Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by 79S
Bullshit....you are so domesticated it ain't even funny.

I bet you apologize when you take a piss on the sod.

Damn one minute you are wishing ol smith good luck to this.. Ph uck did you run out of meds again? Do we need to send Deflave up their??

I was talking to the cougar killer!

Oh damn, you are being a big internet bully tonight

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Have you seen that picture of him with that cougar?

Its cool as schit!

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by jimy
I've planted thousands of Labatt blue bottle caps over the years with little success, I haven't figured out if its timing or seed depth, but I keep on keeping on !

Fugging commie.

Maybe try Molson caps?

Molson goes skunky in those green bottles, might as well try to drink warm buttwieser !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I've planted thousands of Labatt blue bottle caps over the years with little success, I haven't figured out if its timing or seed depth, but I keep on keeping on !

Fugging commie.

Maybe try Molson caps?

Molson goes skunky in those green bottles, might as well try to drink warm buttwieser !

I guess I could just buy a Ford, get a poodle, and drink ditch water !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by joken2

. . . .Things change. Good neighbors now may not always be good neighbors. People sell out and move or die and heirs either move in or sell to whoever. . . . .

^ ^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^

Especially the sell to whoever part.
Many of the shake and bake realtors
are trying to buy many of the properties
all around here.
A lot of em around here are subdividing
like crazy and they become instant
slums in a decade or less.
Gets the taxes on up roof level and the
roads stay torn up
Do your research and don't be afraid to
walk away

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you seen that picture of him with that cougar?

Its cool as schit!

Sure

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Its a neat picture.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
The right 10 acres is perfect, the wrong 1000 acres isn’t... so “it depends.”

This.

I grew up on 3,200 acres. My home home is now on a 1/4 section of that place with 4.4 million acres in my backyard.

One would think that ANY land anywhere else would seem crowded...but, we bought a winter vacation home in Alabama for wintering on 4.5 acres on a spit of land sticking out into the lake that is as private as anyone could want. I run around in boxer briefs and piss off the deck and gazebo all the time...

Study hard...due diligence!! Good luck...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Neighbors houses are not in the sight line. Don't really know the situation with the larger plots that are farmed, with no houses around. Unless one of those gets broken up I don't see much that can change. I am currently in the subdivision with about a .2 acre lot and mine is a large one.. It would be nice to hunt the land, deer are by the pond in the pictures and yes they could be taken from the porch. Not that I would plan to do that.

We live on 42 acres in southern Boone County, about 20 minutes from the Mizzou campus. Mid-MO is generally a good turkey and deer area with good numbers and some nice bucks. We hunt our home place land some, but 16 years ago we bought an additional 147 acre place in Moniteau County, about 35 minutes away, where we do most of our deer hunting. In order to get free landowner hunting tags for fall deer and turkey, archery and firearm, and spring firearm turkey, you must have at least 20 acres of land. Otherwise, you must purchase the general deer or turkey tags you want. Personally, I'd recommend 20 acres minimum if you want to hunt on it and live on it. Just that much more area to sight your gun in, do a little habitat work, food plots, stands, etc, plus there should be more deer using the bigger piece of ground. Depends on the land of course, and where the house is located on it. Both our places are a mix of woods and fields, which is what I like for deer and turkey hunting. Wish you the best in finding your new home.

bludog

edit to add - taxes are reasonable for the most part depending on county,etc. Our property taxes on our land in Moniteau County is less than $300/yr. Our place with our house on it here in Boone is about 10x that. Still less than many states, I believe.

Last edited by bludog; 10/12/20.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I would not be happy with 10ac myself, but I guess its all perspective.... if your from the city and can mow your lot with a weed whacker, 10ac probably seems gigantic.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The county tax map where the land is can give a lot of good information about the surrounding property, and that's what really matters. 10 acres surrounded by National Forest could be great. 20 acres surrounded by lots with deer dogs kept in pens could be hell.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
There are advantages to a smaller place in that you don't have as much to take care of when you are older and less energetic. It all depends on location and land type. Who your neighbors are.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Polk county. Hard decision to make, wife and I both like the house. We are only going to have one shot at doing it. Will not be the time or money to make a mistake and start over again... I as well would love 200+ acres, but the money is not there.

I lived in Polk County for a while, had a farm the next county over before that, and live two counties away now. If you have any questions about the area feel free to PM me.

Polk county, it matters where your place is. Bolivar is a bedroom community for Springfield with some of the associated issues when a place is inhabited by city-oriented folks. Also has a home for mental cases, and you will see them around town as they are allowed to roam some. The college makes rentals hard to get and expensive, and local property values are slightly inflated, as well.

That said, some areas of the county are really nice, particularly east of Bolivar and North of town. A lot depends on where you land and what you expect when you get there. The comments about the right neighbors are spot on. This isn't California, and folks pretty well do as they please. Good neighbors make life wonderful here. a bad neighbor can make you miserable. I know folks who live on well over a hundred acres who have had things stolen out of their barns and houses, and folks who live in lower priced lake(read, old houses and trailers, poor people) communities who have good neighbors. You need to visit any property and pay close attention to the neighbors, even meet them if you can, before you buy. I cannot overstate how much it matters here.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Shannon County Missouri.

Get me 1000 acres there someday.

Run me some July hounds......

Been to Shannon County, have you? I have, and I’d be damn picky about where I lived there, especially moving in there from out of state.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Six miles to town, on 40 acres tight fenced, with clear shooting lanes down all fence lines.....................................

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never would have thought it possible, but I hear tell one can get lost of 5 acres.... laugh

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

How property lines run can make a big difference in how it can be used and how close potential neighbors could build, too. IE - wide and shallow / narrow and deep? Square? Rectangle? Zigzag angles?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just in case this hasn't been mentioned, if you are going to build or buy your house on a public road, try to make sure you get the land across the road as well as behind and to the sides of your building site. You don't want someone throwing up a shack right in front of you. A few days, months, or years from now you might wind up with a neighbor like me. grin

Ten acres seems very tight to me, but I'm a little spoiled. A lot depends on how your wife handles seclusion. Best advice is buy all the seclusion she will tolerate.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
10 acres is enough.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by joken2

How property lines run can make a big difference in how it can be used and how close potential neighbors could build, too. IE - wide and shallow / narrow and deep? Square? Rectangle? Zigzag angles?

Very true. We first picked up 10 acres with our house - 1/4 mile deep by 330 wide...depending on how it lays you can have a decent range with 1/4 mile. Later picked up 10 acres adjoining, later 18 acres adjoining, later 75 acres adjoining....so what you start with may not be what you finish with.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,669
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.