Home
Posted By: persiandog grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/09/20
Growing populations of grizzly bears and humans add up to greater conflict
Decades of protection have led to a grizzly bear population in Montana that's more than triple what it was a century ago. But that means more interactions - and conflicts - with humans. 60 Minutes reports, Sunday.

going to watch it online.
Posted By: rem141r Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/09/20
need to figure out how to get a good griz population going in chicago, philly, etc
Posted By: BluMtn Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/09/20
My daughter and SIL live off of I15 in Montana in the wheatfields. They have an app on their phone and the town alerts them when a grizz is passing through town. They have had to shelter in place until the grizzlies leave town. And it happens more than a person thinks considering they are not real close to any mountains ranges.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by rem141r
need to figure out how to get a good griz population going in chicago, philly, etc

I don't think Grizz like dark meat.
Posted By: viking Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/09/20
Junk food eh
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by BluMtn
My daughter and SIL live off of I15 in Montana in the wheatfields. They have an app on their phone and the town alerts them when a grizz is passing through town. They have had to shelter in place until the grizzlies leave town. And it happens more than a person thinks considering they are not real close to any mountains ranges.

By order of whom?
Posted By: lvmiker Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/09/20
I have been spending time in the wilds of Wyoming and Montana for 50 years and a Grizzly sighting used to be somewhat rare. For the last 10 years seeing them has become common. We spent a month in Jackson, Wy. last fall and saw Griz and wolf tracks almost daily. We spent a lot of time hiking North of Grand Teton NP and south of Yellowstone and became very "bear aware" in a short time.

mike r
Posted By: Brad Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/09/20
I like grizzlies and think they have a place in the Wilderness I visit.
Posted By: viking Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by Brad

Yep a wilderness cabin floor rug.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/09/20
Thanks Viking. :>)
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by persiandog
Growing populations of grizzly bears and humans add up to greater conflict
Decades of protection have led to a grizzly bear population in Montana that's more than triple what it was a century ago. But that means more interactions - and conflicts - with humans. 60 Minutes reports, Sunday.

going to watch it online.

I spent a lot of years around grizzlies and what 60 minutes knows about them you could fit in a thimble. IOW don't put a lot of stock in what they have to say, being factual.
Posted By: Brad Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by viking

Spoken like someone that doesn’t live with Grizzlies.
Posted By: viking Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
Nope.
Posted By: EdM Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
Any reason why you bounce between name Mike? You are from Danville California, right?
Me? California? Nope
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20

Spoken like someone that doesn’t live with Grizzlies.

I have them literally around my house and everywhere I recreate.

I'd shoot every damn one I see if it didn't mean prison.
Darn that has to be edgy.

Beats a cul-de-sac in Bozeman lol. Id rather live in the woods than post about 2 weeks a year hunting in them.

Crossing the creek behind my house to hunt deer with your kid takes on a whole different dimension when your dragging it through the willows and there's a big fugging grizz on camera from a day or 2 ago.

I know there's Alaskans' that'll post pics of a 15' coastal brownie eating dog food off their porch.

I chose to live here, just wish we weren't beholden to commie fuggs when it comes to being able to shoot a problem bear.
Posted By: Steve Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

I chose to live here, just wish we weren't beholden to commie fuggs when it comes to being able to shoot a problem bear.

I like this sentiment.
Posted By: greydog Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
I'm with Brad on this one. When I'm hiking or camping, the fact that grizzlies are around is part of the deal. The same goes for other predators. Without them, the experience is diminished. In fact, if the presence of bears serves to keep even a few people away, I'm all for them. GD
Originally Posted by greydog
I'm with Brad on this one. When I'm hiking or camping, the fact that grizzlies are around is part of the deal. The same goes for other predators. Without them, the experience is diminished. In fact, if the presence of bears serves to keep even a few people away, I'm all for them. GD

There is a wide gap between wanting them as part of the ecosystem and not wanting them eradicated, and removing federal protections.

I like having them out there, but the idea I'm going to prison for blowing the guts out of one for eating my chickens or getting into my shop is a bitter pill.

The shell game FWP plays moving them around in secret is an enormous waste of taxpayer money, among other things.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
I'm not their biggest fan, but have learned to give them the respect they deserve. My hometown is ground zero for their "new" expansion area. One was on my high school lawn a couple years ago. The newest rash of sightings is square nuts in my old deer hunting grounds.

