Home
Posted By: jackmountain Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Like him or hate him? Seems like a pretty good gig he has going but the whole touchy feely halfway millennial thing he has going gets tiresome. Just shoot a deer in the face and make dinner. No need for the whole “thank you deer for giving your life so we can make snack stick with cheddar cheese” bullschit. Seems like everything has to have deep meaning and a spiritual connection to nature these days. How about some “I need to get some meat in the freezer or starve, so fuch you deer?
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
None of those feelers ever crossed my mind over the years. grin
Posted By: slumlord Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
There are some dudes on the youtube that i watch for arrowheads. They find a good one and they get all emo and chit and drop to one knee and “thank thy great spirit”

lol

Thank ye thy great spirit now i can buy two rocks of crank
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Slum, growing up it was venison, pork or pretty much nothing. It sure wasn’t a religious experience. It was dinner. Killing game had/has the same emotional impact as planting/digging a potato. Bambi seems to have ruined a bunch of [bleep].
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
In my years at Fort Benning, it was much the same for rural Alabama.

Reality is tough.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I don’t mind him getting touchy feely while sporting his Weatherby rifle, wearing his First Lite gear, sighting with his Vortex Binos and scope, trekking those miles in his Schnees boots, and gutting the critters with his signature Benchmade knife.

I still like his show, but the push to product brands on his website and social media pages is too much. Expected With success. Don’t fault him for making money. But the enjoyment of following an average Joe is gone.
Posted By: 5shot Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I don't care for it...seems like some times he is trying to spew some Walden Pond type crap. I also think he is more pro conservation and not so much pro 2A. I'd rather he be pro 2A.
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
He do his thing, I do mine. Mine is take same old rifle, put a few rounds from that multiyear box of ammo in a jacket pocket, and hit the timber in my muck boots and jeans. Kill one or two deer, drag them to the truck, and its to the house for the real work. No real branding but Winchester and Wrangler. And I ain't taking no selfies or getting emotional. I am simply grocery shopping, with about the same level of excitement, only better because I am out in the woods.

To be honest! I don't even know who the man is. Never watch hunting shows. Rather go do it myself if I have that kind of time.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Guess I haven't seen his show enough to notice, but I do generally find the show to be decent. As to the touchy-feely thanking of spirits and animals, I've noticed that too and seen it mentioned by many people as something they do. If they actually do it or are just saying that to appear to be something more than just a hunter, I can't say. It has always seemed like nonsense to me, as no animal has ever sacrificed itself for me. In fact they've been downright stubborn and selfish about running away, hiding and generally just eluding me while hunting. Mind you, a few have tried to sacrifice themselves on the hood of my car, so maybe I should be thankful?
Posted By: TheKid Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Guy at work this afternoon was asking a few questions since he’s about to go on his first elk hunt.
Said he’d seen Rinella wrap a heart and tenderloins in the gut of an elk and roast it over a campfire before eating it. I about pissed myself laughing and told him to have at it if he wanted to ruin the best part of his elk by wrapping it in shiit and burning it over a fire. I reminded him that this is the same dude that ate a coyote and gave himself trichinosis eating a rare bear steak, just who I look to for culinary advice.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I don’t watch the touchy feelings stuff. Blood on my hands has been a part of my entire adult life, both in work and and play.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I am thankful for the critters that go in my belly.

But none of that cosmic hippie chit.

Posted By: BigNate Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I don't mind him yet, and don't mind people who are grateful and give thanks for an animal. I don't like it when they make a big deal out of it. The look at me I'm praying type are generally full of [bleep] people anyway. Kind-of like the pedo catholic priest. Can't say I watch his show but if it's on I will. His "cooking" isn't much different than lot's of people I hunt with anyway. Except I don't use gut's to cook in.
Posted By: berryns Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I don't mind Steve Rinella, if he wants to take a deep dive into fishing and hunting so be it. If he can make a living doing it more power to him. If you don't like him don't listen or buy his stuff.

His show, and podcast in particular, enriches my hunting experience in much the same way reading a good hunting book does. I can say the same for reading John Barsness's musings on hunting and shooting. Both add to my knowledge and experience.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I like to honor the animal I just killed. Smooth the hair a bit, a little pat on the shoulder and a quiet "thank you" before I slit it's belly.

