Home
Posted By: RAS A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
Who here believes that a dog can point out an ahole?

My German wirehair is very happy to almost everybody. Like 99%. But for some reason it doesn’t like certain people. One of them is a distant family member. And for that one, the dog is spot on.

Anyone else see this?
Posted By: sgt217 Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
Yup...Trust the dog...
Posted By: Valsdad Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
Yes
Posted By: Remsen Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
I had a chocolate lab when I lived in Oakland (Ca). The dog was the friendliest, goofiest guy around, unless he saw a negro (which, in Oakland, is all the time). I've heard of other dogs having this type of reaction, so I never thought much of it. But back then (I think it was early 2002), I lived near Lake Merritt, which is also where the mayor of Oakland would walk every day. He (Jerry Brown) also had a lab and our dogs would play as we walked, but my dog stopped to bark at every black person who passed by. I looked at the mayor and said "I guess you trained your pup to not react to threats".

I think he figured out what I meant after I left.
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
In my experience, dogs raised by white people don't like blacks, and vice versa. I suspect it has to do with the difference in smell.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
I certainly believe that dogs are good judges of people. I once had a dalmatian who loved people, but tried to bite every a$$hole she ever met. She batted 1000 on that as far as I am concerned.
Posted By: hatari Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
Dogs and children are good judges of character.

"cept for that White/Black thing. Dogs can be racist! (For real!)
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
Originally Posted by RAS

My German wirehair is very happy to almost everybody. Like 99%. But for some reason it doesn’t like certain people. One of them is a distant family member. And for that one, the dog is spot on.

Anyone else see this?

Dogs like any animal have a "Sixth Sense" and we should always trust their instinct. As hunters many of us have seen animals stop...think.. and change direction for no apparent reason.
Posted By: Dryfly24 Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This guy had about a 100% track record. If he didn’t like you, neither did I.

And he really was a bit of a racist. And no I didn’t teach him that. Have no idea why...
Posted By: jaguartx Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
Originally Posted by RAS

Anyone else see this?

My Jules did not like a goofy adopted nephew.

My Babe does not like sukers loaded with musk colonge?
Posted By: auk1124 Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I certainly believe that dogs are good judges of people. I once had a dalmatian who loved people, but tried to bite every a$$hole she ever met. She batted 1000 on that as far as I am concerned.

When I was a kid, a farmer in the county had a Dalmatian who would, no kidding, run up to salesmen and Jehova's Witnesses when they came to the door, hike his leg, and piss on them.

I really wanted a pup out of that dog...
Posted By: Poconojack Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20

The beagle loves almost everyone, but there are some people that she just will not go near.
Personally, I don't believe in the "racist" thing.

I do believe the dogs I've had were/are very attuned to the appearance of any person, until they become accustomed to said person.

When one lives in an all white household, in a predominantly white neighborhood, what does one expect of their dog upon meeting a person who looks entirely different?

Our dogs now, have no problem with our black neighbor, they like him when he comes over, as he did for Thanksgiving dinner. Then again, he's a nice negro, right?

I've had more than one dog, as I'm sure others on here have, that did not like folks in uniform. Coppers, Postal workers (reason to be afraid there? shocked ), UPS, FedEx, Meter readers, etc.

Over the years our dogs have warned us of folks acting "weird", as in behavior that didn't seem what normal folks should be doing.

Had one great dog, never could understand why he did not like folks wearing hats. Given that I wear hats all the time, even indoors (I've got a ball cap on as I type this). Was he trying to tell me something? I was awfully tough on that dog for a few years.

But "racist"? Not mine at least.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
Originally Posted by sgt217
Yup...Trust the dog...

Ditto. ^^^^^
Posted By: 12344mag Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
Absolutely! And very seldom are they wrong.

If a dog is raised and socialized properly and there is someone they don't like..........Heed the warning.

Charlotte the wonder dog was scared of Black people, it's not that she didn't like them she was just scared of them. I met a couple of Black people and when I shared my story with them they were more than happy to help me work on it with her, these two people she came to like and trust but she was still scared of the ones she didn't know.

