Home
Posted By: smithrjd 10 acres enough? - 10/11/20
Looking at retiring, central Missouri in particular. Seeing several nice houses but only 10 acres. All wooded and surrounded by more wooded land. How much land is "enough" I know, more is better..
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/11/20
10 acres being "enough" depends on your use and your wants. It's a lot if you're in the middle of KC or on the lake. Not so much in the middle of the Ozarks. If you want your own shooting range and don't want your neighbors pissed all the time, that's a little light. I'd think 20 minimum. If you want to protect yourself from incoming windmills, it's hard to get enough.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
There are worse places than central Missouri. So there's that. Also, 10 acres is a lot better than 1.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20

buy the most you can afford & feasibly build right smack in the middle

wish'd I had more

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Do your damnedest to not have close neighbors.

You'll thank me later.. wink
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Well this is rough carpentry because of location, location, location in real estate, but having owned house and land from 1/4 acre to 202 acres, can speak from some experience and reflection.

For country living I'm kinda in the camp that says 10 acres is an absolute minimum. Ideally 20 acres or more, way more, even, because I'd want a barrier against development encroachment and some breathing room to hunt and do some target practice.

I'm tired of moving after a lifetime of it, so our next move may be our last before hospice (yikes!). That being the case, and to remain true to your question, I'd say 20 acres plus. YMMV.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
We live in town, quarter acre lot... Have thought about someday building a house out in the country.

The more open setting the more acres I would want.

It would range from 5-40 acres on the river bottom to 640 acres in the hills.

Neighbors and future development would be major factors.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
I would like to get a wooded piece of acreage and put about an 800 sq ft cabin in the middle of it. I don't want a lot of yard work so I would clear just enough to feel like a tree can't trash my home in a heavy storm. I was thinking 10 acres would be a nice size but if the surrounding land has homes that are away from my property line, 5 acres would probably be enough- for me.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Three homes all 10 acres each off the same road. Houses are placed away from the property lines. Large property (farm open hay fields with woods) on two sides. Deer in the photo's, but.. I have hunted in 1000 acre areas, and normally concentrated in a 2 or 3 acre area. Crap shoot, I hate looking and buying long distance. Thankfully there are some relatives in the area.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
It depends. If you’re mowing the lawn, 1 acre is enough. If you’re row cropping, raising cattle, selling timber, or deer hunting, the more the better.
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
I live on 40, on a private road with a friend for a neighbor who owns 180, and good neighbors around who all own 40 to 60. 40 in that situation is almost enough. I can’t see a neighbor, but I can still hear them drive by!😂

The only thing I dislike about my place really is the gravel road at the bottom of the hill that forms the border of my property. It gets too much traffic. Of course, I would only be really happy if I never heard a car at all.

Where fo you live now? That will color how ten acres feels to you. A guy moving from an area of low density and large landowners will find it small. A guy moving from a subdivision in the suburbs or a loft in the city will think its heaven. Until the neighbors are revving their four wheelers at ten p.m.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
It really depends on the neighbor situation. I grew up on a 5 acre plot. It is surrounded by other parcels, some lived on, some not, but all immediately surrounding neighbors are good people. We had free reign of a few 100 acres as a kid, and we all worked together during deer season. No other seasons were really hunted, so I had them to my self. This was a good way to grow up and a way I am trying to get back to.

(As I type this from the 7th floor of a down-town apartment 🤢)
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
My Ex’s family bought ten acres south of town. Tall flammable grass giving over to mesquite. Impossible for them to keep up with and the small house on the lot is subject to burglary when they aren’t there because it cannot be seen from the road.

The elderly brother of another friend lives alone on a cattle ranch, hard to imagine but he ain’t really a firearms kinda guy, never has been. Wouldn’t be hard for a miscreant or three to take him out. Might not be found for a week or more.

Actually, I don’t mind having close neighbors, we watch each other’s stuff.
Posted By: EdM Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
My place in north Idaho is on 11 acres with neighbors running 20 - 50. There are thousands of public land acres ten minutes away. That said, short of the annual pig hunt Dan does, I do not hunt Texas.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Only a 7 Acre RANCH here. But we're surrounded on three sides by public land and the neighbor has an empty lot across the street besides the one his house is on down the street a bit. And another empty lot next to his. We're in a county that's slowly losing population, so I doubt many of the multitude of vacant lots around here will be developed. If they are I'll be supremely bummed.

If I had my druthers, it would probably be a 700 Acre RANCH, but I don't have that many druthers to buy that much land.

smith, if you're worried about some of those wooded areas being developed in the near future, 10 acres might not be enough if you want to live in the country. Good luck with it.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Our humble place in Ontario is , tiney, 321/2 x 102, we are not there a lot, good friends, and close neighbors keep a close watch for us.
Posted By: stantdm Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
As noted above it depends on where it is and what might happen as time goes on. I live on an 80 piece of farm ground and woods and have only one house I can see from mine. Hunting is good but my house is smack in the middle of the ground and if I were building it today it would be on the edge closer to the county road. Less snow to plow and the less disturbed the balance of the land is the better.

Don't buy a place with a bridge or a creek unless when the creek floods you can still get out.

The advice to buy as much land as you can afford is good.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Looking at retiring, central Missouri in particular. Seeing several nice houses but only 10 acres. All wooded and surrounded by more wooded land. How much land is "enough" I know, more is better..

Do you want to hunt off of your back porch, garden, or keep neighbors at arms length?
Some people are blessed to have a national forest or cemetery joining. Others end up with a trailer park or poacher moves in next door.
It all depends. Ten acres is plenty to mow garden and do a lot on.
Posted By: joken2 Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20

"Enough" can depend on how much land you are prepared to handle -- taxes, liability insurance, time to maintain and proper equipment to maintain, etc.

Lay of the land per access and usability.

Things change. Good neighbors now may not always be good neighbors. People sell out and move or die and heirs either move in or sell to whoever.
Neighbors houses are not in the sight line. Don't really know the situation with the larger plots that are farmed, with no houses around. Unless one of those gets broken up I don't see much that can change. I am currently in the subdivision with about a .2 acre lot and mine is a large one.. It would be nice to hunt the land, deer are by the pond in the pictures and yes they could be taken from the porch. Not that I would plan to do that.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20

Our south gate on the county road is 6 miles from my house,our north gate is 12 miles from my house, our north west gate is 24 miles from our south west gate, no close houses, we like it this way. Rio7
Posted By: rockchucker Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
no

what part of central mo. im in central mo?
Posted By: WAM Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
The best neighbors are no neighbors. More is better.
Posted By: Remsen Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
I bought 20 acres in Montana a while back, thinking it was enough for me to put a cabin on and hunt. There are a few other 20 acre parcels around me, then some state land, and three cattle ranches of tens of thousands of acres surround all of it. The land is mostly flat and has a nice number of trees.

At first, it was plenty of space. Now, other folks are setting up homes on their 20 acre lots and I'm starting to feel the need to look for another place. I tried to buy the 20 acres next to me but the owner isn't selling and I'm thinking that 100 acres is the minimum for my next place, hopefully with no one else putting up a cabin or home nearby. '

I'm anti-social and have no interest in talking to others, but the guys who live on the other 20 acres lots seem to be talkative and are always stopping by. I know that's considered friendly in most places, but I just want to be in the woods and not have anyone talking or dropping by. If I liked company, the 20 acres would be more than enough.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Originally Posted by RIO7

Our south gate on the county road is 6 miles from my house,our north gate is 12 miles from my house, our north west gate is 24 miles from our south west gate, no close houses, we like it this way. Rio7

