Home
Posted By: JakeBlues Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
When I was on active duty I had a duffel bag in the back of the closet of the essentials in case I was recalled on short notice and had to leave for an extended time. That was kind of unique to my military job though. I know some people have something similar in case the schit hits the fan and you have to get yourself/family out of town asap. How many people have such a go bag and what kind of things do you have in it? I imagine having a good first aid kit, dehydrated food, some essential clothes, and grab a gun and ammo last. Any other ideas?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
I have never been much for "going".

I dont know.
Posted By: logger Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
No go bag because if I had to go, I'd only go to where I am.
Hahaha!

Yep.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
IFAK, spare clothes, water, that's it.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
No.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
Nope, but would take me about 5-minutes to pull supplies together.
When I was young and single, I had a "go" bag.

Now that I'm established with a family, I have a "go home" bag.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
Yes.
No where better to go than where I am at. 6 mos. worth of food prepped, shelter, etc.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20

don't have far to go....

but this will be in my pocket

45 ACP 3"

[Linked Image from d7g7q7y3.stackpathcdn.com]
Posted By: jwall Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
Yes, She is here now. Ready to GO anywhere, anytime. laugh laugh laugh
blush
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I dont know.

UR like me

you wouldn't have to go far
Used to keep a two day bag in the trunk.
Then got broken into...

come find me

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by logger
No go bag because if I had to go, I'd only go to where I am.

A friend says, "If you don't know where you're going, you'll wind up somewhere else".

True.
[quote=tikkanut]

come find me

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Area 51 ?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
Ready

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Posted By: johnw Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
I don't have a "go bag". I don't get too far from a bag kept to keep me comfortable wherever I happen to be. A few basics of shelter, water, fire and food don't take up much room...
Go where?
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
If the SHTF, folks would be going someplace like where I am.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
I have kept a Camelbak HAWG pack geared up for the past 15 years or so. Everything I need for shelter, defense, food and water And comfort for 3 or 4 days.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
Just a few things in each vehicle I call get home bags, or to make a one night stay away from home a bit more safe & dry.

Facing an intruder in your home, or having to go out in the yard in the middle of the night to face intruders in your shed, garage, barn, etc. should have the sheep dog wearing a bag with some "stuff" in it as well. Pretty handy when your sleeping attire doesn't have pockets.
Yes.

I also have pre-positioned necessities at a couple different remote locations....ie, a buddies large off the grid compound in the mountains, etc.

Here at home we’re pretty removed from the craziness of the city so my concerns regarding a “go-bag” are suited to what I anticipate happening here. I have an area and supplies under the house set aside for a nuclear attack. The underground area would offer protection and the provisions are situation specific....ie, iodine, gas masks, etc.

I’m constantly adding to and improving my preparations but no matter how much stuff you have it’s no substitute for knowledge and competence.

Originally Posted by jwall
[quote=tikkanut]

come find me

Area 51 ?

no...my God no..........

wonderful central Utah

John Wayne said

'helluva place to lose a cow'

Posted By: hanco Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
Nope
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Ready

He has the snacks under control.

this Nombe will always help me find my way back to the cooler

Posted By: Bristoe Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
If you feel the need for a go bag you should have already gone.
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Ready

He has the snacks under control.

LMFAO
[quote=tikkanut]

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

GORGEOUS
Posted By: ironbender Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
What are the conditions where a go bag are necessary, vs. shelter in place; with a lot more supplies?
Unless I can fit my parents in the go bag.....I gotta stay here.

They aren't leaving....and I wont go without them.
And then, where are you going that someone else hasn't already got there?

Now you got a whole another set of problems.

Don't run, stay and deal with it.
I have about 10 bags full of everything , Could probably use a few more . grin
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
Yes
Posted By: ingwe Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
Yeah, I have one. Its full of ammo and nothing else. If I have to "go" ammo will be the only thing that is important.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yeah, I have one. Its full of ammo and nothing else. If I have to "go" ammo will be the only thing that is important.

Case of Metamucil?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20

This. I can have the house rigged like Fort Apache in a few hours and Mom is only ten minutes away.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
My Go Bag requires an entire Truck.

It's pretty well stocked.

I live at the end of the road but might have to Go for Family and Friends.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
Single malt scotch and a glass.

^this, I have guns,ammo, and a first aid kit in a day pack. It’s not for running away, but in case I have to go somewhere. My place is my Alamo.
Posted By: Steve Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/22/20
How about a get-back-home bag in your rig? I got one of those.
Posted By: jwall Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
My place is my Alamo.

YEAH ! IF I can't hold em off.... I'll die trying !!
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
The coffee pot and the microwave are here. I have zero intention of going anywhere if it all goes to chit. I’ll just die right here.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
When you live in steep timber country, you're damn right you have a go bag, packed in June, unpacked in November. Nothing quite like a crown fire in view of your shack as a motivator.
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
I lead a different life. My jobs have been mostly in remote areas from northern Alaska to the border with Mexico and from the Atlantic to the Pacific. For nearly 60 years I have left at a moments notice not knowing if I would be back tonight or next week. It has been a fun life in that respect. I have learned a lot about what can come in useful. I carry my "go everywhere" bag in my every day drive. Wont leave home without it. Though a number of my "situations" were life threatening most were just inconveniences. So I carry my 16 pound shoulder bag with me. It consists of various tools, supplies, medicines and personal items like comb, toothbrush, soap and TP. The one item that is in every car, bag and cranny is the plain old 1 gallon zip lock freezer bag. Its uses are numerous from a canteen, waterproof bag for phone and wallet, to a throw up bag to an emergency bathroom. When you are flying in a small airplane over the remote Yukon territory, there are no landing strip when your body says it is time to rid yourself of last nights burrito. Two other things that goes is a hacksaw blade and a rectangular file. Countless uses.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Unfortunately, I am close to town right now. Been looking for a nice piece of land out in the county farther. I envy some of you folks who are already where you need to go smile
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Unfortunately, I am close to town right now. Been looking for a nice piece of land out in the county farther. I envy some of you folks who are already where you need to go smile

Hell....you might hide in plain sight where you are.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
I have a get home bag in my pickup. A AR-10 and live on a hill top. Molon labe.
Originally Posted by tikkanut
come find me

Nice!
Originally Posted by ironbender
What are the conditions where a go bag are necessary, vs. shelter in place; with a lot more supplies?

Too many people nearby. I have a friend on 40 acres about 30 minutes away. Probably head there, until I get my own acreage.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Don’t need a bag, got two commodes.
[quote=tikkanut]

come find me

Area 51 ?

no...my God no..........

wonderful central Utah

John Wayne said

I think he was trying to guess your hunting unit.
[quote=tikkanut]

come find me

Area 51 ?

no...my God no..........

wonderful central Utah

John Wayne said

I’m always envious when I see the picks around your place. It’s easily some of best looking land in the country.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Originally Posted by Steve
How about a get-back-home bag in your rig? I got one of those.

Makes a lot of sense.
Posted By: BigPine Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
My Go Bag requires an entire Truck.

It's pretty well stocked.

I live at the end of the road but might have to Go for Family and Friends.

Yes, family and friends I’ll go through hell for. No matter what
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
I saw what happened when Rita hit Houston in 2005. In my opinion, if the SHTF most people will not be able to anywhere at all, at least nowhere safer. The Hurricane Rita evacuation was just one major city, and I can only imagine the chaos of the same thing happening across the country simultaneously. If you have enough resources to get out where you are, then you're probably in the right place to begin with. I quit maintaining a bug-out bag when I saw how it works...now the plan is to shelter in place, band together with neighbors, and try to keep the peace.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
"J'y suis. J'y reste!"

With credit to General MacMahon!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
We had a largely unnecessary evac a few years ago for Hurricane Hermine. Gridlocked all the roads and sucked the gas stations dry. We had a little rain and wind, and two weeks of crap before life got back to normal. Hell will freeze before I bug out.
I hope I'm wrong but depending on how bad the civil unrest gets in the next year, instead of waiting until I can afford to build, I may just get some wooded acreage and park a 5th wheel and my truck on it for now.
Posted By: DaddyRat Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Not bugging out anywhere. I will stay right here and see what comes. I should be good for a while.... or dead.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7459542/1
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
I'm here for the duration.

L.W.
Posted By: memtb Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20

I’m pretty much living with/in/on my grab-bag. When it gets bad enough here to leave....there will be no place to go! memtb
Posted By: Morewood Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I'm here for the duration.

L.W.

