Home
I’ve owned a few Tacoma’s with the 4.0l V6 and have had great luck with that engine. I’m considering a new Tacoma which now comes with the 3.5l V6.

Any first hand experience with the “newer” powerplant?

Thanks.
Same here.
My '10 has 133k on it and has been pretty trouble-free.
Thinking of getting my father-in-law's '16 with the 3.5 when he gets a new one.
Talked to a guy yesterday, who let his 2012 go, and picked up a 2020, with that 3.5 l.. has had it about 10K.. told me that he disliked it, because of the fuel injection changes, its acceleration is hesitant right at first and then kicks in...the mileage isn't any where near is good, nor does it have the power the 4/0 did... and a oil change at the dealer is a lot more spendy, because of the pain in the ass you'll find out it is, if you try and do it yourself....

I had my 4 Runner with me and was saying I was thinking about picking up one..

he told me if I was going to upgrade to buy a used one with the 4.0 instead of a new 3.5 in a 2020....

just passing the conversation on.. draw your own conclusions...
I have a 2020......... so far so good. I have the sr5 4x4 v6 silver sky.

Handling the mountains I hunt with no problem in stock form.

I’m getting 27 mpg on the highway.

I like it.

My bud has a 2019 trd dcsb. He tricked it out. King coil overs, upc arms......etc

Those trucks go.

I change my own oil........
Originally Posted by covejeepsxj
I’ve owned a few Tacoma’s with the 4.0l V6 and have had great luck with that engine. I’m considering a new Tacoma which now comes with the 3.5l V6.

Any first hand experience with the “newer” powerplant?

Thanks.

I thought they made the engine bigger not smaller> I am suprised at that
My son is complaining about the noticeable power difference...traded in a 2007 for 2019, 6 sp, big cab. No problems yet, just less power than the old one, not a noticeable difference in mpg.
I have had 3 Tacomas with the 4.0 they are pretty much bullet proof. I have heard that the 2006 may have head gasket problems but thats after 100k
Thanks Guys. I appreciate the information.
I currently have a 2017 Tacoma with the 3.5. I have had the older Tacoma's with the 4.0 and I do currently have an 06 Toyota 4Runner with the 4.0. A lot of difference between the 2. The 4.0 has a lot more torque at lower RPMs. The 3.5 is actually rated with about 30 more HP. The 4.0 have a 5 speed automatic transmission and the new 3.5 is coupled with a 6 speed automatic tranny. The 6 speed seems like it is always shifting up and down. I had a 2005 Tacoma with the 4.0 with the 6 speed manual transmission and I liked that setup a lot. Mileage is comparable. I do notice that the new 3.5 motor is really noisy at an idle. But overall I really do like the truck. And resale value seems to be holding up as well on these as much as the older ones.
Originally Posted by lazydrifter
I currently have a 2017 Tacoma with the 3.5. I have had the older Tacoma's with the 4.0 and I do currently have an 06 Toyota 4Runner with the 4.0. A lot of difference between the 2. The 4.0 has a lot more torque at lower RPMs. The 3.5 is actually rated with about 30 more HP. The 4.0 have a 5 speed automatic transmission and the new 3.5 is coupled with a 6 speed automatic tranny. The 6 speed seems like it is always shifting up and down. I had a 2005 Tacoma with the 4.0 with the 6 speed manual transmission and I liked that setup a lot. Mileage is comparable. I do notice that the new 3.5 motor is really noisy at an idle. But overall I really do like the truck. And resale value seems to be holding up as well on these as much as the older ones.

Exactly the info I was looking for. Much Appreciated.
I put 300,000 one the 85 I had before someone took it. Great vehicles
I like the newer Tacoma design, but I just can't get excited about that powertrain. Sound like the 6spd auto would be better off if the motor did make more lower rpm torque. I often lock out OD on my 4.0L model when I'm in town, as it is programmed to shift into OD (5th gear) at pretty low revs. It's a simple side-to-side bump on the shifter to have OD or not. Toyota should look at a big 4cyl with a turbo if they want better fuel economy than the old 4.0 while still making good torque. Modern single-turbo fours can easily make around 300-350ft/lbs in the useable part of the rev range.
I'd go over to www.tacomaworld.com and read up on some of the comments. I have no 1st hand experience with the new 3.5, but my 2007 with the 4.0 has been bulletproof.