Sounds almost like heaven. It's a mile from the gate at the road to our house and that's to close for my liking.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
10 acres? Ok but house has to be in the middle ,got to be far enough away from the neighbors so you can't hear them fugg or fight. You know I wouldn't sh*t you. MB
Posted By: greydog Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
We live on 40. 30 years ago, we had one neighbor within a 1 mile radius. Now, we have seven. The nearest is still nearly a mile away but the truth is, we might as well live in town. The elk population is 20% of what it was, same with white tail deer. I bought this place because, at the time, it was semi remote. If I had a chance at ten acres surrounded by public land, I'd be interested. Otherwise, I'd be as happy in a small town. GD
Posted By: greydog Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Oops. Double tap. GD
Posted By: Sevastopol Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Like someone else mentioned, it might be too small for a range, but that depends on the neighbors.
Posted By: leesway2 Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
I hunted with a guy that always said,I dont want all the land I just want is hooked to mine. When he passed 6 years ago his kids were amazed at what he had and pissed it all away. More is better. Good luck,which ever way ya go make it yours.
Posted By: EdM Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

Sounds almost like heaven. It's a mile from the gate at the road to our house and that's to close for my liking.

Heaven and south Texas, well no.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
100 acres was just right for about 30 years. Then one azzole bought a piece of property up the road a little. All the neighbors hate him with a passion! Now I wish I had 500 and lived right in the middle of it. Kinda like DeFugg moving in across the street!
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Get the most you can. How it's located matters a lot.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Shannon County Missouri.

Get me 1000 acres there someday.

Run me some July hounds......
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

Heaven and south Texas, well no.

Haha!
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Shannon County Missouri.

Them July hounds any good at runnin' March hares?
Posted By: kwg020 Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
We have 46 acres and that was plenty until the neighbor guy passed and his wife sub divided her 90 acres. Now we have at least 4 new neighbors on 7 acre plots. Good fences make for good neighbors. I have enough room to sight in rifles as long as they can tolerate the noise. If not screw them we have been there since 1962. We were there first.

kwg
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Shannon County Missouri.

Them July hounds any good at runnin' March hares?

To my knowledge....they aint never caught one.

So's I cant say!
Polk county. Hard decision to make, wife and I both like the house. We are only going to have one shot at doing it. Will not be the time or money to make a mistake and start over again... I as well would love 200+ acres, but the money is not there.
Get after it then.

Good luck.
Where are you know?
Cali.... Retired from the Navy here and got a good job. About to finish the second 20 years. Can't wait to leave. Grew up in Northern Minnesota and it's time to go back to the Midwest, and finally be close to family again.
I could live in Missouri.

How come you think you could?

I am sure you have done your research.

Maybe you should look near a national Forrest?
Several relatives on the wife's side are there. Also pretty good tax and expense wise for a retiree. Saw a couple by Mark Twain, but not near any fishing lakes, something else "on the list" of must haves.
Well...I guess no place is perfect.
well smith,

congrats on getting the second twenty done along with your service to Our Country.

If you're from Northern MN, central MO might seem a bit warm in the winter for you, unless you've acclimated to Cali. grin

Good luck with the move and finding a property you and your wife can enjoy.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
All depends where it is. My buddies hunting camp is only on 6 acres but is surrounded by thousands of acres of state land.
Posted By: jimy Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
You need to go stand in a 10 acre field, that is surrounded by woods to get an Idea just how small 10 acres really is !

Your part of "I said so " ends at your feet are not where you can see !
I wish you lots of luck Smith!
Posted By: T_Inman Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
10 acres is enough for me....any more than that without an agricultural exemption or the like would be hell on property taxes, if Missouri is like most other states.

You always run the risk of bad neighbors but if the timber is thick enough and they're further up the road, rather than down the way you normally leave, it'll be OK. You won't notice them as much.

Unless they're like me: loud, shoot a lot and throw beer cans everywhere. Then you're screwed.
Bullshit....you are so domesticated it ain't even funny.

I bet you apologize when you take a piss on the sod.
I thought that the beer cans were just next years seedlings !
Originally Posted by jimy
I thought that the beer cans were just next years seedlings !

I am always confused by the Indian Artifacts thread....
I've planted thousands of Labatt blue bottle caps over the years with little success, I haven't figured out if its timing or seed depth, but I keep on keeping on !
I've planted thousands of Labatt blue bottle caps over the years with little success, I haven't figured out if its timing or seed depth, but I keep on keeping on !