I do know she was abused before I was able to enjoy her so I do believe it was a Black person that had done the abusing and that is why she had the problem.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Yup...Trust the dog...

Ditto. ^^^^^

Yep.

Seen it time and again.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I do believe the dogs I've had were/are very attuned to the appearance of any person, until they become accustomed to said person.

When one lives in an all white household, in a predominantly white neighborhood, what does one expect of their dog upon meeting a person who looks entirely different?

Our dogs now, have no problem with our black neighbor, they like him when he comes over, as he did for Thanksgiving dinner. Then again, he's a nice negro, right?

I've had more than one dog, as I'm sure others on here have, that did not like folks in uniform. Coppers, Postal workers (reason to be afraid there? shocked ), UPS, FedEx, Meter readers, etc.

Over the years our dogs have warned us of folks acting "weird", as in behavior that didn't seem what normal folks should be doing.

Had one great dog, never could understand why he did not like folks wearing hats. Given that I wear hats all the time, even indoors (I've got a ball cap on as I type this). Was he trying to tell me something? I was awfully tough on that dog for a few years.

I've been assured by my friends on the left that racism can only occur when the party engaging in racist behavior has "power" over the target, and that's something that means blacks can't be racist since they've been disenfranchised. Well, until my dog is given the power to vote and paid reparations, he ain't a racist, even though he hated blacks.

We lived in a very small, rural town in western Maine where there was only one black family in the entire town consisting of the mother and two daughters. One of the daughters was high school classmates with my own daughter. On occasion she would bring a bunch of them over the house like HS girls do. My German Shepherd (in the previous pic I posted) would come unglued at the site of her.

No problems whatsoever with the other girls as he acted normally when around them - a big teddy bear. But he absolutely hated that girl and we had to be careful whenever she was around. I could never reason why. She was a nice kid and it always made me feel bad. Happened a few other times similar situations. Only thing I could figure is he just wasn’t used to seeing them or maybe they were afraid of him.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
In my experience, dogs raised by white people don't like blacks, and vice versa. I suspect it has to do with the difference in smell.

My black neighbor's dog does not like me and most dogs do. Whenever I would get close to the property line he would raise hell. I talked to him, fed him, and let him smell my hand through the fence. Eventually he started licking my hand through the fence. Finally he would raise up on the fence and let me pet him. I figured we were buds. One day I was petting him and my neighbor's daughter came over with her little yap yap dog......which bounded out into the yard......wait for it.....yapping. That got the big dog I was petting excited and he snapped at my hand.....kind of a close call. Haven't messed with him since.

I think the dog is the one who is the ahole in this situation! laugh
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
My English Springer Spaniel is a female and she is a bitch. And like most females today insists on picking her own friends. To her everyone is suspect ,try to make friends with her and you will fail period. When she decides your ok she will come and make friends with you honest that is how it works. Put up with it? Yup she is a bird hunting fool . She is a rescue dog. They sometimes come with problems . MB
Originally Posted by Remsen

I've been assured by my friends on the left that racism can only occur when the party engaging in racist behavior has "power" over the target, and that's something that means blacks can't be racist since they've been disenfranchised. Well, until my dog is given the power to vote and paid reparations, he ain't a racist, even though he hated blacks.

Living in Oakland, I can't for the life of me imagine why. wink

Alas, he passed away about 10 years ago, after we had left Oakland. But he was an amazing dog. I used to take him to a typically Oakland dog park (under a freeway overpass in the hood, nothing but pavement and garbage) and he'd get along with all other dogs, especially pit bulls. But one day I was going to get a ball to throw for him and a German Shepherd cornered me and starting to growl. Out of nowhere, my lab (a big boy at over 90 lbs) came running and t-boned the Shepherd. No one believed it cause that dog was so gentle that even the vet told us he must have had his mean bone removed.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk

Some dogs don't like the smell of coconut or pot.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
I had a little 8lb Chihuahua/Jack Russel mix, ornery little brown and white cuss who got to keep his ‘nads. He could spot off-duty Cops at the range every time and would get in their face, White and Mexican both. I think it was their body language or their walk or something.

