anything, but I've heard and read docs say the faster 5.56 causes more trauma. But, if you need a cheap bullet hose, and some situations do, they're great for that.

As will the VZ58

Semper Fi

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by haverluk

As will the VZ58

I got wpn tech BHO followers in my 2 circle 10 30,s
And my 2 Bulgarian steel lugs and lips slabside polymers.
Looking for a unobtanium at a decent price circle 10 40rd.
On about 6 or 7 website notify me list for one.

The wpn tech Bho followers cost like 14.95 for 3 .
Alantic firearms used ta sell a 10 pack of em.

Stay away from the new Bosnian Bho mags.
The metal is soft in the follower and it peens over .
The bho feature last about 10 to 15 times.
Then it's just a regular mag basically.

This is what the weapon tech Bho follower looks like.
I have ran them probably 20 25 times so far.
Function fine and cant see any wear to speak off
The tops of em have a small flat from the factory.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by renegade50; 06/30/20.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RemModel8
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
....Adding a couple of uppers/rifles in 7.62 for 'cheaper' ammo is akin to spending $40k that gets 40mpg over your current vehicle that gets 25mpg....

$40K??!!..........I picked up my uppers for under $300 each at PSA.

Are your uppers able to carry you and the family to the market? Savvy? The $40K that gets 40mpg (that is miles per gallon) refers to a vehicle.

Oh, you can get around in an automobile?....who knew?

Your comparison makes no sense whatsoever.

A $279 upper and 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 for $250 dollars. it is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't.

It damn sure ain't anything to do with a $40K automobile.

How much 5.56 ammo can you buy for $279

You can probably find cheap steel case for under 30 cents a pop, or boutique ammo for over a dollar. Just depends what you're looking for.

My 5.56 ammo is bulk M855, and smaller quantities of 77gr OTM. I don't go for steel case 223/5.56, because the case body taper of the 5.56 is fairly slight. In the 7.62x39, the generous body taper plays better with steel case ammo.

So there is an argument for low priced 5.56/223 also.

If you were paying attention to my very first post, I noted price/availability. I kind of like having some different chamberings in case availability gets bad. In past shortages, 7.62x39 has always been available.

I also carry 9mm pistols, but have other pistols in common defensive calibers for the same reason.

We all make our choices, and take our chances. Worse case, extra guns/ammo are always good barter material.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Just to clarify, I'm not against the 5.56 at all.

My current tally of uppers:

5.56 NATO - 9

7.62x39 - 3

22LR - 1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It's so easy to operate even a [bleep] can use it...

LOL!!!

Which one was dumber? The one who was shooting the AK or the one who handed a loaded AK to a [bleep]?
PS:
Wow! Censorship is BAD when you get bleeped for saying what kind of minkee it is.
I hope that doesn't happen around THIS campfire.....
Sometimes I wonder....

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 06/30/20. Reason: Censorship
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was told many moons ago that I shouldn't get an AR.
I was told that you can't put them in the mud and expect them to run like you can an AK.

Another did me the favor of letting me shoot his.
I'm plinking away, and after a magazine or two I'm wondering why my trigger finger is sore? That's never happened before.....
He told me that I must not be using it right.

Ok then, show me how it's done.

After seeing my trigger pulling technique was kosher, he said it's just something that I have to get used to.
I never got one to see if I could get used to trigger slap.
It must work for some though. Nice that we have so many choices.

[video:youtube]https://www.full30.com/watch/MDAyNjg2/ak47-akm-mud-test[/video]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by renegade50
This is a Type 3 AK47
Bulgarian Arsenal SLR 100H receiver with a Hungarian AK 55 mil barrel and train.
Rare and desirable gun.

I got an SLR95 in 1996 for $260 through ShotGunNews.
I wanted the milled receiver.
I made my own mods.... back when my machine shop was a bench vise, a drill press, and a grinder.

That AK made from a shovel impresses me.
https://imgur.com/gallery/TspVw
All I do is put new stuff on Rem700 and M70 actions.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Clark, you shovel cracks me up.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Originally Posted by renegade50
This is a Type 3 AK47
Bulgarian Arsenal SLR 100H receiver with a Hungarian AK 55 mil barrel and train.
Rare and desirable gun.

I got an SLR95 in 1996 for $260 through ShotGunNews.
I wanted the milled receiver.
I made my own mods.... back when my machine shop was a bench vise, a drill press, and a grinder.

That AK made from a shovel impresses me.
https://imgur.com/gallery/TspVw
All I do is put new stuff on Rem700 and M70 actions.

Their is a vid of that running actually.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by haverluk

As will the VZ58

Uh. Try and find one.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

5.56 NATO - 9

7.62x39 - 3

22LR - 1

MM, race you to 20.

LOL. (You're way ahead of me).

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by local_dirt

5.56 NATO - 9

7.62x39 - 3

22LR - 1

MM, race you to 20.

I'm doing my best to pump the brakes......grin

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It's so easy to operate even a [bleep] can use it...

LOL!!!

Which one was dumber? The one who was shooting the AK or the one who handed a loaded AK to a [bleep]?
PS:
Wow! Censorship is BAD when you get bleeped for saying what kind of minkee it is.
I hope that doesn't happen around THIS campfire.....
Sometimes I wonder....

Yep you cant type out the short word for a [bleep] on here.

LOL!!!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Or the actual word it seems for what curious george was.

On this site of all places....

LOL!!!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by local_dirt

5.56 NATO - 9

7.62x39 - 3

22LR - 1

MM, race you to 20.

I'm doing my best to pump the brakes......grin

Some of you guys got a schittload of "MSR,s"

I just wanna get an A2 someday as a counterpoint to the AK.

Dont want a M4 clone again.

If I win the lottery.
I might pick up an AES 10B / RPK.

LOL!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That IS bad.
Man, from now on I will just have to replace the bleep word with curious George to get past the filter!
LOL

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Wanted ta go check out knob creek earlier this spring.
Bout a 3 to 4 hr drive from here in clarksville
C19 fugged that plan up.
Maybe the fall one will happen.
I can give up a day of deer hunting to go to it.
Really dgaf about the auto fire pay for or watch events.
BTDT.....

The gun show is supposed to be really huge and kick azz.
Kinda hoping I might run across a nice laminate milled stock set.

Some nice polish 1960 NOS mil ones on line.
But i would like ta have the option of being able to shade match a set possibly with my eyes and hands on before I buy.

Last edited by renegade50; 06/30/20.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I do have a basic A2. Actually a Colt Sporter SP1 slick lower with A2 upper, barrel, furniture. It was my first AR.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,529
Posts18,530,796
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.