They're not going anywhere...and they're not doing anything but becoming more common for the foreseeable future so a guy may as well learn to deal with them.
Gruff shares my frustration with the legal aspects of having them around for sure. They've got more protections on them, and have more value put on their life than on humans.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Gruff shares my frustration with the legal aspects of having them around for sure. They've got more protections on them, and have more value put on their life than on humans.

That's just it. Not many I know who live and work in and amongst them want them eradicated. But the idea I'm getting the third degree from the feds and looking at 10's of thousands in fines (if not prison) for killing one if they don't determine fits their parameters means sentiment runs high against them.

If they are so damned cool, then they ought to be walking around downtown Bozeman, Missoula, and every other bastion of [bleep]. Wonder how that would work out lol.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
It sure would change the way I do things around here if they still existed in this area. I now generally take a flashlight out beyond the "dog fence" in the backyard or if I go out to the driveway or shop at night. Just to see if there might be a skunk out there. Most everything else here is pretty shy of humans and hauls ass when the spotlight goes on or they hear the door open. Skunks just don't GAS.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Defense of Life and Property regulation go through in the lower 48 like they have up in AK. They still have that, right?

Same goes for wolves. When I lived in AZ I couln't believe a rancher could lethally take a wolf for killing a sheep worth a couple hundred bucks, but I was supposed to watch one run off with at that time an $800 dog we loved and lived with. Makes no sense to this fella.

BGG, I hope you never have to deal with the repercussions.

All you guys, please lobby for reintroduction of the grizzle bears to CA, starting with the LA basin where they were native back when the Spaniards arrived. Then any extras can go to the Bay Area (Berkely first?) and let's not forget Sucktomento. After all, the Golden Bear is on our flag, shouldn't we want it back. Y'all would be glad to send us any extras you have, right?
Posted By: watch4bear Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
The one thing survivors of bear attacks remember if they live, is the smell of the bears breath as he bites them in the head trying to crush their skulls. They say its something theyll never forget.

Posted By: Morewood Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by Valsdad
All you guys, please lobby for reintroduction of the grizzle bears to CA, starting with the LA basin where they were native back when the Spaniards arrived. Then any extras can go to the Bay Area (Berkely first?) and let's not forget Sucktomento. After all, the Golden Bear is on our flag, shouldn't we want it back. Y'all would be glad to send us any extras you have, right?

I was kicked off a "Scientific" California based forum a while back. Some professor was espousing the reintroduction of the grizzly into California. How wonderful it would be to bring back the Golden Bear. All warm and fuzzy.

In a response I brought up the history of the grizzlies in this state that once attacked and ate countless heads of livestock, indians, padres and settlers. They were fearless predators from the arroyos of S. California hills the way up the Pacific coast range and the entire Sierra Nevada and throughout the central valley. The famous hunter/trapper Grizzly Adams lived not far from here. There is good reason they are extinct in this state, I wrote.

Got the Ban Hammer.
Well schiedt,

there goes my idea of having them big puppy dog critters back.

I heard some of those grizz were biggies here too. All year growing season, lots of stuff to eat in various locations. Acorns in the valleys of SoCal, salmon all the way up the San Joaquin to the Kern I think, not to mention the Sac. Elk in the Central Valley. Indians as you mentioned.
Posted By: persiandog Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
The Indians I know in and around Browning.....hate grizzly bears.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20

By order of whom?

The town they live in has the app set up.
Sorry Blu, but I don't think you answered the question that Gruff asked.

Your daughter isn't in your avatar is she? Want a new SIL?
Posted By: ribka Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

They sure do. I wonder if its in their centuries of genetics?
Posted By: las Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
We saw a 10 inch track on the road tonight while walking the dogs. Big yawn. smile

True, our coastal brownies are reputed to be a lot more mellow than interior griz (same bear), due to an abundance of food making them more mellow. They are around all the time in season, and I haven't seen one in years, here.

Doesn't mean I don't pack heat when we go trail hiking.

Those MT/WY griz need a season on them to teach them some manners.
Posted By: greydog Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
We are allowed to shoot bears which are a threat to ourselves or our livestock IF they are on our property or are an imminent threat. Unfortunately, this has often led to someone launching a preemptive strike just because he wants to shoot a bear.
In remote areas, there are bears but fewer people but, close in, there are still bears and more people. In addition, there are a lot of visitors who think they should be just fine jogging through a berry patch. Naturally, there are occasional conflicts and that's just the way it is. Too many people; not too many bears. GD
We are allowed to shoot bears which are a threat to ourselves or our livestock IF they are on our property or are an imminent threat. Unfortunately, this has often led to someone launching a preemptive strike just because he wants to shoot a bear.
In remote areas, there are bears but fewer people but, close in, there are still bears and more people. In addition, there are a lot of visitors who think they should be just fine jogging through a berry patch. Naturally, there are occasional conflicts and that's just the way it is. Too many people; not too many bears. GD

lol

By order of whom?