Black folks? I had a rat terrier too back then, ordinarily laid back. One time in the morning I went grocery shopping and left the dogs in the car, parking lot mostly empty at that hour.

I come out and this Black guy with a big smile on his face is dancing pirouettes around the car, both little dogs going full on Cujo beserk inside the car following him around from window to window grin

He was embarrassed when I came walking up, I thought it was funny.

That little mutt is the only dog I have had that bit someone, a drunk Mexican reaching into my Ex’s car at the park, little fugger struck like a rattlesnake from the back seat. He was a good dog.

Posted By: renegade50 Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

^^^^^^^
This dog was 100% feral in the main train yard in Mosul.
The Alpha dog of em all.
We named him JYD, junk yard dog.

Myself and 2 of my philippino soldiers Ravago and Casica started working with him and got him to the point of being americanized and our compound dog.
Then he opened up friendly to the rest of the platoon.
Belly rubs, food, frisbee, patrolling, kicking azz.
Seen him take on 4 other dogs one day when they thought they could move in and take over the train yard and his pack from him.
Holy fugg....
JYD won.
Almost killed one on the ground withba throat hold.
Think he broke anothers front leg.
Couple bites on back of his neck which our platoon medic doctored up.

He would sleep all day and walk with squads on patrol at night all over the city.
Lit up Haji,s azz,s and upper thighs several times.
Take a rest break with security on patrol
JYD would break off 50 75 yds out do his early warning cujo barking thing if he seen a haji.

Dogs know who azzholes are.
We handed him off to the stryker company that took over our AO.
Took him about a week during our 3 week overlap for him to get up in the back of the crew compartment of a stryker and go out with those guys.

Fugging war dog.......

Alas, he passed away about 10 years ago, after we had left Oakland. But he was an amazing dog. I used to take him to a typically Oakland dog park (under a freeway overpass in the hood, nothing but pavement and garbage) and he'd get along with all other dogs, especially pit bulls. But one day I was going to get a ball to throw for him and a German Shepherd cornered me and starting to growl. Out of nowhere, my lab (a big boy at over 90 lbs) came running and t-boned the Shepherd. No one believed it cause that dog was so gentle that even the vet told us he must have had his mean bone removed.

Dog parks can bring out the best and worst in our friends.
Val, our mixed breed, hence Valsdad was a nice girl, hardly ever see any aggressive type behavior from her toward folks or other dogs.
At a dog park in Henderson/LV one time, she was 30 or so yards from me when I went over to get something we left on a bench, toy leash, cookie, whatever.

Lady came in with a little Jack Russel terrier that started trying to get nasty with me, just because. Val ran over and without having to bite or more than just with a look and a growling bark told that dog what was going to happen if it continued its attitude toward me. My wife and I were about stunned. We would have expected that out of our other two dogs, but not the mellow one in the pack. The owner lady of that little dog swooped in and got that dog out of the way.

Dogs are amazing. That girl would put herself between my wife and anything approaching danger when she walked the pack in the morning in Fresno/Clovis. Like the drunk guy laying in the gutter up the street, or sketchy looking folks walking down the other sidewalk. Just casually move in front of and to the side of my wife to let the opposition know they were sighted.
Posted By: AZmark Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
Come On!!!!

I thought we all knew that dogs were much smarter that people!
Back about 3 weeks ago.
Grandog dog Brady saved my wifes azz from d bags 2 german shepards .
Posted about that bullschitt.
Brady a 55 60 pd redbone coon hound taking on 2, 95+ pd german shepards.
Wife said he held his own for about 20 seconds.
Wife got some of them shepards also with Brady,s chain leash when he slipped his collar defending his grandma.

What a goat fugged situation.

Fugging sheeple in my neighborhood and their run ins with that azzhole and his dogs over the past 3 yrs never doing schit about it either.
Posted By: slumlord Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
Originally Posted by RAS

Anyone else see this?