Fugging commie.

Fugging commie.

Maybe try Molson caps?
Posted By: Brad Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
The right 10 acres is perfect, the wrong 1000 acres isn’t... so “it depends.”
Posted By: 79S Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20

Damn one minute you are wishing ol smith good luck to this.. Ph uck did you run out of meds again? Do we need to send Deflave up their??
Posted By: Bristoe Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
I suffer through on 5. I've got 3 neighbors. One of them is a 300 acre bean field.
Originally Posted by 79S

Damn one minute you are wishing ol smith good luck to this.. Ph uck did you run out of meds again? Do we need to send Deflave up their??

I was talking to the cougar killer!
Originally Posted by 79S

I was talking to the cougar killer!

Oh damn, you are being a big internet bully tonight
Have you seen that picture of him with that cougar?

Its cool as schit!

Fugging commie.

Maybe try Molson caps?

Molson goes skunky in those green bottles, might as well try to drink warm buttwieser !

Fugging commie.

Maybe try Molson caps?

Molson goes skunky in those green bottles, might as well try to drink warm buttwieser !

I guess I could just buy a Ford, get a poodle, and drink ditch water !
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Originally Posted by joken2

. . . .Things change. Good neighbors now may not always be good neighbors. People sell out and move or die and heirs either move in or sell to whoever. . . . .

^ ^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^

Especially the sell to whoever part.
Many of the shake and bake realtors
are trying to buy many of the properties
all around here.
A lot of em around here are subdividing
like crazy and they become instant
slums in a decade or less.
Gets the taxes on up roof level and the
roads stay torn up
Do your research and don't be afraid to
walk away
Have you seen that picture of him with that cougar?

Its cool as schit!

Sure
Its a neat picture.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Originally Posted by Brad
The right 10 acres is perfect, the wrong 1000 acres isn’t... so “it depends.”

This.

I grew up on 3,200 acres. My home home is now on a 1/4 section of that place with 4.4 million acres in my backyard.

One would think that ANY land anywhere else would seem crowded...but, we bought a winter vacation home in Alabama for wintering on 4.5 acres on a spit of land sticking out into the lake that is as private as anyone could want. I run around in boxer briefs and piss off the deck and gazebo all the time...

Study hard...due diligence!! Good luck...
Posted By: bludog Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Neighbors houses are not in the sight line. Don't really know the situation with the larger plots that are farmed, with no houses around. Unless one of those gets broken up I don't see much that can change. I am currently in the subdivision with about a .2 acre lot and mine is a large one.. It would be nice to hunt the land, deer are by the pond in the pictures and yes they could be taken from the porch. Not that I would plan to do that.

We live on 42 acres in southern Boone County, about 20 minutes from the Mizzou campus. Mid-MO is generally a good turkey and deer area with good numbers and some nice bucks. We hunt our home place land some, but 16 years ago we bought an additional 147 acre place in Moniteau County, about 35 minutes away, where we do most of our deer hunting. In order to get free landowner hunting tags for fall deer and turkey, archery and firearm, and spring firearm turkey, you must have at least 20 acres of land. Otherwise, you must purchase the general deer or turkey tags you want. Personally, I'd recommend 20 acres minimum if you want to hunt on it and live on it. Just that much more area to sight your gun in, do a little habitat work, food plots, stands, etc, plus there should be more deer using the bigger piece of ground. Depends on the land of course, and where the house is located on it. Both our places are a mix of woods and fields, which is what I like for deer and turkey hunting. Wish you the best in finding your new home.

bludog

edit to add - taxes are reasonable for the most part depending on county,etc. Our property taxes on our land in Moniteau County is less than $300/yr. Our place with our house on it here in Boone is about 10x that. Still less than many states, I believe.
Posted By: Ejp1234 Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
I would not be happy with 10ac myself, but I guess its all perspective.... if your from the city and can mow your lot with a weed whacker, 10ac probably seems gigantic.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
The county tax map where the land is can give a lot of good information about the surrounding property, and that's what really matters. 10 acres surrounded by National Forest could be great. 20 acres surrounded by lots with deer dogs kept in pens could be hell.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
There are advantages to a smaller place in that you don't have as much to take care of when you are older and less energetic. It all depends on location and land type. Who your neighbors are.
Polk county. Hard decision to make, wife and I both like the house. We are only going to have one shot at doing it. Will not be the time or money to make a mistake and start over again... I as well would love 200+ acres, but the money is not there.

