Home
I'm always concerned as somehow I've managed to make it past Medicare age with the majority of my hearing still intact. Lots of hearing protection at work and at the range. I'd like to find something easy to wear that gives me the ability to hear as good as I do now (as in a mouse rustling in the leaves) without having the need to amplify sounds.

Ducks Unlimited sends me an e mail now and again and I mostly delete them as I rarely duck hunt and have limited money to donate. Today, they were first on the inbox list, so their email was open in the preview window. I saw the hearing protection headline and saw this website to click on, thinking it might be something worthwhile.

https://tetrahearing.com/collection...tm_source=Waterfowl%20Pulse%20newsletter

Holey fudge...............For that kind of money I could go to one of the private places nearby on a guided hunt and wear earmuffs and still come out ahead

What do any of you folks use that might be a bit less expensive. Preferably an in the ear type as I don't like muffs when I'm hunting. Perhaps if I was sitting on a stand all day, or maybe in a duck blind, but generally I can't sit still for long.
Good topic.
Suppressor.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Suppressor.

Cali
Peltor Comtac is what I use. Mostly for the enhanced hearing, but the noise reduction is good for that one shot.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Suppressor.

Cali

No, Montana.
The range masters where I shoot occasionally wear hearing protectors that fit in the ear. I don't remember the brand but they're not expensive and you can get them at Bass Pro.
Suppressor.

Cali

No, Montana.

He is in Cali. Suppressor is maybe a no go? At least a real hassle, I am sure.
Only hunt for whitetail bucks these days and it usually only takes one shot, no hearing protection used. I really enjoy the subtle (and not so subtle) sounds of nature.

At the range always use hearing protection.
I'm always concerned as somehow I've managed to make it past Medicare age with the majority of my hearing still intact. Lots of hearing protection at work and at the range. I'd like to find something easy to wear that gives me the ability to hear as good as I do now (as in a mouse rustling in the leaves) without having the need to amplify sounds.

Ducks Unlimited sends me an e mail now and again and I mostly delete them as I rarely duck hunt and have limited money to donate. Today, they were first on the inbox list, so their email was open in the preview window. I saw the hearing protection headline and saw this website to click on, thinking it might be something worthwhile.

Holey fudge...............For that kind of money I could go to one of the private places nearby on a guided hunt and wear earmuffs and still come out ahead

What do any of you folks use that might be a bit less expensive. Preferably an in the ear type as I don't like muffs when I'm hunting. Perhaps if I was sitting on a stand all day, or maybe in a duck blind, but generally I can't sit still for long.

I have something similar to those and they are worth every penny. Mine are made by E.S.P. and were purchased 10 years ago and still work great.

A lot of folks would spend that on a new duck gun but don’t want to spend it to save their hearing.
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Suppressor.

Cali

No, Montana.

Yah, I know he is. LOL It's absurd that a sound suppressor is regulated, restricted or taxed anywhere.

Carry foam plugs and use if you can.
Absurd is right. Some countries in Europe require suppressors to be used. Maybe they are enlightened about some things, after all.
My uncle was an avid whitetail hunter.
He said that the inside the ear models were junk and hated them. That was his opinion when I asked him your question in the last decade. Technology is likely better.
They get hot in bow season, but I like muffs.
😁

Seriously though, Aaro Peltors I find comfortable for 5 +/- hours, then take them off periodically to let my ears breath. Its great as cold weather muffs. Never owned the Howard lights but those will likely be the next pair if these ever go down. The foam is extra soft plus good reviews.
Originally Posted by Mako235

I have something similar to those and they are worth every penny. Mine are made by E.S.P. and were purchased 10 years ago and still work great.

A lot of folks would spend that on a new duck gun but don’t want to spend it to save their hearing.

Thanks, Ill check on the ESP ones. I seem to recall a mention of them somewhere, a magazine article maybe. A thread here perhaps?
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Suppressor.

Cali

No, Montana.

Yah, I know he is. LOL It's absurd that a sound suppressor is regulated, restricted or taxed anywhere.

Carry foam plugs and use if you can.

I do, but for most of my hunting, rabbits, quail and such, they suck. I can never get them in fast enough.

I've got a pair of those ones they make a cast of year and then mold the plugs to fit. Got them on a job a few years back. Work great, they're "vented" so I can hear some conversations, but they do impair my hearing of "woods noises" and those are one of the reasons I like getting out there. Bird, squirrel, bugs, the wind in the trees, etc all are important for me to hear.

As far as I know there is no way a civilian is getting a permit for a suppressor in this state. If anyone knows differently, I'd sure like info on that.