Amen to that, Leanwolf.
Right there with ya.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Me and my families safe place is about 50 miles away. It is not where I reside. God willing, I would have the foresight and jump to bail for that destination before things became too bogged down to do so. That said, we do keep some go bags. Maybe a weeks worth of “oh [bleep]”
Essentials in them. Tarp. Life straw. Rations. K bar. Iodine. Pain killers.. Fire starters. Pistol/ammo. Inertia light. Phone charger. Thermal blanket. Soap. Cash and some precious metal. The usual stuff. Wouldn’t be enough for long, but hopefully to get from point A to point B.
Posted By: willhunt4 Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Get back home bag is always in the truck.
If I get a piece of land, get the well and septic set up and park a 5th wheel and my truck on it, I wonder if the gubmint will say it's a "recreational" property and subject me to limitations as such. Guess I'll talk to the permit center tomorrow.
If I get a piece of land, get the well and septic set up and park a 5th wheel and my truck on it, I wonder if the gubmint will say it's a "recreational" property and subject me to limitations as such. Guess I'll talk to the permit center tomorrow.

It ain't "bugged out" if the government knows where it is.
I don't worry about leaving, I don't worry about staying. We're good with dang near anything that could happen. Our town is less than 300 people, the Missouri River is just east of us a couple dozen miles and nothing but prairie to the west for hundreds of miles. Small tight knit community in the middle of production country with good water. Few places would be better if the scat hit the fan
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I don't worry about leaving, I don't worry about staying. We're good with dang near anything that could happen. Our town is less than 300 people, the Missouri River is just east of us a couple dozen miles and nothing but prairie to the west for hundreds of miles. Small tight knit community in the middle of production country with good water. Few places would be better if the scat hit the fan

Enviable position---provided no one in your community perceives himself as the "natural leader" or "rightful bigdog" of the community.
Posted By: _B78_ Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
don't put you family in stupid places.... think a little. I live in south Louisiana currently. i know the dangers and have family a good friends all over the USA. basically it boils down to knowing the risks and minimizing them. we stayed during laura 50 miles from the eye. there are no trees where i live power was on in 12 hours. my parents that lived next to the Arkansas line was without for a week. everyone was jumpin up and down crying cause we were staying put.....then they wanted to come over..... think things through and dont panic. panic kills and causes suffering, dont be a jerk and have good people in your life.
Not a "Go Bag" but yes to a gone bag! I keep essentials in a bag in my car and truck. If I need to flee my house things have gone really bad fast. There probably isn't anywhere else to buyout to.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
I don't have anywhere to "bug out" to. If I did, I'd already be there.
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Enviable position---provided no one in your community perceives himself as the "natural leader" or "rightful bigdog" of the community.

That's always a risk I guess, where would one go to avoid that possibility?
Posted By: 338Rules Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
If some trigger happy fool popped off a tactical nuke upwind of your position,
How would you know ? How deep to dig ? Just Askin
Originally Posted by 338Rules

If the nukes ever start flying it's going to be a done deal. Those things that got set off in 1945 are firecrackers compared to what's around these days,..and there's thousands of them.

Question of the day, IMO. I think it's vitally important to know your neighborhood. I believe most folks will be happy to cooperate and see some leadership---the kind that naturally would arise.

It's the wannabe tyrant that worries me.
I suppose my son and daughter and their families will come to my house. I don't live far enough in the country yet, but rural enough and like-minded people around me.

Ammo? I have much, but my son has an arsenal of his own.
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Hurricane Box, I live in the South East,

Food, blankets, lights, fire starting, a box of ammo, the weapons aren't in the box, they''re in the truck.
I don't need a bug out bag. I have already bugged out.
Posted By: 338Rules Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by 338Rules

If the nukes ever start flying it's going to be a done deal. Those things that got set off in 1945 are firecrackers compared to what's around these days,..and there's thousands of them.

B : I’m thinking more along the lines of the terrorist dirty “suitcase” devices
Posted By: tzone Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20

Yep.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
I have had a get home bag in the truck for at least 10 years. Sounds like most on here never leave the house.
Posted By: efw Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20

I dont know.

Ha yep I immediately thought of the vid that AS posted from Warrior Poet.
Posted By: shaman Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Well, in way I do. In a way I don't.

I do not have a bag that stays packed and sealed that sits in the corner awaiting SHTF. However, I do have 2 kinda-sorta bags that I've literally been living out of every weekend for the past 19 years.