I lived in Polk County for a while, had a farm the next county over before that, and live two counties away now. If you have any questions about the area feel free to PM me.

Polk county, it matters where your place is. Bolivar is a bedroom community for Springfield with some of the associated issues when a place is inhabited by city-oriented folks. Also has a home for mental cases, and you will see them around town as they are allowed to roam some. The college makes rentals hard to get and expensive, and local property values are slightly inflated, as well.

That said, some areas of the county are really nice, particularly east of Bolivar and North of town. A lot depends on where you land and what you expect when you get there. The comments about the right neighbors are spot on. This isn't California, and folks pretty well do as they please. Good neighbors make life wonderful here. a bad neighbor can make you miserable. I know folks who live on well over a hundred acres who have had things stolen out of their barns and houses, and folks who live in lower priced lake(read, old houses and trailers, poor people) communities who have good neighbors. You need to visit any property and pay close attention to the neighbors, even meet them if you can, before you buy. I cannot overstate how much it matters here.
Shannon County Missouri.

Been to Shannon County, have you? I have, and I’d be damn picky about where I lived there, especially moving in there from out of state.
Posted By: Reba Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Six miles to town, on 40 acres tight fenced, with clear shooting lanes down all fence lines.....................................
Posted By: FOsteology Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Never would have thought it possible, but I hear tell one can get lost of 5 acres.... laugh
Posted By: joken2 Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20

How property lines run can make a big difference in how it can be used and how close potential neighbors could build, too. IE - wide and shallow / narrow and deep? Square? Rectangle? Zigzag angles?
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Just in case this hasn't been mentioned, if you are going to build or buy your house on a public road, try to make sure you get the land across the road as well as behind and to the sides of your building site. You don't want someone throwing up a shack right in front of you. A few days, months, or years from now you might wind up with a neighbor like me. grin

Ten acres seems very tight to me, but I'm a little spoiled. A lot depends on how your wife handles seclusion. Best advice is buy all the seclusion she will tolerate.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
10 acres is enough.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20

How property lines run can make a big difference in how it can be used and how close potential neighbors could build, too. IE - wide and shallow / narrow and deep? Square? Rectangle? Zigzag angles?

Very true. We first picked up 10 acres with our house - 1/4 mile deep by 330 wide...depending on how it lays you can have a decent range with 1/4 mile. Later picked up 10 acres adjoining, later 18 acres adjoining, later 75 acres adjoining....so what you start with may not be what you finish with.
Posted By: Huntz Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
I live on a 80 and it aint enough.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Never would have thought it possible, but I hear tell one can get lost on 5 acres.... laugh

Seems one would have to work at that....

DF
Posted By: bruinruin Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
I have 40. Wish it was 4,000.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
I have 11 +/- according to the deed. State highway and cow pasture in front, farmland and grass on the other three. Closest neighbor about 1/3 of a mile away, which we have some issues with. I wish we were further off the highway but it's more frequented by farmers and ranchers than anything else most of the year.

Most important things when considering land is water/access to water, septic, property access/easements and access to the grid. Once you figure these things out it's any easy decision if it's the right property. Then you have to figure out how to maintain the property once you find the right one.

Best advice is take a weeks vacation and go to MO and look at the properties you're interested in for a few days. Also talk with any potential neighbors if you can. You might move to MO and rent for a year while you look for land as well.
Posted By: logger Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Our land progress over the past 40 years started at 3 acres, then 40 (with a 1000 acre Trappist Abbey forest on a couple of sides) and currently 300 acres with the real BLM on two sides and no near neighbors. We would buy more if we could.
When looking for land (and we looked for 5 years for our current place) we focused on a secluded build-able location, water, easements and neighbors. In retrospect, we wished we had purchased the 80 acres to our south (about 1,3 miles from our house), but we were too conservative.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Grew up in Polk co. 🤷🏻‍♂️ My stepmom still has the 320 acre farm my dad built. We sold the last 100 acres of my grandpas farm 3-4 years ago, no house, got about $2500 per acre.

