Home
Posted By: mart Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
I turned in my resignation today and will enter the ranks of the retired on September 11. I hadn't planned on retiring this early but I came to the conclusion I cannot buy these years back. My wife was diagnosed with early onset dementia last year. Not real noticeable yet to most, but I see the progression. I want to spend time with Etta while she is in reasonably good physical health and before this insidious disease takes it toll and we cannot do and enjoy the things we've always loved.

There will come a point when I have to care for her daily. Maybe in a year, maybe in ten years. That's the reality of dementia. I didn't want to work up until that point and then regret missing these good years when we could enjoy being together. It will be a big change but we are in a pretty good place financially. I'll still do some fill in work for the company and still have my credentials as a firearms instructor and wildlife intervention instructor and will do classes from time to time for the company.

And I have the sawmill. I'm looking forward to the freedom to run it without the demands of a full time plus job. It has turned a pretty good bit of business for me already this year. The beauty of the mill is it doesn't call me on my off time. It doesn't text me with the latest emergency as I'm walking in the church doors Sunday morning. And it doesn't mind if I want to take a day off to spend it with Etta.

So retirement here I come. I wasn't sure I'd actually get to this day.
Posted By: kingston Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Good on you Mart. I wish you two many happy days.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Congratulations! Enjoy YOUR time.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Congratulations. You've earned it, and I hope you enjoy it as much as possible.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Good luck.

Glad you can spend some time.
Posted By: ERK Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Enjoy your time together. Retirement is a start not an end. Edk
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
I think that’s a good decision .

Happy Trails

Bob
Posted By: slumlord Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
You both need to go knock out some bucket list sightseeing destinations.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Wish i would have done that years ago now. Didnt want to quit seeing patients i had seen for years and considered as friends. Didnt trust other eye docs to take care of them. Eye docs are sometimes a crazy lot. Exept for me, of course.

Now i fear i dont have what it takes to do the fishing i worked to retire to do. Theres another eye doc in town needing some help. Ha. Poor bastid. Wonder if i should go help him out.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
A decision, I too would make, if ever faced with same.

😎
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Congratulations...
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Sorry to hear about your wife. Hopefully with the advances in medication, the onset will be postponed as long as possible. Good job regarding your priorities, I admire that! Enjoy your retirement!
Posted By: Brazos Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Good decision.

Enjoy, and best wishes for Etta.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Good man.
Good decision.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Originally Posted by mart
I turned in my resignation today and will enter the ranks of the retired on September 11. I hadn't planned on retiring this early but I came to the conclusion I cannot buy these years back. My wife was diagnosed with early onset dementia last year. Not real noticeable yet to most, but I see the progression. I want to spend time with Etta while she is in reasonably good physical health and before this insidious disease takes it toll and we cannot do and enjoy the things we've always loved.

There will come a point when I have to care for her daily. Maybe in a year, maybe in ten years. That's the reality of dementia. I didn't want to work up until that point and then regret missing these good years when we could enjoy being together. It will be a big change but we are in a pretty good place financially. I'll still do some fill in work for the company and still have my credentials as a firearms instructor and wildlife intervention instructor and will do classes from time to time for the company.

And I have the sawmill. I'm looking forward to the freedom to run it without the demands of a full time plus job. It has turned a pretty good bit of business for me already this year. The beauty of the mill is it doesn't call me on my off time. It doesn't text me with the latest emergency as I'm walking in the church doors Sunday morning. And it doesn't mind if I want to take a day off to spend it with Etta.

I'm so sorry about your wife. I will pray for her recovery.
I just spoke about that issue to a group, some of which know they have early stage dementia, at an assisted living home. .....so I can sympathize.

With the Lord's help, I was able to see a complete reversal of a family member's dementia. He went on to live independently for two more decades. That's all I can say online, but wanted to encourage you.
She is blessed to have a husband like you.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Good decision and best of luck
Posted By: EdM Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Originally Posted by Brazos
Good decision.

Enjoy, and best wishes for Etta.

Indeed.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Mart, I am very sorry to hear about your wife having dementia. I know what it means as my wife suffered early onset Alzheimer's disorder, also. I wish you and your wife the very best.

I suggest you get a copy of The 36 Hour Day book. It is extremely helpful, written by two medical people who have dealt with dementia patients for some time. It certainly helped me when things became more and more difficult.

