Home
I don't drink enough water..makes me piss too much. I need to drink more. Has anyone tried the flavor powder you can add to water for taste? If I'm not really thirsty water doesn't appeal to me much. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I like water, our from the well is especially good, so I can't help with the powder things.

Get some plain seltzer/sparkling water and mix with some fruit juice or maybe those Kern's Nectars. It's what we did when we lived in the low desert and had to drink a gallon + of fluid a day to stay hydrated. After 2-3 quarts even a guy like me that loves water had to do something to get the rest of the gallon a day in me.

Now, I probably drink a minimum of a half gallons a day as it is in the high desert.
1.5 gallon a day of h2o
Coffee in the early morning, water at noon meal.
I have used the little packets that flavor a bottle.
The kids don't like water much, so that helps.

We did a zoo/amusement park 2 day trip a couple years ago.

Both places left us bring stuff in, and the youngest was in a big stroller
with room for a soft cooler.

In two day we went through 2 cases of water and a couple boxes of flavoring.

$5/case x2 + $5 in flavoring=$12

$2.50 a drink at the concessions x the 48 bottles we drank.

I REALLY liked it after that trip.
The standard rule if you are doing any measure of physical work is 1 oz of water for every 2 lb of body weight. This was a wildland firefighter standard back in the day. If you were actively fighting fire or in extremely hot conditions you should expect a double that number.

I weighed 240 lb at the time so 120 oz of water. I rounded it up to a gallon. And double that when the work got brutal.
Crystal Light if you got crappy tasting water.

I'm a sweater. So I've never had a problem drinking enough water. Just got to make sure Im getting enough salts during heavy hot work.

I used to be able to down a half gallon at a shot when working out in the 100+ sun next to 120+ asphalt.
of course if you can drink it, it is mostly water.
Half gallon- 4x16 ounces. Double that if hot or exercising.
I love the the Propel grape powders. So does my GSP. They are not cheap though.

It is worth mentioning that beer is mostly water.
What are those things?

Mios or something?

We bought some for the kids a long time ago.

They seemed to like them.

I drink a gallon plus every day. Nothing in it.
Enough to stay clear in color.
I like the beer flavored water.
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]
Originally Posted by ironbender

laugh laugh

I drink LOTS of water.

Tea, Coffee, Coke, Dr. Pepper, Crush Orange, Root Beer, etc. etc.

Seriously.... not enuff water.

Jerry

not enough....

Our water is good......just don't drink enough

Been on the Gatoraid kick this summer
Us heart disease folks are told to stay away from sport's drinks.
30 oz twice a day...
Posted By: JonS Re: How much Water do you drink ? - 09/20/20
Kidney stone 25 or so years ago has me drinking 6-8 qts a day. Yep I pee a lot. Also no other kidney stones! Fair trade in my book.
Can’t help with flavor. Never tried it, like water too much
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
I don't drink enough water..makes me piss too much. I need to drink more. Has anyone tried the flavor powder you can add to water for taste? If I'm not really thirsty water doesn't appeal to me much. Any suggestions? Thanks.

These all taste good to me. Beauty in the eye, sort of thing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This pic will disappear in a few days for pic management. So...
3 flavors of Hawaiian Punch, Lemonade, & Crush Orange (really)

I like em.

ps: I also drink Sunny D and homemade Lemonade.

Oh yea........kidney stones........

been there done that...twice IIRC
I drink a couple of quarts a day. I add crystal light. Helps get it down. Tough for me to drink straight water.
Originally Posted by jwall

laugh laugh

I drink LOTS of water.

Tea, Coffee, Coke, Dr. Pepper, Crush Orange, Root Beer, etc. etc.

Seriously.... not enuff water.

Forgot - I gots to have my French Vanilla Cappuccino EVERY morning!
Originally Posted by CashisKing
The standard rule if you are doing any measure of physical work is 1 oz of water for every 2 lb of body weight. This was a wildland firefighter standard back in the day. If you were actively fighting fire or in extremely hot conditions you should expect a double that number.