10 acre lots are generally referred to as gentlemen farmers, somebody just playin at farming 🤷🏻‍♂️

10 acres seems small to me, the house my mom built in the country is on 5 acres. House is on the back of the lot still easily seen from the road & road noise easily heard.

You say you like the house, and that’s good I suppose. But I personally would choose a larger parcel w a house I wasn’t crazy about or no house at all. You could put in a septic & move a nice used 5th wheel trailer on it, live in it while you built a house or had one built. Eddie Lollar builds good houses. When finished sell the trailer. 40 acres would be minimum if I wanted seclusion. 20 acres if I just wanted to stretch out a bit.

Will say this, while in the midst of the Bible Belt, Bolivar & Polk co. have wonderful folks living there. I loved growing up there & miss my mom, but Alaska sunk her claws deep within me. Just my .02 🤷🏻‍♂️
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Shooting range? Growing up we had it, missed (no pun) it ever since.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Forgot to mention Hubbert realty. Steve & Paula are honest, hard working folks that may be able to find you parcels at less cost per acre vs national re sites 🤷🏻‍♂️

Also, if you’re just looking for seclusion no gentleman farming, rocky places are cheaper than good farmland w pasture
Posted By: T_Inman Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20

[Linked Image from media4.giphy.com]
Not looking to farm, nor have any large animals. A range would,be nice, but perhaps not practical with only 10 acres. It has a shed/barn and attached shop, a plus. Close to fishing lakes as well. Checks most all boxes but perhaps the ability to hunt and shoot on the property. I would consider building, and we have a nice Jayco 5th wheel. Do not know the cost of building however. About $500K to spend. Yes true farm land in MO and elsewhere is expensive.
Originally Posted by T_Inman

[Linked Image from media4.giphy.com]

Haha!
Posted By: Clarkm Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Land is $2M/ acre in Seattle suburbs.
Location, location and location.

Depends on where it is.

DF
Posted By: elkmtb Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
maintenance is the big questions. My parents retired on 5 acres. it's not enough separation from the trashy neighbors who moved in after them. But the maintenance of mowing, picking up limbs, weedeating, spraying the driveaway is too much after 10 years. they are looking to downsize before it kills them. its a 5 day a week job almost to keep up. hard when its 85 and humid by 9am in the summer and stays over 95 till 9PM.

5 -10 acres of woods with a 1 acre home plot no fence lines is not the same as keeping up 5 acres up to look pretty. then consider more maintenance for the exterior with bugs and birds nest being built on everything.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/12/20
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Land is $2M/ acre in Seattle suburbs.

Im thinking demand will flatten off

#flattenthecurve
I’d bend on the location to get closer to 15-20 acres.
That or reallocate your individual budgets of land vs improvements. All a man needs is a shop with plumbing/electricity so you can finish out some living space
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Land WAS $2M/ acre in Seattle suburbs.

I'm thinking demand will flatten off

#flattenthecurve

Fixed it...

DF
Well, life is a compromise. FIL just gave a report on the property, passed with flying colors. Then got a call from the realtor. Offer over the asking. Not going to get in a bidding war. So the search continues for a bigger piece of land.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/13/20
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Very true. We first picked up 10 acres with our house - 1/4 mile deep by 330 wide...depending on how it lays you can have a decent range with 1/4 mile. Later picked up 10 acres adjoining, later 18 acres adjoining, later 75 acres adjoining....so what you start with may not be what you finish with.

That would be 30 acres.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/13/20
Originally Posted by mark shubert

That would be 30 acres.