Best of luck.

L.W.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Best wishes to you and Etta. We only get one turn on this merry go round of life. Seek your happiness.
Posted By: deadlift_dude Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Can't think of a better reason to retire, than to spend more time with family. God bless you and yours.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Good luck and enjoy the free time.
My dad got dementia but his didn't start until his late 80's. They became RV'ers for about 10 years and traveled everywhere in the country. Once Dad's dementia kicked in, though, it progressed pretty fast.
Posted By: 79S Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Congrats! I hope you two have some future trips planned!
Posted By: achadwick Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
You are a good man, mart.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
I wish you the very best mart
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Hoping you have a great retirement and can do wonders for your wife. As if you haven't already.

Good luck with it all.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
I am glad for you. I am also glad that it sounds like you are staying up here. Good people need to stay in Ak and the libby's need to move to Portland. Hopefully, you will have more time to hunt and fish with your wife. They are our better half and you always sound well adjusted. Sounds like you are ready to buy a place out in the basin so you no longer have to pay property tax.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Congrats on retirement. So sorry to hear of your wife's issues.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Good decision mart. I wish the best to you and your wife.
Posted By: broomd Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Smart man, Godspeed!
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
You deserve it Mart, and so does Etta.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Good deal man!
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Congrats Mart. Your reasoning is sound and i truly admire you for it.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Time is the one thing we cannot make....your decision is as strong move and I commend you for it! Bon Voyage!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Prayers and best wishes for your wife, Mart. I hope retirement leaves you enough time to spend some on here....you’re definitely one of the good guys here.
Posted By: Torqued Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Hope the best for your wife. Enjoy the retirement. I can't wait till I can tell them KODA.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Good on you , dude, and I pray you and your wife have some peaceful , loving times yet to cherish.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
wish y'all many more good years.
Posted By: johnw Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
'Bout time you got to the important things...

Good man....
Posted By: bbassi Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
God Bless you and your wife Mart. May you enjoy the rest of your lives.
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
A hard and good decision made by a hard and good man.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Congratulations Mart!! I hope you and the wife have the time of your life.

Prayers for your wife.
Posted By: hanco Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Enjoy your retirement!!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Hope you both have a great retirement!
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
This came to mind.....

http://web.mit.edu/jywang/www/cef/Bible/NIV/NIV_Bible/1COR+13.html
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Enjoy while you can. Time never slows down.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Bless you and your wife, wish you two many years of good health.
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Good man, my wife works for a dementia foundation, PM me if we can be of any help
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Good deal. Sounds like a wise decision.

I am trying to decide how to do this exact thing. The path isn't in front of me yet, but I'm searching for where it starts.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Congrads Brother! enjoy life!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Excellent. Taking care of your girl is Job One. Good man.
Posted By: RNF Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Congratulations, enjoy your time together.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Originally Posted by kingston
Good on you Mart. I wish you two many happy days.

I'll echo my friend, here.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Congratulations, I think you will like retirement.
Posted By: deflave Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Congrats, mart.

You earned it.
Posted By: SKane Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Excellent. Taking care of your girl is Job One. Good man.

Yep. Good luck to you, Mart.
Enjoy a little freedom.
Posted By: DG1969 Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Congratulations. Sounds like you've got your values in good order. Time with family is irreplaceable
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Enjoy Mart!
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Good man, Mart.

For any posers out there, this is the kind of thing a man does.
Posted By: Dess Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
This is the reason you busted your butt all these years. Circumstances aren't perfect, but that's OK. Savor the moment and your family.

Put your wristwatch on a shelf and measure time by a calendar and the seasons. Best wishes to you.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
It sure sounds like the right thing to do. Prayers for the wife, and hoping you both enjoy retirement!
Posted By: KFWA Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
sounds like you've earned. I truly hope you make the most of it
Posted By: lightman Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Congratulations on your retirement! Sorry to hear about your Wife.
Posted By: aalf Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20

Easy decision.....run with it.......
Posted By: jdunham Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
You both need to go knock out some bucket list sightseeing destinations.