And yes, even the friggen Europeans recognize the value of them. Dumb fuggin movies leading the politicians to believe they are "silencers" and are used by criminals.
I use Sound Gear. They make a hunting and industrial versions. I am hard of hearing so I use the hunting ones. I paid $300 . I got mine from Len at Long Range Hunting store.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
My uncle was an avid whitetail hunter.
He said that the inside the ear models were junk and hated them. That was his opinion when I asked him your question in the last decade. Technology is likely better.
They get hot in bow season, but I like muffs.
😁

Seriously though, Aaro Peltors I find comfortable for 5 +/- hours, then take them off periodically to let my ears breath. Its great as cold weather muffs. Never owned the Howard lights but those will likely be the next pair if these ever go down. The foam is extra soft plus good reviews.

It's hard to find muffs that work well with a fedora or western style had. I hate having them hanging behind my neck.

No more recommendations for muff types please,

unless it's for the other type of muff
thanks gun addict , another for me to check out later.
I prefer a piece of thin grocers plastic bags found in the fruit/veggie section.

Wad it up, stuff it in. Just leave a tag end sticking out.

It expands to fill the ear canal and can be worn all day without irritation and its fairly cheap.
That a little expensive when I can just use my Walkers product for less than $150 .
What?
After a number of years in the military without hearing protection, and many years hunting in CA where I simply didn't use any (particularly damaging when duck hunting), my hearing is now perfect for hunting without hearing protection. Of course, I can't hear a TV unless it's cranked up, but such is the tradeoffs in life.
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
That a little expensive when I can just use my Walkers product for less than $150 .

That's what the range masters at my local shooting range use and they wear them for hours. You can can carry on a conversation with them while they're wearing them. I don't think Walkers is expensive enough for people from California.
I use Walkers muffs in cool weather. And use foam plugs in hot weather hunting.
At the rifle range, I use both plugs and muffs.
My hearing is very damaged from not wearing heating protection 30-40 years ago.
Anyone who does not use the best available ear pro these days has not been paying attention...or couldn't hear the answergrin

mike r
I have been using Otto noizebarriers the last year. I got them on sale for a about $330. Easy charging, hi and low settings, and great sound suppression and stereo amplification if you want it.
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Only hunt for whitetail bucks these days and it usually only takes one shot, no hearing protection used. I really enjoy the subtle (and not so subtle) sounds of nature.

At the range always use hearing protection.

I’m the same, but if I trap a bunch of pigs I use the foam plugs.
Suppressor.

That's a good answer where legal.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
I have a set of Walker Razors I use when I can't wear muffs. They work OK.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Remsen
After a number of years in the military without hearing protection, and many years hunting in CA where I simply didn't use any (particularly damaging when duck hunting), my hearing is now perfect for hunting without hearing protection. Of course, I can't hear a TV unless it's cranked up, but such is the tradeoffs in life.

In a blind reflecting off water.

HUH?

I SAID......

I use Weston Defend Ear ... (hearing aid that cuts out gun shots)

Works great..

I went through 3 sets of Walkers game ear - these are MUCH better... but cost more.

Given the Weston’s are actually a real hearing aid your medical, and cafeteria accounts can be used for them.
i'm almost completely deaf in my left ear, this past march at the hog hunt one of the guys shot his braked rifle while i was standing about 4ft to the side, no heads up to put hearing protection on.
Depends on the kind of hunting. Dove shooting? Sure, I use hearing protection. Still hunting in a swamp for deer? Nope.
When shooting at targets i use hearing muffs.

But when hunting i don't.

I know i have shot but the sound doesn't sound as loud as when shooting at targets.

The rifle don't recoil as much either. grin
Plain old muffs for me - most of my hunting is from a vehicle (sneak up to the dams and drains) so I can leave them on and don't need hearing to detect game - all done by visual. Some dams I drive up behind the high side and get out and walk up with my muffs on.
Thanks for all the replies folks.I'll look into the ear pro, Westons,, and Walkers.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Suppressor.

That's a good answer where legal.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The way you're holding that bull makes your rifle look really big! grin
I like these for rifle hunting. Good to have when you are with others.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001DZO87M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5FbzFbDSD3RWK

Wear both plugs and earmuffs at range.

The duck hunting is where I really need to focus. I've started wearing a walker game ear plug, but it isn't ideal, messes up calling and they annoy me. That where my hearing damage will/has come from.
i do a hearing protection talk at hunter ed and include a piece on hearing protection while hunting. if in an enclosed hut, tent or blind you SHOULD use hearing protection. one of our instructors (who usually bow hunts) shot a rifle while inside a blind and lost hearing on one side. exposed in the woods, not as big a deal for obvious reasons. in either situation, use electronic muffs. They are adequate since you aren't shooting many rounds, usually just one. You can converse and hear game, and they keep your ears warm. This will prevent severe ringing or hearing loss. You can get cheap Howard Leight ones now for around 50 bucks, or you can spend a hundred bucks or more for Peltor or Game Ear, few others...probably work a little better, but i don't believe they are necessary while hunting.