Nope
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/13/20
So much depends on what's bordering the property. If it's public land, you're normally good. Around here, you never buy rural land without spending a lot of time looking at satellite views of the area. There are a lot of big dairies here and you really don't want to be less than 5 miles downwind of one. We have one 3 miles straight south of us. 2 or 3 times a year, we'll have a dead calm day and the smell will roll north and we get some of it. We can live with it a few times a year but to have to smell it all the time would be unlivable.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/13/20
Disregard....I am not even drinking yet and my train of thought is totally screwed up...
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/13/20
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Disregard....I am not even drinking yet and my train of thought is totally screwed up...

That's the time to think big and post a lot, then drink to forget about it
Posted By: reivertom Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/13/20

Only if it is surrounded by wilderness and not a bunch of idiots. To me that wouldn't cut it if I'm going to live away from everything. I'd have to have enough land to make it worthwhile, and enough to distance me from neighbors. I'd rather have a nice house in a small town and some undeveloped hunting land in the middle of nowhere that was close enough to drive to in 30 to 40 minutes.
Posted By: joken2 Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/13/20

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
So much depends on what's bordering the property. If it's public land, you're normally good. Around here, you never buy rural land without spending a lot of time looking at satellite views of the area. There are a lot of big dairies here and you really don't want to be less than 5 miles downwind of one. We have one 3 miles straight south of us. 2 or 3 times a year, we'll have a dead calm day and the smell will roll north and we get some of it. We can live with it a few times a year but to have to smell it all the time would be unlivable.

And you never know what changes so-called 'progress' might bring in at some point in the future, either. This area experienced such 'progress' a couple of decades ago with the coming of a major poultry processing plant. The property a huge main processing facility was built on was previously a several hundred acre farm along with a separate hatchery and a feed mill on what had been farm ground as well, but each in different adjoining counties.

Then came the many raising houses scattered all over owned and operated by private individuals with at least 5 acres to devote to a minimum of 2 raising houses. More acreage - more raising house... Property values nearby gradually went in the pits. One home owner next to the main processing plant finally just gave up trying to sell. Was a nice house and property, too. Like the dairy farms, when the wind was right forget about entertaining outdoors or indulging in any normally enjoyable outdoor activities. The closer to the processing plant and raising houses the worse the stench is too, wind or no wind.

Posted By: Crusader Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/13/20
Obviously, location is a determining factor in property taxes but I think Missouri's are pretty reasonable for rural land. I own 125 acres in NE MO, a mix of timber, crop land, and pasture and my taxes last year were $201.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/13/20
Originally Posted by mark shubert

That would be 30 acres.

No sir. It's 1320x1320 for a 40 acre square. 1320x330 is 10 acres.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/13/20
Originally Posted by reivertom

Only if it is surrounded by wilderness and not a bunch of idiots. To me that wouldn't cut it if I'm going to live away from everything. I'd have to have enough land to make it worthwhile, and enough to distance me from neighbors. I'd rather have a nice house in a small town and some undeveloped hunting land in the middle of nowhere that was close enough to drive to in 30 to 40 minutes.

Probably the best of both worlds.

DF
Posted By: smithrjd Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/13/20
That is an option that I am looking into. Seems much beyond 10 - 20 acres is $200K+ however.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/13/20
Depends on how old you are,.
When I moved here and bought 5 acres, it did not seem like enough .Now at my age 5 acres keep me busy taking care of it and if it were not for having neighbors, I could do with less
Posted By: joken2 Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/13/20

That is an option that I am looking into. Seems much beyond 10 - 20 acres is $200K+ however.

No idea about prices of undeveloped rural non to semi farmable acreage elsewhere in the country but $200K+ for 10 - 20 acres would be extremely high for like rural acreage around much of western Kentucky. Mother-in-law's 55 acre farm and homeplace sold for not much more than $100K just a few years ago and all but the yard of about 1-1/2 acres and about 3-4 acres of woods was good grain producing crop ground.
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/13/20
Bought 40 acres with a house that needed remodeling and had a greenhouse next to the house, in Laclede county, for 120k. That was slightly over appraisal. Half pasture, half mature timber, on a private dead end road, three ponds, one of which is large and a well established fishing pond. 4000 acres of Nature Conservancy a half mile away at the end of the road, around a thousand acres of state park adjoining that. Had bucks sparring in the pasture less than a hundred yards from the house last evening.

