Home
Posted By: denton Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Here in Utah, we are seeing the effect of NOT social distancing. College is back in session, and Covid has exploded in Provo, home to two large institutions. Daily new cases are now running 60 per 100K there, as opposed to 30 in SLC and 15 here north of SLC.

Of course, Covid death rates are much lower than they were earlier, and it might be OK to just let it burn through the student population. I don't know.

If this is what will happen all over, then we are about to see a major second wave, and also appreciate the effects of the painful shutdown.

Personally, I am so "dang" tired of this that I would almost rather catch it and be immune so I can resume normal activity. Almost.
Posted By: huskyrunner Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
I hear that a cytokine storm is a bigger rush than DMT. More seriously, I get the feeling few here give a rat’s tail. Time will tell on all this.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
We’re all going to get it. Why wait? Rip the bandaid off.....
Posted By: 16bore Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
The know-it-all millennials are lining the college dorms to get their CV19 trophy.
Posted By: add Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by denton
Here in Utah, we are seeing the effect of NOT social distancing. College is back in session, and Covid has exploded in Provo, home to two large institutions. Daily new cases are now running 60 per 100K there, as opposed to 30 in SLC and 15 here north of SLC.

Of course, Covid death rates are much lower than they were earlier, and it might be OK to just let it burn through the student population. I don't know.

If this is what will happen all over, then we are about to see a major second wave, and also appreciate the effects of the painful shutdown.

Personally, I am so "dang" tired of this that I would almost rather catch it and be immune so I can resume normal activity. Almost.

Not sure what you are trying to convey with this post?
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
The testing is less than 50% accurate in identifying active cases............................

MM
Posted By: DeadHead Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Oh the humanity
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Don't drink the yellow (communist) Kool-Aid.
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
The testing is less than 50% accurate in identifying active cases............................

MM

And all positive tests are being labelled cases, when they aren't cases at all. And people can have multiple tests that just drive up the test results without meaning anything except an increasing number.
Posted By: kroo88 Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by add

Pretty sure he’s saying he needs to shut the F’n teli’ off.
Posted By: BALLISTIK Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
This reads as Concern Trolling, but in case you are actually in fear, don't worry... Unless you have 2+ underlying health conditions and are 75+ years of age, you have nothing to worry about.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm

MM

And all positive tests are being labelled cases, when they aren't cases at all. And people can have multiple tests that just drive up the test results without meaning anything except an increasing number.

Yep. Not a lot to get worked up about unless hospitalizations take a big spike.

MM
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
We had over 700 cases in the first two weeks in a college here in upstate NY. They closed it down, sent all the students home and are going completely virtual for at least the first semester. Last I read, some of the infected students were seriously sick. The bigger concern is how many older locals did the students infect while galivanting around town. Time will tell.
Posted By: kroo88 Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by Blackheart
We had over 700 cases in the first two weeks in a college here in upstate NY. They closed it down, sent all the students home and are going completely virtual for at least the first semester. Last I read, some of the infected students were seriously sick. The bigger concern is how many older locals did the students infect while galivanting around town. Time will tell.

Yep, you better save yourself and start shootin’ them no good younguns, before it’s too late.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by kroo88

Yep, you better save yourself and start shootin’ them no good younguns, before it’s too late.
I don't live near that college. It's in the next County. They sent them home anyway and the biggest share don't actually live near here. No, they import most of the worthless little commie bastards up here from NYC, about 200 miles South. I wouldn't go to that shyt hole again for anything if you held a gun to my head and a red hot poker to my ass hole.
Denton no one under 20 has died of Covid in Utah calm down.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Is it true that it only takes one of 19 possible symptoms to be ruled covid?
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Talk about scope creep! Remember this whole “flatten the curve” thing was about not overloading the IC rooms at the hospitals. Now it’s the benchmark of fear mongers. The only thing that matters is the death rate and secondary to that, the IC load at the hospitals.

BTW - the age group in Provo has about as much chance of dying from covid as you do at winning the lottery.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
What's the hospitalization rate? How about the death rate? How about the death rate of anyone under 90?

Is the flu still a thing?
Posted By: 700LH Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
The USA with shutdowns has a higher death rate at over 600 per million than Sweden that didn't, and Japan who did not shut down either has a rate of 12 per million
Posted By: huskyrunner Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Keep hearing about the lasting effects. Kawasaki type stuff. Time will tell.
Posted By: add Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Got it.

Mormon milquetoast, again.

Sad!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by Dutch

Said the same thing on my family text with my siblings the other day.

I'm about ready to take a nose swab with a dose just to get it all over with, to heck with waiting for a vaccine.
Posted By: denton Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Not too worried, especially about college age folks. Just interested in seeing how this unfolds.

The one thing that concerns me is my wife. She's 78 with chronic asthma, so she is in about the highest risk group.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Last time i went to the doc they asked me all of the questions.

I had a sinus infection and had several.

They tried to get me to sign the test sheet to get the test but i told them hell no all i had was sinus.

They did drop the demand.

It's crazy.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by kroo88

I don't live near that college. It's in the next County. They sent them home anyway and the biggest share don't actually live near here. No, they import most of the worthless little commie bastards up here from NYC, about 200 miles South. I wouldn't go to that shyt hole again for anything if you held a gun to my head and a red hot poker to my ass hole.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. People catch colds all time and some even die from the complactitons. How many people do you know that have died from the China flu? That's how you determine the risk factor, everything else is just BS that might or might not be true.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Still not as bad as crabs.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
the local colleges are going thru that now - it seems like it has a 3 week span and then they figure out how to deal with it on campus and move on.

My daughters school had some very high numbers at first, now they have gone down and the school has lifted some of the restrictions. Their fear of overwhelming the health care system seems to have passed. I would expect them to be back to whatever is normal pre-vaccine in 2 -3 weeks.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20

You say 'cases' but how many are sick? Or, are they just tested as positive? There's a huge difference. A positive test when there are no symptoms can mean only 2 things: the person has been exposed and the body is fighting it off, or the test is faulty. Counting healthy positive tests as having the disease is the most fraudulent act we've seen in this country in many years.
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
The grandfather and grandmother of a client that I was working with last week tested positive. He had two positive tests before a negative and was off work for 2 months. Grandma had three positive tests before testing negative. The health department for their county, based on CDC guidelines, told them that they were not contagious (per grandpa). No one in their family contracted the virus from them nor were they symptomatic.

Anecdotal evidence but enough to convince me that there is a heightened level of anxiety that has needlessly caused excessive harm to our country.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20

Kentucky's voluntary covid-19 testing is rather curious in that they are limiting testing to only 1 hour window of availability at single location in smaller population counties and just 2 hours in counties with larger populations, and even then just one day, once or twice a month. It's almost as if they only want to administer just enough tests until they achieve a desired percentage peak of positive results.

Originally Posted by 700LH
The USA with shutdowns has a higher death rate at over 600 per million than Sweden that didn't, and Japan who did not shut down either has a rate of 12 per million

Probably because we (usa) have a lot of obese geezers that live on prescription medications and soda...when they get the 'rona its curtains..
Posted By: efw Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Sorry to hear about your wife’s compromised situation Denton.

This is a load they’ll leverage to justify lack of debates and mail on voter fraud.

Period.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
If people would wash their damn hands!...

Poor hygiene is what is making this crap spread....
especially via minorities.. that have poor hygiene habits...

the number of cases per million is lower in Japan or Sweden... because people use a bar of soap and wash themselves often...
washing hands has more potential to stop the spread than wearing these damn masks 24/7 iMHO...
Posted By: _B78_ Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Had neighbors “test” positive without taking the test in the first place. Got tired of waiting in line and left. Same neighbors 2year old “tested positive” but no one else in the house ever got it. We all got tested cause we all pile up and eat at one house or the other every night. None of us even have the antibodies. Makes about as much sense as wiping before you poop.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
I live outside a college town. They do 700 tests per day, and surprisingly they are getting record number of cases. It is in the paper every day. Headlines like politicians staggered by the record number of cases and don't know how to stop the covid. Meanwhile my wife is a nurse, and the hospital has zero covid patients. They have opened up elective procedures 100%.
My math says, more positive cases with no bad illness is good. This fear pumping is really getting old.
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by Terryk
I live outside a college town. They do 700 tests per day, and surprisingly they are getting record number of cases. It is in the paper every day. Headlines like politicians staggered by the record number of cases and don't know how to stop the covid. Meanwhile my wife is a nurse, and the hospital has zero covid patients. They have opened up elective procedures 100%.
My math says, more positive cases with no bad illness is good. This fear pumping is really getting old.