I weighed 240 lb at the time so 120 oz of water. I rounded it up to a gallon. And double that when the work got brutal.

On a warm day on the farm doing physical work, 3 or more gallons is not unusual. It really depends on what is going on, temperatures, physical activity. On warm hunting days, I have to plan around water sources, or it would be a short hunt.

Winter time, just piddling around, probably half gallon a day, mostly in herbal tea type of drinks, as the farm well water is undrinkable. The redhead adds ginger / cucumber to her drinking water to increase palatability. Seems like a better choice than a bunch of chemicals from a packet?
On the water topic, why when I ask for water at a fast food joint/place, do I get a smaller cup tan my wife's cola cup?
Posted By: BCBC Re: How much Water do you drink ? - 09/20/20
40 years old. Usually a bit more that 2L. Lots of activity, more.
"I don't drink enough water..makes me piss too much."

What do you call pissing to much? I don't how old you are but if you don't drink enough water you likely have kidney stones in your future. If you wait until your mouth is dry before you drink water you've waited too long and are already dehydrated. If you're sweating a lot you need to drink enough water so you piss as often as you do when you're not sweating. We worked at the deer lease all day yesterday and drank a lot water/Gatorade (no beer) all day. I didn't realize until last night that I only peed one time the whole day so I didn't drink enough water even though I thought I had. I've known some men who believed it was a sign of manhood to not drink water when you're thirsty but it's not.

1-1.5 gals a day. Either straight purified water, or flavored with barley, hops and yeast, according to the German purity laws.
"On a warm day on the farm doing physical work, 3 or more gallons is not unusual."

I agree 100! Anybody that says you require a certain amount of water based on your weight is very stupid. When I was a 140-150 lb. teenager many years ago and worked in the summer as a human front end loader/backhoe for a building contractor I could have drank all the water in the 5 gallon water jug we had on the jobsite for 5 men by noon. I always brought my own water jug, a gallon of orange juice and at least 5 sandwiches in my lunch (and it wasn't enough).
A couple of bottles a day. Not enough
A lot.
I don't drink water, fish phuqq in it. - W.C.Fields
Everyone should be aware drinking too much can have adverse effects and water "only" during a lot of physical activity is not enough to replace key electrolytes and maintaining the balance of serum sodium lost during perspiration. I know you've heard the sports drinks pitch but im talking about replacement without all the added sugars that could cause your insulin levels to go wonky. Also your kidneys excrete am average of 1 liter/hour so if you are over working them you may be putting more strain on them than you should.

I'm not a doctor, just someone who likes to promote good health. I average 125 oz of water on less physical days and 100 oz of water and another 64 oz or so of sugar free electrolyte drinks when outdoors working or exercising.

For the OP, try a sugar free powder mix to add to water or try the sugar free offerings from Powerade or Gatorade.
Dude, your kidneys don't excrete a liter per hour, that would be 24 liters or more than six GALLONS per day. More like a deciliter. And just seasoning your food with some sea salt will deal with the electrolyte loss just fine, no need to buy little baggies of chemicals from anyone.
Just plain water, hardly ever. Coffee, and iced tea , and an occasional coke.
I find hops help...
I try to drink at least a gallon/day. I add Nuun electrolyte tabs to 16oz. of water during workouts. When hiking/hunting I am pretty strict about drinking 16 oz/hr and if drinking bottled water I will add a Nuun tab every other hour. Here in the summer I may double that if working hard. In areas of low humidity just breathing hard uses a lot of water. If I am not peeing at east every 2 hours I know I need to drink more. Clear urine is ideal.

mike r
Posted By: EdM Re: How much Water do you drink ? - 09/20/20
A lot as well. My RTIC tumbler is with me pretty much all day wherever I am. In my chair, garage, shop, vehicles, it is always there filled with ice and water. Each vehicle has a gallon in the back seat.
120 to 140 ounces a day, just water, plus a couple beers.
I don't keep track but must be enough because I'm still alive and it's about all I ever drink.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
On the water topic, why when I ask for water at a fast food joint/place, do I get a smaller cup tan my wife's cola cup?