YES ABSOLUTELY

the only human my big, fat completely socialized Labrador retriever ever growled at, was my total shïtbird wife’s derelict, malingering, drunk-druggie cousin that used to come around bumming ‘lawn mower gas’ for his Tahoe.

It was uncanny....I never seen big chug of love do that. I would deny it if I hadnt witnessed it.
I had a chocolate lab when I lived in Oakland (Ca). The dog was the friendliest, goofiest guy around, unless he saw a negro (which, in Oakland, is all the time). I've heard of other dogs having this type of reaction, so I never thought much of it. But back then (I think it was early 2002), I lived near Lake Merritt, which is also where the mayor of Oakland would walk every day. He (Jerry Brown) also had a lab and our dogs would play as we walked, but my dog stopped to bark at every black person who passed by. I looked at the mayor and said "I guess you trained your pup to not react to threats".

My yellow lab is like Tarquin, he’s never seen a negro.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20
Originally Posted by renegade50

^^^^^^^
The Alpha dog of em all.

Myself and 2 of my philippino soldiers Ravago and Casica started working with him and got him to the point of being americanized and our compound dog.
Seen him take on 4 other dogs one day when they thought they could move in and take over the train yard and his pack from him.
Holy fugg....
JYD won.

He would sleep all day and walk with squads on patrol at night all over the city.
JYD would break off 50 75 yds out do his early warning cujo barking thing if he seen a haji.

Took him about a week during our 3 week overlap for him to get up in the back of the crew compartment of a stryker and go out with those guys.

Fugging war dog.......

The most amazing dog story on these boards yet, and there’s been a bunch 😎
Posted By: gophergunner Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20

I had a chocolate lab that was the same exact way. Friend of everyone, as long as they weren't black. He'd turn up his lip, the hackles would go up on the back of his neck, he'd plant himselft directly between me and the black person and just let out the deepest, scariest growl a dog could possibly muster up. I couldn't take him anywhere where we might cross paths with black people. It wouldn't have been safe for any of us.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

^^^^^^^
The Alpha dog of em all.

Holy fugg....
JYD won.

Fugging war dog.......

The most amazing dog story on these boards yet, and there’s been a bunch 😎

This was during OIF1.
None of the system for bringing dogs back to the USA where in place or thought of.

JYD was a epic dog and proof of their loyalty to humans in a example of how 2 species become partners.
Birdie

What is the name of that little mama dog? 😃

All we hear about Cleburne
I like Cleburne.

Cool looking.

^^^^^^^
The Alpha dog of em all.

Holy fugg....
JYD won.

Fugging war dog.......

He looks bad ass REN. Too bad you couldn’t bring him back with you. That’s sad. Whatever happened to him? Do you know?

Hahaha, tff, Remy.
Originally Posted by hatari
Dogs and children are good judges of character.

"cept for that White/Black thing. Dogs can be racist! (For real!)

Be interesting to see how dogs do with Chinese and Vietnamese.
Originally Posted by auk1124
Originally Posted by gregintenn

When I was a kid, a farmer in the county had a Dalmatian who would, no kidding, run up to salesmen and Jehova's Witnesses when they came to the door, hike his leg, and piss on them.

I really wanted a pup out of that dog...
A Rancid Crabtree dog.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/08/20

this one could smell anything !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

We lived in a very small, rural town in western Maine where there was only one black family in the entire town consisting of the mother and two daughters. One of the daughters was high school classmates with my own daughter. On occasion she would bring a bunch of them over the house like HS girls do. My German Shepherd (in the previous pic I posted) would come unglued at the site of her.

No problems whatsoever with the other girls as he acted normally when around them - a big teddy bear. But he absolutely hated that girl and we had to be careful whenever she was around. I could never reason why. She was a nice kid and it always made me feel bad. Happened a few other times similar situations. Only thing I could figure is he just wasn’t used to seeing them or maybe they were afraid of him.

The dog probably just reacted to a person with a color it was not used to. A dog acting unusual may not necessarily be reacting to a person because they are bad and may just be reserving the right to act up in the presence of someone or anything unusual.