Just me.
Posted By: callnum Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by TheKid
Guy at work this afternoon was asking a few questions since he’s about to go on his first elk hunt.
Said he’d seen Rinella wrap a heart and tenderloins in the gut of an elk and roast it over a campfire before eating it. I about pissed myself laughing and told him to have at it if he wanted to ruin the best part of his elk by wrapping it in shiit and burning it over a fire. I reminded him that this is the same dude that ate a coyote and gave himself trichinosis eating a rare bear steak, just who I look to for culinary advice.

JFC at least get the story right. It wasn’t gut, it was caul fat.

Eastern tenderfeet need to learn a few things.
Posted By: mrfudd Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I don’t mind him getting touchy feely while sporting his Weatherby rifle, wearing his First Lite gear, .

Hard to fault him for hawking First Lite- he (or Meat Eater, Inc) bought the company.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Read his American Buffalo book... it is a worthy read.

He does his homework and writes a decent story. I know Steve a little and his brother that lives locally a bit more. They seem to be tough, bright guys.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I like Rinella. He seems to thrive on working hard and enjoys the tough hunt. Great book also.

Much worse than him out there trying to make a living being TV hunters.

Heck, I appreciate every wild animal that goes into my freezer and can totally understand those that do. I like how he often ties history and early hunting cultures to modern day hunting and why we still have a drive to hunt within some of us.

About the only thing I don't get about Rinella is when he tries to cook something at the kill site. I think that stuff is more done to keep the "meateater" thing going.

Posted By: Valsdad Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Hey Lonny, hope you're getting some hunting in. Should be about time or close to peasant season. I miss that for sure.

maybe Rinella is cooking something on site so he doesn't have to show the folks how to eat a slice of raw liver or heart, like real meateaters do?
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I've met him. He's just a normal guy trying to make it in this world. When I asked him how he liked his outdoorsmans pack he said "you know what, I have one in my basement. Give me your address and I'll send it to you" Sure enough it showed up, complete with feathers inside. Haha. Heck of a guy IMO.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I like his show. Don’t find it over the top touchy feels at all. He can kinda wonder off sometimes but quickly gets back on track.
I enjoy the diverse hunting from different parts of the country.

Not a lot of canned bullschit from a stand over feeders waiting on a buck with its own photo album with a twat in full makeup. I can’t stand those shows.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Rinella I can tolerate ok.

That guy in "Into High Country", Matzinger, makes me want to hurl.
Posted By: Savage_Hunter Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I've about completely stopped watching hunting shows about a year or more ago.
Rinella's was about the last one I could stomach to watch. I know it's sort of contrived to get that "let's eat some of it right now", but much less contrived than most hunting shows hawking the latest hunting equipment.

I can't think of a single redneck whitetail show that I could sit through. I have rarely watched some western hunting shows the past couple of years, mostly because it's different kind of hunting than I can do here.

I'm not hyperspiritual about animals and I don't thank the great earth spirit for providing me meat to eat. I am a Christian, not a "Gaia worshiper" or a druid.
But....
1. I loathe watching guys do their victory high fives and dance around like fools after killing an animal.
2. I hate the statements like "he (the deer) couldn't take that shot". Well, let me shoot you with my 300wsm or 7-08 and see if your arrogant butt can take it.
3. I despise the term "I smoked that deer." or "thunderchicken" or whatever animal was killed.
4. I eschew the naming of animals and shooting them over corn and calling it hunting.

My father taught me respect for God's creation, animals included. I don't worship nature, but every time I kill a game animal or a lamb or other farm animal, I do it respectfully and inflict as little pain as possible to the animal.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I've met him. He's just a normal guy trying to make it in this world. When I asked him how he liked his outdoorsmans pack he said "you know what, I have one in my basement. Give me your address and I'll send it to you" Sure enough it showed up, complete with feathers inside. Haha. Heck of a guy IMO.

Most people that meet Steven come away with a feeling like he took the time to actually engage them. Steven grew up near where I lived for a long time. His Mother still lives next to a co-worker of mine. He was friends with one of my best buddy's, that's how I came to know more of him than just his show. He's a writer....that loves the Outdoors. He grew up as deeply immersed in the Michigan wildlife as he could.

Living in NYC (last I knew) I imagine he has to change up his style to appeal to those around him.

I say good for him, finding something he can do to make a living outdoors....