Bag #1 has an IFAK, clothing, toiletries and basic essentials
Bag#2 has at least one pistol and ammo. and the cleaning supplies

I have a BOL set up at deer camp. The plan has been since the week of 9/11/2001 that we all rendevous there. Should it come to that, I could be out of the house and gone within minutes. We as a family were primed that way long before 9/11 and the farm. When the kids were little, I used to declare emergency camping trips on Saturday @1000 and be out the door by 1015. The family stays ready for that. The kids grew up thinking it was great fun. They never thought of it as SHTF evacuation training.

I'm just as likely to shelter in place, so it's all going to depend on what S hits the F and when.
I hope I'm wrong but depending on how bad the civil unrest gets in the next year, instead of waiting until I can afford to build, I may just get some wooded acreage and park a 5th wheel and my truck on it for now.

That's basically what I have done. I have a travel trailer under a pole barn on 10 acres with water and electricity. A couple of small country stores nearby.

You can't. But no matter what, leaders will always emerge. It's just human nature.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

That's basically what I have done. I have a travel trailer under a pole barn on 10 acres with water and electricity. A couple of small country stores nearby.

Paul, I would prepare to leave Metairie too. I lived in Hammond for 9 yrs. Been in Met many Xs over those years.
I was a NON molested Boy Scout and believe in being prepared. I'm as prepared as I CAN be.
Country
Power
Water
Freezer
Defense MechanismS

I know how to live off the land.
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
I have had a get home bag in the truck for at least 10 years. Sounds like most on here never leave the house.

Speaking only for myself, generally when leaving home, I’m within walking distance. When we go for a big shopping trip, once every 3 to 6 months....we take our little motor home, it is the “bug back home” bag! memtb
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
[quote=tikkanut]

come find me

Area 51 ?

no...my God no..........

wonderful central Utah

John Wayne said

I’m always envious when I see the picks around your place. It’s easily some of best looking land in the country.

another one.......

come find me........

Tikka

Man you are KILLIN me. Love it. Gorgeous
Posted By: callnum Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Without prescription meds most boomers are ded in a month. No sense in running to far.
[quote=antelope_sniper][quote=tikkanut][quote=jwall]

Area 51 ?

no...my God no..........

wonderful central Utah

John Wayne said

-------------------------------------

I think he was trying to guess your hunting unit.
------------------------------------

laugh laugh

Gotta Admit 51 is where they wouldn't 'expect' to find ya.

Love that picture. Thanks for sharing.
For me, I envision kind of the opposite terrain for myself. Just a different personal preference. I would like to get about 10 acres of heavily wooded land, carve out about 1/2 acre in the middle, and build about an 800 sq ft cabin. Natural concealment and privacy, natural wind break, but enough of an opening for plenty of sun to get in and some yard space for a pup, BBQ visits and some garden.
Posted By: CraigD Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Shelter in place, as most have said, is my number one priority. However, I do have get home bags in every vehicle.

I have never actually put together a 72 hour kit/bug out bag, but have tried to store everything that would go into one. If you actually were forced out you wouldn't have to hunt all over the place to find your stuff.

Jake, I understand you choice, however.....if it’s in a real desirable area (as you described) you WILL be close to and surrounded by the “unwashed masses”! memtb
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20

This. I can have the house rigged like Fort Apache in a few hours and Mom is only ten minutes away.

My house IS rigged like Fort Apache.

Mom's gone. Dad's gone.

Bring it on, azsholes.

smile
Besides my "go everywhere" bag, since I live in the forest the wife and I both have a backpack with clothes and shoes in case of fires. A path has been cleared in the forest to drive through in case a fire comes from behind and a 4 wheel drive truck is gassed and aimed into the forest. Also everyone has camping gear hanging around but mine is already in backpacks. So no spending hours looking for everything, it is already ready. My wife thinks the Boy Scouts got their motto "Be prepared" after they visited my house.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Originally Posted by callnum
Without prescription meds most boomers are ded in a month. No sense in running to far.

LMAO.

You'll be wishing we were all dead.

Aszhole commies like you gonna be what stocks boomers with long memories like me's inventory.
Posted By: Steve Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
I do want to say that having something (even my get home bag) handy was comforting when we had that fire that was a few miles away last week.

As much as I love our place, I'd abandon it pretty quick if a fire was coming through the trees.
Posted By: Steve Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
Besides my "go everywhere" bag, since I live in the forest the wife and I both have a backpack with clothes and shoes in case of fires. A path has been cleared in the forest to drive through in case a fire comes from behind and a 4 wheel drive truck is gassed and aimed into the forest. Also everyone has camping gear hanging around but mine is already in backpacks. So no spending hours looking for everything, it is already ready. My wife things they got their motto "Be prepared" after they visited my house.

Sorry, didn't see that before I posted. I agree 100%.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
When I go very far from home I carry some supplies in case I have trouble getting home. Short pump shotgun with extra buckshot. Pistol and extra box of ammo. Water, survival gear, tools, down sleeping bag, good boots, rain suit, insulated coveralls, gloves sock hat. Carry more in winter than summer. Civil unrest I am staying home. Have everything I need here.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Our homes are about 12’ft above sea level and in a tsunami zone. We have 2 bags on self in the garage to grab and go in 15 minutes.

Likely scenario is the sandy soil of our area will be liquified in places making driving the 1/2 mile out and up the mountain impossible.

Pack weight is at fast jogging level for wife and me. Ammo is heavy!

Insurrection, on the Oregon Coast? Yeah, I’m staying home. 😬😎
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20

We are staying here, and we are not a soft target, and we are prepared for the long haul. Rio7
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Originally Posted by local_dirt

LMAO.

You'll be wishing we were all dead.

Aszhole commies like you gonna be what stocks boomers with long memories like me's inventory.

Everytime he uses that boomer word, I am reminded of this;

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

+100, I am the bug out spot for the family!
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Originally Posted by scott_arthur

+100, I am the bug out spot for the family!

Same here, Scott.
And they know it.

Same for my neighbors.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
Besides my "go everywhere" bag, since I live in the forest the wife and I both have a backpack with clothes and shoes in case of fires. A path has been cleared in the forest to drive through in case a fire comes from behind and a 4 wheel drive truck is gassed and aimed into the forest. Also everyone has camping gear hanging around but mine is already in backpacks. So no spending hours looking for everything, it is already ready. My wife things they got their motto "Be prepared" after they visited my house.

You fellas don’t “fire wise” around your home? It’s pushed hard here.
Posted By: las Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
From the look of the Nadler thread, old Jer needs one....
Posted By: las Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
No. She is more like "The Queen of Dink".... smile

Closest I come to what you are talking about for bugging out is when we are at the remote cabin. First thing I do when we get there, (about 50 river miles from the put in spot, and nearly 200 road miles to Fairbanks after that - there is a village clinic where the road meets the river...) is refuel the boat tanks. If someone gets hurt or sick, throw the duffles with the camping supplies in the boat, grab a rifle, and GO! The. boat box, including some food, and containing various other stuff remains in the boat.
Posted By: OldHat Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/23/20
The thing no one seems to count on is that if things get real bad all those places that seem lonely now will not be lonely for long.

Absolutely, I trim all trees 18' up on mature trees, pick up slash and burn every winter, remove all dead standing from my property but my neighbor 50' from my front door is the US Forest Service. They are NOT good neighbors. And no matter how well my property is trimmed , when the fire get into the tree tops nothing you do on the ground will help. When I was a firefighter it was called crowning. I drove through 2 of these burn overs with fire equipment and it is interesting how fast fire travels. When I started down the roads the fire was on one side of the road only but within seconds we were burned over with fire on both sides. Exhilarating to say the least.
Posted By: jwall Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by las
From the look of the Nadler thread, old Jer needs one....

laugh laugh

He certainly looked like it
[quote=kaywoodie] "J'y suis. J'y reste!"

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Pardon me Friend but,

"I'm from the Country.... I'm from the Country "

HUH ?
Posted By: Steve Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/25/20

Absolutely, I trim all trees 18' up on mature trees, pick up slash and burn every winter, remove all dead standing from my property but my neighbor 50' from my front door is the US Forest Service. They are NOT good neighbors. And no matter how well my property is trimmed , when the fire get into the tree tops nothing you do on the ground will help. When I was a firefighter it was called crowning. I drove through 2 of these burn overs with fire equipment and it is interesting how fast fire travels. When I started down the roads the fire was on one side of the road only but within seconds we were burned over with fire on both sides. Exhilarating to say the least.

We do to. But you can't really defend against a fire moving at 20mph.
Late to the meeting guys.
Good topic.
Lots of farmers and old fashioned guys that learned from our parents in spite of the gt education.

