Home
Posted By: hanco Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
I have a half brother and half sister from my mother. I haven’t seen them since the early seventies. I never saw my real father but twice, but I understand he had four more children. I’ve never met any of them, so I have six half brothers and sisters.

Anyone else have half brothers and sisters? Are you close to them?
Not really.
The vaugeries of other people's personalities made that way..
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
I have a half brother who is 6 years older. Although we were raised together in the same home, as adults, I'm not too close to him.
Got a half brother I've never met. About 14 years younger than me.
Posted By: killerv Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
I have a half brother who is sorry sorry sorry. He's older, I didn't meet him until I was 10ish. He retired after 24 years in the air force and has nothing to show for it. He uses people up and moves on to the next, always asking for money. Asked my mother (who is no blood at all to him) if she would cosign on him a 4200 square foot house...that's ballsy. I got involved after that and we haven't talked much since. His wife died a couple years ago and looks like he got some life insurance money and he hasn't come around in a while. Our dad gave him his corvette and he didn't make it half way home before he pulled into a car dealership and sold it for a little cash. I would have loved to have had that car. Last I hung out with him I took him and his new girlfriend to a concert, I drove, bought the tickets, etc.....they did their own thing, didn't offer any gas money, didn't even offer to buy me a beer. Whatever....
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
Broken families are the death of loyalty for most people. frown
I have two half brothers and one half sister. I’m pretty close to all three of them.
After my dad passed away, I found out that Mom and Dad had both been divorcees before they got married to each other. I never asked Mom about it, but I've always wondered if I had any half brothers or sisters.
I have 2 half Brothers and 1 half Sister.My one Half Brother passed back in 2000. We were/are extremely close. Usually the only time I bring up that they are half B&S is if I get asked a medical question in the Drs office. My Mom raised 6 kids on her own and my older half Brothers and Sister helped raise us while my Mom worked 2 jobs.
I would do anything for my family half sibling or not. They would do the same. I am extremely lucky to have the family I have.
That being said Mom did not choose wisely when it came to husbands.
2 half brothers and 1 half sister live about 10 miles away, never met any of them..
Posted By: WAM Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
Would a half-assed sister count? Asking for a friend...
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
Half brother and half sister on my dad's side. Didnt meet them until I was in my mid 30s so not particularly close and I've only saw the brother a handful of times.
Mom also adopted her husband's grand kids so I guess I've got those as well although there's 40 years difference between us
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
These threads on family make me realize how truly Blessed I am.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
My dad's mother passed when he was 15. At 16 he came home from school to find the house locked up, his belongings in the yard, and his father gone. Dad was taken in by his best buddy's family. When they were old enough, they both enlisted in the Army. Despite the recruiter's promise that they would stay together, dad was assigned to a coastal artillery unit in Panama, and his best friend, George, to the infantry. George was killed crossing the Rhine in 1945. It wasn't until after dad had passed in 1988, that I learned that they were half brothers.
I have a half sister 10 years older than me. We get along fine, but only see one another about twice a year.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
I dated a gal and her half sister once, I didnt know that were related but they sure figured it out.

That was my first attempt at dating multiple woman at the same time, it was also my last..........
Originally Posted by JeffyD
My dad's mother passed when he was 15. At 16 he came home from school to find the house locked up, his belongings in the yard, and his father gone. Dad was taken in by his best buddy's family. When they were old enough, they both enlisted in the Army. Despite the recruiter's promise that they would stay together, dad was assigned to a coastal artillery unit in Panama, and his best friend, George, to the infantry. George was killed crossing the Rhine in 1945. It wasn't until after dad had passed in 1988, that I learned that they were half brothers.

I knew a guy who's parents were divorced, as a kid he was close to his biological father, not so much to the step-father that his mom married.

In his teens he found out that his step-father was his biological father, the mom had been having an affair with the guy while still in her first marriage, and that he himself was no biological relation to the man who he had been close to growing up.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
Papa was a rollin stone
Not me but my BIL who's 75 now. His father divorced and remarried many years ago. He and his his sister came from the 2d marriage. Their mother wouldn't let their father tell them that he'd had a son from his 1st marriage so my they didn't know they had a brother until Mom died about 15 years ago. My BIL was very nervous about meeting him but he sucked it up and went to visit. They really hit it off. They look a lot alike and have some common interests. They've become best friends and do things together. Dad was forced by Mom to leave the 1st son out of his will. After she died, and my BIL and his sister got to know the 1st son, they insisted that Dad include him in the will. Dad died this summer and they had a 3 way split of the estate. That was very generous of them as it was a lot of money but they figured that fair's fair. They weren't about to screw up relations with their new found brother over money.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I have two half brothers and one half sister. I’m pretty close to all three of them.

Ditto.