Frog---OUT!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I don’t mind him getting touchy feely while sporting his Weatherby rifle, wearing his First Lite gear, sighting with his Vortex Binos and scope, trekking those miles in his Schnees boots, and gutting the critters with his signature Benchmade knife.

I still like his show, but the push to product brands on his website and social media pages is too much. Expected With success. Don’t fault him for making money. But the enjoyment of following an average Joe is gone.

He is no Average Joe. Quit watching him because of all that bulshit. Sorry, But, it's just hypocritical. I'd rather watch the Canadian with the great big LEUPOLD on the side of his scope.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
He isn’t much different than Brent Danielson. A two faced liberal that likes to hunt, but still supports the environmental and left wing side of politics. They both think that because they are associated with guns and hunting, they get a pass and belong with real outdoorsmen.

Couldn’t be more wrong.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
He’s a good story teller slowly being overshadowed by the economics of having a brand. The first couple of seasons of Meat Eater seemed more “regular dude like me”....then his camo outfit had to match and rifle stickers had to be prominent. Everyone here would trade a CCR for a Savage, right?

I think we’d all do the same given the opportunity to make a living though. Face it, newbie millennial hunters are the biggest suckers out there and will spend all their money for the “look”. And talk about their feelings.

Shooting schit and eating it isn’t new.
I'm a big fan of Anthony Bourdain, and Meat eater seems, sometimes, in the same adventurous, try new schit spirit. But Bourdain was the consumate realist. Sometimes life is raw and nasty. Alot of places in this world getting emotional would get you killed. There doesn't have to be meaning in everything you do. Sometimes your just feeding yourself and your family and having some fun with family and friends away from work. I see no point in rubbing the deer and giving it a little smooch on the forehead while asking the great spirit to take him to the great corn feeder in the sky. I completely understand he's trying to make some money doing something he loves and have NO problems with that. Anyway.... Seems like a genuine guy and I bet he's a pretty decent human being as human beings go.

Bore's probably right. I'm sure in that world it's hard not to succumb to the monetization of it when your sole source of income is advertisement driven consumerism.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Local whitetail outfitter had a guy book a hunt with him, and film it for his show........don't know who it was. Anyway, guy killed a buck, went through the routine for the camera in which he pointed his finger towards the heavens, got all teary-eyed, and just kept repeating over and over again, "thank you Lord." Off camera, the guy cussed like a sailor, drank like a fish, told the dirtiest jokes, and acted like anything other than a Christian person that he tried to pass himself off as being to his audience.

I've pretty much quit watching all hunting shows. Tried Meateater a few times, and it's a joke. I do like Jim Shockey though.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
He's a decent voice for hunting. There are certainly a lot worse out there.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Chernin loves rinella. I mean he is better than the other blowhard in Bozeman....dont cha noh uffta!
Posted By: humdinger Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Hes the only one I occasionally watch now.

I hate the others that do fake high fives and talking smack the whole time and call the game stupid names. Michael Wedel and buck commander are the worst.

The worst one was a pro-hunter that walked up to a ranch and offered $2500 to shoot a deer on that side of the fence. the guy turned him down. The only redeeming things was he didnt trespass to shoot a big deer.

At least Rinella hunts and is intelligent.

He doesnt pimp the gear like the others. You see it, but hes not nearly as bad as many.
Posted By: deflave Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I like his hunting show and think it's relatively well done for a hunting show.

But he needs to tighten up on who he works with and what his opinions are on all forms of hunting. Because for a guy that's eager to represent hunters, he says some really stupid schit.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Local whitetail outfitter had a guy book a hunt with him, and film it for his show........don't know who it was. Anyway, guy killed a buck, went through the routine for the camera in which he pointed his finger towards the heavens, got all teary-eyed, and just kept repeating over and over again, "thank you Lord." Off camera, the guy cussed like a sailor, drank like a fish, told the dirtiest jokes, and acted like anything other than a Christian person that he tried to pass himself off as being to his audience.

I've pretty much quit watching all hunting shows. Tried Meateater a few times, and it's a joke. I do like Jim Shockey though.

You got more bullschit gossip stories than a Jewish woman.
I honestly think the 22 minutes of show is a bad idea. ZPZ productions produces some really good stuff. A 4 day hunt compressed to that little bit of time is really short changing what’s going on. I can’t stand the Saturday morning cartoon format. I’d rather see a couple 2 hour episodes than a dozen 1/2 hour ones.

