Bought 40 acres with a house that needed remodeling and had a greenhouse next to the house, in Laclede county, for 120k. That was slightly over appraisal. Half pasture, half mature timber, on a private dead end road, three ponds, one of which is large and a well established fishing pond. 4000 acres of Nature Conservancy a half mile away at the end of the road, around a thousand acres of state park adjoining that. Had bucks sparring in the pasture less than a hundred yards from the house last evening.

If you are looking at paying 200k for a ten or twenty acre plot in Polk County, it should have a decent house and maybe a barn or shop for that price, unless it is really close to Bolivar or in the southern part of the county close to Springfield. I sold a 30 acre place one county over from there last fall for 269k. It had an 1800 sf custom home built by me in 2016, three beds, two baths, Andersen windows throughout, heavily insulated(we heated and cooked for a year on 200 gallons of propane), plus a large screen porch overlooking the stocked pond in the yard. A 30x50 shop with concrete floor, roll up door, water and electric and climate controlled storage, and an old but serviceable barn. Trails through the mature timber for atv, and the house sat about 600ft. off the road, a state highway. Also had two other ponds, about half woods, half pasture. New well and septic, two electrical services, plus another old well that was functional at an old homesite.

Check out the area northeast of Bolivar, and maybe look at Dallas and Hickory counties as well. There is a lot of pretty good country within 30 minutes of Bolivar, and an hour or less from Springfield. I can be in Bolivar in 40 minutes and I live two counties away.

Where in Cali are you? You may find that you could live a considerable distance from your work or shopping here and still spend less time driving than you are use to where you are. If LA or SF, its guaranteed.

Last edited by OldGrayWolf; 10/13/20.