I’m blessed having those good folks as family.
Posted By: Gus Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
if'n one wants to find out how many cousins, etc one has all that has to be done is sign up for 23&me, ancestry or some of the other dna clubs.

lot's of cousins will be identified is my guess, and ya won't hardly know of any of them whatsoever.
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Not me but my BIL who's 75 now. His father divorced and remarried many years ago. He and his his sister came from the 2d marriage. Their mother wouldn't let their father tell them that he'd had a son from his 1st marriage so my they didn't know they had a brother until Mom died about 15 years ago. My BIL was very nervous about meeting him but he sucked it up and went to visit. They really hit it off. They look a lot alike and have some common interests. They've become best friends and do things together. Dad was forced by Mom to leave the 1st son out of his will. After she died, and my BIL and his sister got to know the 1st son, they insisted that Dad include him in the will. Dad died this summer and they had a 3 way split of the estate. That was very generous of them as it was a lot of money but they figured that fair's fair. They weren't about to screw up relations with their new found brother over money.

I've got two cousins in their mid to late 60s who are half siblings but didn't meet until about 5 years ago despite living within 10 miles of each other for the majority of their lives. Dad had a son with first wife who died young, son went to live with her sister/Aunt. He remarried a few years later and had daughter. Apparently all those years the Aunt had told the kid not to speak to Dad or step-mom because they would send him to an orphanage and told Dad that son hated him and didn't want to see him. Years later after Aunt died her other sister finally confessed what had happened.
Am close to my step family, nice people.

Get on Ancestry do a DNA test. There are forums that may help you work thru the possibilities that Ancestry discovers.

With Ancestry you can also transfer the DNA to 2 other DNA sites for free. Family Search from the Mormon church may

help also, they are also free.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
Gawd I hope Im not on any mormon family tree dna. I’d rather have a negro cousin.

It can happen.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
Gawd I hope Im not on any mormon family tree dna. I’d rather have a negro cousin.

Funny thing is GT ain't been able to find any family..........No one will step forward and claim him........
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
One time I found out I have a HUGE number of previously unknown relatives. They just all called me about the same time. I have no idea how they all found me at once. It was right after I won the lottery. laugh

j/k
Posted By: las Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
Hey, cousin. No one told me you had won the lottery. How much? When we getting together?
Four half sisters and a half brother. Both parents were married before. Haven't seen the half brother and sister on my dad's side in over 30 years. Used to see the three half sisters from my mom's side once a year at Christmas. Haven't seen them since 2014. Only one of them I even care to see ever again. The other two are miserable bitches.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
That old saw about blood being thicker than water is crap.
My dad just turned 80 and hadn't seen or heard from his other son in over 30 years and he just turned up this summer. Pisses me off, but dad is glad to see him.
Originally Posted by Marshhawk
I have 2 half Brothers and 1 half Sister.My one Half Brother passed back in 2000. We were/are extremely close. Usually the only time I bring up that they are half B&S is if I get asked a medical question in the Drs office. My Mom raised 6 kids on her own and my older half Brothers and Sister helped raise us while my Mom worked 2 jobs.
I would do anything for my family half sibling or not. They would do the same. I am extremely lucky to have the family I have.
That being said Mom did not choose wisely when it came to husbands.

I been told that being "family" is earned not a birth right.
Posted By: DaveR Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
I've got a half brother and half sister I never met. Dad looked for them back in the day, but could not find them. Bitter divorce and custody battle at a time when fathers were truly considered nothing more than a paycheck. Multiple, multiple court order violations by her, violating visitation orders. Nothing ever happened. Then one day they were gone.

Their mother had changed their names, making attempts to locate after things "settled down" even tougher. He mostly gave up looking back in the 70's. Basically gone without a trace. And in the days of snail mail, and trying to locate someone across the country, it just didn't happen.

The half sister found us about a month after dad passed. Letter in the mail addressed to the old man from a return address with no name from Northern Illinois area. Could tell by the handwriting it was a female of my generation. Mom and I knew who it was before we opened it. Mom sat down, crying, saying "why now? Why not a year ago!".

Dad struggled with it his whole life. He always turned somber around the kids birthdays.

Tough story.

I had intended for some time to go out and meet her...but I guess planes do fly both ways as well. Came close once when we went back to Illinois to visit the W's family, only to find the half sister was going to be out of town and traveling during that time. So we didn't meet up.

We still write from time to time, but the desire to meet her has diminished a great deal. We still follow each other on FB, and she is a died in the wool, flaming, bought the dem BS hook, line and sinker libtard. Extreme liberal. I mean bad. I had to stop her posts from popping up on my "news feed" I think it is, because it was a constant source of aggravation and making me hate her. Daily posts and rants about everything moderate or conservative.

Older brother met her, and thinks I should still do so, despite her politics. But I'm so sick - and have been for years - of the extreme liberal BS, I've cut anyone out of my life who engages in it. Just don't feel like associating with anyone who is assisting with or supporting the politicians and people who are bringing about the downfall of this country. Really don't give a chit who they are.
Posted By: Cecil56 Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
I have a half brother. Had a half sister until cancer took her away a few years ago.

We never called it half. This is my brother or sister.

My stepdad came into my life at 7 years old. They came after that. He was and is more of a dad to me than my real dad.
94 years old now and one of the greatest people I have ever known. Treats us all the same, whether he was the sperm donor or not.

I guess we had the advantage of all growing up in a loving household! Meeting each other as stranger's at 30 years old like some of you, may have been more of a challenge.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Half brothers and sisters - 09/25/20
Wife has a half brother and sister. Dad got around. Both contacted her, but she has only seen the brother.
© 24hourcampfire