My Jules, dont run the vaccumn cleaner near her.

My Babe had been badly mistreated before i rescued her. She would jump up on the couch and lay by me, but it was 6 mo before she ever wagged her tail and for 2 years she didnt like me walking in the room with a hat and sunglasses on.

^^^^^^^
The Alpha dog of em all.

Holy fugg....
JYD won.

Fugging war dog.......

He looks bad ass REN. Too bad you couldn’t bring him back with you. That’s sad. Whatever happened to him? Do you know?

We handed him over to the stryker company that assumed our mission.
They were from Ft Lewis.
He adapted to those guys willingly once he got over getting in the back of a Stryker.
Typical dog....
Figure out going for a ride is awesome.
Lol!!!

Best I could make out what JYD was.
Whitish shepard features with Husky mixed in best I could figure out.
Probably had dna in him going back to alexander the greats army invading the area back in the day.
Lots of really interesting looking dogs over their.
Compound Food hound and bud.
American mutt......

Arabs hate dogs.
Dogs stay away from em big time.
Most of em are feral in cities and open terrian areas.
Very few are kept as pets or watch dogs.
Dogs hate arabs once they become tamed out and Americanized and treated well.
Dogs know azzholez.....
LOL!!!

^^^^^^^
The Alpha dog of em all.

Holy fugg....
JYD won.

Fugging war dog.......

We handed him over to the stryker company that assumed our mission.
They were from Ft Lewis.
He adapted to those guys willingly once he got over getting in the back of a Stryker.
Typical dog....
Figure out going for a ride is awesome.
Lol!!!

Best I could make out what JYD was.
Whitish shepard features with Husky mixed in best I could figure out.
Probably had dna in him going back to alexander the greats army invading the area back in the day.
Lots of really interesting looking dogs over their.
Compound Food hound and bud.
American mutt......

Arabs hate dogs.
Dogs stay away from em big time.
Most of em are feral in cities and open terrian areas.
Very few are kept as pets or watch dogs.
Dogs hate arabs once they become tamed out and Americanized and treated well.
Dogs know azzholez.....
LOL!!!

No doubt!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/09/20
Renegade,

JYD gives the appearance of having some Anatolian, Kuvasz, or other mountain type shepherd/guard dog.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/09/20
We had a 1/2 Sheltie - 1/2 Border collie, who would sound a certain bark when an RV'er was at the door, a different bark when a storage tenant was at the door, a low growl, laying between a stranger and "The Warden" - and a severe growl, when the kids were involved!
Only person she ever bit was a "preacher" - the dog had GREAT instincts - he needed to be bit !!!!
Posted By: ingwe Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/09/20

Trust the dog's judgement...immediately and implicitly.

With your life.
Posted By: Dryfly24 Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/09/20
Originally Posted by jaguartx

The dog probably just reacted to a person with a color it was not used to. A dog acting unusual may not necessarily be reacting to a person because they are bad and may just be reserving the right to act up in the presence of someone or anything unusual.

My Jules, dont run the vaccumn cleaner near her.

My Babe had been badly mistreated before i rescued her. She would jump up on the couch and lay by me, but it was 6 mo before she ever wagged her tail and for 2 years she didnt like me walking in the room with a hat and sunglasses on.

Geri was a working dog. Highly trained and stable as a granite shelf. Very protective of his family but friendly and playful until it was time not to be. What it was he didn’t like about them, I just don’t know. Maybe it was just a case of unfamiliarity.

He didn’t like people that appeared out of the normal. Homeless people who dressed or walked strangely would set him off too. The black thing I just could never understand. Maybe something in his early years. He was born in Germany and initially trained there before being brought to the states. By the time I got him he was almost two.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/09/20
My schipperkee is a litttle bear. Best watch dog I ever had. He gets along with everybody but our neighbor. He hates him. He is very strange though, and sort of a perv. I trust dogs more than most people.
Posted By: deflave Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/09/20
I hate dogs.
Posted By: Bry Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/09/20
My parents got me a collie-shepard mix pup when I was about six, back when door to door salesmen were common. That dog lived to be 18 and was about as mild of a mutt as you could hope for except for an unknown salesguy who stopped by just once. Good thing for a stout screen door or the guy probably would have sued my folks after getting mauled. Mom was home alone and was the one to answer the knock, she had no doubt there must have been something off about him and was glad he didn't stick around.
Posted By: 16penny Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/09/20
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs and I trust a dog that doesn’t like certain people
Originally Posted by deflave
I hate dogs.