You won't get a consensus. Most of the guys with the 3.5 are happy, but a lot of guys coming from the 4.0 to the 3.5 don't. They both have similar torque and HP ratings, but the new 3.5 needs 4600 rpm to get max torque. The older 4.0 does it at 3500 rpm. Which is still high, but a lot better than 4600. Based on what I'm reading the 3.5 does OK, you just have to drive it differently.

My son had both a 2008 and now a 2017. He says the torque at low speeds was better with the 4.0. He say you have to wind the 3.5 up to make it go.

He say the 4.0 was better as a off road vehicle. His 2008 was totaled in a accident.
Originally Posted by covejeepsxj
Originally Posted by lazydrifter

Exactly the info I was looking for. Much Appreciated.

The 3.5 is a good engine and is proven. The problem is that Toyota, in an attempt to increase efficiency, changed it to an Atkinson cycle engine, ( don't ask me to explain how it works) with the result that the engine doesn't make peak torque until the mid-upper RPM range, and that's not a good thing for a truck, which needs torque at low RPMs.
Originally Posted by fester

I like it.

My bud has a 2019 trd dcsb. He tricked it out. King coil overs, upc arms......etc

Those trucks go.

Never heard anyone say that they got that good of gas mileage on a Tacoma. Whats your secret?
I've got 150k on my 2011 4.0 with not a single issue so far. I'd like a new one with a 6 speed manual trans before they go extinct. But not completely sold on the 3.5 and crappier fuel mileage (supposedly) with the manual.
Toyota has got to do something with their engine designs to find a balance between fuel economy and power and they really seem to be struggling. Damn near every newer Tacoma I see has a little lift, bigger tires, roof racks and all kinds of [bleep] strapped to them and then they have the gutless 3.5 with a tranny that can not find a happy place and in turn that leads to poor fuel economy. They really need to get with the program.
Originally Posted by remington

I like it.

Those trucks go.

Never heard anyone say that they got that good of gas mileage on a Tacoma. Whats your secret?

I keep my foot out of it, cruise control

Tacoma World is the place for your answers

Currently have a '14 4.0 & manual......sold an '05 recently

The 4.0 oil changes are really simple

The new 3.5 have newer canister style system..a bigger PIA

I like it.

Those trucks go.

I like it.

Those trucks go.

I have a 2020 with the 6 speed manual in it and am lucky to get 17 mpg on the highway. I’ve driven land cruisers since 1996 and am used to Toyotas being under powered. The new Tacoma really seems to lag until you get close to 2000 rpms and has a noticeable powerband at 3000 rpm. Im a big fan of Toyota, but if I could have gotten a similarly size domestic pickup with a manual transmission (and now a little diesel motor) I would have done so, after driving the new Tacoma for 9000 miles.
My roommate has a 2020. I helped him change the oil a few weeks ago. Without a lift it is a real pain.

I've driven it quite a few times. Drives nice but gets terrible mileage. I think here on Kodiak driving the 7 miles to work everyday he is getting about 17. Most of the miles are at 55 too. My 93 F150 gets the same mileage and has loads more torque with the 4.9.

My 17 F150 with the 3.5 is 3 times as fast and gets better mileage than his taco.
I think Toyota screwed up with that 3.5
One thing is for sure, if and when you see a low mile '15 Tacoma for sell, if you want it, you better be quick on the trigger.

I've been looking to update my '07 Taco to a newer model. Saw 2 different 15's come available on Craigslist this summer and they were gone in no less then two days. There's a high demand for them, for good reason.

My '07 now has 226,000+ miles. Nothing wrong with it but I'd still like to upgrade. Just have read too many negative reviews from guys that did the same but went with '16 or newer models and found out that they don't like the new power train.
Any idea if the newer models weigh much more than the older ones with the 4.0?

Besides the change in the power curve, adding more and bigger goodies can push the weight up.

I'm not familiar with the new stuff, computers and all that, but can the power curve be changed with a "chip" like folks do with other cars/trucks?

What's the issue with the oil changes? Accessibility to the filter canister? The drain plug?