at the range is different and muffs will not provide adequate protection, especially indoors.
At the range I wear foam plugs and ear muffs over those.
Originally Posted by sse
i do a hearing protection talk at hunter ed and include a piece on hearing protection while hunting. if in an enclosed hut, tent or blind you SHOULD use hearing protection. one of our instructors (who usually bow hunts) shot a rifle while inside a blind and lost hearing on one side. exposed in the woods, not as big a deal for obvious reasons. in either situation, use electronic muffs. They are adequate since you aren't shooting many rounds, usually just one. You can converse and hear game, and they keep your ears warm. This will prevent severe ringing or hearing loss. You can get cheap Howard Leight ones now for around 50 bucks, or you can spend a hundred bucks or more for Peltor or Game Ear, few others...probably work a little better, but i don't believe they are necessary while hunting.

at the range is different and muffs will not provide adequate protection, especially indoors.

Thanks, but I don't wear muffs while hunting, I need the inside the ear type.

And yes, much louder inside, when at the range it's been foam plugs and muffs for many years now.

But outdoors is no fun for me either, touched off a couple of pistol rounds at predators recently, scared off the coyotes and killed a fox. I've now got a pair of muffs by the back door to grab if I need to go out with the gun again.

how come?
Originally Posted by sse

how come?

I mainly, as in 90% or more of the time still hunt. Or hike to a place to sit for a few minutes to watch/glass. And much of the time I wear a hat, a good portion of that time I wear a fedora style hat. Not conducive to the headband on the muffs.

And I hate trying to wear them with the band behind the neck either.

Couple that with the fact I will rarely, very rarely wear a hood as I don't much like anything covering my ears as then my awareness of my surrounding is blocked out. Not only for the reduction in hearing but also peripheral vision. And the muffs are hot.

If it's cold enough, as in down near zero, I'll wear a beanie hat and a scarf along with a high collar on a wool jacket. And even then I don't like it much around my ears.

I wear muffs and plugs at the range. Used to wear them at times at work, but even then I preferred plugs. If just walking into the engine room for a minute, then popping back out, I'd grab the muffs rather than put in the plugs. But if I was going to be in there for awhile, plugs it was.
Acu-Life

I have been wearing these for bird and duck hunting. Will try them this fall deer hunting to. They are comfortable and allow most normal sounds to pass through.
Originally Posted by Remsen

Remsen
Doesn't that make what little hearing that remains all the more precious and worth protecting? My hearing sucks -left ear in particular from hunting, loud music- drums and power tools. I don't even weed eat without plugs now. PLEASE protect what hearing you have! EVERY single shot.

I have friends that rely on me to get them to the range or out for some blasting and will not let anyone shoot my pistols without ear plugs. All have become accustomed and appreciative. I keep those plug on a string around my neck when in the blind. I feel so much better after shooting even just one shot when I have them in.

I have an inexpensive electric muffs that don't deaden enough for the range but did enjoy wearing them as I walked around my old lease often jumping hogs. The amplified sounds were a fun part no one mentions. It made every footstep seem like you were on corn flakes so it helped teach you stealth.

Some of the foam types do better than muffs. I have them scattered in my back pack, truck nooks, shaving kit..... I look for a 30db minimum in stuff and have been glad when I get to the range and inevitably sit next to the win mag muzzle break guy.
I started wearing these this year for turkey season and I was impressed by my ability to hear gobbling and other sounds.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/howard-leight-impact-sport-electronic-earmuff
I'm pretty much deaf in my left ear and wicked tinnitus in the right. I still can't tell which direction the sound comes from but I plan to try them for deer season as well.
I have been using these electronic earbuds for trap shooting events this year. They are quite effective and much better than muffs in hot weather. Easy to adjust the volume using the smart phone app.

https://www.walkersgameear.com/silencer-bluetooth-rechargeable-in-the-ear-pair/

A little wind noise like most hearing aids, but not too bad. I am going to try pheasant hunting with them this year.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Acu-Life

I have been wearing these for bird and duck hunting. Will try them this fall deer hunting to. They are comfortable and allow most normal sounds to pass through.

Not sure what happened, but you link takes me to

homeimprovement.com or some such.

even though when I look at it in the address bar is says allegromedical...

I'll search for them though,

thanks.
Originally Posted by Jerryv
I have been using these electronic earbuds for trap shooting events this year. They are quite effective and much better than muffs in hot weather. Easy to adjust the volume using the smart phone app.

https://www.walkersgameear.com/silencer-bluetooth-rechargeable-in-the-ear-pair/

A little wind noise like most hearing aids, but not too bad. I am going to try pheasant hunting with them this year.

Jerry

Jerry, thanks for the link. I have heard of Walker's before , didn't know about this model.

Please let us know how they worked out while pheasant hunting. That's exactly the type of thing I'm interested in. Personally, I couldn't imagine wearing a pair of muffs for walking a field or sagebrush flat for gamebirds.

If you don't want to start a thread about your experience, shoot me a PM .

Geno
© 24hourcampfire