Well,

it's about time, I've been waiting since this thread started!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/09/20
I hate dogs.

They know that.........
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I hate dogs.

They know that.........

I wish.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/09/20
When my cousin was stationed in NC he had a dog that hated blacks. The ironic thing is that the dog was black.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I hate dogs.

They know that.........

I wish.

In an earlier life were you a Jehova's Witness perhaps?

One who's leg was peed on by that guy's dog?
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
When my cousin was stationed in NC he had a dog that hated blacks. The ironic thing is that the dog was black.

Drive through Baltimore.

It will become less ironic.

In an earlier life were you a Jehova's Witness perhaps?

One who's leg was peed on by that guy's dog?

I had a couple watch my lab once.

He pissed all over the husband's leg.

They called me and asked if that was "normal."

I said "No. That's not normal."

LMFAO

Long winded (Valsdad) way of saying that a dog's instinct is not to be ignored.
cool

Labs be like, smart and schiedt, way beyond what they should be.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/09/20
We had a 1/2 Sheltie - 1/2 Border collie, who would sound a certain bark when an RV'er was at the door, a different bark when a storage tenant was at the door, a low growl, laying between a stranger and "The Warden" - and a severe growl, when the kids were involved!
Only person she ever bit was a "preacher" - the dog had GREAT instincts - he needed to be bit !!!!
cool

Valsdad,

The other day a guy walked past my daughter and I, and he had one of those ugly ass dogs you love so much. I couldn't recall the breed so I asked if it was a "Whipple." He replied "It's a Whippet."

I said "Well, beautiful regardless."

My daughter busted out laughing and the encounter ended.

LOL
I hate dogs.

Where the hell have you been? We’re on the third page already...
cool

Valsdad,

The other day a guy walked past my daughter and I, and he had one of those ugly ass dogs you love so much. I couldn't recall the breed so I asked if it was a "Whipple." He replied "It's a Whippet."

LOL

Lol...
cool

Valsdad,

LOL

Lol...

Ha ha.

We had T shirts that said.

"it's a whippet
yes it's fast
NO it's not hungry"

(no, we never wore them at the same time. That's just wrong, tourists do that schit at the zoo)
I hate dogs.

I didn't want to come across as abrasive.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/09/20
Some dogs are standoffish with a lot of people. I wouldn't read anything into that. If a dog doesn't like just a few people, you can probably trust that instinct.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/09/20

R we going to have to rename the Black Lab ?
I hate dogs.

I didn't want to come across as abrasive.

Laffin...
Posted By: RAS Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/09/20
My German Wirehair has only not liked three people.

My SIL, which makes perfect sense to me.

A cousin of mine. He went to shake my hand and my dog snapped at him. Don’t know this cousin very well at all. Heard stories.

A complete stranger who he growled at continuously. I sensed something but I couldn’t quite figure out. I trusted my dog’s judgement and made a bigger distance.
Posted By: windridge Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/09/20
Yup...Trust the dog...

66 years of helping train and training dogs has me in complete agreement.

I don't train them anymore. They train me. shocked grin
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/09/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
Birdie

Blondie?

Nowadays she eats, sleeps and lactates, eats, sleeps and lactates, eats sleeps and lactates....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

It ain't all bad though, she's been chowing down on about 2/3 of a pound of raw 27% fat ground beef a day, hand fed to her one bit at a time by me, with a side of grated mozzarella (her fave) plus all the Purina One Small Bites she can handle.

Cleburne is sporting a more streamlined look nowadays. Still a charming dog, gentle to a fault, more or less obedient, kills rodents, chases cats and the FedEX truck.

