-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's pretty darn good. Mostly on the valley floor or do you get into the foothills daily?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
60 mile commute on flat land. In the mountains it drops to 18-20 mpg
depending how hard I’m pushing it....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I just drove one from central west virginia to western pennsylvania, not impressed...

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by fester

That’s great. I wish mine would come close to that. It’s strange that there is so a wide discrepancy in fuel economy.

I can get about 22 in my 60 series land cruiser with its 12HT and 5 speed.

long before Rodriguez stole that goat.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by willowcreek1996
Originally Posted by fester

That’s great. I wish mine would come close to that. It’s strange that there is so a wide discrepancy in fuel economy.

I can get about 22 in my 60 series land cruiser with its 12HT and 5 speed.

It really does depend on the driver and terrain, and in my case what's loaded in the back. Hunting trips to AZ from here, a couple of passes along the way including a 6300' one before I leave the state, and loaded with all my gear for a 7-10 day hunt I'll get about 17mpg.

Empty, as empty as mine gets that is with all the weight it usually has that 21 mpg like in the picture is pretty decent. If I took the fiberglass shell of, the pipe rack, and emptied the bed I bet I could get closer to 25 on the flats.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

O
O
Greetings . I know this is not exactly what the OP asked for ,but close. I had a 1999 Tacoma that I bought in 2007. Put service cap on it and used it for grain dryer service and to hunt out of . Got the letter in 2008 about the rusted frames . Had it checked and was fine . In 2013 i was under truck and saw holes in frame . Contacted Toyota dealer and said I was eligible for buy back from Toyota . Originally paid right at $10,500 with tax . Drove 6 years . Toyota paid me $14,887.50 for my truck. Invested in stock market . Moved it 3 times . Last week i purchased a new Tacoma and had made almost enough to pay for 2/3 of 2020 Tacoma SR. Traded in my wife's Camry that we purchased in 2000. So didn't have to pay a lot difference .

Wife will mainly drive this . Grocery runs ,drive to our cabin to hunt etc. Seems to us we have all the power we need . We are in our early 60's and retired . Have not had trailer and quad hooked to it yet . Going to put some miles on it first . If lacking power ,we will use Silverado to haul quad. Like it so far . First 3 tanks of mixed driving we averaged just over 22 mpg.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Wife's Lexus '11 GX 460 300 horse V8 full time 4x4 weighing in at 5500# can get 18 mpg (if I drive it)

My '14 Taco will get 19 at 65 mph on cruise & no A/C

6 sp MT

Bought the Taco for longevity....not fuel mileage

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by WFR
Same here.
My '10 has 133k on it and has been pretty trouble-free.
Thinking of getting my father-in-law's '16 with the 3.5 when he gets a new one.

Yours is just broken in good unless you've trashed it somehow.

WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by reivertom
Originally Posted by WFR
Same here.
My '10 has 133k on it and has been pretty trouble-free.
Thinking of getting my father-in-law's '16 with the 3.5 when he gets a new one.

Yours is just broken in good unless you've trashed it somehow.

Year later update.
I did end up buying my Father-in-law's 2016 TRD Sport 4X4 quad cab and never warmed up to it like I did my 2010.
The 3.5L in the Tacoma never seemed to have the same torque as the 4.0L.
We traded it in on a 2022 Highlander Hybrid for the wife because they offered me almost as much as my Father-in-law paid for it 6 years ago with 73k miles on it and needing about $1500 in body work where a tree limb fell on it.
Our plan was to trade in her 2019 Hihglander but when they offered us a stupid amount of money for it we took it and I put a hitch on the 2019 Highlander that is now averaging 23-24 as a daily driver.
The '16 Tacoma was 16-17 mpg at best in around town driving.
I've been driving the Highlander for a week and do not miss the Tacoma at this point.
I'll get another truck in the future but it won't be a Gen 3 Tacoma with the 3.5L engine.

Last edited by WFR; 12/09/21.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
Talked to a guy yesterday, who let his 2012 go, and picked up a 2020, with that 3.5 l.. has had it about 10K.. told me that he disliked it, because of the fuel injection changes, its acceleration is hesitant right at first and then kicks in...the mileage isn't any where near is good, nor does it have the power the 4/0 did... and a oil change at the dealer is a lot more spendy, because of the pain in the ass you'll find out it is, if you try and do it yourself....