Exactly. Unfortunately, Far too many have been lathered up into a froth with Scientism rather than science as the means to inform their decisions and opinions.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
60 per 100,000

At this rate it'll take 10 years to get herd immunity!
Come-on man, y'all gotta start licking more handrails!
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
College freshman I know in North Texas, a top athlete in exceptional shape, got it and was in the ICU for a spell, was considered for a ventilator to hear him tell it. Now at home felling like schidt and recovering.

So it can make young folks sick too.

He was planning on the Military, I hope this don't screw that up.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Denton, you of all people know that numbers lie and liars use numbers.

You and yours as well as me and mine are well into the susceptible age zone for this thing. But no more so than for cancer, pneumonia, diabetes, heart disease...

It is wise to protect oneself from likely injuries. That's why we wear a seat belt in a car and a PFD in a boat. And lately, a mask in a store. But the chances (there I go using numbers!) of wrecking, drowning, or succumbing to COVID are pretty darn slim.

I'm neither blase nor afraid.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm

MM

THAT!!
Posted By: ribka Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by add

fear and uncertainty
Posted By: GunTruck50 Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20

Trump and his Radiologist advisor want to go for herd immunity. What Trump does not tell you is that

will result in between 2.5 million deaths and 6 million deaths. Just a great idea. 10 countries in

Europe have stated there second wave of COVID-19 outbreaks. Get ready it may be a long winter.
Posted By: ribka Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Not too worried, especially about college age folks. Just interested in seeing how this unfolds.

The one thing that concerns me is my wife. She's 78 with chronic asthma, so she is in about the highest risk group.

Much fear during the regular flu season the past 25 years?
Posted By: Springcove Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by GunTruck50

Trump and his Radiologist advisor want to go for herd immunity. What Trump does not tell you is that

will result in between 2.5 million deaths and 6 million deaths. Just a great idea. 10 countries in

Europe have stated there second wave of COVID-19 outbreaks. Get ready it may be a long winter.

My hell you are dumb.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
More reported cases, no spike in the Covid deaths. BFD, just turn off CNN.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Probably because we (usa) have a lot of obese geezers that live on prescription medications and soda...when they get the 'rona its curtains..

Lifestyles and medications available
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by Dutch

Well, its keeping us from getting pneumonia and the h1n1 deadly swine flu.

Can someone post again the graph showing the drastic decline in flu and pneumonia deaths?
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
The Chinese flu is the gift that keeps giving. Muller ran it's course. They needed something more lasting and ongoing. They could not generate fear through Muller but they have with this virus. I expect this to be an ongoing tool for the libs for some time.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by GunTruck50

And you want to go for Chinese communism. How many did your buds Mao and Xi kill?
Posted By: efw Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by IZH27
Originally Posted by Terryk

Exactly. Unfortunately, Far too many have been lathered up into a froth with Scientism rather than science as the means to inform their decisions and opinions.

Yep the narrative has been set and there can be no deviation from it! This saith the priests of the New Fundamentalism.
Posted By: Etoh Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Lifestyles and medications available

the obese problem is not relegated to geezers. the problem is late mature onset diabetes, which has a wider age range. and the condition is insulin sensitivity, or allergy. The immune system is already working overtime and "its" resources cannot be be retasked for a covid invasion.

tests are useless, if your negative, wait 5 mins. then retake.

personally my chances are better with covid any day than the person driving next me on the cell phone.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Brace Yourself--Covid - 09/18/20
"the obese problem is not relegated to geezers. the problem is late mature onset diabetes, which has a wider age range. and the condition is insulin sensitivity, or allergy. The immune system is already working overtime and "its" resources cannot be be retasked for a covid invasion. "

Each 'pandemic' going forward will most likely hit us harder and harder as the physical condition of so many continues to deteriorate.
© 24hourcampfire