Originally Posted by smithrjd
Neighbors houses are not in the sight line. Don't really know the situation with the larger plots that are farmed, with no houses around. Unless one of those gets broken up I don't see much that can change. I am currently in the subdivision with about a .2 acre lot and mine is a large one.. It would be nice to hunt the land, deer are by the pond in the pictures and yes they could be taken from the porch. Not that I would plan to do that.

We live on 42 acres in southern Boone County, about 20 minutes from the Mizzou campus. Mid-MO is generally a good turkey and deer area with good numbers and some nice bucks. We hunt our home place land some, but 16 years ago we bought an additional 147 acre place in Moniteau County, about 35 minutes away, where we do most of our deer hunting. In order to get free landowner hunting tags for fall deer and turkey, archery and firearm, and spring firearm turkey, you must have at least 20 acres of land. Otherwise, you must purchase the general deer or turkey tags you want. Personally, I'd recommend 20 acres minimum if you want to hunt on it and live on it. Just that much more area to sight your gun in, do a little habitat work, food plots, stands, etc, plus there should be more deer using the bigger piece of ground. Depends on the land of course, and where the house is located on it. Both our places are a mix of woods and fields, which is what I like for deer and turkey hunting. Wish you the best in finding your new home.

bludog

edit to add - taxes are reasonable for the most part depending on county,etc. Our property taxes on our land in Moniteau County is less than $300/yr. Our place with our house on it here in Boone is about 10x that. Still less than many states, I believe.

Last edited by bludog; 10/12/20.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."