I’m with Jack, Anthony Bourdain was one of the best. Restaurant Confidential is really good. Even better on audio since he narrates it.

Rinella and Bourdain on a show together would have been an great story.

Rinella and Francis Mallman would be epic....
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by deflave
I like his hunting show and think it's relatively well done for a hunting show.

But he needs to tighten up on who he works with and what his opinions are on all forms of hunting. Because for a guy that's eager to represent hunters, he says some really stupid schit.

Like what?
Posted By: efw Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I like him; he is from very close by my lifelong home so I kinda consider him my people. He seems to live a pretty hardcore outdoor lifestyle even if his branding is a little on the John Denver (vs Charlie Daniels) side of things at times.

I also appreciate that he hasn’t allowed himself to be politicized. We’ve ruined so many things that people from across the political spectrum used to come together and enjoy like sports, but he has avoided being dragged into that. Sure it makes him money but it is also good to have a place where people can enjoy something together.

I like the guy quite a lot and enjoy his shows & podcasts even tho I often disagree with him.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...tthread/Board/21/main/914578/type/thread
Posted By: tzone Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by Calvin
Blood on my hands has been a part of my entire adult life, both in work and and play.

You are now knows as...”The Hit Man”

grin
. To quote The Federalist again must mean you are drinking again.

They are far from a legit source. Closer to The Onion
Originally Posted by callnum

Take that Jon Tester doll out of your pussy.

LOL
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Meanwhile the normal gut level human reaction to getting a deer (or whatever) by someone yet unencumbered by public school educations and political correctness.

Originally Posted by callnum

Take that Jon Tester doll out of your pussy.

LOL
. Drunk again I see, any more domestic changes?
Your mom won’t leave.

LOL
Posted By: skeen Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by RJY66
Meanwhile the normal gut level human reaction to getting a deer (or whatever) by someone yet unencumbered by public school educations and political correctness.

That's great!
That’s a kid that watches way too many schitty hunting shows.
Originally Posted by 16bore
That’s a kid that watches way too many schitty hunting shows.

lol.. true.
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
No worse, no better than most of the crap on TV.
Posted By: SKane Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Rinella I can tolerate ok.
That guy in "Into High Country", Matzinger, makes me want to hurl.

Amen. Matzinger is without peer in the douche bag category.
Posted By: CRS Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I like watching him although like stated above, his style has changed more towards the spiritual side.

I originally liked his show for the new ideas on cooking wild game he shared. Have added some recipes to our kitchen, and some I would not touch!

As far as my hunting mindset, I am somewhere in between, uncouth rednecks to the hippie side. I love to hunt, it is who I am and enjoy the whole process, but am pragmatic in the fact, that in the end it is just meat and bone.

I get great satisfaction out of doing it right from field to table.
There’s hunting for a TV, hunting for yourself, and hunting for Instagram pics.
Posted By: 280Rem1 Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I personally hold all of God's creation in reverence. I feel a bit of remorse every time I take an animals life, but I do enjoy the participation of the natural world and the table fare.
I respect the animals and although I have taken hundreds, possibly thousands, I don't feel their existence or lives are meaningless.
It is a serious matter ending their life. They don't want to die any more than you do. It is all part of the predator/prey relationship in the natural world IMO... and hunting is as much a natural part of me as eating and drinking.
Posted By: tzone Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I have zero problems with the spiritual stuff. Who am I to judge what they believe in spiritually? I don't care for the show that much. I've tried to like it. I think it's the formatting and the production more than the content. The 4-5 shows I've seen seemed like they were all over the place as far as staying on track of the hunt.
Posted By: Woodhits Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I don't agree with everything that Rinella does or believes in but I do think that he is a great ambassador for hunters. His book American Buffalo is damn good.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by 280Rem1
. I feel a bit of remorse every time I take an animals life

I have said many times that I'd love to be able to shoot a deer, bobcat, or a turkey with a tranquilizer gun, take a picture, then watch them wake up and run off. I often have a little feeling of remorse after shooting one. However, I have no remorse whatsoever about killing a coyote, coon, squirrel, possum, English Sparrow, and a few other ones that I had better not mention.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I have never even heard of this guy. That said, I have no issue with anyone giving thanks. I do so on a daily basis. I also do so after a hunt, succeful or not.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Meateater is one of the few hunting shows I actually like. You generally get a no-nonsense view of his hunts, and I like the cooking part as well. The "spiritually honoring" part I can do without but whatever. I know when I go into the field hunting I fully intend to unapologetically kill something.