The town they live in has the app set up.

Sorry Blu, what I meant was were they ordered to shelter in place?

Having that app could be really handy, especially if they've got kids.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20

Beats a cul-de-sac in Bozeman lol. Id rather live in the woods than post about 2 weeks a year hunting in them.

Crossing the creek behind my house to hunt deer with your kid takes on a whole different dimension when your dragging it through the willows and there's a big fugging grizz on camera from a day or 2 ago.

I know there's Alaskans' that'll post pics of a 15' coastal brownie eating dog food off their porch.

Whatever happened to SSS?
Posted By: local_dirt Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20

Sig line material right there.

Lol.

God no that is not my daughter. My avatar calls my honey in my dreams every night. And as far as a new SIL I am afraid you don't own enough land in Montana to qualify for that job. grin grin grin
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Not everyone has a backhoe lol. Also there are rumors there are trackers under the skin on some that've been captured, and released. And captured and released. And captured and released, you get the idea. They actually offered a reward for info on one that'd been shot here close to me. Far as I know everyone has told them to take the reward and jam it,.
It should be SSSSS, As in Super Sized Shoot Shovel and Shutup.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
If you don't want bears eating dog food off your porch, don't put it out there. If there's nothing to attract them, they will walk through the neighborhood, without walking up on your porch.
Posted By: Windfall Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
Sis lives north of Whitefish which is 20 miles out of "The Park" (Glacier) they call it out there and has had a large brown bear up on her deck. She claims that there are griz in the area, but I'm wondering if the brown phase black bears that they have out that way don't get mistaken for grizzlies by the uninformed?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Do that like anything over there?
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
If you don't want bears eating dog food off your porch, don't put it out there. If there's nothing to attract them, they will walk through the neighborhood, without walking up on your porch.

What a bunch of bs. A bear will walk 50 miles to chew on anything plastic grin

God no that is not my daughter. My avatar calls my honey in my dreams every night. And as far as a new SIL I am afraid you don't own enough land in Montana to qualify for that job. grin grin grin

I own 5 acres there.....is that not enough?
Some people are so needy....

Isn't that called a ranchette?

Some people are so needy....

Yea you are alittle short by about 4 zeros.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
5.0000? Lol.

I like having bears, lions, and wolves in the woods. The wilds should be wild. If I wanted to live in Texas, I’d simply move there.

That said, I’m all for seasons to hunt each and it shouldn’t take a presidential pardon to blast one sniffing around the chicken coup or campsite.
Damn it!
Posted By: persiandog Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
<sarc> why don't we wait for the experts on 60 minutes tell us what to do, remember they did the first ballistic comparison between AR15 and 9mm handgun. </sarc>
Posted By: ironbender Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20

There is a wide gap between wanting them as part of the ecosystem and not wanting them eradicated, and removing federal protections.

I like having them out there, but the idea I'm going to prison for blowing the guts out of one for eating my chickens or getting into my shop is a bitter pill.

The shell game FWP plays moving them around in secret is an enormous waste of taxpayer money, among other things.

No DLP allowed in MT?
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20

If properly practiced, no one knows.....
Posted By: Hastings Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
I have them literally around my house and everywhere I recreate.I'd shoot every damn one I see if it didn't mean prison.
I am a retired game warden and I just believe if you kill a troublesome animal and don't approach it, and keep the rifle hidden afterwards, and most importantly DO NOT answer any questions or even talk to the police other than identifying yourself you will be home free. Oh, don't have any witnesses or tell your wife or neighbor. Most game violators are convicted at least in part because someone makes an admission or statement.
Posted By: ironbender Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by watch4bear
The one thing survivors of bear attacks remember if they live, is the smell of the bears breath as he bites them in the head trying to crush their skulls. They say its something theyll never forget.

Is that Timmy getting eaten in Herzogs film?
No way to know now, but I think he overexaggerated the pain grin
Posted By: MadMooner Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
Pretty sure the audio was proven fake. It sounds kinda weird but I have no idea what you’re supposed to sound like getting your guts eaten?
Pretty sure the audio was proven fake.

I though so. in real life it wouldn't sound anything like that grin
Originally Posted by ironbender

No DLP allowed in MT?