If you are looking at paying 200k for a ten or twenty acre plot in Polk County, it should have a decent house and maybe a barn or shop for that price, unless it is really close to Bolivar or in the southern part of the county close to Springfield. I sold a 30 acre place one county over from there last fall for 269k. It had an 1800 sf custom home built by me in 2016, three beds, two baths, Andersen windows throughout, heavily insulated(we heated and cooked for a year on 200 gallons of propane), plus a large screen porch overlooking the stocked pond in the yard. A 30x50 shop with concrete floor, roll up door, water and electric and climate controlled storage, and an old but serviceable barn. Trails through the mature timber for atv, and the house sat about 600ft. off the road, a state highway. Also had two other ponds, about half woods, half pasture. New well and septic, two electrical services, plus another old well that was functional at an old homesite.

Check out the area northeast of Bolivar, and maybe look at Dallas and Hickory counties as well. There is a lot of pretty good country within 30 minutes of Bolivar, and an hour or less from Springfield. I can be in Bolivar in 40 minutes and I live two counties away.

Where in Cali are you? You may find that you could live a considerable distance from your work or shopping here and still spend less time driving than you are use to where you are. If LA or SF, its guaranteed.

Posted By: smithrjd Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/13/20
Trip to work was about 20 minutes, now 45.. Since COVID back to 20 now, but they have us teleworking. Still looking, found several, but at 66 not sure I would want a 187 acre cattle farm with 60 in mature woods.. I am really open to the exact area. Anywhere in MO or perhaps Northern Arkansas. Prefer to be close to a lake for fishing, and not more than a couple of hours from a base as I am retired Navy. Going to talk to the realtor that had the house that fell out. They should see more than I can on the web.
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: 10 acres enough? - 10/14/20
Hickory county puts you within a half hour drive of three different lakes and a trout stream. Lucas Oil Speedway is over there at Wheatland, if you are into racing, they have all sorts of events. There is also the I-44 Speedway at Lebanon which is an hour away, and a dirt track off 65 north of Louisburg. Cheap taxes, very reasonable property, good country and good people. About a half hour to Bolivar or Warsaw for Walmart, if you need that. If you need a city, Springfield is about an hour and 15 minutes, or Kansas City is about 2 hours or a bit more away. Two hours or less to Fort Leonard Wood, big base at Waynesville, and about the same to the VA hospital at Columbia which is a very good one. It is where I will likely end up if I get crowded where I am, probably my favorite part of MO.

If you own at least 20 acres you can get landowner deer tags here, at no cost. I get three this year for my forty acre place. One buck, and two antlerless. A nice 60 acre place would be pretty good. Forty acres or more of timber, and a little open ground for gardening, raising a beef, or whatever. Lots of places over there with ponds or streams on them, too. Some very close to Pomme de Terre which is a really nice lake for fishing or boating. Much quieter and cleaner than Lake of the Ozarks. Nothing warms a house like a good stove full of oak or hickory, which we have in abundance here.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: 10 acres enough? - 11/20/20
You’re making me hungry for home OldGrayWolf.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: 10 acres enough? - 11/20/20
Used to have it made, would hunt Dalls sheep here in August for ten days, then hunt caribou, moose & bear for 28-42 days, then we’d fly home to visit my mom and I’d hunt quail or whitetail for 10 days or so, leaving four days for my mom, cause I’m a swell guy 🤦🏼‍♂️

Bout year 3 she informed me hanging out w my mom was fine while I hunted but I was takin her & the brood to Hawaii next year, which of course was about 6 weeks away by then. Women
Posted By: hanco Re: 10 acres enough? - 11/20/20
You need a minimum of 10 acres in Texas to get an Ag exemption on taxes. You might want to check on that? That saves a lot on taxes.
© 24hourcampfire