Most hunting shows are a disaster.......Pigman, Wadell and Co, mosts of the "good ol' Southern boys", Buck Commander, and the Midwesterner's who sit in tree stands over green fields telling us how hard they've been hunting are mostly unwatchable. Like Shockey or not, his shows are amazing. I would bet most of the TV hunter personalities would starve to death if put in an unfamiliar environment and told to have at it. They'd be clueless as to where to start.
Posted By: wvshooter Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I enjoy watching Meateater. It focuses on the entire outdoor experience of hunting and puts more emphasis on the food that animals provide rather than the trophy aspect of it all. It's been a welcome change compared to what most if not all of the other hunting shows have turned in to. I commend Steve for being successful at it in that way.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I'm somewhere in between as I don't have to get spiritual over a kill but I can't stand the goal post type display of many shows.

I seldom kill a large animal any more as I don't need much meat but when i do take one, reality tells me that everyone can't do this
as Mother Nature has limitations.

I've hunted with tv personalities and they are changing as they realize their newer viewers want assurance that those animals are
being utilized.

Rinella's show is a fair attempt at realistic hunt. As far as his bison book goes,,,,,,,it sucks.
Posted By: Ducksanddogs Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by HitnRun
He isn’t much different than Brent Danielson. A two faced liberal that likes to hunt, but still supports the environmental and left wing side of politics. They both think that because they are associated with guns and hunting, they get a pass and belong with real outdoorsmen.

Couldn’t be more wrong.

Wait, are you saying that “real outdoorsmen” have to have a certain political view? Call me ignorant, but I didn’t realize there was a correlation...
Posted By: Calvin Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I don’t get it. You have a hunt. You go out with the intent to kill. You kill. And you feel remorse? Then why do it? Take up golf.

I like to kill fish/game. I feel zero remorse and get a good adrenaline rush in doing so. The planning, physical exertion, and often times the social aspect make it appealing. The food part of it is a bonus but probably low on the list on why I hunt.
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I don’t get it. You have a hunt. You go out with the intent to kill. You kill. And you feel remorse? Then why do it? Take up golf.

I like to kill fish/game. I feel zero remorse and get a good adrenaline rush in doing so. The planning, physical exertion, and often times the social aspect make it appealing. The food part of it is a bonus but probably low on the list on why I hunt.

I've watched one of his shows and kind of lost interest how in the opening he explained he "had" to go Dall sheep hunting as the freezer was low. I like to eat game meat but if the freezer is low enough that I have to spend several thousand dollars and travel to alaskafor more food I'm just going to the grocery store. If you want to hunt a call sheep just be honest and say its because you want to
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
I'll go with respect. I've hooted and hollered on a good kill, but the humble usually sets in pretty quickly. No woo woo though, that's cultish.
Originally Posted by 16bore
I honestly think the 22 minutes of show is a bad idea. ZPZ productions produces some really good stuff. A 4 day hunt compressed to that little bit of time is really short changing what’s going on. I can’t stand the Saturday morning cartoon format. I’d rather see a couple 2 hour episodes than a dozen 1/2 hour ones.

I’m with Jack, Anthony Bourdain was one of the best. Restaurant Confidential is really good. Even better on audio since he narrates it.

Rinella and Bourdain on a show together would have been an great story.

Rinella and Francis Mallman would be epic....

Bourdain seemed like a guy that if you got in a bar fight in sigapore he'd break a beer bottle and cut somebody. Rinella seems more like the buddy that says "damn boys, i better be getting home, gotta work tomorrow.

If you can't drop the hammer on an animal, you shouldn't be eating meat. Growing up seeing first hand where dinner comes from, which was normally the garden/cellar or the barnyard/woods hunger pains never seemed to appealing. Mother nature is a cruel bitch, the sooner you come to terms with that the better off you'll be.
Grandad would grab a chicken, chop his head off with a hatchet on a piece of firewood, toss it into the yard to run around in circles and bleed out. No "thank you's" or prayers.
Posted By: Backroads Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
If people will watch a show about getting your freezer full, I think that says volumes about those watching.

there's an old saying that has a lot of wisdom in it....................... " I don't hunt in order to kill. I kill in order to have hunted."