You made the right decision. Enjoy your time.
Posted By: tzone Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Ya did the right thing. A man only has so much time on this earth. Spend it your way.
Posted By: Duckhunter Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Congrats Mart........start enjoying life!
Posted By: gunzo Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Congratulations !
Posted By: mart Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Thanks so much for all the well wishes. We don't have any big plans to travel. We enjoy simple things. She fell in love with me because I brought her blackberries I picked on my lunch break when I worked for the Forest Service. I with her because she offered to help me skin coyotes when I was making a living in the winter trapping.

We may sit on the covered deck and listen to the rain on the roof, me with a coffee and her with her tea. Might go for drive to look at the fall colors in the tundra or run out to Chickaloon to have pie with our friends. They have a small cafe. She'll have cherry and I'll have buttermilk coconut. We'll probably watch Quigley Down Under and Second Hand Lions several more times. Might stay up late and go out to watch the northern lights. All without the umbilical of work to distract us.

Thanks again guys for all the kind words.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Originally Posted by Beaver10
A decision, I too would make, if ever faced with same.

😎

Yup, me too, in a heartbeat !

You are doing the right thing.
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
I had to quite work when I was 57, due to problems with my eyes. Less money than I planned for retirement but we live very, very comfortably. Looking back, would not change the things we have been able to do, like spend time with Mom, new Grandson, visit friends, etc.... for the extra money. Live life while you can and you will never regret it.
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Good man sir! Best wishes for a happy retirement with Etta. May God bless both of you in the coming years.
Posted By: huntstat Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Well done........
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20

congrats !

9 yrs ahead of ya
Posted By: g5m Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Good for you!

I'm sorry to hear about your wife. Bummer.

Best wishes!
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Internet wisdom is worth what you pay for it, but let me share a little encouraging first hand knowledge with you. My close friend's wife was diagnosed 11 years ago, they were devastated, but decided to soldier on as best they could, followed Doctors tips for living with it and, a positive attitude, a determination to quality of life...in her case they have slowed the progression to the Doctor's amazement. Aducanumab is too late for her, but, a simple little thing like frequent high protein food portions (jerky for one thing) when she is entering a "spell" has helped wonderfully. She travels with him and I to gun shows and minds the table while we are cruisin' and perusin', and doing darn good. Chin up, brother.
Posted By: johnm856 Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Mart,
Good call and congratulations. All the best to you and Etta.
John
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Congrats Mart, Bless your Wife, hope you both have 50 years left to hunt and enjoy life.
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Congrats on a life well-lived to date with hopefully decades more to come. All the best.

GW
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
That's Great------I'm right behind you---212 Days or 7months or 30 paychecks. April 2nd for me.
Posted By: 79S Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Thanks so much for all the well wishes. We don't have any big plans to travel. We enjoy simple things. She fell in love with me because I brought her blackberries I picked on my lunch break when I worked for the Forest Service. I with her because she offered to help me skin coyotes when I was making a living in the winter trapping.

We may sit on the covered deck and listen to the rain on the roof, me with a coffee and her with her tea. Might go for drive to look at the fall colors in the tundra or run out to Chickaloon to have pie with our friends. They have a small cafe. She'll have cherry and I'll have buttermilk coconut. We'll probably watch Quigley Down Under and Second Hand Lions several more times. Might stay up late and go out to watch the northern lights. All without the umbilical of work to distract us.

Thanks again guys for all the kind words.

Sounds like a perfect plan!
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
in july my back was so bad, i could not get off the floor.
the surgeon said he had never seen a spinal cord so inflamed. I f he hadn't caught it, another coupld of days i would have been dead or paralized from the neck down.
so a week in the hospital, a month in rehab, and i am home using a walker and a chair. I can walk with the walker, and legs and arms work, just week.
i have been told i am moving really well given the surgery.
One of the things it prompted me to do is q uite working. I really stopped needing the money a long time ago, b ut working since i was about 9, hard to pull the plug.
but my job now is the rehab,and i don't want to miss the start of another dove season like i am doing now.
still haven't shot your revolver yet, dang it.
Posted By: 4xbear Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20
Best decision you could have made. All the best from here. May God be kind to Etta.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Pulled the pin today - 09/01/20

Congrats and wishing you all the best.... and may the Good Lord be kind to Etta...
Posted By: rufous Re: Pulled the pin today - 10/26/20
Marty, I just saw this. Best to you both. Many years to go before that time comes for me. I am happy for you my friend. Tell Etta that you are both in our prayers.
© 24hourcampfire