Hickory county puts you within a half hour drive of three different lakes and a trout stream. Lucas Oil Speedway is over there at Wheatland, if you are into racing, they have all sorts of events. There is also the I-44 Speedway at Lebanon which is an hour away, and a dirt track off 65 north of Louisburg. Cheap taxes, very reasonable property, good country and good people. About a half hour to Bolivar or Warsaw for Walmart, if you need that. If you need a city, Springfield is about an hour and 15 minutes, or Kansas City is about 2 hours or a bit more away. Two hours or less to Fort Leonard Wood, big base at Waynesville, and about the same to the VA hospital at Columbia which is a very good one. It is where I will likely end up if I get crowded where I am, probably my favorite part of MO.

If you own at least 20 acres you can get landowner deer tags here, at no cost. I get three this year for my forty acre place. One buck, and two antlerless. A nice 60 acre place would be pretty good. Forty acres or more of timber, and a little open ground for gardening, raising a beef, or whatever. Lots of places over there with ponds or streams on them, too. Some very close to Pomme de Terre which is a really nice lake for fishing or boating. Much quieter and cleaner than Lake of the Ozarks. Nothing warms a house like a good stove full of oak or hickory, which we have in abundance here.

Last edited by OldGrayWolf; 10/13/20.