IOW, It's the hunting I am defined by, not the killing. I kill for a purpose. It can be a solemn moment and a happy moment at the same time.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by jackmountain

If you can't drop the hammer on an animal, you shouldn't be eating meat. Growing up seeing first hand where dinner comes from, which was normally the garden/cellar or the barnyard/woods hunger pains never seemed to appealing. Mother nature is a cruel bitch, the sooner you come to terms with that the better off you'll be.
Grandad would grab a chicken, chop his head off with a hatchet on a piece of firewood, toss it into the yard to run around in circles and bleed out. No "thank you's" or prayers.

I agree and same here except it was grandma with the hatchet.

Having said that, there are almost as many reasons to hunt as there are hunters. If someone wants to say a prayer, put a sprig of greenery in the animal's mouth, or anything else that's not being a douche I'm OK with it. We need more hunters and not everybody is gonna do it "like I do."
Posted By: efw Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20

As a Christian I feel a reverence borne of gratitude when I kill. First for the food and in recognition that it wasn’t supposed to be this way, but also because “blood must be shed for the remission of sins” and this cycle of one creature losing its life so there may live reminds me of a deeper truth imbedded in the natural order.

Just my .02...
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20

You got more bullschit gossip stories than a Jewish woman.

Yenta.
Posted By: EdM Re: Steve Rinella - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by smokepole

I agree and same here except it was grandma with the hatchet.

Having said that, there are almost as many reasons to hunt as there are hunters. If someone wants to say a prayer, put a sprig of greenery in the animal's mouth, or anything else that's not being a douche I'm OK with it. We need more hunters and not everybody is gonna do it "like I do."

Bingo.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Steve Rinella - 10/03/20
Im thankful for the game and harvest but not going overboard with it.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Steve Rinella - 10/03/20
What about if you have t climb inside your kill to stay warm like Luke Skywalker?
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Steve Rinella - 10/03/20
Originally Posted by 280Rem1
. I feel a bit of remorse every time I take an animals life

I have said many times that I'd love to be able to shoot a deer, bobcat, or a turkey with a tranquilizer gun, take a picture, then watch them wake up and run off. I often have a little feeling of remorse after shooting one. However, I have no remorse whatsoever about killing a coyote, coon, squirrel, possum, English Sparrow, and a few other ones that I had better not mention.

#OldandSoft
Posted By: Texson2 Re: Steve Rinella - 10/03/20
Bourdain supported Obama and he was a flaming liberal, enough said. He wouldn’t be on my side in a bar fight.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Steve Rinella - 10/03/20
Like him or hate him? Seems like a pretty good gig he has going but the whole touchy feely halfway millennial thing he has going gets tiresome. Just shoot a deer in the face and make dinner. No need for the whole “thank you deer for giving your life so we can make snack stick with cheddar cheese” bullschit. Seems like everything has to have deep meaning and a spiritual connection to nature these days. How about some “I need to get some meat in the freezer or starve, so fuch you deer?

I think it is what many young hunters need to hear, to come to terms with hunting, to hunt for fun is to be shamed.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Steve Rinella - 10/03/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
Thank ye thy great spirit now i can buy two rocks of crank

There is a song about a guy killing his buddy over a Clovis point.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Steve Rinella - 10/03/20
Like him or hate him?

The third option is ambivalance, due to not needing E-celebs to validate my personal choices.
Posted By: deflave Re: Steve Rinella - 10/03/20

I love golf.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Steve Rinella - 10/03/20
The food part is important to me because I don't think I would hunt if I didn't enjoy a freezer full of meat. I also like processing it into different products. I am not talking about varmints here. That comes under the category of shooting. Squirrels on the bird feeders are in another category. grin

Posted By: FishinHank Re: Steve Rinella - 10/10/20

Amen Joel. Its not easy outsmarting a wild anything. Unless its a bear. Anything that comes to a barrel to eat and doesn't think somethings wrong deserves to get smoked.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Steve Rinella - 10/10/20
FWIW, I believe Steven has stopped by the Campfire Forums on occasion in the past.....
Posted By: 16bore Re: Steve Rinella - 10/10/20
I can’t see him lasting with this motley crue...
Posted By: smokepole Re: Steve Rinella - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Squirrels on the bird feeders are in another category. grin

Edible varmints??
Posted By: crshelton Re: Steve Rinella - 10/10/20
Never heard of him and do not watch other folks hunting videos; Particularly videos of commercial or bragging nature.