Life yes, property no. Unless it's what the state considers livestock, which does not include chickens, or dogs. And you're going to be put through the ringer regardless. It's bullspit.
Posted By: comerade Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
We have a nuisance Grizzly in the area, feeding on gut piles etc. . I just keep the 12 gauge handy when doing chores ....my wife ventured out to the barn without it last night and wouldn't go back to the house without.....me & the 12'er.
I wouldn't live anywhere Grizzlies and Bighorns didn't.
It keeps things spicy.

No DLP allowed in MT?

Life yes, property no. Unless it's what the state considers livestock, which does not include chickens, or dogs. And you're going to be put through the ringer regardless. It's bullspit.

How much are your dogs worth, in a monetary sense? Hard to value the job they do and the enjoyment you get out of them.

Like I posted earlier, a dang lamb seems to be worth enough to shoot a wolf or bear, but not an expensive dog, family pet or working dog.
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

If properly practiced, no one knows.....

Yeah, except I'd probably want a backhoe around if I was to try to "shovel" a hole big enough for a grizz.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/10/20
SBHS??
Originally Posted by Valsdad

How much are your dogs worth, in a monetary sense? Hard to value the job they do and the enjoyment you get out of them.

Like I posted earlier, a dang lamb seems to be worth enough to shoot a wolf or bear, but not an expensive dog, family pet or working dog.

Thankfully I've not had to yet, but I know how I see the scales balanced. As far as I'm concerned my barn cats weigh more than a fugking bear. Fortunately my horses count as livestock, so if some hippy dippy commie wet dream bear braves my dogs and electric fence I assume he'll be after my ponies. I like having them out there, but the protections are fugking stupid. Start releasing the problem bears in not just LA and Sacramento, but every single major population center within their historical range. There is a surplus
Posted By: local_dirt Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/11/20

No DLP allowed in MT?

That's insane.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/11/20

Not everyone has a backhoe lol. Also there are rumors there are trackers under the skin on some that've been captured, and released. And captured and released. And captured and released, you get the idea. They actually offered a reward for info on one that'd been shot here close to me. Far as I know everyone has told them to take the reward and jam it,.

Aholes trying to get you to sell your neighbors out because they shot a bear that was eating their animals, sounds like. Fugg em.
Posted By: Hastings Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/11/20
Start releasing the problem bears in not just LA and Sacramento, but every single major population center within their historical range. There is a surplus
Berkeley Hills California would be the perfect place to offload problem bears into their former habitat. Surely the liberals in California that thought it was a good idea to reintroduce wolves in Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana would welcome an apex predator.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/11/20

No DLP allowed in MT?

Just a FYI- Was looking at grizzly maps and reports, saw this from MT FW:

“If a black or grizzly bear attacks, and if you have a firearm and know how to use it safely and effectively, Montana law allows you to kill a bear to defend yourself, another person or a domestic dog. If you do kill a bear in self defense you must report it to FWP within 72 hours.”
http://fwp.mt.gov/recreation/safety/wildlife/bears/bearEncounter.html
Posted By: MadMooner Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/11/20
Another thing that stood out was the disparity in penalties for killing a grizz.

Old boy in WY called F&G after shooting at a grizzly that had harassed him several times in a afternoon. The third time it returned he took a shot at its azz with a 22 to “scare it off”. Immediately called reported it.

They hit him with over $25k in fines, years probation, and a year of no hunting/fishing. The DA and judge both expressed sympathy for the guy.

Guy in AK kills a sow with cubs that took a moose quarter out of a tree. Shot it in the back as it was running away. Skins the bear and takes the hide. Did not report it.

Less than $4k in fines.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/14/20
I DVRd the 60 minutes show and just finished watching it.

JFC...every single person interviewed on the episode was a sandal wearing, hand wringing apologist for the bears....from state and federal wildlife agents to local residents.
God forbid they interviewed someone in favor of a controlled hunting season to safely reduce numbers.

Not that I expected anything less.
Just more liberals pushing their liberal agenda.
Posted By: Steve Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/14/20
Originally Posted by Hastings
Start releasing the problem bears in not just LA and Sacramento, but every single major population center within their historical range. There is a surplus
Berkeley Hills California would be the perfect place to offload problem bears into their former habitat. Surely the liberals in California that thought it was a good idea to reintroduce wolves in Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana would welcome an apex predator.

Cal needs them back in Monterey, Big Sur, and Tahoe.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: grizzlies on 60 Min - 10/14/20
Originally Posted by Hastings

Look at what they did with cougars... feline variety, not the usual CA variety...
© 24hourcampfire