He's built like a whippet but he'd never make it on the track, catches too much air when he runs, ears flopping up and down with every leap, tail corkscrewing wildly.

We have a fast growing weed in Texas called Beggar's Tick I think. Comes out in the spring, grows very fast, covers everything then dies just as quick, leaving a kazillion little oval maybe 4mm seeds covered in hooks like velcro, they attach to everything. When he hits the tall weed patches Cleburne switches to the springbok thing, leaping up and down, and bounces right on through, always finishes up every walk with a face full of beggars ticks.

So on the drive home he'll lay his head on my leg and I'll pick the seeds off while I drive. Every time a seed comes off it takes a little bit of hair with it, hence his relatively short-haired condition from the neck up. Him and Blondie still hang out, but she has him in check, when I'm hand feeding her he patiently sits and waits in the background, and then cleans up any scraps when she's done.

Posted By: windridge Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/09/20
Birdie

Cleburne is sporting a more streamlined look nowadays. Still a charming dog, gentle to a fault, more or less obedient, kills rodents, chases cats and the FedEX truck.

He's built like a whippet but he'd never make it on the track, catches too much air when he runs, ears flopping up and down with every leap, tail corkscrewing wildly.

The perfect dog!
cool
Posted By: slumlord Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/09/20
They could do a remake of The Jerk with you Birdie, Cleburne could be Shîthead.

lol 🎬🎬

They could do a remake of The Jerk with you Birdie, Cleburne could be Shîthead.

What, you mean I'll always be this color? smile

...and what they did to cats in that movie was just awful...

Originally Posted by windridge
Birdie

The perfect dog!
cool

Well, there's certainly worse ones out there smile
Cleburne is a cool little Schitt...
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/13/20
Cleburne and Blondie update:

So I’m sitting out on the front porch watching the morning when the uncut male wiener dog from the next street comes wandering down our street.

Cleburne and Blondie charge, wiener dog kicks BOTH their a$$es, chases them back to the front porch. Cleburne and Blondie sheltering close by me as I write grin

I got no use for mean dogs anyhow....
Posted By: HitnRun Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/13/20
Leave it to a bike rider to name his dog after Safariman, then expect it to be a bear killer.
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/13/20
Always have had German Shepherds, without exception, they have been guarded, but accepting of most people. With each of them, though, there has usually been one person or a few that could not enter the house, or be on the property unless I restrained the dog. As soon as that happens, the person is no longer welcome around me. So far, it has always been strangers, so no big deal.

Guy came by the house once, trying to sell meat. Wife talked to him through the storm door, he was asking to come in and show her the product. She said no, he put his hand on the door handle. She simply stepped back, and let our male GSD get between her and the door. Dog was not happy with the guy, and showed it. Guy decided to ply his trade elsewhere. Good for him, wife would have shot him if he entered, which would really suck after being dog bit.
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Leave it to a bike rider to name his dog after Safariman, then expect it to be a bear killer.

Egad! One of the dumbest posts ever on here!
shocked

Patrick Cleburne, like me, had his roots in County Cork cool

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Cleburne

I am genuinely shocked you didn’t make the connection, did you attend public schools?

Cleburne kills rodents and chases cats, all the aggression I need in a dog cool

Cleburne Claiborne; tomato potato, I did go to school and I thank God (even though no one believes in Him) that when I did go to school, teachers taught educationally worthwhile data and not new age philosophical crap learned from the academic bankrupt institutions that you are a part of.
Posted By: slumlord Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/13/20
lmao
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/13/20
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/15045309#Post15045309[/img]

These guys don't like you if they don't know you .

Attached picture slims mom and dad.jpeg
Posted By: deadlift_dude Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/13/20
trust the dog.
I have one dog that won't even let me pet him .
Posted By: deflave Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/13/20
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn

Try using your hand instead of your COCK.

Good idea I will try that . LOL
Originally Posted by RAS

Anyone else see this?

The only family member that my male Doberman (back in the late 1980s, through the early 2000s) didn't like was my sister in law. She was scared of him. Whenever she would enter the house, she'd slowly open the door, and slowly peep her head around the door to see if the Doberman was around, which naturally triggered him to bark, followed by her quickly shutting the door. Even I can see that this is suspicious behavior on her part, so a dog would naturally perceive it that way, too. Some people just don't know how to behave around dogs.

Might have something to do with her being ethnically Chinese (immigrant to the US). I don't know, but I don't think that Chinese culture towards dogs is the same as ours. Maybe that can come across to dogs, sometimes.

PS She's a sweet person. Just not a dog person.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/13/20

Maybe you forgot the peanut butter. LOL
Originally Posted by Mike_S

Maybe you forgot the peanut butter. LOL

You and Deflave really know a lot about dogs . Thanks
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Cleburne Claiborne; tomato potato, I did go to school and I thank God (even though no one believes in Him) that when I did go to school, teachers taught educationally worthwhile data and not new age philosophical crap learned from the academic bankrupt institutions that you are a part of.

If you're slick you can sneak stuff under the radar.... wink

I've given bonus points for all sorts of things, one year I gave 'em bonus points if they would bring me a 40lb bag of dried cow sh&t (for the school garden of course. smile ) Never did that again, these little 90lb girls were dragging 40lb bags of Black Cow down the hallways and I ended up with like 600lbs of the stuff. What amazed me is not a single parent complained grin

But then one year I offered kids bonus points if they could find and photograph local objects of historical interest, including the gravesite of Samuel Walker. Sam Walker of course was the guy who went to Sam Colt and had him build the legendary Walker Colt. Capt. Walker was lanced twice, once by a Comanche lance up by present day Sisterdale and fatally in Mexico during that war, brung back to San Antonio for burial.

One hundred seventy years ago the Oddfellows Cemetery about a mile uphill from the Alamo off of Cherry Street was a respectable place, in more recent times Cherry Street was a notorious area of drugs, gangs, murder and prostitution. These two guys actually went in there looking after dark eek

Point of interest, some of the charred remains of the Alamo Defenders were dug up from Downtown in the 1850's and reburied next to that stone.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/13/20
Dogs just know.

I've given bonus points for all sorts of things, one year I gave 'em bonus points if they would bring me a 40lb bag of dried cow sh&t (for the school garden of course. smile ) Never did that again, these little 90lb girls were dragging 40lb bags of Black Cow down the hallways and I ended up with like 600lbs of the stuff. What amazed me is not a single parent complained grin

If you can’t see a problem with the educational system and you do things like that to teach kids something everyone of the older generations knew without taking BS to school, you are still a part of the problem. If you are contributing to their knowledge base because they are uneducated, you still have to admit the system has deteriorated immensely, even if you aren’t part of the problem.

I will allow you the grounds for competence as an educator if you do teach valuable lessons, but if you don’t see the void in modern education from grade school to the university system, you are an unworthy educator.
Posted By: smarquez Re: A question on dogs.. - 07/13/20
We have a mini Aussie that has done that exactly 2 times and one guy she did from about 100'. All the guy did was get out of the truck. She glanced over and gave a growl we never heard before. 4 hours later we called the cops because it looked like he was going to beat his girlfriend.
I will allow you the grounds for competence as an educator if you do teach valuable lessons, but if you don’t see the void in modern education from grade school to the university system, you are an unworthy educator.

I've been called worse around here. Like every other teacher what I teach is based upon the TEKS "Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills" and my lesson plans and assignment materials are completely online and transparent. Do, I lead kids in prayer before class? Nope, not allowed to but we do have the moment of silence right after the Pledge and we do have both a Christian Club and a Fellowship of Christian Athletes who meet around the flagpole out front for prayer regularly.

Anyhoo... I'm pretty sure I musta given a wrong answer in your estimation but to get you started if you care to look, this is what is on the curriculum for 6th Grade History...

http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/rules/tac/chapter113/ch113b.html#113.19

Meaningless without active parents tho, both to keep an eye on what is presented in class and to raise their kids right.
© 24hourcampfire