Has anyone noticed how the media and pop culture demonizes anything having to do with ol fashioned self sufficiency? I realize that none of us are an island. I'd be surprised if anyone lived on one. Knowing your needs and having a plan B gets us to rely less on the gt and big corporations that want to force us into reliance on them. That's how they exist and benefit.
Posted By: memtb Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/25/20

You and your leftest girl friends keep believing that......many of us will be around to piss on your corpse! memtb
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/25/20
It’s full of Hollywood memorabilia
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Right next to that residential subdivision ? 🤣
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/25/20
[quote=kaywoodie] "J'y suis. J'y reste!"

Pardon me Friend but,

"I'm from the Country.... I'm from the Country "

HUH ?

So am I. Do some research. I’ll give you one hint.

Sevastopol.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/25/20
I could be gone with the family in 15 minutes.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
[quote=jwall][quote=kaywoodie] "J'y suis. J'y reste!"

Sevastopol.

Mr Woodie I’m a friend of yours that you don’t know. I’m not being smart.

I do plenty research work, hunting, & gun related. I’m not inclined to do more here.
Please understand.
Posted By: lonee Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/26/20
When I was on active duty I had a duffel bag in the back of the closet of the essentials in case I was recalled on short notice and had to leave for an extended time. That was kind of unique to my military job though. I know some people have something similar in case the schit hits the fan and you have to get yourself/family out of town asap. How many people have such a go bag and what kind of things do you have in it? I imagine having a good first aid kit, dehydrated food, some essential clothes, and grab a gun and ammo last. Any other ideas?

Oh yeah. 35 lbs of it, minus the food and water. 13 lbs of it it being guns, ammo, accessories. almost 5 lbs of armor, over 4 lbs of night vision-related gear. 2 lbs of clothing. 1.5 lbs of tools, 3 lbs of load-bearing gear, 3.5 lbs of shelter/sleep gear. about a lb of 'miscelleanous" 3/4 lb of trekking poles, less than 1/2 lb of medical kit. 1/4 lb each of fire and light stuff.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/26/20
[quote=jwall][quote=kaywoodie] "J'y suis. J'y reste!"

Sevastopol.

I do plenty research work, hunting, & gun related. I’m not inclined to do more here.
Please understand.

Shucks Jwall! I was just funnin’ with ya! LOL!!!

General Patrice de MacMahon and his troops stormed (by bayonet) and captured the Russian redoubt at Malakoff on the defensive line at Sevastapol during the crimean war. His simple message to his British allies was " J’y suis. J’y reste!"

Here I am. Here I remain!!!!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: lonee Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/26/20
if things go to hell, best get into a well hidden dugout and stay there for a year during day light hours, at least. Everything above ground will be searched, much of it shot up and burned, too. Land is a waste of money and just tells big bro where to look for you. Ask Randy weaver about that part! You dont need to own land in order to have caches and spiderholes there. You have to leave no sign, show no light as you cache stuff, of course. Save the money and use it to buy long term storable food, like wheat berries, powdered non fat milk, peanut butter, mollasses, sugar, salt, spices, non-hybrid seeds, Koolaid, vitamin and mineral suppliments, fish and vet antibiotics. get your vaccinations up to date, too.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/26/20
^^^^🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣^^^^^^^

"Strike hard who cares -- shoot straight who can --
The odds are on the cheaper man."

R. Kipling
Posted By: jwall Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/27/20
[quote=jwall][quote=kaywoodie][quote=jwall][quote=kaywoodie] "J'y suis. J'y reste!"

Sevastopol.

I do plenty research, work, hunting, & gun related. I’m not inclined to do more here.
Please understand.
-----------------------------------------

Shucks Jwall! I was just funnin’ with ya! LOL!!!

General Patrice de MacMahon and his troops stormed (by bayonet) and captured the Russian redoubt at Malakoff on the defensive line at Sevastapol during the crimean war. His simple message to his British allies was " J’y suis. J’y reste!"

Here I am. Here I remain!!!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I can handle that K W ! wink grin

And them's my cinnements TOO. cool
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Do You Have a "Go Bag"? - 09/27/20
I would imagine my house is where my family would end up, so nowhere for me to go. Extra rooms, generator, food, water, guns, ammo, and like minded neighbors on all sides.

© 24hourcampfire