I'm glad I have my '01, 4cyl, 5 speed, crank windows base model. I think if the engine or other drive train component goes rebuilds will be the ticket.
I bought a new 2012 with a 6 speed manual. It now has 160k on it and not a glitch.
I look forward to putting another 160k on it.

Was in CO recently and completed a pretty technical off road with some jeeps and the Tacoma had no problem handling and going anywhere the jeeps did.

I wouldn't sell it for anything.
I bought an 09 with the 4.0 for a hunting truck. I can't tell you how much I disliked that truck. From the automatic transmission always searching for the right gear to all the electronic crap that wouldn't let me spin the tires to telling me to buckle the seat belts. Absolutely drove me nuts. My kid needed a fuel efficient car for college so he got the wifes Camry and she wanted the truck. I bought a 92 and built it up the way I wanted for a hunting truck. Last year of the wing windows baby. ARB air lockers, 4.88 gears, 33" tires, ARB bumper and Warn winch, Rigid lights on front, canopy to sleep in. It's perfect for offroad and drives just fine everywhere I need to go.

When the motor goes, it'll get a 3.4 and a super charger for 270 hp.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I picked up a 2013 last year with 17k miles. Specifically because I wanted the 4.0, and not the new v6.

No complaints. Has a rear locker, atrac, enough power for me.
I got the last year production of the previous Gen (2015) and it's been absolutely trouble free. Only 64k miles. I'm lucky if I get a bit over 17mpg mixed driving. Typically average just under 16mpg.
I like Tacomas. It's a shame that they are turds off road.
Oh, and all Toyotas get 17 mpg btw. It's mandatory. LOL
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Oh, and all Toyotas get 17 mpg btw. It's mandatory. LOL

Yes, except mine.

Calculations for the fill up the other day:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Not bad considering a pipe rack over the camper shell, a truck box that weighs +/- 50 lbs, a tool box with about 30lbs in it, the "junk" behind the seat for another 30 lbs or so, and my big fat arse. So certainly not an unladen vehicle.

Will admit, it was about 30 miles up in the mountains on USFS roads, and the rest was 95% rural driving. Very little stop and go.
Most people I know who have been disappointed with their 2004 or later Tacomas were unhappy because they were hoping for more MPG. Other than that, they've mostly been happy. My uncle has had a few Tacomas and says people don't keep on buying them because of the great fuel mileage. I agree. Mine wears a lift, 32" mud tires, and a bull-bar with winch. It usually averages around 16.5 to 17mpg with mixed driving.
Originally Posted by JPro
It usually averages around 16.5 to 17mpg with mixed driving.

There it is ^^^^^.

The old ones did better. I knew a guy that claimed to get almost 30 mpg with his 1985 4x4 5 spd 4 cyl.

There it is ^^^^^.

The old ones did better. I knew a guy that claimed to get almost 30 mpg with his 1985 4x4 5 spd 4 cyl.

That would be really good based on my long term experience (14 years?) with an '86 2 WD, 4 cyl, 5 spd, long bed extended cab, again with the fiberglass cap installed.

It regularly got around 25 mpg on the highway, 22 or so around town.
I have the 4.0 in a 2018 4runner. The reason I bought it was the complaints on the 3.5 engine and ever shifting tranny.
My 4.0 gets 20 mpg. I bought a really nice aluminum trailer, so I think I did better than just a Tacoma. More inside room for the dogs, and I think the engine is better. The newer 4.0 does have the sucky oil filter, but it is not too much of a big deal. I have no regrets with the 4.0, but I cant imagine less HP with the 3.5. The 4.0 is adequate at best.
Ive had 2 Tacomas and both never got better than 17mpg. Still have my 02 Dbl Cab.
The older 4cyl Tacomas were a bit better though, both of mine were V6.

There it is ^^^^^.

I had a 2009 4cyl regular can mt and it would get about 24mpg mixed usually. Should've never sold it. Payed 15k for it with 30k miles in 2013.

I will say on the 3.4 I had in my 01, phuuck the engineer that decided to have the oil filter oriented upside down....[bleep]'em.
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

There it is ^^^^^.