So they can bust your ass when they catch you sneaking a fill-up of Tab from the soda fountain.
On average 70 to 90 ozs. More with any level of physical activity.
I'm always telling myself to drink more water. The stone currently residing in my salivary gland tells me I didn't drink enough water in my younger days working construction. Ice cold beer was my downfall towards a healthy body hydration.
When I'm thirsty. Lots this time of year. Lots of running, hiking, stadiums with heavy backpack, so 60+oz after each work out. Usually drink 32 oz in AM before any coffee.
I drink a lot of water probably a gallon every day . I love coke but only drink 3 or 4 a week .
Originally Posted by Dutch
Dude, your kidneys don't excrete a liter per hour, that would be 24 liters or more than six GALLONS per day. More like a deciliter. And just seasoning your food with some sea salt will deal with the electrolyte loss just fine, no need to buy little baggies of chemicals from anyone.

Sorry, should have been more clear. They are only capable of excreting a liter or so an hour. So your intake/output levels need to be balanced otherwise you are diluting your salt balance.
Drank a bottle at about 8am, 16 ounces

Stayed on the tractor from 11am til about 5 pm in the sun all day. Didnt even have anything to drink with me. Was 12 miles from the house.

Drank a 32 oz gatorade when I got home at 6pm

Sippin on a can of 7-up now.

No sense in being a camel, I’m not going to chug liquids if I’m not dying of thirst.

I've been tuggin on a 2L diet Dr Thunder all day, just about gone. Had two mugs of coffee this morning.
😃

I suggest taking your weight and dividing by 60.
This is how many quarts per day of water to drink.
More if you are active and sweat much and if you drink a diuretic....ie coffee.

If you are going too much, consider the possibility of an enlarged prostate. It could be other factors, but that one's common.
I see a suggestion above for drinking 16oz per hour when hunting or hiking. Lots of you guys talk of drinking gallons of water per day. Question, where do you carry all of it? If I leave from camp in the morning and I’ll be gone 10-12 hours or more where do I tote a half case of water?

I may not drink enough, I generally have 1 cup of coffee, 1 canned Coke with my lunch, 2-3 bottles of water during the day depending on what I’m doing, a glass of sweet tea with supper and a bottle of beer at night. Typical day above, if I’m building fence or something like that I’ll drink more water but I just rarely find myself thirsty.
Originally Posted by slumlord
sneaking a fill-up of Tab from the soda fountain.

NOW who is a BOOMER ? whistle mad
Hypocrite.
I don't drink enough water.... If I'm not really thirsty water doesn't appeal to me much. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Do it anyway.

I drink 1.5 - 2 gallons daily.
At least a gallon a day, I like water it's an acquired taste and about all I drink anymore....besides coffee.
2 pots of coffee a day = 24 cups of water.
I drink tons at work (hot job) and have only 1 kindey (born that way).
Constant battle, the ol lady always on me about my pee too dark.

Had surgery last week, and our town having water cleaning stuff done, so not drinkable from tap 8 am to 8 pm.........til end of October.

Cheap bottled water is doable, but blah.
Not into designer label water either.

Did tons of juice and bottled water to avoid plug up from surgery, worked.

Big old office water cooler sounds good to me..........one of those big jugs just stuck on a bench.
Brewed iced tea, coffee, Gatorade Zero and Powerade Zero, diet soft drinks, and Michelob ULTRA Pure Gold are all more water than anything else. So I drink a lotta water.
I had a kidney stone about forty years ago. Since then I try to drink around a gallon of liquid a day. Coffee, water, lemonade, and iced tea are probably the most used. We use Crystal Light wild strawberry and lemonade once in awhile. A packet makes twenty ounces.
Water is an acquired taste??

Uh, it might be humans acquired a taste for water...................................before they were human?

Or, for the believers...................in the Garden of Eden.
About 100 oz a day not including a few cups of coffee.
Cherry pepsi for the old guys? 😂
Passed two kidney stones at work.
Maybe a month apart.
None since.

Been a couple yrs.
No water. Just beer and tequila.

Good one !