I had my 4 Runner with me and was saying I was thinking about picking up one..

he told me if I was going to upgrade to buy a used one with the 4.0 instead of a new 3.5 in a 2020....

just passing the conversation on.. draw your own conclusions...

Yep, that is what a buddy of mine told me too. He much prefers his 2015 4.0 over the newer 3.5 he had. He says he hated the 3.5. He said something about getting a pedal commander right off the bat, if I buy one with a 3.5. I don't know much about that, but he says that helps with the hesitation. I'm currently looking at getting a low mile 2013 with the 4.0, so I was asking my buddy what he thought, since he's had both...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both dogs that are harder on fuel than they should be.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I love my Tacoma. 2014 regular cab (last year for regular cabs), 4x4, 2.7 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual, crank up windows and manual locks. 20 mpg no matter how I drive it, and it’ll go anywhere. I’ll never sell it. Also have a 2011 regular cab 2wd and a 2016 4x4 with the 3.5. The 2016 shifts gears a lot with the 6 speed auto but it will sure move.

Last edited by LBP; 12/10/21. Reason: Correct spelling

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
It was 4x4. No cruise control tho. But I didn't mind the crank windows and manual locks. I didn't get anywhere fast, but I got there.

Maybe my memory is off because it's been 8yrs since I changed oil on a 3.4 v6 but I remember the oil filter being at a downward (upside down) angle, causing oil to pour all over the place upon unscrewing it. A real p.i.t.a.

I put 178k on a 3.4 v6 double cab tacoma with no issues (without changing the timing belt...not advised). Great vehicle.

I have gotten a 2011 4 Door, 4WD Tacoma now and have had a 1988 4 Runner with the 22 RE since it was new in Sept 1987...It has a tip down of say a 30 degree angle on the block, passenger side of the engine...., and on the 2011 Tacoma with the 4.0, the filter is under the hood, right there... and facing at almost a 80 degree angle downward.
Same thing with a 93 and 94 Camry, and a 2004 Camry in the family.....

I've always changed the oil cold. and in each of those vehicles, left over night, the oil drains from the filter back into the oil pan...Until using the newer synthetic filters, I'd change the oil filters every 5K, but the oil ( synthetic Mobil 1) every 20K to 25K... no sludge on the top of the engines with V 6s or 4 Cylinders... once again, left overnight to drain back into oil pan, never had a mess all over the place under the engine.... even tho still put an oil pan on an oil drain drip pan....

These are on engines, that for business use have put a minimum of 300K on the engines, to 585K on the 88 4Runner....

The newer cartridge type filters Toyota is using now... I'll be avoiding those.. the ones I have now will probably out last me or at least my need for them...

I've gone from driving 60K a year on vehicles to where I down closer to 30 to 40 K a year....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Seafire
Talked to a guy yesterday, who let his 2012 go, and picked up a 2020, with that 3.5 l.. has had it about 10K.. told me that he disliked it, because of the fuel injection changes, its acceleration is hesitant right at first and then kicks in...the mileage isn't any where near is good, nor does it have the power the 4/0 did... and a oil change at the dealer is a lot more spendy, because of the pain in the ass you'll find out it is, if you try and do it yourself....

I had my 4 Runner with me and was saying I was thinking about picking up one..

he told me if I was going to upgrade to buy a used one with the 4.0 instead of a new 3.5 in a 2020....

just passing the conversation on.. draw your own conclusions...

Yep, that is what a buddy of mine told me too. He much prefers his 2015 4.0 over the newer 3.5 he had. He says he hated the 3.5. He said something about getting a pedal commander right off the bat, if I buy one with a 3.5. I don't know much about that, but he says that helps with the hesitation. I'm currently looking at getting a low mile 2013 with the 4.0, so I was asking my buddy what he thought, since he's had both...

The friend I was speaking of is in his early 70s and is pretty well set financially, G.Pass born and raised...His solution for his problem is he is going to be spending $3K on changing the axle gear ratio up to 4.88 gears or more. He figures it will be his last truck, so he doesn't mind.. and can certainly afford it...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (10gaugemag, Alan_Robertson, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 6 invisible), 1,338 guests, and 660 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,636
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.