I had a 2009 4cyl regular can mt and it would get about 24mpg mixed usually. Should've never sold it. Payed 15k for it with 30k miles in 2013.

I will say on the 3.4 I had in my 01, phuuck the engineer that decided to have the oil filter oriented upside down....[bleep]'em.

Yeah, you might have shoulda kept that one. Was it 2 wd? That's really good mileage even with the 4cyl.

What's with this new upside down oil filter stuff. I'm going to have to look for a picture of that. I like the old filter in a can like I had on my old Chevy, didn't have to get under the car to change it even.
It was 4x4. No cruise control tho. But I didn't mind the crank windows and manual locks. I didn't get anywhere fast, but I got there.

Maybe my memory is off because it's been 8yrs since I changed oil on a 3.4 v6 but I remember the oil filter being at a downward (upside down) angle, causing oil to pour all over the place upon unscrewing it. A real p.i.t.a.

I put 178k on a 3.4 v6 double cab tacoma with no issues (without changing the timing belt...not advised). Great vehicle.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/139578.jpeg[/img]
That's pretty darn good. Mostly on the valley floor or do you get into the foothills daily?
60 mile commute on flat land. In the mountains it drops to 18-20 mpg
depending how hard I’m pushing it....
I just drove one from central west virginia to western pennsylvania, not impressed...

That’s great. I wish mine would come close to that. It’s strange that there is so a wide discrepancy in fuel economy.

I can get about 22 in my 60 series land cruiser with its 12HT and 5 speed.
Originally Posted by willowcreek1996

That’s great. I wish mine would come close to that. It’s strange that there is so a wide discrepancy in fuel economy.

I can get about 22 in my 60 series land cruiser with its 12HT and 5 speed.

It really does depend on the driver and terrain, and in my case what's loaded in the back. Hunting trips to AZ from here, a couple of passes along the way including a 6300' one before I leave the state, and loaded with all my gear for a 7-10 day hunt I'll get about 17mpg.

Empty, as empty as mine gets that is with all the weight it usually has that 21 mpg like in the picture is pretty decent. If I took the fiberglass shell of, the pipe rack, and emptied the bed I bet I could get closer to 25 on the flats.
Greetings . I know this is not exactly what the OP asked for ,but close. I had a 1999 Tacoma that I bought in 2007. Put service cap on it and used it for grain dryer service and to hunt out of . Got the letter in 2008 about the rusted frames . Had it checked and was fine . In 2013 i was under truck and saw holes in frame . Contacted Toyota dealer and said I was eligible for buy back from Toyota . Originally paid right at $10,500 with tax . Drove 6 years . Toyota paid me $14,887.50 for my truck. Invested in stock market . Moved it 3 times . Last week i purchased a new Tacoma and had made almost enough to pay for 2/3 of 2020 Tacoma SR. Traded in my wife's Camry that we purchased in 2000. So didn't have to pay a lot difference .

Wife will mainly drive this . Grocery runs ,drive to our cabin to hunt etc. Seems to us we have all the power we need . We are in our early 60's and retired . Have not had trailer and quad hooked to it yet . Going to put some miles on it first . If lacking power ,we will use Silverado to haul quad. Like it so far . First 3 tanks of mixed driving we averaged just over 22 mpg.

For you 'Yota guys

https://trailtoys.net/products/magnetic-drain-plug

Wife's Lexus '11 GX 460 300 horse V8 full time 4x4 weighing in at 5500# can get 18 mpg (if I drive it)

My '14 Taco will get 19 at 65 mph on cruise & no A/C

6 sp MT

Bought the Taco for longevity....not fuel mileage
Originally Posted by WFR
Same here.

Yours is just broken in good unless you've trashed it somehow.
Originally Posted by reivertom
Originally Posted by WFR
Same here.

Yours is just broken in good unless you've trashed it somehow.