Second what ironbender said.
A gallon of plain. clear water a day. This is in addition to coffee, mio, etc...so probably 2+ gallons of fluids a day.
Originally Posted by TheKid
I see a suggestion above for drinking 16oz per hour when hunting or hiking. Lots of you guys talk of drinking gallons of water per day. Question, where do you carry all of it? If I leave from camp in the morning and I’ll be gone 10-12 hours or more where do I tote a half case of water?

I may not drink enough, I generally have 1 cup of coffee, 1 canned Coke with my lunch, 2-3 bottles of water during the day depending on what I’m doing, a glass of sweet tea with supper and a bottle of beer at night. Typical day above, if I’m building fence or something like that I’ll drink more water but I just rarely find myself thirsty.

Tomorrow I am planning on a hike. 3 miles up from 7200' to 8400' then back the same route to the truck. Temps in the low 80s and around 12% humidity and bright sun. I will start with 3 quarts in a platypus and a 16 oz bottle w/ Nuun electrolyte. There will be an additional 16 lbs. of water that is carried for ballast and will be dumped at the top. When in an area with proven sources of CLEAR water I will carry a Steripen and a 1 liter Nalgene bottle in addition to the Platypus. 12 hours hunting in the mountains for me is usually divided between movement and glassing about equally. I usually carry about 25lbs which includes my rifle.

For me , a hydration system like the Platypus make it easier to stay hydrated.

mike r
Coffee is made with water & I like a splash in my whiskey !
I prefer water over most anything. Used to drink a lot of bottled water but recently (again) got a fridge with ice and water in the door. Love it. Probably 4-5 large drink glasses a day.

But there's times after hard physical labor on a hot day that an ice-cold beer is the only remedy.
Originally Posted by lvmiker

Tomorrow I am planning on a hike. 3 miles up from 7200' to 8400' then back the same route to the truck. Temps in the low 80s and around 12% humidity and bright sun. I will start with 3 quarts in a platypus and a 16 oz bottle w/ Nuun electrolyte. There will be an additional 16 lbs. of water that is carried for ballast and will be dumped at the top. When in an area with proven sources of CLEAR water I will carry a Steripen and a 1 liter Nalgene bottle in addition to the Platypus. 12 hours hunting in the mountains for me is usually divided between movement and glassing about equally. I usually carry about 25lbs which includes my rifle.

mike r

Mike,

you ever thing of just leaving the two gallons of H2O on the top of the mountain in case someone gets up there without any?

Other than the platypus system, my hunting trips are similar to your. I may no go as far, but between the day pack and weapon of the day, 25lbs is pretty close.

Hope you enjoyed the hike and there wasn't too many folks up on the hill today.,
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Mike,

you ever thing of just leaving the two gallons of H2O on the top of the mountain in case someone gets up there without any?

Other than the platypus system, my hunting trips are similar to your. I may no go as far, but between the day pack and weapon of the day, 25lbs is pretty close.

Hope you enjoyed the hike and there wasn't too many folks up on the hill today.,

Nope, I carry the water in 2, 1 gallon plastic containers that cost $12.00 each. I water a Bristlecone, my favorite tree. The hike will be tomorrow, I would enjoy it more if were cooler but I need and enjoy the workout. For me a total of 25 lbs. is max to enjoy the day.

mike r
Must be some nice gallon jugs. Pretty leakproof I imagine. What brand? I can see not wanting to leave them up there .

Don't over water that bristlecone, I hear they like it dry.

Enjoy the hike tomorrow, I missed that earlier.
VD, they are nalgene 1 gal. widemouth square bottles. I have had them a long time and no leaks. I used to train w/ 5 of them in my pack, those days are over nowgrin

mike r
Aha,

good ol' Nalgenes

We used a couple of 1L ones when we did our Sierra hikes with Scouts years ago. Of course, there used to be water every 5 miles on those hikes too, so no need to carry gallons. And we drank from creeks, lakes, and springs without fear of "beaver fever" and I cannot recall any cases of a kid or adult getting sick. Maybe we were just tougher?
I get some every time I see this thread.
© 24hourcampfire