Arrowheads - found them after each rain on our Comanche County deer lease. Fun for kids, but after a while, BORING!
We had a lot of game and shot our share for the table.

OK with me if a fellow hunter keeps such ceremonial thanks giving to himself as it should be for the solo hunter. Just keep it out of camp or find another camp.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Steve Rinella - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by frogman43

Most people that meet Steven come away with a feeling like he took the time to actually engage them. Steven grew up near where I lived for a long time. His Mother still lives next to a co-worker of mine. He was friends with one of my best buddy's, that's how I came to know more of him than just his show. He's a writer....that loves the Outdoors. He grew up as deeply immersed in the Michigan wildlife as he could.

Living in NYC (last I knew) I imagine he has to change up his style to appeal to those around him.

I say good for him, finding something he can do to make a living outdoors....

Frog---OUT!

He has moved to Bozeman.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Steve Rinella - 10/10/20
I enjoy his show, especially the cooking segments.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Steve Rinella - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter

there's an old saying that has a lot of wisdom in it....................... " I don't hunt in order to kill. I kill in order to have hunted."

IOW, It's the hunting I am defined by, not the killing. I kill for a purpose. It can be a solemn moment and a happy moment at the same time.

Jose Ortega y Gasset wrote "Man does not hunt to kill, he kills to have hunted." He first wrote it in the '30s and he was a big-time Spanish liberal.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Steve Rinella - 10/10/20
I grew up on Fred Bear, American Sportsman etc...

Cant get into this new stuff for some reason.
Posted By: ribka Re: Steve Rinella - 10/10/20
Have a millennial friend ( new hunter) who is a big fan of Rinella. He has at least 5 , 000 in first lite, sitka, kuiu clothing. Kifaru packs for every occasion, 3 top end back country tents About a dozen elk calls. Big into BHA and social media.

A few years ago he shot a cow elk ( first one) from a baited tree stand ( legal in our state) next to a road. He broke down and started sobbing, blubbering and crying in camp after the kill and running up and hugging everyone. When I shoot an elk or bear my first reaction is how the thug am I going to get it out of the woods.

Everything now is definitely overly hyped and emotionalized. I definitely appreciate the animals but this is getting weird.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
I grew up on Fred Bear, American Sportsman etc...

Cant get into this new stuff for some reason.

Fred was a class act and great hunter. I never saw him praise Jesus or talk about global warming after a kill.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Steve Rinella - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by ribka
Have a millennial friend ( new hunter) who is a big fan of Rinella. He has at least 5 , 000 in first lite, sitka, kuiu clothing. Kifaru packs for every occasion, 3 top end back country tents About a dozen elk calls. Big into BHA and social media.

A few years ago he shot a cow elk ( first one) from a baited tree stand ( legal in our state) next to a road. He broke down and started sobbing, blubbering and crying in camp after the kill and running up and hugging everyone. When I shoot an elk or bear my first reaction is how the thug am I going to get it out of the woods.

Everything now is definitely overly hyped and emotionalized. I definitely appreciate the animals but this is getting weird.

Thank you, Instagram.

The millennial shopper is the biggest sucker on earth.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Steve Rinella - 10/10/20
When I shoot an elk or bear my first reaction is how the thug am I going to get it out of the woods.

Maybe that's why he was cryin?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Steve Rinella - 10/10/20

Amen Joel. Its not easy outsmarting a wild anything. Unless its a bear. Anything that comes to a barrel to eat and doesn't think somethings wrong deserves to get smoked.

The food part is likely near the top for me.

I feel a bit of remorse every time I kill something. Not sure remorse is the right word, maybe just an understanding that I took an animals life. Even the steers I keep for beef.

If for some reason I could not eat deer, would I just walk around shooting them for fun?

No.

Coyote?

Yes.
Originally Posted by smokepole
When I shoot an elk or bear my first reaction is how the thug am I going to get it out of the woods.

Maybe that's why he was cryin?

50 yards from a road in a baited stand. Me and 2 others guys boned it out and packed it to the road. He had a good onyx in his iPhone to find the road. Thank God for technology
© 24hourcampfire