Year later update.
I did end up buying my Father-in-law's 2016 TRD Sport 4X4 quad cab and never warmed up to it like I did my 2010.
The 3.5L in the Tacoma never seemed to have the same torque as the 4.0L.
We traded it in on a 2022 Highlander Hybrid for the wife because they offered me almost as much as my Father-in-law paid for it 6 years ago with 73k miles on it and needing about $1500 in body work where a tree limb fell on it.
Our plan was to trade in her 2019 Hihglander but when they offered us a stupid amount of money for it we took it and I put a hitch on the 2019 Highlander that is now averaging 23-24 as a daily driver.
The '16 Tacoma was 16-17 mpg at best in around town driving.
I've been driving the Highlander for a week and do not miss the Tacoma at this point.
I'll get another truck in the future but it won't be a Gen 3 Tacoma with the 3.5L engine.

Originally Posted by Seafire
Talked to a guy yesterday, who let his 2012 go, and picked up a 2020, with that 3.5 l.. has had it about 10K.. told me that he disliked it, because of the fuel injection changes, its acceleration is hesitant right at first and then kicks in...the mileage isn't any where near is good, nor does it have the power the 4/0 did... and a oil change at the dealer is a lot more spendy, because of the pain in the ass you'll find out it is, if you try and do it yourself....

he told me if I was going to upgrade to buy a used one with the 4.0 instead of a new 3.5 in a 2020....

Yep, that is what a buddy of mine told me too. He much prefers his 2015 4.0 over the newer 3.5 he had. He says he hated the 3.5. He said something about getting a pedal commander right off the bat, if I buy one with a 3.5. I don't know much about that, but he says that helps with the hesitation. I'm currently looking at getting a low mile 2013 with the 4.0, so I was asking my buddy what he thought, since he's had both...
Both dogs that are harder on fuel than they should be.
I love my Tacoma. 2014 regular cab (last year for regular cabs), 4x4, 2.7 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual, crank up windows and manual locks. 20 mpg no matter how I drive it, and it’ll go anywhere. I’ll never sell it. Also have a 2011 regular cab 2wd and a 2016 4x4 with the 3.5. The 2016 shifts gears a lot with the 6 speed auto but it will sure move.
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
It was 4x4. No cruise control tho. But I didn't mind the crank windows and manual locks. I didn't get anywhere fast, but I got there.

Maybe my memory is off because it's been 8yrs since I changed oil on a 3.4 v6 but I remember the oil filter being at a downward (upside down) angle, causing oil to pour all over the place upon unscrewing it. A real p.i.t.a.

I put 178k on a 3.4 v6 double cab tacoma with no issues (without changing the timing belt...not advised). Great vehicle.

I have gotten a 2011 4 Door, 4WD Tacoma now and have had a 1988 4 Runner with the 22 RE since it was new in Sept 1987...It has a tip down of say a 30 degree angle on the block, passenger side of the engine...., and on the 2011 Tacoma with the 4.0, the filter is under the hood, right there... and facing at almost a 80 degree angle downward.
Same thing with a 93 and 94 Camry, and a 2004 Camry in the family.....

I've always changed the oil cold. and in each of those vehicles, left over night, the oil drains from the filter back into the oil pan...Until using the newer synthetic filters, I'd change the oil filters every 5K, but the oil ( synthetic Mobil 1) every 20K to 25K... no sludge on the top of the engines with V 6s or 4 Cylinders... once again, left overnight to drain back into oil pan, never had a mess all over the place under the engine.... even tho still put an oil pan on an oil drain drip pan....

These are on engines, that for business use have put a minimum of 300K on the engines, to 585K on the 88 4Runner....

The newer cartridge type filters Toyota is using now... I'll be avoiding those.. the ones I have now will probably out last me or at least my need for them...

I've gone from driving 60K a year on vehicles to where I down closer to 30 to 40 K a year....
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Seafire

Yep, that is what a buddy of mine told me too. He much prefers his 2015 4.0 over the newer 3.5 he had. He says he hated the 3.5. He said something about getting a pedal commander right off the bat, if I buy one with a 3.5. I don't know much about that, but he says that helps with the hesitation. I'm currently looking at getting a low mile 2013 with the 4.0, so I was asking my buddy what he thought, since he's had both...

The friend I was speaking of is in his early 70s and is pretty well set financially, G.Pass born and raised...His solution for his problem is he is going to be spending $3K on changing the axle gear ratio up to 4.88 gears or more. He figures it will be his last truck, so he doesn't mind.. and can certainly afford it...
© 24hourcampfire