Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
It was 4x4. No cruise control tho. But I didn't mind the crank windows and manual locks. I didn't get anywhere fast, but I got there.

Maybe my memory is off because it's been 8yrs since I changed oil on a 3.4 v6 but I remember the oil filter being at a downward (upside down) angle, causing oil to pour all over the place upon unscrewing it. A real p.i.t.a.

I put 178k on a 3.4 v6 double cab tacoma with no issues (without changing the timing belt...not advised). Great vehicle.

I have gotten a 2011 4 Door, 4WD Tacoma now and have had a 1988 4 Runner with the 22 RE since it was new in Sept 1987...It has a tip down of say a 30 degree angle on the block, passenger side of the engine...., and on the 2011 Tacoma with the 4.0, the filter is under the hood, right there... and facing at almost a 80 degree angle downward.
Same thing with a 93 and 94 Camry, and a 2004 Camry in the family.....

I've always changed the oil cold. and in each of those vehicles, left over night, the oil drains from the filter back into the oil pan...Until using the newer synthetic filters, I'd change the oil filters every 5K, but the oil ( synthetic Mobil 1) every 20K to 25K... no sludge on the top of the engines with V 6s or 4 Cylinders... once again, left overnight to drain back into oil pan, never had a mess all over the place under the engine.... even tho still put an oil pan on an oil drain drip pan....

These are on engines, that for business use have put a minimum of 300K on the engines, to 585K on the 88 4Runner....

The newer cartridge type filters Toyota is using now... I'll be avoiding those.. the ones I have now will probably out last me or at least my need for them...

I've gone from driving 60K a year on vehicles to where I down closer to 30 to 40 K a year....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez